• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Looks like Diddy Kong got confirmed. It's not like anyone doubted that he would return… but I am glad that he doesn't have a tag team with Dixie Kong.
Also, how in god's name did Bulborb get over 2%?
King Boo and Rhythm Heaven Stage have been added to the Directory.

King Boo
Chance:
1%

That 1% is solely for the fact that Boos are a popular Mario enemy and that King Boo could represent Luigi's Mansion. While this guy does have a working moveset, I can't imagine him be the 6th Mario rep. I can't see him get in before Bowser Jr., Toad, or Waluigi do.
Want: 60%
Normally I would 0% a character like this, but I am heavily biased towards Luigi. I mean, Luigi is my favorite video game character of all-time and the more representation of him and his games, the better. Since King Boo would represent the Luigi's Mansion games, then that means more representation for Luigi! That and I loved both Luigi's Mansion games.

Rhythm Heaven Stage
Chance:
Abstain

I dunno much about Rhythm Heaven.
Want: 100%
Though I would like a stage from that game. I guess the stage could be WarioWare, Inc. and I loved that stage in Brawl!

Tetra Prediction: 8.83%
She might break 10%. Though, the Toon Zelda transformation thing will hurt her.
No Namco Character Prediction: 5.64%
Didn't Sakurai hint towards there being a Namco character?

Nominations: Zael 5x

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
King Boo Chance - 10%
A solid ten but I dont see him getting it ahead of characters like Bowser Jr.
King Boo Want - 10%
I don't hate the character but I'm not for him either so Meh . . .

Rhythm Heaven stage Chance - 67%
I think with all the crazy stages in the past a Rhythm Heaven stage wouldn't be too far fetched.
Rhythm Heaven stage Want - 90%
I do enjoy the series and would like to see the game get some representation in smash.

Predictions
Tetra - 75% - I feel she is most likely Zelda newcomer.
No Namco Rep - 20% - Not too high because I feel like the other eighty preset will be for it.

Nominations
Mii X5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Boo!

Chance: 0.1%
Luigi's Mansion boss at best, and I'm not sure we'll even get a Luigi's Mansion section of adventure mode...

Want: 10%
Meh, it'd be odd, but not too terrible, would be dissapointed her got the slot, but he could have a cool moveset I guess.

Rhythm Heaven:

Chance: 95%
As high as I'd go for stages. Stages aren't so much requested, but the combination of the obvious design for stage hazards from some of the rhythm games and the awesome music make it hard to believe it won't be used. Moreover rhythm games are HUGE in Japan, and Rhythm Tengoku is one of the more popular titles among the genre... heck, it even got 2 sequels and both of those got western release, that's gotta mean something about the trust Nintendo has in the series right? The main complaint is normally that it could be too similar to Warioware... but surely a game and wario stage is more likely, and even so I think neither of these stages are going to corner the mini-game stage representation... especially as the Rhythm Paradise mini-games version would likely be very different to the others.

Dat music...

Solo Tetra: 8.2%
While popular as a character she has the same issues as Zheik in that neither side really has enough for an obvious moveset, and that being the other is a big part of their personality (at least in OoT for RZelda).

No Namco Rep: 45.01%
Pac-man inversed, despite having scores the others really don't matter...

Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Spirit Camera/Too Many Names *5
(Are you going to re-use the ghost of a chance pun for this day too?)

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
King Boo

Chance - 0.25% - King Boo suffers two problems, namely Rosalina already being in and having other more noteworthy characters to contend with. While there are some circumstances when he might be picked, I don't consider any of those to be likely at all. He's more likely as an Assist Trophy.

Want - 52% - Ghost powers could be fun, but I really don't care for him.

Rhythm Heaven Stage

Chance - 72% - Stages are hard to predict, but I must admit that Rhythm Heaven will get some sort of representation somehow. I consider a stage to be quite likely, but it's somewhat harder to make due to not having any sort of obvious place to fight.

Want - 90% - So much good music, so many funny stages...

Predictions

Tetra solo - 17% - I'd guess she'd be towards the lower side of the mid-low range.

No Namco Rep - 67% - Just a guess.

Nominations
Nutty Noon Stage X5

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
king boo - 0.07%
no limbs, far down the list, more inept with the luigi Manson than Mario as a whole, and Mario already got a newcomer, he is mostly screwed
want - 2%
very little interest, I feel he'll be much better and more wanted as a boss,
RHS - 45.75%
hard to predict, but sakurai likes to give minority series there little own stage, seeing how rhythm heaven can be turn into one easily, its higher than others,
want - 70%
I like the idea
tetra solo - 16.79%
something tells me she won't become cannon fodder like all the others we've been rating, but without toon Zelda, its makes her a little bit more unlikely
no Namco rep - 48.35%
random guess, this one could go anywhere
nominaitons:
WolfX5

Last edited:

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
King Boo: 01.100010 01101111 01101111! (gotta love those Luigi's Mansion references)
Want: 15% Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon was good, but I would prefer not to have him in.

Rhythm Heaven Stage: 30%
Want: 50%

Tetra: 3.45%
No Namco Newcomer: 45.99%

x5 Cookie Country

Note: the reason I haven't been updating the music section is because the sound is out on my laptop. and my friend's laptop can't play videos correctly. I may be able to access a computer that works tomorrow though.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
King Boo's chances and Want: 0% - I do not see any more Mario characters happening, and if there was one I honestly don't see why he'd be picked over Bowser Jr. or even Waluigi. Personally I don't think it would be a good choice for a playable character either. He'd be better off as a boss or Assist Trophy.

Rhythm Heaven stage: 40% - I can see Rhythm Heaven getting recognized in some way, but I doubt a character. But I do think it could get a stage and/or Assist Trophy.
Want: 100% - I don't know if a character would work well, but I don't see any problems with a stage and I like the series, so yes please.

Tetra prediction: 12.85%
No Namco prediction: 25.45%

Takamaru x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
King Boo:

Chance: 2%
Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Toad, etc..

Could be really interesting, honestly.

Rhythm Heaven Stage:

Chance: 35%
I could definitely see it happening.

Might be really cool if done right.

Tetra Prediction: 18%
No Namco Character Prediction: 20.5%

Noms: x5 Pac-Man

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
King Boo chances: 10%
If Luigi's mansion counts as a seperate series! and gets a newcomer, King Boo has a chance.
If otherwise, he has no shot.

King Boo want: 50%
I think LM deserves it's on seperate series from Mario, even though it only has 2, maybe 3 characters to choose from. Though I would prefer E. Gadd over King Boo a bit, I would still love to see King Boo in Smash.

Rhythm Heaven Stage chance: 30%
I have no idea.
It could go either way.
It would be a pretty cool stage, but here is nothing that makes it essential.

Rhythm Heaven Stage want: 75%
Yes plz.
Ringside would make a cool stage, with Wrestler as a stage hazard (if he isn't a playable character, which he should be).

Tetra Prediction: 42.5%
As for Zelda newcomers, she seems pretty high on the list.
And she has a pretty decent group of supporters, so that should bring her chances up.

No Namco Newcomer Prediction: 25%
Pac-Man himself will bring this pretty low, since Pac himself is the only highly requested Namco rep, and he makes sense.

EDIT: I forgot my nomination.

Nomination: Same as usual, Sandbag X5

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
King Boo chances: 10%
If Luigi's mansion counts as a seperate series! and gets a newcomer, King Boo has a chance.
If otherwise, he has no shot.

King Boo want: 50%
I think LM deserves it's on seperate series from Mario, even though it only has 2, maybe 3 characters to choose from. Though I would prefer E. Gadd over King Boo a bit, I would still love to see King Boo in Smash.

Rhythm Heaven Stage chance: 30%
I have no idea.
It could go either way.
It would be a pretty cool stage, but here is nothing that makes it essential.

Rhythm Heaven Stage want: 75%
Yes plz.
Ringside would make a cool stage, with Wrestler as a stage hazard (if he isn't a playable character, which he should be).

Tetra Prediction: 42.5%
As for Zelda newcomers, she seems pretty high on the list.
And she has a pretty decent group of supporters, so that should bring her chances up.

No Namco Newcomer Prediction: 25%
Pac-Man himself will bring this pretty low, since Pac himself is the only highly requested Namco rep, and he makes sense.
I like your avatar.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
King Boo Chance: 2.5% Most people are really pushing his chances here, he may be unique, but he's pretty unlikely to be chosen as a character.
King Boo Want: 10%

Tetra Prediction: 7.5%

Nominations:
x5 Alph Brittany Charlie Trio

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
King boo: um..... about 5%
want: 50% indifferent.

Rhythm Heaven Stage: 65% because RH is a big deal

Tetra: 23.6%

Nominations:
Grovyle (PMD) x5
(um, do I still have extra five? if so, Old Man from zelda x5)

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
KING BOO

Chance: 1% - Not likely.

Want: 1% - Not really.

RHYTHM HEAVEN STAGE

Chance: 70% - Likely to get "representation".

Want: 70% - Likely to be fun.

Tetra Prediction: 35% - Wild guess.

No Namco Character Prediction: 35% - Wild guess again.

Nominations:
Midna x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
King Boo

I dont see him as very feasible. I dont see Luigi's Mansion getting represented with a character other than Luigi himself (which as far as we know, is a Mario rep) He could be good AT material.
Chance: 0.5%
Want: 25%

Rhythm Heaven Stage

Stages are pretty hard to call, because a stage can show up without a character. If Rhythm Heaven truly is important to Nintendo, then I dont see why they wouldn't have a stage.
Chance: 20%
Want: 40%

Tetra: 12.3%
No Namco (No Pacman): 26.5%

Nominations:
Juno x5

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
King Boo

Chance: 0.1%

I really don't see him as at all likely. We already have one Mario newcomer, and King Boo, while a prominent character, doesn't really have the significance to be a Smash character.

Want: 10%

I would rather like to see King Boo playable, but I really don't want Mario to get another character, especially at the expense of others.

Nominations: Dixie Kong x5

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
King Boo

Chance: 15%- I think he's a bit more likely than people give him credit for, but we already have a new Mario character. If we were to get another, his only competition is Bowser Jr., Waluigi, and Paper Mario if he doesn't represent his own series. That being said, he could get in as a Luigi's Mansion character. Also, anyone who uses the "no legs" argument is really close-minded.

Want: 100%- My second favorite Mario character, after Petey Piranha(I'll bring him up after Louie). I love Boos, and King Boo's powers and such are really cool.

Rhythm Heaven Stage

Chance: 40%- Not sure what to rate this, but I feel it could happen.

Want: 70%- I'm a fan of the series.

Predictions

Tetra

10.35%- I see her as one of the most likely Zelda characters, but being a separate character seems unlikely to most people around here.

No Namco Character

7.45%: I think we'll have one, but it seems like people are taking Sakurai's "no special treatment" quote way too seriously.

Nominations

Louie x5

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
King Boo
Chance - 2%
Really low simply because of the fact that Luigi is in the roster as a Mario character. If for some reason Luigi's Mansion branched off on its own, as a franchise, then I could see King Boo as an awesome possibility. But as it is, at most I can imagine a stage hazard, boss or assist trophy.

Want - 0%
No more Mario characters

Rhythm Heaven Stage
Chance - 60%
Fairly likely. The franchise was considerably successful, enough to be localized in the west, and in Japan it was much much bigger. Personally, I find it big enough to warrant a character, but given a smaller roster and certain all-stars being of greater priority, I'd understand if a stage is all Rhythm Heaven merits.

Want 100%
One of my most wanted newcomers would need its own stage. Also, we need a location for all the fantastic, catchy, incredibly. enjoyable. music from this series

Predictions
Tetra - 11%
I'd wager Toon Zelda is the one we may get on her own. Hopefully Tetra sticks to her moveset.

No Namco Character - 35%
Inverse of Pac Man I suppose?

Nominations
x5 Magolor

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
King Boo
Chance: 1%
He's just really unlikely. Huge intangible being that can constantly fly like Master Hand. This isn't like Jigglypuff or Kirby where they eventually need to land...King Boo is a ghost. He can fly without tiring. Also how do you punch a ghost?

Want: 0%
If Luigi repped Luigi's Mansion, I'd be a bit more for this even though the complexities behind a giant intangible constantly able to fly ghost seem to scream boss or bust to me. As a Mario character, you can bet your bottom dollar I don't want another minor Mario character jumping the goddamn queue after Rosalina. As a villain he's behind both Bowser Jr. and Waluigi. As a Mario character in general throw Toad and Paper Mario into the mix too.

Mario newcomers are serious goddamn business to me.

Rhythm Heaven Stage
Chance: 75%
Rhythm Heaven is built to be a stage essentially. I'm fairly confident that's the best representation for it...

Aside from the unlikely Glitz Pit, this is the only other stage I badly want to happen. I actually did quite like the Warioware stage.

Predictions:

Tetra, no Toon Zelda: 8%
Most will agree; she's most likely coming with Toon Zelda in tow if she does indeed arrive.

No Namco character: 28%
Expect a low want from me. As time goes on I find myself wanting Pac-Man more and more. I think many will see it as unlikely to happen.

Nominations:
Louie X 5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I thought it was suspicious that Bulborb got an overall score of 2.31% giving what I had seen.
I calculated it myself and got only 0.68%
Make of that what you will.

Groose

Smash Champion
I thought it was suspicious that Bulborb got an overall score of 2.31% giving what I had seen.
I calculated it myself and got only 0.68%
Make of that what you will.
...I will give it a recalculation. I do think your figure seems a bit more likely, and it may have been I accidentally put one of his want scores in the chance column. Such mistakes may happen occasionally--I'm not infallible.

EDIT: Yes, I can verify this. I still have the scores saved on my calculator, and I actually duplicated somebody's 75% from their Ridley rating into Bulborb's column. Thanks for bringing this to my attention; I'll rectify it on the results page soon.

@ Smasher 101 Smasher 101 ; I think it would be best if you awarded nominations based on a .68% result in addition to my original miscalculation.

Fatal Frame/Project Zero/Spirit Camera/Too Many Names *5
(Are you going to re-use the ghost of a chance pun for this day too?)
Me? Repeat a pun? That doesn't have a ghost of a chance of happening.

Last edited:

Groose

Smash Champion
King Boo: 5% chance
He's the main villain of his series (Luigi's Mansion) which has seen a recent release. Yet Luigi is listed as a Mario character and doesn't really derive any influence from Luigi's Mansion... I highly doubt we'll see a character other than Luigi from the series. Also, E. Gadd also provides some minor competition for this very unlikely slot.

King Boo Want: 75%
I think he'd be a pretty cool character, especially if he was a complete sneak that could trick out his opponents.

Rhythm Heaven Stage: 75%
This could appear on either version of the game; I'm pretty confident that at least one version would have a stage like this. Rhythtm Heaven is something like Electroplankton but actually popular.

Rhythm Heaven Stage Want: 75%
I think the musical influence of this stage would be good, but I'm not the biggest fan of the series, and I don't absolutely need to see it.

E Gadd x5

DAY OVER

...BOO

Groose

Smash Champion
King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
2.71% chance
26.42% want

King Boo doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of getting into this game. He doesn't stand a ghost of a chance of making you want him. You don't stand a ghost of a chance making me stop making this terrible pun over and over again.

Rhythm Heaven Stage
47.10% chance
68.31% want

A Rhythm Heaven Stage has more than a ghost of a chance of happening, but it fell just short of reaching statistical probability. Still, it has the highest chance score of any stage we've rated thus far, and it sits just a hair behind a Kirby's Epic Yarn stage in want. I guess you could say... it has more than a ghost of a want.

ARRR! Today we're setting out on the high seas in order to plunder some treasure rate a solo Tetra (no Zelda involved!) in chance and want. In additon, please rate the chance and want of us not receiving a Namco character.

Tomorrow we're seeing another possible historical character enter the arena in Diskun, mascot of the Famicom Disk Drive. Additionally, we'll see Pac-Man... who will probably receive the inverse score of today's concept! Yay! Please predict Diskun and Pac-Man's scores. Do they have a ghost of a chance?

Edit: The results tab on the OP is now up to date. I will update the Special Thanks Tab, cleanup the rules and how to play tabs, and make some misc. changes of that nature later this weekend. There's a ghost of a chance of me doing it now; I'm primed to fall asleep at the keyboard here.

Last edited:

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Tetralone: 19%
One of the most likely candidates for a new Zelda rep.

Want: 32%
Being able to transform into Toon Zelda would undoubtedly make her more interesting.

No Namco Character: 70.5%
Well, Sakurai said they weren't getting any preferential treatment, so...

Want: 82.5%
If it means not getting Pac-Man, then I'm fine with it.

Diskun prediction: 0.7%
Pac-Man prediction: 49.1%

Nominate (I checked, I won the extra noms for King Boo):
Kunio-Kun/Alex x8
Protoman x2

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Tetra Solo:
14% She's either coming with Toon Zelda or not at all.

No Namco rep: 50% I can see it go either way.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
King Boo-
5% Chance
20% Want
I love King Boo, but representing Luigi's Mansion should go to just Luigi's Final Smash, even E. Gadd's a better choice.
Rhythm Heaven Stage-
90% Chance
75% Want
I really feel like this is a very likely stage on either versions of the game, its the same vein as the Hanenbow stage.
Tetra-
40% Chance
80% Want
My personal pick for a Zelda rep is Tetra or Tingle, but Zelda is one of the hardest series to call, it could go either way. I'd rather see Tetra alone and have Zelda use more Toon related stuff like the Phantom, either way she isn't that hype-able.
No Namco Rep-
50% Chance
Really hard to call, at this point Pac Man isn't that excitable and therefore not seeming as likely as before, other Namco reps really aren't big enough, so really could go either way.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Solo Tetra:
Chances: 7%
Want: 0%

-No Namco Character:
-Chances: 25%

-Diskun prediction: 2,1%

-Pac-Man prediction: 75%

-Nomination: Toon Zelda/Tetra X5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Solo Tetra

Chance - 10% - For some reason, I think Tetra is about as likely as he being conjoined with Toon Zelda. Thanks to the recent rerate, I definitely noticed that I probably overrated my older Zelda characters, so this will be my next score should we rerate them. I think that Toon Zelda is one of the more likely characters to end up appearing for the sake of semi-cloning, but I'd also argue that Tetra is strong enough to stand by herself, so it's split even between the two.

Want - 85% - I would definitely prefer this to her being forced to be a part of a gimmick. Tetra transforming into Zelda actually somewhat strikes me as being out of character for her, so I'd rather them be separate.

No Namco Character

Chance - 75% - Slightly higher than an inverse of my Pac-Man score (who I think I might have overrated). Remember that Sakurai said that Namco is not getting special treatment. While this is not a complete denial, it does mean that they would have to go through the same hoops that every other third party must go through. The only thing that developing changes would be the fact that contact between the two is much easier. I'll admit that they are the only other company that I expect another third party from, but they still have to go through the trouble of licensing, checking through the move set possibilities, and keeping Namco happy with how Pac-Man (or whoever) is presented. It's a lot of work, and I'm not certain that whoever they pick is someone people can truly be exited over, and they might be hesitant.

As for the rumored other characters, I won't believe it until only one character is left. It's been that way for a while, and I'm not changing it.

Want - 70% - I'm sorry, but I'd rather not just get a character just because they are easy to access. A third party character must earn their keep by being famous and/or historically notable AND having a very interesting move set so obvious that it should not have to be debated much. Pac-man may past the first criteria, but not the second.

Predictions

Diskun - 0.29% - A very weird, out of left field retro. Few people should be giving high scores.

Pac-Man - 50.6% - Shouldn't we have waited a bit just to see the No Namco scores before this?

Nominations
Nutty Noon Stage X5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Lone Tetra
Chance: 5% - I think we're far more likely to get a Toon Zelda/Tetra combo.
Want: 0% - I'd prefer her with Toon Zelda.

No Namco rep:
Chance: 50% - It's very hard for me to predict, I feel it could go either way.
Want: 50% - I'm indifferent.

Diskun prediction: 1.9%

Pac-Man prediction: 54.99% (Same score he got last time)

Nominations: Improved stage builder x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tetra and No Namco Newcomer have been added to the Directory.

Tetra
Chance:
7%

Definitely a good candidate for a 2nd Toon character in the Zelda universe. She is by far one of the most popular choices in terms of a Zelda newcomer, but her detriment is that she is often paired with Toon Zelda. As such, getting in on her own would be difficult. Tetra is a part of Toon Zelda's character, so it would be odd to not see Tetra as a part of her moveset (and it would be incredibly stupid if Sakurai actually created a nonexistent Toon Sheik). However, she is definitely one of the more easier characters to create and probably wouldn't take much time or effort to do. If Sakurai is looking for a Zelda newcomer and doesn't want to spend too much time on one, Tetra is his safest bet as a character like Tingle or Ghirahim would take time.
I have Wind Waker HD on my Wii U… but I haven't gotten too far in it. (I'll fix this later in the future)
Regardless, I love Tetra as a character and she is definitely one of my favorite incarnations of Zelda. If she got in, I would be pretty happy. Would I main her? No. However, I would love to see her presence on the roster.
EDIT: 5% more because I can. Thinking about it more, seeing her or Ghirahim would make me happy for the 5th Zelda character.

No Namco Newcomer
Chance:
5%

I just have a gut feeling that we will get a Namco character… and that character will be one and done. I mean… Namco is helping developing Smash right now, I bet that they would at least want one of their characters in. I believe Sakurai also hinted at a Namco character appearing in Smash.
Want: 80%
No one from Namco interests me, not even Pac-Man.

Diskun Prediction: 14.82%
If we must have a historical character, Diskun might be our guy. Yet, at the same time, having one is a bit questionable to me.
Pac-Man Prediction: 45.03%
This shall be interesting…

Nominations: Zael 5x

@ Toxicroaker Toxicroaker , I have some music for you:
Reyn Time
Unfinished Battle
Mechanical Rhythm
Colony 9
Hometown

Master Hand
Final Destination (64)
Final Destination (Melee)
Giga Bowser
Multi-Man Melee 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme

Last edited by a moderator:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Tetra: 25% less likely then with toon zelda because..... um... brawls data files? (wait but dixie+diddy thing didn't work out)
45%
Want: 90% WE NEED SOME space PIRATES in EVERY FIGHTING GAEM

no namco: 50-50 for pac man, 5 for klonoa, so that means....
45%
Want: 40% Kinda want Klonoa..... pac-man blows though.

Diskun: 4.3%
Mac-Pan: 100% he's confirmed
Pac-Man: 56.4%

Nominations: Grovyle x5

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Tetra: 25% less likely then with toon zelda because..... um... brawls data files? (wait but dixie+diddy thing didn't work out)
45%
Want: 90% WE NEED SOME space PIRATES in EVERY FIGHTING GAEM

no namco: 50-50 for pac man, 5 for klonoa, so that means....
45%
Want: 40% Kinda want Klonoa..... pac-man blows though.

Diskun: 4.3%
Mac-Pan: 100% he's confirmed
Pac-Man: 56.4%

Nominations: Grovyle x5
dude . . . that's probably your best avatar, its great

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
First character in a while I've been rather interested in rating, so I'm going indulge myself in a longer post...

Tetra - 10%
Here's a real oddity: a newcomer that we've rated twice now to great success, but only in the context of being the transformation of a presumptive clone. Out of context, that sounds really weird. Why should it be more unlikely that they simply fly solo? Why should a clone be considered at all likely when all signs point to unique newcomers being greatly preferred to clones or even semi-clones? Is this some bizarre case of Smashboards groupthink, or does the pairing over individual characters have grounding in reality? Well, as is clear from my rating, I do think Tetra flying solo isn't terribly likely, and the context of being Toon Zelda's alternate identity is critical to understanding why.

First, a positive note: I do think Tetra is the most notable Zelda character not already playable in Smash, and given the apparent focus on unique newcomers, Tetra not having a Toon Zelda transformation may be preferable, not to mention less work for Sakurai and company. Crafting a moveset around her being a pirate and perhaps commanding her crew could make for a very unique character without the crutch of a Toon Zelda transformation. Tetra being solo is certainly a viable option, regardless of how likely it may seem at the moment.

What makes this considerably more unlikely than the paired character, though, is partially due to Smash history and partially due to how she is portrayed in the actual games. The most obvious Smash-related issue is with Zelda and Sheik. Sheik, like Tetra, is the famous alter-ego of an incarnation of Zelda, and her inclusion in Smash ended up being not as a solo character but as a transformation from Zelda. Considering that design was used in both Melee and Brawl, it stands to reason that Tetra, being another popular Zelda alter-ego, would likely be depicted as a transformation of Toon Zelda. A less obvious issue (though one well known here on Smashboards) is that placeholder files for Toon Zelda were found in Brawl as part of the "Forbidden Seven", and along with her files were those for a Toon Sheik. While it's impossible to know if Toon Sheik was actually going to be a Toon-ified Sheik or a placeholder for Tetra, the implication is clear that Toon Zelda takes precedent over Tetra and that a transformation was planned.

More interesting, in my mind, is why it makes more sense from the perspective of the Zelda games themselves. Tetra herself only appears in Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, with a cameo in Spirit Tracks as she is depicted as the ancestor of the Zelda of that game. Between the two games she only takes on the persona of Princess Zelda in Wind Waker when it is practically forced on her, and once the main quest completes she returns back to her feisty pirate self. Meanwhile, Toon Zelda has appeared in five games without including Phantom Hourglass (WW, MC, FS, FSA, ST), both making the design rather widespread throughout the series and generally making her more important than Tetra herself is. Toon Zelda is typically presented in a similar fashion to any other Zelda, but it's her Spirit Tracks rendition that really makes me think TZ/T could be a thing as that particular Zelda maintains many of Tetra's personality traits as a descendant. Even if she never takes on the role of a pirate herself, it seems the legacy of Tetra lives on and has become a critical part of Toon Zelda's identity within her most popular appearances, so should Toon Zelda ever make it into Smash, it stands to reason that Tetra would be the logical choice to replace Sheik (assuming Sakurai doesn't actually make a Toon Sheik).

There's one other little detail that seems to indicate that TZ/T isn't merely possible, but perhaps is even imminent. Remember that Phantom that appeared in Zelda's SSB4 reveal? That's a very clear nod to Spirit Tracks, which seems like an odd choice for regular Zelda...unless Toon Zelda is in the works and both their movesets were altered to include said Phantom. While that certainly seems to help the chances of Toon Zelda appearing (and, by extension, TZ/T), it hurts the chances of solo Tetra since it implies that Toon Zelda is in the works, and if TZ is in, there's no chance Tetra is going to be solo. There's the edge case that Toon Zelda specifically was cut early on and the Phantom is merely a leftover scrap from that design, allowing solo Tetra to be a thing, but that's a bit too specific a speculative scenario to really affect anyone's odds.

Where does this leave us? Well, Toon Zelda/Tetra sure feels like the most likely Zelda newcomer. Tetra alone, on the other hand, just doesn't seem likely, at least based on what we know of the character and how Sakurai has treated her and regular Zelda within Smash. Being a paired, transform character seems to be the possibility with the most momentum behind it and the logical choice if either of the two characters were considered for Smash. As such, TZ/T gets the highest chance of all the possible incarnations of the character by quite a bit, while Tetra solo lags far behind in second, followed far behind again in third by a possible Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik. Both of those last two options certainly seem plausible, but at this point it doesn't seem like either one is terribly likely.

Want - 75% - I really like Tetra. The weird thing is I'm even more fond her being a transformation of Toon Zelda since I'm already a fan of regular Zelda in Smash and like how well having them paired ties into the lore of the Zelda series, particularly her Wind Waker incarnation. Would certainly be pleased to see her solo, but TZ/T seems like a significantly better option.

No Namco Bandai Character - 25%
We've known since SSB4 was announced that Namco was a critical part of the developing the game. Given that relationship, it makes a lot of sense that Namco Bandai would be strongly considered for a potential third party character, assuming they have one that is high profile enough to be sensible for Smash. Considering they own Pac-Man, one of the most famous video game characters ever, they certainly have something that fits the bill. Even discounting that, there are some more niche options like Lloyd Irving or Kazuya that appeal to Nintendo fans or fighting game fans. It's not exactly a guarantee, knowing that Sakurai has said that Namco isn't going to get special treatment for a third-party slot, but it feels like it's rather likely a Namco character will be in SSB4, probably showing up in a trailer this E3.
Want - 50% - Pretty neutral, though Pac-Man in particular would fit in well alongside icons like Mario and Sonic even if his fighting capabilities are dubious.

Diskun Prediction - 2.2%
Will have enough speculative fans to counteract the inevitable zero/near-zero ratings.

Pac-Man Prediction - 55%
Pretty funny we're re-rating him right after this current concept round.

Nominations
Midna x5

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
@ Spears In Smash Bros. Spears In Smash Bros. wins the King Boo prediction. @TCT~Phantom wins for the RH stage.

Tetra solo: 0.5% - I don't see why she'd get in without Toon Zelda, honestly.
Want: 60% - That being said, I'd like it better if she did.

No Namco: 25% - Minus 70% for Pac-Man, and another 5% if for some reason they want a Namco rep that's not Pac-Man. I think Pac-Man's more likely than any other remaining third-party, including Snake.
Want: 70% - None of the potential Namco characters would excite me, tbh.

Diskun prediction: 2.83%
Pac-Man prediction: 56.45% - Thinking we'll get a bit of an increase.

Takamaru x5

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Tetra Likelihood: 6%

No Namco: 60%

Diskun: 5.15%
Pac-Man: 51.1%

Unlockable Newcomers x5

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Tetris Tetra
Chance: 10%
Maaaybeee? If she gets in, she will most likely just be the transformation of Toon Zelda, who is also unlikely to be in this game.
Indifference ahoy! I don't have any connection to the character because I've never actually played Wind Waker. *GASP*

No Namco character
Chance: 50%
Man, I don't even know.
Want: 30%
I actually do want Pac-Man, but I'll get into that tomorrow.

Predictions
Diskun: 7.38%
Pac-Man (what a coincidence!): 37.11%

Nom: Shadow X5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom