• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's another inconsistency. Ridley was a boss so always a boss. Charizard was a Pokeball Pokémon, so....oh wait. He's playable now. Oops.

There's always a double standard.

@BKupa

That's just it though. That's the double standard. Ridley is huge. K.Rool is huge (and has been successfully resized). However, Ridley cannot be resized, but it's okay for K.Rool. It's ****ing stupid.

Ridley detractors are by far the dumbest group in all of Smash speculation. I'm serious. They stick with one argument, and don't concede any points. They repeat the same garbage, and when they are challenged or proven wrong, they do nothing to change their argument.

****ing stupid.
Tell me about it :p

One of the most recent and stupid arguments I've seen recently is relating to Bowser. It's not really a problem to resize Bowser, we should all know this by now, and that's because size isn't an important part of his character, he is scaled up and down depending on which scenario he needs to fit in. However, whenever a Ridley detractor talks about Bowser's size, they talk about how he uses magic to size up and size down in Sunshine, Galaxy, Galaxy 2, etc. This argument is pure gold when you take into consideration that Bowser was included as a playable character in Smash Bros in 2001, where he appeared only somewhat taller than Mario in the majority of his appearances (64 being the one exception). That also means he isn't a very good pro-Ridley argument either, but he's a good comparison on how developers handle sizes in the source games, as Ridley too is scaled up and down in Metroid depending on the scenario he needs to fit in, and he can be scaled as such because size isn't a vital part of his character.

It's just a classic example of how Ridley detractors over-complicate a non-existant issue.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Well, we got our first assist trophy. What does everyone think of it?

Very happy, honestly. I love Majora's Mask, but didn't want him as playable. (DAT MODEL THOUGH)

And in other thoughts, Nintendo is transitioning to the Executor Phase, killing our hopes and dreams of characters.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
How far do you guys think sakurai is in development if he is already doing AT's?
To the point where Sakurai has a majority of the roster done but wanted to try something else and troll us. :awesome:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
How far do you guys think sakurai is in development if he is already doing AT's?
The game is certainly much farther in development than what we see. I imagine that they'd have characters like Dedede, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Wario, Zelda, etc of high priority, and at least in playable state right now. That should give an idea of how much we haven't seen yet.

Once 2014 kicks off I'm sure we're going to get a better idea how far they are, since that should be when the news-train begins rolling for good. We're also soon reaching the amount of time Brawl was in developement.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Looks like Skull Kid has been disconfirmed... I'm glad.

However, it means assist trophies are back. We may see more disconfirmations in the near future.
Xerneas pretty much meant the return of Poke Ball Pokemon. Anyway, the Skull Kid really didn't have much going on for him, so the Assist Trophy status works out great for him.

Perhaps Cranky Kong may be the next Assist Trophy, along with his mockery towards today's games.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
No considering how much I love Majoras Mask, I'll be serious for a second and state my thoughts on the pic of the day.

First off, Skull Kid was my second most wanted character for SSB4, right behind N64 Logo,
I am starting to think he is better off as an assist then a playable character, as all I really wanted him to do was bring down that moon.
And an assist is better than not being in at all, so I am glad.

Secondly, the addition of Skull Kid could indicate several things of Sakurais mindset.
Is Sakurai finally listening to fan demand?
Maybe he is taking the highly requested, but might not that popular or unique, characters and making them assists.

Third, I am honestly terrified. I had a dream last night were I was talking to Sakurai, and he asked me my 3 most wanted fighters for Super Smash Bros. For WiiU/3DS, and I said Skull Kid, N64 Logo, and Reggie Fils-Amie in that order.
And he said "I'll see what I can do, and keep checking the website."

I'm not sure if I have some sort of physic powers, I sleepwalk, or it's just a huge coincidence.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Now now let's not jump to that kind of conclusion, just because the Assist Trophy item is back doesn't mean all of the same Assist Trophy Characters will be back in their old roles too, after all. The Pokeball item had met it's good share of Pokemon who were removed or swapped out throughout the Smash series. Heck even one of them became a playable character in Brawl after two games of being an assisting Pokeball Pokemon.

Though I guess we can expect a handful of old Assist Trophy characters from Brawl remaining in their old roles, or some might perhaps become stage elements this time around etc. Can't deny that. :T Though I think that there is a chance that at least one or maybe two will become playable this time around....

Well I dunno, but Charizard was a freaking Charizard. Popularity or some niche filled in perhaps?
Besides they just needed some PKMN to fill in the place as one of Red's picks.

I mean I could see Little Mac (MAYBE) but others are basically in the same path as Toad was right now when it comes to anticipating 'em.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I dunno, but Charizard was a freaking Charizard. Besides they just needed some PKMN to fill in the place as one of Red's picks.

I mean I could see Little Mac but others are basically in the same path as Toad was right now when it comes to anticipating 'em.
I guess we will have to wait and see about that. I don't think all of Brawl's assist trophies will come back as assist trophies but probably a number of them will. I can see a few of them becomming playable or serve a different role in the games though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I can't wait for Ghirahim's fate. :troll:
I guess since Skull Kid is a one-shot Zelda villain (a rather good one in fact) and he is an assist, If say Ghirahim is unlikely for an assist,
And since one shots have never made in as a playable character.

So I guess you can say Skull Kid caused Ghirahim a terrible fate, hasn't he?

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I hope this means Tingle got promoted to playable character. Which would bring even more tears to Skull Kid fans and Tingle haters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I guess we'll see. But like usual, I'm expecting now the least, and preparing for the worst. This game's not gonna be hypeable for remainder of the year in my eyes due lack of info (not that it's needed now but yeah)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's understandable. I'm keeping my expectations low as well for these games. Especially since some of the "realistic" roster predictions I've tried to make seem to be a little on the dry side so I'm not expecting too many hypable characters in these games besides the likes of K.Rool and Ridley.... :/

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm REALLY happy to see Skull Kid as an Assist Trophy. I never thought he stood a chance as a playable character, but he's one of my favorite Zelda characters.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Ridley also seems plausible, certainly, but the difference between him and everyone else is that he's a monster.All of the other characters are humanoid. Even R.O.B. has some sort of intelligence.It's difficult to identify with a character that lacks human characteristics.
Characters don't need to be humans to be playable...

kirby.png

Kirby is a good example.

Gryffin

Smash Cadet
Obviously, people tried to predict Brawl's roster before everything was announced. But I didn't follow it at all. In general, did Smash Boards correctly predict Brawl's roster? I ask because the results themselves would seem to predict these predictions.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
No considering how much I love Majoras Mask, I'll be serious for a second and state my thoughts on the pic of the day.

First off, Skull Kid was my second most wanted character for SSB4, right behind N64 Logo,
I am starting to think he is better off as an assist then a playable character, as all I really wanted him to do was bring down that moon.

Secondly, the addition of Skull Kid could indicate several things of Sakurais mindset.
Is Sakurai finally listening to fan demand?
Maybe he is taking the highly requested, but might not that popular or unique, characters and making them assists.

Third, I am honestly terrified. I had a dream last night were I was talking to Sakurai, and he asked me my 3 most wanted fighters for Super Smash Bros. For WiiU/3DS, and I said Skull Kid, N64 Logo, and Reggie Fils-Amie in that order.
And he said "I'll see what I can do, and keep checking the website."

I'm not sure if I have some sort of physic powers, I sleepwalk, or it's just a huge coincidence.
The one time I make a slighty intelligent, everyone ignores it.
I am honestly really scared of that last part.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
The one time I make a slighty intelligent, everyone ignores it.
I am honestly really scared of that last part.
Theres actually alot of evidence showing symbolism in dreams can relate to events in your life. Now yours is pretty accurate, but id write it off as a coincidence.

But about our little buddy Skull Kid.

He had some potential to be a playable character, and I kept my hopes up. He was in 3 games so there was plenty to draw a moveset from. Its good hes an assist trophy tho, I think all I wanted to see was the moon crashing down as his FS, but im guessing that will be his assist move.

Now theres room for the other recurring zelda villain, Vaati :troll:

D

Deleted member

With Assist Trophies returning, it will be sad times in the near future…
Hearts will be broken and dreams will be shattered… so prepare yourselves.

Well, we got our first assist trophy. What does everyone think of it?

Very freaking cool! I hope that he summons the Moon!

I'm wondering if this game's gonna do add actually anything new compared to Brawl. Seems like these times will be pre-Brawl all over again.
Also this basically tells us that the old Assists are back. Ah well, I haven't done anything to support Starfy anyway.
Hey! Don't be losing hope!
None of Brawl's Assist Trophies have been confirmed to return yet! Some Poke Ball Pokemon either reprise their roles or they are outright removed. In the case of Charizard, he became a playable character. While Charizard is one of the most popular Pokemon and should have been playable for a while now, I feel confident that some Assist Trophies will become playable characters. I am extremely confident in Little Mac being playable and I have some hope for Starfy as he is one of Japan's most requested characters.
Just because Assist Trophies are returning (and we ALL knew that they would) doesn't mean that all of them will reprise their roles. I can see most of them returning, but I see 1-3 becoming characters on the roster.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Theres actually alot of evidence showing symbolism in dreams can relate to events in your life. Now yours is pretty accurate, but id write it off as a coincidence.

But about our little buddy Skull Kid.

He had some potential to be a playable character, and I kept my hopes up. He was in 3 games so there was plenty to draw a moveset from. Its good hes an assist trophy tho, I think all I wanted to see was the moon crashing down as his FS, but im guessing that will be his assist move.

Now theres room for the other recurring zelda villain, Vaati :troll:
I agree with the moveset and moon thing.

Wait a minute, what time of the morning was the we site updated?
Because I woke up from that dream at sometime around 2:30 - 4:30

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What this means to me is probably we'll see pretty minor characters become ATs, I think this already deconfirms characters like Ghirahim and probably Waluigi again.
You dare call Waluigi a minor character!?

I don't want to get into this argument, but he could represent the spin-offs, a major part of the Mario games.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I feel like the zelda series got shafted in the AT department last time, so im finally glad to see there might be one thats worthwhile to get. Im sure skull kids scream will send fear through everyone on the stage.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Ah, so relieving to know that all those suckers at {insert random webpage} that persisted on declaring that Skull Kid was a shoo-in will slowly decay.

Never have I been so happy to have the Assist Trophies confirmed.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I'll be damned, Assist Trophies are back. :O

Pretty sure we won't be seeing the same ATs as in Brawl, some of them will most likely be upgraded to full character status.
But it's great to have some new faces in the game, even if it's just ATs.

At least I enjoyed them in Brawl throughout the first years, and just recently due to me playing through the Single Player campaigns to unlock the challenges.
They also introduced me to Saki and Sin & Punishment, my 4th favorite Nintendo franchise.

I think we'll be seeing Mach Rider as an AT at some point. He'd be a smaller version of Galleom from the SSE.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
GOD DAMN IT SAKURAI!!!! YOU MADE ME THINK SKULL KID WAS PLAYABLE!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, guess I was right about him being an Assist Trophy.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
List of Assist Trophies that I would like to see. Some of which I'd prefer being playable characters (Mike Jones, Chibi-Robo, etc), but have little to no chance of making it in. Therefore, I hope they make appearances as Assist Trophies at the least.

Mike Jones (Startropics)

Hakkun (Sutte Hakkun)

Pockle (GiFTPiA)

Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo series)

Yamanouchi Kagetora (Odama)

Riki (Xenoblade Chronicles) If not him, then possibly Dunban, Fiora (Mechon body), or D!ckson.

Might edit with other additions later.

...I still can't believe you genuinely want N64 logo as a character in Smash.

-----

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nah, the perfect Final Smash would be sending the moon crashing on the stage like he did to the final boss in The Legendary Starfy. Skull Kid deconfirmed! :awesome:
Holy ****! I was right about him being deconfirmed after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom