• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Reality 64: A Smash 64 Mod For Brawl [Not Quite The End | Page 26]

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Hey guys. I just stumbled onto this through the Isai AMA
I really support this idea. I'm not a big 64 fan (In fact I think a lot of the mechanics like the extended ((from Melee)) shield hitstun are BS) BUT I still love Smash in general and of course look forward to anything Smash related. I love it. I really hope this project does not die and becomes a hit.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
I also just found this from Isai's AMA and I wanted to say I love this idea and can't wait to see what comes of it :D

Sluigi123

R64/Brawl- Dev; AI Coder; Balancer
NNID
Sluigi123
NEWS UPDATE!

New Weight Values! Most Attributes converted into Brawl!

Madao and I were working on value conversions from 64 to Brawl, and got almost all the attributes done, mostly thanks to moi!
As for weight values, I was a bit surprised about the new ones, but the knockback equation from 64 is what made them be like that. Besides that, here are the official weight values of all 12 characters, starting with the most heaviest:

Donkey Kong -> 141
Samus -> 117
Yoshi - > 115
Link -> 108
C. Falcon -> 108
Mario -> 100
Fox -> 100
Luigi -> 100
Ness -> 82
Pikachu -> 72
Kirby -> 68
Jigglypuff -> 54

Give us your opinions on this, while I'm gonna go work on a competitive version of Saffron City for Reality 64! ;)

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
I'm going to explain the weight conversion process. If we've done something wrong, feel free to point it out.

Originally, we had a few different ways to convert weights, such as dividing 100 by the N64 values to get a value close to Brawl's (e.g. Link's 100/.96 = 104).
However, when we were looking at the knockback formulas between the game, we noticed the following:
1) In the N64 version, knockback is multiplied by the character's weight "w".
2) In Brawl, knockback is multiplied by 200/(w+100).
3) There were no other differences in the knockback formula.

From this, we determined that N64 weight = 200/(brawl weight + 100), where "brawl weight" is a properly converted N64 value. This leads to the following equation:
Brawl weight = (200/n64 weight) - 100, and this is how we obtained our current values. Of course, these are subject to change during the balancing process later on.

EDIT: Also, the weight variable is of type integer, leading to us having to round.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I really hope this takes off!

If you need a playtester, I'll help if I have time. I'm intricately familiar with the feel of weights and knockback for all 12 characters in 64, so I can help with the new weight stuff especially.

Finally, I'm wondering if you planned to include Yoshi's special powershielding.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
lol you mean PARRY, get 64 players for play testing like meeeeee xD landing should cancel shines, thank you.

Vale

Smash Ace
Character-specific mechanics and move attributes are on the radar of the team. We currently have plans for the first release (v0.5) to make changes towards this goal. However, I personally believe it takes second place towards more global goals such as the knockback and hitstun systems. The moves will most likely be organized in priority based on how essential they are towards a character's overall gameplay.

Vale

Smash Ace
it must be said....
will Kirby have the God tilt again?
Balancing the cast is something that we plan to do. However, we can't do that until we get everything else working, and as of right now members of the team are more concerned with getting the values into Brawl/making stages/restoring moveset animations. Additionally, most balancing will focus on buffing rather than nerfing, although some moves may become less powerful. So, maybe.

you guys almost done im dying :(
According to our current estimations, the answer is an unfortunate "no." Looking at our goals for the v0.5 release, we're further along with stages than we are with actually getting the game to function properly. That being said, figuring out how to convert weight is a step forward, and we've begun work on getting values imported. Additionally, we've had some codes, such as tech modifications, from Day 1, so we may be further along than we project.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Balancing the cast is something that we plan to do. However, we can't do that until we get everything else working, and as of right now members of the team are more concerned with getting the values into Brawl/making stages/restoring moveset animations. Additionally, most balancing will focus on buffing rather than nerfing, although some moves may become less powerful. So, maybe.
I really love to hear that; I hate how PM completely redesigned characters before even doing quick imports of everyone else.

Once you do get to balancing, I'd prefer Kirby keep his "God Tilt". One of the reasons I love 64 is that the massive shieldstun makes shielding a lot less safe, not to mention the highly entertaining shield break combos. It would feel like Brawl if the defender got a frame advantage from shielding even light attacks.

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
For characters that don't already have N64-style models, I've found a way to still have them. And it's been in Brawlbox all along, even though I'm too ****ty at 3D modeling right now to help you guys as much as I'd like. Hiding the noobish terrible texture mapping and all that, here's ZSS:

it's simple. It's the 3D model for shadows, it's low-poly and on-point. If someone more experienced than myself were to texture this (I'm really, really out of my league trying to do anything 3D as my area of expertise is 2D right now), it would be the perfect model for her in this project.

The same goes for almost every other character that doesn't have an N64 model to correspond with.

Cheers!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Or if they go all OG 12 they could have that model when Samus is electrocuted by Pikachu.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
For characters that don't already have N64-style models, I've found a way to still have them. And it's been in Brawlbox all along, even though I'm too ****ty at 3D modeling right now to help you guys as much as I'd like. Hiding the noobish terrible texture mapping and all that, here's ZSS:

it's simple. It's the 3D model for shadows, it's low-poly and on-point. If someone more experienced than myself were to texture this (I'm really, really out of my league trying to do anything 3D as my area of expertise is 2D right now), it would be the perfect model for her in this project.

The same goes for almost every other character that doesn't have an N64 model to correspond with.

Cheers!
I'll be sure the team gets a look at this, it would be rather cool to bring back some old school graphics to give this project a proper feel and this looks like a fast fix, thank you!!!

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
I'll be sure the team gets a look at this, it would be rather cool to bring back some old school graphics to give this project a proper feel and this looks like a fast fix, thank you!!!
My pleasure :) I can't wait for this project haha. If I knew more about UVW mapping, I'd be helping you guys texture these models already. Sadly, my first attempt was horrible :D

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Um when is demo .5 projected to be released
We don't have an exact date yet, there are a few things mathematically we still have to figure out. When we can get the physics out we can get a better schedule on how long it takes for us to implement a schedule and get a date out.

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice
um If you need I have an engine which is really similar to 64

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Oh so many hours spent playing SSB64, i'm going to play this so hard.
Also it would be cool to have Stages based of 64 games like Super Mario 64, OoT, Majora's Mask, DK64, Kirby64 etc.

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
Also it would be cool to have Stages based of 64 games like Super Mario 64, OoT, Majora's Mask, DK64, Kirby64 etc.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=30610
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=24028 (I'm assuming you'd want the custom platforms version.)
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=22800 (Yes, this may be a Melee Stage, but it still fits due to Majora)
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=25125
(Couldn't find a Kirby 64 stage aside from a vBrawl Norfair retexture)

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I've been looking into ideas for this, expect some cool ideas hopefully :)

We're hoping to keep the game as in the N64 era as possible using games and ideas from around that era. It won't be perfect (some characters weren't around back then and all) but we'll make things work :)

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Now that I think about it, since Bowser and DeDeDe were supposed to originally be in 64, that would be kinda neat...

Also, if going all 64...Goldeneye stage?

Last edited:

InnerMobius

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, since Bowser and DeDeDe were supposed to originally be in 64, that would be kinda neat...

Also, if going all 64...Goldeneye stage?
Maybe Bond over Snake to go with said Goldeneye stage? :D

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Question: will you be adding characters from Melee too?
The v0.5 release will only include the original 12 characters. We want to get them working before starting to port the others over. We could put them in earlier, but it would mean a longer time until first release, which we still aren't even sure of.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
The v0.5 release will only include the original 12 characters. We want to get them working before starting to port the others over. We could put them in earlier, but it would mean a longer time until first release, which we still aren't even sure of.
I mean, will you ever put in Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, and Young Link?

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Sorry, but we're not sure about that question. What I meant to say is, we're not ready for that question to be answered, as of yet.

sushifreAk

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cyb3Rnite
3DS FC
4554-0880-9460
I'm still here, I can design logos, websites, menu/css/sss textures if you need it.
Starting March. Because I messed up and now I am grounded. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Sluigi123

NNID
Sluigi123
Since I was the one who made the logo, I guess I'll continue working on the Reality 64 logo, but with "Super Smash Bros." on top of it.

@ sushifreAk sushifreAk : That kind of sucks. IDK, cause I've been grounded so many times, that it's not funny anymore, but oh well. The longest time I've been grounded was about 2 years, and that was because of being a scapegoat, but I tried not to, but couldn't find proof, cause those people (or relatives) kept throwing the evidence away... a lot, but I've gotten over it ever since.

Also, no progress for a while, cause I'll be busy, and cause you know, "life."

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
@ sushifreAk sushifreAk : If you'd like to contribute something, I'd say to just make it when you can. Last I checked, some people don't think we should be creating a website yet, but having the outline would be great for when we do implement it.

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
I wish I could help! I mean not to brag but I do usually notice the tiniest bugs. I notice em all the time in PM. BTW idea for another name: Project N... lol.
Also is it possible you will add all SSBB characters? Not just Smash 64? Another reccomendation would to be adding in other competitve stages from the smash series like Yoshi's Story & Fountain of Dreams. Final recommendation: The Forgotten Five. But those are just my thoughts.

Last edited:

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
Project 64 already exists and is something else entirely, but in general yes this is an attempt to mod Brawl to play like 64, similar on how Project M took Brawl and made it play like Melee.
So are you going to include all SSBB characters and buff characters like Samus, Luigi, and Link?

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
I know you were talking about getting rid of F.L.U.U.D and etc but I wanted to know if you had plans to tweak the other characters that weren't apart of the original roster in a way that would fit them better for the Smash 64 formula. I'm also curious on how strong you're going to make the Uthrows and Dthrows, as in Smash 64 throws are much, much more powerful.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
Unofficial response:
tweak the other characters that weren't a part of the original roster
Yes. Straight ports would be pretty dumb and destroy the balance. However, the first characters we add beyond the original twelve will probably be ones that don't need as much changing.

how strong you're going to make the uthrows and dthrows
Grabs are pretty cool. With four options, we can make some solid combo starters and finishers, and anything else relevant. For instance, Ness' uthrow is "weak" in Melee, but combos into a string of up airs against fast falling characters at low percents. We can also have moderate knockback moves that deal high amounts of damage and reset the game to a neutral state. While throws will still be strong, not all of them will be so in the sense of knockback. Like most other things, we need to get to a state where we have a base to work from. I'm not sure what the rest of the team thinks, however.

Semi-Official response:
tweak the other characters that weren't a part of the original roster
Eventually™

throw strength
We plan to reimplement the strength of f/bthrows for the original characters, with potential for future changes in the name of balance. While we're keeping u/dthrow, we're unsure what path we'll take with them.

Top Bottom