• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rayman: Hero of the Glade of Dreams - The Great Escape

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
:/ sigh, if I wasn't so shy, afraid of showing my stuff or if I was an actually decent artist, I would love to try.
Please. Take your time with things, don't rush yourself with that when it comes to sharing your art. You are a decent artist in my eyes, you'll get out there when the time comes someday, don't worry.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
BTW, now that we're allowed to share our stuff on Smash Bros Wii U, I'll be sending you guys my Rayman related stuff as well as to everyone on Miiverse to help raise awareness in bringing Rayman into Smash Bros. I've just posted my first Rayman related stage for sharing. There will be plenty more where that came from.

To download said stage, access Miiverse via Wii U and select the Start icon to download this stage. My NNID is SuperAbachiBro, just to let you people know.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Well, I'm back. My campaign ended on a low note today; I only managed to pass out 3 vote forms today. However, there's still a few people who I gave the vote forms to, but haven't gotten to voting yet, so the votes should keep coming.
Anyway, I could only make three vote forms last night as I had a ton of work. Sorry if I let you guys down.
As of right now, the total stands at 39 potential votes for Rayman.

louie g

Smash Journeyman
So what do you guys think of mewtwo so far?

Also, @ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash

That attention to detail on his face is fantastic, I'll try to remember to try it out.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Also, @ Rayman4Smash Rayman4Smash

That attention to detail on his face is fantastic, I'll try to remember to try it out.
Mewtwo's fantastic, already one of my mains. So much fun, despite him being the second lightest character in the game. :S

On that topic... I wonder what weight Rayman would be. Probably light considering the lack of limbs.

Last edited:

louie g

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo's fantastic, already one of my mains. So much fun, despite him being the second lightest character in the game. :S

On that topic... I wonder what weight Rayman would be. Probably light considering the lack of limbs.
That's cool to hear, it does seem weird how they make him super light, even though he's a bulky looking character. I got pinned down pretty good by one online today.

And yeaaah, I'd imagen they'd have to outweigh his advantages through weight alone, if they go with a more long ranged rayman that is. Range can be a big deal!

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace

I too always thought if Rayman were to make it into Smash that he'd be a lightweight character. I can't see him as a heavyweight one. Besides he seems small in his own games so it makes good sense for him to be a light character.

Last edited:

louie g

Smash Journeyman
@ PrettyIvyPearls22 PrettyIvyPearls22

I remember seeing that pic back when brawl was almost out, still having faith there was gonna be some ray action, it's funny how time can repeat itself, I swear, I have the same feeling for him today, brings back memories.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
@ PrettyIvyPearls22 PrettyIvyPearls22

I remember seeing that pic back when brawl was almost out, still having faith there was gonna be some ray action, it's funny how time can repeat itself, I swear, I have the same feeling for him today, brings back memories.
I know. I remembered seeing this picture only once when after Brawl came out. Megaman seemed like the only character to me from that picture to seem the most likely for the next Smash. At least during that time to me. Then E3 2013 came and Megaman got confirmed, after that Sonic got confirmed to come back in 2013 as well. Then speculation came to start and Rayman and Pacman looked as if they were some of the most possible third parties for Smash4 to show up. Once I heard that Namco was developing Smash 4 Pacman started to become even more likely. Then E3 2014 PacMan evevntually got confirmed. It was as if the stars were aligning.

Now that DLC is possible we want this picture to come even more real now. If you think about it this picture would be even more funny in hindsight if Rayman and Bomberman got confirmed as third party DLC characters for Smash 4. Now I really want this to come true.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Well, I'm back. My campaign ended on a low note today; I only managed to pass out 3 vote forms today. However, there's still a few people who I gave the vote forms to, but haven't gotten to voting yet, so the votes should keep coming.
Anyway, I could only make three vote forms last night as I had a ton of work. Sorry if I let you guys down.
As of right now, the total stands at 39 potential votes for Rayman.
Don't be down on yourself, that's still three more people.

I'm enjoying him rather well, he's not a main or secondary, but he's fun.

Also, after 10,000 years, I finally completed my letter, if it isn't too much to ask, could you give some critiques, stuff like grammar, what to add, what to remove, etc. I plan to send this to Nintendo of Japan. I will warn you, it is quite lengthy.

Hello,
My name is (censored for privacy). I have translated this letter to Japanese. At the time I'm writing this letter, the Smash Bros Ballot is open. While it's a great way to have the fans' voices heard, for my specific request, I feel 500 characters isn't enough. The character I'm requesting is already represented, is iconic, is relevant to Nintendo, and has a ton of moveset potential. The character I'm talking about is Ubisoft's Rayman.

Now Rayman is a third party character. According to Mr.Sakuari, third party characters have to be a special case, he won't just let any third party character join his game. I want to prove that Rayman is more than just another video game character and that he has fully earned the right to become a playable character.

First off, Rayman has something that a lot of third parties without a playable character don't have, trophies, three of them. With the exception of CommanderVideo, Rayman is the only third party franchise that's represented in the game, but not with a playable character. Ubisoft were also the ones who made the trophy models for you, showing they were excited to have Rayman as a trophy. If they were excited to have trophies, I can guarantee they'll be more than happy to have him playable. In fact, they've pretty much confirmed that.

A couple of months ago by the time I'm writing this letter, there was a fake Rayman leak. On Valentines Day of 2015, a picture of Rayman on the character select screen and a "join the battle" card were shown. Before it was revealed to be a fake, people were believing the leak. You couldn't blame them, the fake render of Rayman was very well made, and fit in with the rest of the character's renders perfectly. It was further believed to be true when a video was released that had Rayman being chosen on the character select screen.

During that time, it really blew up. Major gaming websites were writing articles about it, there seemed to be nothing wrong with the leak, no one could disprove it. Both Rayman and Smash were trending on Twitter all day, with people expressing their excitement for Rayman (I should also mention that Rayman was trending when his trophy was revealed). Lastly, Ubisoft announced they would talk about the leak on Tuesday. At that point, the stars seemed to align, people were excited that Rayman was in Smash.

That is until, the next day, when the leaker revealed himself. The leaker was an amazingly talented artist by the name of ArtsyOmni, he did everything. The "leaked" photos, the video, and the render of Rayman. The guy meant no harm, saying that he didn't think the leak would be that massive.

However, that didn't stop Rayman from being talked about. Even after it was confirmed fake, Rayman was still trending on Twitter that following day. People were talking about how disappointed they were that the leak was fake, not just from long time supporters, but from new supporters as well. If that doesn't show people want this character in, I don't know what does.

Rayman is an iconic character with a ton of history and fans. Debuting in 1995, Rayman put Ubisoft, one of the largest game companies in the world, on the map. He later became the company's mascot. Michel Ancel, the creator of Rayman, is recognized as one of the greatest game developers of all time. He was awarded the French Minister of Culture and Communication by Renaud Donnedieu de Vabres. Alongside Ancel was non other than Nintendo's own Shigeru Miyamoto. He was awarded for his accomlisphments in the game industry.

Rayman has seen over fifty plus games since his creation. His franchise has sold 25 million games, about 5 million behind Megaman, and that's not including the first three Raving Rabbids games. The Rayman series has also been critically accalmied for its fun gameplay, loveable characters, and great atmosphere. Rayman 2 is often seen on many "greatest games of all time" lists.

Rayman has become an icon in the video game industry. His creator is considered one of the best game designers, has had a lot of games, has sold almost as much as Megaman, and is loved by millions of people. Rayman certainly fits the legendary status the other third parties have.

Rayman has a role in Smash, he's also an icon in the industry, but why should he be in a Nintendo fighting game? What has he done for Nintendo? Rayman has a huge presence on Nintendo consoles, whether it's exclusives or just being on a Nintendo platform, Rayman has made his home on Nintendo.

With the exception of a couple educational and mobile games, every Rayman game has made its way to a Nintendo console. The first Rayman was ported to the GBC, GBA, and DSi. Rayman 2 was available on the N64, DS, and 3DS. Rayman Arena (also known as Rayman M) was released on the GCN. Rayman 3 was on the GCN and GBA, both versions also used the GameCube Link Cable. Hoodlums' Revenge was an exclusive game on the GBA. The first three Raving Rabbids games which feature Rayman were on the Wii and DS (the first game was also on the GBA). Rayman Origins was released on the Wii and 3DS. Lastly, not only is Rayman Legends on the Wii U, and that version is considered the definitive one, but Nintendo, yourselves, published the game in Japan. It's also worth noting that there are Mario and Luigi costumes in the Wii U version.

Rayman is definitely relevant to Nintendo. He has appeared on every Nintendo console since his creation, has a couple of exclusives under his belt, and his latest game features exclusive content on the Wii U version, as well as Nintendo publishing the game in Japan.

Rayman is wanted, has the legacy, and is relevant to Nintendo, but what can he bring to the table? After all, Mr. Sakuari wants newcomers to be unique. Fortunately, Rayman has enough moveset potential to be a very unique fighter.

Now, I won't list an entire moveset for him, as that would be doing Mr. Sakuari's job. I will however, provide some examples of how he could play and give a couple of possible moves. Visually, Rayman is unique due to his lack of limbs, he could use this to his advantage. Rayman, despite using melee attacks, could be a ranged fighter, he could shoot his hands from a far distance.

If you've played Rayman Origins and Legends, you'll see that you can rip out how he plays in those games and translate it to Smash perfectly. They could be the basis for his standard, normal, and tilt attacks. As for his specials, he could use moves from the first three games. He could shoot balls of energy like in Rayman 2, use the power-ups from Rayman 3, or bring out a plum which could bounce around and hit opponents.

Rayman could also be a very floaty and fast character, like in Origins and Legends. It would also give him potential weaknesses. Being a floaty character, he would be very easy to launch, his fast speed could make him avoid attacks very easily. However, if he gets caught, he will be helpless, and be given very little time to recover.

One of Rayman's signature moves is his helicopter hair, which he uses to slowly descend in his games. This could be incorporated into Smash. If you hold the jump button, Rayman would glide across the stage, it's sort of like Peach's glide, except he would slowly descend rather than float in the air.

Rayman has his moveset ready to go, it would be very easy to make one. He would be unique by being a ranged fighter that's floaty and fast. However, his floatiness makes him easy to launch, and is helpless when caught. Rayman would also glide with his helicopter hair as a special gimmick. Rayman would be a very unique addition to the Super Smash Bros roster.

It's quite clear that Rayman is a more than worthy third party character to join the Smash roster. He is already in Smash in the form of a trophy, is an icon, is relevant to Nintendo, and has a ton of moveset potential. Rayman fans want him, Smash fans want him, and Ubisoft wants him. Rayman is the best candidate for a DLC third party character.
Whew, that was hard!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Also, after 10,000 years, I finally completed my letter, if it isn't too much to ask, could you give some critiques, stuff like grammar, what to add, what to remove, etc. I plan to send this to Nintendo of Japan. I will warn you, it is quite lengthy.

Whew, that was hard!
Holy... I'm speechless...

I can't even add anything, this is just...

I can only hope this gets a proper (non-Google) translation and is actually read by someone at Nintendo.

AreJay25

@ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft
Honestly, the fact that you went through that much effort makes me hope that it actually gets some decent recognition from the higher ups. If that doesn't convince them to give Rayman a shot, I don't know what will.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
OPERATION RAYFALL.
I'm really feeling that! :4shulk:With all of this combined effort, we can change the future!

Actually @ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft , after reading over it again, I'd recommend swapping out any mentions of "floaty" with "light/light weight." It's mostly personal preference, but while Rayman is light, I think he'd have one of the fastest falls in the game (to help differentiate between falling and helicopter floating and because it'd feel closer to his own games). Floaty brings to mind Samus or Jigglypuff kind of drifting through the air... But it's your letter, and you didn't really focus much on gameplay design much anyway.

Everything else is completely high marks, great grammar and everything!

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Thank you for your kind words everyone, it was a pain writing it, but I loved the end result.
I'm really feeling that! :4shulk:With all of this combined effort, we can change the future!

Actually @ SegaNintendoUbisoft SegaNintendoUbisoft , after reading over it again, I'd recommend swapping out any mentions of "floaty" with "light/light weight." It's mostly personal preference, but while Rayman is light, I think he'd have one of the fastest falls in the game (to help differentiate between falling and helicopter floating and because it'd feel closer to his own games). Floaty brings to mind Samus or Jigglypuff kind of drifting through the air... But it's your letter, and you didn't really focus much on gameplay design much anyway.

Good point, just changed that.

As for when I get my letter translated, I don't have an official date just yet. Since I don't want to use Google translate, I'll have to use another source, one that's reliable. It may end up costing me a bit of money, but it will be worth it. I'll let you guys now when I finally send it.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104

Thanks. I thought of it as a joke, but after I had thought of it, it just...... stuck. That's the best name I could think of.
Oh, and I'm making a WHOLE new batch of vote forms for all of next week so I don't run into being understocked of papers.
How many? 41.
And I'm going to fill them all out this weekend.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
So, for Operation Rayfall, should we make art similar to what Operations Rainfall and Moonfall have done?

In other words, should we make a logo?

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
@ louie g louie g Thank you. It was kind of hard to get those curves just right. I have several more that I'm working on that I'll post them up once I've polish them up.

Finally, some activity going on here. I though that this was going to be another ghost thread.

AreJay25

@ louie g louie g Thank you. It was kind of hard to get those curves just right. I have several more that I'm working on that I'll post them up once I've polish them up.

Finally, some activity going on here. I though that this was going to be another ghost thread.
The Ryu/Roy thing sort of threw everyone for a loop.
Now that we've all accepted it, we can get back to what we were doing before.

Last edited:

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
The Ryu/Roy thing sort of threw everyone for a loop.
Now that we've all accepted it, we can get back to what we were doing before.

Even so, that doesn't mean I'll be buying either one of them.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I have a few ideas. I'll share:
  1. Rayman grabbing the Smash Ball.
  2. Rayman's body with the Smash symbol replacing the circle on his body.
  3. The Ubisoft logo with the Smash symbol replacing the eye in the logo.
Your suggestion give me the idea for this sketch:
Untitled-1.jpg

made out of boredom.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
I just played the first two levels of the game, and I'm loving it. It was worth the $10 :) . Rayman's attacks in that game can work as his tilts and aerials.

Rayman4Smash

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperAbachiBro
I have a few ideas. I'll share:
  1. Rayman grabbing the Smash Ball.
  2. Rayman's body with the Smash symbol replacing the circle on his body.
  3. The Ubisoft logo with the Smash symbol replacing the eye in the logo.
Since you mentioned it.....

I know I probably already posted this months ago, but I might as well mention it since I already drew this about a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom