• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Revival of Melee 4 prediction thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Mango "haters" are probably johning. For Mango fanboys, Christmas came over a month too early.

I just didn't want to see the kid go out that quick...

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah mango didn't want to be unbanned, he refused an offer to be unbanned lol

hectohertz

Smash Ace
yeah they've offered to unban him several times, he basically told them to go f*** themselves. pretty sure mango has a couple different aliases he posts as though...

but yeah, holy ****. he kind of made pp look bad. i didn't think that was possible.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. AKA why I don't like giving tournament predictions before seeing how the player is feeling in tournament that day.

Varist

Smash Lord
i don't like how people are still saying "now he just has to prove it vs armada". he's already better than armada ****, you're the kind of people who'd start saying "ono kage's better than mango" if he lost using Marth.

Mango lost to Armada using Fox, when the **** has he mained Fox before? just because his fox was legit doesn't mean it represented the best he could've been, nor does it mean his Falco wasn't legitter (hint: it was and is) and if he'd whipped the bird out he would've taken that tourney home like a korean prostitute.

he wrote about how he got into it too much because of the crowd or he felt too aggro etc. etc., but that loss began at the character select screen.

mango's too good and he's still untouchable, gtfo. it's fact.

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
People site Mango saying that his Fox is the best when it's on point (in some interview somewhere) to say that he mains Fox.

But yeah, I do still think that Mango is better.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
i don't like how people are still saying "now he just has to prove it vs armada". he's already better than armada ****, you're the kind of people who'd start saying "ono kage's better than mango" if he lost using Marth.

Mango lost to Armada using Fox, when the **** has he mained Fox before? just because his fox was legit doesn't mean it represented the best he could've been, nor does it mean his Falco wasn't legitter (hint: it was and is) and if he'd whipped the bird out he would've taken that tourney home like a korean prostitute.

he wrote about how he got into it too much because of the crowd or he felt too aggro etc. etc., but that loss began at the character select screen.

mango's too good and he's still untouchable, gtfo. it's fact.
Quoted for insane ****-riding.

Varist

Smash Lord
you could cut his **** off and what i said would still be true. prove me wrong.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
genesis 2
burden of proof

if mango cares about his status in the community he'll try at apex
until then you are seriously just riding his ****

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
@Varist: You realize that Mango himself has said that his Fox is his best character, correct? If you want to win a tournament, you use your best character, right? He used his best. He still lost. His inability to resist the pull of the crowd does not make him a better player than Armada or Peepee. Note that I'm not mentioning skill there, just his interaction with the crowd, which is part of determining how good a player is. It doesn't matter one bit how much skill you have if you can't utilize it in a tournament setting.

I can't prove you wrong, but you cannot prove me wrong either, because we have NO WAY OF KNOWING that Armada wouldn't have been able to beat his Falco at G2, because it didn't happen, especially considering how close all of their games are.

No one would say that Kage was better than Mango after beating his Marth because:

1) Mango has never once said that his Marth is his best character
2) Kage has never held close matches with Mango EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY PLAYED.
3) Look at Kage's placings in tournaments compared to Mango's, and then look at Armada's placings in tournaments compared to Mango's. Kage is really good, but it is clear that Armada and Mango are of a different caliber.

"If Mango hadn't chosen Fox, he would have won," is a pretty poorly veiled john, and it's the same as saying, "If Mango had made better decisions, he would have won," which can be said for ANYONE. But there's no way to know if, had he made those decisions, that he would have come out on top.

EDIT: And what Strong Bad said.

Beat!

Smash Master
Shroudedone, I agree with most of what you said, but Kage actually beat Mango's Falco and Puff back at RoM 2. Just to clear that up.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I know, I kept that in mind. But his sets with Mango have not been as close as Armada's.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
Personally I feel like some things are difficult to quantify. It might be impossible to determine a player's caliber simply by looking at placings and how that player does relative to others. At the same time, those are factors which must be considered when trying to compare players. All I'm saying is that intuitively, it seems to me that Mango is on another level, technically as well as in terms of understanding of the game. Of course Armada is an awesome player, but when it comes down to it who do you really think is better? I think the vast majority of the community would say that it's Mango right now. Of course, if Armada beats him again at Apex, that's another story

Varist

Smash Lord
genesis 2
burden of proof

if mango cares about his status in the community he'll try at apex
until then you are seriously just riding his ****
so once he wins at apex i'm not riding his **** anymore? you don't make any sense. i am now and will be then riding his ****, you can't conveniently take the homosexuality out of it when you start agreeing with me after Apex. the point is, whether or not i'm biased, facts are facts bro.

---
ShroudedOne's schtuff.

You realize that Mango himself has said that his Fox is his best character, correct? If you want to win a tournament, you use your best character, right? He used his best. He still lost. His inability to resist the pull of the crowd does not make him a better player than Armada or Peepee. Note that I'm not mentioning skill there, just his interaction with the crowd, which is part of determining how good a player is. It doesn't matter one bit how much skill you have if you can't utilize it in a tournament setting.
Problem is, not even Mango can quantify best. Fox is his most comfortable to use overall? because records sure don't show it.
Fox is the one he wins games the most consistently with? because records sure don't show it.
Fox is the one he can pull off the most immaculate stock-rapage with? doesn't win you games.

What if there were a player who had seizures when he was exposed to loud noises for too long, but at all other times he was a biological version of Action Replay? he's never won a national, but he's not the best player? and who says tournaments are the only things that matter? if a group of the world's 15 best players came over to the dude's house and played him and all lost horribly, that doesn't matter? he's not the best player, because it wasn't the tournament environment? even if they all bet money on it and he took it all from them?

wait, that's a tournament. except it's not what you're imagining. every tournament setting is different, everyone will respond differently to them, and it could be inconsistent. maybe for this guy, a tourney comes around where everyone plays their match in a little cubicle. he plays the same way he always has, but because he did it in a new area he's the best now? until he stops going to tournaments and just plays at his house because he still can't stand the noise. i don't even get where your objectivity is coming from here, and objectivity is the foundation of logic.

I can't prove you wrong, but you cannot prove me wrong either, because we have NO WAY OF KNOWING that Armada wouldn't have been able to beat his Falco at G2, because it didn't happen, especially considering how close all of their games are.
if mango played me, we'd have no way of knowing whether or not he'd really beat me if he played his best. so therefore mango and i are contested for who the best player in the world is, you're right, i can't prove you wrong. and you can't prove me wrong. please explain this stance more, because it's the most frequent argument against mango that's been coming up and it doesn't make any ****ing sense when put in perspective.

No one would say that Kage was better than Mango after beating his Marth because:
1) Mango has never once said that his Marth is his best character
2) Kage has never held close matches with Mango EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY PLAYED.
3) Look at Kage's placings in tournaments compared to Mango's, and then look at Armada's placings in tournaments compared to Mango's. Kage is really good, but it is clear that Armada and Mango are on a different caliber.

1) okay, so now if mango says it it's objective truth? mango doesn't know what's good for him, if he did he would've played Fox differently or gone Falco at G2 and took the tournament. this argument sucks.
2) now you're looking at the players' records then? this argument relies on the fact that no player can improve over time. it sucks.
3) if you want to play that game, look at armada's record. he lost to PP last ROM, mango ***** PP this ROM. records show that Mango must be better than Armada. herp.

"If Mango hadn't chosen Fox, he would have won," is a pretty poorly veiled john, and it comes down to, "If Mango had made better decisions, he would have won," which can be said for ANYONE. But there's no way to know if, had he made those decisions, that he would have come out on top.
Mango gets drunk playing shroomed and loses. "there's no way of knowing he would've beat shroomed if he weren't drunk". yeah, okay.

but
he would've.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
shrouded is 100% correct here varist is wrong. I will make this simple mango said he was/tried hard at gen2 and he lost. Now like strong bad said the burden of proof is on him now.

(not in the mood to write a long post so this will have to do for now)

Varist

Smash Lord
shrouded is 100% correct here varist is wrong. I will make this simple mango said he was/tried hard at gen2 and he lost. Now like strong bad said the burden of proof is on him now.
don't swallow mango's words, he tried, but he tried with a handicap already in place. going falco or just going fox and playing it safer would've been trying. he was flaunting his **** in those games, not trying.

and stop with the record argument, everyone knows mango has more overall wins than Armada anyway, don't be selective.

danieljosebatista

Smash Journeyman
Mango definitely tried his hardest and lost to Armada at Genesis. But, there are so many other factors to consider. What if Mango had beaten Taj the first time around during winner's semifinals (which we all know he could have since he beat him afterwards using fox in loser's finals)? What if he had then faced Armada in winner's finals and had more time to adapt to his style of play? What if Mango had instead sent Armada to loser's and the burden had been on Armada to come back and win two sets?

I know that's a lot of "what ifs" lol, and what ifs don't equal results. But, let me put this another way. In 2005/2006, Ken was almost indisputably the best player. That being said, Ken's Marth would consistently lose to KDJ's Sheik. Does that make KDJ a better player? I highly doubt many people would agree with that statement. All I'm saying is, just because Mango lost once in a close set, in a matchup he wasn't too familiar with against an amazing player, and with consistent errors/SDs does not make Armada a better player.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
dude your argument will have no end b/c if armada lost he could say "o it was the crowd or i should of played differently. So u have to go by results and since the play at the top is so close imo u have to go with the person who is the champ atm which is armada. so no more johns and just wait b/c mango is a great player and has i very good chance of earning back the title of number 1 but atm its armada. Also who cares about overall wins? i mean ken still has tons of overall wins but no one thinks he is the best anymore. (unless u mean overall vs armada but i dont believe that is what u mean)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom