• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Diskun likelihood: 2%
Want: 10%

Pac Man likelihood: 28%
Want: 40%

Goku: .65%
Wolf: 81.35%

Unlockable Newcomers x5

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Diskun:
Chances: 12%
Want: 50%

-Pac-Man:
Chances: 95% Yeah...I'm pretty sure he is the game.
Want: 35%

-Goku prediction: 0,7%

-Wolf prediction: 79%

-Nomination: Toon Zelda/Tetra X5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tetra got over 10%?! I was in total shock by yesterday's scores.
Diskun and Pac-Man have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Pac-Man, please check to see what you said on his day!

Diskun
Chance:
8%

Hmm… this one is tricky…
He is one of the most likely "historical" characters they could choose in my eyes. With historical characters, I find them all to be at a low chance and are highly unpredictable. Look at R.O.B.; everyone thought that he wouldn't appear in Brawl thanks to the SSE. Diskun seems like a character that Sakurai would have his eyes on… look at how hard obtaining his trophy was in Melee! I don't think historical characters would take over priority over characters like Shulk or King K. Rool, but they might have a special place.
Meh. He's unappealing.
The fact that he's 2D is unappealing in design as we already have a 2D flat character in Mr. Game & Watch. R.O.B.'s moveset is also incredibly uninspired and boring compared to most characters.
Put those two together and we might have a design that isn't unique with a bland moveset. No thanks. I'm cool with just Mr. Game & Watch; his moveset is freaking awesome and an amazing callback to the Game & Watch games.

Pac-Man
Chance:
90%

He hasn't had many appearances on Nintendo's consoles compared to Mega Man, he didn't have that distinct and famous rivalry like Sonic had, and he isn't that loyal to consoles like Bomberman is.
But why is this chance so high? Simply put, if we were to get a Namco character, it would be Pac-Man. He's iconic and has made some appearances with Mario in the Mario Kart Arcade games. While his design might not be the best, I think that could appeal to Sakurai as he could be creative with his moveset. While I read that someone from Namco is considering to request to Sakurai to put in a Tekken character, but I think that Sakurai will shoot down this idea as they are from a fighting game series. I believe that Sakurai hinted towards a Namco character getting in the game… and it would make sense if one did make it in. With Namco helping Sakurai develop Smash Bros., why wouldn't they ask for a request to put in a character.
A thing that might be against him is that Sakurai said that Namco won't be getting special treatment. Personally, I think that Sakurai is saying that Namco won't have a ton of content in Smash compared to the amount Sega and Capcom are getting. Like, we won't have 3 Namco characters while Sega and Capcom get only one. That's just my interpretation.
I can say and find a lot of arguments against Pac-Man. But… honestly… I just have this feeling that he is in Smash. I don't believe that leak… which I guess means that I don't believe in Miis at this point. Pac-Man just feels inevitable. I just feel like he is in Smash or some other Namco character is. There is a lot that can be said against him… but the fact that Namco is working on the game ultimately saves him. If it wasn't for Namco, I wouldn't have rated him this high.
Want: 5%
With this being said, I don't want any Namco character; none of them interest me… including Pac-Man. His design is just… boring. You can make fast attacks with Sonic, fun projectiles with Mega Man, and a crapton of explosives with Bomberman. All of that is interesting! But Pac-Man… ehh…
I won't give him an absolute zero since there is some appeal to seeing Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man fight. However… I want to see Bomberman in that mix, not Pac-Man.

Goku Prediction: 3.77%
I can see some 5s and 0s mixed in tomorrow.
Wolf Prediction: 87.00%
Can we PLEASE say screw the rules and rate DBZ Goku along with YuYuki Goku tomorrow? PLEASE? That would be interesting! WE MUST RATE MIIVERSE'S MOST WANTED CHARACTER!!!

Alas, Wolf might get some fortune by Lucario getting confirmed in Smash.

Nominations: Zael 5x

Roy and Eliwood tag-team x 5.

Yes, I'm starting to run out of ideas at this point.
Kid Icarus Dog?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
He was at the end of the day just a cut-and-paste mascot like the paperclip "office assistant" for Microsoft Office Word.
Ouch. So that's where you got your username.

Disco Kid: 0.1%
Unless I'm mistaken, the NES didn't even use discs, only the Famicom did.

Want: 1%
It could go either way... but probably not a good one.

Puck-Man: 27.5%
He's not really Nintendo-y enough, know what I mean?

Want: 0%

Goku prediction: 0.11%
Wolf prediction: 78.9%

Nominate:
Alph x5

D

Deleted member

Diskun:

Chances: 5% - Seems like one of the logical historical Nintendo characters to add but...I kinda think he is pretty obscure. I think if it wasn't for the Melee trophy, I don't think people would have any idea who Diskun is

Want: 10% - Meh, I don't get the appeal behind him. I would take ROB & Mr. Game & Watch over Diskun

Pac-Man

Chance: 50% - When it comes to Namco characters, Pac-Man pretty much stands out than the others. His chance is boosted given how he is iconic but on the other hand, Sakurai said Namco won't get special treatment & make him a #1 priority to add. It can go either way

Want: 5% - I honestly don't care for him & to be rather frank, wouldn't be upset if he didn't show up in SSB4.

Goku prediction: 1%

Wolf Prediction: 80% - I'm sure Lucario's reveal benefited Wolf.

Nominate: King K Rool x5

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Diskun - 2%
He's crazy obscure outside of Japan and generally lacks moveset potential. The only reason I'm even entertaining this much rating is because of R.O.B., so maybe Sakurai considers him as a viable option as a "historical" character, but really, he's a huge stretch and I'd be incredibly surprised to see him even be an assist trophy, never mind a playable character.
Want - 0% - No desire whatsoever to see him.

Pac-Man - 75%
I gave the no Namco character concept 25% yesterday, and I've been pretty consistent in the past about giving other Namco characters zeroes, so I've gotta give Pac-Man credit today and give him the difference as his rating. Heck, it's actually slightly lower than my previous rating of 85%, which at this high a range isn't really a big difference anyway. Why the certainty? Aside from the old E3 leak (which I'm still a believer in), he's one of the biggest gaming icons ever, has plenty of Nintendo history, has starred alongside Mario in the Mario Kart arcade games, is very notable right now with a TV show currently airing, and is a character from Namco, the company helping to make the game. He's not a certainty considering he is still third party and Sakurai has said Namco isn't getting special consideration, but considering all he has going for him, this high a rating feels justified.
Want - 50% - Wouldn't hype me up much, but still, he's awfully deserving and would fit in very well alongside Mario and Sonic.

Goku Prediction - 2.2%
Extremely obscure and seemingly impossible, but Smashboards loves their retros for whatever reason.

Wolf Prediction - 88%
If Ridley can get a small ratings boost, so can Wolf.

Nominations
Midna x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Diskun

Hes a mascot of a Japan only console, appeared in a couple games. The only reason it would be considered is because, apparently, were going to get a hardware character, in the same vein as G&W and ROB. Extreme longshot if you ask me. He seems like he would be extremely uninspired. We dont need a logo as a character.
Chance: 0.4%

Pacman

As far as new 3rd parties go, he has the best chance. I would say he is legendary enough to be at the very least considered. He has quite a legacy as a video game character, hes very recognizable, and is still relevant to this day, granted not as much as he used to be. The whole "Namco doesnt get special treatment" does apply, but that doesnt mean "there will be no Namco characters." Pacman has enough merits to get in on his own. Im rather indifferent to his inclusion.
Chance: 55%
Want: 50%

Goku: 0.26%
Wolf: 90.9%

Nominations:
King K Rool x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Diskun:
Likelihood: 0%
I honestly don't think he's a viable contender among retros, let alone others. His biggest significance in Smash till date is his Melee trophy which can be got for 100%ing the game. That's it.

No.

Pac-Man:
Likelihood: 59%
I gave 40% to the probability of no Namco characters yesterday. I took off 1% in the rare scenario of some other Namco character getting in.

I recall I gave him 15% last time. My interest in the character has only decreased since then as other Nintendo characters have moved higher on my want list.

Goku prediction: 1%
It would be the troll move of the decade if it happens. :laugh:

Wolf prediction: 85%

Bowser's Castle Stage x 5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Diskun:

Chance: 0.01%
Obscure is one thing, but he's just a picture... Even with his game inclusion all he did was walk... R.O.B had some stuff going for him in terms of move set, Diskun would have to have one made from scratch, and given how forgotten the peripheral is, and how unwanted he is, that's a bit pointless...

Nope.

Pac-Man: 55%
Hey look, it's yesterdays score inverted. Being in the development they don't have the troubles of Squeenix of not getting asked/not wanting to be involved in smash... but I just think Pac-Man would be a lower priority given how popular DQ and FF are in their respective regions.

Want: 99%
As long as he doesn't push Slime from the potential roster I'm cool with him. Pac-Man's a pretty cool guy, even if I'm most interested in the final smash.

Goku: 1.1%
I could forsee a lot of high want scores to troll miiverse though.

Wolf: 93%
We're pretty confident on cones now, but he'll not quite get lock.

Fatal Frame*5

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Diskun:
Chance: 2%

Pac-Man:
Chance: 75%
Want: 70%

Goku: 0.85%
Wolf: 83.5%

Gangplank Galleon X5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Diskun
Chance: 1%
Could be a historical rep, but so could nearly any retro pick or Wii Fit Trainer...

There are considerably better options for a retro character that people would likely recognise better...speaking of which...(although a third party...)

Pac-Man
Chance: 95%
Namco's mascot, most famous Video Game character on the fricking planet; non gamers know Pac-Man and they know how his game plays even if they've never played it, which puts him above Snake and Megaman already. Totally legendary, Pac-Man is so deeply ingrained in popular culture I'd be surprised if anyone didn't know who he was.
Factor in that Namco are helping with this Smash, and companies have gotten their characters in on less(HI SNAKE) and I'd say he's got a pretty damn good chance of appearing. Had Namco NOT been working on the game, I'd still say he's the most legendary video game figure...of all time. Aside from arguably Mario.

Want: 100%
Yeah, that's right. **** all you haters.

Pac-Man is the most deserving 3rd party pick of all time. More than Snake. More than Megaman. Yeah, that's right. Hell, even more than Sonic.

He SHAPED the god damn video game's industry and brought it from being a ridiculously obscure pastime to something the masses
actually paid attention to.
If not for Pac-Man's involvement, video games probably wouldn't have stuck around today. Arcade machines were never as plentiful before Pac-Man came to town, and thus video games may have very well not have taking off as big as they did. Pac-Mania was a big deal in the 80s, and popularized the idea of video game characters.

So what else did Pac-Man do for video games other than being the first commercially successful video game and video game mascot?
  1. He introduced us to complex AI; the ghosts all would have their own unique pathfinding options, at the time completely and utterly revolutionary.
  2. He introduced us to Cut scenes; between each round on the arcade machines Pac-Man and the ghosts would have a little animated sequence that involved them chasing one another.
  3. It even introduced the first aspects of HUMOUR. On one of these cut-scenes the ghosts would chase Pac-Man and get his ghostly body caught on a nail, tearing his cloak and you'd see a little leg. Again at the time, this was insanely charming.
  4. Musical scores that you will never ever forget. Everyone knows the noises of Pac-Man; the musical score, the wakka wakka noise(which by the way you can recreate by placing your finger in your ear and scratching).

Shigeru Miyamoto's favourite video game character? Pac-Man. Not Mario. He's stated this repeatedly. The dude who shaped Nintendo has mad respect for Pac-Man which makes me wonder why in the hell anyone could have anything against a 3rd party who has done far more for the video games industry than any other...

Some say Pac-Man is a washed up has been of yesteryear. Well guess what? They all are;

The most popular third party character, (and my childhood mascot of choice) Sonic hasn't had a great track record of the past decade. Sure you had Colours and Generations, but for every one of those there is a Lost World, Secret Rings, Werehog and Black Knight.
Megaman? He's so unloved by Capcom it's frankly laughable. Remember that time Zero got in over him in Marvel Vs. Capcom? Or the time bad western box art Megaman appeared in a fighting game alongside actual Pac-Man?
Or how about Snake? Old, shrivelled husk of what he once was, replaced with a bishie young buck in the latest game. Doesn't look like any of the 3rd parties on display have exactly had a great time of it.

Is he my favourite 3rd party character? Not at all. I grew up with Bomberman and Sonic, and Rayman's another I honestly think has had better games than the yellow discus.

Is he the most deserving 3rd party? Undoubtedly.

So I invite you all to place your fingers in your ears(which they probably are already if you haven't been listening to why Pac-Man deserves a placement) and wiggle them up and down with me as we await the insanely likely reveal of the pie chart man.

WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA.

Prediction time:
Goku: 2%
Too obscure probably.

Wolf: 84%
Lucario and Toon Link are back. It's anyone's game.

Nomination time:
Bowser's Castle Stage X 5. Hell yes, good choice Falkoopa. I'll have what you're having.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Diskun
30% Chance
I see he has a good shot as our historical rep, but Daitoryo does seem like a Sakurai move...
80%
I love historical characters...

Pac Man
70% Chance
What has not been said?
50% Want
Indifferent
Goku 1.33%
Wolf 85.55%

Nominating King K Rool x 5

Smady

Smash Master
Miiverse will have its revenge, Groose.

Diskun:

0% Chance and Want: Dis-kun is kawaii, sure, but he unlike ROB is only an image lacking potential. It's just a generic brand mascot.

Pac-Man:

50% Chance: It's a toss-up but Sakurai is obviously aware of the character and entertained an interviewer to make him a final smash. He's in the Arcade Mario Kart games regularly as well as other Mario spin-offs, tying him into Nintendo. If you believe in the leak at all, that helps. Pac-Man is arguably the most famous video game icon in history, there doesn't need to be another argument for why he'd fit into the game. Sakurai would be willing to make him work, just as much as a cartoon Smash Bros. rip-off would implement Mickey Mouse despite him not being the most exciting choice. On the other hand, he is a third-party and that always brings a level of pessimism because of how messy that can be logistically. His moveset would also be fairly generic I imagine, he's very similar to Sonic in how ostensibly he'd work in Smash Bros, I support using the ghosts to make it far more appealing, but I don't know if Sakurai would do that.

100% Want: There is no reason for me not to want the character if you accept he won't have the best moveset imaginable. He is undoubtedly the most iconic video game character yet to be included. He invented the idea of a video game character. Everyone knows Pac-Man. Sure he has fallen on hard times lately, but who hasn't? Sonic received similar cynicism the before he got into Brawl. @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad laid it out.

NES Goku Prediction: 1.5%
Who?
Wolf Prediction: 89.45%
After Toon Link and what with Wolf being the more original of the two added StarFox reps, this should be high.

King K. Rool x5

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Diskun
20% chance:Good retro rep, but someone like Takamaru is more expected.
60% want: Would be cool, but mostly indifferent. Wouldn't care either way.

Pac Man:
55% chance: We don't need another 3rd Party, but could happen.
50% want: Eh.

Wolf: 85.5%

Goku: 2.7%

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Diskun

Chance: 1%

I guess he's a decent historical character choice. However, I sort of wonder if we'll actually get one this time around, as "historical" can also translate to "surprise" in Smash, and Wii Fit Trainer did that already.

I probably wouldn't hate him, I just think he might be similar in premise to Mr. Game & Watch, and I feel like there are still more deserving characters out there.

Pac-Man

Chance: 50%

It's really hard to predict when it comes to third party characters. In the case of Pac-Man, it's less of an issue of "will it be this character" but more of "will we actually get another third party character." I think Pac-Man is an obvious choice for the role, I just don't know if there is a role to fill.

Want: 100%

Ok, I can totally understand why people don't like Pac-Man. He's sort of bland, isn't cool, doesn't seem to have a lot of moveset potential... I get all that. But to me, that doesn't change the fact that Pac-Man is a video gaming icon. Heck, more so than that, he's a video game legend. He's really one of the few video game characters that literally just about everyone knows. I would think that in a game meant for the all-stars of Nintendo, with some other video game legends thrown into the mix, Pac-Man would fit right in. I personally would love to see him in this game, and I think he has a lot of potential as a Smash fighter.

Nominating: King K. Rool x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Diskun's chances: 3% - I see him as one of the frontrunners for a new "historical" character. However I don't actually think we'll get one this time.
Want: 0% - No thank you.

Pac-Man's chances: 75% - I originally said that I was going to take off 5% for random other Namco characters but actually if they wanted a Namco rep why wouldn't they pick Pac-Man? His company is helping with the game , has appeared with Mario before, and is one of the most legendary video game characters ever. I think he's got a better chance than any other remaining third party in the game.
Want: 30% - Despite that I don't think he'd be a character who I'd really be excited about or would enjoy playing as. Only reasons it's this high because I do enjoy some of his games and I know he's a legend.

Yuyuki Goku prediction: 0.90% - Expecting several "Who?"s here.
Wolf prediction: 89.67% - He'll likely get an increase.

Takamaru x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Diskun

Chance - 5% - I'd say that if we get another "Historical" character, this is probably the most likely of them all. I'm not certain if we'll get another one, though. WFT could be seen as filling this role, and there's always the chance that we could get another retro in place instead.

Want - 30% - His move set would mostly be made of games on the famicom, which is not bad in and of itself, but I feel it is somewhat degrading to the original series that used whatever.

Pac-man

Chance - 23% - Obviously, mostly based on what I rated him yesterday. Heck, just read what I said yesterday. This is only a bit lower due to the possibilities of an oddball pick from Namco.

Want - 30% - Not an interesting enough fighter in my eyes.

Predictions

Goku - 1.35% - Well, this is a strange rate.

Wolf - 86.25% - A mild increase from before, maybe?

Nominations
Nutty Noon Stage X5

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Diskun-Seriously?
Pros
+Historical Character (Meaning little competition)
Cons
-Horrific design is bland and unattentive, wouldn't really get much outta Sakurai.
-Daitoryo has seen coverage worldwide instead of just Japan.
-We already have a historical character, it's called Wii Fit Trainer.
Overall... I don't think we're getting two new chaps in one game.
OVERALL RATING: 2%

Want: 00.00%- HOW ABOUT NO..jpg

Pikaman/WAKKA WAKKA/WHATEVER

Pros
+Pac-Man is the mascot of Namco effectively (other than Heiachi "I defy aging" Mishima.) But since fighting game characters are a guaranteed no-go, Pac-Man one ups him.
+Pac-Man is a heavily popular franchise spanning mega-levels of fame and popularity.
+SquareEnix would likely attempt to pull out Lightning and cause an ultimatum seeing as how the character needs to appear on a Nintendo console and Lightning has not.
Cons
-Read the below bullet and stop thinking Namco is getting special treatment.
-Namco isn't getting any special treatment over any other company for a character. Nintendo has stressed this before in many interviews.
-Megaman was a special case, Sakurai has driven that point home. Seriously, he was at the kingpin of requests for third party characters, slaughtering everything else. He got enough requests to where it was seriously noticed. It's the same with Mewtwo, though he hasn't shown up yet.
-Pac-Man's also not as requested as some other characters, he's only up there in Third Party rates.
-There's the 1% chance Namco throws out a different choice.
Overall... He has a shot, yes, but it's overhyped as all hell. Realistically?
OVERALL RATING: 49%

Want-10% Okay, and here's the thing. I love Pac-Man to death. It was the game I always play at arcades if they have it because the concept is just beautiful. It was a breakthrough in the industry. And for why are you giving him a 10.00%, BigAxle is you say you love the character? Well, here's the thing.
I absolutely hate the new designs and directions of Pac-Man. I hate them. I JUST HATE THEM! IT RUINS SOMETHING SO GREAT, SO SUBLIME! And if they were to add Pac-Man it would be that pathetic new design with teeth. I'm sorry, but I will not stand to like it at all.

Predictions
Not Son Goku- .8%- How many who ratings will we see? A lot.
Wolf- 85.34%- This will be controversial.

Nominations
K Rool X5

Keto

Smash Journeyman
Diskun Chance: 1% - 1 percent for obscurity.

Pac-Man Chance: 70% - I think he has a much better chance than most people would think. There is nothing stopping him from being in the game as far as rights are concerned, and he would fit in the smash universe quite well. I also believe the E3 leak is true based on the accuracy of the leak. The only think I would want is an overhaul of Pac-Man's image. I don't like his big blue eyes, just doesn't look right on his character.

Want: 70%

Goku prediction: .79%

Wolf prediction: 91%

Sandbag x5

TheMysterious2634

Smash Cadet
Diskun
Chance: 1% for existing
Want: 0% He will...hop?

Pac-man
Chance: 45% Less likely than most characters, and BigAxle's point on Namco getting no special treatment.
Want: 5% I would never want a character that got touched by CartoonNetwork. *shiver*

Predictions!
Goku: 5% I didn't know this even existed until yesterday, so that says quite a bit.
Wolf: 50% Seems likely enough. This would be higher if Falco were announced by now. Falco just seems to have more priority.

x5 Gaius

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Diskun Chance: 15% Has just about a decent chance as far as historical characters go.
Diskun Want: 35% I like the design, but once we rated him in the Uniqueness Tier List, I mostly indifferent of him copying abilities from other characters.

Pac-Man Chance: 95% He has a big shot going for him, thanks to many events that happened lately, being developed by Namco making it easier to add him and the Leaky 3 leak, I think that's enough for him to know that he's in the game. And just because he stated there would be no Namco treatment doesn't mean Pac-Man's chances are dead, it simply means that there won't be multiple Namco characters in the game.

Pac-Man Want: 100% You all know you want that big-match up against Sonic, Mario, and Megaman. That's why it's a full yes from me.

Goku Prediction: 1.1% Once again, people who don't delve into research will give him a low rating.

Nominations: x5 Alph Brittany Charlie.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Diskun
Chance:1% (maybe less if sakurai wasn't so spontaneous)
Want:50% don't know much about him, meh

Pacman:
Chance: 70% This will be the only namco character considered because he's the face of namco. I don't see why namco wouldn't get a character even with sakurai's "special situation" BS. Pacman IS a special situation. Only thing against him is if sakurai wants only a few third parties.

Want: 200% 100%
I love this guy! I grew up with his games and fell for his charm (his yellow, ball-with-appendages charm). I could go on and on about his iconic stature but I think that already speaks for itself. He deserves to be in smash.

Last edited:

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
Diskun-
2% Chance
5% Want
I love obscure retro characters, but this one really wouldn't work that well.
Pac Man-
60% Chance
60% Want
I love the Pac Man World games, I love the original, but with Mega Man, I believe that type of third party character is filled. At this point Pac Man is all too likely and not that hypeable, that I would think Sakurai would pick a different third party character with a better reaction, unless there are several third party newcomers, which I doubt. Overall Pac Man makes a lot of sense, and I would not be surprised if we got him, I just think Sakurai would go for a surprise.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Diskun- 7% chance. it's.... a chance, I guess.
Want: 65% something about him is just likeable. don't know really what it is however.

The PAC is BAC*shot* 30% a lot of people contribute his chances to the leak. I don't believe that leak so I am marking him on my own terms.

Pros: is a gaming icon.
namco is close to nintendo. specifically, namco is involved with smash bros.

Cons: current design is HORRID, which created a LOT of haters.
not so much a nintendo icon as he is a gaming one, even then, it's his 2D design.
Current 3D design is really not iconic at all, the only one that is iconic, is this:

Iconic 2D design has little potential in terms of moveset.

WANT: 0% you know who's 8 BILLION times better IMO for a namco character?

Goku: 0.9
Wolf: 83.4%

Noms:
Grovyle x5

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Jumping right over Diskun and going straight for the main attraction.

Pac-Man:

Chance: 80% - Gotta give the remaining 80% that was left over from yesterday's rating to today's rating. Pac-Man is probably the only other feasible 3rd party I can see making it in. I'm a believer of the E3 leak, and to my own spite I might add. I simply haven't seen anyone reasonably shoot it down yet. However, in the off-chance that the second half of it was made up (which is the only possibility I see of it being a fake) I still leave 25% off for that.

Want: 0% - With that said, Pac-Man is probably the character I least want in the game, at least of the realistic characters. I don't like Pac-Man anymore by default. I love his original arcade game, it's good fun, but I don't like that it has carried the character through a 30 year long career. Pac-Man isn't popular, noted or praised for anything that came out after the arcade game, whenever someone mentions Pac-Man it's always the original yellow circle, not the ball with lanky limbs and a nose Pinnochio couldn't even lie himself to. I simply don't like the idea of a character who still lives off of one successful game to this day, especially since he has kept on cranking out poop after poop for 30 years now. No thanks.

Goku Prediction: 1.3%

Wolf Prediction: 78.3%

Nominations:
5x King K. Rool

Last edited:

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
DISKUN

Chance: .1% - Not happening.

Want: 0% - Nope.

PACMAN

Chance: 15% - Yes, the whole "Namco doesn't get special treatment" deal. Some take that to mean that Namco won't get an over abundance of content but a character can still get in because of Namco's Involvement. Others believe that it means Namco's characters are in no different a situation than other third party companies and that their characters will be judged on their own merits like everyone else. I am of the latter camp - if being Namco's mascot wasn't enough to get Pacman in Brawl (or even Melee) why would it suddenly be enough to get him in Smash 4? Because of Namco's involvement? Wouldn't that be sepcial treatment? The 15% I gave is based on the possibility that Pacman has crossed Sakurai's mind and is deemed worthy - especially now that he has a new game that he didn't have during pre-Brawl.

Want: 20% - I was never a Pacman fan and last time I gave him a flat Zero. However, I have seen the passion of the Pacman fans and I have warmed up to the character just a bit.

Goku prediction: .5% - Eh.

Wolf prediction: 81% - He is a veteran that most expect back.

Nominations:
Athena Cykes x5

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
in a hurry today, ill just put my ratings up for now and add details later.
okay details added
diskun - 0.1%
a completely obscure character, that's only known because of the trophy for 100% completing the game of melee, if they are going to add something for historical value, it'll be something much more known and important, not. . . . whatever this thing is
want - 0%
i'm confused just to distinguish if this thing is a dog or a piece of bread, though all in the same, I don't want it in
pacman - 50%
pacman is legendary, Namco is working on the game, but because of that people overhype his chances by a ton, people also underhype his chances because of the "Namco gets no special treatment" quote, but the main point is, he's legendary, so he has a chance, but is far from shoe in status
want - 45%
ya i'm mostly neutral, but if I had to pick a side, i'll be anti pacman, still basically neutral
goku - 0.95%
lets just say, if this goku gets in, sakurai is the biggest and the best troll, of video game history, and will forever hold that spot till the end of time
wolf - 95%
not a clone, likely cuts comeing back, many feeling optimistic, its going to be a good day tomorrow,
especially the ace attorney rating i'm going to pull off
nominations: whelp that's done, now I think i'll do someone that I support till I get another idea on who to nominate
ShulkX5

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Diskun
I abstain due to sheer not-caring about this thing. I mean, seriously?

Pac Man
Chance - 70%
Ok, I got to address the main point of people who argue against Pac Man.
"Nintendo/Sakurai stressed enough that Namco isn't getting special treatment."
You know why they say this? They say this because otherwise the idea of a Smash co-developed by Sora and Bandai Namco would have led half of Japan to assume it's be half Smash Bros. and half Tales/Shounen character/Dragon Ball Z/Tekken or a host of other absurd scenarios. How do we know this? Because that's EXACTLY what happened anyway. I cannot count with my fingers how many idiotic "Goku" and "Agumon" suggestions arose from this.
Again, that comment made above is clearly meant to place in context that this is still Smash Brothers, and characters that previously had no chance AT ALL will STILL have no chance AT ALL regardless of involvement of Namco

Regrettably, due to whatever reason, people now assume it means "OH, there you go guys, no Namco characters!!" Really? That's not even close to what was said. Again, they're simply making it clear it's not going to be Namco characters all over and it's simply just still Smash Bros. And even if Namco had had no involvement at all ... Pac Man would still be one of the most logical and likely third party characters due for inclusion. Heck, Namco helping boosts Pac Man's chances not so much because of the fact Namco would want their character in, but more in the sense that getting the rights to the character would be considerably easier that it would be otherwise.

Also, regarding Sakurai's stance on third parties, he mentions in the developer direct how not any third part character is going to make it in. Mega Man made it because he was in a league of his own. We're talking about third parties that can carry their weight just by sheer name and influence. With that alone, I don't care how much you hate Pac Man, you can't tell me Pac Man by name alone wouldn't carry a gigantic influence. We're talking about the one character that's MORE WELL-KNOWN than Mario himself.

Want - 100%
No third party is more deserving than Pac Man. That's the bottom line. YoshiandToad already elaborated fantastically on this so there's really not much to be said.

Predictions
Goku - 0.75%
I look forward to seeing how many people rate before realizing we're not talking about THAT Goku

Wolf - 86%
A lot of doubters will probably lower the score.

Nominations
x5 Magolor

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Diskun - 5%

I suppose he has potential, just not much. Nobody expected characters like Mr. G&W or R.O.B., also two characters notable for their involvement in Nintendo's history, but I can't really see Diskun as being comparable to them. I suppose he is a character that Sakurai might consider, but if he gets in, it'll be quite shocking to me.

Want - 2%

Meh.

Pac-man - 90%

Pretty much what YoshiandToad said. He explained nearly everything that needed to be said. He is without a doubt the only potential third party character left that is truly famous and the only one left who has made such a big impact on the video game industry. He deserves it.

And the whole thing about "Namco won't be getting special treatment" doesn't hurt his chances at all, it's not like Sakurai said "Pac-man won't be in the game". It would be Sakurai's decision and idea to put Pac-man in Smash first, not Namco's. I doubt this statement hurts Pac-man's chances at all.

Want - 50%

That said, he isn't someone who I really want. I certainly do not hate the idea of him in Smash, but he isn't a character that I would be hyped for either. I'm indifferent to his inclusion.

Goku NES Prediction - 5.12%

Very, VERY obscure, but he would be a retro character, so I guess that helps him by a small bit.

Wolf Prediction - 84.33%

I think most will agree he is pretty safe at this point, but there is a bit of doubt.

2 DK newcomers x5.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm baaaack...

DISKUN:

Chance: 10%
Yes, 10%. He's a frontrunner for a WTF hardware character if WFT does not fit that niche.

Want: 95%
He could be really cool actually. Just imagining his body type and googly eyes is convincing enough.

PAC-MAN:

Chance: 80%
Uh, yeah. Namco is helping out, and even if they don't get any special treatment Pac-Man is legendary in his own right, and arguably deserves to be in Smash more than Snake.

Want: 90%
I'm sure Sakurai could make him interesting. I have confidence. Plus he's freaking Pac-Man.

Goku Prediction: 2.75%
Nah, probably not.

Wolf Prediction: 87.5%
I don't have to explain, do I? He's important an probably the least cloney of the clones.

Um...
Meowth x5
"That's Right!"

Groose

Smash Champion
Diskun: 5%
If Sakurai does indeed add a character to celebrate Nintendo's console history, I suppose it could be Diskun. From what I understand, he's fairly iconic in Japan. Additionally, his body shape and general design indicate that he would be a relatively simple addition. Overall, I don't think it's possible for us to truly expect him, but I could see a final game where he got in.

Diskun Want: 20%
Part of me sees him as a waste of space; part of me sees him as a pleasantly surprising newcomer in the vein of R.O.B. and Herr Game and Watch. All in all, I'd rather not see him, but I don't think I would truly hate his inclusion.

Pac-Man: 65%
Let me elaborate on what I said yesterday. I mentioned how it was likely that Bandai Namco would ask for a character in the game because they are making it. Unfortunately, Sakurai has made it clear that they're not getting special treatment--they're not just getting any old Joe Schmo into Smash. I suppose there's about a 1% chance that they would ask for a more minor character than their mascot and that Sakurai would approve this, but I really don't see them asking for someone other than Pac-Man, and I don't see Sakurai accepting anyone other than Pac-Man.

Pac-Man lacks the fan support that Sonic and Mega Man have, yes, but he has something that has gotten third-party characters in before--a direct line to Sakurai. Bandai Namco are in a position with direct access to the man behind the strings, similar to how Kojima was for Snake. In addition, he is truly legendary--no video game character is more famous than Pac-Man, with the possible exception of Mario himself. When you factor in both his iconic status and the open opportunity, and mix in a little bit of leak for good measure... I'd say I'd expect him by a solid margin.

Keep in mind, I expect four characters to be in this game: Miis (70%), Palutena (66%), Pac-Man (65%), and Ridley (60%) [I also expected Little Mac (70%)]. I think other characters (ex: Shulk and K. Rool) are in really good positions, but I really only have expectations for those four. None will be leaving my rosters anytime soon.

Pac-Man Want: 100%
I've been saying Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man since 2008. That won't be changing. Hate on the Pac all you want--I won't be joining you.

E. Gadd x5

DAY OVER

...UPDATES ON CONSECUTIVE SUNDAYS? I MISS FOOTBALL SEASON...

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
Diskun (Famicom Disk Drive)
4.72% chance
20.12% want

Several of us would really like and also expect a new historical character; however, the majority of us do not hold these opinions. Diskun managed scores that separate him from the bottom of the bunch, but he certainly didn't do great.

Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
59.69% chance (previously 54.99%)
50.21% want (previously 34.79%)

Pac-Man slightly improved his chance grade, and it really shows--previously Rank 9 Chance, he passed by Mii, Shulk, and Takamaru and rose to Rank 6 Chance. However, the most noteworthy thing about Pac-Man's day was his sharply increased want scores--the Pac is still outside of the Top 10 of want, but he did break the 50% barrier as part of a nearly 16% increase. Wakka wakka wakka wakka...

Today should be interesting. We are rating Goku, but not THAT Goku! We're rating Goku from the NES game Yuyuki. Can he make the cut as our new Retro character? Please rate Goku in chance and want. Additionally, play time is over--Star Wolf's leader is swooping in, hoping to catch rival pilot Falco Lombardi in chance. Can he do it? Please rate Wolf in chance and want.

ENGAGE TITLE DEFENSE MODE! King K. Rool, our most wanted newcomer, is krashing into the arena tomorrow. In addition, we'll be rating Grovyle from the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Please predict how King K. Rool and Grovyle will fare.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Goku
Chance: 0% - No!!!! There is absolutely no way that a manga character will be playable in............Ooops, I got the wrong guy.

Video Game Goku.
Chance: 3% - He would make a very good retro character. It's unfortunate that he is so obscure.
Want: 79% - I'll be somewhat miffed if Diskun Outscores him. At least Goku is actually a developed character rather than just a logo used to advertise and sell a product.

Wolf
Chance: 80% - I don't think he's the safest veteran.
Want: 60% - Pretty neutral here.

Grovyle prediction: 0.9%

King K. Rool prediction: 74%

Nominations: Improved stage builder x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Goku

Chance: 3% - I would definetly like him as the next retro character but given how little he is known outside of Japan, it'll be unlikely to see him join the fight.

Want: 50% - Mostly neutral on him.

Wolf O Donnell
Chance: 80% - Hes still popular within the Star Fox community & thanks to Lucario's reveal, I'm certain he won't face any risks from being cut. That doesn't mean he's locked in though.

Want: 65% - I'm cool with him. I might be a bit disappointed if he left but I'll get over it.

Nomination: Zoroark x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom