• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Can you give me a source on the first sentence?

Why does your second sentence matter?
"Different costumes, he said, would take away from what makes each character unique. "
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/wii-u-and-3ds-smash-bros-will-not-have-cross-platform-play-wil/

SS uses a hybrid of toon shading and OoT's art syle. OoT uses a less realistic art style, as seen in OoT 3D. TP uses a more realistic style and really dark tones. Each of the characters have different heights and looks, so it would be very different from switching between Wario's costumes. That would require three different models. More programming. That's why it matters. He hasn't done so for past games, and is willing to edit designs (as seen by Link), rather than use a design he doesn't want to.

There's no reason why he would stick to SS Zelda.
If anything, I'd see Sheik actually borrowing elements from SS Impa into her design. Considering, of course, that they actually use Zelda's SS design at all, which by the looks of it doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.
That would be awesome actually.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Impa chances: 20%. She's appeared in the latest Zelda game, giving her an advantage over Sheik. She'd also be able to free up an extra move slot for both Zelda and Sheik. However, I don't consider her important enough to actually be included as a newcomer - which, as she takes up a character slot, she actually is - and her replacing Sheik as Zelda's transformation would make no sense at all. Also, Ocarina of Time's remake makes her a lot more relevant than people think - yeah, the game was released quite a bit before Skyward Sword, but Sheik's last appearance wasn't exactly "over a decade ago" as people keep claiming.

Want: 0%. Seriously, no. Just no.

Bowser Junior chances: 80%. He's easily the most likely Mario rep, and I'd say the series deserves at least one new character, especially since it actually lost one from Melee to Brawl (no, Wario doesn't count as he represents his own series). He's a hell of a lot better than that ****ing mushroom, at least, and would have great moveset potential )and to the people who say "he'd just be a Bowser clone," not only is this ****ing stupid and completely false, but also a ****ty argument anyway, since you do realise being a clone makes a character more likely, right?)

Want: 90%. Yes please

Meowth prediction: 40%.

Ganon X 5

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But there was a OoT Zelda costume in Brawl. As well as a Dark Link costume.

Guess Link and Zelda are no longer unique now. :urg:

I'm having fun reading these comments though.

>Impa is not important
>Let's keep Sheik

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
But there was a OoT Zelda costume in Brawl. As well as a Dark Link costume.

Guess Link and Zelda are no longer unique now. :urg:

I'm having fun reading these comments though.

>Impa is not important
>Let's keep Sheik
Both of those are palette changes. Meaning that they just simply change the color on the model.

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Impa

Likelihood: 15% - I don't really believe we're gonna see another Zelda rep. If that's the case, Impa is a candidate, but I don't think she's the most likely candidate

Want: 10% - Honestly don't want her

Bowser Junior

Likelihood: 70% - Now that Toad is practically uncofirmed and we have all the past Mario reps (except for Dr Mario), I think we're definetely seeing a nwe Mario rep, and he is the most likely

Want: 100% - Yes, please!

Meowth: 4%

Primid x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sakurai is an idiot if he doesn't take advantage of the massive opportunity that different costumes presents for putting in similar characters without filling the roster with clones.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Quick post since update is any minute now and I've got 10 extra nominations to give to Black Shadow! :D

Impa - 10%
I've talked about my opinions on Zelda candidates numerous times here: in summary, few have a genuinely good chance aside from Toon Zelda. Still, credit to Impa, she's had appearances in many games and her most recent appearance in Skyward Sword puts her as an ideal replacement for Sheik. Still, that assumes we actually want/need a replacement for Sheik, who as far as I know is still a very well liked character among both Zelda and Smash fans. Should Sakurai pursue the route of retiring Sheik, this is the best way to do it, but I think we have a far stronger chance we simply keep Sheik.
Want - 0% - I'd much prefer to keep Sheik, even if that means Sheik and Zelda never get proper down specials.

Bowser Junior - 50%
With Toad seemingly out of the picture, both Junior and Paper Mario rise in chance somewhat as their best competition is gone. Still far from clear which would prevail, and technically Waluigi or someone else could still pop up, but I'm comfortable pushing Junior's chances up to 50%.
Want - 50% - I'd rather have Paper Mario, but I have to say, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Junior appearing and showing off his unique skills (paintbrush!).

Meowth Prediction - 7.5%
Hasn't really had a chance since maybe Melee, but at least he's got his ongoing importance in the anime to lean on.

Nominations
Black Shadow x15 (!!!)

(And quick post still took like 10 minutes. So much for that!)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Impa time!

Likelihood: 10%
I don't think we'll be seeing an expansion in the Zelda roster.

Want: 0%
After the constant wars over her in the past, I've grown to loathe her potential inclusion. Plus, if she were to take out Sheik by being put in, I'd be a bit ticked off.

Bowser Jr. time? Must be a new timezone...

Likelihood: 70%
I think his chances have gone up a bit due to recent events.

Want: 89%
He'd be cool.

Predicting an 8.6 for Meowth.

Nominating Wolf x5

Groose

Smash Champion
Impa: 10%
Does Impa warrant a spot as her own character? She is recurring. She's not the most popular of characters, but she is always there and she isn't hated like a certain other recurring Zelda character.

The problem with this is that Impa just isn't iconic and obvious enough. By that, I mean she has gone through several drastically different designs and roles in game. Sometimes she's just Zelda's nurse, sometimes she's a badass bodyguard. Her designs are so different that none of them have become famous. Show someone Impa's design, and, unless if they've played that particular installment in the Zelda franchise, I doubt they'll get a reaction. Show a picture of Tingle to someone... and chances are that they'll burn it with fire, even if they haven't even played Zelda before.

I may also point out that Impa's appearence count has often been a bit exaggerated. She appeared in the first two Zelda games... but only in the manual. And... she was an old lady that's pretty much the polar opposite of the modern Impa. I don't really factor these in much.

Now... Impa could get in by taking Sheik's place. I find this plausible; if SS Zelda is used, there's a solid 50/50 chance that Impa replaces Sheik. But... I don't think they will go with SS Zelda. They didn't go with SS Link, after all. If they use a composite Zelda... I suppose Impa could replace Sheik, but I doubt it.

So... all in all, Impa just doesn't quite warrant much as a character of her own. She could definitely replace Sheik, but even that is iffy.

Impa Want: 60%
Part of me would be thrilled to play with Impa. She's a cool character in the Zelda universe. But I'd rather play as either Ghirahim or Tingle, and they're both competition.

Part of me is also concerned that replacing Sheik with Impa would make Zelda herself look weaker; she'd be the only character in the game with another person actually coming to her rescue.

Ah, but I'd take pretty much any Zelda newcomer, and Impa is one of the best left.

Bowser Jr. 50%
So much has last changed since my last rating, which was in the 20% range. Now, however, prime competitor Toad is on the ropes, giving Jr. the title of most likely Mario newcomer (in my eyes, at least). They've also been revealing Mario characters left and right; that makes a newcomer more likely than before in my eyes.

But it's more than that. I've been thinking about Nintendo as a whole. Recently, they've been relying more and more upon Mario. Mario has grown and grown to the point where it really can handle a new character. More importantly, secondary Mario characters are more notable in overall fame and popularity than primary characters from other, smaller franchises. If Nintendo wishes to add a character familiar to the general public... Mario (or maybe Pokemon) is the series to turn to.

Paper Mario has never been a threat in my eyes, as he isn't as recognizable as main series Mario (and the main point of adding a Mario character is to add familiar faces). Waluigi... is a threat, but not a major one. Oh, and one can never count out the good 'ol Doctor.

Yeah... but it's gotten to the point where I really expect a Mario newcomer, and Bowser Jr. is the prime suspect.

Bowser Jr. Want: 85%
Eh. I was a Jr. supporter shortly before the DDoS. But... the day of the DDoS, I had prepared a brief speech explaining why I was switching my support from Bowser Jr. to Toad. Now obviously that is messed up, but I haven't fully been able to rally behind the Koopa Prince again.

Meowth Prediction: 8.54%
Pokemon is the most crowded field of all.

Phoenix Wright x5
TAKE THAT!

DAY OVER
RETURN OF GROOSE

Groose

Smash Champion
Impa (Legend of Zelda)
18.81% chance
28.61% want

Impa narrowly beat out Tingle in both chance and want, but was destroyed by Tetra in both categories.

Bowser Jr. (Super Mario)
56.43% chance (formerly 43.44%)
68.16% (formerly 56.48%)

Bowser Jr. improved by roughly 10% in both areas since his first rating, which was about two months ago. He has now siezed the number nine spot in chance and the number six spot in want. Woohoo!

Today we will be rating Meowth, the top cat. Please leave your chance and want for everyone's favorite talking Pokemon.

Today belongs to Nintendo's top cat; tomorrow belongs to Nintendo's top dog. Please predict how the Duck Hunt Dog will fare in tomorrow's game. Glaciacottwins five extra nominations today.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Sakurai is an idiot if he doesn't take advantage of the massive opportunity that different costumes presents for putting in similar characters without filling the roster with clones.
I heavily disagree with this statement. The whole point of this game is to add in the all-stars. The characters that get in this game are Nintendo's most important ones and adding in a whole bunch of less important characters because they are similar takes away from the individuality of those characters deserving to get in the game as well as the defeats the purpose of the original character getting in under their own merit. Not only that but it's saying that the similar character isn't unique or even worth trying to make a moveset for them.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Meowth: 28%. Meowth is wonderful and would fit so greatly with the cast. Sadly, I don't think Sakurai likes him too much, as he's only been a pokeball and trophy, and even then not a very good pokeball. However, being a heavily recurring PKMN character, Meowth probably has the best chance of all.

Want: 100%

Duck Hunt Dog (WOOT!) - 7.5

D

Deleted member

I'm so glad that Bowser Jr. rose 10% in both areas! Congrats to the Koopa Prince!
Yesterday was pretty messy... hopefully this day will be a lot better.
Meowth
Chance: 30%
I will be a bit optimistic with this score. One thing that Meowth suffers from is mainly competition among other highly wanted Pokemon newcomers and is overshadowed by Mewtwo, Lucario, and even potential newcomer Zoroark in the Smash scene. However, you cannot deny Meowth's popularity. Thanks to the anime, its popularity is still very much alive where Sakurai can't really ignore Meowth. In fact, on Brawl's DOJO!! website, Sakurai even states that Meowth is a major Pokemon. I'm pretty sure that Meowth has fan demand and a moveset is definitely possible. If people think that being a Poke Ball Pokemon is a negative thing that could hurt its chances, might I remind you that Charizard was a Poke Ball Pokemon in the original and Melee and now it's a part of the Pokemon Trainer, so who's to say the same can't happen to Meowth? Anyway, I think Meowth has decent chances, but I don't find it to be a definite standout.
Want: 50%
I don't hate Meowth, but I'm not a big fan of Meowth (I used one in FireRed... I wasn't too pleased with it) and I am unsure if I really want it in SSB4 or if it's even a really good idea. So, I'm just going to say that 50% is good enough.
Duck Hunt Dog: 2.37%
I am not confident in the Duck Hunt Dog at all. I just wonder how the Want percentages will look like...
Nominations: Little Mac 3x, Captain Rainbow 2x

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Meowth (dat's right!) time!

Likelihood: 4.9%
Almost a five! Realistically, Meowth has too much competition.

Want: 40%
He's one cool cat.

Prediction for Dog: 10.2%

Nominating Wolf x5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Meowth:

Chance: 5%
I'm sorry, but he's not important in the games, and they have plots now-a-days... the Anime makes a big difference in popularity, but I don't think Meowth has the same popularity as a good chunk of his competition (Mewtwo wins that one hands down). And that's the problem for almost any Pokémon, there are over 650 other characters vying for the slot; some don't stand a chance (Vanilluxe, Burmy, Omastar...), actually, most don't, and Meowth is probably the top of the list of no chancers...
That said, he is pretty much the only Pokémon who would make sense as an Assist Trophy.. Pokémon probably doesn't need one with the Pokéballs, but it'd be interesting to see.

Wants: 50%
That said, I quite like the cool cat, and he'd probably have a cool moveset with his moving between feline movements and his more 2-legged approach. I'd prefer the slot be for characters I feel more worthy, but I wouldn't complain at seeing him in there.

Duck Hunt Dog: 20%
NES had a very different (see: botched) release in the UK to the US, and so I don't really know the significance of Duck Hunt first hand; but the character looks cool enough, and like a fun retro WTF character, so I'll predict a fifth.
I will be abstaining my vote tomorrow because of my inability to make an informed decision.

Knuckles*5
(Team Sonic represent, yo!)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Meowth

Chance; 7.9%
Too much competition man. Too much.

Want: 2%
Nah.

Duck Hunt Dog: 13.5%

Noms:
Ephraim x5
#EphraimBeforeAnna2013

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Meowth
Chance 5%: Honestly pokemon is really hard to predict, and he faces competition with a ton of other pokemon, such as jigglypuff, pokemon trainer, lucario, mewtwo, zoroark, genesect, and a ton of other pokemon trainers. If Meowth was going to be in smash, he would already have been in it.

Want 5%: I dont have anything against him, but i would really want the pokemon cast to be:
Pikachu
Pokemon trainer
Jigglypuff
lucario
mewtwo
I would even love for zoroark, or a hoenn trainer to be in, but thats not likely

Predictions:
Duck hunt dog: 7%

Nominations:
rayman x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
MEOWTH DATS RIGHT

Chance: 24%
Meowth's an awesome Pokemon, and one who I personally feel got robbed within smash. More important than Puff, more important than Pichu, and probably would have been better recieved than either had he gotten in when he should have; Smash 64.

He fits in with Smash Bros. more than anyone can say; hell, the star KO's are basically a trademark of the anime Meowth, and he's the closest thing Pikachu has to a rival/villain/anti villain(I'm not really sure what to class the scratch cat as).

However, he may have missed his chance. There is always hope, of course, and of the Kanto Pokemon not from Smash so far, I'd say Meowth is one of the better, popular and more wanted Pokemon alongside my least favourite Pokemon; Eevee. But unfortunately that's not saying much.

With every new Smash game Meowth has to compete with 200+ more of those catchable monsters for a place, and whilst the anime brings him above the likes of say...I dunno, Zoroark and Genesect in terms of recognisability, people are worried that the other gens aren't getting enough attention and thus the recency clause kicks in.

I worry that Sakurai feels the same, hence why Pichu and Lucario, arguably the two most popular Pokemon from the then current gen secured a placement on the Smash roster. For this reason alone I feel Meowth's chances are rather low. Add that he has to compete with the true top cat Mewtwo, and the fact the Pokemon roster is already bulging and you can see the problem.

Want: 100%
I'll be honest with you; since Smash 64 I've only wanted two characters this badly: Toad and Meowth. You can imagine how irritating this can be, seeing as neither have managed to make it in thus far, but every new Smash game I support them both. Because I feel both characters are timeless, worldly recognised and decently popular to warrant a Smash spot.

Maybe if it wasn't for the Star KO's I'd be less passionate about Meowth, or maybe if I didn't want to kick Pikachu's ass with Meowth so bad just so he could finally secure a win over his eternal opponent I'd be less excited by the idea of Meowth as a playable character, but he's just such a quirky, lovable, instant star character I can't help myself.

If Pokemon gets six spots for whatever reason, I really hope Meowth gets in over newcomers that will be forgotten next gen. Remember Deoxys? His popularity died down...Meowth's is eternal because of his role in the anime and more importantly; people's childhoods.

Duck Hunt Dog: 32.3%
Some hate him, some love him, but just like Meowth, this guy is instantly recognisable the world over, and he hasn't even had a game in years. That's gotta be worth more than a piddly 20% or below.

Nominations...
Andy X 5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Meowth: 5%, that's right!
want: 70% better then the jiggs.

DuckHD: 12.5

noms:
Lucariox3
Phoenix wright x2

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Meowth: 15% of the actual pokemon NEWCOMERS, note, that does not include mewtwo, Meowth is one of the most likely, I mean, he might have a better chance then Sylveon any way....

Also seriously, if any of you think lack of relevancy in the GAMES is a huge problem for his chances you are kidding yourself (Pikachu says hi.) The anime and other forms of advertisement are basically the only ****ing thing that's actually a factor for ANY of these guys.
Want: 70% Not my most wanted pokemon newcomer, but if he ends up feeling any thing like jigglypuff then **** yeah
Duck Hunt Dog: Seems like a really weird choice but eh, retro character, could happen. 11.2%
Nomz:
Oma- Oh wait he has 69 nominations... I'll stop there >:3 or not. OK but seriously, we ARE reaching that nice little point where almost none of the characters left on the nomination list actually have much of a chance. I mean Girahim and stuff isn't THAT bad but if that's the best we got then... *shiver* I mean... >:D
Omastar x2
Bulborb x2
Wonder Red x1

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Meowth:

Chance: 20%
Although he was going to be in Smash 64, that was his big shot. He missed it, so I don't see him joining the fray. Too much competition now, and he's really only important in the anime at this point.

Want: 70%
Meowth is a very iconic Pokemon and definitely a Nintendo all star. He'd fit in very well.

Dog: 10%

Nominations:
Magnus x5
Haven't heard much about him in a while. Remember when everyone thought he was a shoo-in?

Groose

Smash Champion
Oh boy. Meowth appears to be garnering mixed want opinions. Haha, just as I thought.

Allow me this, however: Meowth is easily makes the top ten for "Recognizable Nintendo Characters not Playable in Brawl"

Oma- Oh wait he has 69 nominations... I'll stop there >:3 or not. OK but seriously, we ARE reaching that nice little point where almost none of the characters left on the nomination list actually have much of a chance. I mean Girahim and stuff isn't THAT bad but if that's the best we got then... *shiver* I mean... >:D

Yeah. The sheer fact that I'm nominating Phoenix Wright now should tell you that we're reaching the limits in terms of new characters to rate. Nominate whoever you want, but please no organized movements for irrelevant/obscure characters.

Oh boy.
Nominations:
Magnus x5
Haven't heard much about him in a while. Remember when everyone thought he was a shoo-in?
He and Medusa both. Then people realized that Kid Icarus: Uprising would probably only get one character, and neither of the two were central to the plot.
I remember watching a Top-Ten Most Wanted Newcomers vid where he was excluded "because we know he's in already."

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I heavily disagree with this statement. The whole point of this game is to add in the all-stars. The characters that get in this game are Nintendo's most important ones and adding in a whole bunch of less important characters because they are similar takes away from the individuality of those characters deserving to get in the game as well as the defeats the purpose of the original character getting in under their own merit. Not only that but it's saying that the similar character isn't unique or even worth trying to make a moveset for them.
I don't care what other people think are "all-stars." I care about playing as my favorite characters. I would be surprised if a majority of the target demographic for smash would vote to keep their favorite character out of the game because they aren't an "all-star." Smash is a fighting game, and more characters is almost always better.

As for your second point, what's wrong with admitting that two characters (A, the one in smash currently, and B, the proposed alternate costume character) are similar? For one thing, if you admit that character B "isn't unique or even worth trying to make a moveset for," then you must admit the converse, that if character B were in the game first, then character A would not be "unique or even worth trying to make a moveset for." You're trying to assign greater value to character A on the completely arbitrary predicate that she came first.

DukeofShorts

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Braedenthegreat
Aw no, I missed a day. O, well.

Meowth chance: 15%
First they've already added enough first generations there won't be (m)any more added.

Meowth want: 26%
There's many more Pokémon I would want before Meowth…………that's right!

Duck Hunt Dog prediction 7.66%
He'd be more of an assist trophy.

Anthony Higgs x5

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Oh boy. Meowth appears to be garnering mixed want opinions. Haha, just as I thought.

Allow me this, however: Meowth is easily makes the top ten for "Recognizable Nintendo Characters not Playable in Brawl"

Yeah. The sheer fact that I'm nominating Phoenix Wright now should tell you that we're reaching the limits in terms of new characters to rate. Nominate whoever you want, but please no organized movements for irrelevant/obscure characters.

Oh boy.

He and Medusa both. Then people realized that Kid Icarus: Uprising would probably only get one character, and neither of the two were central to the plot.
I remember watching a Top-Ten Most Wanted Newcomers vid where he was excluded "because we know he's in already."
VIVA LA OMALUTION!

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Meowth's chances: 15%
Want: 95% - If I had it my way he would have been in by Melee. He's my favorite Pokemon, and I think he would be a great fit. I certainly don't expect him, but if he somehow got in I would be very excited.

Duck Hunt Dog prediction: 13%

Andy x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
For one last comment about Impa - Something cool they could do is to update Sheik's look and moves by incorporating some of the design of Skyward Sword Impa (who I think had a pretty cool design). Would also be nice for Sheik to have a different Final Smash than Zelda, and Impa could provide inspiration for that.

And it's sad that Sakurai doesn't like alternate costumes, since it would be hilarious to give Zelda one where she's dressed like Impa from the Oracle games and transforms into Impa from Skyward Sword.
Not only that but it's saying that the similar character isn't unique or even worth trying to make a moveset for them.
So... I take you don't think Daisy is very likely, eh?

Anywho!

Meowth:

Popularity: He's an important character on the anime, so I imagine he's pretty popular. I don't know that he's particularly requested by Smash fans though. He does better than Impa though.

Relevancy: He's an important character on the anime. As far as in-game relevancy? Very little.

Design: Meowth is not the most interesting Pokemon out there in terms of abilities. So he's not getting points for bringing something really new.

Roster and Competition: Not enough Pokemon slots. That's the problem. And they're not going to put Meowth in over Mewtwo. And if they took out Lucario for Meowth? Then it'd be all first gen Pokemon. And I don't see them replacing Jigglypuff or Pokemon Trainer for Meowth. Adding Meowth AND Mewtwo? Well, maybe. But then there's Zoroark, Genesect, and other Pokemon which can be used to promote more recent games and movies to compete with.

Legal issues/Marketing: Gamefreak has a lot of say about which Pokemon gets in. I don't really see why they'd think Meowth was good to include now when they didn't think he was in Melee or Brawl. His big chance was Smash 64, and sadly they didn't have time.

Meowth chances: 1%
Once you get beyond Pikachu, the movie stars, Pokemon Trainer and Jigglypuff (who is in Smash because of the TV show), Meowth is probably the top cat. But there's just not a lot of space left over after those others have taken their share. He's about as WTF I'd expect a Pokemon newcomer to get, since it seems there's a decent marketing component to which Pokemon are added. Still, I'd be quite surprised.

Meowth want: 40%
I like Meowth as a cartoon character. But I don't think he'd be the greatest addition to the roster, and there are other Pokemon with more interesting move sets.

Now... if Team Rocket were to get in as the counterpart to Pokemon Trainer, that could be interesting. Jesse, James and Meowth stay in the background. It switches between one of Jesse's Pokemon, one of James's and Meowth (Meowth jumping in from the background, rather than from a Pokeball). That would be fun, and it would provide an excuse to include the phrase "Team Rocket's blasting off again!!" in the game. But yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Duck Hunt Dog prediction: 23%
*sigh* I just have to accept people don't understand numbers. I thought I was being generous in my Impa prediction, but I was way too low. Duck Hunt Dog will probably do better than her, so here it goes.

Nominations:
Mike Jones x5

ZecaOMestre

Smash Apprentice
Meowth

Likelihood: 7% - Honestly, if h would have a chance, it would have been in 64. Now I don't see him getting in

Want: 60% - Love him, and I think he would be a really nice addition

Duck Hunt Dog: 13,4%

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Meowth: 12%
idk, it's weird. We know that roles in the movies plays a role in how Sakurai chooses Pokemon. ...But Meowth's been in every movie so it's really weird. I think the idea makes sense but... idk.

Want: 70%
Much more iconic Pokemon character than Jigglypuff.

5x nomz Dixie Kong

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Meowth

Likelihood: 10% - He's really iconic, but I feel like he missed his chance.
Want: 75% - I'm only familiar with the first few generations of Pokemon, so Meowth is part of my childhood. I would be totally fine if he got in, but I really don't expect him to. Honestly, they should replace Jigglypuff with him though...

Duck Hunt Dog: 9%

Nominations:
Ninten x5

Yams

Smash Journeyman
Meowth
Likelihood: 25% I honestly find him to be relatively likely among newcomers. He is one of the most iconic characters left to be playable, up there with Ridley, Toad, Dixie, and K Rool. Pokemon could get 5 reps, and I think it could be Pikachu Jigglypuff Trainer Mewtwo and Meowth. I find him more likely than Lucario or any 5th gen rep, but a part of me feels that Sakurai won't even consider him.
Want: 100% I love Meowth, he's my favorite Pokemon and is totally in my top 10 most wanted list.

Duck Hunt Dog (It's like watching a child grow. I started the DHD noms, and now he's here. Beautiful c': just beautiful) 15%

Time for a new strange character... Sukapon x5.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Damn it, why the hell did I suddenly stopped getting alerts for new posts here? Oh well.

Meowth, that's 100% positively, most assuredly right!

Likelihood: 18% - The only thing Meowth actually has for him is his relevancy in the anime; though, admittedly, that's the prime reason why any Pokemon character gets in (an exception might be Pokemon Trainer, and perhaps even Pichu...). In the anime, Pikachu is insanely popular (obviously), so was Jigglypuff in Japan, and then we have Mewtwo and Lucario who, despite both their popularity and relevancy also come from the games, they were also present in the movies they stared by the time the games they debuted in was released. And Meowth, being a main character from the anime, pretty much would have what it takes to take the spot. (Not to mention a thief-like playstyle sounds pretty cool)

With that outta the way, though, if Meowth really has what it takes to earn that spot, why didn't he? That's what bugs me the most about him. As far as I'm concerned, Smash 64 would only have heroes, so Meowth, being the villain-like kind of cat, wouldn't really be appropriate for it. Fair enough. What about Melee, though? I mean, instead of him, a well known and original character, we got a pathetically weak (yet admittedly lovable) clone of Pikachu. Obviously, either Sakurai dun goof'd and somehow forgot about him or he simply didn't see Meowth as a viable character. Either way, with each game they release out poor cat can't seem to help but lose chances of getting in, specially now that he's got, ahem, colossal competition with the likes of Mewtwo, Zoroark, Genesect, Sylveon, etc. While the chances of getting six Pokemon slots isn't as Farfetch'd as people think, it doesn't help much to Meowth, given he's still got a lot of competitors left to deal with (though, his biggest concern, Mewtwo, is technically out of the way, so.)

Want: 100% - Like I said before, it bugs me to no end why Meowth didn't got in Smash before. That's because I really want him in. He's practically the most likable character in the anime imo (along his teammates), and, frankly, I can't simply resist the idea of having a character that could actually make a reference to the fact he's being blasted off (ok so that's not really why I want him, but still). Plus, he's one of my favorite Pokemons, so what gives?

Duck Hunt Do- OK I MISSED THE DUCKS SO WHAT STOP LAUGHING AT ME YOU INSENSITIVE PRICK!! :(((((

Prediction: 7% - I have really, really, REALLY no idea why people would like him in. If you use "so that I can beat him up", why not have a stage based on Duck Hunt, or have him as an Assist Trophy, or anything!

And whoa, perhaps the largest post I made so far :p

Nominations
Suck upon that! (Sukapon) x5

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Meowth
Chance 87
Seems like best Pokemon choice to me, Genesect all the other pokemon are overrated, but I'd be ok with having just the four Pokemon plus Mewtwo.
Want 100
Love him.

Noms
Ninten x5

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Thank god for Erimir, because otherwise I'd be about to feel like the pessimistic one on this day. I'll try to be as nice as he was. I'll probably fail, so if you're the sort to get defensive about your characters, just keep in mind I just want to voice my opinion and am not interested in starting some debate, least of all in this thread.

Meowth - 1%
If we were talking about characters for Smash 64, sure, give him twenty something percent and talk about his popularity. But that era is long gone and Meowth's popularity is dead. Yes, the anime is still going but it's not the nineties anymore. Sure, it still has an effect, but it's not what defines the pokemon generations. Now more than before the games define what pokemon is about and what happens each generation. And when we consider that, Meowth has not had any importance or relevance in the games or publicity at all. People say Meowth was bigger than Puff, but then ... Puff is still a thing. It's still common in game, and it still receives attention and even got a new typing. And I can think of dozens of non-starter pokemon that have gotten more exposure than Meowth in the last ten years. Heck, considering how gamefreak treats pokemon, Marill makes more sense than Meowth. Ampharos makes more sense than Meowth. When random electric type pokemon that's not in the pikachu evo line makes more sense than Meowth, you know this thing doesn't belong in a Nintendo All-Star cast. I cannot help but feel that those attached to Meowth are attached to a nostalgia/vestige from the nineties in the same way as the competitive pokemon fighters who insist on using Charizard in higher tiers because of nostalgia for Charizard. And if I think this, it's, really, because I don't understand the reality of why people find it likely.
And then even with nostalgia, we can argue Gen 6 is trying to be extremely nostalgic and includes a lot of Gen 1 things ... and yet, NONE of those are related to Meowth. It should be clear Gamefreak does NOT care about Meowth. And no one is holding their breath for a persian mega-evo, or for using Meowth in the game.
And with sooo many excellent choices in the franchise, as well as a pretty high amount of pokemon representatives in the series already, it makes NO sense for Sakurai to pick Meowth: no interesting quirks, no interesting moves, no uniqueness, not a strong representative of the series.

Sorry if I'm extremely blunt or come off as mean, but really, I JUST DON'T GET IT. 12%? 25%? I'm sorry, but I struggle even seeing Meowth having 5% of a chance.

Want 0%
I am indifferent towards Meowth in Pokemon. He's meh to the power of ten. Meh design, meh use ... extremely bland pokemon. And his presence in the anime didn't help, he just came off as an annoying side note, even in his episodes.
However, what really makes this 0% is that it would be as good as a slap in the face to see this thing in Smash. There are soooo many great possible representatives, both from Pokemon and other franchises, that this thing appearing, this definition of bland and uninteresting, would just be an insulting decision. We deserve more variety than Meowth; we deserve more iconic than Meowth.
Again, to those of you who support Meowth, it's nothing personal, but I just have to be blunt. Keep this thing away from my Smash. I don't want one of the most boring and uninteresting and useless pokemon in a roster of Nintendo All-Stars. I hate the idea of it.

Predictions
Duck Hunt Dog - 24.1%
Being retro makes it difficult to predict ... From what I see most people here are receptive though, so I'm making a generous prediction.

Nominations
x10 Ashley

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Again, to those of you who support Meowth, it's nothing personal, but I just have to be blunt. Keep this thing away from my Smash. I don't want one of the most boring and uninteresting and useless pokemon in a roster of Nintendo All-Stars. I hate the idea of it.

I understand your opinion, but really, Meowth isn't really THAT bad. Given, the species itself doesn't really bring that much to the table, but the character himself does. I mean, he's one of those characters that, when you're being creative about, he can make something unique, and has plenty of things going on for him. You can either make his moveset based on the games (Using Pay Day, Theif, Aerial Ace, etc.) or you can give him a moveset based on the several kinds of gadgets Team Rocket uses in the anime.

I don't quite get why'd you think he's "bland" and "boring" or even "useless", though. That feels kind of biased, given how Meowth can hardly be classified as such (maybe useless as in incompetent, but that's about it). If they're putting a Meowth in the game, it's obviously the Meowth from Team Rocket, not just a random cat they found in the alley way. The same could easily apply with Pikachu and Jigglypuff.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Meowth
Chance: 6% - His best chance was in SSB64. Most of his popularity comes from an anime that is long past it's Prime.
Want: 27% - There are other Pokemon I'd rather see.

Duck Hunt Dog prediction: 3%

Nominations: Chrom and Lucina team x5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom