• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I have reservations about the rumor, but I don't understand at all why people think the existence of trophies negates characters from being DLC. There is no precedent whatsoever for characters being added to Smash after the fact, and whatever rule we make up as a definitive reason for their exclusion is completely arbitrary. Hypothetically, just give any further newcomers an additional new trophy that acknowledges their DLC status in its title or relabel the old one and boom, you're done.

It's Sakurai, and it's Smash. Any rule as we assume to know it can easily be broken.
This is exactly the point. If DLC is put on the table, all the "rules" we know go off it. This all reminds me of the debates around Civilization V, where there were so many Civs that "couldn't ever happen", because a major city of their's was in as a City State, only for them to... *drum roll* ...take out the city state when they added them as a Civ.

The funny part about all that is it actually created a great way of predicting Civs. The inclusion of Riga in the final expansion for the game actually allowed Venice to be predicted about 2 months in advance, as the colour-type combination of Riga was the same as Venice, and the only way that had been observed was with that city state being removed, and the only logical deduction that could be made was that Venice was in a civ. The debate from there was Italy or Venice, but when they showed a screens shot that had the colours of an unknown civ, and they were exactly the ones from wikipedia's Venetian Flag, as in, ink dropper off of it, it became clear that it was Venice. Of course another Italian city state was spotted, further strengthening the point that it must be Venice. To be honest that search, discovery and debate was a damn site more fun that "Ridley's too big, screw you Ridley!" debates that many had on here, but anyhow...

The point about all that is that if DLC really is on the table, there's a whole new dimension for speculation, and we may even be able to find new rules to work with. I seriously doubt we can take anything as ruling a character out of DLC reckoning as well, particularly as we've been told that DLC wasn't considered at the time of production, and as such it's unlikely that when they put together the assets that they did more than maybe leave placeholder tags to work with.

The most fun of it all of course is that if DLC does come, nobody is off the table, not Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, Ice Climbers, Snake, Chrom, even damn Shrek (ughh... they could licence him, ugh...), it's a free for all again. Considering the level of hype that this build up made, and the way they played the game with us through development, if they do go down that path it would be great all round. What's more is they have plenty of highly requested characters, cut veterans, third party cross overs and all sorts to play with. The sky really is the limit if they go down that road, particularly with Amiibos.

Of course, just like with how Civ V introduced DLC with a free Mongolia Civ download as a way of showing people how it would work, I'd think Nintendo would do something similar, and that may be the only character I'd think would be held back for the show. It would need to be someone big though, (like the Mongols were for Civ) but let's not get too far into who would be a candidate, as that is just down the rabbit hole levels of speculation at this point.

But yeah, long story short, nobody is off the table if DLC does come.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Could the 3DS version even handle DLC without the New 3DS? Serious question. Every time I play the demo I halfway expect it to explode in my hands.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Could the 3DS version even handle DLC without the New 3DS? Serious question. Every time I play the demo I halfway expect it to explode in my hands.
DLC is just more content, more a larger power requirement. It won't be putting more characters on the screen, it shouldn't take any more power.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Fire Emblem Awakening, SMT 4, and a few other 3ds games have DLC, and they work fine.

espio87

Smash Ace
Those 8000 blocks missing unsettle me. What could be missing that's as big as the game itself? (And don't say Ridley's that big! :laugh:) Maybe sakurai just estimated how much space the game would take after a year worth of patches? This Friday's patch wasn't a balance patch btw, it was a content patch. So yeah, the theory that Sakurai might add content after the 3DS release has some merit. Here's my analysis:
Free Characters: Unlikely. Sakurai might want to make everyone have free access to new fighters, but Nintendo might want to cash in some extra money. I don't blame them, they're a company and seek to make profit. MAYBE 1 character could be free, but the rest I doubt it.
Paid Characters: The most likely option. People want Ridley and Mewtwo so bad I bet they are willing to pay some money to get them. Give them a reasonable price and you'll hear a non-stop cha-ching!
Free stages: Again, unlikely, unless they release at a special date and say "Just for today, download this special stage for free" and then people would have to pay if they didn't get it that day.
Paid Stages: Possible, they wouldn't impact on the meta game and would serve as a novelty.
Paid Music: Also likely, for the above reason.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I still think this would be a great idea for Nintendo. Think about it. If you have smash bros on the 3DS, why would you pay $60 just to have it on the Wii U? Different game modes are NOT a good enough reason. Exclusive characters on the other hand, now we're talking. But if you have the 3DS version also, then you can receive those characters. Also those Wii U exclusive characters could be free to DL from the eshop. Either way, Nintendo should promote DLC for smash. Why?

Call of Duty, Street Fighter, Battlefield, Halo are all booming due to DLC. Twisted Metal sanked due to lack of DLC. Besides, Xbox One n PS4 are kicking Wii U's @$$ at the moment so it's all about survival in the business world. To further support Smash, I will purchase all forms of DLC this game offers.

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
^ They definitely screwed Wii U not throwing us a half dozen extra characters, even FOUR would suffice I'm sure.
If we don't get stacked with stages/modes/etc and that online isn't superb than seriously, what IS the point?

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I keep harping back to the original trailer where the one logo split into 2 games, symbolizing that both versions together would create a bigger experience or something like that. I feel like if you have both games you get some kind of big bonus across both platforms. If you don't, there will be anger about the 3DS version holding the Wii U version back. I guess the Wii U version will have more content, but I don't think that's enough to get most people to buy both. There has to be a smoking gun out there.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I keep harping back to the original trailer where the one logo split into 2 games, symbolizing that both versions together would create a bigger experience or something like that. I feel like if you have both games you get some kind of big bonus across both platforms. If you don't, there will be anger about the 3DS version holding the Wii U version back. I guess the Wii U version will have more content, but I don't think that's enough to get most people to buy both. There has to be a smoking gun out there.
Considering Sakurai has been saying the two were separate experiences and that putting them together doesn't get you anything special, it's highly unlikely.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
DLC? I can see that happening.

But when I said the theory was over, I was speaking of the ludicrous theory of WiiU and 3DS connectivity giving you extra characters. That's stupid and bad for consumers, I don't care WHAT character it offers, that would be in poor taste.

And it is for that reason and the reason that Sakurai gave to the NowGamer interview which makes me think it's not happening.

Petrichor

Smash Apprentice
NOPE.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-a/1100-6422301/
"Connect to a Wii U
You can exchange custom fighters or use your Nintendo 3DS as a Wii U controller."

Please lock this thread, immediately.
There's no cause to lock the thread until the premise behind it is proven to be conclusively wrong/invalid. The article you linked isn't proof of anything. It isn't based on an official statement from Nintendo. It isn't even a rumour. It's just a screen for the game. If Nintendo are holding back characters as a surprise for whatever reason, they aren't going to be stupid enough to put that info on a screen that millions of people can (and most likely will) see long before they can make the announcement themselves.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
NOPE.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-a/1100-6422301/
"Connect to a Wii U
You can exchange custom fighters or use your Nintendo 3DS as a Wii U controller."

Please lock this thread, immediately.
You're right...this Gamespot article by a guy who doesn't have the full Wii U game really proves you're more right than the OP. The fact that the writer is writing about a new feature he just found out about yesterday, 3DS working as a Wii U controller for Smash, means there are no more connectivity features to be unlocked...

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
There's no cause to lock the thread until the premise behind it is proven to be conclusively wrong/invalid. The article you linked isn't proof of anything. It isn't based on an official statement from Nintendo. It isn't even a rumour. It's just a screen for the game. If Nintendo are holding back characters as a surprise for whatever reason, they aren't going to be stupid enough to put that info on a screen that millions of people can (and most likely will) see long before they can make the announcement themselves.
"There's no cause to lock the thread until the premise behind it is proven to be conclusively wrong/invalid."
That's why I posted this. His view IS conclusively wrong/invalid.
Want more proof? Just look again:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...sed-as-a-wii-u-controller-in-super-smash-bros
and again:
http://www.consoletuner.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-as-a-controller/
and again:
http://lockerdome.com/6554136502080065/6970422147169812
As a wise hedgehog once said: YOU"RE TOO SLOOOOOW!
(Grabs popcorn)

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
"There's no cause to lock the thread until the premise behind it is proven to be conclusively wrong/invalid."
That's why I posted this. His view IS conclusively wrong/invalid.
YOU"RE TOO SLOOOOOW!
We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Want more proof? Just look again:
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/09/...sed-as-a-wii-u-controller-in-super-smash-bros
and again:
http://www.consoletuner.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-will-let-you-use-your-3ds-as-a-controller/
and again:
http://lockerdome.com/6554136502080065/6970422147169812
We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']
We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.
We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]
Um, have you heard of Sonic?...' X]
Keep it comin', folks (grabs more popcorn).

Last edited:

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]
Keep it comin', folks (grabs more popcorn).[/quote]

By far the most botched post I've ever seen...

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.
Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]Um, have you heard of Sonic?...']We won't know until the Wii U version is released. Also, what's with the taunt? Let's keep it civil.[/quote]
Keep it comin', folks (grabs more popcorn).[/quote]

By far the most botched post I've ever seen...[/quote]
Glad you loved it! LOL XD

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
He's just trolling - best thing to do is to ignore him entirely. I think most of us understand that this thread is pure speculation fostered by the hope of more content. There isn't anything definitive to disprove the theory and there are plenty of incentives for Nintendo to do this to sell more games / consoles to make it viable IMO.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
He's just trolling - best thing to do is to ignore him entirely. I think most of us understand that this thread is pure speculation fostered by the hope of more content. There isn't anything definitive to disprove the theory and there are plenty of incentives for Nintendo to do this to sell more games / consoles to make it viable IMO.
Taking Trolly's articles and mine is enough evidence to make this look like a pipe-dream. Really, I just don't want a ton of whining after this doesn't happen, like with Ridley.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
I'm going to be real.

Transfer exclusivity is a pipedream to me and it's something that people SHOULDN'T want. Some people are only getting one version of this game, don't make them buy two. Secondly, why is everyone telling me I'm against DLC or that I'm trying to disprove DLC? I'm clearly not talking about DLC, I'm talking about the idea that transfer unlocks is dumb and counter-intuitive to the core foundations and principles of Smash.

By all means, in a few months after release, if you wanna shower me with DLC and coconut cream pie, I will take it gladly. But transfer only, while it wouldn't affect me because I'm getting both 3DS and WiiU versions, it'd just be awful for people who weren't. I like thinking in the big picture, and the big picture that transfer only paints is not a good one, to me.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but can you guys just accept that some of us have hope for more? You don't want it or believe it fine. Do you really think saying it's a pipedream over and over is going to dissuade anyone?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No offense, but can you guys just accept that some of us have hope for more? You don't want it or believe it fine. Do you really think saying it's a pipedream over and over is going to dissuade anyone?
It has, but the evidence has dissuaded more people. I single-handedly brought both topics to a standstill after posting my article.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
So much salt, enough to fill a mine...
Put simply: we know nothing for sure. 3DS version is out in Japan, but no one has mined its data yet. We already know the game will receive "content" updates of some kind (the online patch for example). The topic itself is about a rumor that may or may not be true. Remember, Sakurai mentioned that connectivity between the two games and what it entails will be talked about at a later date. This date is still TBA at the moment. If the rumor is at least partially true, then whenever that date actually occurs, we will likely find out then.
I'm going to be real.

Transfer exclusivity is a pipedream to me and it's something that people SHOULDN'T want. Some people are only getting one version of this game, don't make them buy two. Secondly, why is everyone telling me I'm against DLC or that I'm trying to disprove DLC? I'm clearly not talking about DLC, I'm talking about the idea that transfer unlocks is dumb and counter-intuitive to the core foundations and principles of Smash.

By all means, in a few months after release, if you wanna shower me with DLC and coconut cream pie, I will take it gladly. But transfer only, while it wouldn't affect me because I'm getting both 3DS and WiiU versions, it'd just be awful for people who weren't. I like thinking in the big picture, and the big picture that transfer only paints is not a good one, to me.
Your key words: "...to me." So that's your opinion. Some others have already stated in this thread that they think differently than you. I'm not trying to start something. By all means, continue thinking this is a pipedream, if that is all it amounts to you. But, do not completely rule out any possible outcome. That just makes you ignorant. I'm keeping my mind open. Could it happen? Maybe. Will it happen? Don't know. Do I think it will happen? Unsure. Is there even the slightest possibility? Most assuredly.

Remember people:
It was never stated in the rumor whether or not the characters would be solely a transfer between systems or DLC or some other outcome. Additionally, no one said all of the rumored character files exist on the 3DS cart. For all we know, there are only files relating to whether or not these characters can be transferred from the Wii U game or there could be icons in the game's data like with, as previously mentioned in this thread, the Mario Kart 8 situation.

Edit: I believe every rumor should be taken with a grain of salt. Keep your expectations in check, but hope for the best.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Your key words: "...to me." So that's your opinion. Some others have already stated in this thread that they think differently than you. I'm not trying to start something. By all means, continue thinking this is a pipedream, if that is all it amounts to you. But, do not completely rule out any possible outcome. That just makes you ignorant.
I don't think my views are ignorant. I think they are my own that I logically put together. If I rule out something I believe I am warranted to rule it out. I don't think that's ignorant, I think that's putting together what I would consider a logical analysis. But I won't press on this matter much further then.

The real question is, what the heck would happen to the already obtained character trophies if there WAS DLC? (I ask this seriously.) Would they add parenthesis to the currently obtained trophies? Change their descriptions? Add brand new ones?

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
If DLC does cost money, I'm honestly happier about that.

I know that sounds like crazy-man talk. But let's examine Nintendo DLC with it's first party games recently.

The last two games Nintendo released DLC for that I remember are Mario Golf, and Mario Kart. And before that I remember Super Luigi Brothers U.

DLC for all is between the 10-20 dollar range.

Super Luigi Brothers U is essentially a full new game's worth of stages all on challenge mode and an additional character. 1/4 bonus characters and 1/1 bonus stages.

Mario Kart is six additional characters, and half the number of tracks in the original game. So 1/5 bonus characters, and 1/2 bonus stages.

Mario Golf is Four Characters and over half the courses and tournaments. Estimate to 1/4 bonus characters and 3/4 bonus stages.

Smash's total roster is: 48 - 51 (Depending on whether you count mii guys) and total stages are: 25

If I have to pay 15 more dollars for them to have enough time to work on a similar ratio of:

6-12 new characters and 12 new stages.... add in some customizable parts/ costume pieces/ costumes and moves..

Yeah, I'd pay them the more money for it.

Nintendo's been pretty fair with DLC.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Personally I think it's a fine idea. The 3DS version has done nothing but hedge the console one anyways. It's why we don't have ICs. The game shouldn't be held down because people are too cheap to get their console. They need to put incentives for it anyways.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Personally I think it's a fine idea. The 3DS version has done nothing but hedge the console one anyways. It's why we don't have ICs. The game shouldn't be held down because people are too cheap to get their console. They need to put incentives for it anyways.
It's the other way around. The Wii U version came second, and cut into SSB3D. The ICs being cut could of been the result of not being able to properly balance the game, so we don't know for sure.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I don't think my views are ignorant. I think they are my own that I logically put together. If I rule out something I believe I am warranted to rule it out. I don't think that's ignorant, I think that's putting together what I would consider a logical analysis. But I won't press on this matter much further then.

The real question is, what the heck would happen to the already obtained character trophies if there WAS DLC? (I ask this seriously.) Would they add parenthesis to the currently obtained trophies? Change their descriptions? Add brand new ones?
All I said was that it would be ignorant to rule it out completely, as in to say, with out a shadow of a doubt, that there is a 0% chance of the rumor coming true, not that your views in and of themselves were. Edit: Though I could have worded it a bit differently. Rereading it makes it sound like I was attacking you and your viewpoint. Sorry about that. But, you're fairly non-antagonistic in your responses, so there is no argument here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, after all.

As for a change in trophies, I'd say that there would likely be a separate trophy for whomever was made newly playable and that the previously existing trophy would be modified to reference its existence as a general description of the character that doesn't reflect their appearance in-game.

It's the other way around. The Wii U version came second, and cut into SSB3D. The ICs being cut could of been the result of not being able to properly balance the game, so we don't know for sure.
Not quite. Here's a quote taken from an IGN article: "Sakurai did tell me that 'multiple character' combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS." Source:http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

If anything, the challenges caused by developing previously mentioned combatant types, in combination with the deadlines and a need to work on other character types, resulted in the lack of Ice Climbers in the game.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
That doesn't even make any sense. Furthermore, Sakurai himself said that they were having trouble implementing the ICs because the 3DS had a hard time handling them. The Wii U version is obviously the primary platform for the game, most of the development resources have been put into it and most of the promotions, barring the most recent ones, have been using the Wii U platform. The only reason the 3DS version is being pushed more right now is because it just came out.

Reader

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of DLC characters, but I think that people without Wii U should also be able to get them somehow. Maybe Wii U owners could get them earlier or something?

Either way, I'm quite sure that smash will have DLC. Many potential characters already have a trophy (Ice Climbers, Mewtwo) meaning that they already have a possible render for the game while other characters (Lucas) already have their potential move set in the game as move variations for other characters meaning that they will also take less work. If Mario Kart can get DLC, then smash could get it as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
All I said was that it would be ignorant to rule it out completely, as in to say, with out a shadow of a doubt, that there is a 0% chance of the rumor coming true, not that your views in and of themselves were. Edit: Though I could have worded it a bit differently. Rereading it makes it sound like I was attacking you and your viewpoint. Sorry about that. But, you're fairly non-antagonistic in your responses, so there is no argument here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, after all.

As for a change in trophies, I'd say that there would likely be a separate trophy for whomever was made newly playable and that the previously existing trophy would be modified to reference its existence as a general description of the character that doesn't reflect their appearance in-game.

Not quite. Here's a quote taken from an IGN article: "Sakurai did tell me that 'multiple character' combatants like the Ice Climbers were proving a technical challenge on the 3DS." Source:http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/03/creating-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-and-3ds?page=2

If anything, the challenges caused by developing previously mentioned combatant types, in combination with the deadlines and a need to work on other character types, resulted in the lack of Ice Climbers in the game.
That doesn't even make any sense. Furthermore, Sakurai himself said that they were having trouble implementing the ICs because the 3DS had a hard time handling them. The Wii U version is obviously the primary platform for the game, most of the development resources have been put into it and most of the promotions, barring the most recent ones, have been using the Wii U platform. The only reason the 3DS version is being pushed more right now is because it just came out.
Issues =/= wasn't possible. Rosalina, remember? Until Sakurai comes out and says it wasn't possible because of the 3DS, you can't prove it. He even said "like the ICs," so we don't even know if Sakurai tried them in specific.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
All hail on disc DLC! It would be kind of awesome if they took some characters out of the Wii U version that are only in the 3DS version and the only way to unlock them is getting both versions

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
All hail on disc DLC! It would be kind of awesome if they took some characters out of the Wii U version that are only in the 3DS version and the only way to unlock them is getting both versions
That is actually the worst thing a game developer / publisher can do. It actually brought Capcom to the brink of ruin because they continued to do this ****.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you don't have to buy both versions of the game, let alone have personal data for both? It could possibly be connecting with any Wii U or 3DS.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
You know you probably wouldn't even have to own the other version right? It's probably just a, "If you connect to a Wii U now you are able to unlock the other characters" kind of thing.

edit: ninja'd

Last edited:
Top Bottom