• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Would it be possible for you guys to use Models from other N64 games for characters that already appear in SSB64 (such as using SM64 Mario or DK64 DK)?

Last edited:

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
Game&Watcher said:
Would it be possible for you guys to use Models from other N64 games for characters that already appear in SSB64 (such as using SM64 Mario or DK64 DK)?
I'm probably guessing, maybe not. I might see a few reasons why, but they're not accurate.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Game&Watcher said:
Sluigi123 said:
I'm probably guessing, maybe not. I might see a few reasons why, but they're not accurate.
I meant as alternate costumes, like P:M.
Oh you meant that. That's a possibility, but I'm the stage worker of the team, not a model exporter, cause I don't know squat of how to do that at all. :ohwell:

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I support N64 alt. costumes!
Also i wonder if would be a good idea to use N64 inspired stages from Melee?
like Mute City (F-Zero X), Great Bay (Majora's Mask), Venom and Corneria (Star Fox 64), Rainbow Cruise (Super Mario 64)

Or maybe recreatons of those stages with N64-like textures/models?

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I support N64 alt. costumes!
Also i wonder if would be a good idea to use N64 inspired stages from Melee?
like Mute City (F-Zero X), Great Bay (Majora's Mask), Venom and Corneria (Star Fox 64), Rainbow Cruise (Super Mario 64)

Or maybe recreatons of those stages with N64-like textures/models?
Yeah that was asked on the last page, I don't think there's an answer for it yet though.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
So will all of the characters have (as their primary costumes) 64 esque models, CSPs, and CSS icons?

Also, will there be more 64 esque stages besides the originals?

This is a really cool project, by the way. Can't wait for the first demo.

EDIT: This is a common question apparently. :chuckle:

Last edited:

RazzleDazzle

Smash Cadet
You guys need and help? I was a heavy Brawl player and hacker before I was introduced to competitive Melee. And if all you guys are looking for is 64esque textures, I can do that easy.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
andalsoandy said:
So will all of the characters have (as their primary costumes) 64 esque models, CSPs, and CSS icons?

Also, will there be more 64 esque stages besides the originals?

This is a really cool project, by the way. Can't wait for the first demo.

EDIT: This is a common question apparently. :chuckle:
This question(s) has already been answered in the earlier posts. You might have to skim through page-by-page in this thread.

I for one have no idea what's going on with the rest of my group, but I'm still tweaking and fixing my "other project." Until it's finished to the point to where I can continue on with adding more stuff into that project, I'll start making/modify more stages and maybe make some item PSA's exclusively for Reality 64. ;)

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Will Jigglypuff have her Melee buffs (last double jumps give better height, Buffed Rest, better air speed) or is she going to be nerfed to match her 64 appearance?

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
That I cannot answer except this; Capps did say that we are making the characters to be as close to their 64 moveset as possible, and start from there at a very later date. Maybe in the summer is my guess, but not the group's target release, unless Capps himself says what the target release will be.

EDIT: Do not forget that this is a Wii that this project will be running off of, cause the hurtboxes and hitboxes will be circular, rather than prisms and cubes on the N64, so most or almost all moves will be less disjointed than what one would expect from the original. This is just a heads-up to all of you people.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Yeah, the jump nerfs will probably follow a similar trend to other character changes: make it like N64, and then balance it from there. If it seems hard for Jigglypuff to compete, we would consider making those changes.

Saxophoneoftime

Smash Lord
Nice find!

Is this still being worked on? There hasn't been a post regarding any progress recently.

Vale

Smash Ace
Yeah, we've been continuing to implement proper character values. We missed some of them on the first go around, but I believe we have most of it figured out now. We'd still need to change up movesets at the least before a release, ignoring things like character skins and a few codes that would make gameplay more like 64. Somebody else would have to comment on whether we're going to be making balance changes beforehand with our discretion or let a demo out for playtesting first.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, we've been continuing to implement proper character values. We missed some of them on the first go around, but I believe we have most of it figured out now. We'd still need to change up movesets at the least before a release, ignoring things like character skins and a few codes that would make gameplay more like 64. Somebody else would have to comment on whether we're going to be making balance changes beforehand with our discretion or let a demo out for playtesting first.
Plz release demo. The sooner this thing hits the public, the more feedback you are going to get.

Vale

Smash Ace
Plz release demo. The sooner this thing hits the public, the more feedback you are going to get.
I completely agree with you. The best I can personally do is bring it up with the other members again. I doubt I'll be able to get anyone to agree before we at least revert some moves. I think they might fear "people will try out the first version, then quit and never try it again because falcon/yoshi/their main is currently missing a really important move that was in 64," although I'm not certain.

Cool Blue

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with you. The best I can personally do is bring it up with the other members again. I doubt I'll be able to get anyone to agree before we at least revert some moves. I think they might fear "people will try out the first version, then quit and never try it again because falcon/yoshi/their main is currently missing a really important move that was in 64," although I'm not certain.
Then just focus on making the best first outing you possibly can. While I would rather have this sooner than later, I can still be patient.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
I would love to join the team. I can make N64-ish looking icons/stage icons. Also I have great ideas for the characters and that. I have ripped models in the past for this moment.
- Peach's Castle will show up one way or another.
- Ninten/Masked Man will be in.
- Will rip some models from 64. (No s*&^)
- Young Link will replace Toon Link.
- Wario will use his Mario Party model.
- The Mario party characters may have Mario Party 2 costumes.
- Snake may be replaced with Bomberman.
- BrawlEx may be used.
- Mewtwo will be in one way or another.
- More stages related to 64.
- Characters not from N64 games will be forced to look like N64 characters.
I can also make CSPs for this project.
Also the best idea to get this project out there is to work in a skype group. I will contact the owner of this thread my skype so we can get this started!

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
We've been using a group private message on here, what benefits does a Skype chat have over it?

Rage83

Smash Ace
I would love to join the team. I can make N64-ish looking icons/stage icons. Also I have great ideas for the characters and that. I have ripped models in the past for this moment.
- BrawlEx may be used.
Also the best idea to get this project out there is to work in a skype group. I will contact the owner of this thread my skype so we can get this started!
Instead of completely replacing the Metal Gear Solid franchise in Reality 64, why not just use Snake's MGS1(PSX) model? It's certainly low poly enough. How does Bomberman fit into Smash at all? As for Toon Link, why not have an N64-styled version of him AND Young Link? Mewtwo can use his Pokemon Stadium 1/2 models. As for 64/64-styled characters, plenty already exist on BV.

Comments on that aside, i'd like to help the project with simply making sure that things are set up correctly. I've had to bugfix a great many things before and I think that my experience with it can help here. :p

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Instead of completely replacing the Metal Gear Solid franchise in Reality 64, why not just use Snake's MGS1(PSX) model? It's certainly low poly enough. How does Bomberman fit into Smash at all? As for Toon Link, why not have an N64-styled version of him AND Young Link? Mewtwo can use his Pokemon Stadium 1/2 models. As for 64/64-styled characters, plenty already exist on BV.

Comments on that aside, i'd like to help the project with simply making sure that things are set up correctly. I've had to bugfix a great many things before and I think that my experience with it can help here. :p
Bomberman had some of the best games on N64

Edit: Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

Rage83

Smash Ace
Bomberman had some of the best games on N64.

I personally rule him out because of his status as an unsupported third-party character, and the fact that Snake was, yes a third-party character, but officially included. Just because I think that something like Goku would be cool in Smash(which I do not) doesn't give it any more reason to be in the series. Smash Bros. is intended to represent Nintendo, even moreso with Melee and 64's lack of guest characters. Sonic and Snake are grandfathered in, and i'm perfectly fine with that. Why? Because they were officially given the green light by all sides to be included, and they share the same design formula as the first party cast. Also, rememeber that this project is designed to replicate and improve upon an established official entry, not to become some mugen where you can have anything you want from anything as part of an "official" package.

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
- BrawlEx may be used.
I support you on being included on this team, it's just that I'm not the leader of this project. More like, being (though not exactly) 1st Mate of the crew. I'm curious though, could you see me an example(s)/preview(s) for me of what you got so far?

We've been using a group private message on here, what benefits does a Skype chat have over it?
Though I'm not sure about this, but video chatting? :ohwell:

Bomberman had some of the best games on N64

Though Rage83 isn't trying to be mean or anything, but he's right overall. I would like to see Bomberman in at least one Smash game (excluding Fan-Made games, like SSF2), cause he's got potential to have a good moveset. Sadly, Nintendo wasn't given the green light to add Bomberman to start with.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
I've been lurking this thread for awhile after i made a post awhile back and i just have a couple of things to say.

First I'd like to say that I'm really excited to try this whenever the demo comes out. I loved smash 64 so hopefully this project will be a well deserved homage to the original. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy combos we'll be able to pull off.

Second I'd like to address something i believe i pointed out earlier. While right now it seems a good idea to use low poly, poor resolution characters for nostalgia and the classic experience I'm just letting you know that it might not come out as well as you intend. Even though a lot of the characters from brawl were on the N64, some weren't. That will present a clash in varying textures and resolutions. It would be one thing if you had all the characters from brawl in 64 but that's certainly not the case. Also take a moment to consider that different 64 games had different styles of presenting characters. 64 Smash bros Mario might look good with the rest of the 64 smash cast, but what do you do when Mario from Super Mario 64 looks better with pokemon stadium charizard, squirtle and ivysaur? You might think we'll overlook these things but it's precisely these types of decisions that sets the difference between Project M and some amateur looking mod. I'm not saying that 64 esque models cannot be done but if you are going to even attempt to redefine brawl's art style then you need to seriously consider whether you have the talent and time to do something like what's being done in the Smash 3 thread.

Thirdly I'd like to present an idea to help you in the process. Put aesthetics on hold. The engine and characters come first. I'm sure you all know this but i just wanted to reassure you if you had people specifically working on character models. Perfect the engine. This is top priority. Once the engine matches 64 perfectly you should start adding characters into it. You really only need 2 characters to test out the engine so if you have 5 or 6 and are still working on more characters, I'd recommend putting that on hold until the engine is complete.

Again I'm really excited for this, but upfront it seems all that is getting done is stage work and aesthetic changes.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
@Capps, @ Madao Madao , what are your thoughts on the addition of new team members?

Also, I agree with @ NisforSmash NisforSmash 's post. I figured that our models would just be alternate costumes, but I'm not sure how the rest of the team felt on this issue. However, it should be known that we are working on the engine and making the character attributes match N64 as our top priority.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
@Capps, @ Madao Madao , what are your thoughts on the addition of new team members?

Also, I agree with @ NisforSmash NisforSmash 's post. I figured that our models would just be alternate costumes, but I'm not sure how the rest of the team felt on this issue. However, it should be known that we are working on the engine and making the character attributes match N64 as our top priority.
Awesome. I understand a lot might be going on behind the scenes but an update here or there saying that your struggling with something is a good way to let the community know that your still at work.

TheRealHeroOfWinds

Smash Ace
Here is an example of what a character icon would look like in my eyes:

Both would be in our own style of course.
(With our own models for the character.)

Also the weird split is where it changes for the top and bottom of the icon. Since Brawl Box needs a top and bottom.

Last edited:

Madao

Anyone is welcome to join lol. We could use any help we can use any help we can get. Some of our team members have been inactive anyway.

Rage83

Smash Ace
Anyone is welcome to join lol. We could use any help we can use any help we can get. Some of our team members have been inactive anyway.
Have my Skype name. :p : Rage83(Rene)

I'll be able to help mostly with setting things up, optimizing, and bugfixing when it comes to characters and some menus. For right now, while you guys are still working on the engine, I could make some arrangements for the N64/N64-styled costumes.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Personally, I think you should keep the entire Brawl cast like it is. Then worry about other characters. As far as new characters go, I would only use characters in Brawl, and then only the Nintendo ones for this project specifically. And I'd stay on the retro side because that seems to be the appeal you're getting at. Characters like Balloon Fighter and Excitebiker.
Anyway, my two cents. Keep doing what you're doing.

Top Bottom