• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
Not fair for me to rank Grovyle from a series I've never played.

King K. Rool:

95% Chance: At this point, all signs point to go. K. Rool first and foremost, is popular worldwide. Ridley is popular in the West, Takamaru is popular in the East, but K. Rool is popular in both places. This gives him the immediate appeal of an internationally-liked rep. Secondly, Donkey Kong has a rep coming, it only has two characters and DKCR came after Brawl to insane popularity. It outsold its fellow two-rep franchise Metroid about 3-1. Every Donkey Kong Country game tends to be this popular and the series is the most obviously under-appreciated, compared to say, Kirby, or Star Fox. Donkey Kong deserves at least one more rep to bring it into line with these far less popular and relevant series. There is a hundred-percent-chance it gets at least one new rep.

Who could possibly take that place? Well, the series already has two protagonists. Surely it needs a villain. Every series that gets a third rep follows this trend: Mario, Star Fox, Kirby, Pokemon (until they removed Mewtwo to great resentment). If Sakurai were to buck a trend like that, we'd need a good reason for it. Dixie Kong is not a good reason. You can argue she's a good rep for the series or that you like her as a character, but she is extremely similar to Diddy Kong, besides her hair and the fact she's a girl. She has very few discriminating features that make her unique. In a game where every newcomer so far has emphasized uniqueness, no one in the game bears a resemblance to King K. Rool. Let alone in his own series.

You see, where Donkey Kong is a brute and Diddy Kong is a weasel-y little prankster using improvised inventions, K. Rool is a kunning and kruel villain. His potential knows no bounds, he can do almost anything you can imagine. And all of it was in a side scrolling platformer where it can be directly translated into a Smash Bros game. Sakurai can if he wants just steal all of the moves K. Rool ever did in DKC1-3 and he has a unique, fun moveset. But he obviously won't do that, he'll just take all those moves and whittle them down to the point that he has a greatly defined set that establishes a new heavyweight archetype in Smash Bros. K. Rool is the only potential newcomer in that archetype who can up the ante after Bowser, then Dedede. Ridley is simply not comparable in this respect.

He completes the trouble king match-up. It gives a new character who is deafeningly shouting out that he is an antagonist. The body shape of a fat king with a cape and crocodile features is completely original. He represents Rare and all their games which had similar characters. There are just so many good reasons he should be added to coincide with Sakurai's vision for Smash Bros. He should be top of the list, alongside Mewtwo and Ridley. If he isn't added it's going to be total bull and I'll be so disappointed.

100% Want: One of the characters I most want and have ever wanted. I remember when Brawl came out and the K. Rool support thread was like a funeral, it was so depressing, but everyone knew his time would come in the next game, because it just had to, it's only fair. He's the best character as of yet unused in these games by Nintendo and he represents so many different things to so many different fans. He's the classic showboating, egotist that is lacking in Smash Bros. His moveset would so easily be fantastic and is smooth to transition into a fighting game, as all he does is fight. Compare that to even Donkey Kong and Diddy, who mostly platform, he is actually a better fighting game candidate than they are, and the same goes for his competition.

K. Rool is also just an awesome character. He's funny, original and full of surprises. He's the kind of villain who is never the same and never fell back on repeating the same idiotic pattern like Bowser or King Dedede, which made him the antagonist of the Country games on SNES. Yes, without K. Rool there wouldn't be any Country games. Donkey Kong was just a license, what made the games shine was the setting, the atmosphere and the enemies. K. Rool and the Kremlings is what gave colour to the world of Donkey Kong Country. Without K. Rool, Donkey Kong would still be fighting Mario.

I could gush over how cool the character is, but it's also his fans I greatly respect. They're fans who have stuck by the character despite being snubbed for a decade, because he represents something very precious in their childhood that they want to return to modern games. A character who is more than just a bunch of mechanics thrown together to make a seamless boss fight, a real personality who brings his own depth. K. Rool represents the time in gaming when everything was given a special focus to create the very best experience possible. Fans of K. Rool, fans of the original DKC trilogy and fans of that great, withered developer Rare will all be satisfied by his inclusion, and I'd love to look into the K. Rool support thread if he was revealed to see the culmination of years of hoping and praying for his inclusion. That joy is the essence of what we all love about Smash Bros. Lets see it happen, Sakurai!

Louie Prediction: 8.5%
Not a bulborb, but any Pikmin newcomer is fairly unlikely considering how they'd necessitate being a clone fairly heavily.
Takamaru Prediction: 45%
These tend to go up over down if there have been no new developments.

E. Gadd x5

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Grovyle: 25%
In a series as awfully fluid - abundant, rather - in cast, Grovyle feels like a bit of an oddball choice within its own generation. Even there, I feel like Blaziken and Gardevoir are more likely candidates, and that's assuming that Gen 3 even gets a rep. That being said, Blaziken and Gardevoir are two of the few Gen 3 Pokemon Grovyle would probably be competing with, so it isn't impossible, just not likely.

Want: 0%
Nothing against Grovyle. I would just prefer so many other Pokemon before it.

King K. Rool: 90%
K. Rool has very little going against him. Recency shouldn't be a big issue for someone as All-Star-worthy as him. For crying out loud, he's the main antagonist of one of Nintendo's biggest franchises. There is always the possibility of him not getting in, but it's a slim and blasphemous road, in my opinion.

Want: 100%
He's such a quirky character! I don't know how you couldn't love to hate this guy! He's everything you want in a villain, with so much to set him apart from the rest. I feel like that's all I need to say on the matter.

Chibi Robo x5

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Grovyle from PMD 2

Likeliness : 0,1 %
Yeah, not before Brawl veterans and Mewtwo.

Want : 15 %
-I like the guy and I do want to see a Mysery dungeon stage, but a character, no thank you, I rather have other pokemon first, such as Meowth for exemple.
-Also you can't make me cry like a little girl several times in the same game and expect my support =p

The King of Pirates
Gol D Roger
King K Rool

Likeliness : 80 %
I would have give him more if he didn't have some competition from Dixie and Cranky, still K Rool seems like the way to go for a new DK character since he is really important to the DK franchise and is very requested worldwide.

Want : 50 %
-Personally tough I care very little for the guy, I do think that he is a deserving character and is long overdue, but I personally lack the connection that his fans have with him since the only DK game I played was Donkey Kong Country 2 and even then, not to the point where you fight Captain K Rool.
-As a result the only real reason that I would like him to be playable is to see his fanbase happy ^^

Good luck K Rool, I look forward to fight you with Ridley in Smash 4 =)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Grovyle:
Chance: 3%
  • Too much competition, by himself he has almost no hope. His role in Mystery Dungeon 2 might boost his chance, but not by much.
Want: 25%
  • Favorite of the Treecko family and honestly from the gen.

King K. Rool:
Chance: 50%
  • It's either him or Dixie IMO
Want: 99%
  • Third most wanted Newcomer
Predictions:
Louie: 10.5%
  • Doubt Pikmin will get a second rep, but if so, I doubt it would be Louie.
Takamaru Prediction: 57%
  • Honestly the more I see this character, the less I want him. But he seems to be the highest requested retro rep.
Nominations:
Gangplank Galleon X5

Last edited:

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Must...not...make...obvious reference....
Goku
Chance: 0%
Really obscure Japan exclusive Famicom character. He's doomed from the start.
Want: 50%
The ****storm that this would cause would be absolutely hilarious. But then when the butthurt wears off, I'll just look at his icon in the roster and think to myself, "We could have done better..."

Wolf
Chance: 98%
The only thing getting in the way of his inclusion is time restraints, and he was also low priority in Brawl. However, it seems like they're going for no cuts at all for this game, and Wolf was a pretty unique character (HE'S NOT A SEMI-CLONE AT ALL GOSH DARNIT).
He was a really fun character to play as, and I'd rather not have any cuts, thank you.

Predictions
Grovyle: 2.39%
King K. Rool: 77.15%

Nom: Shadow X5
Nice new avatar. Though you'd think Kabuto would be a better choice of Pokemon to represent, well, Kamen Rider Kabuto.

Grovyle: 1.3%
Since his most significant appearance was in a spinoff, his chances don't look so good. He's honestly more likely to appear as part of a Hoenn Trainer's team.

Want: 89%
Grovyle's the most chill evolution of the most chill starter of Gen 3, the most chill generation of Pokemon.

K.Rool: 38%
Raised slightly due to the deconfirmation of Diddy/Dixie tag-team.

Want:12.5%
I'm sad to say that I know next to nothing about this guy or how he would fight. He uses a trident like Beast Ganon does, right?

Louie prediction: 1.24%
Takamaru prediction: 61.41%

Nominate:
Isabelle x5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
WOAH!

Groose, nice pic choice in the OP for Grovyle.

.........and now it's saved.

so, Grovyle.

he's an interesting one. I know he's somewhere between 2 and 10%, but I can't decide where.

....ah, screw it. Grovyle gets a 9%

WANT: OMG YUS! he's ALWAYS been in my top 3 characters that I want in smash, ever since PMD explorers of darkness. explorers of sky made me want him SO much more with all the side missions. and even though now quote is my most wanted....
THERE'S NO WAY POSSIBLE I WANT HIM LESS THAN 100%

King K Rool: 75%
Want: the main villain of the first game I beat. even before mario world. of course I want him. in my top 5 characters for sure, and all those I want in get 100%

louie: 2.7%
Takamaru: 71.3%

Nominations:
Dark Matter x5

never realized we rated him before.

ummm.

D!ck Gumshoe x5

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I'm sad to say that I know next to nothing about this guy or how he would fight. He uses a trident like Beast Ganon does, right?
No...no, he doesn't.

King K. Rool is a master (more like fanatic) of disguise. In the DKC trilogy and DK64, he fought with tools and weaponry befitting of a king (a boomerang crown), pirate (blunderbuss that functions as a cannon, a vacuum, and a jetpack), a mad scientist (a helicopter pack and electrodes), and a boxer (boomerang boxing gloves and ground pound shockwaves). He's definitely more of a quirky Bond villain and far less of a brute due to his charisma and knack for bizarre weaponry. He is also a blatant cheater, fainting and luring the Kongs into a false state of security - a state of security that transcends the fourth wall, if the rolling credits tell us anything - only to hop back into action a few seconds later.

King K. Rool is such a bizarre jack-of-all-trades.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Missed a couple. It does feel that we've covered most of the important ground, so it feels like the only reason to do whatever is when we get new information (about characters, ATs, stages) or other significant events (e.g. the passing of a major release date).

Anyway...

Grovyle

Chance: 2%
More prominent Pokemon are getting in first.

Want: 48%
Don't care.

King K Rool

King K. Rool is a master (more like fanatic) of disguise. In the DKC trilogy and DK64, he fought with tools and weaponry befitting of a king (a boomerang crown), pirate (blunderbuss that functions as a cannon, a vacuum, and a jetpack), a mad scientist (a helicopter pack and electrodes), and a boxer (boomerang boxing gloves and ground pound shockwaves).
Well, I don't think I'd call him a master of disguise... He likes costumes, but he's not fooling anyone that he's not King K Rool. In DK64, at least, it can't possibly be called a disguise.

So, my thinking is that he's less likely now that we know that he's not in Tropical Freeze at all. But he's a little bit more likely relative to Dixie because they didn't take the opportunity of DKC:TF's release to reveal Dixie. I think that those mostly wash out, but I give a little more credit to Dixie than I did before as far as her potential as a character. If we were getting two DK newcomers, they probably would've wanted to reveal Diddy earlier and one of them for the release, so I now think we have much less chance of that happening now.

Then again, if they were saving either of them for E3 2014, that would change how they want to reveal them through the site. I assume the game isn't coming out until after E3, and E3 probably warrants the reveal of a couple newcomers. I think aside from Sakurai's comments about the internet revealing his information and character videos, Nintendo has also realized that the marketing benefit of revealing newcomers outweighs the marketing benefit of maintaining the "mystery" (although I think another option would be to hint at characters AND reveal the full roster size before launch so that people manage their expectations but still have room for surprise). But it's unlikely we'd see two DK characters at E3, so if one is not revealed before then, I'll think that basically impossible.

So basically, DK series chances have declined. But a newcomer is still pretty likely, considering that it only has two reps, but it's the 4th largest series in Smash in terms of sales.

So K Rool still has a chance - if they were going to reveal K Rool, they probably wouldn't have wanted it to coincide with a game he's not in.

K Rool Chance: 64%
A decline for no Tropical Freeze appearance. A decline for a slower rate of DK character reveals. Still pretty good chances though.

K Rool want: 90%
One of my top wanted.

Predictions:
Louie: 8.5%

Takamaru: 50%
I think the ratings will be lower, but still pretty high.

Nominations:
5x Paper Mario

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Well, I don't think I'd call him a master of disguise... He likes costumes, but he's not fooling anyone that he's not King K Rool. In DK64, at least, it can't possibly be called a disguise.
Believe me, I know he's far from a master of disguise. That's why I said he's more like a fanatic.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Get Ready for....
MASSIVE BRUTALITY....
Because
Grovyle has little chance against Mewtwo. Chances: 0.1%
Want: Mewtwo. 00.00%

Okay, now the real event...

Pun Crocodile
I feel like I'm going to get grilled for this one...

Pros
+Main Villain of the classic DKC series, and a very iconic character.
+Heavily requested to near-Mewtwo levels on terms of Newcomers.
+Part of a series that seems all too likely to get that third slot.
+Easily one of the more unique choices.
Cons
-The lack of K Rool in the DKCR series shows Nintendo has relegated him to spin-off material in recent years.
-Dixie Kong is now in the spotlight above K Rool thanks to no revival for the croc, so as a result he's seen a tad less.
-Cranky Kong even has seen more coverage from Nintendo.
-It seems that Nintendo is mostly pulling from the DKCR series instead of classic DKC for Super Smash Bros 4/5:
In the very first trailer one can spot some of the enemies and elements seen in Donkey Kong Country Returns for a brief moment around the 50 second mark.
While it may seem like some minor detail, it could mean that Nintendo will be using DKCR elements instead of DKC based ones. This is potential death row for K Rool as he does not appear in that series and his chances aren't getting better from this point forward.

Overall... the hints of DK content we have gotten so far are not in our croc's favor. He's fighting an uphill battle against primarily Dixie Kong. That being said, if Dixie is no where to be found, it's K Rool without a doubt.

OVERALL RATING: 45%

Want: 100%- I want him over a possible semi-clone any day.

PREDICTIONS:
Louie-Series that doesn't need another slot right now: 1.35%
Taka-Reboot?: 64.04%

NOMINATIONS:
Dark Matter X5- Another day to spread the Waddle Dee propaganda.

Last edited:

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Grovyle chances: 2%. A starring role in a spin-off game isn't much to boast, really. We're not even guaranteed for a gen 5 rep with gen 6 out right now, and Blaziken is a far more suitable rep for gen 3 in the first place.

Want: 0%. He's boring and I could not give less of a **** about him, honestly, having never played the Mystery Dungeon games.

K. Rool chances: 80%. K. Rool is pretty much in the same boat as Little Mac and Mega Man right now. He's an insanely popular character with lots of potential to make a unique and interesting fighter, but has been out of the spotlight in recent years and is showing no sign of coming back any time soon. He would also serve as a representative for a major Nintendo franchise that is currently working its way back into the spotlight. Pretty much the only complication is Dixie Kong, who due to having appeared in Tropical Freeze is more in the public eye than K. Rool. We don't know if Sakurai was aware of Tropical Freeze during the roster selection process, or if the game was even in development back then. We don't know how much importance Sakurai places on representing newer games, and how much precedence this takes over fan demand and moveset potential. We don't know if Sakurai would consider Donkey Kong important enough to warrant four reps (I personally think it does but I'm not exactly the guy making the game). Basically K. Rool's chances depend on how much input Nintendo have on the game and how all the different factors (fan demand, moveset potential, "relevancy," etc) weigh against each other, and in that regard I personally think K. Rool's chances are looking pretty good.

Want: 100%. My most wanted (realistic) newcomer.

Louie prediction: 10%.
Takamaru prediction: 57%. No idea what Smashboards' opinion of him actually is, so here's a number I pulled out of my ass

Gangplank Galleon Stage X5

Last edited:

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Nice new avatar. Though you'd think Kabuto would be a better choice of Pokemon to represent, well, Kamen Rider Kabuto.
Thanks for the compliment!

Groove-yle!
Chance: 0.5%
Grovyle may be the pushing force of the plot for the Pokemon MD series, but he's still pretty darn unlikely. Lets remember that MD gets little to no representation in the Smash series. Granted, that may change in this game, but I don't think they would go as far as adding a playable character, maybe just trophies or music, or maybe a stage? I would love a MD stage! But we're not rating a stage today, are we? Bottomline, Grovyle has a very little chance of getting in, especially if he has to compete with MEWTWO.
Want: 65%
The Treecko line is my second favorite starter line, and Grovyle is my favorite of the three design-wise. Also, I have played Explorers of Time and got a real kick out of that game. So yeah, I'm all for him.

King K. Rool
Chance: 90%
Biased rate? Maybe...
But besides that, before February's two big reveals, I'd consider K. Rool and Dixie as characters with an equal chance of getting (that chance being 85%). But after Mac and Diddy, I think Dixie's chances have gone down and the Great King's chances have increased. We are definitely getting a DK newcomer this game around, and with Dixie being nowhere in site, it may mean K. Rool is the newcomer of choice here. Being the third most requested character worldwide (behind Mewtwo and Megaman) also helps him out. As for relevancy, well it has been a while since we saw K. Rool in a proper DK game, but if he's so irrelevant now, then how come R.O.B, Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch made it in? Checkmate, atheists.
Want: 99%
Oh god, YES PLEASE! King K. Rool is my second most wanted newcomer, behind the nigh-impossible B&K (life is suffering ;_;). Donkey Kong is one of the franchises that I grew up with, specifically DK64 and DKC...for GBC, but it was mostly 64. That game was what made me love K. Rool's character so much. He was so good in that game, I swear. I would give him a 100% want score if it weren't for one thing...HIS PAON DESIGN!!!

Predictions
Louie: 3.91%
Takamaru: 59.42%

Nom: Shadow X5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Grovyle
chance 5% It seems better suited for a pokeball.
want 20%

K. Rool
chance 50% I don't believe he's the likeliest but I do believe he stands a chance, he is important and requested.
want 20%
:dkmelee:

x3 sheriff
x2 Isa Jo

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Grovyle: 2%
Want: 50% I love Grovyle as he was my first starter in Ruby but he's not that important nor is he more popular than many of the candidates and I would rather someone more deserving.

K.Rool: 68%
He's got the popularity and the fact that DK is underrepresented and can get 2 reps allows room for him even if Dixie gets in. He may not be most prominent right now but he definitely is important and unique. With both Diddy and DK in now, this suggest that they'll probably add at least 1 new member from the series. I do have to take off a couple points for cR
My most wanted newcomer of them all.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Grovyle

Chance - 0.03% - If we get a character from the Mystery Dungeon Games, I'd bet it would be him. Is there anything else positive to say?

Want - 40% - Rather he wouldn't take away a vet, but otherwise I don't care.

King K. Rool

Chance - 89% - You'd have think that if Dixie would have been shown by now, but she hasn't. You might counter that "DK wasn't ready!" but I'd say that DK should have been prepared for that first. Thus, with completion being less likely, I'd given him 2% more.

Want - 75% - Interested, but not truly exited, for him.

Predictions

Louie - 4.87% - Pikmin won't be getting a new character, but he's accepted as the frontrunner.

Takamaru - 60.01% - Maybe just a touch higher.

Nominations
Nutty Noon Stage X5

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Grovyle: 1.4%
Want: 0%
Krool: 56.78%
Louie: 1.23%
Taka: 54.53%
KI Dog x 5

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Grovyle Chance: 30%
I am probably overestimating him, but I think that Pokémon spin-offs should and may get a rep in Smash. If it were to be an actual Pokémon and not that Snap guy, I think Grovyle would be an obvious choice.

Grovyle Want: 75%
Shut up and take my Pokédollars!

K. Rool Chance: 90%
If Dixie were to be in, she would have been shown near Tropical Freeze's release date, like how Villager and RosaLuma were revealed close to their respective games.
But since Dixie wasn't shown then, we probably won't see her playable.
K. Rool still has a time to shine! He can be revealed in coordination for something K. Rool related, like the reveal of the next DK Country game which could feature K. Rool!

K. Rool Want: 100%
Shut up and take my Banana Coins!

Louie Prediction: <1%
As unlikely as a Pikmin newcomer is, it would most likely be a Pikmin 3 character over Louie.

Takamaru: 45%
It may be higher, since there are a lot of people who don't see how OVERRATED HE IS!!!!

Nomination: X5 Sandbag

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
GROVYLE (PMD)
Chance: 1% - Even if he does have a major role in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, he has to much competition from other Pokemon

Want: 0% - That picture on the front page looks pretty cool, but the only pokemon I want at the moment are returning vets and maybe Victini.

KING K.ROOL

Chance: 75% - Likely. Very Likely

Want: 75% - I'll say it again - Metal Blades + Cannon Balls = Epic fight!

Louie Prediction: 4% - If we get a second Pikmin character, most agree it will be him.

Takamaru Prediction: 65% - Considered one of the most likely retros.

Nominatons:
Athena Cykes x5

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
grovyle - 0.01%
mewtwo, and even then we already have an 2nd stage grass starter, ivysaur which no one seems to care about for some reason, am I the only who likes ivysaur :(
want - 5%
i'll like him because he gives the niche mystery dungeons series some repensation, but other than that and in Nintendo in a whole, he'll be a waste of a slot
king k. rool - 50%
like I've said before, its either him or Dixie or both, were getting a dk newcomer for sure,
want - 100%
I want a dk newcomer, and I don't really care for who, k. rool would be a fantastic addition, along with his competition Dixie
louie - 1.34%
. . .
Takamaru - 51.08%
he's going to take a hit, that's much is for sure
nominaitons:
i'll be holding the previous 5 and the new 5 I just got for another day,
shulkX5

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Omgomgomgsquee.

Grovyle (PMD2)

Chances: somewhere around 0.1-5%

Spinoff characters are unlikely, and there's not really a character who can represent the Mystery Dungeon series as a whole other than Pokemon like Pikachu, Meowth, or Eevee. (who can already represent the main Pokemon series)
But as far as PMD-exclusive characters go, Grovyle does seem to have more popularity than others.

Yeah, I'd love him in. It'd also be an excuse to have Dan Green in Smash. :awesome:

K.Rool

Chances: more than 50% or 60%, but maybe I'm just biased towards him.

Say what you will about the krocodile kaptain not being "relevant" anymore, but he's still the main antagonist of the DKC series in my book.
He certainly should get in over characters like Dixie or Cranky. (but I'd also like to have those characters alongside K.Rool)

Predictions:

Louie: 5%?
Takamaru: 20%?

-----

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Grovyle

Chance: 0.01%

Really don't think that's going to happen. The only way Grovyle is really going to get in is with the Hoenn Trainer, and Hoenn is pretty much out of the picture at the moment, so...

Want: 10%

Well, I really do like Grovyle, and he was a cool character in PMD. However, I don't want him over characters like Mewtwo or the already existing Pokemon Trainer, nor do I think he really deserves the spot, so there's not much room left for him.

King K. Rool

Chance: 75%

Well, at this point in time the evidence seems to be leaning towards King K. Rool. With the Nintendo Direct on Tropical Freeze's release date having come and gone with no Dixie Kong, I think that suggests that maybe Dixie is not in the game. And considering how likely (and deserving) the DK series for getting a new character, that opens the door up for King K. Rool. And it certainly doesn't hurt that he's pretty much THE most wanted newcomer across the world (not counting the return of Mewtwo).

Now, K. Rool is by no means a shoo in, and I do have to take off some points due to a couple of things. For one, he hasn't appeared in the most recent Donkey Kong games, which is by far his biggest issue. However, I would say that this in no way kills off his chances, simply going off evidence we have already. For one, while K. Rool was absent for the last three DK games, it's quite possible that Tropical Freeze's later development may not have impacted the roster selection at all, meaning that K. Rool would have technically only missed out on two games. However, one of those two games was just a port of the other one, so really, that makes one game K. Rool missed out on before the SSB4 was likely decided. Ganondorf was actually in the same situation when Melee came out, having been absent from Majora's Mask, yet he was added in anyway. Because of that, I think K. Rool is certainly not out of the question due to lack of recent appearances. There is also the issue of competition from Dixie, but she seems a little less likely at this point, especially if Tropical Freeze does in fact have no impact on the roster. So, points off for those factors, but I still think he's a likely character.

Want: 95%

I'm no Donkey Kong fan, but I do think that K. Rool would be a fun character and is plenty deserving of the spot on the roster. Seeing how so many people want him in, it'd be a shame to see him left out at this point.

Nominate: Dixie Kong x5

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Grovyle

Chance: 5%- Has a lot of competition, but is a bit more likely than other random Pokémon.

Want: 60%- I'd be mostly indifferent, but I have a soft spot for the Treecko line. <3

King K. Rool

Chance: 70%- Dixie is his only competition, and they could coexist, but Nintendo seems to be shunning him.

Want: 100%- One of my most wanted newcomers.

Predictions

Louie: 5.5%- Pikmin getting a new character is unlikely apparently, but he is the popular choice.

Takamaru: 55%- Popular retro choice, but I think his likelihood is a bit over exaggerated.

Nominations
Well, I could do another Pikmin character, but...
TOO BAD PETEY TIME

Petey Piranha x5

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Grovyle

Chance: 2%
The Mystery Dungeon series has not been represented in Smash Bros. well, and there are so many possible Pokémon characters and only four-eight are going to make it in. (I count the Trainer's Pokémon as three different characters.) There is still a chance as part of a Hoenn trainer, but that is also unlikely

Want: 3%
Much rather have dozens of other Pokémon over him.

Now for the main event

King K. Rool

Chance: 75%
I might be over estimating him a bit, but he has a good chance. His popularity is massive, almost to the levels of Mewtwo. And unlike Ridley and Little Mac, his popularity is worldwide. Last Nintendo Direct they could of revealed Dixie to hype Tropical Freeze, but they did not. Now of course Diddy was not revealed then, but couldn't they have announced Diddy Pre-Direct to hype it up even more? It seems a little strange to me that a company who needs a boost in sales for their console would not take the opportunity to hype Tropical Freeze. I think that perhaps they did not show Dixie because she is not a newcomer. Of course, we will not know, as they could always announce her in a April Direct. The only thing I can see getting in the Kremling King's way is relevancy. Nintendo seems to be excluding him and the Kremlings from the recent DK games. I think that if he is revealed it would be at E3 along with another reptilian villain.

I really want K. Rool. Great moveset potential and one of, if not my favorite video game villain.

Predictions:
Louie 5%
Takamaru 64%

Nominations: Gangplank Galleon x5

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Grovyle
Chance - 1%
Don't see it happening, even with Mystery Dungeon boosting his chances from nothing to something.

Want - 50%
Meh ... unless it's Blaziken, I don't see other Pokemon deserving a spot.

King K. Rool
Chance - 65%
I've gone back and forth on this one a lot, and the verdict is that he's likely, but not that much. Yes, there is A LOT going for him, but I'm waay too paranoid to consider him a lock as much as other characters, given he has competition for that spot (Dixie) as well as the fact that Nintendo seems to be trying to shy away from including or talking about the kremlings.
Again, this is one I constantly change my mind about, and right now I'd expect Dixie more than K. Rool.

Want - 100%
Since the beginning, there's been five characters that I considered both top chance and top want in terms of a spot in Smash. These were Mega Man, Palutena, Ridley, Little Mac and K. Rool. Mega Man and Little Mac are now both in the game, leaving three of these characters still hanging. Ridley and Palutena, meanwhile, have the interesting situation of being alluded to considerably by Sakurai with both a stage (Pyrosphere, Palutena's Temple) as well as mention shy from saying their names ("Samus's trauma", "Goddess of Light.")
That means that of those three, only K. Rool remains a complete mystery, but even with the fear and anticipation for news I can't help but really want him in Smash. He's one of three that need to be in the game for me to find the Smash series as having ideal representation. So yea, want is at the very top for this one.

Predictions
Louie - 6.7%
Takamaru - 64%

Nominations
x5 Magolor

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Grovyle
0% Chance
Mewtwo
0% Want
Mewtwo

K Rool
65% Chance
100% Want

What has not been said? I wish not to attempt to make a greater arguement than the ones above...

Louie 4.66%
Takamaru 58.33%

Nominating Concept No Cuts X5

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
Grovyle-
1% Chance
1% Want
50% Sea
50% Weed
King K. Rool
60% Chance
75% Want
King K. Rool is only sustained by his fans, unlike Geno however he remains relevant by appearing in multiple main titles as well as a recent crossover game. I thought with Tropical Freeze his chances were gone and out the window, the game even made me a supporter of Cranky instead. It seemed that Dixie was the obvious choice. However now with the passing of Freeze, his chances have gained a little more plausibility. Will Sakurai pick the villainous hypeable character he could reveal at E3, the boring female companion that most people expect, the wild card geezer, or nothing at all, tune in next time to find out.

Groose

Smash Champion
Yup, looks like I'll be getting the honor of deconfirming Waluigi tonight. I'll be ending the day tonight (12-14 hours from now); it'll be interesting seeing how K. Rool does.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Waluigi was disconfirmed with a 12.75% chance and a 44.13% want.

Sorry to the people that wanted him. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Goodbye playable Waluigi!

I think we should do a disappointment day for all the deconfirmed characters...

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Skimming through these posts, and all I have to say is if you're rating at 20%+ when the user who is a huge fan of the character is only rating at 9%, you're probably rating too high.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
mewtwo, and even then we already have an 2nd stage grass starter, ivysaur which no one seems to care about for some reason, am I the only who likes ivysaur :(
I'd totally main Ivysaur if he wasn't part of a trio character. I do so in Project M too, which was glorious until the nerf, now it's just okay. All three of the Bulbasaur line are my favorite Pokémons period, so yeah.

-It seems that Nintendo is mostly pulling from the DKCR series instead of classic DKC for Super Smash Bros 4/5:
In the very first trailer one can spot some of the enemies and elements seen in Donkey Kong Country Returns for a brief moment around the 50 second mark.
While it may seem like some minor detail, it could mean that Nintendo will be using DKCR elements instead of DKC based ones. This is potential death row for K Rool as he does not appear in that series and his chances aren't getting better from this point forward.

Overall... the hints of DK content we have gotten so far are not in our croc's favor. He's fighting an uphill battle against primarily Dixie Kong. That being said, if Dixie is no where to be found, it's K Rool without a doubt.
Actually, Diddy Kong uses his Jetpack from the original trilogy, and not the DKC:R design, which hints that the characters are likely based on the original trilogy. DKC:R will probably still get a stage though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom