• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Tingle: 20%
He is the only Zelda rep left that has some shot of getting in. All of these other one time appearance characters should rank lower than Tingle.
Those "one time characters" aren't despised by most of the American fanbase.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Because everything revolves around America, right?
Sakurai has already acknowledged the hatebase and said it's not going to happen. Not only taht, he isn't even a popular choice in Japan. He might have a large fanbase, but almost nobody requests him in Japan at all. They're two completely different fanbases.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Sakurai has already acknowledged the hatebase and said it's not going to happen. Not only taht, he isn't even a popular choice in Japan. He might have a large fanbase, but almost nobody requests him in Japan at all. They're two completely different fanbases.
Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have sources for this? I'm genuinely interested since I've never heard anything of the sort.

Groose

Smash Champion
Not to be insulting (sorry Groose,) but arent there a multitude of better choices, even if theyre mostly one time villains?

How's that insulting me? Hah. I like the character, but even I don't consider him particularly likely (though your .1% chance is lower than I would give for ANY character, especially since the Wii Fit Trainer).

CalumG

Smash Lord
I'll bite for Tingle:

Likelihood: 30% - give or take, that is. If Zelda gets a newcomer, I have no doubt that Tingle is the most deserving - including someone like Ghirahim or Zant over Tingle would be like including Wart over Toad or Bowser Jr. That being said, if they stick to the current tradition of Zelda only having Triforce wielders and variations upon that theme, I could easily see the Zelda roster staying the same, bar Toon Link perhaps getting replaced with Classic Link. Basically, if Zelda gets a newcomer, it should be Tingle, but there's no evidence one way or another for how many reps Zelda is getting.

Want: 100% - Without a doubt, one of the few characters I have supported for years, since prior to Brawl's release. I wanted him then, I want him now and if he doesn't get in Smash 4 I'll be a firm supporter for Tingle in Smash 5. :p

Sandbag: 0% - No comment.

Mallo (Pushmo/Crashmo) x 5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
5%

Tingle isn't very popular in either America or Japan, and Sakurai has noted this specifically. He has competition from Ghirahim, Tetra/Toon Zelda, Vaati, Skull Kid, Impa, Midna & Wolf Link, Masked Set Young Link, and Young Link (Melee), all of whom are no less likely than him. The only thing he has going for him is multiple appearances, which some of the others have as well, and almost everyone of them is more popular. He's barely more likely than Groose and Demise and Zant. Okay, maybe quite a bit more likely, but they're not out of his league.

Sandbag predict: 0.02%

Saki Amamiya x5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Tingle, Tingle! Kooloo Limpah!

Tingle:
Likelihood: 25%
Not too big of a chance...A Zelda newcomer is doubtful at best, and Tingle has competition from Toon Zelda/Tetra in that category.

Want: 100%
Being the OP of the Tingle thread, giving him anything less than 100% is blasphemy.

Sandbag:
Predicting: 0.4%

Nominations: Toon Zelda/Tetra x 5

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Tinlge:
America hates him, Japan doesn't buy into him that much, and even his primary Japanese audience don't seem to be all that interested in him being in smash... That said he's probably the most iconic of the remaining LoZ characters (well, Epona, Malon, and perhaps Impa all have a claim there too, but I think Tingle clinches it with his own games). Sure Zelda probably doesn't need more representation but it's a popular series and if it got more I personally see no-one with more chance than Tingle.

Chance: 40%
I may be a little high, but Zelda sells the system for a lot of people, and as such I think it deserves more representation. My big question is if Sakurai feels the same, or if he feels Tingle can bring something new enough to the mix.

Want: 100%
Yeah, I'm a Tingle fan, deal with it!

Sandbag: 1.19%
Someone's bound to vote him high.

Slime*5 (It's only a matter of slime 'till he's vote eligable)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Tingle - 5%
Want - 0%
+ Last of the main recurring Zelda characters
- Isn't popular, Japan's neutral on him and everywhere else he's hated,
- Arguably isn't a fighter

He missed his chance in Brawl pretty much, a Zelda newcomer isn't very likely this time anyway bar a new Child Link variation or Toon Zelda.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Tingle - 5%
Want - 0%
Agreeable, fair points made...

He missed his chance in Brawl pretty much, a Zelda newcomer isn't very likely this time anyway bar a new Child Link variation or Toon Zelda.
No. The "missed their chance in _____" argument was not, is not and won't in the future be a decent argument for or against a characters inclusion. The argument could've been made that Diddy missed his chance in Melee considering how dormant the DK series was on the Gamecube, but that simply wasn't a case. The "missed their chance" argument is especially irrelevant when you consider the fact that they've tackled all of the big Nintendo all-stars in Brawl - so characters that may not have had as much of a chance before now have far less to compete with in terms of priorities. See: Villager.

AfricanSanta

Smash Cadet
Tingle chances- 5%- Not only do most people hate him, but its arguable that Zelda needs a rep.

Tingle want- 0%- Just...... look at it.

Sandbag Prediction- 1.90%

Nominations:
Dillon x5

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Tingle

Chances: 7%
He's a pretty small character in the Zelda series, but he did have one or two (possibly even more) spinoff games that never came stateside. So that makes him a larger name in the series (or even a possible candidate for his own spinoff series rep. Though, this seems unlikely - I won't rule it out as a possibility.

Want: 3%
I really think his spot in brawl as an Assist Trophy is/was perfect. That's exactly suited to him. I would probably moan and complain if he was to be playable - but I would also probably like it on some level. Would definitely play as him.

*cough*half the roster*cough*

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Tingle
Prediction: 8%
Has pros and cons, has some competition.

Want: 0.00000000000000000001

Seriously, I'd rather have Waluigi and Gangrel's lovechild than this abomination, this disgrace to the Zelda series.

Sandbag: 3%

Noms:
Omastar x1
Gaius x3
Yarne x1

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Tingle, fu.ck yes it's about ****!ng time.
Prediction 65%
Tingle, as most have said, is the other most reocurring character in the LoZ to not be in the game. Not only that but with 3 games of his own and a DSi download, he's essentially to Zelda what Yoshi is to Mario. As for his hatebase, it is vastly overstated alot. Anybody who says the united states hates him is overexaggerating by a lot. He does even have a FANBASE over here as well, but it's small. Probably a little bit smaller than the hatebase. Their both pretty tiny though. In Japan, his fanbase is pretty good sized. The deal is though, in japan a hatebase is nonexistant. But it seems overall, people either don't like the way he looks so don't want him, or wish characters like Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim, or Zant would be in before him. Which frankly is ridiculous if you ask me. And I'd say Tingle is more likely than any of those characters as he should be. He should have been in brawl, he was still Zelda's yoshi esque when brawl came out. Now even moreso though. Btw I want to see a link to where Sakurai commented on Tingle's hatebase.
I'd say if LoZ gets a new rep, It'd be him for sure, or toon zelda. But if toon link was cut, we'd get no toon zelda. So his chances aren't as low as alot of you seem to think.

Want 100% damn straight

Sandbag prediction .5%

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Sigh, two more impossible characters to give zeros to
Tingle prediction: 0%
Want: 0%
Sandbag: -_-

x5 Starfy

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Alright, I'll just look back on this comment when SSB4 comes out then. In reality, a lot of people seem too optimistic in my opinion for these characters
the only optimism involved, was what fueled me to find the facts i used to make my decision

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Tingle Prediction: 5%

Want 30% : If zelda has 5 characters total, and toon link is removed, that leaves 2 new zelda characters, as long as one of those characters is either skull kid, vaati, ghirahim, or impa, i would be fine if he has 1 slot

Sandbag: 1.5%

Nominations:
Bomberman x5

TheCreator

Smash Lord
I REALLY don't feel like finding you any sources. I know i'm not going to change your mind regardless. Can you just do it yourself?

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Tingle

Prediction - 30% - I doubt a newcomer for Zelda. Even then, I feel as if there are many other characters in the series that are more likely.

Want - 15% - He feels rather "bottom of the Barrel"-ish to me. I really don't think he should be playable.

Sandbag Prediction - 0.2% - ... Really? We're voting on him?

Nominations
Ike x3
Pokémon Trainer X1
ROB X1

Ephecus

Smash Apprentice
Tingle
Chance: 10%
Want: 1%
Tingle is a similar case as Toad. While they do have some popularity both of them don't really seem to fit SSB. I'd really hate it if Tingle got in over Skull Kid or Impa.

Sand Bag: 1.5%

Nominations:
4x Medusa
1x R.O.B

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
Tingle ~6.4%
While yes, he's a recurring character, I'd rather (and probably will) have another character like Vaati or Toon Zelda.

Want~30%
I like the guy but I have other Zelda characters to support.

Sand Bag~100%
Well, he IS going to be in the game.
Sand Bag as a fighter~0.9999%

Noms:
Genesect x5

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Tingle - 26%

I still think he has more of a chance than many would like to admit. He has had numerous appearances in the Zelda games and even had his own spinoff. That said I wouldn't say he's incredibly likely...if we get a new Zelda rep it'll probably be the Link from the Link to the Past sequel.

Want - 10%

I don't really care for him....but I don't have hatred for him either. If he was in I wouldn't be bothered but I don't have an interest in him.

Sandbag - 1%

The reason for the 1% is that I think if Sakurai goes on a drugs bender there might be a small chance he'll add Sandbag as a WTF character....but there are probably more worthy WTF characters out there.

Nominations:
Chibi Robo X3
Robin (Awakened) X2

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Tingle

likelihood: 5%

Want: 10%
I kind of like the guy, but he needs to stay as an assist trophy

Sandbag
Prediction: 4.35%

Nominations:
Dillon (The Rolling Western) x5

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Tingle - 2%
His fanbase is small, and a lot more people seem to plain dislike him. Despite being pushed in quite a few Zeldas, including his own spin-offs, Tingle as a character just hasn't taken off, and as such its difficult to take him seriously as a Smash contender. More importantly, he just isn't much of a fighter, which would be quite the oddity from Zelda of all series. He's not impossible, especially knowing how hard Nintendo has tried to push the character in the past, but if we're looking for a new Zelda rep, Tingle seems like an extremely unlikely choice. Now, if we're talking Assist Trophies...
Want - 0% - If he was a fifth Zelda character, I'd be disappointed. If he took the spot of any Zelda veteran, I'd be downright angry. No thank you.

Sandbag Prediction - 1%
I foresee a lot of zeroes next round, but as a potential Smash original, he ought to do slightly better than sub-1% Owain.

Nominations
Toon Zelda/Tetra x5

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Tingle-
Prediction 10%- The Zelda franchise is arguably complete, with that he is probably not the most requested character of the franchise, He has a strong hatebase making him drop significantly.

Want 20%- Personally for another Zelda rep, I would rather have Toon Zelda, because she was even planned in Brawl, and stuff.

Sandbag- 12%

Nominations-
Masked Man 5x

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
tingle likelihood: 25%. he would be my pick for a fifth zelda rep.
want: 100%. Great character, Represents the strange strain of Zelda since MM. He's both an awesome design and uncomfortable to look at, so he is a very fearful opponent.
Sandbag chances 15.24%
nominations:
waluigi x5

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tingle: 17%
He's notable and recurring, something very rare in Zelda.

He does have a hatebase, but it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Want: 65%
He'd be kinda cool, and would be a fun troll character.

Sandbag Prediction: 2.3%
Yay...More troll predictions.... -_-

Nominations:
Pokemon Trainer x3
Ike
R.O.B.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Tingle - 5%
Want - 0%

You just described my vote

Groose

Smash Champion
Tingle's Chances: 25%
I personally see Tingle on about the same level as yesterday's candidate: Toad. He's the most important recurring character from his series that has yet to be added... yet he is minor compared to all of the current representatives (bar Sheik, but she's "part" of Smash Zelda). And, yes, he is important... just try beating Wind Waker (remake soon, increases relevance) and Majora's Mask (remake soon? more relevance?).

Of course, I also find Tingle susceptible to many of the arguments that can be made against Toad. One, he's a "bland" choice. There are many more... decorated Zelda characters out there, such as Vaati, Skull Kid, and Ghirahim. Secondly, these characters do have more obvious moveset potential. Thirdly, Zelda may not warrant a new character. A fourth detractor, and the only one Toad does not also face, is Tingle's hatebase. It exists.

All in all though, I think Tingle has a chance, but a small one.

Tingle Want: 100%
Ain't it obvious?

Sandbag Prediction: 1.2%
He has one advantage over Owain: people actually know who he is. Actually... that may turn out to be a disadvantage.

Nominate Dillon x5!

PS: Reading all of your comments so far has made it difficult for me to stop laughing. Especially Waltingle. Oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom