• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Kragg Down Special in my experience only serves as a way to condition you to parry faster and react quicker. Once you can parry it semi-consistently at least, then approaches are easy every time haha.

Get back to colors! jk. That's my job lol
Hmm... I parry the move occasionally, but I don't usually ever get much out of it. Sure, I have invincibility, but Kragg has been out of cooldown and ready to take defensive action since before I even started the parry. So in my experience it still pretty much stays a neutral situation. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

To clarify, when I said it stuffed approaches, I mostly meant committed ones. I don't see that as a problem in general, but it stops all of them in my experience, whether it's a physical or projectile approach. It just seems like being able to say "if you're standing in front of me, you can't press a button" is a little much when combined with the other strengths of the move and Kragg's ability to control space in general. But again, I could be missing a vital element of this.

And:surprised:waow:surprised:ifyou'regonnabethatwayImaynevermakearecoloragain:surprised:waow:surprised:.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Hmm... I parry the move occasionally, but I don't usually ever get much out of it. Sure, I have invincibility, but Kragg has been out of cooldown and ready to take defensive action since before I even started the parry. So in my experience it still pretty much stays a neutral situation. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

To clarify, when I said it stuffed approaches, I mostly meant committed ones. I don't see that as a problem in general, but it stops all of them in my experience, whether it's a physical or projectile approach. It just seems like being able to say "if you're standing in front of me, you can't press a button" is a little much when combined with the other strengths of the move and Kragg's ability to control space in general. But again, I could be missing a vital element of this.

And:surprised:waow:surprised:ifyou'regonnabethatwayImaynevermakearecoloragain:surprised:waow:surprised:.
If I ever use Kragg down Special it's to tell someone to respect my ground space. Not to approach or combo into anything. I use it patiently.

Likewise, when a Kragg uses down Special, it's his way of telling you that you shouldn't be headstrong and rush into getting something. Smash-style games take patience and calculating. Against higher level players, I take time to analyze how they play and adjust my own play accordingly. If you are constantly spammed against with down Special, then you should be waiting for the attack to come out and punishing it from above, parrying, or with a projectile that puts the opponent into hitstun. All games like this have a RPS element to them.

Will they down Special? will they wait and uptilt? Will they side Special through your attack? Will they pull a rock? etc it comes down to both predicting as well as reaction time. When you play though, you want to try to minimize prediction until you know your opponent a lot better.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Ya, parry hard counters Kraggs down-b. Easily parried move plus you have an eternity to follow up with an efficient punish.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
PRAISE BE TO LORD HELIX, MY CONTROLLER HAS ARRIVED!!!
I can FINALLY start playing this freaking game!
….hopefully today cuz I still got a lot of school stuff that needs to be taken care of. The struggles of College and Smash :urg:

If I ever use Kragg down Special it's to tell someone to respect my ground space. Not to approach or combo into anything. I use it patiently.

Likewise, when a Kragg uses down Special, it's his way of telling you that you shouldn't be headstrong and rush into getting something. Smash-style games take patience and calculating. Against higher level players, I take time to analyze how they play and adjust my own play accordingly. If you are constantly spammed against with down Special, then you should be waiting for the attack to come out and punishing it from above, parrying, or with a projectile that puts the opponent into hitstun. All games like this have a RPS element to them.

Will they down Special? will they wait and uptilt? Will they side Special through your attack? Will they pull a rock? etc it comes down to both predicting as well as reaction time. When you play though, you want to try to minimize prediction until you know your opponent a lot better.
Yeah a lot of people seem to get the misconception that Smash is a Bull vs Bull insanely offensive game where the victor is the one being the most hyper about their attacks. While an offensive game is certainly a factor, it alone is not what makes the best THE BEST, intact from what I can tell they're a lot more defensive, at least when going against other players of their skill. In fact I think ALL fighting games rely on defensive play to be good. Some more than others sure but it's still important.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Ugh. I had a much more fleshed out explanation of this Kragg thing but then click+backspace=back button. Too much of it was gone, so here's the shorts.

The move is by no means overpowered or broken, but it's risk/reward feels out of balance in a way that makes it less interesting than I feel it could be.

If I were to make the most conservative change to the move that I can think of, I would make it so that the spikes stop coming up when Kragg is hit.

The move looks very fancy when it's made of emeralds, like so:

//Kragg Color (Emerald)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
i'm sorry i keep owing you the videos i had to be doing... i had issues with notebook and had to format now everything is back at one piece and the station is up and running again...
I'll be sure to make new videos this week (probably tomorrow night) still in portuguese, and post them here just for database material...

About playing on a arcade stick it is unfortunately not possible because although virtually possible you can't perform smash attacks. Sad but true. Back to 360 controller and keyboard then...
joy to key also works if someone is struggling with no 360 controller yet...

About Kregg down b...
well he's a ground based character the best he could do is have some ground control. Move based yes it's pretty strong but there are several ways you can punish / avoid it. Wrastor is a machine of just double jumping over it, and punish with projectile + air attack
Orcane can setup pool inside the down b (if timed properly the spawn pool will be where the second hit was) and you can teleport over the third hit and punish.
Zetterbun can trade for neutral with his neutral b
all characters can react and wavedash back staying at neutral position
all characters can parry the move.

I think the real deal here is that you're seeing neutral position as something bad where it should be seen as neutral. a whiffed down-b isn't punishable from the direction it's aimed at but i's free combo from any other possible direction. also it's a very predictable move... you can always bait it and dash parry the second hit, dash again and Kregg is open. It has indeed some shenanigans to it (if you up B outside the stage with the exact space between the pillar and the edge of the stage you can down b from pillar to stage and this is kind of too safe on return but still nothing really that big.

It's balanced with his movement speed and poor aerial game. If there something about kregg i think is kinda cheap is double jump from platform + upB luring opponent with the pillar. It gets too close from the up blaster zone and is a easy 3 hit juggle kill.
Besides that i wouldn't complain about any other move he has being too safe / unfair.

Lol, I made this for people who wanted a YT thumbnail (img is 1280x720) :
thanks i'll be using that !

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I think the real deal here is that you're seeing neutral position as something bad where it should be seen as neutral.
I'm not really sure what makes you say this. I think the only thing I framed as negative about neutral is that it's less desirable than advantage.

The main point of what I'm trying to say is basically that there are a number of situations where Kragg stands to gain a lot from a down-b and stands to lose very little, and most other actions available to the game's characters, Kragg included, tend to be either less rewarding or riskier. Not that it can be used in absolutely any situation or spammed, and not that it doesn't have weaknesses. It makes sense for the move to be a strong space control tool, but I still think it can serve that role well enough without being as safe as it seems to be. It just feels kind of one-dimensional.

I don't even think the move needs to be weaker overall, really. I would just adjust the scales on it a bit. Making it a little worse for trades but a bit better at something else offensively or maybe vice versa. Even without changes, it's probably fine. But a "fine" choice isn't necessarily an "optimal" one.

In any case, I'd like to test more on options with that move and just in general, but I'll need to work on getting my controllers to stop acting up first.

likiji123

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Likiji123
3DS FC
2964-9225-5942
Sorry for my lack of posts, i have been focusing on school for a bit and i haven't really found anything wrong with the new build or someone on this thread has already said it but anyways, i wanted to show you guys a colour i made for wrastor i thought you guys would like
Render Inspired Wrastor

//Wrastor Skin 2 (Render Inspired)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
So I finally got to play yesterday and NOW have a chance to write stuff.
Ok, so first problem: I'm a mac user. This game is unplayable on my computer….
So I redownloaded it on my friend's computer and played it on that. Here's my thought process while I'm playing:

Wow these color swaps are surprisingly under-whelming.

This game is surprisingly floaty.

(is weirded out for 20 minutes by the controls)

Why where smash attacks separated from the attack button and instead moved to the C-stick? I get it's to avoid mixing it up with tilts which does still occasionally happen to me in Smash, but shouldn't it be at least an option? Infact shouldn't the control scheme be customizable from the get go? Is that going to be in the final version?

Why do I sometimes wall jump? And why can't I ever do it when I need to?

Why doesn't anyone die?? …Oh they're not on fire.

Zetter is the Wolf I always wanted :D

The music for this game is awesome, but it makes me want it in full instrumental rather than 8bit

How do you even Orcane??

How do you puddle? I can't get the water squirt.

It's hard to tell if I'm making any progress at all on my enemy health wise, the % meter is so far out of the way from the action, and the numbers aren't color coded so it's hard to just glance at it and get right back into the action.

So I love how Wrastor can combo for days, but why can't I sma-- …right.

(SD's too many times trying to off stage edge guard) I don't care if there's no ledge grabs, I WILL MAKE WRASTOR EDGE GUARD KING!!!

Why doesn't Wrastor have a back Smash attack?

I now understand why people may have a problem with Kragg, I just killed Wrastor at 0% with nothing but Fairs.

Kragg is totally gonna be the Diddy Kong of this game, he's beatable but because he has so many strengths in a lot of areas, and because he's so easy to be good with, everyone is gonna call him broken if they lose to a good Kragg.

Why can I only sometimes dash?

I have leveled up and now actually decent with Zetter! This probably means I should start learning wave dashing… and Parrying.

I'll post my analysis and in depth tester review shortly after classes, this has been my first gut reaction while playing the game for an hour.

Last edited:

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
So I finally got to play yesterday and NOW have a chance to write stuff.
Why where smash attacks separated from the attack button and instead moved to the C-stick? I get it's to avoid mixing it up with tilts which does still occasionally happen to me in Smash, but shouldn't it be at least an option? Infact shouldn't the control scheme be customizable from the get go? Is that going to be in the final version?
Look at the options right below your character. Smash Button enables that.

Why do I sometimes wall jump? And why can't I ever do it when I need to?
Walljumping works different; you press jump when against a wall. It's limited to one per airtime as well.

How do you even Orcane??
How do you puddle? I can't get the water squirt.
Up, Down, and Neutral specials can all summon puddles. All specials, along with all of his smashes, can consume the puddle.

It's hard to tell if I'm making any progress at all on my enemy health wise, the % meter is so far out of the way from the action, and the numbers aren't color coded so it's hard to just glance at it and get right back into the action.
Common complaint. I don't blame you

So I love how Wrastor can combo for days, but why can't I sma-- …right.
Personal recommendation: turn off Smash button when using him so you can have full access to his aerials and Smash with the C-stick. You aren't missing anything by not using the C-stick for aerials with him honestly

Why doesn't Wrastor have a back Smash attack?
Does he need one? It would break the standards of having three smashes and a reverse F-Smash is the only way to turn him around in mid-air.

I now understand why people may have a problem with Kragg, I just killed Wrastor at 0% with nothing but Fairs.

Kragg is totally gonna be the Diddy Kong of this game, he's beatable but because he has so many strengths in a lot of areas, and because he's so easy to be good with, everyone is gonna call him broken if they lose to a good Kragg.
Please keep in mind that the AI really isn't good. You can't really judge the metagame unless you play with friends or talk with others. I doubt real people would simply let you wail like that.

Why can I only sometimes dash?
Can you elaborate please? It might be something regarding the controller sensitivity like Sanic had faced. but I thought it was fixed.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Wow, okay so you know how you guys were talking about Pokemon recolors? Well I made an Orcane of my favorite Pokemon on a whim and I love it. I LOVE IT!

//Orcane Color (Politoed)
//Body
//Underbelly
//Body Shadow
I'll definitely be making these for the rest of the cast. I'm really eager to see how the others will turn out.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Not really a big deal, but when you select your character's color using the 'L1' button, it skips over the standard color for some reason. This only happens with the 'L1' button, if you cycle through with the 'R1' button, you see all of the colors.

Edit: I'm playing with a Playstation 3 controller.

Last edited:

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Apologies for the double-post, but the thread doesn't seem very active today. Anyway, I made a Zetterburn guide, and best of all it's in 60fps! Tell me what you guys think.

Last edited:

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Okie, Now time for nitty gritty nit-pickky analysis of my experience so far. I'm going to make a warning, almost all of this post is going to be negative. I don't want people to think I didn't enjoy this though, I did, I LOVE this game so far and want more of it, but @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam is right when he says that the negatives are more important for a designer to know about than positives. Again, love this game, love the characters and setting, and I want this game to succeed, so I'm going to give it ALOT of tough love.

The game controls just fine, some things that bother me though is dashing and wall jumping. In smash bros you can press Guard and press either left or right to dodge out of shield, but you can't here. You have to do it at the same time and it feels like it has a picky time frame. And why is dodging so tricky to use? Why can't it just be like in regular smash games where you just press the direction opposite of the wall you're facing? It was easy to do and intuitive. (Why is wall jumping either so easy to do in games or arbitrarily difficult, Im looking at you Super Metroid) I think everything else control wise has been mentioned previously, other than that the game feels great.

I had the game at my school's Gaming club, it was easy for people to get the hang of, and even the ones who don't regularly play Smash could win against the computer. But mechanics such as the wave dash and Wrastors air smashes they had no idea about. How's the game going to teach these mechanics to the player? Especially Wrastor's ability because it's so inconsistent to the rest of the cast, intact I'm still mixing up trying to do a smash attack on the ground, so I can only imagine how confused a newer player will get.

Speaking of Wrastor, I'm going to make a post later regarding characters after having more time with the game but Wrastor has something that I feel like needs to be said now, HE HAS NO KILL POWER. Not even with his smash attacks because you ned to sweet-spot them. Why? Even with his crazy good combo game he still can't use any of it to finish a stock, and the one tool that he can use, which is already harder to utilize than the other rivals just due to the fact it goes against regular muscle memory, needs to be sweet spotted. If you miss it, even at high percent, it won't kill. It will with Zett's fire or Orcane's puddle, but not Wrastor -_-

I'll also say something really quick about Kragg since I know his "balance quirks" are always a much discussed topic here: So I realized that everyone's garuntee kill power revolves around their respective element. Like said earlier, for Zett it's setting people on fire (awesome), Orcane is being on his puddle, and Wrastor needs to be in the air. But Kragg can kill just using his normal moves, he doesn't need a crazy setup or situation like everyone else does he just punches stuff and wins. He doesn't have a weakness like everyone else does in the game and that's why he's so dominant, he doesn't even feel slower compared to everyone else which is the one thing that I think can balance him out better. Now mind you he's still beatable but the fact that he's the only one without ANY kind of handicaps is somewhat questionable to me in terms of balance.

I mentioned in an earlier post about a flaw of the UI, the stock and character information along the bottom of the screen being a problem from a spectator's perspective. I thought it would be better when you're actually playing, but it's even WORSE. My last post summed it up so I'll just leave it at that.

The Biggest problem I see this game having is the fact that it will INEVITABLY be compared to Smash Bros. It's weird, when Skull Girls was being produced, no one bated an eye at it despite it being OPENLY identical to MvC. Smash Bros. did something SOOO different, SOOO Unique, literally an entity the world has never seen before, people literally debate whether it's even an actual fighting game. So because of this, EVERYONE is going to be judging it, for shallow reasons yes, but that's unfortunately the reality behind it. I already seen it happening in Youtube comments.

In fact, I feel like this was Play Station All-Star Battle Royale's biggest faulty, the game was still fun and enjoyable (on a casual level) but I just couldn't shake the thought that "Smash did it better" on every aspect of the game. From the sound design, to stages, to music, to bonus features and content, Smash Bros even FELT better that PSASBR. Now the one thing this game still has over PSASBR is that it feels better, and I'm sure with some tweaks in sound design, will feel just as good as smash, but that's not going to be enough to help separate it from the 2nd world's most recognizable fighting game franchise. The characters and the world are going to have to be REALLY fleshed out and somehow made engaging if people want to connect with these characters they never heard of, which from this build alone, is struggling to do that.

I know other people mentioned this in the past but I'll repeat it just because it REALLY needs to be emphasized, the characters feel somewhat lifeless. I'm sure there's going to be a story mode, but having even just taunts would REALLY help solidify an identity for these characters. And when you're trying to sell your fighting game starring an unfamiliar cast, it's going to be a tough sell. All the biggest Fighting Game franchises now have well established cast that are familiar worldwide, or are based on pre-existing franchises. Skull Girls had an original cast too but their character designs where so unique and intriguing, not only was it visually striking and interesting to look at, but is also says so much about their past, personality, place in the story, AND told SO MUCH about the world they lived in. This grab's people's attention just enough to wanna learn more about them and get invested in them as characters, and not just as a picture on a screen that moves around and punches for you. Unfortunatly (I really hate saying this) Rivals doesn't have that. The character designs are sadly underwhelming. An anthropomorphic Lion?? NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!! (Except Wing Commander, Guild Wars, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Final Fantasy X & Magic the
Gathering off the top of my head) BUT HE'S ON FIRE GUYS!! WHOOOAAAOOHH!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile Orcane is a whale with legs…. Whoot. Aaaand we got Falco. Kragg is the only one who stands out as a unique design but even then the basic concept has been done before. (Make him blue and BAM Ya got Heracross) Look I'm not trying to sound like I'm hating, I'm just trying to say you got a REALLY hard sell on your hands for people who are going to be unfamiliar with this game.

Lastly, as I was reaching the end of my play session I thought to myself, "I love this game, but if this is all there is too it, I can see myself getting bored with it REALLY fast." I understand this is just a beta created soley to test the core gameplay, which is of coarse the most important part, so OF COARSE a lot of content is going to be left out. But this is something that even AAA fighting games fail to do, all they have in terms of content are Arcade, Multiplayer (local and online) and Training mode…. thats it, in terms of gameplay. (FOR 60$$$!?!? F*** YOU CAPCOM SERIOUSLY!!) Now I know most of these games are aimed for a strictly skilled and competitive audience, as is this game, but one of the reasons why Smash Bros was so successful to both casual and competitive audiences (among many other reasons) is the fact that it gave the player so many activities to do within the game BESIDES just straight up beating each other. Yes there's the standard Arcade & Multiplayer, but there's also event matches, the stadium, Special Smash modes, hours spent collecting trophies, and those are all the universal modes across games. There's the Story mode in brawl, Smash Run and Smash Tour, hell even Project M has All-Star mode, Turbo mode and their unique spin on the blastzone-less stamina mode. All these modes where not only stupid mindless fun to have with friends, or by yourself, but they also provide different challenges to the player to better hone their skills at the game.

Now I know Dan is only one person, so of coarse I'm not going to expect him to add the same amount of content as smash, but there's gotta be an easy, simple way to add new twists to the gameplay that not only add a lot more replay ability and variety to the core gameplay, but also help serve as a training tool to it's players, which would be so beneficial considering the kind of audience this game is aimed towards.

I just want to re-iterate since I know I got a little ranty in some parts, but I LOVE THIS GAME. Despite the negatives it still feels like the competitive smash game I've always asked for; a fun and intuitive combo system, fast but not too fast to the point of being incomprehensible like Melee or PM, and tech-skills are down played as a necessity to be good, and even then the techs have been streamlined to be far more intuitive and a proper tool rather than something that has to be mindless grinded out. I REALLY want this game to be a runaway success story like Skull Girls was, but in WANTING it to reach that level I see a lot of external obstacles getting in the way. I know the people here, including myself, are going to be doing a lot to promote this game and get it out there, and I'll be singing nothing but it's good points, which is a lot in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Apologies for the double-post, but the thread doesn't seem very active today. Anyway, I made a Zetterburn guide, and best of all it's in 60fps! Tell me what you guys think.

Solid work so far. Has some things it missed/got wrong though.

Before, being burned sent you about 2x as far in Knockback. It got nerfed like a month ago to about 1.5x as far since Zetterburn was so broken because of it.

Fair has a 3rd hitbox which is a sweetspot near the bottom of that forward arc animation he does. It's a fantastic kill move and one that is reminiscent of how powerful SSBM shiek's forward air can be.

Up Special can be air dodge'd out of before you start actually moving. Because of this, you can use air dodging to avoid something like Kragg's rock that would normally destroy you if you didn't air dodge to get around it.

Side Special has a hitbox on Zetterburn's fire mane as well which means if you land both the hit from his mane + the projectile, it can be really nice when used in close range.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I'm not really sure what makes you say this. I think the only thing I framed as negative about neutral is that it's less desirable than advantage.

The main point of what I'm trying to say is basically that there are a number of situations where Kragg stands to gain a lot from a down-b and stands to lose very little, and most other actions available to the game's characters, Kragg included, tend to be either less rewarding or riskier. Not that it can be used in absolutely any situation or spammed, and not that it doesn't have weaknesses. It makes sense for the move to be a strong space control tool, but I still think it can serve that role well enough without being as safe as it seems to be. It just feels kind of one-dimensional.

I don't even think the move needs to be weaker overall, really. I would just adjust the scales on it a bit. Making it a little worse for trades but a bit better at something else offensively or maybe vice versa. Even without changes, it's probably fine. But a "fine" choice isn't necessarily an "optimal" one.

In any case, I'd like to test more on options with that move and just in general, but I'll need to work on getting my controllers to stop acting up first.
I am sorry if i misjudge your post i had just left a discussion where people where considering neutral a bad thing and i may have had this on my mind when i read your post. I totally agree with this statement you made. Once again sorry if i was rude or jumped into conclusions.

Wow, okay so you know how you guys were talking about Pokemon recolors? Well I made an Orcane of my favorite Pokemon on a whim and I love it. I LOVE IT!

//Orcane Color (Politoed)
//Body
//Underbelly
//Body Shadow
I'll definitely be making these for the rest of the cast. I'm really eager to see how the others will turn out.
THIS ! This is the most beautiful thing i've ever seen. Dark Lord Lotad is pleased.

also, made the wrastor / january update brazilian video.. will be editing this post as soon as it finishes uploading with the link !

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Solid work so far. Has some things it missed/got wrong though.

Before, being burned sent you about 2x as far in Knockback. It got nerfed like a month ago to about 1.5x as far since Zetterburn was so broken because of it.

Fair has a 3rd hitbox which is a sweetspot near the bottom of that forward arc animation he does. It's a fantastic kill move and one that is reminiscent of how powerful SSBM shiek's forward air can be.

Up Special can be air dodge'd out of before you start actually moving. Because of this, you can use air dodging to avoid something like Kragg's rock that would normally destroy you if you didn't air dodge to get around it.

Side Special has a hitbox on Zetterburn's fire mane as well which means if you land both the hit from his mane + the projectile, it can be really nice when used in close range.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.
Really appreciate getting input. You're right on all the things you said, I fixed the "twice as far" error, but the rest would be kinda difficult. I'll probably release a new guide when the game comes out, and hopefully I'll have everything in order then!

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Really appreciate getting input. You're right on all the things you said, I fixed the "twice as far" error, but the rest would be kinda difficult. I'll probably release a new guide when the game comes out, and hopefully I'll have everything in order then!
Everything is still Alpha. Making sure to identify that in the titles is important because things can always change.

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
i'm with the same idea of re-doing the guides at launch... all this video recording has been a great experience to me. I had 0 experience on video recording and i'm still really bad at it but i'm learning a lot from just doing it and when the game comes out it'll be a easier task no doubt..

Also i know it's pretty far away but october/november there will be 2 major FGC tournaments in my country and i'll be taking Rivals to both of them as a casual/salty suite game for those interested in playing (specially at the hotel where we do nothing but play games) hopefully i'll be able to record some matches there (and if the game has already been released it'll be even greater to spread the seeds of Rivalry)

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
Shout outs to @Octavium for spreading the word to me!
Very insightful guide @ Cirby64 Cirby64 , I'd like to see one for for Orcane, he looks like a pretty deceptive fighter ;)

I've seen a few Smash techs such as wall jumps and wave dashing, will we see more of these such as L-canceling,floor techs, dash dance, b reverse, DI and so on?
This game is making me so hype, wish I could play! ^^

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Quotes inside quotes is quite possibly the most amazing thing this site has ever offered lmao. I'm putting my responses within the following Quote so that it's not too frickin huge of a post.

@ Boss N Boss N

Okie, Now time for nitty gritty nit-pickky analysis of my experience so far. I'm going to make a warning, almost all of this post is going to be negative. I don't want people to think I didn't enjoy this though, I did, I LOVE this game so far and want more of it, but @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam is right when he says that the negatives are more important for a designer to know about than positives. Again, love this game, love the characters and setting, and I want this game to succeed, so I'm going to give it ALOT of tough love.
Don't say it's negative. Call it criticism. That was my mistake in wording. Negativity doesn't help anything, while criticism is something not positive, but can still be taken into consideration to help something.

The game controls just fine, some things that bother me though is dashing and wall jumping. In smash bros you can press Guard and press either left or right to dodge out of shield, but you can't here. You have to do it at the same time and it feels like it has a picky time frame. And why is dodging so tricky to use? Why can't it just be like in regular smash games where you just press the direction opposite of the wall you're facing? It was easy to do and intuitive. (Why is wall jumping either so easy to do in games or arbitrarily difficult, Im looking at you Super Metroid) I think everything else control wise has been mentioned previously, other than that the game feels great.
There is no shield, so how can you roll out of one by pressing L/R and left/right at different timings? It results in a parry + nothing afterwards if L/R are pressed before directional inputs.

I personally love how wall jumping is in this game. Once you dissociate smash bros style wall jumps from RoA wall jumps it becomes easier. I suck at wall jumping in SSBM but it's super easy for me in RoA. Personal opinions.

I had the game at my school's Gaming club, it was easy for people to get the hang of, and even the ones who don't regularly play Smash could win against the computer. But mechanics such as the wave dash and Wrastors air smashes they had no idea about. How's the game going to teach these mechanics to the player? Especially Wrastor's ability because it's so inconsistent to the rest of the cast, intact I'm still mixing up trying to do a smash attack on the ground, so I can only imagine how confused a newer player will get.
I've talked to Dan about the eventual inclusion of a part of the UI devoted to tutorial stuff for each character. It's not as important right now since it's the alpha stage and that the characters + new modes + new stages are the main focus right now.

My friends were able to pick it up within about 2-3 hours. If someone doesn't understand something, try to find a way to show them how it works. Hands on learning + Auditory learning is typically a winning combination to get someone to learn something.

Speaking of Wrastor, I'm going to make a post later regarding characters after having more time with the game but Wrastor has something that I feel like needs to be said now, HE HAS NO KILL POWER. Not even with his smash attacks because you ned to sweet-spot them. Why? Even with his crazy good combo game he still can't use any of it to finish a stock, and the one tool that he can use, which is already harder to utilize than the other rivals just due to the fact it goes against regular muscle memory, needs to be sweet spotted. If you miss it, even at high percent, it won't kill. It will with Zett's fire or Orcane's puddle, but not Wrastor -_-
Wrastor has great kill power. It takes a while to learn spacing though, just like Fox or Captain Falcon taking time to learn how to control spacing in SSBM. Every Strong attack and Up Special have good kill potential on stage. Up Aerial juggling like Marth in SSBM, forward Aerials to make a wall to get opponents off stage like Jigglypuff in SSBM, a Neutral Special that Kills at over 50% from the top platform on Rock Wall (Until the blast zones are increased from being so tiny on the ceiling), etc all make him good at killing. If you don't think he has kill potential, then that just means he isn't the right character for you.

1'll also say something really quick about Kragg since I know his "balance quirks" are always a much discussed topic here: So I realized that everyone's garuntee kill power revolves around their respective element. Like said earlier, for Zett it's setting people on fire (awesome), Orcane is being on his puddle, and Wrastor needs to be in the air. But Kragg can kill just using his normal moves, he doesn't need a crazy setup or situation like everyone else does he just punches stuff and wins. He doesn't have a weakness like everyone else does in the game and that's why he's so dominant, he doesn't even feel slower compared to everyone else which is the one thing that I think can balance him out better. Now mind you he's still beatable but the fact that he's the only one without ANY kind of handicaps is somewhat questionable to me in terms of balance.
I definitely feel like he should have slower moves. His mobility is fine since he's still kind of slow. I can gimp other characters all the time with his Neutral Special (Rock) all the time though, so there's that. My roommate has found rock as his primary method of getting kills since it's such an easy thing to do if you're patient to wait for an opening to throw it.

I mentioned in an earlier post about a flaw of the UI, the stock and character information along the bottom of the screen being a problem from a spectator's perspective. I thought it would be better when you're actually playing, but it's even WORSE. My last post summed it up so I'll just leave it at that.
Already been talked about way too much in this thread. Me and Dan discussed ways to make it more visible in match which will be implemented later. Like I said, the other things come first before UI though. Core details before Aesthetics.

The Biggest problem I see this game having is the fact that it will INEVITABLY be compared to Smash Bros. It's weird, when Skull Girls was being produced, no one bated an eye at it despite it being OPENLY identical to MvC. Smash Bros. did something SOOO different, SOOO Unique, literally an entity the world has never seen before, people literally debate whether it's even an actual fighting game. So because of this, EVERYONE is going to be judging it, for shallow reasons yes, but that's unfortunately the reality behind it. I already seen it happening in Youtube comments.
It's inspired directly by Smash Bros. It's a game about building up % damage. There's no way it won't be compared to Smash Bros. A lot of people will like the competitive aspect of it though. It has a fun leisurely side as well besides all the competition. I personally think this game is everything that Smash Bros could have been (aside from 2d style instead of 2.5d). I love this game as it is whether it's considered a clone or not.

In fact, I feel like this was Play Station All-Star Battle Royale's biggest faulty, the game was still fun and enjoyable (on a casual level) but I just couldn't shake the thought that "Smash did it better" on every aspect of the game. From the sound design, to stages, to music, to bonus features and content, Smash Bros even FELT better that PSASBR. Now the one thing this game still has over PSASBR is that it feels better, and I'm sure with some tweaks in sound design, will feel just as good as smash, but that's not going to be enough to help separate it from the 2nd world's most recognizable fighting game franchise. The characters and the world are going to have to be REALLY fleshed out and somehow made engaging if people want to connect with these characters they never heard of, which from this build alone, is struggling to do that.
I honestly disagree with almost all of this. I think this game is doing it just fine. You have to remember that this is still just an alpha version of the game. It's going to be sooo much different by the end of the year when it's scheduled for release.

I know other people mentioned this in the past but I'll repeat it just because it REALLY needs to be emphasized, the characters feel somewhat lifeless. I'm sure there's going to be a story mode, but having even just taunts would REALLY help solidify an identity for these characters. And when you're trying to sell your fighting game starring an unfamiliar cast, it's going to be a tough sell. All the biggest Fighting Game franchises now have well established cast that are familiar worldwide, or are based on pre-existing franchises. Skull Girls had an original cast too but their character designs where so unique and intriguing, not only was it visually striking and interesting to look at, but is also says so much about their past, personality, place in the story, AND told SO MUCH about the world they lived in. This grab's people's attention just enough to wanna learn more about them and get invested in them as characters, and not just as a picture on a screen that moves around and punches for you. Unfortunatly (I really hate saying this) Rivals doesn't have that. The character designs are sadly underwhelming. An anthropomorphic Lion?? NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE!!! (Except Wing Commander, Guild Wars, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Final Fantasy X & Magic the Gathering off the top of my head) BUT HE'S ON FIRE GUYS!! WHOOOAAAOOHH!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile Orcane is a whale with legs…. Whoot. Aaaand we got Falco. Kragg is the only one who stands out as a unique design but even then the basic concept has been done before. (Make him blue and BAM Ya got Heracross) Look I'm not trying to sound like I'm hating, I'm just trying to say you got a REALLY hard sell on your hands for people who are going to be unfamiliar with this game.
Dan was planning on adding taunts, but they're not too important right now.

Rivals of Aether is a completely new IP. As a game in indie development, where is Dan going to get familiar characters from? I personally think they're all very creative. Especially the next one he's going to reveal, which you'll all get to eventually see soon.

Keep in mind that the game will have a Story mode where you learn about characters and presumably unlock others through progressing the story. You'll learn backstories like what he has on the site for each character already, but it'll go more in-depth in-game while all tying in to the concept of Greek Alchemy and the 5th element of Aether.

Lastly, as I was reaching the end of my play session I thought to myself, "I love this game, but if this is all there is too it, I can see myself getting bored with it REALLY fast." I understand this is just a beta created soley to test the core gameplay, which is of coarse the most important part, so OF COARSE a lot of content is going to be left out. But this is something that even AAA fighting games fail to do, all they have in terms of content are Arcade, Multiplayer (local and online) and Training mode…. thats it, in terms of gameplay. (FOR 60$$$!?!? F*** YOU CAPCOM SERIOUSLY!!) Now I know most of these games are aimed for a strictly skilled and competitive audience, as is this game, but one of the reasons why Smash Bros was so successful to both casual and competitive audiences (among many other reasons) is the fact that it gave the player so many activities to do within the game BESIDES just straight up beating each other. Yes there's the standard Arcade & Multiplayer, but there's also event matches, the stadium, Special Smash modes, hours spent collecting trophies, and those are all the universal modes across games. There's the Story mode in brawl, Smash Run and Smash Tour, hell even Project M has All-Star mode, Turbo mode and their unique spin on the blastzone-less stamina mode. All these modes where not only stupid mindless fun to have with friends, or by yourself, but they also provide different challenges to the player to better hone their skills at the game.
http://rivalsofaether.com/presskit/#features
Doing research before stating things always helps.

Now I know Dan is only one person, so of coarse I'm not going to expect him to add the same amount of content as smash, but there's gotta be an easy, simple way to add new twists to the gameplay that not only add a lot more replay ability and variety to the core gameplay, but also help serve as a training tool to it's players, which would be so beneficial considering the kind of audience this game is aimed towards.
New twists? Like being able to act out of air dodge, wall jump out of a fall state from a recovery, parry, having air-based smash attacks, having a puddle to use to strengthen your attacks or as a portal, being able to make big pillars, etc? Yeah I wish we had way more twists than we already do since we're only halfway done with characters and maybe less than 1/4th of the way done with all the game modes that will be implemented?

I just want to re-iterate since I know I got a little ranty in some parts, but I LOVE THIS GAME. Despite the negatives it still feels like the competitive smash game I've always asked for; a fun and intuitive combo system, fast but not too fast to the point of being incomprehensible like Melee or PM, and tech-skills are down played as a necessity to be good, and even then the techs have been streamlined to be far more intuitive and a proper tool rather than something that has to be mindless grinded out. I REALLY want this game to be a runaway success story like Skull Girls was, but in WANTING it to reach that level I see a lot of external obstacles getting in the way. I know the people here, including myself, are going to be doing a lot to promote this game and get it out there, and I'll be singing nothing but it's good points, which is a lot in terms of gameplay.
I personally thought skull girls was frustrating to get into with having complex ways of stringing together combos. This game is intuitive and easy to get into within 20 minutes or so of picking up a controller and playing for the first time.

Also you BETTER love this game. :)

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Very insightful guide @ Cirby64 Cirby64 , I'd like to see one for for Orcane, he looks like a pretty deceptive fighter ;)

I've seen a few Smash techs such as wall jumps and wave dashing, will we see more of these such as floor techs, dash dance, b reverse, L cancel and so on?
All of those are already in the game aside from L-cancelling, which will not be implemented at all. That comes automatically and removes a lot of the extra inputs necessary for high level play.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64

I've seen a few Smash techs such as wall jumps and wave dashing, will we see more of these such as L-canceling,floor techs, dash dance, b reverse, DI and so on?
I'll be making a guide for every single character! Just know that editing and recording does take time, so if you don't want to miss the Orcane guide (Which is the next one) you better subscribe!

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
@ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam thanks for the feedback.

Doing research before stating things always helps.
I didn't have time to do prior research on the game, I barelyly have time to even play the game or write about it.

New twists? Like being able to act out of air dodge, wall jump out of a fall state from a recovery, parry, having air-based smash attacks, having a puddle to use to strengthen your attacks or as a portal, being able to make big pillars, etc? Yeah I wish we had way more twists than we already do since we're only halfway done with characters and maybe less than 1/4th of the way done with all the game modes that will be implemented?
When I meant "new Twists" I wasn't referring to the core gameplay, this game already has a lot of unique spins on the smash style gameplay. I was referring to the extra modes, because you have to go about a fight slightly differently in stamina mode than in standard, and turbo mode calls for a completely different play style. They all enhance the core game and add unique challenges that test additional skills, that's what I was referring to, that's what i think Rivals needs

Wrastor has great kill power. It takes a while to learn spacing though, just like Fox or Captain Falcon taking time to learn how to control spacing in SSBM. Every Strong attack and Up Special have good kill potential on stage. Up Aerial juggling like Marth in SSBM, forward Aerials to make a wall to get opponents off stage like Jigglypuff in SSBM, a Neutral Special that Kills at over 50% from the top platform on Rock Wall (Until the blast zones are increased from being so tiny on the ceiling), etc all make him good at killing. If you don't think he has kill potential, then that just means he isn't the right character for you.
Maybe I just need to spend more time to get used to him, I wanna get good with him because I like the idea behind his play style and well, personally, :shades: I prefer the air. :4falco:

Also I made it clear that I understood that it's only a prototype and of coarse there's going to be nothing but a bare minimum, but I guess I should've also made it clearer when I was stating something that was more a personal opinion such as the topic of character design.

And no one STILL HASN'T INFORMED ME HOW TO MAKE SPOILER TAGS :urg:

But anyways, I've been sleep deprived for this past week so I'm gonna get rest before I become completely belligerent :tired:

Last edited:

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam thanks for the feedback.

I didn't have time to do prior research on the game, I barelyly have time to even play the game or write about it.

When I meant "new Twists" I wasn't referring to the core gameplay, this game already has a lot of unique spins on the smash style gameplay. I was referring to the extra modes, because you have to go about a fight slightly differently in stamina mode than in standard, and turbo mode calls for a completely different play style. They all enhance the core game and add unique challenges that test additional skills, that's what I was referring to, that's what i think Rivals needs

Maybe I just need to spend more time to get used to him, I wanna get good with him because I like the idea behind his play style and well, personally, :shades: I prefer the air. :4falco:

Also I made it clear that I understood that it's only a prototype and of coarse there's going to be nothing but a bare minimum, but I guess I should've also made it clearer when I was stating something that was more a personal opinion such as the topic of character design.

But anyways, I've been sleep deprived for this past week so I'm gonna get rest before I become completely belligerent :tired:
Spoiler tags to me are just wrapping a quote tag around something.

oksas

oak-sauce
been checking the thread pretty often recently, really stoked to play this game. I also wanted to say:

Dan Fornace allows for the contents of Rivals of Aether to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Rivals of Aether is legally & explicitly allowed by Dan Fornace.
this is awesome. you are the dev the people deserve

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
been checking the thread pretty often recently, really stoked to play this game. I also wanted to say:

this is awesome. you are the dev the people deserve
Jesus Christ, not only can Dan make a great game, but he's great on the business end of it all too. I'm glad that this game will never end up like Melee at EVO 2013.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Code:
[spoiler] [/spoiler]
Or if you want to give your spoiler a title:
Code:
[spoiler=Title] [/spoiler]
Just thought I'd help since I'm apparently the spoiler tag master. I mean, just look at me go!

//Zetterburn 6th Color (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Upper
//Flame_Lower
//Flame_Outline

//Orcane Color (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Underbelly
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Skin 2 (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Skin 2 (Green/Gold)
//Lightrock
//Skin
//Darkrock Shadow
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Lightrock Shadow
//Darkrock

//Zetterburn Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Yellow
//Flame_Orange
//Flame_Red

//Orcane Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//White
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Code:
[spoiler] [/spoiler]
Or if you want to give your spoiler a title:
Code:
[spoiler=Title] [/spoiler]
Just thought I'd help since I'm apparently the spoiler tag master. I mean, just look at me go!

//Zetterburn 6th Color (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Upper
//Flame_Lower
//Flame_Outline

//Orcane Color (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Underbelly
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Skin 2 (Green/Gold)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Skin 2 (Green/Gold)
//Lightrock
//Skin
//Darkrock Shadow
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Lightrock Shadow
//Darkrock

//Zetterburn Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Yellow
//Flame_Orange
//Flame_Red

//Orcane Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//White
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Color (Pink/Cyan)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third
Mmmm, Cotten Candy Rivals.:lick: I hope the official game gives ya the option to add colors.

Speaking of which, just to add discussion what modes and features do you guys want/think will be in the game? Personally I'm hoping for a side scrolling adventure mode, and board the platforms to return! I think it will be the perfect mode to practicing more advance movement options like wave landing and such.

Last edited:

Drazerg

Smash Cadet
NNID
Drazerg
All of those are already in the game aside from L-cancelling, which will not be implemented at all. That comes automatically and removes a lot of the extra inputs necessary for high level play.
Sexy, what about DI-ing?

I'll be making a guide for every single character! Just know that editing and recording does take time, so if you don't want to miss the Orcane guide (Which is the next one) you better subscribe!
I am following you and await that guide, as well as anything else you might throw at me :p

I bet this game is gonna become the "New Melee"!! :D
I do hope it gets the popularity it deserves, I wish "Smash Bros Fighting" genre was a popular and had more games, the more success games like this get the brighter the future for Smash fans, maybe it might even inspire Nintendo to make Melee HD or Smash5 with similar physics as melee. All we can do is share our support! ;)

JPIII

Smash Cadet
I was wondering is it too late to apply to be a playtester, also I want to know that since I applied I want to know how long it will take them to reply if I can still be a playtester.

EDIT:Sorry if its a bit hard to understand, literature isn't my strong point xD

Last edited:

jhunter_d

Smash Apprentice
They're still accepting playtesting applications, but are busy and will take some time to get to them. I applied too, so I hope that I get accepted as well.

Also, on another note, will DInput controllers like Mayflash's GC controllers be supported?

JPIII

Smash Cadet
They're still accepting playtesting applications, but are busy and will take some time to get to them. I applied too, so I hope that I get accepted as well.

Also, on another note, will DInput controllers like Mayflash's GC controllers be supported?
I hope DInput controllers are supported but I think they are doing XInput controllers. :(

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
I hope DInput controllers are supported but I think they are doing XInput controllers. :(
Being a playtester, I think I can confirm that DInput is indeed supported, there's a guide inside of the playtest email. Apparently it's kinda janky, I wouldn't know as I haven't tried it. The game plays surprisingly well with a XInput controller though.

JPIII

Smash Cadet
Being a playtester, I think I can confirm that DInput is indeed supported, there's a guide inside of the playtest email. Apparently it's kinda janky, I wouldn't know as I haven't tried it. The game plays surprisingly well with a XInput controller though.
Thank you so much for telling me. :)

JPIII

Smash Cadet
I legit think Im gonna get denied to be a playtester. I feel like my paragraph wasn't good enough, also it was 209 words long. -_-

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I legit think Im gonna get denied to be a playtester. I feel like my paragraph wasn't good enough, also it was 209 words long. -_-
Come on now. That attitude won't get you anywhere. We all have our insecurities, but opening yourself to vulnerability isn't healthy. Not to say my words mean to give you hope, but depending on the quality of your application you may get accepted. If you don't, you shouldn't be discouraged anyway.

Top Bottom