• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Technically speaking, the 3DS version of the Classic mode is quite close to the Melee and Brawl ones, I'd say, except for the life cap at 2 per battle.

:231:

Last edited:
Melee/Brawl style Classic Mode
Chance: 1%
Want: 10%

10 year wait
Chance: 40%
Want: 0%

Dr. Eggman prediction: 6%

Adventure Mode prediction: 8%

Nominations: Agumon 5x

D

Deleted member

10+ year wait

I think a lot of people are underestimating the possibility of this being a reality.

The two main "fathers"behind Super Smash Bros.'s existence are Satoru Iwata and Masahiro Sakurai. Without both of these, Super Smash Bros. would not exist. Well Iwata is now dead and he was involved from the very beginning until he went to his early grave (remember he was the one to suggest the Fighter Ballot to Sakurai). As for Sakurai, a combination of Super Smash Bros. being stressful for him, his persistent hesitation to make sequels to Smash games (Melee and Brawl were only done because of the fans because Iwata trusted no one but Sakurai to make a Smash game), and having a very strong relationship with Iwata (to the point of considering him his greatest leader he's ever had) makes me think he's going to stop working on Super Smash Bros. after this game. This is the same man who left HAL back in 2003 and I get the feeling he only stayed to make Nintendo games because Iwata is around. With that no longer being the case, Sakurai may no longer want to continue working with Nintendo.

Now Nintendo has to ask themselves this question; who is going to take over the series once Sakurai likely leaves? Like I said before, Iwata trusted no one but Sakurai to make the next Smash game and it's likely top officials at Nintendo share similar mentality. To make a Smash game, they face a dilemma. Make them more often or with little changes and it runs the very significant risk of consumer apathy. If the changes are too drastic for fans, it risk alienating a significant portion of fans as well, especially if the next game comes relatively quickly. To prevent this from happening, they need a director as talented as Sakurai is that is willing to make noticeable changes but not so dramatic that it alienate numerous fans.

Not only that, the main selling point of Super Smash Bros. is none other than the characters. If this had been a cross-over of any other fictional universe or containing only original characters (it was actually originally created with only original characters), I guaranteed that it would have sold a lot, LOT less than it has so far. Nintendo has some of the most recognizable faces in video game and pop culture history and it's been able to sell on that point for so long, even in spite of introducing much more obscure choices to the roster. But the well is drying up and realistically speaking, there isn't much left that is going to generate a lot of hype. When it comes to important Nintendo characters, the only major omissions left are Toad, King K. Rool, Ridley, and arguably Dixie Kong. Thing is, Ridley will probably never be playable, Toad depends on the whim of whoever gets to become director, and one of King K. Rool/Dixie Kong is very likely going to be DLC so that might leave just one major omission left to add. That's... not saying a lot, especially when the only character I feel could reach similar heights in importance and/or demand are the Inklings... and as a franchise they have a lot of growing to do to get to that point (and of course we'll always get our token Pokémon newcomer because reasons). Characters like Bandanna Dee, Waluigi, and Samurai Goroh are nice and all but they are very expendable. Even third-parties face marginal diminishing utility. I feel as the only legendary third-party characters left are Slime and Bomberman but the problem is that they will likely never get in and I fail to see how anyone else makes a good choice (yes this does include Rayman). Barring maybe Snake, I think Smash will be permanently finished with third-parties unless Nintendo significantly improves their third-party relationships (and that's an understatement). So with a Smash 5's roster that is mostly filled with obscure characters, that's going to cut down on sales potential especially if cuts are going to be considerably more severe than Smash 4's was (which was worse than Brawl's).

Putting Smash on a long hiatus almost seems necessary. It will give a lot more time for new IPs to come up and shape Nintendo and the video game industry, the fan base will be a lot more receptive to changes in regards to the game play (so Nintendo will be able to make noticeable changes without totally altering the game play), and it won't feeling like the franchise is being milked of all of its sales potentials. I actually do think there will be a Smash on NX, but it won't be a proper Smash game; it'll just be Smash 3DS & Wii U+ with all features from both versions and maybe planned content that were cut due to time constraints and technical issues that caused problems while the game was originally made (so the Ice Climbers might be able to come back for example). I give this a 75% of likelihood. We'll get a new game barring something terrible happening to Nintendo, but the wait will be a long one.

Want:

By the time I expect a new Smash to hit, I'll be in my 30s. Virtually nothing will get me a new proper Smash at this point as I am satisfied with the previous iterations. Far as I am concerned, Smash has already ended so I wouldn't care if we never got a new game. That said, I don't want the game milked into oblivion, ruined, and/or face an untimely death like certain other favorite franchises of mine.

25% in want. I likely won't buy it but at least it'll probably be something great for fans who do look forward to another game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
10 Year Wait for Next Smash:
Chance and Want: Abstain

How in the world would I know what to expect or want in 10 years?

Melee/Brawl Style Classic Mode:
Chance:
0%
There are many, many things we would see as DLC before a new mode sharing the name of one we have now. DLC Modes will probably be simple gimmick modes like Tournament Mode (although the one we're getting seems to be the most extensive one).

Want: If Melee, 100%. If Brawl, 0%. If In-Between, 50%.

Reasoning: Melee's Classic Mode is a short and sweet arcade romp with fun minigames. Runs through it take 6 minutes on average, and it was really fun.
Brawl's was sluggish and dragged on for way too long. Especially wish loading times. Not as bad as Wii U's, but I have no interest in it.
If it's a mix of the two, I just won't really care honestly.

---
Nominations: Excitebike x5

D

Deleted member

Nomination
Nester x5
Alex Kidd x5
Donkey kong jr. X5
Just to help you out, the nominations part works like this :

You can give 5 points only, but if Smasher 101 gives you "extra nominations" you have 10 points and therefore can spend 5 on 2 characters or 10 on one character. You win extra nominations by getting your predictions near the ending score ( for example this day, you predict the score of Eggman and a concept : DLC Adventure mode )

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Just to help you out, the nominations part works like this :

You can give 5 points only, but if Smasher 101 gives you "extra nominations" you have 10 points and therefore can spend 5 on 2 characters or 10 on one character. You win extra nominations by getting your predictions near the ending score ( for example this day, you predict the score of Eggman and a concept : DLC Adventure mode )
Thanks for telling me

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Good Classic Mode as DLC
33% Chance
100% Want

SSB5 10 year wait
0.000000000001% Chance
NX
0% Want

Nominating Baloon Fighter x 5

Classic classic mode
Chance 0%
we already have clasic mode. Why the hell would they add another? That is a HUGE amount of dev time. . .

want 70%
nostalgia!

Break the targets would be so much more fun as an individual mode though :/ melee break the targets was the best :(

Abstain on dev cycle
I know far too little on how game design works to give a rating

eggman 10%
adventure mode 3%

noms
iwata tribute 2
next smash has new director 3

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.

Classic Classic Mode
Chance:
0%

I doubt that they would make a new mode like this, especially if the developers are content with the Wii U's version of Classic Mode being, well, Classic Mode. The 3DS version is also closer to the ones from previous editions, just more to it.
Want: 100%
You know what made me sad? Someone making a fake leak of a 64 styled Classic Mode, with you fighting the Fighting Polygon Team and Metal Mario. I knew it was fake, but I wanted it to be real!!! Imagine how awesome that would be?
I also like Melee's Classic Mode because of the fun mini games and the 3DS Classic Mode because of the multiple paths and the mode was quick to do.
Brawl's Classic Mode took an eternity to do and it only had one mini game (and they made that lifeless and boring).
I hated Wii U's Classic Mode because it's not Classic Mode! It's just you fighting in a bunch of 8-Player Smashes!
If anything, please don't make me fight on big stages like Temple, Palutena's Temple, and The Great Cave Offensive. Fighting on big stages like that in Melee and Brawl made me suffer.

10 Year Wait Until SSB5
Chance:
Abstain

I don't want to speculate on a game that isn't even out yet. Let's be happy with what we have now.
...But I don't want this. In 10 years, I will be 31. I rather the next game will come out within the next 10 years.

Eggman Prediction: 5.81%
Another Sonic character? Hmm...
Adventure Mode Prediction: 4.29%
Doubtful.

Nominations: Corrin 5x

Drason

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Coke
Melee Classic mode
Chance: 10%
Want:50%
Brawl Classic mode
Chance: 2%
10 year Wait
Chance: 20%
When the NX comes out it will still support the Wii U so, its not technically next-gen
Want: 5%
Nominations:
TalimX4(SoulCalibur
Silver(Sonic Series)

Laniv

Smash Champion
Classic Classic Mode:

Considering we already have one, I doubt it.

Want: 82%
I miss Break the Targets...

10-Year Wait for next Smash:
Chance and Want: Abstain

Prediction for Eggman: 6% Chance, 70% Want
Prediction for Adventure Mode: 8% Chance, 76% Want

Nominate Isabelle x 5

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Melee brawl classic style
Chance 1%
Want 20%

While I may not mind a linear-based pathway, smash 4's new twists really freshens up the power of choice while still making the battles random, short and sweet.

Smash 5 has a 10 year wait cycle
Chance 50%
Want 50%

While I generally do not play smash extensively as others, I do follow the development history of Smash 4 and previous iterations that I can suspect two things happeing:

Scenario 1 - Smash 4 Wii U's version will be upgraded to combine some features from Wii U and 3DS and may add in a few new additions. Some cut and new content might make it in the NX version, but it would have to be a different edition like "Super Smash Bros for NX: Championship Edition". However, that might scream controversey as "milking the franchise" as well as not bringing in new features or experiences. That alone might justify the rule of one smash per console, making the "real smash 5" being in the next console

Scenario 2 - Smash 5 would be a brand new experience, like the last iterations, still within the 5 year console cycle.

I nominated that concept all the way because I was originally anticipating Smash 5 being released on its 25th anniversary, but it may be possible to have smash 5 be released on its 20th anniversary instead.

Predictions:

Eggman - 6%
Adventure mode - 5%

Nomination - Serperior x 5

D

Deleted member

Older-Classic Mode:
Chance:5%
It's unlikely we are gonna get something like this.

Want:35%
But i wouldn't mind seeing it happening.
I have some issues with Sm4sh's version of Classic Mode:
-first off, i miss board the platforms, race to the finish and break the targets (it was much better than the Angry Birds wannabe we have now)
-I ABSOLUTLEY DESPISE THE FACT THAT WHEN YOU LOSE, THE GAME LOWERS THE DIFFICULTY.
-i also don't like the fact that you can't change the live counter and (in the Wii U version) the unnecesary 8-player smash implementation in this mode. (i like 8-player smash, but do we really needed it in Classic Mode?)

Im sure there are other problems, but that's all i can think off.
-------------------------
10-year wait cycle:
Chance:Abstain.
I have my reasons to believe that some people are overestimating and/or underestimating this possibility, but in all fairness this is something that i prefer to abstain in chance since i am not sure.

Want:0%
But i am sure as hell that i don't want to see this happen,i'll be over 20 years old. The longest wait has been 7-8 years during the transition from Melee to Brawl, a 6-7 year wait cycle seems better to me.
--------------------------
Predictions:
Dr.Eggman (remember when he was Called Dr.Robotnik?):3.23%
Adventure mode:2.12%
im looking foward to tomorrow.
--------------------------
Nominations:Tetris stage X3

Balloon Fighter X2

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
THE CLASSIC MODE WE WANT:
CHANCE: 0%
This is really something out of the question, as developing a whole new mode for a game that has already been out for 9 months, on top of being unplanned unlike the Tournament Mode. So a zero.

WANT: 50%
As I said earlier, the 3DS version's Classic mode is close-ish to the older versions. I don't have the Wii U version, so it doesn't really concern me.​

Abstaining from the 10 year cycle.
We know too little to make a proper prediction, imo.

:231:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Old Classic Mode: 0.5%

I really don't see why they would want to do this.

They were fun and all, but I'm honestly fine with both Classics, and I would much rather have the mode keep getting changes rather than reusing one of the old styles.

10 Year Wait's chances: ABSTAIN

A little too long for me.

Dr. Eggman prediction: 7.28%
Adventure mode prediction: 3.28%

Nominations: Corrin x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Actual Classic Mode
Chance: 5%
Doubtful that Sakurai would spend valuable time doing something like this.

Want: 85%
...That said, I really wish he would.

10 Years to Smash 5
Chance: 50%
I could see this going either way, unfortunately. With Iwata gone, Sakurai has no one to motivate him to make a new Smash game. I'm sure Nintendo won't let the series die out, it makes far too much money for that, but it could take a long time to find a new director.

Who would want this? If they wanted this, why are they even on Smashboards in the first place?

Predictions:
Eggman: 5%
Adventure Mode: 45%

Nominations:
Ultimate Ghost x3
Balloon Fighter x2

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Melee/Brawl Style Classic Mode
Chance: 15%
If the developers are looking to add a whole mode to the game via DLC, I could see this being an option. That's not saying much though. Seems like way more work than it's worth at this point. I'll give this classic concept a rating of 15%.
I'm not really feeling this concept...

It might be cool, but I would much rather the extra work go into creating new characters entirely.

10 Year Wait Until SSB5
Chance: 32%
All things considered, I could actually see this happening. With Smash 4 being such a big game that's still being added to via DLC, and with the NX right around the corner, I find it difficult to imagine a new Smash built from the ground up being created for the NX in just a few years. I could see an improved version of Smash 4 getting released for the NX, but a whole new Smash title doesn't seem too likely. I'll give this decade long concept a score of 32%.
I guess the best thing to do is to wait and see...

Want: 40%
While this turn out isn't exactly preferable, I'm pretty indifferent. Smash 4 is my favorite Smash game so far, so I wouldn't necessarily mind waiting 10 years if that's what Nintendo needs to make sure they can create another quality Smash game. If a new version of Smash gets released for the NX, that would make the wait more bearable.

Nominations:
x5 Unpopular DLC Character

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Concept: Smash 5 Has 10-Year Wait Cycle

Chance - 45%: While my original estimate of 10 seems a little too preposterous, 8-9 years seems more believable. Otherwise, I'm seeing a lot of underestimation of the implications this concept might bring if considered likely.

Please read @Fuzzy Pickles! eloquently-worded treatise on this matter. Smash 4 has had both installments release in barely half a year at this time. The games are very young and there's tons of time they need in order to flourish. Let's compare the dev cycles of every game in the series:

• Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Melee: 3 years (1991-2001)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 8 years, originally slated to be 6 if it weren't for 2 delays (2001-2008)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS: 7 years, but technically 5 because SSB4's production phase began in 2012 (2008-2014)
The average wait between Smash games is 6, development difficulties permitting. The current paradigm allows us to expect this wait period. But I have reason to believe we'll tack on an additional 2-3 for SSB5 for numerous reasons:

1.) The wait has only just begun. SSB3DS is 10 months old and SSBU is 8 months old. They're just barely approaching the 1 year anniversary hallmark at this time. These games have covered all the new content of the last console generation into the beginning of this one, as well as marking off much more of Nintendo's older generational catalogue for representation. Therefore, the content is still fresh as Nintendo's major franchises cycle on.Moreover, DLC is being supported well into the start of 2016, so representing new franchises already has precedent as we've received Splatoon trophies and Mii Fighter costumes. Also, the game's metagame is fresh and the competitive scene around it has only just established a general conduct towards it. I don't want a Melee-SSB4 schism to result from apathy and community outcry either. For SSB4 to be a true success, it needs to be kept alive at least a little while after SSB5's release. Hopefully it remains as timeless as Melee though.

2.) Newcomer star power is depleting and could need to introduce less newcomers to preserve it. While Smash 4 might as well have the largest hypeworthy roster of all fighting games ever released, it absolutely fails in the desaturation department. Especially since we've got a lot of heavy-hitters initially (Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Villager, etc.) with more obscure picks prevalent (Shulk, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.). And don't get me started on DLC! Judging from a quick glimpse of fandom trends and Nintendo's chronicle, there's about 2 more Smash games you could make off the popular characters yet to join the battle. King K. Rool, Isaac, and Ridley are the big ones. Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Chibi Robo, a Rhythm Heaven character, an Advanced Wars character, a Legend of Zelda newcomer, etc. are highly-requested. Bandana Dee and Isabelle have become key characters to their series. We'll see at least one retro such as Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, NES Athlete, Bubbles, Tamagon, Prince Sable, Sukapon, Muddy Mole, Urban Champ, etc. Underutilized franchises like Punch-Out!!, F-Zero, Metroid, etc. could introduce new character with new games with Star fox Zero having the potential to do so already. The revolving newcomers and legacy characters of Pokémon and Fire Emblem are inevitable with Fates already out the door for the latter. New franchises are being pushed more than ever with games like Codename S.T.E.A.M., with Splatoon and even Xenoblade Chronicles X giving us the "base character model" avatars of Inkling and Cross respectively. There's tons of room left for 3rd parties with Simon Belmont, Slime, a Final Fantasy character, Rayman, Bomberman, even Banjo-Kazooie being worthy of legend status. As time goes on, franchises from last decade age and last their mark on gaming with Bayonetta, Professor Layton and possibly Jibanyan. SEGA, Capcom, and Bandai-Namco now have free reign of at least another character with more Sonic and Mega Man co-stars, another Street Fighter, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Feylene, Dig-Dug, a Tales character, Heihachi, etc. Indies seem to be lauded with Shovel Knight, Shantae, Commander Video, Quote, etc. Highly-requested veterans will have been on the shelf long enough for a ceremonious return such as the Ice Climbers, Snake, or Wolf. You could make easy clones out of Toadette, Morgan, Dr. Luigi, Octoling, Hyrule Warriors Concept Female Link, etc. Another Fighter Ballot may open for the new game to unexpected or emergent picks.

There's more than enough characters left to make a new game already. But keep that little italicizes keyword in mind: enough. With Smash 4, a good half of the newcomers have been in the fandom even back to Melee and generated huge praise when they were revealed because it feels like there spot was long-deserved before now. How many of the characters above can you honestly say that for? If I were director, I would take maybe around 5-8 of those characters out of each category, cull some peripheries from the last game and maybe have been straggling along the series, and have the rest of the unrepresented characters and content - recent and classic - left alone for the next game. Lest I use up them too soon, I'll have expended an entire generation's worth of content instead of allowing it to flourish into new forms or even speculate on.

3.) A director shift is highly likely and could take some time securing. With Iwata dead and Sakurai approaching a creative block to the series, you already have one major player gone with both being up in the air. If Sakurai leaves his director position altogether for a supervisor position or even refuses to get involved in SSB5's development, Nintendo would have to find a new director that can resuscitate the then-dormant franchise without making it so different fans will be alienated.

Who exactly would be a good choice to succeed Sakurai? How will their vision impact the series? Hmmm. Yoshíto Higuchi has been credited as SSB4's co-director and has ties with Bandai-Namco (along with making Tales the next "director baby" franchise like Kirby or Kid Icarus!) Producers Shinya Saito and Mayasaya Kobayashi already have the experience of overseeing SSB4's development, yet have unproven portfolios or visionary talents. I suppose it's easy to slap Shigeru Miyamoto's name on anything Nintendo too.

Otherwise, if they reaaaaally needed a new Smash for the NX, they should pull a Capcom and just release Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: NX Edition or even an extension of the SSB4 series with Super Smash Bros. for NX. This should have all DLC characters & stages, 3DS & Wii U connectivity, an exclusive mode or two a la Smash Tour/Run, and utilizing whatever the NX's features are. This seems to be something every fighting game franchise eventually goes through and it doesn't necessarily milk the franchise while it's still lactating rather than it does bottle the latest batch. Plus, the sellback rate on the Wii u version would likely subsidize a portion of the dev costs and make margin profit. Also, why not make a spin-off series of Smash instead? Super Smash Kart? Super Smash Sports Mix? Super Smash Tactics? Super Smash Sisters Extreme Beach Volleyball? There would be accusations of milking, but as long as it doesn't absorb the mainline series like kudzu, having these occasional Nintendo crossover games has a lot of potential.

Want - 87%: Personally, I tend to think in "less is more" than "the more the merrier." Quality over quantity. The more scale or character rosters grow bigger, the more likely you are to oversaturate your game. People will gravitate towards the most effective characters or play one game mode only.

Whilst this isn't inherently a bad thing - as every game does this to some extent, it can lead to a lopsided product if unchecked. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and League of Legends are examples of games with too many characters that the player will give attention to. Hell, if you want to stretch, all 721 Pokémon can't all be caught and I'll never get to live with all Animal Crossing villagers from Forest/e-Reader+ to New Leaf. With Smash Bros.' crossover value, that's going to be a very sad thing.

Along with the whole 55 characters and counting conundrum, holding back the series for even 10 years would be plenty of time to put the series into a possible 'exogenesis', especially if we get a new director. While an exogensises is not a reboot per sé, it leaves the expected conventions of the franchise behind whilst keeping the staples, and nuances them to form a new vision for the game. All previous 4 Smash games have a timeless formula, but it stales in many areas and has too many technicalities to truly be appreciated on a whole. We'd have a new way to play Smash, but both styles will be enjoyed by all gamers.

Welp, whoever the new director is, I prefer the talent to be relatively young so they have a fresh slate on legacy (Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Sakurai will all die with their talents someday) and they must hold the core mechanics of the series and Sakurai's standards of quality assurance, whilst giving the game original design touches and mechanics that Sakurai would remain too rigid to conceive. However, Sakurai definitely should be involved as a project supervisor for mentorship and to advise development so it still feels like a genuine Smash game. Like, he would be needed to prevent Goku from breaking down the ungodly 4th-party barrier or so the engine doesn't get overloaded with features or resembles traditional fighting games too closely.

The worst things to result from this would be gamer hysteria of Smash Bros. being dead despite demand and insecure people wanting one to come sooner because they think they'll either grow out of or have too much duty not to spare time to care about it despite wanting it. But with the wait showing the franchise is taking steps to age better and to give us another kickass game, Shigeru Miyamoto's parable could apply here. "A delayed game eventually is good. A bad game is bad forever."

(Enhanced) SSBU NX Port x3
Iwata Trophy x2

Feel free to tag me back in when those two concepts are following their day.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Classic Classic Mode
Chance: .01%
Want: 50%

10 year wait until new Smash
Chance: 30%
Want: 20%

Eggman Prediction: 9.87%
Adventure Mode Prediction: 15%

Nominations:
Bandana Dee x5

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Concept: Smash 5 Has 10-Year Wait Cycle

Chance - 45%: While my original estimate of 10 seems a little too preposterous, 8-9 years seems more believable. Otherwise, I'm seeing a lot of underestimation of the implications this concept might bring if considered likely.

Please read @Fuzzy Pickles! eloquently-worded treatise on this matter. Smash 4 has had both installments release in barely half a year at this time. The games are very young and there's tons of time they need in order to flourish. Let's compare the dev cycles of every game in the series:

• Super Smash Bros. to Super Smash Bros. Melee: 3 years (1991-2001)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee to Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 8 years, originally slated to be 6 if it weren't for 2 delays (2001-2008)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl to Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS: 7 years, but technically 5 because SSB4's production phase began in 2012 (2008-2014)
The average wait between Smash games is 6, development difficulties permitting. The current paradigm allows us to expect this wait period. But I have reason to believe we'll tack on an additional 2-3 for SSB5 for numerous reasons:

1.) The wait has only just begun. SSB3DS is 10 months old and SSBU is 8 months old. They're just barely approaching the 1 year anniversary hallmark at this time. These games have covered all the new content of the last console generation into the beginning of this one, as well as marking off much more of Nintendo's older generational catalogue for representation. Therefore, the content is still fresh as Nintendo's major franchises cycle on.Moreover, DLC is being supported well into the start of 2016, so representing new franchises already has precedent as we've received Splatoon trophies and Mii Fighter costumes. Also, the game's metagame is fresh and the competitive scene around it has only just established a general conduct towards it. I don't want a Melee-SSB4 schism to result from apathy and community outcry either. For SSB4 to be a true success, it needs to be kept alive at least a little while after SSB5's release. Hopefully it remains as timeless as Melee though.

2.) Newcomer star power is depleting and could need to introduce less newcomers to preserve it. While Smash 4 might as well have the largest hypeworthy roster of all fighting games ever released, it absolutely fails in the desaturation department. Especially since we've got a lot of heavy-hitters initially (Little Mac, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Villager, etc.) with more obscure picks prevalent (Shulk, Bowser Jr., Dark Pit, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.). And don't get me started on DLC! Judging from a quick glimpse of fandom trends and Nintendo's chronicle, there's about 2 more Smash games you could make off the popular characters yet to join the battle. King K. Rool, Isaac, and Ridley are the big ones. Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario, Krystal, Dixie Kong, Chibi Robo, a Rhythm Heaven character, an Advanced Wars character, a Legend of Zelda newcomer, etc. are highly-requested. Bandana Dee and Isabelle have become key characters to their series. We'll see at least one retro such as Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, NES Athlete, Bubbles, Tamagon, Prince Sable, Sukapon, Muddy Mole, Urban Champ, etc. Underutilized franchises like Punch-Out!!, F-Zero, Metroid, etc. could introduce new character with new games with Star fox Zero having the potential to do so already. The revolving newcomers and legacy characters of Pokémon and Fire Emblem are inevitable with Fates already out the door for the latter. New franchises are being pushed more than ever with games like Codename S.T.E.A.M., with Splatoon and even Xenoblade Chronicles X giving us the "base character model" avatars of Inkling and Cross respectively. There's tons of room left for 3rd parties with Simon Belmont, Slime, a Final Fantasy character, Rayman, Bomberman, even Banjo-Kazooie being worthy of legend status. As time goes on, franchises from last decade age and last their mark on gaming with Bayonetta, Professor Layton and possibly Jibanyan. SEGA, Capcom, and Bandai-Namco now have free reign of at least another character with more Sonic and Mega Man co-stars, another Street Fighter, Phoenix Wright, Jill Valentine, Monster Hunter, Feylene, Dig-Dug, a Tales character, Heihachi, etc. Indies seem to be lauded with Shovel Knight, Shantae, Commander Video, Quote, etc. Highly-requested veterans will have been on the shelf long enough for a ceremonious return such as the Ice Climbers, Snake, or Wolf. You could make easy clones out of Toadette, Morgan, Dr. Luigi, Octoling, Hyrule Warriors Concept Female Link, etc. Another Fighter Ballot may open for the new game to unexpected or emergent picks.

There's more than enough characters left to make a new game already. But keep that little italicizes keyword in mind: enough. With Smash 4, a good half of the newcomers have been in the fandom even back to Melee and generated huge praise when they were revealed because it feels like there spot was long-deserved before now. How many of the characters above can you honestly say that for? If I were director, I would take maybe around 5-8 of those characters out of each category, cull some peripheries from the last game and maybe have been straggling along the series, and have the rest of the unrepresented characters and content - recent and classic - left alone for the next game. Lest I use up them too soon, I'll have expended an entire generation's worth of content instead of allowing it to flourish into new forms or even speculate on.

3.) A director shift is highly likely and could take some time securing. With Iwata dead and Sakurai approaching a creative block to the series, you already have one major player gone with both being up in the air. If Sakurai leaves his director position altogether for a supervisor position or even refuses to get involved in SSB5's development, Nintendo would have to find a new director that can resuscitate the then-dormant franchise without making it so different fans will be alienated.

Who exactly would be a good choice to succeed Sakurai? How will their vision impact the series? Hmmm. Yoshíto Higuchi has been credited as SSB4's co-director and has ties with Bandai-Namco (along with making Tales the next "director baby" franchise like Kirby or Kid Icarus!) Producers Shinya Saito and Mayasaya Kobayashi already have the experience of overseeing SSB4's development, yet have unproven portfolios or visionary talents. I suppose it's easy to slap Shigeru Miyamoto's name on anything Nintendo too.

Otherwise, if they reaaaaally needed a new Smash for the NX, they should pull a Capcom and just release Super Smash Bros. for Wii U: NX Edition or even an extension of the SSB4 series with Super Smash Bros. for NX. This should have all DLC characters & stages, 3DS & Wii U connectivity, an exclusive mode or two a la Smash Tour/Run, and utilizing whatever the NX's features are. This seems to be something every fighting game franchise eventually goes through and it doesn't necessarily milk the franchise while it's still lactating rather than it does bottle the latest batch. Plus, the sellback rate on the Wii u version would likely subsidize a portion of the dev costs and make margin profit. Also, why not make a spin-off series of Smash instead? Super Smash Kart? Super Smash Sports Mix? Super Smash Tactics? Super Smash Sisters Extreme Beach Volleyball? There would be accusations of milking, but as long as it doesn't absorb the mainline series like kudzu, having these occasional Nintendo crossover games has a lot of potential.

Want - 87%: Personally, I tend to think in "less is more" than "the more the merrier." Quality over quantity. The more scale or character rosters grow bigger, the more likely you are to oversaturate your game. People will gravitate towards the most effective characters or play one game mode only.

Whilst this isn't inherently a bad thing - as every game does this to some extent, it can lead to a lopsided product if unchecked. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and League of Legends are examples of games with too many characters that the player will give attention to. Hell, if you want to stretch, all 721 Pokémon can't all be caught and I'll never get to live with all Animal Crossing villagers from Forest/e-Reader+ to New Leaf. With Smash Bros.' crossover value, that's going to be a very sad thing.

Along with the whole 55 characters and counting conundrum, holding back the series for even 10 years would be plenty of time to put the series into a possible 'exogenesis', especially if we get a new director. While an exogensises is not a reboot per sé, it leaves the expected conventions of the franchise behind whilst keeping the staples, and nuances them to form a new vision for the game. All previous 4 Smash games have a timeless formula, but it stales in many areas and has too many technicalities to truly be appreciated on a whole. We'd have a new way to play Smash, but both styles will be enjoyed by all gamers.

Welp, whoever the new director is, I prefer the talent to be relatively young so they have a fresh slate on legacy (Miyamoto, Aonuma, and Sakurai will all die with their talents someday) and they must hold the core mechanics of the series and Sakurai's standards of quality assurance, whilst giving the game original design touches and mechanics that Sakurai would remain too rigid to conceive. However, Sakurai definitely should be involved as a project supervisor for mentorship and to advise development so it still feels like a genuine Smash game. Like, he would be needed to prevent Goku from breaking down the ungodly 4th-party barrier or so the engine doesn't get overloaded with features or resembles traditional fighting games too closely.

The worst things to result from this would be gamer hysteria of Smash Bros. being dead despite demand and insecure people wanting one to come sooner because they think they'll either grow out of or have too much duty not to spare time to care about it despite wanting it. But with the wait showing the franchise is taking steps to age better and to give us another kickass game, Shigeru Miyamoto's parable could apply here. "A delayed game eventually is good. A bad game is bad forever."

(Enhanced) SSBU NX Port x3
Iwata Trophy x2

Feel free to tag me back in when those two concepts are following their day.
That is my favorite analysis-based speculation, and I enjoy that so much that I do think the next installment is worth be released on a special anniversary (20 or 25)

Also I might believe that Hideki Kamiya might also be a noteworthy candidate since he has used Nintendo properties quite carefully in a few titles like wonderful 101 and bayonetta 1(wii u) & 2. He also has a good friendship with sakurai.

The most I can envision with that candidate involved is having rankings including the following: glass, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, pure platinum, pure smashing platinum

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Want: 90%

10 year wait cycle
Chance: 25%

Predictions:
Eggman: 5%
Adventure Mode: 10%

Nominations:
Gardevoir x5

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Better late than never, right? Especially if I can hang on to perfect attendance.

--

Concept: New "Traditional" Classic Mode

So the Wii U version's Classic Mode was...lackluster. There was hardly anything "classic" about it, and fans didn't like having to face a gauntlet of 8-player matches just because 8-Player Smash is a thing now. Sakurai's said he'd consider "new modes" as free DLC, so there is the chance of a new single player mode that better resembles the Classic Mode of the 3DS version and previous Smash games.

...But at the same time, it doesn't seem likely. Such a mode would require a lot of work and put a lot of demand on a dev team that is significantly smaller than before. With the manpower they're devoting to costumes, stages, and characters (Four in the span of eight months!), they probably just wouldn't have the free heads and hands they'd need.

Want: 70%
Though I'd be all for it if it happened. As a more competitive player, Classic Mode is just a thing to do on the side more than anything, but I definitely prefer something like what the 3DS version has over that...not-so-classic gauntlet on the Wii U.

Concept: No New Smash Games for Ten or More Years

Chance: Abstain
Want: Abstain

...I can't rate this one. I just can't. There're way too many factors.

As we've seen, previous Smash games have happened in a lot fewer than ten years. Melee was ready around two and a half years after Smash 64, Brawl came a little over six years after that, and Smash 4 took six and a half. If the pattern would hold, it points toward Smash 5 being ready some time in early-mid 2021, not 2024-5.

Considering the circumstances, though, some previous pattern won't apply here. With the NX looking somewhere on the distant horizon, we could be seeing a new Nintendo console far earlier than anyone expected. If released in the next year and a half, it seems more likely the NX would get the Smash 4 version of a "Game of the Year Edition", a port with some upgraded graphical fidelity and all the DLC included with it. That might be enough for Sakurai or the powers that be, and they might wait until the NX's successor for Smash 5.

Or maybe they're not. Maybe the NX is further off than it seems. Maybe they plan for the NX to last much longer than previous consoles. There're other circumstances that could come into play that we do not know of yet. Hell, maybe Iwata's shuffling of his mortal coil might convince Sakurai to take a break for a while and let Smash rest for ten or more years...or maybe he'd just step down from Smash entirely and let someone new take the reins for the next game to release as usual.

It's just too hard to predict right now.

Dr. Eggman Prediciton: 9.25%
Not out of the question if Ryu means anything, but it seems like Sonic favor Tails. Expect this rating to be lower out of fear of competition.

Prediction for the Concept of a DLC Adventure Mode: 2.37%
Take the already-low ratings for the chance of an old-school Classic Mode...and throw in how much more complicated Adventure Mode is.

Nominations: Delphox x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

We already have a Melee/Brawl style Classic Mode on the 3DS, so the chances we'll see this on the WiiU as well are slim. In a way, much like how modes such as All-Star Mode and Trophy Rush have differences between both versions, it is supposed to make the Classic Modes distinct between the two versions. One focuses on a retro style Classic Mode, while the other brings a newer style that incorporates elements from the old style (such as the possibility of running into Mega/Metal battles) but brings lots of new elements (characters wear alternate costumes, characters do not fight on their home stages, 4+ players in a single match being frequent, etc). Thus, the idea of making modes distinct from one another may prevent a Melee/Brawl style Classic Mode from happening on the WiiU, though it could happen considering Sakurai stated he is interested in adding new game modes through DLC, and it has the nostalgia factor going for it.

Want: 65%

I too find the WiiU style of Classic Mode quite challenging because of the frequency of getting into matches filled with 4+ players, but at the same time, I also enjoy it. It feels more fresh compared to the Melee/Brawl style, though I'd be okay with this Classic Mode style being added into the game through DLC.

10 Year wait cycle

I can see why something like this could happen. Without Iwata, Sakurai would lose motivation to work on Smash Bros 5, and his recent comments about Smash Bros 4 suggests he is getting tired with developing the games. If Sakurai won't be around to direct Smash Bros 5, then Nintendo will have to find a new director, and that could take some time as well. While 10 years does seem reasonable, I don't think it'll take that long. There was a 7 year gap between Melee and Brawl's release, and with the NX around the corner, I wouldn't be surprised if the game out 8 years at most after Smash Bros 4's release.

Want: Abstain

I can't predict what the future has in store for me.

Predictions:

Dr. Eggman (Sonic): 5.34%
Adventure Mode: 2.26%

Nominations:

Gallade (Pokemon): x5

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That is my favorite analysis-based speculation, and I enjoy that so much that I do think the next installment is worth be released on a special anniversary (20 or 25)

Also I might believe that Hideki Kamiya might also be a noteworthy candidate since he has used Nintendo properties quite carefully in a few titles like wonderful 101 and bayonetta 1(wii u) & 2. He also has a good friendship with sakurai.

The most I can envision with that candidate involved is having rankings including the following: glass, bronze, silver, gold, platinum, pure platinum, pure smashing platinum
It flatters me that I've inadvertently left an impression on you. :3

There's certainly a lot more meat in the stock than my original recipe intended. It might even beat the SMT assessment! I mean, really, it takes some patience to really appreciated. So thank you.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Decade long wait
Chance: 10% - I feel that SSB is too popular and highly demanded for Nintendo to consider holding it back that long.
Want: Abstain - I'll be 36 years old in 10 years, I can't say for sure if I'll still be as interested in gaming by then as I am now.

Traditional Classic
Chance: 1% - I just can't see them putting the time and effort into this unless it was hugely demanded.
Want: 50% - I don't care either way, I actually SSB Wii U's Classic mode the way it is.

Nominations: Corrin x5

DAY OVER
PLEASE WAIT WHILE I CALCULATE THE RESULTS

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
CONCEPT: MELEE/BRAWL STYLE CLASSIC MODE
CHANCE: 6.13%
WANT: 65.74%

CONCEPT: SSB5 HAS A 10 YEAR WAIT CYCLE
CHANCE: 23.82%
WANT: 9.91%
Next up we're rating the mad scientist Dr. Robotnik Eggman and the concept of a DLC Adventure mode. Also please predict the scores of two ideas that climbed the nominations list extremely fast: Delphox and the concept of an unpopular character becoming playable.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Dr. Eggman:
Chance: 3%

Being third party makes his chances extremely low coupled with the fact that he's another Sonic character who isn't as requested as the others.
Want: 3%
Eggman's cool. Don't really want him in Smash though.

Adventure Mode:

I don't see any new modes being added as DLC.
Want: 60%
I miss an Adventure mode and the Smash Tour mode for this iteration was lackluster in my opinion.

Predictions:
Delphox: 2%
Concept Unpopular Character Playable: 5%

Nominations:
Iwata Trophy 2x
Samurai Goroh 3x

Next up we're rating the mad scientist Dr. Robotnic Eggman
You spelled Robotnik wrong.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
Eggman
Chance 4%
Want 10%

Adventure Mode DLC
Chance 9%
Want 20%

Predictions:

Delphox 5%

Unpopular DLC character 2%

Nominations
Serperior x 5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dr. Robotnik (When did he stop using that name...?)

Want: 5%
The only reason he's not getting a 1% from me is that the Sonic franchise is basically Nintendo's adopted baby by this time, what with all of the crossovers (Mario and Sonic at the ______Olympic Games) they've done. However, dunno how much he's requested. IF we got a second Sonic character, Tails is probably the top choice, since he's in the 'sidekick' position, and has been playable for a long time. I'd even argue that Knuckles would be the next after that considering his position as the Sonic meme-god.
But we need more villains. But let's start with some BIG names...
Adventure Mode
Want: 50%
I actually loved SSE. It was loads of fun to play through and follow a story. Too bad it got cut down to what it was already.
Even Melee's adventure mode was interesting, since you did get to go around the Smash universe.
Now, will we get this for DLC? Unlikely. That's A LOT of programming that needs to be patched in. Even a Melee-style adventure mode would be prohibitively large. Classic mode could be easier to plug in, doubly so if they end up replacing the target tests/snag trophies/race to the finish with target blast/trophy rush/run final battle from Smash Run. All the programming that needs then is to set up certain battles with random characters. An adventure mode would be much tougher since you need to hook a simple story in, and you'd probably need some level-length stages to run on. Plus importing Smash Run enemies into the Wii U.
As to needing it...I'd be fine with just a classic Classic Mode. Smash Run is way more fun than I'd expected, and I can still play All-Star a lot with various characters to improve too.
Delphox Prediction: 1.9%
Unpopular Character Prediction...
Wait, what do we mean by this? I've got a few ideas if this is the case
  • Not in the top 10 of any polls: 9.9%
  • Rated 50% want or less in this thread: 3.5%
  • One-region wonder: 19.1%
  • Some people online ******** and moaning about the character choice: 99.9%
  • People ******** about the people who are ******** about it: 100%
Nomination: Tag-team Relay mode x5

D

Deleted member

Eggman
Chances : 7%
Want : 87%
His chances are nigh destroyed by other Sonic characters who would rush in first before him. Though as the villian of the franchise he would be a very nice addition.

Adventure Mode DLC
Chances : 3%
Want : 100%
Chances are destroyed by development effort, but i'm sure any sort of fan would want to see a spiritual sequel to SSE or even Melee's Adventure.

Prediction

Delphox 5.78

Unpopular DLC Fighter 2.45

Noms

X5

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Dr. Eggman
Chances: 6% I don't think he's very likely, since he's both third party and a villain, both of which are rare, along with the fact he has to compete with Tails and Knuckles.

Dr. Eggman is crazy, zany, unpredictable, unique, iconic and most of all, he has a giant personality. He fits in Smash like a glove! Even though he's not a Nintendo character, him not being in Smash Bros already just feels wrong.

DLC Adventure:
Chance: 18% There's some demand but not enough for it to stand a real chance imo. I think Mr. Sakurai would rather take a break than work on something this intensive.
Want: 30% I didn't really enjoy the brawl rendition of this mode, but I enjoyed the Melee one. Even if he went the Melee route I think I'd rather them work on some new and original modes first.
Predictions: Delphox 3%
Unpopular Character I think I need clarification on this.
Nominations: Jirachi x 5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pack your bags, make sure you got a toothbrush and a pair of clean underwear because the time is finally here!!!

oh and a handkerchief...mustn't forget the all important handkerchief, you never know if you might get a runny nose or something...

Concept: DLC Adventure Mode

Chance: 15%
Sakurai has stated that he is working on new game modes for DLC...Of course this could literally be anything, Tournament Mode is most likely gonna be available in August and he may be inclined to bring Target Smash back (because let's face it Angry birds Target Blast is kinda lame...we already have home Run Contest so it's kinda redundant as well)...
Now there's the issue with Smash Tour basically replacing any sort of Adventure mode of some kind...Smash Run is kinda cool on the 3DS but gets old really fast, and Smash Tour is literally just a condensed version of Mario Party.

Here's the thing. An entire Adventure Mode isn't out of the question especially if Sakurai has already started working on it, sure it may take a lot of time and man hours to get some of this sort of scale fleshed out, at least in a presentable fashion, but it could, key word 'could' be possible that Sakurai may work on it during the entire DLC period, which may last about a year or two, which actually a fair amount of time to work on this sort of thing, especially given how long it took for Sakurai and co to make the entire game on two different systems, with 50+ playable characters and a whole bunch of other modes and trophies and stages and all sorts of extra crap added. Sure the dev team is a lot smaller but the project is no where near as large as the rest of the game for 'both' systems...The adventure mode doesn't need to be anywhere near as big as the SSE...if that's the assumption people are going by then the chances would be almsot zero as that is way to big of a project for the team to work on especially given how many potential playable characters and stages we may be getting...But if it's a happy medium between Brawl and Melee's Adventure mode then the likelihood does increase a fair amount...
...It's hard to say for sure since Sakurai isn't giving specifics (understandably because how boring would it be if he went ahead and told us all of his plans for DLC) He simply said that he's working on new modes and we know that Tournament mode is still being worked on, but is there more to it? Fact is, Adventure Mode wasn't added into the game, possibly because of him working his ass off to get the game to work for both the 3DS and the Wii U, not to mention the largest cast of playable characters yet for both versions, and two different classic modes for each version, you get the picture; he simply did not have enough time and resources to get a proper Adventure Mode during the production time given everything else he's working on...

But what about cost? surely an entire Adventure mode would cost the players a lot to download, especially entire campaigns. Ok sure having different campaigns available at say 10-15 bucks each is kinda pushing it especially with multiple franchises having a lot to offer for their own specific campaigns, but of course this would be an entire singular campaign including multiple franchises, very much like melee's adventure mods and the SSE. Overall the cost wouldn't be too high for download 15 to maybe 20 bucks at most, now a $20 DLC for just one feature may sound rather expensive but there are plenty of games such as Mass Effect and Skyrim that includes DLC for $15-$20 for additional campaigns themselves that actually take up several hours to complete, of course these are usually part of those downloads that Sakurai was verbal about disliking since they were most likely planned from the beginning as a money grab. And these often have about 4 or 5 different campaigns available for download at $15-20, whereas Smash would have just one perhaps...cost isn't really an issue here buy it once and you're set for playing through the adventure as many times as you want...

The real question is...What kind of game modes is Sakurai planning?

----

I'm sure it's fairly obvious that I want an Adventure Mode, as a Zelda and Metroid fan, I WANT TO GO ON AN ADVENTURE! It gives the game a greater purpose...sure, Smashing the snot out of other Nintendo all-stars is fun and all especially with friends, but there's so much For Glory shenanigans, and CPU OP or UP I can handle...Classic Mode is literally a set of various Smash games, there's no real thrill to it since I can emulate all of the possible scenarios through Smash and Special Smash...also being forced to battle 5-7 other characters in one match is pretty frikkin annoying...and the Stadium Smash is literally just....there...At least Break the Targets is fun...oh wait we don't have that either...though we get a small taste of that in Smash Run on the 3DS if you're lucky enough to find it...

To say I was disappointed was an understatement....

Just think of the potential!
Various campaigns themed around nintendo's biggest franchises, with a major boss fight at the end of each campaign in teh Adventure...Mario Campaign-Petey Pirahna returns! or a new boss Draggadon from CT:TT was pretty cool; Zelda Campaign, through lush forests, heated volcanoes, haunted temples until facing Her Majesty Queen Gohma with her famous One Eye as the Weakpoint!; Pokemon campaign-what better way to feature more pokemon in the game than to have a crapload of pokemon as enemies, until fighting against the almighty MEGA RAYQUAZA!!! he's back with a vengeance after getting pummeld by a monkey and a fox of all things; even Third Party Sonic Campaigns-Badniks roam all over the place while jumping on spring and possibly running over boosters that allow you to spin sonic style and even go through loop-da-loops! Eggman's got one of his mechs waiting for a boss fight!...This is just scratching the surface...
Zelda
Mario
Metroid
Kid Icarus
Kirby
Yoshi
Pokemon
There's a full on Adventure mode just with those franchises alone....even a Punch Out campaign would be pretty cool where you battle different boxers that function as regular enemies except tougher (except for Glass Joe who'd probably get knocked out by one smash attack) and have a massive King Hippo or somebody as the boss...

Man there is so much potential for somekind of Adventure Mode and I was extremely disappointed when there wasn't any added into the game yet...Smash Run is pretty close but get's old after a while since your task is simply to just kill everything and get stronger then a final fight against other characters...why it there's no online mode I don't know...if it's 3DS exclusive why not ship it to the Wii U and add an online mode there?

Anyways...One other thing I like about adventure mode, specifically SSE were the unlikely partnerships such as Mario and Pit, Link and Yoshi, Samus/ZSS and Pikachu, Lucas and Pokemon Trianer (RIP)...imagine other partnerships like...Jigglypuff and Little Mac :troll: and Megaman and Duck Hunt, or Pac-Man and Villager...as well as those memorable scenes...the swordsmen's dual between Meta Knight and Marth, ROB's epic reveal, Ridley Slamming Samus to the wall while Pikachu Thunder's the Purple Beast!...Being able to see Nintendo's (SEGA, Capcom and Namco's) finest interact with eachother is something special in of itself...

As I said there is so much to work with, and now that Sakurai's basically got a an extra year or two to work on it, it could happen and I'm sure many people would be pleased to have it! It helps give the game a bigger purpose other than just y'know settling it in Smash all the time....which is fun don't get me wrong but sometimes actually working through a campaign or two would be cool as well...

Oh, and one other thing for my closing statement...Nintendo...NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE A PARTY GAME!!!!!!!!!!! (srsly, multi player Zelda and Metroid on the way, Animal Crossing Amiibo party as well as the Smash Tour feature in smash)

----

Dr. Eggman

Ryu opened the doors for Namco and Sega to get a potential second rep, as it showed the community that Sakurai is open to more characters under ownership of those companies and is not limiting his choices...Dr. Eggman is a prime candidate, at least one would think...Sega's only really iconic series is the Sonic series, others are just sort of there or are too new to the world to possibly be enough of a 'special case'....but the problem is not outside of his series but inside...the Eggman's got to compete with the likes of Tails and Knuckles and if the franchise were to get a second rep, that would most likely be it...between Sonic and someone else...Now Eggman is a pretty damn iconic villain within gaming, his rivalry with Sonic is almost as famous as Mario with Bowser...however...if the Mario franchise is anything to go by...Luigi got in before Bowser (you can count Yoshi as well since he's also Mario's sidekick in some way)...which pretty much means the sidekick has more going for him...Tails serves as Eggman's biggest competition, especially since Tails was the first character after Sonic to be playable...Not to mention if it really gets down to competition, Tails actually has enough intelligence and gadgetry to do whatever Eggman can do, since he himself has his own mechs and machinery to work with...on top of whatever hand to hand combat he has...

This is all considering we'll even get anymore third party characters period....

----

As cool as the Eggman would be, I'd actually prefer Tails to get in as the second Sonic rep...He's almsot as iconic as his buddy and I feel he has enough merit to warrant him a spot on the roster...Eggman may make it someday, but i don't think today is his day...

----

Prediction:
Delphox: 2.3%
Correct me if I'm wrong but Delphox was one of the Gen 6 Pokemon considered, but ended up getting :4greninja:'d in the end? She'd be another spellcaster, but that chances of getting another pokemon or a fire type pokemon seem rather low to me actually...

Unpopular DLC Character: 7.8%
Sakurai's reputation may makes this deserves a big score...however it one thing when adding a character to the main roster but it's another thing when adding them as DLC...also by Unpopular do we mean a character that is not really that popular or simply lacks support overall, though is a popular character in teh grand scheme of things....because if it's the latter then this is already confirmed seeing as Ryu had barely any support at least until the first data leak...

----

Nominations:
Concept: New Metroid Prime Stage x3
Iwata Trophy/Tribute x2

----

oh...boy...I think that's enough adventuring for me today....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dr. Robotnik

"Nobody calls me that anymore."

Dr. Eggman

The same score @XenoBrawler610 and I gave Tails earlier. Almost everything he stated in that post applies to Eggman.

XenoBrawler610 said:
Now... hear me out on this.
I do think that a 2nd Sonic character is pretty plausible now with the addition of Ryu.
Why? Ryu shows that a company can get a second character, meaning that a second Sonic character can happen. While Sega has its other franchises, they arguably aren't as influential or as popular as Sonic.
The Sonic fans will demand for a second character and we have some pretty iconic characters within this franchise that I bet will do pretty OK on the ballot. The three that stand out to me are Tails (the sidekick, Sonic's Luigi), Knuckles (the popular echidna that doesn't chuckle and rather flex his muscles), and Eggman (the main villain).
And while he is a background element in Green Hill Zone for the 3DS, it can simply be removed, much like if you play on Dream Land with King Dedede.
Now, I think the series has a 30% chance of getting a new character, 10% each for Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. I don't think the chances are high because I don't think that the same case with a Capcom character will happen again, but I will not deny the possibility.

As a Sonic fan myself, I can't say I'm against Eggman's inclusion either.

Adventure Mode DLC

It probably would have happened by now, but I won't deny the small possibility.

Predictions:

Delphox - 5%

Unpopular DLC Fighter - 2.5%

Nomination: NX Port x5 - This one's for @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy .

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Dr. Eggman chances: 6%
I'd say most of what I said about Tails applies here as well, except that I think the main sidekick would likely get over the main villain... it'd be like having King K. Rool over Diddy Kong. And while I'm not sure if it means a lot, Bowser Jr. already occupies the main niche Dr. Eggman would take, as a mecha mounted fighter.

Dr. Eggman want: abstain

-----

Melee-like DLC adventure mode chances: 3%
Brawl-like DLC adventure mode chances
: 0%
So overall 3%
Not implausible, except for one thing... the development time it would take, arguably even more than a fighter. While a 3DS adventure mode could take reused assets from Smash Run, a lot more work would be done for a Wii U version (since every paid DLC we got as this point had been shared between 3DS and Wii U, I'd assume it'd be the same for an adventure mode, and I doubt it would be just added for free). At least it's more plausible than a revamped Classic mode in my book since there's no established adventure mode in either game. Besides, Smash 4 had been criticized for being kind of lackluster single player-wise, especially on Wii U, and the lack of an adventure mode in particular had disappointed a lot of fans. If an Adventure mode of some sort was added to the game, I'm sure it would be particularly hype among the Smash community.

For a Subspace Emissary-like Adventure mode, hopes are non-existent, nada, zero, due to how much development time it took, especially with those stages created specially for this mode. (Not to mention how Sakurai said he didn't want to create cutscene to eventually see them uploaded on YouTube...) Now a Melee-like Adventure mode? More plausible; you will still have to create some stages used only for this mode, but compared to a Brawl-like Adventure mode, that'd be nothing, and that's even more true cutscenes-wise. Melee's Adventure mode also had much less story, if at all, as its main goal was to make you feel that you're visiting specific Nintendo universes through a combination of platforming and fighting levels.

DLC adventure mode want: 100%
Yes please! Super Smash Bros., at its heart, is both a platformer and fighting game, and that's why its gameplay is so memorable and unique in the first place. But in Smash 4, the platformer aspect of Smash Bros. is only explored through Smash Run, a very fun game mode that still makes me play the 3DS version, though it is flawed (like some poorly designed enemies - looking at you Bacuras - and stupid random events... I one killed an event boss Bonkers and I got randomly teleported before having the time to collect his rewards... I was literally furious lol). Melee's Adventure mode was admittedly awesome at making you feel that you're visiting many different Nintendo universes, with that Mushroom Kingdom, this Legend of Zelda labyrinth, that F-Zero track or when you have to broad an emergency platform after beating Samus. And with the sheer diversities of franchises represented in SSB4 compared to Melee, it'd be awesome if there was the possibility of choosing your path, for a non-linear and hugely repayable Adventure mode.

Not gonna lie, I'd gladly pay for such a game mode.

-----

Delphox prediction: 1.58
This is the RTC thread or Smash, not Pokkén. In other words, except a bottom tier chances score.

Unpopular DLC character prediction: 32%
Who knows if Sakurai is willing to throw us another oddball...

Nominating: now that both concepts I was interested in seeing rated are being nominated and saved for tomorrow respectively, I can go full force nominating a rerate for Rayman.
(Rerate) Playable newcomer: Rayman x5

@ colder_than_ice colder_than_ice could we have an up-to-date nomination list? Thanks!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Technically, both names are correct. Robotnik is his canonical last name, and Eggman is an in-universe nickname that stuck.

--

Dr. Eggman

Chance: 6%
You know this guy: the rotund evil genius of the Sonic games with the master plan. He's had his moments of competence in his world domination schemes, sometimes involving the armies of robots he builds, but he's usually more of a threat when he's piloting a machine himself.

A memorable guy the fans enjoy thwarting every step of the way, he might have an outside shot at getting into Smash. Ryu may or may not have paved the way for multiple characters per third party company (if they could tell us why he made it; it'd answer a lot of questions), and one could see Sega stepping on board. Barring a surprise, though, he'd have to get in via the Smash Ballot...and his support's on the low side, as what support there is for another Sonic character is also divided between Tails and Knuckles, for the most part.

For this mad doctor to pave his way into Smash, he'll need to overcome some of the characters who've been thorns in his side for a while...and then overcome many others.

Want: 30%

I'm...mildly interested. I could see Eggman piloting a mech to fight and summoning other robots with some attacks, which could lead to a really cool moveset if it was well implemented.

Concept: DLC Adventure Mode

Chance: 3.5%
The lack of any kind of Adventure mode has been...surprising, to say the least. Smash Run made up for it in the 3DS version (I'm hoping it comes back expanded in Smash 5, personally), but the lackluster Smash Tour has Wii U owners wishing there was something more substantial to do in single player.

Problem is...well, you know all of the issues that'd arise if they tried to make a true "Classic" mode in the Wii U version?

Such a mode would require a lot of work and put a lot of demand on a dev team that is significantly smaller than before. With the manpower they're devoting to costumes, stages, and characters (Four in the span of eight months!), they probably just wouldn't have the free heads and hands they'd need.
Take all of them and amplify them for how much more elaborate Adventure Mode would be.

Want: 60%

That said, if they did go through with it, I'd welcome it...although I'd be concerned about how much it might've taken away from working on characters or stages.

I'm more of a competitive guy, y'know? Ultimately, I'm more interested in what newcomers and viable stages we could see.

Delphox Prediction: 2.50%
Fairly well known, but bound to be shot down by anyone who's either convinced we won't get another Pokémon or out of fear from anyone sees her as competition for a character they support.

Let's see who's interested despite that, shall we?

Prediction for the Concept of an Unpopular DLC Character:
...Uh...there're a lot of factors here. What exactly are we rating? Can those who nominated this one explain?

Nominations:
Eh, why not. Won't happen in this game, but the concept's interesting. At least until I have a clear idea of who to push for next.

Corrin x5

♫I got the maaaaaster plan...♫

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Dr. More the merrier:
Chance:
10%
I already covered this throughly on Tails' day.

You know what they say the more the merrier, I actually want another mech fighter in Smash.

Adventure Mode:
Chance:
10%
Sakurai can't hold the team together for too long and he knows we like characters the most. (Hence a character ballot)

Might play it once, but not worth it considering development is at its end.

Delphox: 2.3%
Unpopular DLC character: 30%

Nabbit x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Egg man
Both: 0%

Adventure mode
Want: 75%

Predictions
Delphox 2%
Unpopular Character 17%
(Who would be defined as unpopular? How would we decide what confirms this or not)

Iwata tribute x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Dr. Snooping as usual (Eggman)

Chance
5% - The good doc, the big time villain, has some competition from other Sega characters, like Tails. However, with Tails already in the Background of Green Hill, the Doc could have a one up (unless Tails pulls a Toon Link/King Dedede).

Want
90% - Eggman is my most wanted 2nd Sonic Character. I like Tails, but Eggman has been with the series longer than our two tailed fox friend. Also, Tails wouldn't be as original as Eggman would be, as Tails would be a bit similar to Sonic himself, save the ability to fly.

Adventure mode

Chance
25% - Somewhere along the way, I remember the Smash team saying that they might be adding another mode to Smash. As much as I want to believe that it could be Adventure mode, it's also a good possibility of being Smash Run on Wii U.

Want
75% - Of course I'd love an Adventure Mode in Smash. Either Melee or Brawl style, it doesn't matter. However, I've taken off a bit of points because we're missing 3 big veterans right now (Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake), and Adventure mode just wouldn't feel the same without ALL of them.

Predictions
Delphox - 1.9%
Unpopular DLC character - 1.2%

Nominations
Re-rate: Bandana Waddle Dee X5

Last edited:
Dr. Eggman

Adventure Mode