• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Athena Cykes:
Chance: 1%. It's bad enough being a one-time character in a first-party franchise.
Want: 0.1%. Honestly, I felt she sort of disrupted the thematic consistency in Dual Destinies and isn't a good representation of Ace Attorney as a whole.

Nutty Noon Stage:
Chance: 5%. It's a Kirby stage, but I don't see what makes it better than, say, a new Green Greens.

Want: 5%. I don't really care.

Professor Gadd: 10%. Good man.
Improved Stage Builder: 55%. Yes.
Nominations: Lucina w/ Mask Transformation x5.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Athena:

Chance:
I love me some ancient Greek mythology, but I think real life goddesses are a bit too much for smash...

Pardon? Fictional Character?

Right!

Chance:
I love me some Saint Seiya, but surely the min character would be first... and she looks a bit too similar to Palutena... and Goku would be more likely for Jump... Wait, aren't fourth parties ineligible?

Oh? Wrong Athena? You mean one from a video-game?

Gotcha!

Chance:
I love me some Athena action, but she's a little scantily dressed... and SNK are unlikely to get a rep... and she's not the obvious pick for one anyway... and she'd be another swords person... and she's most recognisable from her appearance in another fighting game... doesn't that make her ineligible?

Hmm? Not SNK?

Ooooh!!!

Chance:
I generally dislike no-hope Fire Emblem character discussion, but that's normally for Awakening... A bit of Shadow Dragon really helps change the mood... but she's a bit forgettable....

HUH?! Seriously? Just show me a picture already!

Who the hell is that?!?!

Ace Attourney? Isn't that about Phoenix Wright? And Third Party? From a party who's already got a rep? And the same party who has wildly successful franchises like Monster Hunter? And memorable retro franchises like Ghost n' Goblins? And hasn't she only appeared in one game?

What are we rating her for?!

Chance: 0%
Want: 0%

Nutty Noon:

Chance: 6%
I'm almost certain we'll get a Return to Dreamland stage, and the backdrop to Nutty Noon is pretty impressive, so it may be chosen as a stage for that reason... but ultimately I think there are more memorable areas for level design, and ones that are more plot relevant... I think Nutty Noon is not one of the likely stage possibilities from RtD, but far from impossible.

There are other places I'd prefer to see, and it'd probably be a bit bland to me.

E Gadd: 3.11%
Better than King Boo, but not by much.

Improved Stage Builder: 72%
Why wouldn't they? Even just being able to use the game pad is an improvement.

Fatal Frame*5
(I wish I'd written creepy messages under these nominations, it's a bit late to start now)

PS: SNKs Athena getting in would be pretty cool... not gonna happen, but I still like her!

Last edited:

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
I finally return, and THIS is the day I come back to? What!?

Athena:
Chance: I'd sooner believe in the first three people on @ Cheezey Bites Cheezey Bites post. So...0.02%
Want: 0% Never have played Ace Attorney.

Nutty Noon:
Chance: 50% If there's a Kirby game represented, Return to Dreamland is without a doubt going to be it. I think it's more likely for Cookie Country though...
Want: 90% I'd prefer Cookie Country, but if anything else, I'd probably choose this one.

E. Gadd: 0.05% Not very likely, to put simply.
Improved Stage Builder: 75% Cause why the hell not? I don't see any reason not to.

x5 Dragon Roost Island
That's right. I want it (with remix of original theme would be beyond cool!).

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Who the hell is that?!?!

Ace Attourney? Isn't that about Phoenix Wright? And Third Party? From a party who's already got a rep? And the same party who has wildly successful franchises like Monster Hunter? And memorable retro franchises like Ghost n' Goblins? And hasn't she only appeared in one game?

Your accusations are correct, dear chance rater. Athena is but a tyro on the legal scene.

However, I am disappointed with your post as a whole. For there is one version of Athena that you neglected to mention...

Palutena is also an adaptation of Athena!

It's clear that you cannot yet be called an Ace Detective, my Slime-obsessed friend!
(Random note: the results section has Shulk's first day listed as "Day ???". Looking back, it appears it was Day 6, in case Groose wants to fix it.)

That's odd. Why would I do something like that?

Hmm. I must have been too busy to look it up, and decided to wait until someone did my job for me.

As they should. After all, I am abso-posi-lutely perfect, and I cannot waste my time attending to such matters.
Athena Cykes Chance: 0.00000001%
We already have a Crapcom representative, and even if there was a second one, Pheonix would come before Athena.

Athena Cykes Want: Negative 100%
I am holding a serious grudge towards Duel Destinies. Stupid M-Rating. Stupid self-age. Stupid ESRB.

Hey! It's not fair to pick on Dual Destinies because of its rating!

It was actually a really good game, even tough it's a bit too easy and has more blood and morbid humor than usual.

Why I'd even put it as my second favorite title in the series... behind T&T, for obvious reasons...

I mean, sure, they did replace me with some new detective, but...

There's no way they'll use him over me again. I'm sure of that one, pal!
Seeing all of these nominations for Shulk kinda scares me… am I the only one who thinks that he is perfectly fine where he is? I don't think that he needs to be rerated. Nothing has changed from the last time we rated him.

I can't say I understand it, either. We'll raise the same questions, give the same scores.

What's the point?

Why don't you wait and see? Perhaps things will indeed change.

We will claw and scratch for every inch... but we will reach that one single truth!

This I promise you.
I was going to prepare an overly long post on Athena because she's one of my favorite characters ever.

...but then my computer ate it.

and I got mad.

I want to put it on trial now.

Nutty Noon:
0% Chance / 0% Want
...What?

Athena Cykes:
I'ma start with the obvious one.
Chance: 0.04%
At least beat Yarne+Owain please. That's like all I ask for.
...though it'd be super hilarious if she beat Pheonix Wright himself, I can't objectively give her a 0.6%.

Want: 100%
I'm a really new Ace Attorney guy, and I can say Athena alone hooked me on enjoying Dual Destinies. I've only had it for around 7 weeks, but it's clocked in over 70 hours of playtime and is in my top 4 3DS games (with Fire Emblem Awakening, Kid Icarus Uprising and Mario Kart 7 beating it). I'm majorly hooked on the series now, and it's really all just because of her character. I can't say much more without spoiling the game, so I'll continue my rant in the collapse tag.

I find Athena a character who's easy for me to relate to. Moving on from tragedy is tough, and I find it inspiring how quickly she decided to move on past her past of her mom's death and do something about it. Her consistent fear of not being heard is something I can also relate with, though it doesn't paralyze me like it did to her in her past, Case 1 and Case 3. Psychologically trying to understand people is my one main scientific area, and I found the Mood Matrix really cool for this. Trying to understand the sources of everyone's emotional problems, like with Robin's Brace, Jinxie's fear of Yokoi and Simon's... attachment to Athena made it feel like I was doing more than being a defense attorney. I was actually helping these characters improve their lives, and it was really cool. It made them feel less like pixels on the screen (which I feel a lot with most games, especially Pokemon) and like actual people. Finally, her spunky personality is incredibly awesome, especially that scene when she flings the police officer and he lands on Apollo. Her facial expressions are the best, and I wish there were more rips of them from the game because I'd use them everywhere. The final scene of the game when she figures out that her earring can prove who killed her mom was so cool just because of her response to it. Trucy was cute. Phoenix was kinda funny. I didn't like Simon and I found Apollo very frustrating to deal with. So again, it's really just because of Athena that made me love Dual Destinies so much.

Also I couldn't believe it when I found that Tragic Memories was a remix of Courtroom Revolutionaire. End rant.

Also Courtroom Revolutionaire is a very motivating song and I will put it on loop for hours when doing homework.

I'll skip on nominating for a while because I'm out of characters who I really want to be in the game (and I'm pretty sure you guys don't want me to nominate her again :p).

Why, it's quite okay that you're new to the Ace Attorney franchise. Why, when I was a lad, I didn't know anything about it either...
According to my 3DS, the first time I ever played an Ace Attorney game was March 30, 2013...
Yeah, that's less than a year ago! Wow, it seems like so much time looking back on it...
You kno
I mean, could you imagine the version of me that never played a game in that series...
You know, I've played all five main series games in that time period, and beaten most cases two or three times...
Why, it's impacted my life!
If you never played an Ace Attorney game, you need to get one!
They're some of the best games of all time, I'm telling you...
The music! The characters! The hilarity! The gravity!
Seriously, though!

Why, you young rapscallions! If you haven't tried the game yet, you're in my sight!
I think that this game should be mandatory to play through for all whippersnappers!
The witnesses in this game can teach you important life lessons! Like how to be truthful and romantic!
Why, in...

Mam, I'm afraid you're getting off-topic. Please stick to the point!

Don't you dare interrupt me, you old fool!
Think of the message that would send to the children!

Yes, mam!

No, no, no, please, by all means interrupt her! Please!

Anyway, I was going to point out a major flaw in your line of reasoning!
Athena was okay. She was a pretty good character, and she really did have that dynamic backstory to her...

But Simon was clearly the star of the game!
I mean, he was so calm, so composed, so utterly handsome!
Oh, I don't know how the youth of our world has fallen to such a point!
Not liking Simon and loving Athena? I fear for the sanity of our children!
Why, when I was a kid, everyone loved the prosecutors! They were the good guys!

I blame that dreadful Mr. Wright! He's the one who started it all! All of his bluffing turned people on the prosecutors!
He cross-examined me a couple of times, too. Even with Edgey on hand to help me out, those interrogations were brutal!
Why, I can't understand why anyone would prefer an unsophisticated lawyer over the elegance that is the prosecution!
And...

The prosecution has no further questions for this witness. You are dismissed.

Anywho, onto the finale... the rating! I apologize for Oldbag's wall of text. It's why I hesitate to bring her out.

Court is now in session for the trial of Athena Cykes.

The defense is ready, Your Honor!

But, uh... have you seen Mr. Edgeworth?
There's nobody at the prosecutor's bench!

Why, a prosecutor who doesn't show up to court? I'm nor sure how I feel about this!

Well, that must mean that they have no confidence in their case. I suppose the defendant is completely likely!
I hereby declare Athena Cykes...

Woah, hold it there! Edgey sent me here to give you a message!
'
I kinda got distracted talking to this really pretty Dahlia lady in the Courtroom Lounge. Sorry I'm late.

Edgey said that there's no point in him even showing up for this trial!

Athena has no chance of getting in over Edgey or Nick! Even if she is a hot one!

Why, I'm not sure how I feel about this!

If the prosecutor is so confident in his case, it must mean it's completely solid.

OF BEING COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!

When something smells... it's usually the Butz!

Athena Cykes Chance: 0%

Phoenix has maybe a .01% shot, and nobody else has any chance whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they're a red monkey or a yellow monkey... their chances are completely nonexistent.

Athena Cykes Want: 0%
I actually do like the character, but I don't really think it makes sense to have anyone other than Phoenix to ever be in Smash, and even that's stretching it. He, Edgeworth, and Godot are the only characters from the franchise I wouldn't object to.

Nutty Noon Chance: 10%
I just don't really see it. It's not a lock that we get a stage specifically from Return to Dreamland, and the Starcutter or Cookie Country seem a whole lot more likely in my eyes.

Nutty Noon Want: 55%
I don't really have much of an opinion here. It would be a good area for a Kirby stage, I suppose; that scenic background would be pretty great.

Miis x5

DAY OVER

...THUS ENDS THE TRIAL OF ATHENA CYKES

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Athena Cykes (Ace Attorney)
0.03% chance
6.08% want

...tied for last in chance. Outright last in want. What more do I have to say?

Nutty Noon Stage
14.32% chance
48.59% want

It's tough for me to come up with witty things to say about stages. I guess I can say that this one is slightly unwanted and not very expected?

Who's the old man living in the haunted mansion? Ya better know his name because it's E... GADD! Please rate Elvin Gadd in chance and want today. In addition, we're here to talk about the stage builder feature. Will it be brought back and expanded upon in this game? Note: if it only happens in one installment, it still counts. Please rate an improved stage builder in chance and want.

Midna has flown up the nominations list and will be rated tomorrow. In addition, we'll be rating... a Cookie Country stage. Please predict Midna and Cookie Country.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Your accusations are correct, dear chance rater. Athena is but a tyro on the legal scene.

However, I am disappointed with your post as a whole. For there is one version of Athena that you neglected to mention...

Palutena is also an adaptation of Athena!

It's clear that you cannot yet be called an Ace Detective, my Slime-obsessed friend!

Hmm. I must have been too busy to look it up, and decided to wait until someone did my job for me.

As they should. After all, I am abso-posi-lutely perfect, and I cannot waste my time attending to such matters.

Hey! It's not fair to pick on Dual Destinies because of its rating!

It was actually a really good game, even tough it's a bit too easy and has more blood and morbid humor than usual.

Why I'd even put it as my second favorite title in the series... behind T&T, for obvious reasons...

I mean, sure, they did replace me with some new detective, but...

There's no way they'll use him over me again. I'm sure of that one, pal!

I can't say I understand it, either. We'll raise the same questions, give the same scores.

What's the point?

Why don't you wait and see? Perhaps things will indeed change.

We will claw and scratch for every inch... but we will reach that one single truth!

This I promise you.

Why, it's quite okay that you're new to the Ace Attorney franchise. Why, when I was a lad, I didn't know anything about it either...
According to my 3DS, the first time I ever played an Ace Attorney game was March 30, 2013...
Yeah, that's less than a year ago! Wow, it seems like so much time looking back on it...
You kno
I mean, could you imagine the version of me that never played a game in that series...
You know, I've played all five main series games in that time period, and beaten most cases two or three times...
Why, it's impacted my life!
If you never played an Ace Attorney game, you need to get one!
They're some of the best games of all time, I'm telling you...
The music! The characters! The hilarity! The gravity!
Seriously, though!

Why, you young rapscallions! If you haven't tried the game yet, you're in my sight!
I think that this game should be mandatory to play through for all whippersnappers!
The witnesses in this game can teach you important life lessons! Like how to be truthful and romantic!
Why, in...

Mam, I'm afraid you're getting off-topic. Please stick to the point!

Don't you dare interrupt me, you old fool!
Think of the message that would send to the children!

Yes, mam!

No, no, no, please, by all means interrupt her! Please!

Anyway, I was going to point out a major flaw in your line of reasoning!
Athena was okay. She was a pretty good character, and she really did have that dynamic backstory to her...

But Simon was clearly the star of the game!
I mean, he was so calm, so composed, so utterly handsome!
Oh, I don't know how the youth of our world has fallen to such a point!
Not liking Simon and loving Athena? I fear for the sanity of our children!
Why, when I was a kid, everyone loved the prosecutors! They were the good guys!

I blame that dreadful Mr. Wright! He's the one who started it all! All of his bluffing turned people on the prosecutors!
He cross-examined me a couple of times, too. Even with Edgey on hand to help me out, those interrogations were brutal!
Why, I can't understand why anyone would prefer an unsophisticated lawyer over the elegance that is the prosecution!
And...

The prosecution has no further questions for this witness. You are dismissed.

Anywho, onto the finale... the rating! I apologize for Oldbag's wall of text. It's why I hesitate to bring her out.

Court is now in session for the trial of Athena Cykes.

The defense is ready, Your Honor!

But, uh... have you seen Mr. Edgeworth?
There's nobody at the prosecutor's bench!

Why, a prosecutor who doesn't show up to court? I'm nor sure how I feel about this!

Well, that must mean that they have no confidence in their case. I suppose the defendant is completely likely!

Woah, hold it there! Edgey sent me here to give you a message!
'
I kinda got distracted talking to this really pretty Dahlia lady in the Courtroom Lounge. Sorry I'm late.

Edgey said that there's no point in him even showing up for this trial!

Athena has no chance of getting in over Edgey or Nick! Even if she is a hot one!

Why, I'm not sure how I feel about this!

If the prosecutor is so confident in his case, it must mean it's completely solid.

OF BEING COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!

When something smells... it's usually the Butz!

Athena Cykes Chance: 0%

Phoenix has maybe a .01% shot, and nobody else has any chance whatsoever. It doesn't matter if they're a red monkey or a yellow monkey... their chances are completely nonexistent.

Athena Cykes Want: 0%
I actually do like the character, but I don't really think it makes sense to have anyone other than Phoenix to ever be in Smash, and even that's stretching it. He, Edgeworth, and Godot are the only characters from the franchise I wouldn't object to.

Nutty Noon Chance: 10%
I just don't really see it. It's not a lock that we get a stage specifically from Return to Dreamland, and the Starcutter or Cookie Country seem a whole lot more likely in my eyes.

Nutty Noon Want: 55%
I don't really have much of an opinion here. It would be a good area for a Kirby stage, I suppose; that scenic background would be pretty great.

Miis x5

DAY OVER

...THUS ENDS THE TRIAL OF ATHENA CYKES

wow, a full out court case with multiple witnesses!

you really outdid yourself this time, groose!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
E. Gadd likelihood: 0.05%
Want: 15%

Improved Stage Builder Likelihood: 80%

Midna: 28%
Cookie Country: 11%

Unlockable Newcomers x5

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
Thank the almighty Groose. I didn't want to be first.

E. Gaddz:
Chance: 1% for putting the E in Effort!
Want: 85% He's my favorite baby-like old man. Who wouldn't want him? Those cute glasses, that egg head, and that one tooth. I think I need a moment.

Improved Stage Builder:
Chance: 75% It was a nice mechanic that could be easily improved. So why not?
Want: 100% Sure. I could finally do something good on there for a change (possibly).

Midna: 60% She's actually growing in popularity as a newcomer choice, so I could see her going pretty high. Maybe even higher than this.
Cookie Country: 85% It would be the cutest stage ever! AHHHHHH! We could even invite the rainbow circles! And Lor Starcutter in the back?

x5 Dragon Roost Island I WILL PUSH IT BY MYSELF IF I HAVE TO.

D

Deleted member

I did want to mention that I looked up Athena's chances hours ago. Before Kenith gave her 1%, she had .0016%… her score couldn't even be rounded up.

*cough*theDirectoryhaseverydaylabeledforyousoIdidthejob*cough*

Professor E. Gadd and Improved Stage Builder have been added to the Directory.

Professor E. Gadd
Chance:
1%

If he was counted as a Luigi character, he would be a frontrunner. Unfortunately… he isn't. Luigi still reps the Mario series, and thus characters like E. Gadd and King Boo are left in the dust. However, he can be unique thanks to his various inventions… though no one seems to be demanding for his inclusion. Even then, his biggest downfall is, again, that he is a Mario character. In this category, it's Bowser Jr. or bust now for the 6th Mario character. Rosalina decimated the chances of every other Mario character.
Want: 80%
He is awesome in every game that he is featured in. He is an incredibly funny and likable character. In fact, I was disappointed to not have seen him for so long, thus his return in Dark Moon was a delight. I dunno if he would transition well in Smash, but he would make for a fun character.

Improved Stage Builder
Chance:
25%

If it returned, I bet Sakurai would go the extra mile to improve upon it. The mode had so many limited options… I bet Sakurai would want to improve something on this. The keyword I said here is "IF". I am incredibly skeptical if it will return. It might or it might not.
Would I like the Stage Builder to be improved? Yes. Do I want it to return? No, hence the 0%.
Stage Builder was rather bland in my eyes and I haven't spent too much time on it. I like to spend my time in regular, pre-made stages with awesome gimmicks and hazards like lava.
In all honesty, I find this mode to be useless and I rather have it get cut to save development time and resources. Nowadays, I just use this mode to play Project M on my hackless Wii.

Midna Prediction: .55%
Bias might save her. Midna is a rather popular Zelda character, but I don't think her want will even go towards Groose levels.
Cookie Country Prediction: 24.81%
I bet that it will do a bit better than Nutty Noon.

Nominations: Zael 5x (almost there… hopefully someone can help me so that we can at least rate him before freaking Sora…)

Last edited by a moderator:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Professor Elvin Gadd: 0.5% I see him more likely than King Boo
Want: 75% Heck yes!

Improved Stage Builder: 80%

Midna: 2.4%
Cookie Country: 36.79%

x5... Um... I am almost tempted to do Gregor from awakening just so that we could rate a third character that says "_____ (Waluigi/Reyn/Gregor) time!" but I don't care for his character much and I am tierd of the obscure Fire Emblem characters. I could nominate Mallo, but I don't really want to. I guess I will go with:
x5 Balloon Fighter

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wow, I won the nominations again? Awesome!

Professor Elvin Gadd:
Likelihood: 0%
A bit harsh rating, but with WAAA ending up as an AT again, it's pretty reasonable to say that Rosalina launched all Mario contenders out of the battlefield.

Want: 60%
I surely wouldn't mind him. We really don't have a crazy scientist character in Smash! :p

Improved Stage Builder: 85%
I personally think it's very likely that they will make use of the touchscreen for the stage builder. Placing pieces of the stage would be a snap that way. Given that Brawl's servers will be shut down by May 20th, they will definitely focus a lot on online which includes the stage builder too.

Want: 70%
Eh. I honestly don't care about the stage builder...

Midna: 2.2%
Cookie Country: 56%

Bowser's Castle Stage x 10

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Professor E. Gad
Chance: 1% - There are so many better characters in the Mario universe.
Want: 0% - He's kind of creepy.

Improved Stage Builder
Chance: 70% - It shouldn't take too much development time to improve, they already have the blueprints from the original. They just need to try to copy what they had, and make improvements where necessary.
Want: 100% - Stage builder was actually one of my favourite modes in Brawl, I would spend hours on it. It may sound weird, but this is actually up there with some of my most wanted newcomers for things that I'm hoping to see in SSB4.

Some innovations that I would personally like to see include:
1. More backgrounds - We only got three in Brawl. They were nice but I'd like to see more diverse options.
2. Removal of extended borders - A part that is 4x3 squares in size should not have a 5x5 border. This was a problem with most of the background specific parts, like the mushrooms for example.
3. More diverse stage hazards. Magma pits? Invisible traps? Roaming monsters?
4. Being able to set a specific course for moving platforms.
5. Being given the option to put water at the bottom of the stage to swim in, like the Pirate ship stage.
6. Being able to change the colour of the parts used, this would help a lot when making a themed stage.

Midna prediction 4%

Cookie country prediction: 17%

Nominations: Isa x5, Alph x5

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-E. Gadd:
Chances: 0%

-Improved Stage Builder:
Chances: 85%
Want:95%

-Midna Prediction: 3,8%

-Cookie Country Prediction: 25%

-Nomination: Toon Zelda/Tetra X5

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
E. Gadd:

Chance: 2%
Possible, I suppose, but I seriously doubt that the Mario series will receive any newcomer besides Rosalina. And if we are getting one, I fully expect (Blue) Toad or Bowser Jr. to be the frontrunner.

Want: 15%
Could be very interesting. But I would much much much much much rather see Toad.

Improved Stage Builder:

Chance: 74%
His declining to comment gave this concept a serious boost. If he had no plans, he would have likely said so rather than saying nothing at all. But characters and balancing are probably higher on the priority list than the Stage Builder, so it may come back fairly unchanged or not come back at all due to time constraints.

I would be absolutely thrilled. It would be amazing for the competitive scene, since you could create hazard-free stages that have layouts that benefit certain characters that wouldn't have had good stages to fight on otherwise. It would result in a far more balanced tier list, and that would make my watching of competitive battles ten times more interesting.

Predictions:
Midna: 2.3%
Cookie Country: 7%?

Nominations: x5 Non-Character Hanafuda Representation

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Some innovations that I would personally like to see include:
1. More backgrounds - We only got three in Brawl. They were nice but I'd like to see more diverse options.
2. Removal of extended borders - A part that is 4x3 squares in size should not have a 5x5 border. This was a problem with most of the background specific parts, like the mushrooms for example.
3. More diverse stage hazards. Magma pits? Invisible traps? Roaming monsters?
4. Being able to set a specific course for moving platforms.
5. Being given the option to put water at the bottom of the stage to swim in, like the Pirate ship stage.
6. Being able to change the colour of the parts used, this would help a lot when making a themed stage.
You forgot the most important one. Being able to rotate (some of) the parts. I want spikes on the sides of my box :p

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
E. Gadd
Chance - 1%
Saved from a zero from the fact he keeps coming back and has remained somewhat relevant. But that's about all he has going.

Want - 0%
*Warning: what follows is irrational hate. Being irrational, it means that there's no point on arguing on it, it just is what it is, and sorry if it offends you. Thank you for your understanding*
This B**** keeps sitting in the comfort of his lab while Luigi had to go experience ghosts and monsters trying their best to kill him. His idea of solving a problem is literally abducting Luigi to do it for him. I used to be ok with him, but since Dark Moon he angers me, more than even Louie. At least Louie I want in the game to beat up on.
No thanks. All he's good at is creating technology so that other, better people go and do his job. He should keep on doing that.

Improved Stage Builder
Chance - 60%
This is fairly likely, more than anything because of the 3DS version. A feature like stage builder SCREAMS for streetpass and spotpass. It's definitely THE way to make sure the 3DS version lasts forever (or at least until they discontinue the 3DS wi-fi ... ) and the interface of the 3DS begs for it as well.I really really would be surprised if they don't take advantage of the technology to do it.
Also, while it seems that Sakurai cares most about balancing, I wouldn't be surprised if he, again, tried his best to sneak in as many features as humanly possible. Because that's Sakurai.

Want - 100%
One word: themes. Give us themes on the stages and I'll be so happy.
Beat single player with Mario? Have the retro Mario Bros. building set! with bricks and flagpoles and pipes, and featuring chain chomps/thwomps!
Beat single player with Pit? Have the retro Kid Icarus building set! With clouds and pillars and hot springs, and featuring Eggplant wizards/Mimicuties!

And here's the magical part ... if they really want to make it so that it doesn't take up too much data or isn't too hard to implement ... make the customizable stages RETRO. Bam, suddenly everything is pixelated and not only does it take up less data, it's freaking beautiful. Like seriously, you guys take care of the HD stages and 3D stages, and leave the 75m and Mario Bros stages to us!

Dang it, just read through this day ... there's soooo many ways a stage builder could be improved. It's such a simple way to make this game something beyond Brawl. PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN!

Predictions
Midna - 1.24%
One of the least likely Zelda reps
Cookie Country - 16.7%
A little bit more than nutty noon because I have no clue

Nominations
x5 Balloon Fight stage ... I'll get back to Magolor tomorrow but thanks to the comments above, I can't wait to get this one on the nominations page in case anyone else wants to consider voting for it.

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
I just keep missing daaays.

E. Gadd: Old Person Extraordinaire
Chance: 1%
E. Gadd is kind of an insignificant character outside of the Luigi's Mansion games, but he does have some interesting moveset potential.
Want: 70%
E. Gadd is one of my personal favorite Mario characters. He has a lot of humorous moments, especially in Dark Moon, he has a lot of cool inventions he can use, and he's overall one badass grandpa. If he doesn't make it into this game, then he at least deserves to be playable in Mario Kart 8.

Improved Stage Builder
Chance: 50%
I can see this coming back, but whether or not it gets improved is a bit of a toss-up. So far, everything looks like it's improving everything Brawl started, and maybe stage builder is one of those things.
Or maybe they will get rid of it all together. I guess that's also an option.
Want: 90%
Oh yeah, I would like this.
Even then I was perfectly okay with making a stage named "mcdonalds" with a box with falling block that led to spikes.
lodsafun

Predictions
Midna: 4.91%
Cookie Country: 19.35%

Nom: Shadow X5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Professor E Gadd...

I don't think he's unlikely as some are giving him. Luigi can't be just a Luigi's Mansion rep, and it doesn't look like he's been redesigned to use the Poltergust (but we could still be surprised... Luigi Tornado could get the same treatment as Mario Tornado), and if they wanted to rep that series, E Gadd would be the natural choice. E Gadd is more unique and doesn't have the same feeling of being a standard Mario rep. Still, not a likely character. A much better choice for an AT than a playable, imo.

E Gadd chances: 4.6%

E Gadd want: 45%
Don't really care.

Improved Stage Builder

Didn't Sakurai say something about this? Seemed kinda ambiguous. And if it does return, it won't necessarily be significantly improved. I hope it does and is. It shouldn't be that hard to make one that's better than Brawl's. But it's a lower priority and Sakurai might not care about it that much. But if it returns it probably will be at least somewhat better.

Improved Stage Builder chance: 65%

Improved Stage builder want: 100%
I enjoyed the feature in Brawl, and it would be way better with even just a few minor changes. Even just adding extra skins and colors to the blocks and things would be a great change.

Predictions:

Midna 4%
Cookie Country 20%

Nominations:
using my Takamaru winnings
10x Paper Mario

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
E. Gadd's chances: 0% - I'm pretty certain that Mario is done with characters, and if it did get another I don't see how he'd get in over someone like Bowser Jr. or even Toad.
Want: 10% - I'd take him over King Boo any day. Other than that, not interested.

Improved Stage Builder: 60% - Yeah, I can see it.
Want: 100% - I enjoyed the stage builder, and any improvements would be welcomed.

Midna: 3.79% - It'll be fairly low.
Cookie Country: 27.19% - Multiple people said that they found this more likely than Nutty Noon during its day, so it should do better than it did.

Mii x10

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
E Gadd! No, he's not likely.
Pros
+Still Relevant
+Minor character in Luigi's Mansion duology
Cons
-He'd still be considered a Mario represenative along with Luigi.
-This guy could easily have such uniqueness be given to Luigi with the poltergust. Easy solution for Sakurai
-Insignificant outside of Luigi's Mansion.
-What @ FalKoopa FalKoopa said, I could quote it, but I'm just going to tell you to look at his rating. It's not very long but to the point.
Overall.. only really having a longshot because he manages to still exist in relevancy. Though he's kind of just... there.
OVERALL RATING: 1%
Want: 00.00%- Bah, no.

Stage Builder 2.0! Now with less suck!
Chances: 70%- Going to once again direct you to another poster here, @ Glaciacott Glaciacott had a post explaining my reasoning on this rating:
This is fairly likely, more than anything because of the 3DS version. A feature like stage builder SCREAMS for streetpass and spotpass. It's definitely THE way to make sure the 3DS version lasts forever (or at least until they discontinue the 3DS wi-fi ... ) and the interface of the 3DS begs for it as well.I really really would be surprised if they don't take advantage of the technology to do it.
Also, while it seems that Sakurai cares most about balancing, I wouldn't be surprised if he, again, tried his best to sneak in as many features as humanly possible. Because that's Sakurai.
In addition, I'm pretty sure Sakurai knows this thing sucked. And being him, he'd want to improve it.
Want: 100%- Because it sucked and it needs improvement. I WANT HORIZONTAL FLIPPING!

PREDICTIONS:
Midna-I can't think of a pun-3.7%
Sweets Boulevard- 34%

NOMINATIONS:
Nominations: Zael 5x (almost there… hopefully someone can help me so that we can at least rate him before freaking Sora…)
Your prayers are getting answered. Zael X5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
E.Gadd
Chance: 2%
E. Gadd is primarily a Luigi character, although he has been referenced in other games such as Mario and Luigi series and Super Mario Sunshine.
On the downside, his best shot were if Luigi repped the Luigi's Mansion games instead of the Mario Bros. series. We have yet to see Luigi use the Poltergust however, and thus that would be perfect for keeping E.Gadd nice and unique...if Mario hadn't taking FLUDD he'd also be a prime candidate to use that since he is the man who invented it.
Compiling problems against E. Gadd is that he has yet to appear in even Mario Kart(of which he would be a much welcomed newcomer)...it may seem a little backwards but I find it hard to support a Mario character who hasn't even appeared in a game that BABY DAISY, WIGGLER and LAKITU have managed to make it into.

Want: 19%

I like Gadd just fine, but he should wait his turn. Both Jr. and Toad are more important overall to the Mario series, with Jr. offering plenty of unique in of himself and Toad being...well, I've gone into this before. With Waluigi out it also appears that spinoff characters may not get a look in over the main series, and E. Gadd's main role in a main Mario Game was having made FLUDD(remember Luigi's Mansion is a spinoff).

That said E. Gadd is at least a tangible individual who doesn't constantly float so I see him as more feasible for Smash Bros(a game primarily about hitting opponents and forcing them to fall to their deaths) than King Boo for a Luigi's Mansion rep.

Improved Stage Builder
Chance: 70%
Unless I'm mistaken the stage builder was actually received relatively positively and was a great way to add customization without messing about making Mii movesets. Providing Create a Stage is still in, I can see this happening easily.
Maybe with actual Nintendo themes this time? Please?

I would be very down with making some decent customized stages. The only thing I didn't like about Brawls one was it was awfully limited.

Predictions:
Midna 5%
Well, we're still using the Twilight Princess designs...and each game includes the generation before it...Twilight Princess had the honour(I guess) of being on both the Gamecube AND the Wii, so it technically counts.

Cookie Country 30%

Yeah, I can see this happening. A bit. But there's a lot of competition for the particular level.

Nominations:
Meowth X 5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
E.Gadd:

Chance: 0.5%
Most likely Luigi's Mansion character that's not Luigi... but honestly that's not gonna cut it! That said, I can actually see him having a good chance of AT status.

Want: 20%
I like Luigi's Mansion (though I do prefer another Nintendo IP which focuses on ghost filled mansions), and E.Gadd's cool... but his inclusion almost certainly gets rid of the chance of Luigi getting a Poltergust move...

Improved Stage Builder:

Chance: 85%
After Brawl it'll be expected to have a stage builder of some sort, and just having Gamepad Support is an improvement, but honestly I expect we'll get more features too, or at least more elements to drop into the stage. That said I don't expect a good stage builder, just one marginally more useful than Brawl's, and one much quicker to use dues to game pad support.

Want: 10%
I don't see the point of the stage builder, I prefer playing on actual stages (or some of the better hacks but ya), and will never use it. I won't dislike it, but I honestly don't care in the slightest.

Midna: 2.6%
Enough of a fan favorite for everyone to over inflate her chances.

Cookie Country: 37%
One of the most likely RtD stage options, but Lor Starcutter is generally seen as the favorite.

Fatal Frame*5

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Gadd: 1%
ISB: 65%
Want: 50
Midna: 3.12%
CC: 23.45%
Sorry Kid Icarus Dog, but the rise of the Helix is coming....

OMASTAR x 5

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
E. GADD

Chance: 1% - It could happen.

Want: 0% - Nahhh.

IMPROVED STAGE BUILDER

Chance: 75% - It seems like something Sakurai would want to improve upon.

Want: 95% - YES!!!!

Midna Prediction: 2% - Semi-popular request back in the day.

Cookie Country Prediction: 10% - ???

Nominations:
Other M Ridley x5

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
E. Gadd chances: 1%. He's a minor character from a series that doesn't need any extra reps in the first place, and his most notable role is as a supporting character from a game that would already be better represented by a character already in the game.

Want: 0%. Come on. I love E. Gadd, and I love the Luigi's Mansion games, but to see him in would be pretty terrible honestly.

Improved stage builder chances: 100%. We already know there will be a lot of emphasis on customization for this game, there's no way they'd overlook the stage builder in all of this.

Want: 50%. I don't particularly care for the stage builder in the first place, but it would be nice to see what others would come up with if they had more freedom to make what they want.

Midna prediction: 2%. She had her chance in Brawl and she missed it. At least Skull Kid came from a notable fan-favourite Zelda game.

Cookie Country prediction: 10%. I have no idea what to expect, honestly.

Gangplank Galleon X5

Last edited:

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
E. Gadd
Chance: 1.5%
Want: 10%

Improved Stage Builder
Chance: 90%

If it comes back, I don't see why it wouldn't be improved. It was pretty mediocre before and there's plenty that could be done to fix it. They could:
  • Add more themes/backgrounds/textures.
  • More customization with the implemented pieces (Length, thickness, through ground, etc.)
  • Unlockable pieces
  • Choose path for moving platforms
  • Music selection (Take music from any level and implement it in)
Also, I believe that this could be easily implemented into Miiverse/Streetpass, and would be a good idea for sharing options. This is just off the top of my head.

I would absolutely love to see this implemented.

Midna: 3.33%
Cookie Country: 12%

Nominations:
Paper Mario x5

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
E. Gadd chance: 22.5%
I don't see why he is so unlikely. The Luigi;s Mansion series is still relevant, and E.Gadd is a pretty recurring character (having just as many appearences as Rosalian before her Smash appearance, not counting MK8). He was in Mansion 1 & 2, Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Mario Party Advance, and was mentioned in Sunshine.
Considering we haven't seen the Poltergust in Luigi's moveset yet, I'd say that E. Gadd isn't as unlikely as you think

E. Gadd want: 80%
He is one of my most wanted. He deserves to get in, and could bring a whole new play style with the Poltergust!

Improved Stage Builder Chance: 90%
Along with Wi-Fi, this is the big feature that needs to be revamped. Everyone wants it, and no one is against it. There is no reason for it not to happen.

Improved Stage Builder Want: 100%
Who doesn't want this!?!? Everyone wants this! MAKE IT HAPPEN SAKURAI!!!

Midna Prediction: >1%
There is just as much justification for her for SSB4, as there was for Skull Kid for Brawl. The only thing they have is being a good character, and being decently popular. Ghirahim would definitely get in over her if we got a one-shot Zelda villain.

Cookie Country Prediction: 25%
Seems pretty likely as a stage. I don't know why, but everyone seems to be predicting it.

Nomination: X5 Sandbag

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
ill jst do a quick one for now, ill edit it later
okay editing added
E gadd - 0.25%
Rosalina shot down all Mario newcomers, and a somewhat fan favorite Waluigi partly confirmed that, not even being a luigi mansion character won't give him any hope
want - 0%
horrible inclusion
improved stage builder - 95%
stage builder will be improved upon, mainly because this time around customization will become a bigger emphasis, the only chance it will not be improved upon, is if its not even added, hence why I subtracted 5%
want - 100%
who doesn't want this? I would've liked brawls but it was very limited, if they add more themes, more modes, more blocks, heck even if all they did was add if you can put more than one song, then it would be great for me
minda - 2.47%
not much hope, missed her chance and her only saving grace is Zelda wii u . . . which is too late to even affect anything on this game
cookie country - 10.58%
viewed more likely than nutty noon, but still viewed unlikely because of green greens
nominations:
shulkX5

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
E. Gadd chance: 22.5%
I don't see why he is so unlikely. The Luigi;s Mansion series is still relevant, and E.Gadd is a pretty recurring character (having just as many appearences as Rosalian before her Smash appearance, not counting MK8). He was in Mansion 1 & 2, Superstar Saga, Partners in Time, Mario Party Advance, and was mentioned in Sunshine.
Considering we haven't seen the Poltergust in Luigi's moveset yet, I'd say that E. Gadd isn't as unlikely as you think
Maybe because Mario will not have another character and if that would happen, Bowser Jr., Blue Toad and even King Boo are more likely.
Be realistic, he doesn't have more than 2% chances.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
E. Gadd:

5% Chance: Not the most unlikely candidate but distinctly lower than other Mario reps. What E. Gadd has going for him is his recurring appearances in the Luigi's Mansion games and the success of the sequel, that came out recently. However, that recency can be a downfall, Sakurai rarely judges characters based on games that just came out, usually rescinding to the last generation rather than the current. E. Gadd was not present on the DS or Wii as far as I know, certainly not in a leading role like he is in Luigi's Mansion 2.

So, where does that put E. Gadd for chance? He's not impossible and if not for hot competition from King Boo on top of many others, he'd not be such a weak candidate. It doesn't help that he'd require some intense meddling to create a workable moveset.

55% Want: E. Gadd is an incredibly likable wacky scientist character that would not be at all out of place in Smash Bros. He has that archetypal eccentric personality and he is the best outlet to use the Poultergeist if not Luigi. Between those two things, E. Gadd gets some huge points from me.

Where he falls is that I want King Boo a whole tonne more for various reasons, and I don't see E. Gadd and King Boo ever being put in simultaneously, unless circumstances change so that Luigi's Mansion is one of the big Nintendo franchises. Unlike King Boo, I can see E. Gadd being a better fit as an assist trophy or a part of a stage or whatever else. He's a hilarious character, but that hilarity sadly doesn't extend much to a good moveset.

It'd be a pleasant surprise if he was confirmed, but it'd be an odd choice, not sure I'd be able to reconcile with it.

Improved Stage Builder:

50% Chance and Want: I don't really care all that much. I never used stage builder, I played the Subspace Emissary more than I used the custom stages, they were just awful. I stand by to be impressed by what additions can be made to make the mode appealing, but I'm not holding my breath on it either exciting me or being a focus of Sakurai's time. I think it may be just as likely we get the same mode with a few bells and whistles to placate those who complained about in Brawl, or a remote possibility it is removed for that very same reason.

Midna Prediction: 4.5%
I'm in the crowd that believes the Link and Zelda models look like Twilight Princess, and so Midna has a good shot, but that is a small crowd.
Cookie Country: 25%
The self-described master of Kirby said this was the second most likely level, I'm sure everyone else read that post too.

Arino (Retro Game Master) x5

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Maybe because Mario will not have another character and if that would happen, Bowser Jr., Blue Toad and even King Boo are more likely.
Be realistic, he doesn't have more than 2% chances.
Unless he counts as a Luigi's Mansion rep, which he along with King Boo should be.
Seriously, if Yoshi counts as its own series, Luigi's Mansion should too.
The Yoshi series had 2 games when Smash 64 came out (Island and Story) and Luigi's Mansion has two now.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
E. Gadd

Chance - 0.02% - Maybe if someone thinks his machinery would be interesting, he could get in. He's too minor of a character to be considered, though.

Want - 30% - Eh. Adding him feels like jumping the gun. Probably better off as an Assist Trophy.

Improved Stage Builder

Chance - 50% - It's 50-50 we get Stage Builder back, but if we do get it back, 100% chance of improvement.

Want - 50% - Eh... don't care.

Predictions

Midna - 0.95% - Basically, a few left-over fans, but she's floating dead in the water.

Cookie Country - 15% - People seem a bit more confident in this stage than Nutty Noon.

Nominations
Magolor X5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Unless he counts as a Luigi's Mansion rep, which he along with King Boo should be.
The Yoshi series had 2 games when Smash 64 came out (Island and Story) and Luigi's Mansion has two now.
Personally I think Luigi is FAR to iconic to the Mario Bros franchise to be segregated into his own series for SSB4. It's called Mario "bros" because it's about the brothers after all. The difference between Yoshi and Luigi in my opinion is that Yoshi is almost equally iconic in his own franchise as he is in Mario Bros. Also Luigi still uses fireballs, and the Poltergust is nowhere to be seen. If Luigi was representing his mansion series, then wouldn't he be given a movepool to match?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
So... E. Gadd would be a Luigi's Mansion rep, but Luigi would be a Mario rep?
Luigi has the mushroom icon, that means that the Luigi's Mansion reps are deconfirmed.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So... E. Gadd would be a Luigi's Mansion rep, but Luigi would be a Mario rep?
Luigi has the mushroom icon, that means that the Luigi's Mansion reps are deconfirmed.
Luigi originated in the Mario games and is more prominent there.
E. Gadd originated in the Luigi's Mansion games, and is more prominent there.

Personally I think Luigi is FAR to iconic to the Mario Bros franchise to be segregated into his own series for SSB4. It's called Mario "bros" because it's about the brothers after all. The difference between Yoshi and Luigi in my opinion is that Yoshi is almost equally iconic in his own franchise as he is in Mario Bros. Also Luigi still uses fireballs, and the Poltergust is nowhere to be seen. If Luigi was representing his mansion series, then wouldn't he be given a movepool to match?
But E. Gadd is more iconic to the Luigi's Mansion series, even though Luigi is not.
So E. Gadd would be classified as the series he is most prominent in.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Luigi originated in the Mario games and is more prominent there.
E. Gadd originated in the Luigi's Mansion games, and is more prominent there.

But E. Gadd is more iconic to the Luigi's Mansion series, even though Luigi is not.
So E. Gadd would be classified as the series he is most prominent in.
Bidoof...that would be extremely weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom