• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rivals of Aether - Official Thread

SgtFunShinebear

Smash Rookie
If a side Special is parried back at you, you take the burn effect that the opponent would. Yes, you take the added knockback from the fire as well as the 5% damage it builds up before it wears off.

Also idk if I mentioned it above but Neutral Special is an amazing move when not oversused. It sets up for combos really well when used from the air, and can shut down a lot of recoveries if you fully charge it by the ledge. It can sometimes be combo'd into itself if spaced properly, then followed up with another Aerial or a Strong attack depending on percent.

Forward tilt is an awesome kill move.

down tilt is nice to approach with from the ground against anyone but Kragg because of its range. and knockback away.

Moves that can be wavelanded out of:
  • Back Aerial
  • Forward Aerial
  • Up Aerial
  • Neutral Special
  • Up Special (You can cancel this with an Airdodge before you begin to move)
Up Special doesn't have a hitbox until about halfway through the startup animation before you move.
While recovering, Up Special can be airdodged out of (provided you have an air dodge to use) if you want to reposition yourself or need to use it to avoid something like Kragg rock or some other projectile.
As nice as knowing some of these is, for the sake of time and accessibility I probably won't include stuff like wavelanding out of certain moves or specific matchups. I want to introduce people to the characters while still giving them some wiggle room to learn on their own. That's half the fun of a new game, in my opinion ^ ^

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hey Dan!
I was playing o my favourite stage (air armada) and found a glitch. When you short hop on the spring instead of full hopping, you don't get sprung up (pun intended). Thanks for reading!

Edit: I also found out a new tech for recovering with Zetterbun. Here is the video:

Last edited:

Conradical

Smash Cadet
NNID
alphamenter
Hey Dan! I was playing against some CPU's and wondered "Will there ever be a possiblity to play with other people online?" So, you know what I'm asking, will there? Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
WHOA dude.
That's a lot of posts.
From now on please edit previous posts if you have more to say.
What you have there is borderline spam.

To answer some of your questions:
The short hop spring thing was intentional.
Online play is something everybody wants but isn't expected until the full game releases if not a little before that for playtesting purposes.
I know there's a way to add colors but I myself don't know how and I'm sure someone else can answer that.

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
Hey Dan!
I was playing o my favourite stage (air armada) and found a glitch. When you short hop on the spring instead of full hopping, you don't get sprung up (pun intended). Thanks for reading!

Edit: I also found out a new tech for recovering with Zetterbun. Here is the video:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that tech been known for a very long time. And I think the short hop on the spring thing is intentional, so you're able to choose wether you get sprung or not.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that tech been known for a very long time. And I think the short hop on the spring thing is intentional, so you're able to choose wether you get sprung or not.
Yea, this is definitely an intentional feature of the spring, and I greatly appreciate it. I think it simotaneously makes the spring more interesting and less intrusive.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
@ Conradical Conradical There's an "Edit" option once you post something. Instead of posting 5+ posts in a row and just spamming a page, it's better to just edit your thoughts all into one or two posts.

Importing textures: http://smashboards.com/threads/rivals-of-aether-official-thread.360443/page-24#post-18444151
(Be sure to actually Read all of it before asking questions that might already be answered in the post)

Air Armada: Being able to short hop without activating the spring is intentional. Not a Glitch.

Zetterburn: Being able to air dodge out of Up Special is something I also found a lot earlier. It was in a gif on the RoA website from an older build of the game. It has use for things other than recovery. And don't forget you can wall jump as well. You have options to mix up how you recover so that you aren't the same and predictable against other human players. Being able to Up Special, Wall jump, Air dodge, Jump, and Up Special again makes Zetterburn's recovery easily the most versatile of any character in the game so far.

This Gif is outdated though because of obvious reasons. The stage is an older version of the revamped Fire Capitol we have now, and Zetterburn's up Special doesn't do damage for the first few frames anymore like it does in this Gif.

Last edited:

ShinyisSilent

Smash Rookie
GLITCH: Using Zetterburns neutral special on one of Krugg's blocks makes it disappear rather then it usually breaking.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Damn, son. I found out about Rivals of Aether like half a year ago, and just found this thread. Hope the player signup is still open, I'm super exited to try this!

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
GLITCH: Using Zetterburns neutral special on one of Krugg's blocks makes it disappear rather then it usually breaking.
That actually happens with every character. As found by Sanic, pressing neutral special next to Kragg's block with any character makes the character attempt to pick up the block, but since they're not supposed to the block just disappears.

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
That actually happens with every character. As found by Sanic, pressing neutral special next to Kragg's block with any character makes the character attempt to pick up the block, but since they're not supposed to the block just disappears.
@ ShinyisSilent ShinyisSilent

Yep. It's funniest with orcane when you're standing next to or on top of the rock.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Curious Thought: With a lot of people getting the game early, and so many of us making discoveries on characters and match ups, I wonder if there's going to be a meta before the game is even officially released :crazy:

(Yeah I know things are going to change between now and the official release and most of you only been playing against computers but still fun to think about :awesome:)

Also, LETS GET RIVALS INTO APEX NEXT YEAR GUYS!!!

Last edited:

Death By Hugs

Smash Apprentice
I hack ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
So I went over to Xanthus's place and we played RoA for a little while in between SSBM and we didn't get anything useful accomplished other than one absolutely amazing sequence of events that he has a GIF of and that I am going to spam him until he posts on the thread. it's a Wrastor (him) vs Orcane (me) match where we take the concept of mindgames and metagame it even farther.

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
I haven't got a chance to play yet, sadly. But is that a perfect block that keeps happening?
Kinda, each of those black circles represents a successful parry which is a defensive tool unique to Rivals. Shields are replaced by Parries which act as easier perfect shields (not that perfect shields or Parries are easy) that stun opponents.

4nace

Smash Ace
Sweet gif guys!

Also I really strapped for time right now. Everything is Rivals related and everything is going really well! Unfortunately I haven't even looked at playtester applications since last week. I have over 70 new applicants waiting for me. I have it planned to get to them this week and pick out people who can offer us quality feedback. Unfortunately I have no timeline on if / when you will be asked. Just hang tight. The good news is that everyone added will be on the same build as January playtesters so balance and match-up discussion can continue here.

Thanks!
Dan Fornace

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
Lol @ RoA_Zam RoA_Zam talking it up so much. Here are some shenanigans :p I'm the Wrastor, he's worst-pallete-ever-orcane.

Uuummmm you mean BEST palette Orcane? (Besides Banana Orcane of coarse)
On the subject of Parries, how long did it take everyone to break out of the habit of shielding?

Yurya

Smash Apprentice
Uuummmm you mean BEST palette Orcane? (Besides Banana Orcane of coarse)
On the subject of Parries, how long did it take everyone to break out of the habit of shielding?
The habit of grabbing was worse for me. I still need to get in the habit of Parrying though. I kinda play Rivals with a block-free mentality when it is actually very effective.

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Kinda, each of those black circles represents a successful parry which is a defensive tool unique to Rivals. Shields are replaced by Parries which act as easier perfect shields (not that perfect shields or Parries are easy) that stun opponents.
Oh cool. I actually really like that mechanic.

Beets

Smash Apprentice
Don't thin me too rude but,

most people I play with are not quite stupid enough that they require a P1 indicator above their heads to remind them which character they chose to play.

This was seriously one of my largest complaints about Brawl, whereas Melee did not have anything of the sort unless you stood still or wore a nametag, and Smash 4 beautifully remedies by having your tag (whether it say "P1" or "MEL") disappear completely when the screen is zoomed in enough (as in, when the characters are all close enough in proximity to each other).

I have not played this game as of this writing, so perhaps you have already addressed this issue, but the GIFs on this forum page (page 28) seem to me clear evidence that they are ever present.

If I turn out to be misinformed I shall edit this entire post to laud this game for being already fifty times finer than Brawl.

Last edited:

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Alrighty, with Apex over, I have no more excuse not to get to posting these character recolors. So here they are, my latest themes:

Candy (Indigo/Pink)
//Zetterburn Candy Color (Cotton Candy)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Upper
//Flame_Lower
//Flame_Outline

//Orcane Candy Color (Bubblegum)
//Body
//White
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Candy Color (Taffy)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Candy Color (Jawbreaker)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third

Clean (White/Blue)

//Zetterburn Color (Clean)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_Yellow
//Flame_Orange
//Flame_Red

//Orcane Color (Clean)
//Body
//White
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Color (Clean)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow

//Kragg Color (Clean)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third

Dirty (Brown/Burgundy)
//Zetterburn Color (Dirty)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Flame_light
//Flame_mid
//Flame_outline

//Orcane Color (Muddy)
//Body
//White
//Body Shadow

//Wrastor Color (Dirty)
//Body
//Hands
//Body Shadow
//Belly
//Scarf Light
//Scarf Dark

//Kragg Color (Dirty)
//Rock Light
//Skin
//Rock Darkest
//Armor Light
//Armor Mid
//Armor Darkest
//Rock Second
//Rock Third

I might not do any more themes for awhile. But I think I enjoy doing these too much to completely stop, so I'll probably have more one-offs popping up at least.

I could even see myself eventually doing requests if people are interested but I'll have to approach that idea a bit carefully. Let's see what happens when I run out of ideas first...

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
I made this guide for transitioning from Smash to Rivals. Covered almost everything.
I like. Little things I would have changed though:

SDI exists if you toggle to vectoring by pressing D, so to say it doesn't exist isn't entirely accurate.

I might be wrong but I think you missed talking about teching on walls or floors out of an attack.

Everything else looks pretty solid.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I made this guide for transitioning from Smash to Rivals. Covered almost everything.
Watching this REEALLLY makes me wanna play :crying:
Only two days left…. hopefully.

This seriously looks like the game Melee should've been as a competitive game (minus shielding or grabbing but parrying looks like a unique alternative at least)

Last edited:

Boasting Toast

Smash Apprentice
I like. Little things I would have changed though:

SDI exists if you toggle to vectoring by pressing D, so to say it doesn't exist isn't entirely accurate.

I might be wrong but I think you missed talking about teching on walls or floors out of an attack.

Everything else looks pretty solid.
I thought about that after I rendered. I might add that stuff in and reup it.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
Taking a break from recolors to bring up a few balance/gameplay things.

Wrastor's dtilt animation is misleading. It looks like the hitbox should start somewhat closer to him. Actually, it looks like the attack should extend a bit behind him. I think the animation could be tweaked to better match the hitboxes, or... vice versa?

Orcane's usmash... Does it have a sourspot? Because it should probably have a sourspot.

Finally, does anyone else wonder if Kragg's downB might be too versatile? It stuffs pretty much all frontal approaches, sets up for combos, and seems almost impossible to punish unless it's used catastrophically poorly. It's not so much that I or others have trouble with the move, it just seems like it's kind of a momentary stalemate-maker because backing up and staying in neutral is usually the best way to deal with it. I think toning back any one of the three things I mentioned above might make it a more interesting tool.

So, any thoughts on this stuff? On the mark? Totally off base? Old news? Wow, Sol, you sure are good at playtesting?

RoA_Zam

Fire Lion
NNID
Unique
Taking a break from recolors to bring up a few balance/gameplay things.

Wrastor's dtilt animation is misleading. It looks like the hitbox should start somewhat closer to him. Actually, it looks like the attack should extend a bit behind him. I think the animation could be tweaked to better match the hitboxes, or... vice versa?

Orcane's usmash... Does it have a sourspot? Because it should probably have a sourspot.

Finally, does anyone else wonder if Kragg's downB might be too versatile? It stuffs pretty much all frontal approaches, sets up for combos, and seems almost impossible to punish unless it's used catastrophically poorly.

So, any thoughts on this stuff? On the mark? Totally off base? Old news? Wow, Sol, you sure are good at playtesting?
Wrastor's dtilt is a bit disjointed and extends past his actual sprite. I have noticed that before.

Sourspot on strong attacks used out of puddle could have a sourspot in the center or near the beginning of the water spout thingy and get stronger the farther along the sprite they go.

Kragg Down Special in my experience only serves as a way to condition you to parry faster and react quicker. Once you can parry it semi-consistently at least, then approaches are easy every time haha.

Get back to colors! jk. That's my job lol

Cirby64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cirby64
Hey guys. I tried to recreate the Super Smash Bros "How To Play" video in Rivals of Aether! I only took about an hour, so it is a bit unpolished. Tell me what you think!

Last edited:
Top Bottom