• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Duck Hunt Dog

Likelihood: 10% - As far as retro characters go, there seems to be a general consensus that Takamaru will be the one chosen this time around. But still, it's not like he doesn't have a shot.
Want: 20% - Out of the "likely" retro characters, I'd want Mach Rider the most because I feel he'd be a more unique character than DHD. I would however really like a Duck Hunt stage instead.

Ghirahim: 30%

Nominations:
Ashley x5

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
By the way, music time! Since Duck Hunt had a quite number of memorable tracks- oh wait. Uh. Guess I'll improvise then. Heh.

Duck Hunt Remix - My Very First Laser Gun

... Uh... Well, since both Wii Party and Sports kinda have shooting test games of some sort...

Wii Party - Menu Theme
Wii Sports Resort - Title Screen

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

EDIT: Thanks to Arcadenik for the suggestion! Here's another for DHD:

Hogan's Alley Remix - Gunslinger
Super Scope 6 - Menu Theme

Also, I think this could be another theme for Meowth: Team Galactic Battle! (Brawl)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog
Chances - 7.5%
It's tough to make a call here because when it comes to retro reps out-guessing Sakurai is a difficult game to play. After R.O.B., most suggestions for retro characters just make me want to throw my hands in the air and go "sure, whatever. It could happen." So I'm giving this character a very moderate chance, EVEN THOUGH like others I doubt Nintendo would be ok with the idea of having a moveset based around shooting ducks or flinging dead ducks around.
Now, a stage ... THAT I could see as more likely.

Want 50%
Very indifferent. Remembering the game fondly makes me mind it not that much, but also I'm not holding my breath for it.

Predictions
Ghirahim - 14%
I think he'll do ok, but not FABULOUS.

Nominations
x5 Ashley

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Duck Hunt stage should have music from other NES Zapper games as well... Wild Gunman and Hogan's Alley... and music from Super Scope games like BattleClash and Super Scope 6.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mr. Peepers, AKA The Duck Hunt Dog

Chance - 10% - He may be famous and/or popular, he does not seem like the retro addition Sakurai would make. If I remember right, he said that he considers himself the "luckiest man in the world," for being able to bring obscure characters to the spotlight. DHD is about the exact opposite of that.

Want - 5% - And you know what? I agree with him. I would rather show people an undiscovered gem for a retro spot than give it to someone this famous. I'd be happy if he appeared as a stage or an Assist Trophy (useless or helpful), but as a playable character he gets a down vote from me.

Also, his supporters don't know his real name. That just gives off the feel that he was a troll character that got actual bandwagon support.

Ghirahim Prediction - 12% - "Zant 2.0" may be superior to his predecessors, but he still is quite low.

Nominations
Anna X3
Ridley X2

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog
Chance: 0% - He was background character from a game that was only played because it was bundled with a Mario game. Years later he got a small cult following.
Want: 0% - He's not welcome here.

Ghirahim prediction: 33%

Nominations: Chrom and Lucina team x5.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Mr. Peepers, AKA The Duck Hunt Dog

Chance - 10% - He may be famous and/or popular, he does not seem like the retro addition Sakurai would make. If I remember right, he said that he considers himself the "luckiest man in the world," for being able to bring obscure characters to the spotlight. DHD is about the exact opposite of that.

Want - 5% - And you know what? I agree with him. I would rather show people an undiscovered gem for a retro spot than give it to someone this famous. I'd be happy if he appeared as a stage or an Assist Trophy (useless or helpful), but as a playable character he gets a down vote from me.

Also, his supporters don't know his real name. That just gives off the feel that he was a troll character that got actual bandwagon support.
Duck Hunt Dog's lack of name is not a bad thing. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer have no names. They are named based on what they are instead.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Duck Hunt Dog's lack of name is not a bad thing. Villager and Wii Fit Trainer have no names. They are named based on what they are instead.
Read again. He does have a name. The fact that people do not know that his name is Mr. Peepers is what annoys me, not the fact that he does not have one.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Duck hunt dog

Chance 15%: honestly id say that we are going to get another character as suprising as wii fit trainer, ROB, and mr game and watch, so he could work. As for takamaru, well each game besides 64 has had more than 1 retro character, Ice climbers and mr. g & w, and ROB and pit.
So him and Takamaru could work as retro, one as a suprising one (duck hunt dog, much like ROB and G & W), and one as a regular one (takamaru, like pit and ice climbers)

As for little mac, well he could work as a misc. character, not a retro

Want: 100% WOuld be so so so so so fun

Ghirahim
13%

Nominations
Rayman x5

Yams

Smash Journeyman
THE DAY FOR DUCK HUNT DOG IS HERE!!!
I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY AND ANYONE WHO NOMINATED DUCK HUNT DOG. WE WOULDN'T BE HERE WITHOUT YOU GUYS, SO STAY BEAUTIFUL.

Duck Hunt Dog :')
Likelihood: 20% I think the Dog is one of the most underestimated candidates ever. People just view him as this annoying character when he represents so much more than that. The Dog represents:
-All the NES accessories (Zapper, Power Glove, etc.)
-One of the best selling NES games
-One of the most iconic Nintendo characters of all time
-A different genre of games
The only Retro character I find more likely than Duck Hunt Dog is Takamaru (Little Mac is misc.). Sakurai has been denying a lot of other classic character such as Excite Biker, Balloon Fighter, Sukapon, etc. He seems like a perfect character choice, but I put him at a 20% due do his lack of representation in the Smash series thus far. The biggest thing the Duck Hunt series had received is a Trophy in Melee. It makes me feel like Sakurai barely considers the Duck Hunt series worthy of having much representation in Smash. But, in Melee, Pit and ROB had a trophy and no representation respectively. So, who really knows. I find him to be an excellent choice from a character standpoint, but who knows what Sakurai is thinking. I hope the dog is at least considered.

Want: 100% As you can tell, the Duck Hunt Dog is my most wanted character. I would be very happy to see him. I'd be okay with someone like Sheriff or Sukapon, but I would never be as happy about them as I would be for the Duck Hunt Dog.

Ghirahim: 10.5%

Sukapon x5

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Read again. He does have a name. The fact that people do not know that his name is Mr. Peepers is what annoys me, not the fact that he does not have one.
I guess you learn something new every day.

Duck Hunt Dog: 0.85%
In the game Duck Hunt, you play as a hunter who shoots ducks. The dog pops up after every round to notify you whether or not you killed all of the ducks. This is a mostly redundant feature thanks to the text box that pops up right before the dog if any ducks flew away that round. The dog is sort of just... there. Like Tingle, except your dog doesn't give you any items and doesn't have his own spinoff game.

Want: 0.0%
Duck Hunt Dog's popularity seems to mostly stem from the "meme" that he's a jerk who laughs at the player for failing to brutally massacre pixellated waterfowl, rather than any actual merits of the game itself. I never shared this sentiment with the propagators of this meme, which I do not find humorous.

Ghirahim prediction: 15.9%

Nominate:
Tetra AND Toon Zelda x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Duck Hunt Dog

Chance: 2%
His chances arent too good. I dont see Nintendo allowing their characters to beat on a dog.

Want: 5%
His laugh was funny the first time, but I spent more time trying to fire bullets at him, point blank, than I did trying to hit ducks.

Ghirahim: 13.33%

Nominations:
Rayman x5

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
But that is not his name. He doesn't have a name.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
But that is not his name. He doesn't have a name.
Ah... turns out you're right.

The name "Mr. Peepers" comes from a mistake from a Nintendo World Report article during an interview about Kid Icarus. While it is now fixed thanks to the Nintendo Database Forums, this information spread before it was fixed. Just goes to show how checking facts can avoid arguments!

Still does not change my opinion on him, however. I'd still say someone more obscure should be put in to be in, as he can be just as well represented in other ways while other retros could be said to benefit more.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Duck Hunt Dog will be renamed Dog for his appearance. And that will be his actual name from now on. The Duck Hunter actually named him Dog. It shouldn't be a surprise, since he is a pretty bad pet owner.

Chance - 15%
Just the type of WTF decision Sakurai would make. His chances are still pretty low, but Duck Hunt is one of the iconic Nintendo games along with Kid Icarus. It enjoys much of the same status. And for his appearance, he walks on two legs and uses the Zapper. Calling it now.

To complete my crazy Miyamoto and Yokoi theory (in which the two retro characters added are Miyamoto and Yokoi characters, with the Yokoi character being a WTF), I predict Muddy Mole and the Duck Hunt Dog. Matches with Ice Climber and Mr. Game and Watch in Melee, Pit (produced both by Miyamoto and Yokoi) and R.O.B. in Brawl.

Want - 100%
Duck Hunt is one of the iconic NES title I played as a kid. Would love to see it.

Ghirahim - 16.89%

Nominations -
Wonder Red x 5

ErictheLone

Smash Apprentice
DHD/Mr. Peepers/'Dog'

Chance: 15% - He has some stiff competition in the retro category, but he has an outside shot.

Want: 80% So many Jamies would be wrestled, it would be glorious

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Duck Hunt Dog: 8%
I don't think any retro is likely besides Takamaru.
Want: 0% :urg: Too annoying and reminds me of a bad rip-off of the Looney Toons.

Ghirahim: 15.5%

5x Wolf

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Duck Hunt Dog - 0%
I feel like DHD's chances are generally overestimated. I mean, c'mon, he's almost entirely known for one image of him laughing at people. That's it. About the only reason he even enters the discussion is because he's retro, and common wisdom is that Sakurai will add at least one retro for whatever reason. Even then, there are at least some other retros that make sense as fighters, while DHD is...well, a dog. Who laughs at people. As a joke assist trophy, sure, I can see it happening. As a playable character? That's a heck of a stretch, and considering I just gave a 0% to Meowth for being a similarly long shot, I'm going to stay consistent and give the same rating to the Dog.
Want - 0% - Does absolutely nothing for me.

Ghirahim Prediction - 12.5
Ghirahim is to SSB4 what Zant is to Brawl. He's a one-off Zelda villain that doesn't really have a chance, but he's cool enough that users want to believe in him anyway.

Nominations
Black Shadow x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
The game Duck Hunt is somewhat likely and definitely deserving of a stage.

as far as characters go, Duck Hunt Dog is just much less likely than most characters we've rated, and a few retro choices who we haven't even rated yet. He just isn't appealing to most Smash fans, and Nintendo kind of abandoned his relevance a long time ago.

5%

predict Ghirahim 39%

nom Wonder Red x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Duck Hunt Dog
Likelihood: 2%
There is a possibility of Sakurai throwing a curveball, but I really doubt Sakurai would legitimately consider him. There are a good number of other NES reps, such as Takamaru (who has been getting a lot of attention as of late), Mach Rider (got a trophy in Melee), Donbe & Hikari (who got a remix in Brawl).

What did we get from Duck Hunt in Melee and Brawl? A trophy of the ducks.

Want: 0%
I'd be really pissed if he gets in. No thanks.

Ghirahim prediction: 19%
The MUH RELEVANCY group will rate him highly. But he has mostly been dropped from rosters.

Ashley (WarioWare) x 5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Duck Hunt Dog:
Chance: 25%
I'm more optimistic than most for Duck Hunt Dog's chances. I don't see Takamaru as a shoo-in like 90% of the board(Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendoland references? He's a cert!), but I'm also aware there's a large pool of other characters that could be considered for retro rep:
Lip, Mach Rider, Prince Sable, Sheriff...errr...Donbe and Hikari?
Okay, seriously though with the most obvious choice seemingly deconfirmed, Balloon Fighter, Duck Hunt Dog is probably the most recognised retro face from all the above. I'm from the UK too, never owned a NES(Was a sega boy originally), and I knew of this dog. None of my friends had Duck Hunt either, so the fact I knew about him prior to the internet says something about his infamous laugh and look.
So he has being instantly recognisable as something going for him. I'm aware that's not a huge factor in Smash, see Lucas/Marth/Game and Watch/Ice Climbers, but already being a Nintendo All Star(aka; recognisable by everyday people, not just Nintendo fans) despite only having one game has got to be worth a decent chance.

Want: 95%
Yup. I want Duck Hunt Dog more than I want another dull blue haired swordsman. Sue me. People actually remembered this guy before Nintendoland came out. It might not be fun memories for everyone, but I find seeing a unique moveset for Duck Hunt Dog a heck of a lot more interesting than a samurai.
He's unique, he's hugely polarizing and an instantly recognisable face, even if that face is laughing at your stupid face.

Ghiraham: Predicting a 5.3% for the latest Zelda villain. Most seem to think the Zelda roster is fine as is.

Nominations:

X 5 Andy(Advance Wars)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Duck Hunt Dog:

Likelihood: 20% - I feel most people rate him lower than he should be, he is afterall one of the more iconic video game characters and would be a good retro pick. However, retro characters are always fishy.

Want: 10% - Not really a big fan of the idea.

Ghirahim Prediction: 18%

Nominations:
5x Toad

Forde

Smash Cadet
Duck Hunt Dog

Likelihood: 10% Would be much better as a Assist Trophy.

Want: 10% Not really into him as a fighter, but would be cool to see him incorporated somehow.

Ghirahim Prediction: 27%

Nominations:
Cloud Strife x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
So he's going to throw ducks at you, or what? What the **** does Duck Hunt Dog bring to the table?

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Most people seem to picture him incorporating Nintendo peripherals such as the Zapper into his moveset.

Aside from that...catching frisbees? I dunno.

Duck Hunt Dog:

Chance: 5% (and that is being generous)

I STILL don't know why people recommend him, I guess they just want to beat him up.

As for Ghirahim:

Chance: 45% (his popularity is very much out there to see)
Want: 95% (he was such an awesome character)

Nominations:
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x2
Soma Cruz x1
Andy x2

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
At first, I hated the idea of having Duck Hunt Dog in the game, but after playing Crusade, Crusade conviced me of how unique and fun he really is.

Before playing Crusade:
Likelyhood: 10%

After playing Crusade:
Likelyhood: 15%
Want: 100%

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Toon Link was just confirmed, so he can be happily removed from the veteran rankings! :D (I always knew we rated him way too low with the amount of effort put into The Wind Waker HD). A Pokemon character is most likely the next character confirmed, so if we want to rerate anyone before then, now's the time to start nominating!

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Assuming we're any good at rating (and we're probably not) today's news may mean something:

14. Toon Link (The Legend of Zelda) 62.3% chance, 64.54% want

If we continue the flawed logic anything over 62.3% is in that means we should expect:

Mr. Game and Watch (Game and Watch): 99.50% chance, 90.51% wan
Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) 98.90% chance, 90.62% want
Ice Climbers (Ice Climber): 98.14% chance, 88.28% want
Jigglypuff (Pokemon): 96.15% chance, 79.06% want
R.O.B. (Robot): 95.44% chance, 80.06% want
Falco Lombardi (Star Fox): 94.69% chance, 74.74% want
Mewtwo (Pokémon) 90.22% chance, 88.34% want
Lucas (Mother) 87.03% chance, 80.04% want
Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog) 84.56% chance, 80.75% want
Pokemon Trainer Red (Pokemon): 81.38% chance, 71.88% want
Ike (Fire Emblem) 78.58% chance, 73.48% want
Solid Snake (Metal Gear): 66.12% chance, 69.00% want
Lucario (Pokemon): 65.42% chance, 68.71% want

And for newcomers:

Little Mac (Punch-Out!!): 83.59% chance, 73.22% want
Palutena (Kid Icarus): 76.35% chance, 77.22% want
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) 72.48% chance, 78.57% want
Ridley (Metroid): DAY 44: (69.95% chance, 84.13% want); DAY 3: (71.1% chance, 78.73% want)
Chrom (Fire Emblem): 69.65% chance, 57.27% want

Looks pretty fair, though my opinions of Palutena have dropped considerably over the last few months, I think she'd do far worse on a re-vote...

Groose

Smash Champion
Assuming we're any good at rating (and we're probably not) today's news may mean something:

14. Toon Link (The Legend of Zelda) 62.3% chance, 64.54% want

If we continue the flawed logic anything over 62.3% is in that means we should expect:

Mr. Game and Watch (Game and Watch): 99.50% chance, 90.51% wan
Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda) 98.90% chance, 90.62% want
Ice Climbers (Ice Climber): 98.14% chance, 88.28% want
Jigglypuff (Pokemon): 96.15% chance, 79.06% want
R.O.B. (Robot): 95.44% chance, 80.06% want
Falco Lombardi (Star Fox): 94.69% chance, 74.74% want
Mewtwo (Pokémon) 90.22% chance, 88.34% want
Lucas (Mother) 87.03% chance, 80.04% want
Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog) 84.56% chance, 80.75% want
Pokemon Trainer Red (Pokemon): 81.38% chance, 71.88% want
Ike (Fire Emblem) 78.58% chance, 73.48% want
Solid Snake (Metal Gear): 66.12% chance, 69.00% want
Lucario (Pokemon): 65.42% chance, 68.71% want

And for newcomers:

Little Mac (Punch-Out!!): 83.59% chance, 73.22% want
Palutena (Kid Icarus): 76.35% chance, 77.22% want
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong) 72.48% chance, 78.57% want
Ridley (Metroid): DAY 44: (69.95% chance, 84.13% want); DAY 3: (71.1% chance, 78.73% want)
Chrom (Fire Emblem): 69.65% chance, 57.27% want

Looks pretty fair, though my opinions of Palutena have dropped considerably over the last few months, I think she'd do far worse on a re-vote...

I've said it before: the point of this game is to see how wrong we are come launch. I doubt all of those characters will get in the game.

Before Brawl, Krystal often scored in the 70% range, even popping into the 80's on occasion. And we all know that we were wrong with that one.

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
It is not the fact that Toon Link was confirmed which surprises me, but the point in time in which he was revealed. I mean yeah, Wind Waker HD is out in stores now, but he was a secret character in Brawl! Does this mean that he no longer is unlockable but rather a starer character?

Well anyways...

Duck Hunt Dog

Chance: 12 %
He would follow the trend of retro-character associated with a peripheral (Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., etc.) however we already have another character associated with a peripheral (Wii Fit Trainer) so I don't think his entry is guaranteed or even likely.

Want: 10 %
It would be funny to beat him up, but that's about it. Incorporating the zapper into his moveset seems out of character and otherwise I can't help but feel he would be a bit boring to play as.

Ghirahim Prediction: 14 %

Nominations: Daisy x 5

D

Deleted member

I've said it before: the point of this game is to see how wrong we are come launch. I doubt all of those characters will get in the game.
If I was around to rate Toon Link, I would have given him a 53% chance and a 0% want. So, seeing Toon Link caught me off guard in that sense...

Now I'm more curious about how Ghirahim's day will turn out.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129

Before Brawl, Krystal often scored in the 70% range, even popping into the 80's on occasion. And we all know that we were wrong with that one.

Quite right, though I think with how many characters are getting revealed at the moment I wouldn't be surprised if we find our selves very wrong before the game's release.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt Dog

Chance: 9%
His chances are low. He'd be more likely as a assist trophy but thats all i can see. Playable character status i can't see happening

Want: 100%
I love a**holes who laugh at people when they lose. Thats what i like doing. I just like his demeanor so much that i want to play as him.

Ghirahim Prediction: 8% i don't know who the hell he is.

Nom: x5 Pauline (Super Mario Bros.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom