• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
Hey guys, I'm starting to make a new tutorial series for Rivals of Aether. Too often I'm asked "What's the difference" or "Who does this character play like?" and I want to make a series of video going through the characters and differences between this game and other smash titles. That being said, I'm horrible at naming things. Any ideas? I was thinking "A Taste of Aether" since my name within the fighting game community is "Flavored", what do you guys think?
i think the name is really good, just don't forget to put the word alpha on the name of the video as so as on the description of it!
come join us on youtube :D \o\ !

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Hey guys, I'm starting to make a new tutorial series for Rivals of Aether. Too often I'm asked "What's the difference" or "Who does this character play like?" and I want to make a series of video going through the characters and differences between this game and other smash titles. That being said, I'm horrible at naming things. Any ideas? I was thinking "A Taste of Aether" since my name within the fighting game community is "Flavored", what do you guys think?
That name sounds good, but make sure you don't miss the opportunity to name the Orcane video "Now You're Thinking With Puddles." :p

Unrelatedly, I've been at work on making my Pink/Indigo costume theme (which I've decided to name "Candy"), but I keep having to marginalize the indigo. It's not even present on my Orcane at all, but it's the main color on Wrastor. The unity of the theme is pretty out of whack as a result.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
hey i was playing against the cpu testing some combos i dreamt of (yes we reached that level folks...)

and then something really weird happened... I don't know if this is meant to be or has already been discovered..

I was playing Kragg (YES MORE KRAGG BUGS --maybe-- ) and what i did was i neutral b and threw the stone block on enemy kragg that was standing on the platform. As soon as he got hit i side-b below the block while it was still in contact with the bottom part of the platform, and the block just stayed still in the air.

What i thnk happened : the block hit the opponent and stood in between the plaftorm, when i side b it toouched only 1 hitbox of the upper part of my side b, and as the block is "looking for" a place to land it tryed to land at that hit box, being it impossible it just stuck on the bottom part of the platform (this can be complete nonsense since i'm not technical enough with game physics, but i tryed)

I'm sorry i cannot record a video now because my internet is terrible where i am at and it would take ages to load, but here is a pic. The block is fixed where it is now, it is not falling.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
hey i was playing against the cpu testing some combos i dreamt of (yes we reached that level folks...)

and then something really weird happened... I don't know if this is meant to be or has already been discovered..

I was playing Kragg (YES MORE KRAGG BUGS --maybe-- ) and what i did was i neutral b and threw the stone block on enemy kragg that was standing on the platform. As soon as he got hit i side-b below the block while it was still in contact with the bottom part of the platform, and the block just stayed still in the air.

What i thnk happened : the block hit the opponent and stood in between the plaftorm, when i side b it toouched only 1 hitbox of the upper part of my side b, and as the block is "looking for" a place to land it tryed to land at that hit box, being it impossible it just stuck on the bottom part of the platform (this can be complete nonsense since i'm not technical enough with game physics, but i tryed)

I'm sorry i cannot record a video now because my internet is terrible where i am at and it would take ages to load, but here is a pic. The block is fixed where it is now, it is not falling.

Yeah it's happened before. Works as long as a kragg rock, orcane puddle, or zetterburn downB fire are overlapping with a platform as the pillar is removed from below it. I've got it down on my list already.

SgtFunShinebear

Smash Rookie
I spent roughly 3 hours working on the first 45 seconds of my video. Why did no one tell me video editing is hard?

Anyways the first video is on Zetterburn. Does anyone have something they feel should be added, that may easily be overlooked?

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I spent roughly 3 hours working on the first 45 seconds of my video. Why did no one tell me video editing is hard?

Anyways the first video is on Zetterburn. Does anyone have something they feel should be added, that may easily be overlooked?
I don't know that much about Zetterburn but I think @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam will know some stuff, he is a Zetterburn Expert after all.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
Yeah it's happened before. Works as long as a kragg rock, orcane puddle, or zetterburn downB fire are overlapping with a platform as the pillar is removed from below it. I've got it down on my list already.
it seems i'm not going fast enough :( lol

[;)]

Smash Rookie
NNID
Keysus
As far as 1v1 is concerned, how aggressive is the playstyle as compared to 64, melee, brawl, and PM?
I've seen a few gameplay videos and I've seen wavedashing and the game was quite fast I'd compare it to melee for surew

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique

My personal experience using Zetterburn that I can remember off the top of my head:

• I never use down Special unless I can catch an opponent off guard guaranteed.
  • I approach with short hop side Specials and dash attacks from the ground
  • I approach with full hop fair (trying to sweet spot it) and neutral aerial from the air
  • down Aerial is not a reliable approach, but sets up for up-tilt into an aerial for a combo
  • at close range, getting off a back Aerial can mean a free down Strong attack immediately after, but that can't be followed up and you reset to neutral.
  • Try to have the opponent on fire as often as you can, but don't make it the primary objective. If you spam, you're going to do bad in a match. Try to incorporate fire moves into combos, like back Aerial and side Special (which has two hitboxes, the projectile and Zetterburn's mane).
  • You can gimp some characters with up Special if you use it off stage and angle yourself in a way that you hit the opponent from above while recovering, but still am able to wall jump afterwards and actually recover.
  • Kill moves: All Strong attacks, up Aerial sweet spot, forward Aerial sweet spot, down Aerial (on Zetterburn and Orcanes that don't have puddles to recover to), up Special gimps, catching people off guard or punishing an opponent who rolls towards you with down Special.
  • jab combo is amazing. You can do it immediately out of a neutral Special, to rack up damage that way, then follow up with a side Special or a down Aerial into another string of hits depending on the opponents percent.
  • I personally think Zetterburn sucks against a Kragg that knows how to use down Special and neutral Special (rock) effectively. Space forward Aerials to not get hit by Kragg down Special, and know how to consistently Parry the rock as well as keeping Kragg in the air above you since his only option to get back down is to DI or neutral Aerial. Also Recover low and hug the wall, then wall jump and up Special again, because Kragg rock destroys Zetterburn in this matchup. If the Kragg knows it's options for how to use the rock to block your recovery, there's next to nothing you can do about it.
  • Zetterburn has a hard time getting combos off on Wrastor because of the lighter weight. Try using up Aerials to kill, or rack up damage with fire more than you would against any other character. I find most of my kills at the top of the screen or the upper sides of the screen from getting off a well placed forward Aerial or Strong attack. I enjoy using up Strong attacks a lot in this matchup.
  • Orcane can go either way. Try to catch him off guard and get him offstage when he doesn't have a puddle. If he does and you know for sure that he has to use it to return, charge a forward Strong attack or a down Strong attack while you're waiting for the Orcane to recovery with up Special. You generally want to kill him off the sides or the bottom of the screen.
  • Zetterburn Dittos are pretty much who can control the space with fire and who can do better in neutral with approaches, as well as keep combos going when you do get a hit in. Gimps here can be easy once you get Zetterburn offstage.

SgtFunShinebear

Smash Rookie
My personal experience using Zetterburn that I can remember off the top of my head:

• I never use down Special unless I can catch an opponent off guard guaranteed.
  • I approach with short hop side Specials and dash attacks from the ground
  • I approach with full hop fair (trying to sweet spot it) and neutral aerial from the air
  • down Aerial is not a reliable approach, but sets up for up-tilt into an aerial for a combo
  • at close range, getting off a back Aerial can mean a free down Strong attack immediately after, but that can't be followed up and you reset to neutral.
  • Try to have the opponent on fire as often as you can, but don't make it the primary objective. If you spam, you're going to do bad in a match. Try to incorporate fire moves into combos, like back Aerial and side Special (which has two hitboxes, the projectile and Zetterburn's mane).
  • You can gimp some characters with up Special if you use it off stage and angle yourself in a way that you hit the opponent from above while recovering, but still am able to wall jump afterwards and actually recover.
  • Kill moves: All Strong attacks, up Aerial sweet spot, forward Aerial sweet spot, down Aerial (on Zetterburn and Orcanes that don't have puddles to recover to), up Special gimps, catching people off guard or punishing an opponent who rolls towards you with down Special.
  • jab combo is amazing. You can do it immediately out of a neutral Special, to rack up damage that way, then follow up with a side Special or a down Aerial into another string of hits depending on the opponents percent.
  • I personally think Zetterburn sucks against a Kragg that knows how to use down Special and neutral Special (rock) effectively. Space forward Aerials to not get hit by Kragg down Special, and know how to consistently Parry the rock as well as keeping Kragg in the air above you since his only option to get back down is to DI or neutral Aerial. Also Recover low and hug the wall, then wall jump and up Special again, because Kragg rock destroys Zetterburn in this matchup. If the Kragg knows it's options for how to use the rock to block your recovery, there's next to nothing you can do about it.
  • Zetterburn has a hard time getting combos off on Wrastor because of the lighter weight. Try using up Aerials to kill, or rack up damage with fire more than you would against any other character. I find most of my kills at the top of the screen or the upper sides of the screen from getting off a well placed forward Aerial or Strong attack. I enjoy using up Strong attacks a lot in this matchup.
  • Orcane can go either way. Try to catch him off guard and get him offstage when he doesn't have a puddle. If he does and you know for sure that he has to use it to return, charge a forward Strong attack or a down Strong attack while you're waiting for the Orcane to recovery with up Special. You generally want to kill him off the sides or the bottom of the screen.
  • Zetterburn Dittos are pretty much who can control the space with fire and who can do better in neutral with approaches, as well as keep combos going when you do get a hit in. Gimps here can be easy once you get Zetterburn offstage.
A lot of great info here, especially since I haven't been able to get a ton of experience in certain matchups. Thanks!

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Throw in that you can combo into the startup of Zetter's up B to kill off the ceiling upon taking off if you combo into it with a few up airs to get them near the ceiling blastline.

SNEAKY_URKEL

Smash Apprentice
I know that changing the ceiling height would change balance, but I feel like they feel almost disproportionate. Perhaps it's just my Smash experience making me want it to be closer to Melee, but I killing off of the top seems a lot more common and much less risky than trying to go for horizontal kills.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
So I've been meaning to ask, how exactly does wave dashing in this game work? Is it the same button inputs just a much larger frame window to do it like in PM, is it a single button press (like it SHOULD be) or something else entirely? And how important is it to gameplay and tactics? Can you play perfectly competitively without advance techs and are there any other technical skills? (I hope not)

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
So I've been meaning to ask, how exactly does wave dashing in this game work? Is it the same button inputs just a much larger frame window to do it like in PM, is it a single button press (like it SHOULD be) or something else entirely? And how important is it to gameplay and tactics? Can you play perfectly competitively without advance techs and are there any other technical skills? (I hope not)
I feels easier than PM, but I can't say for sure as I'm fine with either. You don't become helpless if you Air-dodge midair though so that isn't as punishable or suicidal.
You can still tech of you hit a wall/ground in hitstun but it seems the window is easier as well.
L-canceling doesn't exist.
IMO the hardest Tech is probably wall-jumping and for that you flick the control stick into and away from the wall.

I don't think that Wavedashing should be one button. It actually is kind of intuitive once you are okay with the idea that an Air-dodge grants momentum; it is kind of like "why can they jump midair?"

Keeping combos going and getting out of them are probably the biggest factors in playing competitive, that is if you haven't yet mastered getting parries 100%.

Also don't be afraid of techs: they just grant you more options. More options, more choices, less limits.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ Yurya Yurya wall jumping in RoA is different from any other smash game.

You hold towards the wall and hit the jump button. I don't think it works with tap jump at all according to my roommate.

Nothing about holding towards wall and the flicking 180 degrees away. It's much different and much easier than that.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Uhhh walljumping is just holding towards the wall and pressing jump.
@ Yurya Yurya wall jumping in RoA is different from any other smash game.

You hold towards the wall and hit the jump button. I don't think it works with tap jump at all according to my roommate.

Nothing about holding towards wall and the flicking 180 degrees away. It's much different and much easier than that.
Shows me how much my muscle memory has changed and my Smash tech is messed up.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
If a side-B projectile is reflected back to you, do enemy smash attacks also detonate you? What if it's an enemy Zetterburn?
If a side Special is parried back at you, you take the burn effect that the opponent would. Yes, you take the added knockback from the fire as well as the 5% damage it builds up before it wears off.

Also idk if I mentioned it above but Neutral Special is an amazing move when not oversused. It sets up for combos really well when used from the air, and can shut down a lot of recoveries if you fully charge it by the ledge. It can sometimes be combo'd into itself if spaced properly, then followed up with another Aerial or a Strong attack depending on percent.

Forward tilt is an awesome kill move.

down tilt is nice to approach with from the ground against anyone but Kragg because of its range. and knockback away.

Moves that can be wavelanded out of:
  • Back Aerial
  • Forward Aerial
  • Up Aerial
  • Neutral Special
  • Up Special (You can cancel this with an Airdodge before you begin to move)
Up Special doesn't have a hitbox until about halfway through the startup animation before you move.
While recovering, Up Special can be airdodged out of (provided you have an air dodge to use) if you want to reposition yourself or need to use it to avoid something like Kragg rock or some other projectile.

Last edited:

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
So I noticed that Gamemaker Studio now supports Playstation 3, 4, and Vita exporting... Rivals of Aether for Sony consoles confirmed? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
But in all seriousness though, I'd much rather see it come to 3DS.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Here are a few one-off recolors I made. I'm not currently interested in making any more themes beyond the indigo/pink one I'm still working on (and two others I was planning on posting with it), so these are open to anyone who might want to expand on them.

Text for the colors.ini file below.

//Zetterburn Color (Sunshine)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Upper
//Flame_Lower
//Flame_Outline
//Zetterburn Color (Goth)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Upper
//Flame_Lower
//Flame_Outline
//Orcane Color (Pumpkin)
//Body
//Underbelly
//Body Shadow
---

Anyway, with the weekend coming up I'll probably have a lot more opportunities to expose the game to different people, so hopefully I'll have some clearer views on balance and such by Monday.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Are there any color schemes people want to see made? I've got all the time in the world to design them haha.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Are there any color schemes people want to see made? I've got all the time in the world to design them haha.
More Smash characters. I already made a Bowser Kragg, and Falco Wrastor is already done, we should put some on Orca and Zetter.

PoTheDragonSlayer

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've been playing RoA with my bro for quite some time now, and I absolutely love this game. There is so much quality, I love it! That's all I want to say so far. I don't really have any complaints yet, so keep up the awesome work, and I can't wait to see the new content you got in store for us!

T00nbink

Smash Cadet
I tried to do something with Black and Green or with Dark-Purple and Red but I doesn't really look good if I try it sadly... So if some color combinations look interesting to you, give it a try.

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hey guys!
I kinda have a question: What do you use wavedashing for in Rivals of Aether? I'm going to do a tutorial video for it, but I want to showcase more than just my way of doing it.
-Conradical

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hello Dan,
While playing, I noticed that all of the wavedashing distances are pretty much the same. I would really recommend changing that or maybe adding that to the new character. OR, maybe Orcane's wavedash could be longer since he "slides" on the water. Thanks for reading!
-Conradical

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys!
I kinda have a question: What do you use wavedashing for in Rivals of Aether? I'm going to do a tutorial video for it, but I want to showcase more than just my way of doing it.
-Conradical
Hello Dan,
While playing, I noticed that all of the wavedashing distances are pretty much the same. I would really recommend changing that or maybe adding that to the new character. OR, maybe Orcane's wavedash could be longer since he "slides" on the water. Thanks for reading!
-Conradical
You are one of the politest posters. I'm not sure whether I should admonish you for "breaking" forum mores/protocol or give you a thumbs up for going the extra mile. But either way I think I'll give you a heads up: The forums give you a signature already and you can even edit it. And posting twice in a row isn't standard procedure: you should edit your earlier post with the extra information. You can contain multiple responses in a single post.

To how I Wavedash I use a jump button (Y on either GC or Xbox) with my index finger as I hold the controller in the "claw method."
How would that work? Oracane has no similar physical features that are similar to pikachu.
It would be a massive PIkachu.

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
You are one of the politest posters. I'm not sure whether I should admonish you for "breaking" forum mores/protocol or give you a thumbs up for going the extra mile. But either way I think I'll give you a heads up: The forums give you a signature already and you can even edit it. And posting twice in a row isn't standard procedure: you should edit your earlier post with the extra information. You can contain multiple responses in a single post.

To how I Wavedash I use a jump button (Y on either GC or Xbox) with my index finger as I hold the controller in the "claw method."

It would be a massive PIkachu.
Thank you for calling me polite! I'll just go create my own signature right now and, from now on, I'll edit my posts ;) Sorry for causing trouble! Thanks for the info on how you wavedash!
-Conradical (My last manual signature)

Last edited:
Top Bottom