• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
Day mostly updated, but I gotta step out for a few hours. I know you're all sad that I have to postpone Shadow's time in the limelight, but it's gotta get done.

See you in. A little while.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Soon I think it might be a good idea to combine the nominations list into one. Or you know, effectively do so by picking the top or the top 2 things from either list, if you want to keep track of who has been rated before more easily.

We're getting down to the dregs for newcomers.

Or maybe separate it into re-rates and new things (be they characters, stages or other ideas). Not sure.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Soon a new dark lord will rise. Just wait Twilight Princess pedophiles :p.

andimidna

Smash Master
Only explanation I can think of was everyone was on the "uniqueness is top priority" phase. Rosalina had shown that the obvious choices may not always get picked. Bowser Jr. in this case was by far the most popular choice for a Mario newcomer, seen to have the most potential AND be the most likely. Then the fifth most popular Mario newcomer got picked. Sucker punch'd.

Since Chrom is essentially a half way house between Marth and Ike (both in fighting style and looks), people wondered if there was a more unique option.
Robin is the deutagonist(Tritagonist if you count Lucina), and offers magic as well as swordplay, can offer a female alt, is not yet another blue haired lord with a sword and specifically doesn't use the Falchion like Marth and the other two likely Awakening choices of Chrom and Lucina.

Needless to say he/she was seen as the most unique option available as a result.

Hope that explains it.
Well, to be fair about Rosalina, after her 3d world reveal and the galaxy stage she was by far the most requested newcomer on Miiverse, not even just from Mario. (That is, if you count Mewrwo as a veteran).
Definitely wouldn't call her the 5th most popular, she was 2nd to Bowser Jr in some places, and before November that may have been the case.
From the time I've spent on multiple sites, these seem to be the characters I only really see requested on SmashBoards (which mostly means, not on Miiverse, which is what Nintendo actually looks at):
Toad
Waluigi
Stork
Captain Syrup
Impa
Tingle
Ganon
Vaati
Waddle Dee
Anna
Tiki
Robin
Daitoryo

The 1st party requests on Miiverse I commonly saw were:
Rosalina
Bowser Jr
Paper Mario
Daisy
King K Rool
Dixie Kong
Cranky Kong
Ghirahim
Midna
Tetra
Palutena
Magnus
Medusa
Ridley
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Krystal
Chrom
Lucina
Roy
Shulk
Isaac
Dillon
Mii
Little Mac
Takamaru
Lip

I probably forgot some, but this is just what I've seen.
This is not a personal list. I disagree with almost half of these.

Edit: I actually see a Chrom and Lucina team (IC style) that can switch from Falchion to Lance strategically as more unique...

Is that.. the most fabulous team of characters in all of the Legend of Zelda series? Yes...
fix'd

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
@ andimidna andimidna Miiverse for Smash Bros only launched in June. And Sakurai stated in an interview in June that they had stopped collecting information about fan requests.

Regardless of whether the roster is finalized, I don't think Miiverse matters much, except as an indicator of what information Sakurai might've gotten if Nintendo had looked for more "casual gamer" fan requests, or had done some direct surveys, etc.

MAYBE Sakurai was lying, or reconsidered. Maybe they look at Miiverse and have been swayed. But if that's the case, I'd expect it only to help push them towards or against including a character that they had already heavily considered, or to change how they prioritize the things they had already decided to include.

Maybe seeing so many people asking for someone might make them try to finish that character earlier. Who knows.

But it's not going to get a character in that Sakurai wasn't already likely to include.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Gonna do a quicky, I'm watching the movie Frozen again. :p
Is it as good as they say? It was one of thosethat I kind of wanted to see, but never got around to it.

...are we seriously rating Shadow? Seriously?
Honestly, I do think he's worth rating. You guys will probably be surprised by the score I give him. Hint: it'll be considerably more than a zero.

I still can't believe a fight broke out because of sandbag . . .
Yeah, I forgot you weren't around back in late July/early August when we rated him the first time. The day went so poorly that I had to "strongly discourage" all "troll nominations" for a month. Regrettable, but the backlash was pretty big. And as a result, we had people organizing movements to send other characters, like Omastar, up the nomination list as well. I think he got 25 nominations in a single day a little bit after Sandbag's day, and we hasn't even rated characters like Rosalina, Saki, and Ray yet.

I warn you now Groose; this is my most hated video game character of all time. Of ALL time. You thought I gave Bowser Jr. a hard time? He's only second to this guy.

I'd like to extend an apology to the Shadow fans in advance, but I'm going to try my darned best not to let my dislike of the character affect the chance score and try and explain just why I dislike Shadow so darn much within the want section.

I actually really like Dillon but he should only really be a dark horse candidate. He's probably quite a bit overrated.
Oh boy, that's one rant that I'm excited for. As for Dillon, he's still a 100% want for me, but I agree that he's a dark horse. He needs his score about halved.

Now that I have played Fire Emblem: Awakening, I have changed my opinion on Fire Emblem characters.

I see the chances we get three fire emblem reps as 85%. I think that we will be seeing Ike again, but I will give him a 90%. That gives us a 95% chance of having a newcomer. Here are my percents of all Fire Emblem characters based on that.

Marth: 100%
Ike: 90%
Chrom: 55%
Robin: 15%
Roy: 15%
Lucina: 5%
Lyn: 2%
Other Past Lord: 1%
Anna: 1%
Other: 1%
Interesting. Well, judging by how often FE days come up... You'll probably have a chance soon enough.

Shantae: 0.01% chance
+Close to Nintendo
-Not legendary, actually quite small
-Foreign company (no Kojima rule)
-Strong competition, limited slots
Even if Way Forward contacted Nintendo about including her, I think they'd be turned down.

Shantae Want: 20%
She's okay, but not deserving of a coveted third-party spot.

Unlockable Newcomers: 99.99%
Unlockable characters are pretty strongly associated with Smash Bros. The "Warning: Challenger Approaching" text is actually pretty iconic. I'm not entirely certain if there will be any secret unlock able newcomers, but I'm certain there will be some unlockable newcomers.

Unlockable Newcomers Want: 100%
Guys, I said that I'd be running this game until launch.That's a lie. I fully plan on making myself scarce about two weeks before launch so that I may be surprised by a character in the right way. My fondest memory of Smash is the surprise of unlocking Mewtwo; I honestly hope that something in this game tops that.

Dillon x5

Day Over

...Bow your head low, all hail Shadow!

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Yeah, I forgot you weren't around back in late July/early August when we rated him the first time. The day went so poorly that I had to "strongly discourage" all "troll nominations" for a month. Regrettable, but the backlash was pretty big. And as a result, we had people organizing movements to send other characters, like Omastar, up the nomination list as well. I think he got 25 nominations in a single day a little bit after Sandbag's day, and we hasn't even rated characters like Rosalina, Saki, and Ray yet.
wow really?
can't believe people will get so upset over something so trivial and impractical, . . . . .though that isn't saying much seeing how I only really found this site around middle of august and joined in October, don't know how they felt back then.

Groose

Smash Champion
Shantae
1.01% chance
33.92% want
Shantae is only half-genie, and it really shows--it looks like she can't just wish herself in.

Unlockable Newcomers
97.84% chance
80.77% want
I don't really have much to say here. I guess I can remove the nominations for "Unlockable Characters" now because it's pretty clear it'd be extremely close to 100%.

BOW YOUR HEADS LOW, ALL HAIL SHADOW! Oh, erm ahem. I meant to say, BOW YOUR HEADS LOW, ALL RATE SHADOW! So, yeah... Just do it. Additionally, please rate Paper Mario in chance or want. Have his chances fallen flat since Rosalna's reveal?

Tomorrow we'll be rating Arino for Retro Game Challenge and Other M Ridley. Please predict away!

...Shadow's day will probably be until Friday, as I have a bit of a situation going on here. I'll definitely be on Friday, however--I really need a nice evening of Smash Bros. to wind down. Stressful week.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Original the Fanhog
No: No% (0.01%)
Nope: Never% (0%)

Paper Mario
Chance: 5% - He's certainly possible, but Rosalina destroyed his chances.
Want: 0% - No more Mario characters, please. I'm also extremely against alt. versions of existing characters.

Other Ridley - 90% and up - Most people think that this is the most likely one, and it's the one I'm expecting.
That Other Person - Abstaining

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
shadow - 0.50%
sonic newcomers are very unlikely from being third parties and very restricted spots . . . . that's about it
want - 0%
sonic is just fine, we don't need anyone else
paper Mario - 2.50%
chances are flat and deflated, get over it
want - 25%
I didn't want a Mario newcomer in the first place, sure don't want another one
arino - 0.38%
. . . . . .
other M ridley -63.69%
ridley seen as an 73.98%, and with the heavy other m representation, makes this incredibly likely
drop 10% and sum for the odd chance of a different design, and done
nominaitons:
snakeX5

Last edited:

Keto

Smash Journeyman
Shadow chance: 2% - The biggest question here is, does Sega deserve another rep? Let alone any third party having any inclusion in the game is a privilege. This may be too early for multiple third party reps from the same series, and will be a better opportunity during the next installment of smash bros. Not only this, but Shadow has a few contenders within his own universe to deal with such as Tails and Knuckles. That being said, he was an assist trophy in brawl, which boosts his percentage up slightly.

Shadow want: 30% - I would rather see Tails.

Paper Mario chance: 10% - Yes, Rosalina's inclusion definitely decreased any chance for another Mario rep, but if there is going to be another rep then it would be either Paper Mario or Bowser Jr. He has his own games that set him apart from the original Mario just as Toon Link is set apart from adult Link. He would definitely fit in as we can see Mr. GaW fits in very well as a 2d character.

Paper Mario want: 60% - I liked his games and could be a very unique character, but I'm not sure how I would feel about the roster being almost 1/6 Mario characters.

Arino: 2.1% Complete guess

Other M Ridley: 60.1%

Starman (Mother) x5

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Shadow: YAY DOUBLE ZEROS FOR EVERYONE
Papes: 4.65%
Want: 50%
Arino: 0.25%
OM R: 65%
Omastar x 3
Robin x 2

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Shadow:
Chance: 0.3%
I doubt he'll be playable. He's all over Miiverse. . . Also, we already have Sonic.
Want: 5%
I'd take Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, and Metal Sonic over Shadow. Not that I want a second Sonic rep in the first place.

Paper Mario:
Chance: 8.5%
Rosalina "flattened"(hehe) his chances as well as him being an alternate Mario(even though we have Toon Link and Toon Zelda was supposedly considered in Brawl). I doubt he'd rep his own series. However, I've heard that he's highly requested in Japan and moderately here.
Want: 100%
Can I go over 100%? Just kidding. Anyway, Paper Mario is one of my favorite series out there. I like the Mario RPG's and I wish Mario would inspire some of their elements into his moveset. Paper Mario could be a very unique addition. He could summon different partners or even implement a new mechanic called FP(Flower Points). As the match goes on, his FP accumulates over time and is able to do different techniques. For example: after accumulating a certain amount of FP, Paper Mario's Hammer could cause a side effect such as shrinking, dizziness, or his Hammer Quake. After using such move, his FP would lower. He could also glide via Paper Airplane. . . I wouldn't mind if they finally implemented a "special costume" system that actually changes the character's traits, which would make Paper Mario a great alt for Mario. Anyway, that's just me being a fanboy and yada. He's my number 1 newcomer, but that doesn't mean I think he'll make it.

Predictions:
Other M Ridley: 45.3%

Nominations:
Paper Mario Stage x5

D

Deleted member

Shadow the Hedgehog and Paper Mario have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Paper Mario, check to see what you said on his day!

Original the Character Shadow the Hedgehog, Miiverse's 2nd Most Wanted Character
Chance:
0%

I gave Tails and Knuckles a 1%, eventually I will give Eggman 1%. The reason why is that these characters are rather popular and important to the Sonic franchise.
Shadow is popular, but his importance has dwindled. He also has quite the hatebase from Sonic fans; he is like Krystal from Star Fox in a sense that he symbolizes Sonic's downfall to them. While the series has picked up back from its feet, Shadow hasn't been in recent, main Sonic games, bar Generations.
He has the benefit of easily being a semi-clone of Sonic, but I can't see him get in over Sonic's Luigi Tails, the fan favorite Knuckles, and the villainous Eggman.
Want: 0%
Unlike most people, I do like Shadow, but he would be a wasted spot. If you are going to put in another Sonic character, at least add Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman.

Paper Mario
Chance:
3%

What's that I hear? Paper Mario can get in and rep his own series? This argument has frustrated me for so long. Why?
PAPER MARIO IS NOT A GIANT OR FULLY ESTABLISHED FRANCHISE! IT'S A SPIN-OFF SERIES OF THE MARIO GAMES, BUT IT'S NOT AS BIG AS OR AS DEVELOPED AS DONKEY KONG, YOSHI, OR WARIO FOR PAPER MARIO TO COMPLETELY REPRESENT HIS OWN FRANCHISE! IF PAPER MARIO WANTS TO GET IN, HE HAS TO COMPETE WITH OTHER MARIO CHARACTERS!
Now with that out of the way, I have drastically lowered his scores as Rosalina basically annihilated his.
The odds of getting another Mario rep are low. While Paper Mario is an often requested and popular choice, I do believe that the stakes are now higher for another Mario rep. That 6th slot has to go to a character that is not only popular, but has an impressive resume and has some prominence within the Mario series.
The Paper Mario sub-series is not as important as the regular Mario games and Paper Mario himself doesn't have the longevity of Toad, nor the popularity of Bowser Jr.
To his credit, he would be an easy clone or semi-clone of Mario. However, I doubt Sakurai will add him instead of Bowser Jr., who I've said is not only more popular, but is also far more important to Mario. If there is a 6th Mario rep, it's Bowser Jr. or bust.
I love the Paper Mario series, but I don't want Paper Mario in Smash. I want Bowser Jr. first and foremost; I think that he would be an excellent choice for the 6th Mario rep. And then there is Toad, a popular character that does deserve to get into Smash. I much rather have these characters before Paper Mario.
Lastly, I hate having two of the same character on the roster. Paper Mario… is just a flat Mario. He would be boring.
"But he would be unique!"
I doubt it. Didn't people say the same for Toon Link pre-Brawl and look where he ended up as, an infamous semi-clone. While Paper Mario isn't known to utilize Fireballs often nor does he use a Cape and FLUDD, my gut is telling me that Sakurai will give him these moves regardless. It would be easy roster filler that would tick me off.
Add in a more interesting character.

Arino Prediction: .64%
I dunno.
Other M Ridley Prediction: 70.24%
Nearly identical to Ridley's scores. Bias for the purple space dragon will save this.

Nominations: Captain Rainbow 5x
@ Groose Groose , Including these nominations, Captain Rainbow should have 45 nominations now. I think that you are giving my nominations to "Captain Rainbow with Nick," which is something completely different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
ow the edge.jpg
: 0.55%
Was an AT, true, but he's quite similar design-wise to a palette-swapped Sonic. Furthermore, he might actually be 2edgy for Sakurai.

Want: 20.5%
I once played his game with my roommate. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Paper Mario: 74%

Want: 95%

Arino prediction: 0.59%
Other Ridley prediction: 26.26%

Nominate:
Lucas (The Wizard) x5
Surprised that's even on the list.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Shadow:
Want 0% Chance 5%(being generous)
I don't want another Sonic character but if another was in it totally won't be Shadow.

Paper Mario:
Want 95% Chance 30%
Paper Mario is great and would perfectly round out the secondary Mario series with DK, Yoshi and Wario.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Both Shantae and the concept of unlockable newcomers have been added to the popularity chart. Shantae ranked 66th for potential newcomers. Unlockable newcomers are ranked 4th for concepts.

Shadow
Chance: 2% - It's a genuine possibility. There's unfortunately no written rule (but it's still very safe to assume) that third parties can't have two reps. Shadow is very popular among Sonic fans and is an easy clone. In the extremely unlikely event that we get two Sonic reps he'll be a front runner.
Want: 0% - GET OFF OUR PROPERTY!!!!

Paper Mario
Chance: 26% - This will probably be one of the craziest posts I've made but please give me a chance to plead my case.

1. Mario still has a pretty good chance of getting a sixth rep (I'd say about 50/50) remember that Mario Bros is the most successful franchise in the history of video games. Also it got five reps in Melee which had a much smaller roster.
2. Even if it doesn't. It shouldn't matter too much as Paper Mario will more likely than not rep his own franchise. Remember that Paper Mario has only ever appeared in his own spinoff series and never in an actual main series Mario game. Paper Mario games also have there own unique lore and characters not found anywhere else.
3. Like fellow 2D character Mr. Game & Watch, he should be very easy to animate and would minimize production time while still being a popular choice.

Overall I don't think he was hurt by Rosalina's reveal nearly as much as Bowser Jr. was and I rank him as being one of the top 15 most likely newcomers.

Want: 15% - That being said, there are a lot of other characters I'd rather see.

Arino prediction: 0.1%
Other M Ridley prediction: 50%

Nominations: <10% chance character becomes playable. x5

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Shadow Chance: 0.2%
Before Tails and Eggman? It's not your turn, Black Sonic. You'll have to wait till SSB20 where 3rd parties actually get multiple reps per series.
Shadow Want: 0%
Wow, and I thought Sandbag would be the only "character" I ever give a 0% to, nope.
If we're getting another Sega character, gimme Bayonetta, not this crap.
Paper Mario Chance: 3%
He's Mario. It's not like Yoshi, Wario, and DK, how they are actually distinguishable characters. But he's actually the same character, but 2D.
inb4 people use Toon Link to justify Paper Mario... ugh...
Seriously, don't even try that, especially because I'm against Toon Link's inclusion in the first place.
Paper Mario Want: 0%
I don't want to play as another Mario. I don't care if he has a hammer, and he fights for his friends... or any of that! I don't care if he has a unique moveset, I do not want to play... as a 2nd Mario. We finally got rid of that crap in Brawl, let it stay dead.
Thank you.
2 out of 3 0s for want I've ever given were given today...

Arino: 1.6%
I've got no clue who this is.
Other M Ridley: 69.69% :smirk:

x5 Gardevoir

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Shadow: Double Zeroes

Paper Mario: 12% Chance / 100% Want
Being the star of his own series is what stops Rosalina from totally annihilating him.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Shadow
chance 1% Maybe as late clone material? He is popularly requested but he might as well return as an assist.
want 0%

Paper Mario
chance 20% Seems reasonable but not likely, he's got his own rpg line and could be easy enough to implement.
want 5% I'd rather see another Mario character if there had to be a second.

x5 Dr. Lobe

predict 0.7% and 66.66%

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
Shadow:
Chance: 0%
I don't want 3rd parties to get second reps until some of the important missing Nintendo characters get in, and when they do I'd put Tails or Knuckles or Eggman in first.

Paper Mario:
Chance: 10%
Want: 30%
Before Rosalina I could've seen it, and I might've really liked it, but now I don't expect it or want it. Mario is good until DK gets another rep or two.

x5 Crash Bandicoot

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Shadow - 5%
Paper Mario - 35%

predict Arino 0.10%
Other M Ridley 25%

Prince Fluff (Kirby) x5
Midna & Wolf Link x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Shadow the hedgehog:
Likelihood: 0%
The Sonic series is not likely to get another character character, and Shadow is one of the lower choices, after Tails, Eggman, Amy and Knuckles.

He's probably one of the worst choices for a 3rd party, at least for me. I don't hate him that much, he's seriously undeserving of a roster spot.

Paper Mario:
Likelihood: 4%
Rosalina tore his chances to shreds.

Want: 35%
Wouldn't mind him. I liked the original Paper Mario and TTYD, and they are among my favourite games of all time. But I already got my fill of a Mario newcomer with Rosalina, and I'd rather see smaller series getting characters first.

Predicting 0.9% for Arino and 45% for Other M Ridley.

Wild Gunman x 5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Shadow the Hedgehog
Chance: 0%
No, seriously.
We have yet to see a third party get TWO reps, and Shadow would be so damn similar to Sonic it's not even worth his inclusion. Sega aren't even using the black hedgehog as much these days; he was a cheap way of getting lives in Sonic Generations, he was suspiciously missing from Sonic and the Lost World, Sonic 4 excluded all characters outside Sonic, Tails, Eggman and Metal Sonic(yes even Knuckles) and seems to be suspiciously missing as well from Sonic Boom whilst Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy(yes Amy beat him into getting in Sonic Boom as a more unique character) are all playable characters.

Shadow does have some things going in his favour to be fair; he was an Assist Trophy, he's very popular on Miiverse and he starred in his own game.

However...Waluigi was an Assist Trophy, Goku is very popular on Miiverse(one reason I don't take it seriously) and both Tails and Knuckles have also starred in their own games and are more involved with recent Sonic than Shadow is.

When you get down to brass tacks Shadow is hugely unlikely to appear to the point that I'd be more surprised by his inclusion than I was with Wii Fit Trainer.

Want: -1000000000%(or 0%)
Oh Shadow...where to begin even explaining why I dislike you?

Okay let's start with his first appearance. Sonic Adventure 2. This may surprise you but...I actually really liked Shadow here! No really! He made for a decent rival to Sonic, he had a tragic backstory (albeit repeatedly moaning about Maria got irritating. We didn't forget in the past five minutes Sega, you don't need to force it down our throats) and his character arc was actually pretty good;

!SPOILERS AHEAD!
In the end Shadow makes a heroic sacrifice to save everyone, redeeming himself from his past crimes. It's fairly tragic, but a wonderful end to Shadow's story.

BUT. Sega underestimated exactly how popular Shadow would end up. What to do? They killed him off!

Why don't we bring him back in Sonic Heroes. As a robot. Or not. Or a clone. Or a...
Yes; Shadow's revival was a ham fisted attempt to cash in on the black and red hedgehog's popularity boost. It made no sense that Shadow was alive, and even by the end of Heroes no one was sure what the hell was going on.

So Sega made THAT game. Shadow's self titled game; a darker and edgier game where you could use guns and ride motorcycles(which was pointless since you were faster than them anyway) and hopefully explain the mess that they'd made in the narrative.

Only it was open ended. The true ending ended up being that Shadow was made from the blood of the villain in that game. It didn't make too much sense. Not even sure if it was explained how he didn't die which was the only thing I wanted to know anyway.

After Sonic Adventure 2, and the discovery of Shadow's cynical marketing potential Sega began ramming Shadow down our throats at every possible opportunity. He began appearing in every Sonic game they could shoehorn him in, which would be bad enough but it was at the expense of other fan favourites Tails and ESPECIALLY Knuckles, whom Shadow dethroned as Sonic's main rival and began to seriously *ahem* over-shadow him.

Note; I am not a fan of companies cynically ramming their newest cash cow character down my throat at every opportunity. Nintendo are currently doing it with Rosalina, and have done it with Jr, Petey and Yoshi way back when. I hated every time they did this; even with Yoshi who is my favourite video game character. If the character has appeal you don't need to shoe horn them in everywhere; people will want them. I'm not saying Rosalina, Jr., Petey or Yoshi don't have appeal, but it shouldn't have to feel forced.

Aside from my personal dislike of companies policy of doing the above Shadow also has the unfortunate implication of having his first appearance mark the start of the dark ages of Sonic. Sonic Adventure 2 was pretty good...Heroes was not so much. It only got worse from there until Colours and Generations appeared.
Sonic 06 starred Sonic, Shadow and yet another hedgehog; Silver, each having their own story campaign. Largely considered the worst game in the series.
Shadow the Hedgehog is largely considered one of the most ill thought out ideas for a spinoff with it's emphasis on darker topics.
Basically Shadow highlights the moment where Sega lost their sense of dignity and creative license instead trying to appeal to a 'mature' audience which ironically was done in one of the most immature ways possible this side of Duke Nukem.

(Technically you could blame Rouge as well who appeared at the same time as Shadow, but unlike him she didn't tend to have large roles in the series.)

Lastly, and this is a personal hate of mine; Shadow's a lazy ass character design. I absolutely can not stand it when companies take the protagonist, paint them a darker colour, make them darker and edgier, almost mirror the protagonists abilities and claim it's an exciting new character. It's the laziest character creation in the world and Sega should feel ashamed how they've managed to somehow mirror their fanbase by introducing what is basically a Sonic fan character into the series. Someone was paid to come up with the lazy idea for a character. Actually paid.

I give Jr. **** for this too; take a previous character and alter them ever so slightly to make a new character. In Jr.'s case it's actually kind of funny that the one he was basically traced off of; Baby Bowser, has now come full circle and Yoshi's New Island's Baby Bowser is using Bowser Jr.'s model complete with horns and identical hairstyle. The inclusion of a bib makes it unique you guys.

So to sum up(if you can't be bothered to read the above; couldn't blame you) the reasons I dislike Shadow are multiple;
  1. Sega's butchering of his story(marking the end of Sonic Team's creative integrity)
  2. His constant shoe-horning in is a horribly cynical attempt to make money off the back of his popularity in Sonic Adventure 2 rather than the quality of the game itself.
  3. He unfortunately marks the start of the dark ages of the Sonic series
  4. He is one of the least creative designed characters ever made outside his rocket shoes(which I'll admit are sort of neat, but rollerskating isn't the same as running at the speed of sound and it sort of looks silly for such a 'dark' character)
  5. Overshadowed more creative Sonic characters for a while back there that had been fan favourites for years; namely Tails and Knuckles.
  6. Darker, edgier, more 'mature' game was one of the dumbest ideas for a Sonic game. Shadow is still an anthropomorphic hedgehog who roller skates fast. How can anyone take that seriously? Adding guns doesn't help.
Also for Smash I just don't feel he's needed. Sonic can essentially do most the things Shadow can and I don't really want a carbon copy of the most broken Final Smash in Brawl, thank you very much. Both Tails and Knuckles can at least do different things to the hedgehogs with their tech(Tails), aerial abilities(shared) and physical prowess(Knux) should a secondary Sonic character HAVE to happen...and then there's Eggman.

Paper Mario
Chance: 8%

Rosalina. Also Doctor Mario seems more likely as the secondary Mario of choice with Sakurai. He sure loves that guy!

Want: 12%
Not a fan of duplicate characters which Paper Mario comes under. Toon Link I prefer to Link, but still feel he wasn't overly essential. At least Toon Link is meant to be a different individual though.

Would want a Paper Mario stage or Assist Trophy over the character honestly, and unless Papes came with some partners in his attacks I wouldn't even want him as much as my want score currently states. Sorry guy. At least you're not Shadow.

Predictions:
Arino: 0.3%

Sorry, who is this? I'm going to need to do some research here I've never even heard of this character.

Other M Ridley: 60%
Providing Ridley gets in considering all the other Metroid stuff is based off of Other M there's little reason he wouldn't be.

Nominations:
Dillon X 5

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Paper Mario

Chance: 15%: It feels a little weird putting the chances this low, but I really don't see Paper Mario being added in. This has to do with us already having a new Mario character in Smash Bros, Rosalina. Paper Mario being a flat character could also take away from what made Mr. Game and Watch so different from the rest of the cast too. It could also be possible to simply make him a clone of Mario, however likely it may be. And if that's the case, you might as well have Doctor Mario instead, with an unchanged Melee moveset.

Want: 70%: I still think Paper Mario would have enough to work with to make a decent character. He's not my most wanted choice, but I still think he's cool.

Shadow aka: Ow the Edge

Chance: 0.1%: Sega doesn't seem to care about shoving him down the throats of the masses anymore. This makes him no longer a top priority like he was a few years back for Sega. Then you have to consider what would be Sega's second choice for a character in Smash, chances are it's either someone from a different series or another popular Sonic character. The latter seems more likely, so we'd probably get Tails or Knuckles.

Want: 0%: I don't care for Shadow too much these days. I don't hate him, but I don't like him. So, I would prefer to get someone like Tails, Eggman, or Knuckles as a second Sonic character. If I was being honest, I'd prefer a second Megaman character, like Bass, Megaman X, or Zero, however likely they may be.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Paper Mario

Chance: 15%

Want: 60%

Don't care too much either way for Paper Mario. Rosalina I think really kinda dropped him from about 30% to just half that. But Sticker Star still exists to be possible for promotion, and if there's anyone that will rep the Mario RPGs it will be Paper Mario. It'd be really awesome if part of his moveset included Partners from Thousand Year Door or even the first Paper Mario. Not entirely based on the sticker stuff from the latest game.

Shadow the Hedgehog

Chance: 0.01%

If there's even a slight chance there will be a 2nd rep from the Sonic series. Shadow is not even the most deserving of the spot. Tails, Knuckles, Robotnik/Eggman, and even Amy Rose all deserve spots before Shadow.

I'm a big Sonic fan. If it got a 2nd Sonic rep, it'd pleasantly surprise me. But if it was Shadow, it would actually piss me off. And there's not alot of characters I'd say that would piss me off if they got in (I've even defended the much hated Miis on multiple occasions on Smashboards). So that's saying alot.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I just found out who Arino is;

Who, just like Dr. Kawashima and "Reggii" is a real life person in game form:

Alright which one of you has been nominating real life people again?

Grab your pitchforks folks, it's an old fashioned witch hunt!

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Shadow's chances: 0.5% - I don't think a second Sonic character is impossible, just extremely unlikely. If there was a second, I feel like he'd be one of the frontrunners.
Want: 0% - I actually kind of like Shadow, but I don't want two characters from the same third party series, and if we had to get a second, he shouldn't get in over Tails or Knuckles.

Paper Mario's chances: 3% - I highly doubt he would be a part of the main Mario series if he got in. He would probably represent the series of the same name. However that doesn't help his chances much at all because I'm really not expecting another Mario spin-off to get represented.
Want: 0% - Still don't like the idea, sorry.

Arino prediction: 0.03% - ...what?
Other M Ridley prediction: 60.69% - Should do well.

Zoroark 5

Smady

Smash Master

Arino is actually not the same as Dr. Kawashima or Reggii.

I'm going to save my actual information on the character for when he's being rated, but suffice to say he's a real character who is simply based on Arino and is not meant to be the real guy. Besides, he's a gaming cultural icon in Japan, so the usual real person rules may not apply. It'd be fair to say that they do if this was for his TV show appearance rather than his role in a video game, that he also helped to create himself. It's a fairly unique and fun insert into the game, compared to a generic Mii that every famous Nintendo developer has, or the brain training guy. After all, it's a bunch of traditional games.

Shadow the Hedgehog

0.1% Chance: Sonic has two characters that could get in realistically within this game and the next: Tails and Robotnik. Both have appeared since the earliest games and continue to be prominent to this day, although they've gone through periods of inactivity, they are considered pillars of the series' cast. They also have the best potential of any Sonic character (that is remotely popular) to have a unique set.

Shadow's problem is similar to other side characters in Sonic: he's practically a clone, the abilities he can use are fairly random and Sega has largely abandoned its wider array of characters. Big the Cat is sadly retired from making any game appearances, but on the bright side so is Shadow. Not to imply Sega has any say in which of their characters get in, I find that line of thinking rather fatuous considering all of the times it has been made clear that Sakurai has creative control on the roster.

The things that Shadow can do, they're simply best left to an assist trophy, making him playable could result in an interesting set but so could an infinite number of third-parties. For a good third-party, you need a representative of the franchise (because it's likely they'll be the only one) or a character who best sums up aspects of the series the protagonist doesn't. That bodes well for Tails (the sidekick/second player) and Robotnik (the antagonist/villain), Shadow is basically worse Knuckles (rival/third player) who is below 1% in chance.

0% Want: I don't like the Sonic franchise and Shadow the Hedgehog represents the part of it that is totally alien to me. I only played the original two games, that's all. It may not be fair to judge on second-hand sources, but I never much liked Shadow or most of the tertiary characters, especially when they're multi-colored hedgehogs.

What truly plunges Shadow to zero for me is that it'd kill the chances of Robotnik and to a much smaller extent (in terms of who I want) Tails, both deserve to be in Smash Bros long before any other Sonic character. Shadow is far too irrelevant and not popular enough to block those two.

Paper Mario

5% Chance: It's a numbers game. Mario has the most characters and got a newcomer already, there's little chance they'd add yet another newcomer who is another version of Mario. Sticker Star was a thing, sure, it was relatively successful, but it hardly gives any amazing potential for a set besides what the series already had with Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario. At best I can see a prop-filled set.

0% Want: The bottom of the barrel for me in terms of Mario reps. Waluigi first of all, a parade of others, then Paper Mario. I'd take Dr. Mario over Paper Mario. I've never been into Paper Mario besides SPM and Sticker Star looked horrendously watered down. I would love to see the more fun side characters in the series that represent the eccentric characters you find all over the place in the older Paper Mario games, but you know, in this case I think I'm fine with not getting that if it means we need another Mario as a gateway newcomer. Anyway, we'd probably not get another Paper Mario rep.

Arino Prediction: 0.25%
Going to be plenty of abstains and zeros, it's an unconventional choice that won't appeal to most people.
Other M Ridley Prediction: 70%
Random high guess because it's the latest form of Ridley.

Jack Frost x5

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Shadow - 0.1%

Eligible? Yes.

Likely? Not a chance.

So far no third party has gotten a second character, which is mainly to keep the roster from having too many third parties, and because said third parties must be "legendary".

If Shadow DID get in, he would most likely be a Sonic clone, and Sonic is one the last character I would ever think would get a clone.

Want - 0%

Sonic clone for Sm4sh?

No thank you.

Paper Mario 5%

I suppose it's possible Paper Mario could be a clone, but it seems unlikely Sakurai would add him just for the sake of adding a Mario clone, if anything I'd think he be added for uniqueness, but with Rosalina being in, Paper Mario's chances have shot down. I suppose he still has a very small chance.

Want - 80%

He was one of my preferred choices for a Mario newcomer prior to Rosalina's reveal, being second to Bowser Jr.

Arino Prediction - 0.30%

Other M Ridley Prediction - 75.68%

Jack Frost x2

Happy Mask Salesman x3

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Shadow:

Chance: 0.01%
Sakurai looks towards more retro third parties, and therefore Tails and Knuckle have the edge on the edge hog.
And before any brings up the AT, remember that Sonic was rushed into the game and Shadow is much more similar to Sonic's model allowing a much quicker implementation.

He exemplifies a mis-step in the Sonic franchise.

Paper Mario:

Chance: 0.4%
I still think Jr's in, and as such think there's even less chance of any other Mario universe character.. however Paper Mario is the definite second place.

Want: 10%
That's a lot of Mario characters, and it's Mario, which isn't too exciting. Luigi is already pretty much to Mario's Toon Link, we don't need another.

Arino: 0.03%
Real life person. Third Party game.

Other M Ridley: 73.98%
I'm sure pretty much everyone agrees Ridley will be the Other:M variety at this point, even if they may prefer the original design.

Slime*5
(Ooze nominating real goo-mans again? And goo went for Retro Game Challenge? Also Guaudia Quest was such a rip off!)

Last edited:

Karafuru

Smash Apprentice
Shadow the Hedgehog:
-Chance: 0%
He isn't as iconic and important as Tails or some other Sonic characters.
-Want: 0%
There is another Sega rep that I would prefer much more before another Sonic character.

Paper Mario:
-Chance 12%
His chances were greatly diminished by the reveal of Rosalina.
-Want: 0%
Don't particularly dislike the character, but there are other series that deserve more reps than another Mario one.

Predictions:
-Arino: 0.04%
-Other M Ridley: 45%

Nominations: Jack Frost (Hee ho! Almost there~)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Game Master Arino?

Are you telling me there are others!?!?!

image.jpg

Looks like you're not alone Mr. Keene.....

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Paper Mario Chance: 7% I think he has a chance, uniqueness is going for him, but I feel he doesn't have the merits to become playable.
Paper Mario Want: 5% Always found the paper ability as bland for some reason.

@ Groose Groose It's a great film. I think you might like the story and songs in the movie too.

Nominations:
x5 All Popular Newcomer Candidates.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Shadow the Hedgehog

Chance - 0% - Even if we got another Sonic charater, Tails or Eggman would get priorty, I'd think. Add that to me not thinking we'll get a Sonic Charater in the first place...

Want - 0% - Nope. I'd rather not double up on third parties just yet.

Paper Mario

Chance - 0.05% - An outside chance as a last-minute clone. Yeah, Rossalina and all. Tough luck, I guess.

Want - 35% - Not really changing.

Predictions

Arino - 0.34% - Take everything wrong with Dr. Kawashima, and make him a third party charater. How encouraging!

Other M Ridley - 74% - Yep, slightly higher than Ridley's score. Isn't that bold!

Nominations
Chrom as Assist Trophy X5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom