• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You think somewhere in the 45 range might be the result? Something like this, minus a cut veteran or two?

I'm just wondering how much of a mindset you and I share on the roster size.
Yea I'd say that's a pretty good prediction. While I would pick one or two different characters, I'd say that would be pretty close. The max roster spots (without transformations) I see the game getting is about 46 or 47. Expecting too many more probably isn't a good idea.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't even think there are 'potential Awakening characters' just Chrom. I'm not seeing why they'd opt for Lucina, if Roy already could make a better Luigified Marth clone. And the Avatar / Robin / My Unit / The Guy That Can Bang Anna Or Chrom's Sister Or Daughter lacks importance overall, and is far less iconic than the 'Lord' characters. Yeah cool, he's important in Awakening. And now what exactly?

My ideal 4 character Fire Emblem roster remains Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn. Marth and Roy for Japanese fans, Ike and Lyn for Western fans. Otherwise, I'm cool with Marth, Ike and Chrom / Roy to. I prefer Roy, but expect Chrom more out of the two. Cutting Ike though...

No.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Lip? Bubbles? Vaati? Lucina over Chrom? ... I'm preeety sure that this is not going to happen :/
No Olimar , WTF!
Lips can be used for a classic character as well as new female (okay that's not the full reason, but you get the point)

Bubbles would be another WTF character. Since we have at least one starter and unlockable that are WTF in every game, Bubbles can take that spot

Vaati I used as a fifth rep over Toon Zelda (which would most likely happen). Same for Lucina

**** didn't realize Oilmar was missing from that roster. Looks like I'm taking Lips out for that :/

?????????????

Smash Master
I don't even think there are 'potential Awakening characters' just Chrom. I'm not seeing why they'd opt for Lucina, if Roy already could make a better Luigified Marth clone. And the Avatar / Robin / My Unit / The Guy That Can Bang Anna Or Chrom's Sister Or Daughter lacks importance overall, and is far less iconic than the 'Lord' characters. Yeah cool, he's important in Awakening. And now what exactly?
No.
If Awakening does get a playable rep in SSB, I'd fully expect Chrom. Just wanted to be inclusive cause not everyone agrees on that.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Chrom or another FE: Awakening rep is very likely. I think the priority is much like Scoliosis said: Marth > FE: Awakening rep > Ike > Roy. Furthermore, like pizzadudemanguy said, FE: Awakening is more than just a game that sells well, it's an incredible milestone for the franchise. The only thing that might cause a bit of doubt for me is Chrom's voice actor saying he hasn't been hired for anything, but of course english voice implementation could happen later, or he might just not want to spoil anything. Either way, I'm sure there'll be an Awakening rep, most likely Chrom. Heck, much like with Ike during Brawl's hype, or Little Mac and Ridley now, an Awakening rep already has a stage waiting.

Regarding Fire Emblem I only really care for Marth and Ike, Marth because everybody loves him, and Ike because he's one of my mains. I don't mind another potential rep though, as long as Ike isn't axed for him/her.

?????????????

Smash Master
Chrom or another FE: Awakening rep is very likely. I think the priority is much like Scoliosis said: Marth > FE: Awakening rep > Ike > Roy. Furthermore, like pizzadudemanguy said, FE: Awakening is more than just a game that sells well, it's an incredible milestone for the franchise. The only thing that might cause a bit of doubt for me is Chrom's voice actor saying he hasn't been hired for anything, but of course english voice implementation could happen later, or he might just not want to spoil anything. Either way, I'm sure there'll be an Awakening rep, most likely Chrom. Heck, much like with Ike during Brawl's hype, or Little Mac and Ridley now, an Awakening rep already has a stage waiting.
I don't know if it's the direct reason or not, but no matter what, I'm sure that Chrom's voice actor doesn't want to (or can't) spoil anything about Chrom potentially being in SSB4. Especially after the Krystal thing from Brawl.

D

Deleted member

My ideal 4 character Fire Emblem roster remains Marth, Ike, Roy and Lyn. Marth and Roy for Japanese fans, Ike and Lyn for Western fans. Otherwise, I'm cool with Marth, Ike and Chrom / Roy to. I prefer Roy, but expect Chrom more out of the two. Cutting Ike though...

No.
Manly Ike would be the best Ike, especially with Axes.

And as most people would know, ofc I agree on Lyn.
>dat battoujutsu

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why would an Awakening rep get priority over Ike? Even Awakening the game itself showed a bias to Ike. Priam? He totally doesn't fit in the story. But he's there regardless. Continuity from the Tellius games in a continent that's Marth's? That's going against your way to fit something in. Ike is also regarded as the strongest of all warriors of the 'Outrealm World', Ragnell is a weapon that had changes to it due to continuity to. Chrom basically being Marth's descendant but based on Ike?

Intelligent Systems likes Ike. I doubt they'd cut him. 3 Fire Emblem characters is a likely scenario, and it's not gonna be 2 newcomers from Awakening and Marth. And to those saying ; 'Chrom could just take Ike's moveset', why the **** you blame me for wanting to do the same to Impa and Sheik (not even in the exact sence, but still)?

Ike's a badass, ain't nobody can deny that. And ain't nobody cutting him cause that +5 Def boost makes him invinsible for any cuts anyway

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What "look" should Ike have in SSB4 anyway? Traditional? Lord? Vanguard? I personally like Vanguard.
My guess is Sakurai will primarily base the FE character designs off Awakening, but since Ike's design wasn't too positively received, I think he'll amalgamate aspects of the Vanguard design into it as well, and create sort of an original look, similar to the SF characters previously.

D

Deleted member

What "look" should Ike have in SSB4 anyway? Traditional? Lord? Vanguard? I personally like Vanguard.
All 4.

He should get the starting one from RD as his main look, with Lord, Vanguard, and Traditional as alts.

Alt costumes better be a thing.

EDIT: the names for Ike's costumes are Ranger/Lord/Hero/Vanguard.

'Hero' is my personal favorite.

Anyway, what I posted on 4chan regarding the Chrom issue, since I'm not gonna repeat myself:

I ran a poll a while back.

The most popular lords in the west were the following.

>Ike
>Lucina
>Lyn
>Hector
>Chrom
>Ephriam
>Eirika
>Roy
>Marth
>Eliwood
>everyone else

In that order.

I ran the poll across multiple sites for 3 months, from reddit, to 4chan, to serenes forest, to neogaf, to gamefaqs, to machinima, to smashboards, etc...

I pooled in over 3000 votes, and those were the results. I can't remember the exact percentiles, and I'd have to go fishing for the old poll.

Regardless. Ike is the most popular lord in the west, moreso than Chrom, who even among FE fans, is seen as rather bland.

He's not "INCREDIBLY" popular, even Lyn and Hector who haven't seen a game in years are above him.

Also, fyi, FE6 was also a series revival, since it was the first game after the original director left.

And I don't see what Chrom can bring that Roy can't. Especially since Roy is on the more popular side in Japan, idk how he contrasts with the new lords though. All I know is that Marth is the most popular.

I don't think Chrom will ever get in over Ike, and I doubt he'd get in over Roy and Lyn, who've already made it onto the Smash series before, and are more popular. IS might want Chrom in, but they can't dictate the game's balance. Chrom could very well be, a simple AT.
Oh, and I think you guys are grasping at straws with the whole "voice actor" deal. Like with the Ridley stage deal, it means nothing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I vote for Vanguard to. As it suits his Smash character the most. It's the only class that makes Ike looks like a believable heavy weight. And allows for Axes, so that's awesome.

?????????????

Smash Master
Anyway, what I posted on 4chan regarding the Chrom issue, since I'm not gonna repeat myself:

Oh, and I think you guys are grasping at straws with the whole "voice actor" deal. Like with the Ridley stage deal, it means nothing.
There's no way Lyn and Roy are going to make it in over Chrom; it isn't just a popularity contest. Roy was already removed in SSB, so he'd need a damned good reason to return. Mewtwo has one. Roy does not.

Grasping at the straws? First, I'm just making the point that no one is going to spoil anything potential about the roster. I bet if you asked Ike's voice actor if he was signed on to SSB4, he'd say no (though they probably don't need new voice clips). Second, I'm not grasping at anything. It's not like Chrom is this amazingly incredible character I can't wait to see. I just think it's entirely, OBVIOUSLY a huge possibility.

D

Deleted member

There's no way Lyn and Roy are going to make it in over Chrom; it isn't just a popularity contest. Roy was already removed in SSB, so he'd need a damned good reason to return. Mewtwo has one. Roy does not.

Grasping at the straws? First, I'm just making the point that no one is going to spoil anything potential about the roster. I bet if you asked Ike's voice actor if he was signed on to SSB4, he'd say no (though they probably don't need new voice clips). Second, I'm not grasping at anything. It's not like Chrom is this amazingly incredible character I can't wait to see. I just think it's entirely, OBVIOUSLY a huge possibility.

Supposedly, Roy's data is in Brawl's disk, so it's likely he was removed due to time constraints. 2nd, Roy has more fan-support to get in than Chrom. 3rd, Roy does everything Chrom can, except more DAZZLING, 4th, there are rumors of an FE6 remake.

Chrom's only real merit is his recentness really. He fights like Ike, and weild's Marth's sword... amazing. Not saying it can't happen, since it's likely IS would push for him, but, Sakurai dictates the Roster, not IS.

In addition to their popularity, Lyn and Roy have the added benefit of already showing up in the Smash series in one way or another, and Lyn even gets the boost of being a much more interesting fighter than any of the other FE lords. Something Sakurai openly stated he'd look at this time around.

I'll see if I can look for the source, but he said:
"I won't be adding just ANYONE to my game this time around, for someone to get into Smash Bros, they need to bring in something unique that has not been seen in the Smash Bros series before."

Or something along those lines, but that was pretty much the final nail in Chrom's coffin as a playable. Could he still get in? Well... yes, but it's not likely.

I was just saying, that the VA saying 'no' means nothing for or against Chrom, just like Sakurai's comment on the Metroid stage, doesn't really confirm or deconfirm anything.

People implying 'he said "no" because he's clearly trying not to spoil the fact that he's done Chrom's voice in Smash' are clearly "grasping at straws." That's all I was saying.

Anyway, different topic, since I'm done with the FE talk. I get the feeling Mewtwo might be the next reveal. Dunno why, but it seems like a good time to reveal him next month. Thoughts?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's cause of his late promotion and troll stat growths. I liked Roy actually, cause that Sword of Seals is just awesome.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

So do you think chrom is going to be the 3rd character or do you think ike is going to be cut?
For me the only way chrom gets in is if ike gets cut, because chrom is just to similar to marth/ike already, personally I wouldn't want him as a PC I really don't want clones this time around. (and I really doubt that spear thing is happening.)

@manly, yeah sure mewtwo is a high possibility, but just watch it be jigglypuff :awesome:

?????????????

Smash Master
Supposedly, Roy's data is in Brawl's disk, so it's likely he was removed due to time constraints. 2nd, Roy has more fan-support to get in than Chrom. 3rd, Roy does everything Chrom can, except more DAZZLING, 4th, there are rumors of an FE6 remake.

Chrom's only real merit is his recentness really. He fights like Ike, and weild's Marth's sword... amazing. Not saying it can't happen, since it's likely IS would push for him, but, Sakurai dictates the Roster, not IS.

In addition to their popularity, Lyn and Roy have the added benefit of already showing up in the Smash series in one way or another, and Lyn even gets the boost of being a much more interesting fighter than any of the other FE lords. Something Sakurai openly stated he'd look at this time around.

I'll see if I can look for the source, but he said:
"I won't be adding just ANYONE to my game this time around, for someone to get into Smash Bros, they need to bring in something unique that has not been seen in the Smash Bros series before."

Or something along those lines, but that was pretty much the final nail in Chrom's coffin as a playable. Could he still get in? Well... yes, but it's not likely.

I was just saying, that the VA saying 'no' means nothing for or against Chrom, just like Sakurai's comment on the Metroid stage, doesn't really confirm or deconfirm anything.

People implying 'he said "no" because he's clearly trying not to spoil the fact that he's done Chrom's voice in Smash' are clearly "grasping at straws." That's all I was saying.

Anyway, different topic, since I'm done with the FE talk. I get the feeling Mewtwo might be the next reveal. Dunno why, but it seems like a good time to reveal him next month. Thoughts?
Even if Roy was removed due to time constraints, it means that he was seen as less of priority than other characters. I still think he needs a better reason to warrant a return after being cut.

I'd argue about the fan support; Chrom has plenty too. Additionally...a lot of the fan support I see for Roy is simply because Roy was in Melee. That's not the only reason, but I think all choices for FE should be made from a FE perspective, not just because something was already in SSB before.

I won't take rumors into serious consideration. I just don't.

I wouldn't use the "already has appeared in SSB" argument because it's unfair to this character; he has never had the opportunity to appear before. The same argument could have been made against Lucario or Ike in Brawl.

Not sure about that quote. I remember a similar one being said about 3rd party characters, but I think you're right in that that quote appeared. In any case, I still think that Chrom has more than a fair shot as a character.

Okay, I just needed clarification for the VA thing.

Mewtwo's possible and I love it, but they may stick to just revealing veterans for now. Could also be Pokemon Trainer next month.

That's cause of his late promotion and troll stat growths. I liked Roy actually, cause that Sword of Seals is just awesome.
To me, that comes down to character vs. fighting style. Is it more important to have a character that would be interesting moveset-wise or a character who is more important to the series? I think ultimately, the more important character to the series will win out.

That's not to say Roy isn't important to Fire Emblem, but...the thing that makes him interesting is the sword right? Not Roy himself.

Since most Fire Emblem games focus on a new protagonist each time, I think it makes sense to represent the latest one, which we saw in Roy and Ike's inclusions. I think both Marth and Ike make sense as well, as the most recurring and referenced protagonists.

So do you think chrom is going to be the 3rd character or do you think ike is going to be cut?
For me the only way chrom gets in is if ike gets cut, because chrom is just to similar to marth/ike already, personally I wouldn't want him as a PC I really don't want clones this time around. (and I really doubt that spear thing is happening.)
I could see it going either way; even though Ike has A TON of merit on his own to be in SSB4, I think Chrom totally follows up Ike being in SSBB without Roy. The circumstances are VERY different, and I think Ike is much better established than Roy ever was, but the same situation COULD happen again.

Ultimately, I disagree that Chrom could not be unique. As it is, a majority of Marth and Ike's movesets are created from scratch and use references from animations seen in-game. I think doing the same for Chrom is just as simple; create different sword attacks from scratch, and use animations (as well as references from the cutscenes) to build his moveset, like that spinning front-flip pinwheel attack he does.

I disagree with the general notion that just because several characters who all happen to be from the same series and all happen to use the same type of weapon (sword) means that they have to be similar to eachother moveset-wise. I think Marth, Ike, and Chrom can co-exist and play differently.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Marth, Ike, Chrom is more unique than Fox, Falco, Wolf. In that sence, I have no problem with them actually. It's just that... I would like other characters before Chrom. Marth and Ike are actually my favorite Lords anyway so... :laugh:

?????????????

Smash Master
Marth, Ike, Chrom is more unique than Fox, Falco, Wolf. In that sence, I have no problem with them actually. It's just that... I would like other characters before Chrom. Marth and Ike are actually my favorite Lords anyway so... :laugh:
My favorite lords are Ike and Lyn.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
To me, that comes down to character vs. fighting style. Is it more important to have a character that would be interesting moveset-wise or a character who is more important to the series? I think ultimately, the more important character to the series will win out.

That's not to say Roy isn't important to Fire Emblem, but...the thing that makes him interesting is the sword right? Not Roy himself.

Since most Fire Emblem games focus on a new protagonist each time, I think it makes sense to represent the latest one, which we saw in Roy and Ike's inclusions. I think both Marth and Ike make sense as well, as the most recurring and referenced protagonists.

I could see it going either way; even though Ike has A TON of merit on his own to be in SSB4, I think Chrom totally follows up Ike being in SSBB without Roy. The circumstances are VERY different, and I think Ike is much better established than Roy ever was, but the same situation COULD happen again.

Ultimately, I disagree that Chrom could not be unique. As it is, a majority of Marth and Ike's movesets are created from scratch and use references from animations seen in-game. I think doing the same for Chrom is just as simple; create different sword attacks from scratch, and use animations (as well as references from the cutscenes) to build his moveset, like that spinning front-flip pinwheel attack he does.

I disagree with the general notion that just because several characters who all happen to be from the same series and all happen to use the same type of weapon (sword) means that they have to be similar to eachother moveset-wise. I think Marth, Ike, and Chrom can co-exist and play differently.
Spinning front-flip pinwheel attack=ike's aether, he even has ike's quick draw.... he doesn't bring anything new to the table, why would they start something from scratch, when other characters like roy, ike, or lyn actually have viable movesets that don't need to be thought over and could easily be copy/pasted from their games. Chrom cannot have his moves copy/pasted from his games because its marth's/ike's moves, his character was inspired by both of them. like i said, the only way he's getting in is if ike is cut, and he's given a similar ike-like moveset. (which in my opinion, i don't see happening.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Lol, let's copy paste Ike's moveset on Chrom.
Good idea!

Lol, let's copy paste Sheik's moveset on Impa.
*insert marine text about gorilla warfare*

I love this community. So tollerant.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Lol, let's copy paste Ike's moveset on Chrom.
Good idea!

Lol, let's copy paste Sheik's moveset on Impa.
*insert marine text about gorilla warfare*

I love this community. So tollerant.
hmm? well yeah that's about the only way it would work, give chrom a strength and speed moveset (like ike has) but it only work if ike was cut (which probably won't happen).

As for impa, well yeah that's a good idea too, that is if sakurai wants to rep skyword sword that badly. (which is a big if)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Here's a better idea.
Have Impa and Chrom with Ike and Shiek and give them unique non-pasted movesets.

Yeah, that'd be nice.
so your telling me you don't want some moves to derive from the game a said character was in? Lol
I'd like to know how chrom would be unique, (and don't say spears). and imo can't be all 4, it's either gonna be ike or chrom, impa or sheik.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey guys,what's your opinion about jigglypuff's return and her rest attack?
I think she will return and I hope that rest will be replaced with a fairy type,because rest is the most stupid attack ever...,people only like it because it is powerful...

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think she will return and I hope that rest will be replaced with a fairy type,because rest is the most stupid attack ever...,people only like it because it is powerful...
Jiggs returns.
Keep Rest, Sing, and Rollout, but make this her moveset.
B: Sing
Forward B: Rollout
Up B: Fairy Move
Down B: Rest
Pound's not too great anyway.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I think she will be return, and I don't think rest will or should go anywhere. If any of her attacks should be replaced, it's sing, because of how useless it is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom