• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Young Link
Chance: 5% - the least wanted veteran among seven.
Want: 0%

Jill
Chance: 0%
Want: 50%

Nominations: Corrin x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
YOUNG LINK
CHANCE: 12.12%
WANT: 23.63%

JILL VALENTINE
CHANCE: 2.13%
WANT: 19.88
It's official, Pichu is no longer the lowest rated veteran. Next up we're rating Mallo from Pushmo and Descole of the Professor Layton series. Also please predict what score the concepts of a more traditional Melee/Brawl style Classic mode and the somewhat terrifying concept of SSB5 having a decade long wait cycle will get tomorrow.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm just going to take care of this straight away since one of the characters I've been nominating for quite some time finally has his day today.

This will be a long post, but I HIGHLY encourage to read it anyway, especially if you didn't read the thread I linked to the day before.

Jean Descole

Chance: 5%

Though I might be a little too optimistic with the chance rating I gave him, I'll be the first to establish the key points everyone will discuss. Descole’s chances for a Smash Bros inclusion are really slim. For starters, he is a third party character, and when it comes to third parties, the characters that usually get in are the most iconic ones, such as Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man. Descole is nowhere near the celebrity status as those listed third party characters. Second of all, he practically has no ballot support at the moment, and we all know popularity is important to consider with the next batch of DLC characters.

What really hurts Descole's chances the most is that Professor Layton has the higher priority of getting into the roster compared to him. Professor Layton is the mascot and main hero of the Layton franchise, and we all know the mascot characters are the ones that got the automatic shoe-in when it comes to representing their respective video game franchises. He is also far more requested for a Smash Bros inclusion compared to Descole. More importantly, Professor Layton has yet to appear on the Smash Bros roster. Thus, if Descole were to join the Smash Bros roster, he would only do so after Professor Layton is included. Once Professor Layton is included, then there would be more support to add other Professor Layton characters on the roster compared to the support we have now. However, Professor Layton's chances are debatable, so depending on how likely you think Layton will join the roster, Descole still doesn't have much of a chance regardless. Simply put, It's definitely unlikely for Descole to join the roster over Professor Layton.

Now, it is important to keep in mind the possibility of two newcomers coming from a single third party company isn't completely impossible. Ryu's inclusion into Smash Bros proves this as he is the second Capcom rep. Thus, it has opened the doors for third party companies to include at least 2 reps from any of their games as well. Of course, it should also be noted that even though Ryu and Megaman are Capcom represents, they both represent different video game franchises entirely. Like I previously stated, the third party characters that are automatic shoe-ins are the ones that are the mascots/main protagonists of their respective video game company. The secondary protagonists and villains from that third party video game are nowhere as likely. However, if the secondary protagonist and villain is iconic such as Tails, Eggman, Dr. Wily, Zero, Ken, M.Bison, etc. it does give them some sort of chance, but Descole doesn't have the kind of celebrity status like those listed characters do.

Now, if we were to look at Descole simply as a third party character from Level 5 rather than another character from the Layton series (and likewise, if one were to look at Ryu simply as a third party character from Capcom rather than a representative of his own video game series), one can see why Ryu's inclusion have slightly opened the doors for Descole to a certain degree. Many will agree, however, that the Professor Layton series is one of those video game franchises that is good with one rep and that's it, and said people will also agree that Level 5 series as a whole should have only rep and that's it because it is nowhere near as famous as Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Namco are. If Level 5 were to get a second rep, the most likely candidate would be Jibanyan because it is the star-character of its own video game series, is becoming an iconic Level 5 rep (at least going off his status in Japan right now), and has far more support for a Smash Bros inclusion compared to Descole. This too also hurts Descole's chances.

But even with all of the issues Descole is facing, he does have several traits going for him that doesn't necessarily throw his chances entirely out of the window. Though a very slim possibility, there are a few facts that make a second Professor Layton rep somewhat possible, as I am one of those people that thinks Professor Layton already has a solid chance chance for a Smash Bros inclusion. For starters, Level 5 and Nintendo have a very good relationship with each other. Level 5 has been commonly producing its games for the Nintendo consoles since 2007, and more importantly, Nintendo is in charge of licensing the Level 5 games for the international audience. With the Professor Layton games being among them, all of the Professor Layton characters are Nintendo characters to a certain degree.

Another important point to consider is that the Professor Layton series have become one of Nintendo's flagship series in the portable gaming spectrum thanks to their tremendous success. Though sales for the 3DS games have not been strong as the DS ones, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask was the best selling 3DS launch title when the 3DS was first released in Japan, so it's a considerable sign of success as well. The Layton games also have a large female demographic, so the possibility of two Layton reps could be considered to bring more female gamers to Smash Bros and thus allowing Nintendo to make more money..

With all of that established, there are several other traits that Descole has going for him as well, if he were to be the second Layton rep.

1) Descole has appeared in a video game that was released on a Nintendo console.

This one is obvious. I believe that as long as the character appeared in a video game released on a Nintendo console, it already gives them a chance compared to a third party character who has only been appeared in Xbox/Playstation games. With Descole's case, he already appeared in three games that were playable on Nintendo consoles.

2) Descole has moveset potential that can make him unique.

Descole is a character that can actually fight. For starters, he is equipped with a sword and is a very capable fencer too, as demonstrated in Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (the Professor Layton movie) and Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy. However, there's more to him than that. He is also capable of hand-to-hand combat, as demonstrated in Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. While he did lose to another character capable of that in the same game, we still learned he was capable of unarmed combat to a certain degree; heck, he even had the strength to throw a young woman off his shoulders to the point she started rolling a really good distance and found herself on the edge of falling off a high point. Descole is shown to very agile in the games and the movie, pulling off parkour-like stunts quite often, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd be the kind of fighter who could use some aerial dropkicks and flip-kicks.

Throughout the series, Descole is also shown to be a brilliant inventor, capable of inventing various gadgets that has helped achieve his plans. In Smash Bros, he could use some original gadgets we haven't seen him use before in addition to archaeological digging machines (or at least the arms of those machines). Another interesting aspect to him is his ability to perfectly disguise as someone else. In Smash Bros, we have never really seen this concept to disguise as the opposing fighter. Sure we had Zelda and Sheik, but like I said, I'm talking about Descole temporarily transforming into another fighter like Mario, Bowser, Ike, Lucario, Villager, etc. While in-game transformations are no longer a thing, it would still make Descole very unique nonetheless if one of his moves could do that.

To further prove my point about Descole having a workable moveset, you can go to the Descole support thread I shared yesterday and you'll see I managed to create an interesting moveset for him. Personally, I can see Descole using a blend of sword-fighting, brawling, and weapon-use in his moveset. While Link already fills that sort of "fighting-style blend" already, very few of Link's attacks involve physical attacks, and Link uses different weapons from Descole. Descole, on the other hand, would be more balanced with all three fighting styles. When it comes to weapons, rather than using arrows, boomerangs, generic bombs, and grappling hooks, he would use more modern weapons like smoke bombs, parts from giant excavating diggers, mechanical ropes for tether recovery, etc. He could also use ancient weapons that could potentially shoot out lasers or magical energy to reflect his archaeological side. One way or the other, I'm sure Descole's moveset would stand out in some sort of way.

3) Descole is an important character from his home video game series, and he is fairly new for newer video gamers to recognize.

Although he may not be the main mascot of the video game franchise he comes from, Jean Descole is the main villain of the prequel trilogy of the Layton series, and he is also the main villain of the Professor Layton movie. That alone proves he is important to the series. Of course, one can also make the argument that Don Paolo fits a similar status as well, except he was the main villain of the original trilogy and thus could be considered a bit more iconic because many are more familiar with said trilogy, and he also fills the role of weapon-use and disguise as well as Descole does. However, Descole does have a few things going for him that Don Paolo doesn't have. Descole is much more of a one-on-one fighter compared to Don Paolo; that is, Descole can be better pictured as a Smash Bros fighter compared to Don Paolo.

Descole is also a newer video game character that newer players can recognize. Examples of characters that joined the roster due to recent releases include Greninja, Robin, and Lucina. While popularity may be another important aspect that they had going for them, it is important to understand Sakurai decided to add Greninja to the roster before Pokemon X/Y was released to the general public. For Sakurai back at 2012, he wanted to pick a Pokemon that would represent Kalos considering it will be the newest generation around by the time Smash Bros 4 was released, and after looking at concept art, he thought Greninja seemed to be the most fitting for Smash. Thus, Greninja joined Smash to represent the newly released Pokemon games. In the same light, Descole could fit well as the new trilogy rep, while Professor Layton would fit the role of the original trilogy rep (in addition to being the series mascot).

And for those who still aren't convinced Descole is important to the Professor Layton series, here's some official artwork I'm interested in sharing.

Notice how Descole is placed in the middle among all the villains present at the top. Interpret it how you want, but personally, his placement in the middle of the villains indicates his status as one of the main villains in the Layton universe and how recognizable he is for a newer Layton character.

4) Descole is a villain, and the Smash Bros roster could use some more villains.

Like I mentioned with the last point, Descole is a major villain from the video game franchise he hails from. The villain status is an important aspect when it comes to Smash. How so? It is one of the main reasons why characters like King K. Rool and Wolf are highly requested in the first place. I remember this was especially present back in the days leading up to Smash Bros WiiU's release where many smashers wanted to see more villain-representation on the Smash roster considering it is almost dominated by heroes, so that's why fans were clamoring for Mewtwo, Wolf, Ridley, and King K. Rool for Smash Bros. While we did end up getting some more villain representation thanks to Mewtwo's inclusion as DLC, it is agreeable that the Smash Bros roster could still use some more villains. While I will admit the Professor Layton series is nowhere as famous as the likes of Star Fox or the Donkey Kong franchises, being a villain is still a key reason to support a character's inclusion when the Smash Bros roster could use more of those.

Now remember, these four points, along with the brief points about the Layton franchise's success beforehand, I discussed are within the marginal advantages keeping from Descole's chances from reaching zero. The problems Descole faces still outweigh the advantages TREMENDOUSLY for reasons I already stated.

Want: 100%

With such a detailed explanation about Descole's chances, you should have seen this coming. Descole is one of my top 3 most wanted characters for Super Smash Bros 4 DLC. Although I personally believe potentially unique movesets, villain statuses, appearing in a Nintendo console, and being newer but still recognizable to a home video game series are reasons that a character can have some sort of chance for a Smash Bros inclusion, the four main points I previously discussed can fit under my want discussion as well. I think Descole fits Smash Bros really well considering what he is capable of when it comes to fighting as a sword-fighter, a brawler, a weapon-user, and an agile parkour dude. When it comes to Final Smashes, I can definitely see his Final Smash either being the Mecha Specter from Last Specter in order to fill the role of an "absolute destruction" attack, or the ability to disguise as an opposing fighter by transforming into one and briefly fighting as him/her for a brief period of time as a trick/surprise-style attack.

Even his design also fits Smash Bros really well. We really don't have a lot of characters that look mysterious. Descole, on the other hand, would fill that concept perfectly. In addition to acting as a very menacing villain, Smash players could look at Descole on the roster and think, "That costume of his makes him look really villainous and mysterious, like he's trying to hide some sort of secret.I like him!" Descole also has some great alternate costume potential thanks to his other alias, where Smash players could choose to play as that costume if he/she is dying to know how Descole looks like without the costume.

We also don't have a lot of tragic villains on the Smash roster. In fact, Mewtwo is probably the closest fighter we currently have to a tragic villain, but that's if you think that Mewtwo is the same one from the first Pokemon movie instead of a generic Mewtwo. I won't talk about what makes Descole a tragic villain right now, though if you really want to know, you can find it in the link I previously provided. With Descole's inclusion, we would have a bit more diversity when it comes to villains. Bowser, Ganondorf, and King Dedede would fill the roles of the generic bad guys (though King Dedede can be debatable thanks to the games it recently appeared in), Dark Pit and potentially Wolf would fill the roles of villainous rivals, and Mewtwo and Descole would be the tragic villains on the roster (Descole could also fill the role as a villainous rival as well).

In addition, who wouldn't want to hear some great music with Descole's inclusion? He's got an amazing theme! If you didn't listen to it before reading this post, I will provide it here for all of you to listen to. The one on the top is the Last Specter version, while the one on the bottom is the live version that has been used since Miracle Mask (and it's my personal favorite between the two). Believe me, I think it would be really cool if we got Descole's theme in Smash Bros.

Though Descole is one of my top 3 most wanted characters, Professor Layton still remains my most wanted newcomer for DLC for reasons I previously stated. As such, I won't be hurt if Descole doesn't make into the roster in the end because I already know things are looking grim for Descole. I'm sure many will argue Descole could have better chances as an Assist Trophy, a Stage Boss, or a Mii Costume. In fact, I'd be fine seeing Descole as any of those options as well, because seeing Descole represented in Smash Bros in some sort of way would still make me happy even if he doesn't end up becoming a fighter.

And now I will end my Descole discussion by saying this: We all have a character we want to see join the Smash Bros roster that sadly doesn't have much a chance, whether it'd be characters like Tetrimono, a Style Savvy rep, Jill Valentine, Adeline, Owain, a character that already appears as an Assist Trophy/Poke Ball/Stage Boss, and so many others. I want to take some time and acknowledge all those who nominated slim-chance characters for this thread in the past. Over the course of the past several weeks, I've noticed that many have used the RTC thread to discuss characters who didn't have much a chance but could still be interesting inclusions; for them, it was a chance to really voice why they were interested in such a character. Their especially detailed explanations about what the character offers depsite having the low chances proves this, and to me, it also gives them the chance to generate support for the character no matter the issues. Likewise, even though the odds are really against Descole, I still believe such a character is capable of getting support. It's because of these kinds of people I gradually became less hesitant in nominating the character you are seeing being rated today. That said, this paragraph is my way of giving a huge and happy thank-you to all these kinds of people.:)

And with that, let us move on to the next character.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mallo

He comes from a fairly recent video game series, so if a more modern rep were to be considered, he’d be likely. The Pushmo games are quite popular too. He could have an interesting moveset where he could push and pull blocks and maybe use some sumo-wrestling moves added to the mix (at least, going off his design). Unfortunately, he has the same issues as the Advance Wars reps face. That is, Intelligent Systems have been focusing more on Fire Emblem, the most successful video game franchise the company has worked on, when it comes to Smash Bros compared to the other games it has developed, not to mention it also has very minimal Smash Bros support.

Want: Abstain

I don’t know much about the Pushmo series aside from the gameplay and its popularity, so I can’t say whether or not i want to see Mallo be included.

Predictions:

Melee/Brawl style Classic Mode: 9.56%
Smash 4 having 10 year wait cycle: 6.23%

Nominations:

Gallade (Pokemon): x5

Last edited:
, Pichu is no longer the lowest rated veteran. .​
good. Pichu was definitely more likely from the start.

Jean descole-train
chance 0%
we dont even have Layton yet. If we manage to get a second level 5 characyer it would be jibanyan or even laytons sidekick

Want 0%
never played a layton game. Hemce why i cant temember the sidekicks name.

But such a minor 3rd party character seems silly to me.

Mallow
chance 0%
we arent getting geno lwt alone this frog cloud cauliflower. . .whats that? Wrong mallo?

Real chance
4%
a nice little character that happens to be obscure. May fall under the non-combatant category

Want 35%
ive only played a little bit of stretchmo but the game is fun and thee is probably a really cool possible moveset.

A pushmo stage however would be fantastic

Predictions
7% for both

Noms
iwata tribute 2
Next smash has new director 3

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm just gonna abstain from both of these guys due to my unfamiliarity and laziness to familiarize myself....

----

Predictions:
Concept: Melee/Brawl Style Classic Mode: 8.7%
This one may have some optimistic votes but I don't think Sakurai will change the current classic mode...

Concept: Smash 5 Has a 10 year wait cycle: 23.4%
Well I hope not but if it does happen I don't think it'll be that long, because I think even the NX will have been passed over for another system by then...

----

Nominations:
Concept: DLC Adventure Mode x3
Concept: New Metroid Prime Stage x2

D

Deleted member

Jean Descole

Layton first.

Mallo

Predictions:

Melee/Brawl-Style Classic Mode - 5%

Smash 5 has a 10-Year Wait Cycle - 5%

Nomination: Unpopular DLC Character x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Jean Descole

Chance - 0% - Well, we don't even have anything from Level-5 at the moment. Layton is clearly first, and I think after that I think they would rather focus on having other series being implemented. Even if Layton was to get a second character, chances are they would pick a side-kick to Layton, like Luke, and not an antagonist. I just can't see him coming in.

Want - 49.5% - Nothing against him, but I'm of the protagonist and mascot first mentality.

Mallo

Chance - 1.4% - Okayish, I guess. He's not represented at all, which is a double edged sword, but otherwise as a fairly recent sereis he does OK. While there are older folks who are more famous, he's still kinda popular. He's got a good shot, but not a great one.

Want - 50.5% - Vaguely interesting, but not something I'm actually interested in.

Predictions

Melee Style Classic Mode - 3.45% - Okay, this should be interesting.

10 Year Wait Cycle - 22.94% - Well, we should wait until the NXT comes before saying anything certain here.

Nominations

Secondary Ballot X5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...I was going to write a decent analysis of both characters, but...

For both characters, see what I wrote yesterday - Sums it up pretty accurately.
Another 3rd-Party
Chance: 1%
You know what - I'll just make a blanket third-party statement: There are too many requested first-party characters who deserve it more. And don't come with politics. No thanks.
Third parties in Smash should be only very special circumstances.
Besides, in light of recent events, intercompany dynamics may be a bit difficult for a while...

EDIT: Oops, wrong Mallo...thanks @ Sid-cada Sid-cada
It is a Nintendo IP, and a shiny new popular one at that. Having said that, he's still not hugely requested. Sakurai wants to give us fanservice, and I've yet to even see him ranking in a poll. Also, it's Intelligent Systems second (?) party, and they've got a different series they've pushed ad nauseam.
Too many characters who are WAY more requested.​

Very excited for concept day tomorrow!

Legit Classic mode: 12.5%
10 year wait: 25.0%

Nom: Ghirahim x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Double 0 for the other layton guy
Why would someone get in before layton? And I already think Geno has no chance, of coarse Mallow would be the same.

oops wrong mallow

Mallo:
Chance 9%
Not a particulay big character but he is the star of one of Nintendo's more recent ips.
Want: 20%
Sure, I'm up for it

@KingBro1 thanks for correcting me, the other guy confused me since i usually look at someone elses post to remind me who we're rating.

Prediction
Melee styled classic 4%
10 year wait cycle 8.57%

Nominate Iwata tribute x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Mallow

Chance - 0% - Well, I was going to rate him lower than Geno due to not having as much popularity, but I gave Geno a zero alreay...

Want - 10% - Same want, same reasons to Geno.
And I already think Geno has no chance, of coarse Mallow would be the same.
We're rating Mallo from the Pushmo series, not the Square Enix-owned Mallow from Super Mario RPG. I was confused at first too.

D

Deleted member

Mallo
Chance:4%
*instert stuff about low ballot support and lack of reconogtition here*
Want:10%
Just because of the i know someone would want him,and new franchises getting a Fighter is good thing on my book.
--------------------

Mr.third party character getting before the main protagonist.
Chance and Want:
%(this is the first thing that i gave a 0% in chance,by the way)
I don't think we're gonna get a character who's NOT the protagonist before, you know, THE MAIN PROTAGONIST.
ESPECIALLY if it is a 3rd party character.
I feel that putting him in the game in this specific situation (Layton is not the game,Third parties are limited, Level 5 seems to have a new kid on the block under the name of jibanyan, etc) would be a very bad choice in my eyes.
------------------------

Not predicting today, just nominating.
------------------------
Balloon Fighter:X5

Last edited by a moderator:

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Jean Descole
Chance - 1% Layton first
Want - 1%

Mallo
Chance 10%
Want - 10%

Melee style classic - 7%
Smash 5 has 10 year wait cycle - 19%

Nominations - Serperior x 5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
We're rating Mallo from the Pushmo series, not the Square Enix-owned Mallow from Super Mario RPG. I was confused at first too.
Oops, I even based my predictions on that before. Stupid brain fart...

Fixing...

@ CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica , you probably want to change that too.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Excuse me while I stumble through analyzing a couple characters I only know so much about...

--

Jean Descole

Chance: 0.2%
Look, I won't cut corners here, since I know this wasn't nominated to gauge his Chance. When it comes to third party series, it's safe to say their main character and face of their franchise will always come first. We can't talk about any Layton character while Layton himself isn't in, and even he has his work cut out for him. Beyond that, we've yet to see any third party series get multiple characters, and it certainly doesn't seem like Professor Layton would be the first, especially when Level-5 has potential characters from other series.

That said, I understand that wasn't why you nominated him, @ Erureido Erureido . You knew all of this already. Devoting so many days' worth of nominations toward a character you know won't measure up well is a sacrifice of its own kind, so I have to give you credit for being willing to go through with it.

Unfortunately, I haven't yet played any of the series and I don't know enough to help your actual purpose.

Mallo

The star of the Pushmo puzzle games, not the cloud person who thinks he's a tadpole. Pushmo has been a pretty solid success, from what I've heard, at least enough for a couple sequels that have themselves done decently well. Could that warrant Mallo being playable in Smash? If the support was there...potentially.

Thing is...the support hasn't been there, from what I've seen. It's...pretty low, not nearly enough to make a difference in the Smash Ballot. For now, it seems he'll be limited to the trophy he already has.

I think this is the first time we've covered characters from two series where I haven't played either of them. This is...kind of embarrassing, to be honest.

Prediction for the Concept of a New "Traditional" Classic Mode: 6.25%
The fact that we haven't seen any hint of it (and the only thing resembling it turned out to be a hoax) will keep this one from being very high.

Prediction for the Concept of Smash 4 Having a 10 Year Wait Cycle: 8.75%
Another shot in the dark, but I bet wishful thinking will keep this one low as well. (Try saying that five times fast.)

Nominations:
*needle scratch*
And congratulations to @ Delzethin Delzethin for becoming the second person to get a perfect prediction! Your Jill Valentine prediction was exact, so you get ten extra nominations.
Wait, what!?

Uh...wow. I think...actually, I'll hold onto those for the time being.

Delphox x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I will skip this rating. I don't know that Rate give.

Predictions: Concepts

Melee Style Classic Mode: 9%
Smash 5 has 10 years wait cycle: 19%

Nominations:

Rera..

Wait!... I have the extras!

Rerate!Micaiah x10

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
@ Troykv Troykv , @ NintenRob NintenRob , and @ Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma all win for Young Link's rerate.

And congratulations to @ Delzethin Delzethin for becoming the second person to get a perfect prediction! Your Jill Valentine prediction was exact, so you get ten extra nominations.

YEEESSSSS YESS YESSSS I WON I WON I WON IW ONW WONW INWONW IWONW WIONW IWONW

I change my Iwata tribut nomination from 5 to 10.

I can't believe I won, and its from predicting the score of the protagonist from one of my favourite games of all time.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Jean Descole

So having a villain over the main hero who's a third party? No, not happening and it never will. While I do love the Professor Layton games, having the man by himself is good enough since I doubt it would feel right.

Mallo
Chance 10%
Want - 15%

First party franchise with little to no support from actually an underrated franchise. So Mallo's going to have a rough time if he;s going to stand out given he's from a puzzle game that revolves around pushing and pulling. I wouldn't mind his inclusion, but there are plenty of other new series reps I'd have before him.

Melee style classic - 7%
Smash 5 has 10 year wait cycle - 19%

Nominations - Corrin x 5

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
Both characters want and chance: 0% - Need I say more?

Predictions -
Melee style Classic Mode: 20%
Sm5sh has 10 year wait cycle: 30% (8 at most)

Nominations -
Concept: DLC in memory of Iwata x3
Captain Syrup x2

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Mallo:
Chance: 25%

Mallo is a first party character who is not an assist trophy. His series is a pretty popular one as well so I can see him getting in Smash.
Want: 80%
I've played 2 of Mallo's games and they were really fun so I like the idea of Mallo in Smash. His design is awesome but I can't really think of a potential moveset for him.

Descole:

Layton isn't even in the game, why would we get the villain before the main character and protagonist. That's like getting Bowser before Mario in Smash.
Never played a Layton game so I have no interest in this character being playable.

Predictions:
"Classic" Classic Mode: 10%
5mash having a 10 year wait cycle: 45%

Nominations:
Iwata Trophy 3x
Samurai Goroh 2x

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Jean Descole

Chance: 1%
I pity anybody who wants a Layton character who isn't Layton himself. When it comes to these secondary characters, I've noticed that their fans have been relying on the assumption that they'd probably have a chance at making it in if the main protagonist made it in despite the lack of ballot support. But this isn't the case at all. The only way that this could ever happen is if the character in question were just as popular( or more so) than the main character and as it stands, Jean isn't anywhere near as popular as his Nemesis( as far as the ballot is concerned).

Damn-it, that's one passionate all of text you've got there @Erureido( on both this thread and the one you made). It's convinced me to want him( to a certain degree) at the very least, but as it stands I still want Hades to be the next villain to make it in the roster.

Mallo

Chance: 30%
Surprisingly, fans wanted him in the game during its development . It's hard to determine where he stands as far as the ballot though. At least he's 1st party.

Want: 3%
Nah...

Nominations:
New Mii fighter class( Mii Lancer, Mii Dual wielder) x3
Chrom costume change for Roy x2

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Mallo chances: 3.4%
If Dillon as an Assist Trophy means anything, eShop characters are probably not going to be playable. I suppose his series is fairly popular, but I kinda doubt it is highly influent on Nintendo as a whole.

Mallo want: abstain
No idea what to think about him.

-----

Jean Descole chances: 0.01%
While Descole doesn't screem "impossible" to me compared to the likes of Sora or Conker, he's still a character will a minuscule and, in all honesty, negligible chance to join the roster. There are just so many unprecedented things to consider when judging Descole's chances; the Professor Layton series has yet to be represented in Smash (and we're definitely not getting Descole over Layton), we are yet to be proven that a single third-party series can get more than one character (we still don't have Tails or Dr. Eggman, that's saying something), and Descole himself I doubt is iconic enough as a third-party villain to be considered Smash material. While Layton and his series I think are famous and influent enough on Nintendo to not feel like unhealthy additions to Smash (though I'd argue they miss the "timeless" factor the other playable third-party characters have in SSB4), I really doubt Descole is as famous as the likes of Eggman or Willy, and those have yet to be playable in Smash.

Jean Descole want: 0%
Not hating on the idea (at least he doesn't have a vocal and annoying fanbase I'd say), but this pic pretty much sums up my reaction if he got in it:

I understand he may have moveset potential, and having more antagonists in the roster is generally nice, but Descole from the Professor Layton series? Sorry, it just sounds so random. I knew the Professor Layton series since a long time ago, but I had no idea who this guy was until he was nominated. Besides, a such character getting in Smash would mean that the series would fully embrace third-parties in the roster just like it embraces its first-parties series, and this is something I'd rather not see to be honest.

-----

Revamped Classic mode prediction: 3.04%
It will not do well in chances, but will likely do much better in want.

Smash 5 not coming before 10 years from now prediction: 14.05%
With all the sheer contents we have in SSB4 as well as even more contents with DLCs, I have a feeling some pessimistic people will give this concept a somewhat high chances score.

Nominating:
Concept: DLC adventure mode x2
Concept: unpopular DLC character x2
(Rerate) Playable newcomer: Rayman x1

@Captain Hotcakes we're rating the 10-year long cycle for Smash 5 tomorrow ;)

Edit: just noticed that there was a random ponytail at the bottom of the famous "wat lady" pic. My reaction to this:

Last edited:
Jean Descole
Chance and Want: DOUBLE ZEROES

Mallo
Chance: 3%
Want: 1%

Revamped Classic mode prediction: 4%

Smash 5 has 10 year wait cycle prediction: 21%

Nominations: Agumon 10x

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Abstaining from voting, done voting ucharacters i don't have a good idea upon

Real Classic mode prediction : 10.67%

Next Smash will take ages : 3.23%

Noms Gallade x5

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Jean descole chance %0
why would he have a chance? nintendo didnt run out of ideas

want %0
really?

Mallow chances...

oh the wrong person...

Mallow chances 5%
he is just some eshop character and not very special in nintendo history he wont be high on the ballout and i am sure also he is not a money maker and sakurai wants to put "fan service" characters as DLC Mallo wont be a good choice there is only few people who care about him.

Mallo wants 0%
he is ugly and he is not the real "Mallow" that i would like to have in smash he doesnt interest me at all.

nomaination:
Alex kidd x5
Nester x5
Donkey kong jr. x5

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Jean Descole
Even if Layton gets in and even if he brings another one from his series.

It's Luke Triton.

Y'know, the dude that's been the Pit to Layton's Palutena (Must. Resist. Visualising) for over two trilogies.

I like the Layton series, but can we get Layton as the puzzle-character and Luke to summon hamsters, make new kinds of teas and whatever mini-games there are further.

Or the Hamster as the stand-alone character.

Mallo
Three games, main protagonist and interesting mechanics
But he just doesn't stand out

Want: 80%
It's like pulling a prank and watching the internet crash.
Saying he has no actual moveset potential is pushing it though, but his low iconicness
would make it fall flat.
His block gimmick opens up a new world of puzzling possibilites as he could block opponent's approach with blox.

The Rayman-effect: 5.14%
It's over 9000: 6.14%

Nabbit x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I suppose the "over 9000" refers to the 10 year wait cycle for SSB5 but I don't get what you mean with "Rayman effect" with either of the concepts we're rating tomorrow... just asking.
Something being deemed likely because of a fake leak.
Referring to the 64 Classic mode concept and Artsy Omni's Rayman "leak"

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Descole

Chances: 1%

What we have here is a situation that will inevitably resurface some time later: suggesting a third party that is not the main character of said third party franchise. It's like suggesting the Masked Lumen over Bayonneta or Admiral Razorbeard over Rayman.
As Assist Trophies? Sure. But in the playable spot? No way.

Layton first.

Mallo: Double abstain.

re: no idea

Predictions:

Revamped Classic: 4%

Smash 5 has 10 year wait cycle: 25%

Nominate: Delphox x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Jean Descole: DOUBLE ZEROES

So here we have a third party character that is from a series not yet represented and is not the main character. Yeah. Even if Layton got in he'd be really lucky if he got to bring someone along with him, and even then it would most likely be Luke Triton. It's not happening.

Sorry to his fans, but his inclusion would just strike me as really random, so I don't want him either.

Mallo's chances: 5%

A recent and fairly popular IP with several games already under its belt. Unfortunately for Mallo, I don't think he's quite popular enough to make it in as DLC, but if his support grows and his series keeps going, he might have a shot in a later game.

Want: 70%

Despite having yet to play a game in his series, I think this could be an interesting inclusion.

Classic change-up prediction: 5.38%
Smash 5 takes forever predction: 17.43%

Nominations: Corrin x5

D

Deleted member

It's my birthday and I've done other things so no elaboration today
Happy birthday! :D

The Directory has been updated.

Mallo
Chance:
1%

Pushmo is a series that is pretty popular on the eShop, but that doesn't translate into requests.
Could be interesting.

Descole
Chance and Want:
Double Zeroes

This is impossible in my eyes. You can't have the villain before the main character. That would be like putting in Eggman and Wily before Sonic and Mega Man... it doesn't work.

I don't want him either, both because of a lack of a connection and the fact that it's kind of a random choice.

Real Classic Mode Prediction: 6.12%
Doubtful that they will add any new modes.
Smash 5 Takes 10 Years Prediction: 19.83%
Sadly realistic.

Nominations: Corrin 5x

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Mallo
Chance: 23%
He has similar chances to Geno but doesn't have his popularity so Geno edges him out. I rather have both as a tag team mechanic so they can bring them both in but oh well.

That's surprising, huh. I like Mallo more than Geno and prefer him back when I played Mario RPG.

Nominations:
Starman(NES Wrestling) x5
Isa x5

Mallo
Chance: 23%
He has similar chances to Geno but doesn't have his popularity so Geno edges him out. I rather have both as a tag team mechanic so they can bring them both in but oh well.

That's surprising, huh. I like Mallo more than Geno and prefer him back when I played Mario RPG.

Nominations:
Starman(NES Wrestling) x5
Isa x5
You're rating wrong character. We're rating Mallo from Pushmo, not Mallow from Super Mario RPG.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You're rating wrong character. We're rating Mallo from Pushmo, not Mallow from Super Mario RPG.
Goddamn it. This why characters with same names should be shown. Doesn't matter if a letter is missing but screw it

Other Mallo
Chance:30%
Want:20%

Laniv

Smash Champion
Jean Descole:

It's been repeated many times already: Layton first.

Want: 2%
I'd take Jibanyan first.

Mallo:

This is Mallo:

Chance: 6%
He's got... uh... a potential grappling moveset! That could work.

Want: 40%
If I had to pick an eShop character, it'd be Dillon, but...

Prediction for Classic Mode changing: 24% Want, 19% Chance
Prediction for Smash 5 takes 10 years: 45% Chance, 20% Want

Nominate Isabelle x 5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Mallo Chance:
7.5%
Probably one of very few eShop franchises that has garnered far more popularity than Dillon, enough to get a release on the Wii U. We had Pushmo, Crashmo, Pushmo World, and Stretchmo. All of those title were pretty successful. The main problems he has with his inclusion is that his franchise has not gain much prominence to Nintendo as a franchise like Xenoblade or Mother. He really lacks moveset potential, all he does in the game is push and pull blocks, there's not much you can pull for a creative moveset there.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Descole's Chance: 0%
With limited DLC spots left, it's pretty much impossible to get two characters from the same debuting series. To include him, we'd have to first include Layton. Factor in the negligible fan support and this guy would get the AT treatment at best.

Descole's Want: 0%
Don't know him, don't want him. I would love to have a St. Mystre stage though.

----------

Mallo's Chance: 30%
The Pushmo series has been pretty successful, so he isn't out of the question. Again, low fan support hurts his chance though.

Mallo's Want: 20%
I'd rather he be the main element of a Pushmo stage in which he pulls and pushes the shapes of a puzzle to create platforms.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Descole
Double Zeroes

Mallo
Chance: 3%
Want: 10%

Classic Classic Mode Prediction: 10%
Smash 5 has 10 year wait Prediction: 4%

Nominations:
Bandana Dee x5

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Descole:
Want: 1%
He is cool, but he is not Layton... It would be like having Cutman instead of Megaman...

Mallo
Chance: 7%
Want: 60%
Don't underestimate this guy, maybe we wold main him in the next smash...if only Sakurai and Inteligent systems remember that they have more IPs than Fire Emblem ... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pred:
Classic mode: 10%
Smash will come back when I complete a post doctorate: 3%

Noms...
Um.... Terra from Final FantasyVI x5

Top Bottom