• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Return Of Character Intros!

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
Scyther3176 said:
I like the idea but after a while the novelty of them coming in might wear off, in SSB I didn't notice them after a while .
I agree with you on this. We jsut want to skip it. When we want to kick someone's butt we're not thinking how they arrive...but how they will leave.
It's the same thing with Melee's opening...very nice the first 5 times...after a week u don't even let your tv show you the hand picking up Mario's trophy.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
K.I.N.G said:
that would be awesome XD like if someone wins they have a cinimatic scene :lick:
YEAH! Like each character has a cinematic sequence with all the other possible characters...and in every stage. A LOT of HARD WORK and A LOT of patience would be needed....which is probably the reason they won't do such a thing. Shame though...At least good looking opening sequences I dunno. Just do it like Final Fantasy...the cinematic sequences are always cool.

MewMewKachooTwo

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of intros, as long as they're skippable. One of the annoyances I had with the beginnings of melee was that in multiplayer I'd have to find myself. If there was an intro to give me a lil prep time to know where I was and to plan my first move, I'd be happy and consider the 2 seconds or whatever worth it.

Ending cinematics...for multiplayer? No. For single player mode completion? YES! There should be a cinematic for each character after beating the game. No more showing two or three moves then a "special picture". Ok, maybe still a special picture...but a REAL MOVIE, TOO! Not too long, just a 1 or 2 min cinematic of our fav character beating the competition!

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
krazyzyko said:
There has to be a reason why they took it out on melee that's why I recommend to have it as an "additional rules" which can be turned on and off.

Like I said ya'll know some people like the intros and some don't, (like items) they should be in ADDITIONAL RULES!!!!!! and be able to be turned ON and OFF....
END OF PROBLEM!!!!

.........later

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
also, the timer in melee is broken becuase you can kick someone while it says GO! on the screen.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I agree with Yuna. If you make them an option, then sure, bring 'em back. Otherwise, we're better off without it.

I have pictured some of the entrances, anyhow. Peach walking in through a dimension door from Mario 2 would be cool, and Bowser jumping out of the clown mobile he had in Super Mario World would be nice. Just as long as they all aren't overdone.

If they ARE overdone, then something meant to be cool will just be like nails on a chalkboard.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Heh, I just got a really annoying idea that will totally be banned at tournaments. Timed Taunts. If you hit the taunt button at either the moment you make a kill, or a little afterwards, the action will freeze and your character will do a short (skippable)"Special Taunt" in a cutscene. It'll be a free taunt action (No danger of getting hit in FFA), and will only be available once for every character.

Maybe instead of at any time after a kill, you can only do it after a player's last stock in stock matches.

Isn't that an idea that could make or break party matches? I love it. I'm a big fan of Taunt-tech. Dan Hibiki is one of my favorite video game characters, and nothing is more satisfying than killing somebody with Sean's Basketball or Dudley's roses in SF3.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
Yuna said:
No. Why? It takes too long. Either that or it should be turn-off-able. If not, just no.
From what I remember, in SSB64 the matches always started in the same amount of time regardless of how many characters were being introduced, and it was like 3 or 4 seconds.

GREAT-ONE

Smash Journeyman
I don't really mind if they bring back the old character entrances or if they just keep the ones that are already in melee. The only thing I care about is how good the game will play.

GuardianSphinx

Smash Journeyman
Hydde said:
Amyways, in melee.... the fight starts just too fast sometimes, and when in free for all, sometimes u cant see what the others will do first becausse the word "GO" is still in the screen............ so making this word smaller and adding some intros when the word "READY" is on the screen...would be a plus, a very cool one.
I agree, sometimes I've been fighting my friend and by the time GO or FIGHT or whatever it is has dissapeared im halfway across FD with with marth or whatnot due to the wavedash straight out of the teleport.

But think about it, people complain that it would be annoying and that they want to get straight into the fight, the entrance was just under 1 second for most of the characters...... Not much time to be wasted there. And it was pretty cool anyway, maybe they should make them a bit longer, 5 seconds maybe and you can control your character for that period - then you've got time to taunt your friend with something cool or get them in stitches with laugher by doing something really stupid and lame.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you move during the intro, then you can position yourself right next to your opponent. The one with the fastest moves would get the first hit. Or you'd force a Bowser to automatically have to shield on at the start of the match because his moves are all slow (save for up + B and downsmash).

DokturSea

Smash Lord
If they ARE going to add them, most likely they'll have a whole seperate team working on them at the same time the rest of the game is being made.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Using the 25 from Melee and the five new ones...

SSB64:
Mario/Luigi - Pipe intro
Falcon - Racer intro
DK - Barrel intro
Kirby - Warp star intro
Jiggy/Pikachu - Pokeball intro
Ness - Explosion intro
Link - The "beam of light" intro
Fox - Arwing intro
Yoshi - Egg intro
Samus - "Portal door" intro

Melee:
Y.Link - The "beam of light" intro
Falco - Arwing intro
Pichu - Pokeball intro
Bowser - Arrives in his clown car.
Peach - Floats to the stage with her umbrella.
Mr. G&W - A G&W pad is on the ground and Mr. G&W climbs out of it.
Dr. Mario - Arrives in an ambulance (C.Falcon style).
Zelda/Ganondorf - Something related to the Triforce.
Marth/Roy - Sorry, I don't know enough about them to give them an intro.
Ice Climbers - A mountain base appears and they arrive from the "top" of it.
Mewtwo - The wind becomes up very, very firece creating a swirl of air underneath of him as he floats down (think how the air moved when a character in DBZ powered up.)

Brawl:
Wario - He crashes his motorcycle on the stage.
Zamus - Same as Samus only with the addition of Samus pushing a button on her suit, resulting in the suit falling off.
Metaknight - I don't know much about him, but perhaps have him suddenly land on the stage while in the background his ship is seen flying away.
Pitt - I don't know a whole lot about him, but perhaps some kind of "heavenly portal" opens and he flies out.
Snake - He "sneaks" onto the stage under his box and then throws it off (like in the trailer.)

Other Possabilities:
Sonic - He races by in one direction, races back, and on his third pass through, he stops causing a cloud of smoke to engulf him (think the intro to the Sonic games when they yelled "SEGA.")
Diddy - He lands on the stage with the help of his jetpack and his pistols drawn, he then puts them away.
Krystal - Kyte flys in and Krystal jumps off of his back (Fox style).

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
but the begining of a melee battle is everyone being a troghy, then turning to 'life,' so...
Zamus: teleport on stage, THEN put on her clothes ^.^ ^.^
Samus:teleport on stage, THEN put on her suit.

Mewtwo (if hes there): be gay (shouldnt be too hard.)
hehe....

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Ferro De Lupe said:
Other Possabilities:
Sonic - He races by in one direction, races back, and on his third pass through, he stops causing a cloud of smoke to engulf him (think the intro to the Sonic games when they yelled "SEGA.")
Diddy - He lands on the stage with the help of his jetpack and his pistols drawn, he then puts them away.
Krystal - Kyte flys in and Krystal jumps off of his back (Fox style).
Some more possible characters entrances could be...
Petey Piranha - He rises out of a pile of muck.
Birdo - Climbs out of that eagle's head from her/his original game.
Laughing Dog - Jumps out from behind tall grass, doing his famous bark.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
sheik: drop down from the top of the screen. THEN puts on her clothes.
zelda: same as sheik.
peach: float down from the corner. THEN puts on clothes.

if that happens, ill really like brawl.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see a G&W intro where the whole screen is covered with black LCD objects that make up a level and then they all disappear except him --you know, like when you turn on a G&W game and all the little pieces light up at once (IIRC it's to test to make sure all the LCD spots are working properly)

SexyDoodles

Smash Journeyman
Me and my friends were thinking of this the other day, and what the character intros for the chars in melee would be. The only ones we were stuck on for a while were Roy and Marth. I don't know if this has been suggested but we tought that a bolt of lightning could strike like when a unit is promoted(you wouldn't know unless you've played FE), and then they could appear?

I dunno, just giving my two cents.

Pikawil

Smash Cadet
Kabyk-Greenmyst said:
So the FE characters can just gallop in on their fancy horses, hop off dramatically while to horse dashes into non-existence. Yea......that's hot.......
Uh, care to explain how the hell they're gonna reach Final Destination, which edges are clearly visible?

Kurizu208

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this is exactly what i wasd thinking. i was dissapointed about this in melee. They should deffinetly add this back to the game.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
DokturSea said:
If they ARE going to add them, most likely they'll have a whole seperate team working on them at the same time the rest of the game is being made.
The problem still remains: Said team could spend the same time programming lots of other features and fix bugs and whatever in the actual gameplay itself, giving us a better game instead of these custom intros most people are gonna turn off anyway.

Who seriously want to play for hours on end having to spent 10 seconds waiting for the characters to pop up every match?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I agree it should be an optionable feature, and it should be done after all the characters are fully made(if not obvious) The main reason is discussed above, the early start that can screw over a character. Eliminating this problem makes the gameplay more fair, and gives us more things to watch.

I liked the whole trophy thing, but it was boring, which is not what players need. They need both fun and serious things.

As for the Horse thing on Final Destination. Who cares? Since when was Smash realistic. I mean, for crying out loud, why don't they have every character go through a portal leading there. *end of rant*

More suggestions are nice, though. Fire Emblem will take a little thinking, but it'll all work out in the end.

RAMRAM

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I was kinda sad that they took out the intros in SSBM.
They should SO add them back in in the new game.

Pure of Heart

Smash Journeyman
I thought it was a good thread, so I just had to Bump it back up! :3
Uh, care to explain how the hell they're gonna reach Final Destination, which edges are clearly visible?
Simple, in all FE games there are pegusus knights. Marth/Roy could ride in on a Pegusus! :O
Something that came to mind after I thought of it for a while. Yeah, I loved the intro's, dang I miss 'em! Really made me laugh when Ness exploded onto the screen in SSB64. Hehe. :)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ahh... here's the real thread. Yeah, I want them back badly. I want to see Ness a'splodin back on screen again!

W4veMantis

Smash Journeyman
Character intro's would be a nice addition to the game, and it would give more time at the beginning of a match to plan out strats.

Vetti

Smash Rookie
Ahh... here's the real thread. Yeah, I want them back badly. I want to see Ness a'splodin back on screen again!

aww yea, I diffently miss watching Ness fly into the screen and explode, then shake it off. Or may be he could make a portal and rush out with a flame trail, like he did in the intro to SSBM.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
A lot of new players have a hard time finding themselves in melee, having this back would definitley help with that.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Simple: It's a game.;)

It's been forever since I played SSB64, but I don't remember it taking that long.

Solid Smash

Smash Cadet
****, i miss those.

remember in ssb when they would appear and have individual ways of arriving onto the stage?
like fox riding the arwing, or mario coming out of a pipe.
did dk come out of a barrel? i forget.

but i think brawl should SERIOUSLY have character intros again.
just a little something that would make it more appealing to everyone, y'know?

EDIT: if you guys could, submit a form (if you haven't already) including the return of character intros to brawl. i'm sure no one can argue that it would have a negative impact on ANYONE. so just a little more text to your submition and request the return of character intros!
Near the end of the Nintendo world trailer, Snake is seen rubbing his chin and samus turns around very quickly with her gun in hand. ( Both of these actions only show the characters face or upper body, im guessing each character has a quick cinimatic/ taunt before the match starts and things go to hell.)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sonic pretty easy, he would run from the oposite side, then brake and turn to look at his oponents, and those the finger thing he does in his first games... Megaman easy will fall from the sky in the beam thingy... wolf in wolfen... .mach rider in his motrocycle... u get the idea...

Top Bottom