• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hero of Light:
Likelihood: 0%
A Square Enix character is unlikely as it is, and I don't see him getting over the choices YoshiandToad mentioned.

Want: 0%
Give me Black Mage, or even Geno.

Capt. RAINBOW!
Likelihood: 8%
He's one of the well liked Dark Horse candidates, who I can see becoming playable. The Big Mac trophy helps as well.

Want: 30%
Eh, I'm not really sold on what he can do. Besides, there are four characters in his game (one of them is confirmed) whom I'd want before him - Little Mac, Takamaru, Lip and (Donbe &) Hikari.

Lupus: 0.05%
Who is he?

Lip: 14%
I'm not sure whether the Capt Rainbow reference is going to help her.

50+ characters x 5

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Hero of Light:
Chance: 0.002%
Black Mage all the way.

Captain Rainbow:
Chance: 15%
Want: 0.2%

Predictions:
Lupus: 0.16%
Lip: 16.9%

Nominations:
Tom Nook x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Abstaining on Hero of Light.

Captain Rainbow:

Chance: 9%
More likely to be an Assist Trophy or less, but it's at least kinda possible that he could make it in.

Want: 13%
Not terribly fond of him, but he might end up being cool.

Predictions:
Lupus: 0.22%
Lip: 17.55%

Nominations: x5 Tiki (Fire Emblem)

Smady

Smash Master
Hero of Light

0% Chance: Square-Enix would get one rep, and it'd either be Slime or Black Mage. Final Fantasy may have started on the NES but the character Hero of Light has zero notoriety compared to the aforementioned icons of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy 1 was a huge success initially in Japan, but has limited appeal to Final Fantasy fans, it's probably one of the least played alongside 2 and 3. I've seen plenty of fans for all those games, but not to the extent of 4, 5, 6 or the later games irrelevant to this discussion.

0% Want: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan, realistically I'd not expect a single thing in Smash Bros for anything past 6 in the main series, or that is a spin-off and not a mainline game. That leaves 1-6, out of which I can see Black Mage as a good all-encompassing rep, and only an extremely slim chance for someone like Cecil or Terra. I would be shocked but ecstatic if a great villain got in but that's not going to happen. Hero of Light doesn't really fit anywhere in what I want if there ever was a Squeenix rep.

Captain Rainbow

5% Chance: Obscure Skip Ltd. character compared to Chibi-Robo, the more popular choice and a better candidate for a unique moveset. Captain Rainbow doesn't actually have all that great of fighting potential. Ness' Yo-Yo proved what we already knew, yes any "weapon" can be used in Smash Bros, but ultimately it detracts from Rainbow's arsenal far more by already featuring in the game, than it aids him by proving it works. I'm not knowledgeable on the character but that's about it besides summons.

50% Want: I'd prefer Chibi-Robo, Captain Rainbow is hilarious, but I simply haven't played his game and it's blatantly dead in the water as far as Europe goes. I'm open-minded to the idea; Sakurai could easily make a fun set out of Rainbow given the opportunity. On the other hand, there are so many other fun characters who are more deserving and fit better into Smash Bros. An assist trophy would be the best place.

Lupus Prediction: 0.33%
I had to look this up. A Jet Force Gemini character who no one knows.
Lip Prediction: 16%
Around the ball park of everyone else's guesses. I doubt Rainbow's trophy will drastically make it change.

N x5

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Hero of Light:
I see him as no different than Black Mage, he could be an individual character who combines elements of the series or based on the job-class system including Black Mage, but honestly both are outdated generics and I wanted to see how differently they're treated... I still really don't get the Black Mage love, he's just another Job Class to me, he's not even really a mascot of the series (that goes to Chocobo, Moogle, Cid, and probably Flans before Black Mage in my books, as atleast they appear in almost every game)... but I digress:

Chance: 1.67%
The western popularity is with Black Mage, but the character that actually gets into the FF cross-overs is Hero of Light... I think it's about half and half he'll just be a generic or that he'll a job based character, and it's a given Black Mage will be one of the jobs if that were the case. I think the job system would represent more of FF than just a black mage, and would allow an even more interesting character (and I think Black Mage's hit boxes would be unique anyway). It would be a lot of work (though I could see the jab and tilts being kept the same just with different weapons and properties), but Black Mage has next to no Japanese fan-base... Hero of Light would atleast somewhat appease them because he's the main character... Though there'd still be an uproar that Dragon Quest wasn't chosen...

My break-down for Square Enix:

Dragon Quest:
Slime: 44%
Hero: 0.2%

Final Fantasy:
Chocobo: 3%
Moogle: 0.3%
Hero of Light generic: 0.83%
Hero of Light jobs: 0.83%
Black Mage solo: 0.83%

Geno as an Assist assuming one of the above is playable: 70%

Want: 10%
A job based character would be more interesting to me than just a Black Mage as it actually represent Final Fantasy... or at least the good games... not just one job class. Moreover it could allow White Mage to get in on the battle, and I would love to see a self healer in the game. That said, it still wouldn't be Slime, and it would be a disappointment that it wasn't the far more deserving and less controversial (by which I mean, westerners would understand why he was picked, Japanese wouldn't understand why an FF rep was) Slime!

Captain Rainbow:
I don't think the Trophy changes much at all, however further thought makes me think he's got a good shot at AT status.

Chance: 1%
Same as last time, he's just not big enough to beat the competition...

Want: 25%
I liked the game, and it was fun; he's a quirky character who I'd love to see make the game somehow, but honestly he'd be a waste of a slot if he's playable.

Someone's been watching PCull: 0.03%
Even though I now put Banjo at the probably insane 2.5% no other Rare character has so much as a shot this game. If the Rare buy-out theory is true (and there's no evidence yet to believe it is, just enough sense and lack of evidence to the contrary that I wouldn't be too surprised if it did happen), then it still may not have happened early enough for Banjo to have a complete move set by e3 (though, what they do have would probably be shown off in the Trailer)... and it's too late to put even more work upon them with more Rare characters... And even then, I don't see Jet Force Gemini getting a new game any time soon. If Rare comes back they'll be making Banjo Threeie, Perfect Dark: Buzzword, HD Banjo/Perfect Dark ports up the wazoo (though I hope they do Conkers as VC instead, the Xbox version was so lifeless) and probably something new before they get to that... heck I think they'd do a new Battle Toads game before that because at least that'd be memetic enough to garner crazy sales (also it'd be cool to get a crazy multiplayer beat 'em up on Wii U).. Jet force Gemini might come back, but not for a long long time!

You givin' me Lip boy?: 18.8%
She's the number 2 retro, and Captain Rainbow might make people think 'oh yeah'... though it helps Takamaru too, so yah...

Megaman Legends 3*5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Hero Of Light

Chance - 0% - Nope. No way. Even among his own company he is outclassed. Way to many others for him to be considered.

Want - 0% - Yeah, I'd prefer someone else from the company before him.

Captain Rainbow

Chance - 1.5% - Yeah, not changing my original vote. The Trophy does nothing, except that Captain Rainbow may get some treatment. His obstacles are bigger than being Japanese exclusive.

Want - 35% - Yep, same ranking. I'd rather he be represented by something else, rather than playable. I'd also prefer if a number of his companions weren't demoted to assists.

Predictions

Lupus - 0.35% - A Rare-ware character? C'mon, we have better to rate than that.

Lip - 14.1% - The Trophy will give confidence, that's for sure.

Nominations
Chrom Assist Trophy X5

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
HERO OF LIGHT

Chance: 0% - Not going to happen.

Want: 60% - If it wasn't for Sora, it might be a little higher. Thinking about it now, HoL (or WoL) would be my most wanted SE character after Sora (who is owned by Disney).

CAPTAIN RAINBOW

Chance: 15% - He might catch Sakurai's eye.

Want: 55% - Mostly indifferent though he might bring something new and interesting to the table.

Lupus Prediction: .16% - Not going to be high.

Lip Prediction: 16% - Competition with Takamaru seems to hurt her in the eyes of many.

Nominations
Megaman Legends 3 representation x5

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Hero of Light -
Chance: 0%
I really don't like having third party characters in Smash, but if they're going to be in then they better be a household name like Sonic or Megaman. Hero of LIght isn't.

Captain Rainbow -
Chance: 40%
Want: 70%
Since the Captain Rainbow trophy was shown off and it has been stated that he's a requested character in Japan, I believe he has a decent shot appearing in the game. He'd be an interesting character with lots of goofy moves and a transformation aspect like Zelda/Sheik, so I think it would be pretty cool if he was playable or an assist trophy. The things that hurt his chances is his Japan exclusivity and the poor sales of his game. I definitely want Lip and Takamaru playable first before him too; I'd be slightly upset if Captain Rainbow was playable and one or both of them weren't.

EDIT: Lowered the score from 50 to 40 and changed my reasoning a bit.

Last edited:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Hero of Light double 0%

This is what I rated him the first time.

chance 20% Where everybody else sees an almost impossible character I see an opportunity. He could be a troll surprise character, nobody would expect him. Yet his japan only exclusivity and lack of support and success I doubt he would get anything other than assist or trophy.
want 65% I find him interesting.
I'll keep the same argument but bump the score to 30% and I admit Little Mac's fat-trophy influenced my score.
want 65%

x2 Barbara
x2 Jill
x1 Dr. Wright

predict 0.44% and 13%

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hero of Light -
I really don't like having third party characters in Smash, but if they're going to be in then they better be a household name like Sonic or Megaman. Hero of LIght isn't.

Captain Rainbow -
Chance: 50%
Want: 70%
Why'd I give him such a high rating? Since the Captain Rainbow trophy was shown off and it has been stated that Sakurai is a fan of the game, I believe it's a 50/50 shot he's in the game. He'd be an interesting character with lots of goofy moves and a transformation aspect like Zelda/Sheik, so I think it would be pretty cool if he was playable or an assist trophy. The things that hurt his chances is his Japan exclusivity and the poor sales of his game. I definitely want Lip and Takamaru playable first before him too; I'd be slightly upset if Captain Rainbow was playable and one or both of them weren't.
Wait when did he say he was a fan?

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it. It was on one of the threads about the Japanese fanbase character requests I believe. It's been awhile.

EDIT: Looks like I made a mix-up, he's simply a character that's well requested in Japan, not sure where I got the "Sakurai's a fan" thing from. I'm going to edit my score.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The things that hurt his chances is his Japan exclusivity and the poor sales of his game. I definitely want Lip and Takamaru playable first before him too; I'd be slightly upset if Captain Rainbow was playable and one or both of them weren't.
You think those only hurt his chances a little bit?

Lip and Takamaru had much better sales, and have been around for the entire life of the series. They have not gotten into the game the whole time. What makes you think Captain Rainbow is a 50% shot? If you think he's a 50% shot, shouldn't you think that Shulk, other Operation Rainfall reps, Isaac, Saki, an Advance Wars rep, Chibi-Robo, Ray from Custom Robo, and others are shoo-ins? They have better sales, many have multiple installments, they're known globally, many of them are more critically acclaimed, etc. But we're undoubtedly getting more reps for existing series as well (definitely a Pokemon, perhaps Palutena, Dixie Kong, K Rool, Ridley, etc. there's plenty of possibilities there too).

But for you to think that, you'd have to think we were getting a huge roster. We're not going to have a 60+ character roster. Some characters are going to be left out.

There's really no way to justify give Captain Rainbow a score that high, because there's nothing to make him seem like he takes priority over the many more popular, globally known, higher selling or more critically acclaimed characters out there. There's only so much room for newcomers, and even if you think he has a chance, he still has to earn his place, he has to justify putting him in and leaving someone else out.

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
You think those only hurt his chances a little bit?

Lip and Takamaru had much better sales, and have been around for the entire life of the series. They have not gotten into the game the whole time. What makes you think Captain Rainbow is a 50% shot? If you think he's a 50% shot, shouldn't you think that Shulk, other Operation Rainfall reps, Isaac, Saki, an Advance Wars rep, Chibi-Robo, Ray from Custom Robo, and others are shoo-ins? They have better sales, many have multiple installments, they're known globally, many of them are more critically acclaimed, etc. But we're undoubtedly getting more reps for existing series as well (definitely a Pokemon, perhaps Palutena, Dixie Kong, K Rool, Ridley, etc. there's plenty of possibilities there too).

But for you to think that, you'd have to think we were getting a huge roster. We're not going to have a 60+ character roster. Some characters are going to be left out.

There's really no way to justify give Captain Rainbow a score that high, because there's nothing to make him seem like he takes priority over the many more popular, globally known, higher selling or more critically acclaimed characters out there. There's only so much room for newcomers, and even if you think he has a chance, he still has to earn his place, he has to justify putting him in and leaving someone else out.
If you look at the post above yours you'll see that I rated him a 50% because of some misinformation and had already lowered my score to 40%.

For the record, I fail to see how a 50% rating is a "shoo-in" (more like a toss up), nor do I see how a single character's score implied that I think there's going to be a humongous roster (I don't. I've stated in previous posts that I believe we're only getting around 10-12 newcomers, if that).

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Hero of Ligh-wait who?
Abstaining because I know very little about his character.

Captain Falcon's long lost cousin from West Hollywood
Chance: 12%
Want: 90%
Can't think of a witty post. Sorry :'[

Predictions
Lupus: 0.05%
Lip: 12.48%

Heracross X5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If you look at the post above yours you'll see that I rated him a 50% because of some misinformation and had already lowered my score to 40%.
Ok, big deal. 40% is ridiculous too.
For the record, I fail to see how a 50% rating is a "shoo-in" (more like a toss up), nor do I see how a single character's score implied that I think there's going to be a humongous roster (I don't. I've stated in previous posts that I believe we're only getting around 10-12 newcomers, if that).
No, I was saying if Captain Rainbow is a toss-up (or even 40%), then other characters like Shulk, Isaac and Tingle should be shoo-ins. Because whatever little bit Captain Rainbow has going for him, they have more of. More sales, more critical acclaim, more popularity, more well-known, etc. The only thing Captain Rainbow has going for him is being "zany."

But if you don't think that, why do you think Captain Rainbow is on their level, or ahead of them? You can't just say whatever little tiny bits of evidence are positive for Captain Rainbow. They have to be good enough to make him more likely than other characters.

You don't think we're getting a giant roster? Then Sakurai has to make choices, and I honestly don't see Captain Rainbow being the choice over the vast majority of characters, not enough to justify a 40% chance.

andimidna

Smash Master
No, I was saying if Captain Rainbow is a toss-up (or even 40%), then other characters like Shulk, Isaac and Tingle should be shoo-ins. Because whatever little bit Captain Rainbow has going for him, they have more of. More sales, more critical acclaim, more popularity, more well-known, etc. The only thing Captain Rainbow has going for him is being "zany."

But if you don't think that, why do you think Captain Rainbow is on their level, or ahead of them? You can't just say whatever little tiny bits of evidence are positive for Captain Rainbow. They have to be good enough to make him more likely than other characters.

You don't think we're getting a giant roster? Then Sakurai has to make choices, and I honestly don't see Captain Rainbow being the choice over the vast majority of characters, not enough to justify a 40% chance.
Tingle is not a shoo-in in any twisted logic. And is he really more... any of those 4 things?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Tingle is definitely far more well-known, seeing as he was in several Zelda games, Melee and Brawl. Tingle has had multiple games starring him, from which I infer he has more sales. He's quite popular in Japan, even if he's hated in the US (as far as I know, he must not be that unpopular in Europe since his games were released there).

I dunno about critical acclaim. But I see Tingle as more likely than Captain Rainbow. And my point is that if Captain Rainbow is outclassed by so many characters, he can't possibly warrant 40%.

andimidna

Smash Master
"several" is more just Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, the rest were pretty much just cameos.
And I don't think his games sold well, does anybody know his sales? I don't.
But from what I've heard, Captain Rainbow is more requested in terms of Smash Bros than Tingle, and despite Tingle being popular in Japan, he's not a common pick.
40% is probably to high... but 0.8% is too low so they cancel out :3
If I had put more thought into my post I probably would have given him closer to a 20% rather than 30%

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
"several" is more just Wind Waker and Majora's Mask, the rest were pretty much just cameos.
And I don't think his games sold well, does anybody know his sales? I don't.
But from what I've heard, Captain Rainbow is more requested in terms of Smash Bros than Tingle, and despite Tingle being popular in Japan, he's not a common pick.
40% is probably to high... but 0.8% is too low so they cancel out :3
If I had put more thought into my post I probably would have given him closer to a 20% rather than 30%
Giving a high score to cancel out a low score is strictly against RTC rules. From what I understand, Groose won't count it if that was the reasoning.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Three starring roles and minor roles in major sellers (Majora's Mask, Oracle games, Wind Waker, Minish Cap) is still a lot more than what you can put to Captain Rainbow's name.

I never said Tingle was likely. I don't think he is. I'm just pointing out how minor Captain Rainbow is when someone like Tingle has a much more impressive resume.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Three starring roles and minor roles in major sellers (Majora's Mask, Oracle games, Wind Waker, Minish Cap) is still a lot more than what you can put to Captain Rainbow's name.

I never said Tingle was likely. I don't think he is. I'm just pointing out how minor Captain Rainbow is when someone like Tingle has a much more impressive resume.
He was only in Oracles of Ages. And all he did was float there the whole game, then give you a seed satchel or something like that later in the game... His importance is overstated, but yea, more games than Rainbow.

Giving a high score to cancel out a low score is strictly against RTC rules. From what I understand, Groose won't count it if that was the reasoning.
I was just kidding, I posted before him anyways.
And the post we were discussing was somebody else's.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh wow. I didn't expect this to happen.

Honestly, I do think that the trophy helps Captain Rainbow. I mean, it comes from the game that is named after him; that has got to mean SOMETHING. That's why I doubled my score from 5% to 10%.

While I say this, I don't think that he deserves scores over 20%. That's giving him more credit than he deserves. Also, keep in mind that there are other, more successful new series competing to get a spot; I would be extremely surprised to see Captain Rainbow get represented before a series like Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice

You're taking this way too seriously. I hate to break it to you, but the Smash Bros. development team has already decided on who they want in the game. Nothing we post here will reflect who's actually in the game or not. It's reflecting the opinions of these forums. Though if you're that curious about it, I'd probably rate Shulk 70%, Issac 50%, and Tingle 60% in chances. But we're rating Captain Rainbow right now.

We are talking about the same developer that made Wii Fit Trainer playable, right? Sakurai's known for adding characters most folks outside of Japan didn't ask for (Lucas, R.O.B., Marth, Roy, and Mr. G+W for example)

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Hero of Light - 0%
Captain Rainbow - 9.5%

predictions -
Lupus - 0.03%
Lip - 13.5%

nominate:
Ryu Hayabusa x3, Karate Joe Revote x2

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
The way items are getting revealed I kinda feel like I should start nominating some of my item concepts, but equally Square Enix comments are making me excited about Slime's chances, and I've got so much I want to get through...

If I'm voting alone it'll take about 20 days to get a concept to the top, and ~15 for a character... Slime's pre-e3 revote will take ~10 days, and there's 68 days to e3... 9 of those will be missed because of weekends...

I can vote up two concepts and a Slime... maybe get a way into a character..

Argh, decisions....

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You're taking this way too seriously. I hate to break it to you, but the Smash Bros. development team has already decided on who they want in the game.
I know that.

I'm just pointing out that your score is ridiculous. You think Captain Rainbow is almost as likely as Isaac, a character with a global release, a well-received game, more popular, at least ten times the sales for his series, who was an AT in Brawl, etc.?

If I'm too serious by pointing out the obvious, just say you didn't put thought into it and you don't care or it's just a hunch or whatever. The fact that we're not deciding who's in isn't an argument.
The way items are getting revealed I kinda feel like I should start nominating some of my item concepts, but equally Square Enix comments are making me excited about Slime's chances, and I've got so much I want to get through...
What comments by Square Enix? Did they say something about Smash or Wii U?

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
What comments by Square Enix? Did they say something about Smash or Wii U?
No, about their interest in returning to their roots and further developing their core RPGs, focusing on making games for the Japanese Market, stuff like that. It more effects the chances of Dragon Quest coming back to the west rather than Slime getting in Smash, but I never said is did, simply that it's making me more excited about the possibility... I should probably have made that more clear in my wording though...

Either way Square Enix never mention anything directly untill they release a trailer, and even then it's often scarce, I doubt they'll mention Smash much even if they get a character in simply because it's not their game...

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
This is going to be my last reply to you, since I never intended to start an argument over this.
I know that.

I'm just pointing out that your score is ridiculous. You think Captain Rainbow is almost as likely as Isaac, a character with a global release, a well-received game, more popular, at least ten times the sales for his series, who was an AT in Brawl, etc.?
Opinions are a beautiful thing, are they not? I could easily say the same of your score, but that would lead us nowhere. It looks like you mostly rate character chances by general popularity and their game's sales. I do too, for the most part but I also factor in overseas popularity and the developer's personal bias towards series (Which is why the Mother series is heavily represented despite being a small series; same with Star Fox. It's also the reason Snake got in Brawl).

If I'm too serious by pointing out the obvious, just say you didn't put thought into it and you don't care or it's just a hunch or whatever. The fact that we're not deciding who's in isn't an argument.
You see, I'm reading this as "This person has a different opinion than me! You obviously don't care about what you're writing, nor put thought into it because it's not the same as my opinion!". There's much better ways to state an argument than trying to belittle someone.

With that, I'm dropping this whole argument. It's pointless.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Opinions are a beautiful thing, are they not? I could easily say the same of your score, but that would lead us nowhere. It looks like you mostly rate character chances by general popularity and their game's sales. I do too, for the most part but I also factor in overseas popularity and the developer's personal bias towards series (Which is why the Mother series is heavily represented despite being a small series; same with Star Fox. It's also the reason Snake got in Brawl).
Star Fox has sold at least a couple of orders of magnitude more games than Captain Rainbow (over 10 million). Earthbound has sold over a million games. And there's no evidence that Sakurai has a great friendship with the developer of Captain Rainbow.

Small series can get into Smash Bros, sure. There are none so tiny as Captain Rainbow. They all have over a million in sales. Earthbound doesn't demonstrate that sales don't matter at all, and any character from any total flop of a game has a 40% chance.

You seem to be just assuming that Captain Rainbow is very popular in Japan. But popular characters tend to sell games. And what evidence is there that he has popularity that goes beyond his meager sales?

And what evidence is there that Sakurai has a personal bias towards Captain Rainbow? A trophy of Little Mac? Yeah, that demonstrates that he loves Captain Rainbow and is willing to overlook all the reasons not to include him :rolleyes:

I've seen no real evidence that he's huge in Japan nor that Sakurai has a special place for him. Which is why I instead think the comparison should be made on things we know about, like, you know, his obscurity and teeny tiny sales.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Preparing the update. Sad to see it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows while I was gone, but I think tomorrow will fairy a bit better.

People need to remember despite the Japanese not buying his game, he's one of the most wanted characters among them.
My (limited) research has led me to believe that he's pretty popular there (odd considering the game's sales; I suppose the fan bases overlap), but methinks putting him among the most wanted is stretching it a bit.

I honestly feel that Captain Rainbow does not have a good chance. I also thought that 4.46% was too high to begin with. Everyone on this forum disagrees with some ratings, so it's unfair to assume that the previous rating is infallible and needs to be viewed as the absolute standard. Also as Erimer has already pointed out Little Mac is already in the game, so it's no surprise that Sakurai acknowledges the existence of the fat Mac from Captain Rainbow. No hard feelings if I am proven wrong about his chances.

Edit: This new layout had better be an April fools joke.
1) Good attitude. I like how you keep it civil.

2) Thank goodness that the site has been brought back into the right decade. I'm blaming it on why I didn't update yesterday. Actually it was that I was working on my soundtrack competition entry... but still...
Even though I now put Banjo at the probably insane 2.5% no other Rare character has so much as a shot this game. If the Rare buy-out theory is true (and there's no evidence yet to believe it is, just enough sense and lack of evidence to the contrary that I wouldn't be too surprised if it did happen), then it still may not have happened early enough for Banjo to have a complete move set by e3 (though, what they do have would probably be shown off in the Trailer)... and it's too late to put even more work upon them with more Rare characters... And even then, I don't see Jet Force Gemini getting a new game any time soon. If Rare comes back they'll be making Banjo Threeie, Perfect Dark: Buzzword, HD Banjo/Perfect Dark ports up the wazoo (though I hope they do Conkers as VC instead, the Xbox version was so lifeless) and probably something new before they get to that... heck I think they'd do a new Battle Toads game before that because at least that'd be memetic enough to garner crazy sales (also it'd be cool to get a crazy multiplayer beat 'em up on Wii U).. Jet force Gemini might come back, but not for a long long time!
Stop. Rare is buried. Nothing we say can bring them back. Do NOT get my hopes up.
Wait when did he say he was a fan?
I've been saying for awhile now that I think Sakurai had complimented the game, but I also pointed out that I can't find the source. I can, however, find the source for something else...
Lip Prediction: 12.5% Popularism (which is the incorrect way to rate) will rein over Lip's chances.
...I'd disagree with the statement. The reason I'd give Lip chances higher than any other Retro (bar Takamaru) is that the Voice of God has announced that he likes her and has put items and music relating to her in previous Smash installments. This is what allows her to beat out the likes of Muddy Mole and Prince Sable and Duck Hunt Dog--we've seen that she has been recognized in the past. It's not because I particularly like her--she's OK, but I'd prefer other Retros. Now, I'm one who says that the Retro class is still an open book (35% Takamaru, 15% Lip, 30% other), but I have to give the greatest odds to those that have received recognition and make the largest degree of sense.
He was only in Oracles of Ages. And all he did was float there the whole game, then give you a seed satchel or something like that later in the game... His importance is overstated, but yea, more games than Rainbow.
1) Two spin-off titles and a Balloon Trip reskin
2) Huge role in Wind Waker, large role in Majora's Mask, moderately large role in Four Swords Adventures, cameos in several other games
3) Recognized in both Smash games since his creation

I wouldn't really call that overstated. At the very least, he's on par with the other Zelda characters that serve as his competition.

Hero of Light: 0% chance and want
I wouldn't even put Hero of Light in my top three most likely Square Enix characters. I don't think it's possible for this scenario to be realized, and I'm rather happy about that.

Captain Rainbow:
Captain Rainbow: 7.5%
Well, he has a semi-decent shot, in my opinion. His game is obscure and his franchise seems to be over, but the nature of his game screams WTF character to me; he's tied closely with other Nintendo franchises. I'm not going to say that he's anywhere near likely, but he can't be dismissed out of hand like some of the people we've been rating recently.

Captain Rainbow Want: 20%
He doesn't really appeal to me as a character, you know? He looks too much like Captain Falcon to offer anything from an aesthetic point of view... and I feel he'd be a somewhat wasted slot. Still, I'd like to see his game come to the West because of it's interesting concept; I think I'd probably want a stage, too.
A few thing have changed, but my reasoning remains mostly the same. Captain Rainbow is a game that sold quite poorly and never reached the vast majority of the world, but he's got some things in his advantage, too. He's a fairly popular Japanese request and gamers there know of him regardless of his sales. However, the main thing I see going for him is his entire premise--Captain Rainbow is all about referencing and helping little-known games. Sakurai is a fan of this concept and has used it in Smash before; I think it's very possible that there may be some bias here. Overall, I'd give Captain Rainbow a 15% chance, but my want score will remain at 20%.

Ghirahim x5

DAY OVER

...I can't think of any puns. Awww. That's a Rare scenario...

...and we're rating a Rare character tomorrow...
Rare? Rare? Get it? Get it? Well, someone getting my puns would be a rare occurrence...

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Hero of Light
0.22% chance
6.82% want

How could the Hero of Light get in before the Goddess of Light? And why would anybody want that?

Captain Rainbow
11.24% chance (Day 95: 4.45%)
48.65% want (Day 95: 40.74%)
Isn't it funny how one little trophy and a few months of time can lead to 7% changes in both chance and want? Ah, I digress...

Remember the glory days of Rare? You know, the days when they always tossed out quality game after quality game? Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark... and Jet Force Gemini. Please rate the chance and want of getting Lupus from Jet Force Gemini, an IP currently owned by Microsoft. In addition, please rate Lip in chance and want. Will we finally get more than her stick and theme song?

Tomorrow we have Tiki from Fire Emblem and the Illusion Pokemon Zoroark. Please place your predictions.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Lupus:

Lip:

Chance: 18.4%
Most likely retro after Takamaru.

Want: 44%
I like her, but I'd rather see Takamaru. By a long shot, in fact.

Predictions:

TIKI!: 7.4%
Zoroark: 6.66%?

Nominations: Sheriff x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Lupus
Chance and Want: 0%
Rare characters aren't getting into this game. And if one did, it would almost certainly be Banjo-Kazooie. (Conker would work too, but his game is too filthy for Smash Bros)

Lip
I think I gave her short shrift before. But not by a huge margin.

Pros:
-She has an item and song in previous Smash games
-She's now old enough to be a plausible "retro" rep, compared to Brawl
-puzzle game moveset could be interesting... maybe?
Cons:
-She's Japan-exclusive
-She's not among the most requested even in Japan
-I don't think retro characters are a guarantee. Sakurai wants to represent Nintendo history, but Brawl already represented it very well, so I wouldn't be that surprised if there was no retro newcomer. I think the remaining retro reps tend to be less appealing than the ones already in (and while Little Mac and Pit aren't retro anymore, they used to be and were more appealing then too, also I think Little Mac got in more on his retro appeal than because of the Wii game).

She would be a somewhat surprising choice. She certainly wouldn't create much hype for many people.

Lip chances: 10%
Lip want: 30%
Meh.

Predictions:
Tiki - 5%
Who is this?
Zoroark - 8%
*shrug*

Nominations:
50+ characters x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Hero of Light has been added to the popularity chart and finished in 159th, one of the worst. Luckily his defeat was avenged by Captain Rainbow who climbed 25 spots from 44th to 19th, just 0.01% behind Porky of all people.

Lupus
Chance: 0% - Microsoft just dropped by to remind us how much they love Nintendo. :)
Want: 57% - I'll lend my support regardless.

Lip
Chance: 16% - She's only well known because one of the most annoying items in SSB keeps reminding us that her game existed. Nintendo has previously shown that they have no interest in localizing her, going so far as to recreate Panel de Pon as a Pokemon game for western release. To her credit, she is becoming iconic to SSB (or at least her item is), and she does have growing popularity. She's a wildcard choice, but I think it's more likely that Lip's Stick will just return as a standalone item.
Want: 23% - I might warm up to her eventually if she made it, but there are many characters that I'd want ahead of her.

Tiki prediction: 1.7%
Zoroark prediction: 12%

Nominations: Shepard x5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom