• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate their Chances: the DLC Edition. Day: 192: The final day

What about Snake?
Brawl's age rating is higher than SSB4's, if either Snake or Jill would be included it would probably affect to the game's rating, also Snake only got in because of Kojima's request and Sakurai and Kojima being close friends. I doubt a character from M rated game would've got in otherwise.

@ShinyRegice Yeah, I noticed that and already fixed it.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Brawl's age rating is higher than SSB4's, if either Snake or Jill would be included it would probably affect to the game's rating, also Snake only got in because of Kojima's request and Sakurai and Kojima being close friends. I doubt a character from M rated game would've got in otherwise.

@ShinyRegice Yeah, I noticed that and already fixed it.
No, it would not. Snake was designed deliberately to avoid affecting the rating. He does not use firearms or knife - granted these are key elements of a potential Resident Evil character, but that doesn't change the fact "they're from an M rated game" is not a compelling argument, like, at all.

No, it would not. Snake was designed deliberately to avoid affecting the rating. He does not use firearms or knife - granted these are key elements of a potential Resident Evil character, but that doesn't change the fact "they're from an M rated game" is not a compelling argument, like, at all.
Okay, I'll remove it then.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Young Link:
Chance: 30% - Even with Majora's Mask 3D out, I still don't think he has a decent chance.
Want: 25% - We already got two Links (:4link: and :4tlink:) in the game. I not really fond of having a third.

Jill Valentine:
Chance: 20% - Pretty low especially when there's already two Capcom reps (:4megaman: and :4ryu:) in the game.
Want: 90% - I mean really, any Resident Evil character would do for me, even Jill. It wouldn't hurt to have a third Capcom rep in the game now, would it?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
JILL VALENTINE:
CHANCE: 0%
Even if you disregard the M-rated objection, the fact remains that Ryu has a KO'd the chances of any more Capcom character hopefuls. And I think Phoenix Wright would be chosen over her, as the Ace Attorney has been comparatively more faithful to Nintendo.

WANT: 20%
Eh.​

YOUNG LINK:
CHANCE: 1%
WANT: 0%

Aside from having very low demand in general, people throwing around the Majora's Mask transformations should understand that it's not a feasible idea on the 3DS. Copying Young Link as is from Melee is a bad idea as he would barely stand out among Link and Toon Link, sharing aesthetic similarities to adult Link while being similar in size to Toon Link (unlike :4mario::4drmario: or :4marth::4lucina::4feroy:), and most people really don't want three Links.

And I hardly ever used him in Melee, so I don't want him back.
:231:

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Jill
Chance: 0%
No one is voting for Resident Evil. No one is voting for Jill.

Want: 50%
That said, I actually quite like Jill Valentine(and Chris Redfield) and had this been Nintendo Vs. Capcom(in b4 "huh huh, isn't it? We have Megaman AND Ryu now") I'd be quite supportive of Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield...that is after Frank West or Chuck Greene got in that is, who let's be honest; are from the best Capcom zombie related games really.

Young Link
Chance: 0.1%

No one is voting for a third Link. If you actually are, I implore you; please stop and vote for someone who isn't already on the roster. TWICE.
Also one of the few true cuts from Brawl according to the data and even Japan, who are huge on their veteran love, aren't that fussed about Young Link.

0.1 because still a vet and I know at least three people are voting for him on these forums.

Want: 0%

No. No. No. Stop it now, this isn't funny anymore.

What a total waste of time and effort. Only about 1% of the Smash community want Young Link to return, you'd be better off creating someone...ANYONE else to create genuine hype.
Bring Young Link back as one of the few remaining DLC fighters, and I swear he'll end up like the majority of Mii outfits; incredibly optional DLC that very few bother with.

Probably the worst business strategy option you could have if you want to sell DLC.

Hell, bring Pichu back if you want a cut veteran clone. At least he had a vaguely interesting gimmick, and with the rage mechanic could be fun to play as.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Umm...
Don't you mean that altogether, Young Link has a 1% chance, not 11%? :p

Thanks! I edited my prediction accordingly.
Young as he is is chance 10% + Young Link w an updated moveset as Masked Link which makes 11%...
Edit: after looking at it again it seems I forgot a 0 it there...

Last edited:

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
Please make Young Link a toon link skin/outfit! Would be amazing, easy to do, and everyone would be happy :D

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Young Link's Chance: 0%
While anything is possible, I'm giving Young Link a zero due to his chance being so low it might as well be that. I honestly cannot think of a more useless character at this point. Toon Link has entirely replaced the character in every way. Anything Young Link can do, Toon Link already does. And even Young Link's temporary boost in relevancy is dwarfed by Toon Link's, which is the most used Link design and still in use thanks to Hyrule Heroes.

Then there's the fan demand, which is pretty much zero. Out of all the characters, I really don't think anyone mind his absence from Brawl or this game since his playstyle, ie a faster Link, is already covered. Even though Roy is a clone, and we also have Lucina, the difference is that people wanted Roy back. Even Pichu, who is considered the worst design Smash Bros character in history has more support than Young Link. And that, alone, is what will keep him from being DLC. Sakurai said all characters from this point out will be fan demand, in which Young Link is not.

We have Link and Toon Link, I can guarantee that the fan-base will react negatively over the inclusion of yet another version of the same character. There just isn't any need for Young Link to return, in this game or ever.

Young Link's Want: 0%
I can't see any reason to spend real money for something I already have in the game. Even the Mii Costumes have more value than him.

----------

Jill's Chance: 5%
Since we have Ryu and Mega Man, it doesn't look like Capcom will be getting any other characters. Couple that with low fan support and she'd be a longshot at best.

Jill's Want: 5%
If we're adding a character from a Capcom zombie game, I'd rather have Frank West.

Troykv

Smash Master
I am legitimate surprised again by these ratings, you'd think the ratings would mostly be 0% with the news of fanservice, but no. :O
I also expected low ratings in general... But look, some people still put high score... Still the 0s and 1s are more now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I will focus on the arguments that seem pretty new to me.

I will bring up another argument that I think was unsung. Yes, Zelda has 5 characters, but that isn't damning in my eyes at all. What is damning is that Zelda has a lot of clones. We have Ganondorf, who is a clone of Captain Falcon, and Toon Link, who is a clone of Link (we'll get to him later). Don't you think Zelda fans would be disappointed if Zelda got another clone instead of someone who has an original moveset?
If he gets differentiated a bit like Roy and takes a few new moves based on MM3D, then yeah, Zelda and veterans fans have a reason to get excited and not be disappointed despite him being a clone of Link.

Young Link being relevant helps him? Hahaha... OBJECTION! Being relevant doesn't matter for Young Link because his relevancy was too late. Majora's Mask has absolutely no representation other than a couple of items and Skull Kid as an Assist Trophy. When these things were announced, we didn't know that MM3D existed. If Sakurai wanted to represent MM3D, he would have made a DLC stage for it by now, such as Great Bay. Hyrule Castle 64, a Zelda stage that will be DLC, is from Ocarina of Time... not Majora's Mask. Hyrule Warriors doesn't really help either because that game has no representation in Smash.
I think you're trying too hard here. His relevancy may not have netted him much content in the base game, but it doesn't mean more content from the game can happen. There's DLC to make up for that if he wanted to net more ideas from MM3D such as getting Young Link or Termina Bay back. The Majora's Mask Mii costume is small example of this, and we might get more from this game soon as more DLC packs are announced. It's just like how there was Splatoon content in Smash despite the relevancy being too late for the base game. This is only the beginning of Smash DLC, and there's still we haven't known much of how pre-ballot DLC will generally work.

Hyrule Castle 64, a Zelda stage that will be DLC, is from Ocarina of Time... not Majora's Mask.
I'd argue that this stage was brought back because of the high demand for the stage, just like Dreamland. Ocarina of Time was likely not the main reason this stage was added as DLC.

I will also mention that since Roy is a semi clone of Marth with many of his moves changed, you think that Young Link would have new moves to compensate. To, which I question, why give Young Link the special treatment? Why not differentiate Toon Link a bit more?
They would give him the special treatment because they have the time to do so, there were a good amount of moveset aesthetic changes for some of the veterans such as Pit, Olimar, Wario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Samus, King Dedede. If he can differentiate their movesets a bit during the Smash 4 base game, then he can certainly do so for Young Link, despite him not being planned previously in Brawl. Roy may have had a planned moveset in Brawl, but it doesn't mean Sakurai can't plan a somewhat changed Young Link too for the time he has with DLC. Toon Link being differentiated more is very unlikely of itself.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Young Link

Jill the not assist trophy Valentine

Jean Descole Prediction: 1.22%
Mallo Prediction: 6%

Nominations:
Bandana Dee x2
Shadow x2
Gallade x1

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Please make Young Link a toon link skin/outfit! Would be amazing, easy to do, and everyone would be happy :D
Technically we already have Young Link in Smash. :troll:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Young Link:

Chance: 5%
Once again, :4tlink: has absorbed him into his collective.

Want: 55%
It'd be nice if he had the masks to help him. But I'd sooner take Impa over him.

Jill Valentine:

Chance: 23%
Mega Man and Ryu are here. I doubt we'll get anyone else.

Want: Abstain
Not familiar with Resident Evil at all.

Predictions for Jean Descole: 1% Chance, 3% Want
Predictions for Mallo: 5% Chance, 21% Want

Nominate Isabelle x 5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Young Link
Chance- 8%
Being a veteran goes for something.
Want- 10%
Being a veteran goes for something.
From last time, except I took a couple points off the chance since we still haven't seen him. I just don't see what else really changed.

Jill Valentine
I don't say this very often, but… double zeroes.

Jean Descole Predictions- 1.1%
Mallo Predictions- 3%

Nominations:
Porky x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If he gets differentiated a bit like Roy and takes a few new moves based on MM3D, then yeah, Zelda and veterans fans have a reason to get excited and not be disappointed despite him being a clone of Link.
I'd like some proof of this, about older Zelda fans wanting a differentiated Young Link.

:231:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I didn't say older fans wanted a differentiated Young Link, I kind of mis-worded it a bit.
Zelda fans and veteran fans will get pretty excited once they see the potential Young Link reveal with a noticeably Luigified moveset.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
I didn't say older fans wanted a differentiated Young Link, I kind of mis-worded it a bit.
Zelda fans and veteran fans will get pretty excited once they see the potential Young Link reveal with a noticeably Luigified moveset.
But what reason would there be to implement Young Link before then? Just like before, your argument is assuming his chances are self-evident.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
But what reason would there be to implement Young Link before then? Just like before, your argument is assuming his chances are self-evident.
What do you mean?
Pre-ballot-wise?

He would know of his lack of high popularity, because pre-ballot would likely be the only time he could implement him and many other cut veterans in the game for the fans and mains who want to play as those characters again. Yes I know you will bring up the business side. But like I said, if Sakurai pulls out the right moves for his reveal (Which he likely will), he can get people to buy him. He doesn't have to account the high number of requests every time when he's considering his pre-ballot DLC characters, there are other ways he can make characters sell than just relying on what is highly requested to determine his pre-determined DLC character selection. Those high requests will likely be a bigger focus with the ballot, but not for pre-ballot all of the time.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
What do you mean?
Pre-ballot-wise?

He would know of his lack of high popularity, because pre-ballot would likely be the only time he could implement him and many other cut veterans in the game for the fans and mains who want to play as those characters again. Yes I know you will bring up the business side. But like I said, if Sakurai pulls out the right moves for his reveal (Which he likely will), he can get people to buy him. He doesn't have to account the high number of requests every time when he's considering his pre-ballot DLC characters, there are other ways he can make characters sell than just relying on what is highly requested to determine his pre-determined DLC character selection. Those high requests will likely be a bigger focus with the ballot, but not for pre-ballot all of the time.
But why would he choose Young Link? You've argued so much for how he could be made less of a clone after the fact, but what would get Sakurai to choose him over however many others that might've been overlooked early in development?

I mean, even though I haven't brought it up in here, Delphox actually has a small chance even pre-Ballot because we know they looked at Pokémon from Gen 6 before ultimately deciding on Greninja. Delphox could easily have been one of the other mons they considered, being a fellow starter with an inspired design and magic abilities that'd stand out from the characters already there, and who knows, maybe the idea stuck with them enough to be brought up again when they gave the green light for DLC. What does Young Link have similar to that?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Busy day again, so expect the shortness.

Young Link:
Chance: 10%
Want: 40%

Jill Valentine:
Chance: 1%
Want: 50%

Predictions:
Jean: 3%
Mallo: 8%

Nominations:
Corrin x5

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
But why would he choose Young Link? You've argued so much for how he could be made less of a clone after the fact, but what would get Sakurai to choose him over however many others that might've been overlooked early in development?
I've already reiterated the reason before, veteran status:

Polygon: Masahiro Sakurai Character Selection

“Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.” – Masahiro Sakurai
The preceding quote from Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai rings true for many Smash fans. We all have our favorite characters, after all, and it is particularly heart wrenching when those characters do not return for the next installment in the series. The good news for those of us that have lost our “mains” is that DLC now makes their return a possibility.

That being said, there are among many that don’t feel confident about the notion of every single cut character who has been in playable in Smash returning. They often bring up arguments such as the following:

“Pichu has a large hate base!”

“Young Link is a third Link!”

“These veterans aren’t popular requests in the ballot!”

“Squirtle is redundant with Greninja taking his play style!”

“Young Link’s play style is taken by Toon Link”

“Squirtle and Ivysaur are redundant with Charizard being solo.”

“The number of slots are limited!”

“Lucas’ and Roy’s game are Japan only!”

Despite these supposed issues, there are a number of reasons why all veterans is a notable possibility. There are two pieces of evidence in particular that makes a case for everyone returning.

First, look at the quote I posted to start:

“Whether it’s a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt.”

“I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we’re making these decisions.”
We can see from his words that he takes the return of veterans into serious consideration, even if that character is the least played character or a character with a minor fanbase. He knows that once a character is removed, the people who enjoyed using that character in the previous games are going to get upset, he really emphasizes these points in this interview.

He later has the following to say regarding characters who have been playable in Smash previously making it into Smash 4:

Nowgamer: We Don’t Have Time to Bring All The Characters Back
“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point,”

“So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”

This quote shows that he does not want to cut characters if he does not have to. In tight situations, he may have to cut characters, as he does not have the time and resources to recreate them all. He’s likely referring to ambitious roster size (along with the load of other content such as stages and modes) while having a set time limit frame in which to release them. I can imagine with these strict time constraints, Sakurai had to pick a certain amount of characters to leave out in order to meet deadlines.

DLC can change all of this. Now that the games have been released these issues are barely existent. He no longer has to stress about making a complete game and preparing it for a predetermined release date. He is now given a plentiful amount of time to bring everyone back. Sure, time and resources are still a factor, but at the very least he doesn’t have to worry about making two entire games anymore. Sakurai mentions in the previous interview that he really doesn’t want to cut characters out of the way, as cutting the least it is good for the fans. It would be logical to assume that that statement is very likely going to translate to his decisions when it comes to deciding which characters are going to be made for DLC.

This does not mean that all veterans are in the clear, however. If veterans have other issues holding them back they may very well not return. Snake MAY have some legal issues with Konami's current state and the Ice Climbers are the only veterans with serious issues. The technical issues involving the Ice Climbers have already been specified by Sakurai as the reason they cannot be playable (technical issues are likely the bigger priority than any other issue). Unless he can resolve these issues now that the games are out through using the New 3DS hardware or by making them Wii U exclusives, I do not see them coming back. There is always the possibility of making a “solo” Ice Climber or simplifying their gimmick, but I do not think that will happen. If he was going to do that he would already have done so for the base game (see Olimar’s reduced Pikmin.) Again, Sakurai does have the time to try implementing the Ice Climbers one more time, but it I only see this happening if he is willing to put as many characters into the game as possible. The issues with all veterans returning are not of Young Link, Pichu, Ivysaur, Squirtle, nor Wolf, but specifically Snake and Ice Climbers, who have the biggest issues. Which is why I gave this concept a 10%. (Which is also the lowest I'll give to a veteran's chances.)

Sakurai’s desire to bring back as many characters as possible in order to make people happy shows that he wouldn’t care about the number of non-technical problems Smash fans bring up in regards to veteran character inclusion. He also wouldn’t care if the character is not very popular at all as long as he knows that character has passionate fans. Sakurai is not a businessman when it comes to character decisions. He has never added only popular characters for the sake of being popular. He has added a mix of unpopular and popular in every Smash game to provide variety. This history of decisions show that he is likely not changing his philosophy with deciding characters, even in the case of DLC.

As long as a character has an existing fanbase (whether it be big or minor) who want their reintroduction into Smash 4, then Sakurai will concern himself with their recreation so that their fans can be happy. (Especially in Japan, where they love cut veterans). This is why I see the case of "bringing back as many veterans as possible" possibly being a bigger priority than newcomers for DLC this time around.
I mean, even though I haven't brought it up in here, Delphox actually has a small chance even pre-Ballot because we know they looked at Pokémon from Gen 6 before ultimately deciding on Greninja. Delphox could easily have been one of the other mons they considered, being a fellow starter with an inspired design and magic abilities that'd stand out from the characters already there, and who knows, maybe the idea stuck with them enough to be brought up again when they gave the green light for DLC. What does Young Link have similar to that?
Delphox doesn't have the veteran status like Young Link though, that's the advantage Young Link has over Delphox. If she we're a character heavily promoted by Game Freak right now, I could see her in the game pre-ballot. Out of all the Pokemon he could consider, a popular Pokemon like Hawlucha would probably be chosen over her. (especially when Sakurai has a good grasp of which Gen 6. Pokemon is popular and hot now) Making her more unlikely than Young Link.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I've already reiterated the reason before, veteran status:
Sakurai empathizes with the people whose favorite characters end up missing the cut. I understand that, as someone who was worried about Ike and Lucario not returning. But is that alone a reason for them to give veterans priority over all else, regardless of surrounding circumstances? Would bringing back the least requested veteran, one who happens to be a clone of a character who already has a semi-clone, satiate more fans than someone like Wolf with much heavier request and fewer hangups? Or a newcomer who would have more widespread appeal?

It seems like you're fishing for trump cards here. First the idea of Young Link to promote Majora's Mask 3D, now the idea that veterans automatically have priority. Are you so worried about your arguments being second guessed that you focus exclusively on ones that you think cannot be countered?

D

Deleted member

I agree with @ FalKoopa FalKoopa .
This is an assumption, not a fact. If it is, we need evidence.

I think you're trying too hard here. His relevancy may not have netted him much content in the base game, but it doesn't mean more content from the game can happen. There's DLC to make up for that if he wanted to net more ideas from MM3D such as getting Young Link or Termina Bay back. The Majora's Mask Mii costume is small example of this, and we might get more from this game soon as more DLC packs are announced. It's just like how there was Splatoon content in Smash despite the relevancy being too late for the base game. This is only the beginning of Smash DLC, and there's still we haven't known much of how pre-ballot DLC will generally work.
I am saying that relevancy and promotion are poor reasons to add Young Link. Skull Kid is pretty popular among fans and Majora's Mask is iconic to Zelda fans, it was a missed opportunity to add it. As for the Splatoon content, the game went gold pretty fast and Nintendo has been promoting the hell out of that game. Smash is a good opportunity for them because you have this pretty popular crossover and by having these Mii costumes and a trophy for Splatoon, it would make for good promotion.

I'd argue that this stage was brought back because of the high demand for the stage, just like Dreamland. Ocarina of Time was likely not the main reason this stage was added as DLC.
That is something that I can't argue against because it's 99% true, but it's an OoT stage getting represented in Smash and not a Majora's Mask one.

They would give him the special treatment because they have the time to do so, there were a good amount of moveset aesthetic changes for some of the veterans such as Pit, Olimar, Wario, Luigi, Donkey Kong, Samus, King Dedede. If he can differentiate their movesets a bit during the Smash 4 base game, then he can certainly do so for Young Link, despite him not being planned previously in Brawl. Roy may have had a planned moveset in Brawl, but it doesn't mean Sakurai can't plan a somewhat changed Young Link too for the time he has with DLC. Toon Link being differentiated more is very unlikely of itself.
Though... I realized something...
Sakurai didn't make any major changes to Dr. Mario because he didn't want to alienate Melee fans. He made changes to Roy, but they were planned prior and he still has his mechanics from Melee. With Young Link, changing him too much could alienate fans. So what could Sakurai do? Change a couple of moves here and there... which he already has done with Toon Link. Dr. Mario and Roy still have what characterized them in Melee while Toon Link inherited everything Young Link had in Melee.
So what I am trying to say is this scenario: Sakurai doesn't want to alienate fans by changing Young Link, he would put in most of his mechanics from Melee (weak first hit and stronger second hit for forward smash), then he realizes that everything that made Young Link who he is in Melee is in Toon Link. So, by staying true to Young Link's character, he would have essentially created Toon Link Mk. II, thus creating a much, much more redundant character.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Young Link
Chance: 4%
Want: 15%

Jill
Chance: 2%
Want: 25%

Predictions:
Jean - 4%
Mallo - 5%

Nominations:
Gardevoir x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Arguing isn't going to lead anywhere good, we already know that no one is going to end up changing the others opinion so we should drop it before it gets out of hand.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Sakurai empathizes with the people whose favorite characters end up missing the cut. I understand that, as someone who was worried about Ike and Lucario not returning. But is that alone a reason for them to give veterans priority over all else, regardless of surrounding circumstances? Would bringing back the least requested veteran, one who happens to be a clone of a character who already has a semi-clone, satiate more fans than someone like Wolf with much heavier request and fewer hangups? Or a newcomer who would have more widespread appeal?
I'm not saying they would satiate more fans, I said they would be brought back so that their mains and fans can use them again, regardless of the numerical amount of fans.

It seems like you're fishing for trump cards here. First the idea of Young Link to promote Majora's Mask 3D, now the idea that veterans automatically have priority. Are you so worried about your arguments being second guessed that you focus exclusively on ones that you think cannot be countered?
I'm not saying they are automatic priority, but it's a more possible scenario than the Delphox example you mention. I've always had the idea that veterans gave them an open shot as DLC since I rated Ivysaur, Pichu, Snake, and Squirtle. The promotion was not the most important factor, nor was the clone status, it was the veteran status.

I agree with @ FalKoopa FalKoopa .
This is an assumption, not a fact. If it is, we need evidence.
Any character who gets new moves can generally attract some people's attention into buying the character. There are loads people who want moveset changes for many characters, and giving one to Young Link can be one of the main reasons people buy the character.

I am saying that relevancy and promotion are poor reasons to add Young Link. Skull Kid is pretty popular among fans and Majora's Mask is iconic to Zelda fans, it was a missed opportunity to add it. As for the Splatoon content, the game went gold pretty fast and Nintendo has been promoting the hell out of that game. Smash is a good opportunity for them because you have this pretty popular crossover and by having these Mii costumes and a trophy for Splatoon, it would make for good promotion.
They are not attractive reasons to buy the character to a fan's perspective, but it certainly further benefits the character into getting considered and would provide a good business move to advertise a title that's been highly anticipated by fans since OoT-3D's release. They aren't the most important reason, but it is still beneficial.

Though... I realized something...
Sakurai didn't make any major changes to Dr. Mario because he didn't want to alienate Melee fans. He made changes to Roy, but they were planned prior and he still has his mechanics from Melee. With Young Link, changing him too much could alienate fans. So what could Sakurai do? Change a couple of moves here and there... which he already has done with Toon Link. Dr. Mario and Roy still have what characterized them in Melee while Toon Link inherited everything Young Link had in Melee.
So what I am trying to say is this: Sakurai doesn't want to alienate fans by changing Young Link, he would put in most of his mechanics from Melee (weak first hit and stronger second hit for forward smash), then he realizes that everything that made Young Link who he is in Melee is in Toon Link. So, by staying true to Young Link's character, he would have essentially created Toon Link Mk. II, thus creating a much, much more redundant character.
I don't expect him to change that much, but I do expect that he keeps the same projectile spacing game Link has, but with a few new moves that will differentiate his play style more from Toon Link.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'm not saying they would satiate more fans, I said they would be brought back so that their mains and fans can use them again, regardless of the numerical amount of fans.
The promotion was not the most important factor, nor was the clone status, it was the veteran status.
Any character who gets new moves can generally attract some people's attention into buying the character. There are loads people who want moveset changes for many characters, and giving one to Young Link can be one of the main reasons people buy the character.
I don't expect him to change that much, but I do expect that he keeps the same projectile spacing game Link has, but with a few new moves that will differentiate his play style more from Toon Link.
That's an awful lot of assumptions.

(@ the second one, the assuming that veteran status trumps anything else)

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Some of them are very plausible assumptions when you take general fan reception and evidence (like the articles regarding cut characters) into account.

(@ the second one, the assuming that veteran status trumps anything else)
It's not going to stop third-party issues and technical limitations, but it is certainly a notable possibility that could trump every other factor and could give cut veterans a higher priority.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Young Link
Chance: 2.5%
Could someone tell me why we're rating Young Link again? From what I remember, everything that needed to be said, and more, was said the first time we rated him. Did something happen that I wasn't aware of that could have affected his chances in any positive way? If so, then please tell me. I'll just sum up what I said last time about Young Link. Toon Link pretty much is Young Link as they fill the exact same role. Toon Link even expands that role further because through his alts, he's able to represent all of the classic games as well (something that Young Link can't do as well). Majora's Mask probably doesn't help him much because there was a Fierce Deity pallet swap for Link placed in there to represent the game. I'll give the young Hero of Time a total of 2.5%, which is a 1% drop from my original rating.
A re-rating as redundant as Young Link's inclusion would be...

Want: 5%
I happen to main Toon Link already so he's enough for me. While I wouldn't necessarily be against Young Link's re-inclusion, I personally find it difficult to see the point. Especially since DLC characters are limited.

Jill Valentine
Chance: 0.4%
I don't really know what else to say aside that she's just plain unlikely. She's a third party with very little support from a franchise that doesn't need representation in Nintendo's crossover fighting game. It's really difficult for me to imagine her making the roster at all, let alone as DLC. I'll give the SOA a small score of 0.4%.
She's just one of those characters...

Want: 0.3%
I'm personally not a fan of the Resident Evil franchise, so I have no connection to the character.

Nominations:
x5 Unpopular DLC Character

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The promotion was not the most important factor, nor was the clone status, it was the veteran status.
Wolf's veteran status didn't save him with this so called priority you speak of for vets.

I may or may not eat my words in a few months, but we're talking about right now.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Wolf's veteran status didn't save him with this so called priority you speak of for vets.

I may or may not eat my words in a few months, but we're talking about right now.
Time constraints is something that veterans can likely not deal with in the base game, but it's no longer an issue in the case of DLC since the base game is done.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Time constraints is something that veterans can likely not deal with in the base game, but it's no longer an issue in the case of DLC since the base game is done.
Wolf has as of current skipped the pre ballot DLC.

There is a real possibility that he could be omitted, but I'm not going to argue that right now and leave it at that veteran priority is somewhat fallacious.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
It's my birthday and I've done other things so no elaboration today

Young Link's chances: 10%

Jill Valentine's chances: 1%
Want: 20%

Jean prediction: 0.78%
Mallo prediction: 9.13%

Nominations: Corrin x5

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's too early to say that Wolf could be skipped you know. :3
Seeing as everyone and their mother expected Wolf several times in the past, particularly after Lucas, there is basis to say that the possibility exists. He skipped two chances; third time's the charm.

And besides, it's too early to say nearly anything DLC related, by that logic.

Now I stop, this was something I really feel needed addressing.

It's my birthday
heppy burfday son

Last edited:

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
JILL VALENTINE:
CHANCE: 0%
Even if you disregard the M-rated objection, the fact remains that Ryu has a KO'd the chances of any more Capcom character hopefuls​
No it didn't:
"From now until the end, it is going to be fan service"-- Sakurai
Hypothetically speaking, IF Jill had the support to compete with the likes of King K. Rool, that argument you just made wouldn't have held any weight to it.

Jill Valentine
Chance: 1%
Infact, it doesn't hold any weight at all because of that statement. But Jill still doesn't sand a chance because of the lack of support and probably requests.

Want: 5%
She's a female character, but I don't have any connections to her.

Young Link

Chance: 3%
VERY few people want him to return as he was in Melee.

Want: 30%
And neither do I, but what can I say, he's still a Zelda character, so even if he did return as nothing more than a full blown clone of Toon Link, I'd get over it eventually.

Nominations:
New Mii fighter class( Mii Lancer, Mii Dual Wielder) x3
Chrom costume change for Roy x2

Top Bottom