• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
Will this use its own folder like Project M or will it use the Private folder like Brawl+ or Brawl-?
That'd be cool if it says something like "Reality", but you'd have to type that out in assembly, does anyone know what that code would be? I know it's part of the file patch

Last edited:

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
That'd be cool if it says something like "Reality", but you'd have to type that out in assembly, does anyone know what that code would be? I know it's part of the file patch
I just want it to use its own folder so I can use it with other mods.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I propose that alts and new characters (if that happens) be announced like this. Full render and background

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
R64's still alive?

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
R64's still alive?
Yeah, but production seems to be slow. This is because people in the team have things to do in their real lives and can't work on it as much as they'd like too. I think it's mainly because of a lack of man power though. I think we should have weekly meetings to discuss changes. From what I've seen, all the character changes for the demo seem about done, however the game seems to freeze at certain points. I think we need help from members of the PMDT. I know I'm only a new member of the team and haven't affected the actual game at all up to this point but I think there needs to be changes from a development standpoint. I am not the leader of r64 and I'm not trying to be, but I believe in this project enough to try and get it out as soon as possible. What we need at least 2 experienced brawl coders, an experienced texture, an experienced modeler, a model/vertex importer, 2 testers, and 2 debuggers in addition to what we already have. I think the lack of man power comes from a lack of interest by high experienced modders, mainly because they're mostly already in the PMDT. I think Reality 64 needs to reach out more to the modding community more. If all of this can be done, I bet a version will be out before this time next year with a version that is more than just a Brawl with a new engine. I want to see it have alts (already confirmed), a competitive stagelist, new menu, css, sss, and even be Brawl Ex compatible, but we need help.

Jackpot08

Smash Apprentice
people from the team should reach out to ProjectM people because if us fans do it it's not serious nor really official. but if the team reaches out could gain more traction

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Yeah, but production seems to be slow. This is because people in the team have things to do in their real lives and can't work on it as much as they'd like too. I think it's mainly because of a lack of man power though. I think we should have weekly meetings to discuss changes. From what I've seen, all the character changes for the demo seem about done, however the game seems to freeze at certain points. I think we need help from members of the PMDT. I know I'm only a new member of the team and haven't affected the actual game at all up to this point but I think there needs to be changes from a development standpoint. I am not the leader of r64 and I'm not trying to be, but I believe in this project enough to try and get it out as soon as possible. What we need at least 2 experienced brawl coders, an experienced texture, an experienced modeler, a model/vertex importer, 2 testers, and 2 debuggers in addition to what we already have. I think the lack of man power comes from a lack of interest by high experienced modders, mainly because they're mostly already in the PMDT. I think Reality 64 needs to reach out more to the modding community more. If all of this can be done, I bet a version will be out before this time next year with a version that is more than just a Brawl with a new engine. I want to see it have alts (already confirmed), a competitive stagelist, new menu, css, sss, and even be Brawl Ex compatible, but we need help.
I agree about the lack of man power. I wish I could contribute more to project besides making artwork.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have a usb gecko if you guys need someone with the ability to debug things. I also can write codes, depending on what you guys need.

Rimjo

Smash Rookie
Quick question. SSB grab aniamtions (with the exception of tether grabs) all take 15 frames to complete, and have the grab hitbox out for one frame in animation. In SSBB, grab animations (with the exception of tether grabs again) takes 30 frames (I believe its 30? I could be wrong. Someone who knows Brawl better then I do tell me whats up) to complete and the grab hitbox is out for 2 frames instead of 1. Are you guys going to change the grab animations to match their 64 frame data?

Super Lucario Sunshine

Master of Aura
NNID
anndimac
While each smash has its ups and downs, if you look at the actual game mechanics compared to Melee, PM, or SSB4 smash 64 doesn't have much to offer other than nostalgia, the mechanics removed were (mostly) all great and welcomed, sell me on this, what does 64 have better than PM or SSB4

Obskore

Smash Ace
While each smash has its ups and downs, if you look at the actual game mechanics compared to Melee, PM, or SSB4 smash 64 doesn't have much to offer other than nostalgia, the mechanics removed were (mostly) all great and welcomed, sell me on this, what does 64 have better than PM or SSB4
land cancelling? jab-grab? :p

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
LOL what's the point of this? No airdodge or spotdodge,no pummels or perfect shield. Basically no fun. You're only doing this because of nostalgia. Nostalgia is the most powerful thing in the world hence why melee fanboys exist.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Melee is still played to this day because it has good mechanics that can open up an insanely deep and fun meta game, and it's still quite possible to enjoy it on its own merits. I know quite a few people that could qualify as "Melee fanboys" that only picked up the game in the past couple of years or so after largely being casual players.

The same can apply to 64. Your defensive options are limited in 64, yes, but that's part of what makes it fun. One wrong move and your opponent can literally covert a single hit into a stock loss for you. It's also a fairly "pure" version of what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros. It doesn't have a lot of the extra fluff because the game doesn't need it.

Kart8Smash4

Smash Rookie
LOL what's the point of this? No airdodge or spotdodge,no pummels or perfect shield. Basically no fun. You're only doing this because of nostalgia. Nostalgia is the most powerful thing in the world hence why melee fanboys exist.
Melee is not about nostalgia; it's just a higher tier game than brawl, and infinitely higher than 4, hence far better than either..

Melee is still played to this day because it has good mechanics that can open up an insanely deep and fun meta game, and it's still quite possible to enjoy it on its own merits. I know quite a few people that could qualify as "Melee fanboys" that only picked up the game in the past couple of years or so after largely being casual players.

The same can apply to 64. Your defensive options are limited in 64, yes, but that's part of what makes it fun. One wrong move and your opponent can literally covert a single hit into a stock loss for you. It's also a fairly "pure" version of what makes Smash Bros, Smash Bros. It doesn't have a lot of the extra fluff because the game doesn't need it.
I never realised how good 64 is. I started playing it again after I discovered this, and it's just fantastic. The only issue that I have is which buttons do what. I play with a GameCube controller, and I quite prefer L and R to be shield and Z (ZL and ZR on the hori GameCube mimic) to be grab, Y and X to be jump, and I love my C stick for smashes.

Kart8Smash4

Smash Rookie
And the point of this project is to have fun, quite simply.

Zarx1554

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zarx1554
I'm going to improve my renders, so don't think those are final. This isn't dead if anyone is thinking that.

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Quick question. SSB grab aniamtions (with the exception of tether grabs) all take 15 frames to complete, and have the grab hitbox out for one frame in animation. In SSBB, grab animations (with the exception of tether grabs again) takes 30 frames (I believe its 30? I could be wrong. Someone who knows Brawl better then I do tell me whats up) to complete and the grab hitbox is out for 2 frames instead of 1. Are you guys going to change the grab animations to match their 64 frame data?
Probably not, since 64 ran at 30fps and not 60fps like Brawl.

Obskore

Smash Ace
ok, so i made a little of a test to emulate Smash 64's style for victory fanfares (i ripped the soundfont from the game), and started with Snake.
here's a sample of it http://vocaroo.com/i/s0vilGFnPVA7. I didn't know Vocaroo compressed the audio into mono, but i chose Vocaroo because it's quicker than soundcloud or MF to upload and listen to (and i don't have a Soundcloud account)

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I have some ideas for this -
- Add the unused stages seen in SSB64's files.
- Maybe add the characters that never made the cut?
- Add sounds from Smash 64
- Add SSB64 Model skins to have an option to fit in with the SSB64 level style

I would LOVE to see this happen. I wonder if a comp field will come outta this...it seems to have a lot of potential to revive the original game's comp field as well. I'm so supporting this!

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
By the way, this is a VERY tall order, but maybe a PAL version could happen for this as well with everything it needs to work with an SD Card? I'd love to see a pack for the entire mod to work right after copying it onto an empty SD, since not only does PAL get no love, but there's always like 10 things you need to download before being actually capable of using the darn things.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Guys, I'm sorry to say this, but the project is cancelled. There are many reasons why this project is being cancelled, but those reasons are not worth mentioning in the current time.

Don't fret though, we have a few members from the team who will be working on a sorta "goodbye" project for the people who stuck with us till the end. The OP will be re-purposed to fit this cause. I can only leave you with a teaser though:

Top Bottom