• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Dark Matter
Likelihood: 1%

Want: 0%

Slime
Likelihood: 1%

Prediction: 1.1%

Nominations:
Slippy x5

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Dark Matter Chances: 2%
Dark Matter Want: 3%: Dark Matter<Magolor<Prince Fluff<Bandana Dee

Slime Chances: 0.1%
Slime Want: 5% I just don't care for it

Quote Prediction: 0.001% Who is THAT?

Bayonetta x5

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Dark Matter: 8% Trophy or boss material.
Want: 65% I liked Dark Matter.

Slime: 1% Too much 3rd party competition and I can't see it working out.
Want: 5%

x5 Tiny Kong

Groose

Smash Champion
Well. Hmm. AHEM. I'm working on the update now. Let's just say that after the outcome of the game last night, there should be no more interruptions on Saturdays. Unfortunately.
Groose, shouldn't this be at 20 since I had 2 days + 1 day of extra noms? Excluding this day.
It should be. As a matter of fact,I remember putting those noms in because I burst out laughing when I realized that you used your extra noms on them. I believe that the new site update is... messing with the nominations? IT MAY BE BEST IF PEOPLE COULD SPOT ME ON THE NOMS FOR A FEW DAYS.

EDIT: I've noticed several inconsistencies with the nominations, and I tried to correct them where I could. Oddly enough, for every inconsistency I noticed, there appears to be at least one thing that's where it should be. So it saved... some of my edits to the nominations. Well. I'm taking an alternate approach today... we'll see if that works. DEFINITELY spot me.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
All I remember is that my noms today brought Extensive Alternates to 100, so we'll be doing that next day.

Groose

Smash Champion
Just going to note that if anybody nominates "Namco rep" these are functionally equivalent to rate, as one would simply be the inverse of the other.
I thought of this toowhen I was tallying the nominations. There is the very slight difference of if we get two Namco characters, however. The likelihood of which... probably isn't great.

Finished something for the Chrom rerate.
Oh boy! Just in time, too!

I've been nominating Daitoryo every day for awhile now, so I hope you caught that.
I noticed that he was missing 10 votes. I changed it accordingly.

Dark Matter: 5%
Before I started reading Brawl in the Family, I had heard of him, but only vaguely. Now that I have a better understanding of him, I'll acknowledge this: he's probably the closest thing Kirby can offer to a Ridley/K. Rool. Unlike those guys, however, he isn't all that recurring or... shaped to be a fighter; also Kirby isn't guaranteed a newcomer, and Waddle Dee is more likely. I'm going to give him 5% because he's probably second or third on the charts in likelihood for a Kirby newcomer.

Dark Matter Want: 10%
I guess I could use him to reenact Brawl in the Family scenes? Otherwise, I find him generic and a bit of a waste of a slot. Plus, I know of no people who are really pulling for him, so I wouldn't have any people to congratulate.

Slime Chance: 15%
I've learned two lesson in my life. First, never underestimate the Japanese popularity of Dragon Quest. Second, never underestimate Sakurai's ingenuity. Still, I think it's safe to say Slime is a longshot for this game; he faces third-party competition from Pac-Man, Rayman, and Layton as well as competition from inside his company, like Sora and a Final Fantasy Character. Overall, if Dragon Quest's mascot were more suitable to a fighting game, I'd almost be expecting it. But Slime is a Slime and is therefore doubtful.

Slime Want: 75%
That said, I think he'd have to be a unique fighter, and I do like Slime. I'm not actively supporting him and I would prefer other third-parties (Layton, Pac-Man), but I would be excited if a Slime drew near.

x5 Dr. Mario Stage

Quote 1.40%
And I Quote: "Pac-Man is the most likely third-party."

DAY OVER

RETURN OF GROOSE

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I feel like this is going to be a big day.

Groose

Smash Champion
Dark Matter (Kirby)
1.86% chance
17.67% want

I remarked in my post that Dark Matter doesn't stand a chance because he doesn't have a fanbase for Smash. Well, his scores kinda verify what I thought: not very popular, not very likely.

Slime (Dragon Quest)
4.80% chance (previously 6.06%)
32.65% want (previously 24.43%)

Slime's want score rose by about 8%--he passed the quarter mark and nearly reached the one-thirds mark. Unfortunately, his chance dropped by over a percent; this will set him back about five slots on the results. A Slime... doesn't seem to be drawing near.

Today we're rating Quote. Played Cave Story? I personally haven't, but I've heard only good things; it's also received a lot of media coverage. Anyway, please rate Quote in chance and want. In addition, our concept/stage/rerate of the day is going to be Chrom, the current number five on the chance charts. Please rate Chrom in chance and want.

Tomorrow we're rating... Pichu! Yeah, that's right--the most OP Melee character is coming back for a match tomorrow. Please predict how Pichu will do in tomorrow's game. The extra noms have been swallowed by Brawler610 today.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Quote chance: 2.5% Despite the exclusivity on being published on Nintendo consoles and handhelds, he doesn't stand a chance against even Layton. I guess the only that would benefit him is that he would be the first popular indie character in long while.
Quote want: 100% Cave Story is one of the greatest games I have ever played, I would absolutely love his inclusion as a character.
Chrom chance: 80% I still think he has a good chance at being in the next Smash Bros, I think Sakurai will make him a unique character despite what people say about him.
Chrom want: 85% He was part of my first FE playthrough,I like Chrom a lot, I would not mind his inclusion.
Pichu prediction: 1.56% Just a wild guess.
Nominations:
X5 Daitouryou.

Last edited:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Quote: 0.0001%
Notes before I start this: I threw this together in 5 minutes and my points may seem biased and they probably are but if my rating was biased it would be like 5% lower. So the rating is the important thing. And only expect this for special characters. Like a certain duo I've been nominating.

Ah, a new day, new ratings. Let’s see what we have here today. Chrom huh. This ought to be an interesting rerate.

Yes. I will deserve my much needed higher want and chance rating from you today!

Please. My opinions of you haven't changed at all. Perhaps you might convince me otherwise though.

For starters, I am clearly the most wanted Fire Emblem charact-

Please Chrom. Everyone knows I am much more popular.

Wait Roy? When did you get here? Ah, that's not a problem, and yes Chrom, Roy is speaking the truth.

Damn you! Well, I am the star of the latest Fire Emblem game.

Recency isn't everything, and you share a lead role with Robin and Lucina.

Well I would clearly be a 100% unique character.

What a joke! My fire alone would make me more unique than you could ever be!

Oh yeah? Well, I could team with Robin or Lucina, and-

That would be a different character.

I could... use my lance?

Yes, let's just give you a weapon that you aren't known for using and don't use for the majority of the game because you aren't unique enough. At least Roy could have a fire projectile based zoning moveset with the Sword of Seals. What can the Falchion do?

Umm.. it can light up blue?

YAY LET'S MAKE A MOVESET BASED ON A SWORD LIGHTING UP DIFFERENT COLORS! Overall, you're as boring as ever and less likely in my eyes. I would rather have Corn in this game. 40% Chance, 0% Want

You can't do this to me!

I'll kick him out.

No!

*gets kicked out*

Thank you Roy. Perhaps you would like to help me with this if another troublesome character appears?

I would be glad to.

Nominating Yarne and Owain x5 and expecting a 5.75% for Pichu

edit: ah wow pictures much bigger than i thought except for the Roy one.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Quote's chances: 0%
Want: 0% - Cave Story's a decent game but I don't think it deserves a spot.

Chrom's chances: 40%
Want: 90% - I honestly like him and his game and would likely enjoy playing as him.

Pichu prediction: 1.86%

Muddy Mole x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Quote:

Chance: 1%
Not likely in the least. I honestly had never even thought about the character in Smash until now. The one percent is because the game is decently popular and has appeared on a Nintendo console (E-Shop) before.

I want no more 3rd parties that could infringe on the chances of Pac-Man.

Chrom:

Chance: 30%
With recent developments showing that Sakurai is caring about uniqueness over anything else (Rosalina) and the knowledge that Avatar characters, even ones with male and female choices, are possible, I think Robin is more likely.

Want: 11%
I like sword users, but I'd rather have Robin, definitely.

Pichu Prediction: 7.3%
Veteran and fairly popular, but he's one of the only characters to be completely cut. That tells us something.

Nominations: Daitoryo x5

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Quote - 2% (but if you haven't played Cave Story, pull up that 3DS eShop and get it!)
Chrom - 92% (my gut is almost certain, although I'd prefer a Chrom & Lucina duo)
predict - 4.5%

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE! Ryu still sits at 99 nominations and should be at 114. (I'm not genuinely upset, just another reminder so my three days of nominations weren't wasted. Thank you for all of your hard work on this time-consuming game of discussion).

Black Mage x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137

He originated on the PC (for free) and has since appeared on Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft consoles as a downloadable. Only Nintendo got the 3D remake, which suggests a little more closeness with Nintendo.

But realistically, he's not that iconic and not that associated with Nintendo. Putting him in the game might attract some indie gamers, but realistically, he doesn't help Nintendo's marketing or business relationships much, if at all.

Not that wanted or necessary, really.

Quote chances: 0.05%

Quote want: 2%

I don't really feel like re-rating Chrom, talking about Fire Emblem is exhausting, but here we go. Not much has changed since before, since I fully expected Marth to return. I did do my statistics. My model predicts only 16% to 42% chance of a Fire Emblem newcomer. I think this may be too conservative, since it did have one of its biggest successes recently, which probably boosts chances higher because of muhrecency. Even so, the series isn't that large, yet people talk about it as if it's a powerhouse that obviously will get a newcomer. Of course, there's always the chance that Ike will be replaced. I don't see a Fire Emblem additional slot as a given, and a fourth slot as very unlikely.

Taking that into account, I'm going to cut my previous rating, since I think I gave overall too much probability to Fire Emblem characters.

Chrom chances: 27%

Chrom want: 10%
Meh.

Pichu prediction: 2%
Dr. Mario has shown that veteran status counts a fair amount. But Pichu is less appealing, and was more decisively cut (no data in Brawl suggests he was planned).

Nominations:
Toad x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
0% Want and Chance
Sorry, Cave Story is not a Nintendo all star, or gaming all star. Its borderline indie, and that does not cut the big leagues of smash
Chrom
40% Chance
I feel his rating made sense... At the time. Chrom seemed to be the safe choice, being the Roy to Melee or the Ike to Brawl. However, the more newcomers were revealed and ironically the more people played the game, his popularity decreased. He already had the cut Roy casting a hellfire of disdain upon our lord, but he has to compete with the other main characters of his own game, or rather, their own game. Yes, Robin and Lucina both have perks to them that Chrom lacks. Lucina is female and very popular in Japan. Robin has the unique moveset potential that has triumphed in the current known newcomers, especially Rosalina, and is the favorite of the developers of the Game at Intelligent systems. However, Chrom does have the saving grace of being the hip new lord. As Fire Emblem is one of the two oddities in newcomers (the other is Pokemon), its possible his combination of safety and early game importance can save the day. However, I feel in the pecking order, both Roy and Robin oust him, and Lucina is the dark horse that dashes past him.
25% Want
Oh how the mighty have fallen. When I first played Awakening, I wanted Chrom in, if only due to the fact I outright assumed the worst for Robin and Lucina. However, now that I have seen how people have supported both of these two and given good reasons on their inclusion, faith was brought to me. The final nail in his coffin is how Robin is my most wanted newcomer, and I feel his reveal will dash Robin's chances. I would warm up to him, perhaps main him if he fancies me, but for now, he is one character is wish not to see...

Nominating Daitoryo x5

Figure I'll help the cards fall where they land...

D

Deleted member

Quote and Chrom have been added to the Directory.
If you have rated Chrom, please look back at your post for his original day!
Chance:
0%

I just dunno how to approach this. He is an indie character, a bit of a loyal one to Nintendo at that, but I am just very unsure. I know that Cave Story was influenced by Metroid but… I dunno. Quote is definitely not in a "league of his own." Such the tragedy of being an indie character, eh?
No thanks.

Chrom
Chance:
70%

Chrom and Roy to me are on equal footing. Chrom has appeared in the most recent Fire Emblem game. Awakening is by far the most popular Fire Emblem game out there and his game came just in time too. I feel as though that he seems to be one of the more likely picks for a Fire Emblem character for being the main lord in Awakening alone. When it comes to popularity, his demand is apparently less than Roy's, but he is still wanted among the Japanese fanbase.
However, there is a bit of doubt. With Marth advertising Awakening on SSB4's American website, it is possible that the game that Chrom could be promoting would just go to Marth and therefore there won't be any need for Chrom. It also doesn't help that he has to go up against both Ike and Roy, with Ike still being a rather popular choice.
With Awakening's popularity, I find that we will get 3 Fire Emblem characters. Just who the other two are is completely up to Sakurai.
I LIKE IKE! I LIKE IKE!
OK, I have never played Awakening, but I find his design to be boring. He is another blue haired person with a sword; that doesn't interest me at all. Also, from what I've heard, he can learn Aether and Quick Draw, two moves that Ike has (and I bet that he will have Counter too). So, I just find him to be just a very meh character and I find there to be far better characters to put in SSB4.

Pichu Prediction: .94%
Pichu was on Melee's roster and I found two comments in here that pretty much disregard his existence in that game. If that can't tell you how irrelevant Pichu is to Smash, then I don't know what else will.

Whoa! I won the extra nominations! Looks like we will see Bomberman soon!
Nominations:

10x

I know exactly who I want to nominate next. Hopefully, his TIME will come soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
And I Quote: I forgot to predict him.

Pros
+All those Cave Story Releases? 90% of them were Nintendo?
Cons
-Pac-Man? Any other Third Party? Quote is very under the radar.

Overall... Yeah, not likely. There's other Third Parties. Quote is too unknown to really be a good shot. 1.5%

Want: Indifferent. I've played Cave Story a ton, but all I liked was Balrog. 25%

Chrom-DEAR PLEASE GOD NO NOT FIRE EMBLEM!

Pros
+Latest Lord.
+Popular, according to people.
Cons
-MUHRECENCY. This is a pathetic arguement and doesn't help his chances.
-Ike, Robin. Other characters.
-Being a blue lord with a sword? Do we really need 3 of them?
-Chrom can become Clone Material. That's good and bad for his chances.

Overall... yes, he has some shot. But what's that on the Horizon? Ike? Roy? Robin? Other serious potentials? Yes. He has a shot, but not a big one. 19%

Want:

I hope I don't have to answer this question again. I hate Chrom, you all know why. 00.00%

Pichu-THUNDER SPAM!
It's called Mewtwo, fella. I don't expect Pichu to get in over something far more interesting. Like, Zoroark, Genesect, etc. 1.06% And for the person who tries to argue that Mewtwo doesn't hurt his chances, yes it does. In the magical world of "SLOTS ARE LIMITED!", anyone is a target.

Who Gets My Nominations Today?
Brawler610, with Bomberman X5!

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer

Likeiness: 1%

I don' know who this character is.

Chrom:

Likeliness: 30%

I think that it is extremely likely that we are going to get an Awakening character. I would say that Lucina and Robin also have 30%. They all are heavily focused on in the story. They all are reconcilable (except for Robin, but that is because of customization.) What puts Chrom over them? I would say they are evenly matched when it comes to chances.

Want: !0%

Robin would be a better choice in my opinion. I would prefer Lucina over Chrom as well.

Pichu Predictions
5%

Nominations
Robin x5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Chance: 0.5%

Shot in the Dark...

Chrom
Chance: 40%
Want: 20%

I did enjoy FE:A. The story was solid, the characters were likeable, and the protagonists were well done. Chrom is no exception. He has quite a following and popularity going into 2014, and being the next in line Lord is no exception. He has the potential to be put in over Lyn, Micaiah and even Roy.

He does have a lot going for him, such as:

+ Up to this point, the newest FE Lord has been put in Smash since Melee, and he seems to be next in line, provided another game isn't in the wings of being promoted
+ Represents the new FE game
+ Has a stage in the 3DS version (although it could just be for FE in general)
+ Despite what people think about "MUH RECENCY", in this series and Pokemon it does really matter (How could you deny it?)

He does have a few negatives as well:

- Redundancy, as in this would be the 4th "Lord with a sword." He probably wont be a clone, but there are other choices that are better.
- Other characters with more unique moveset potential (Robin as a caster, Anna as a trickster, etc.) If Sakurai is indeed going for uniqueness, then Chrom may not be the best option.
- Stiff competition

Another issue that could be brought up is Roy. While Roy has large popularity, a former veteran, and more potential to be "Luigified," (arguably) He represents a direct competitor to Chrom. I would rate them at a similar to eachother based on this. The chance of 2 FE Lords being added, such as both Chrom and Roy, is very low. however, someone like Roy and Robin are in no way similar, therefore have more potential, based on Sakurai going for uniqueness this time around.

As far as me wanting Chrom, there are many choices I would MUCH rather have over him. Roy for example, but moreso Robin. Robin is something we havent seen from FE; casters. They have an important role in the games, and Robin specifically is both a protagonist and villain (Possibly female as well.) If Sakurai is going for uniqueness this time around, which is evident, then Robin is the more logical choice.

Pichu: 5.6%

Nominations:
DLC Characters x5

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Quote:
Chances: 0%
I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai has no idea who this character is.
Want:0%
I wouldn't be surprised if I have no who this character is.

Chrom:
Chances: 50%
Best chances out of any FE newcomer. His main advantage is that I see him as the character IS would most likely recommend should it just be a single character since he's the game's main protagonists. Still, he isn't my pick for a newcomer. Additionally, this percentage include if he makes it in as a dual character along with Lucina or Robin (as we did recently with Blaziken and if he was a Hoenn Trainer pokemon).

Want: 100%
Chrom gets a bad rap around these parts and its a shame. I never let bandwagoning or casual fashion opinions affect my opinion for a character. And I've defended him a fair amount, so I've really gotten to liking the character. If you don't like him in the game that fine (and dont feel the need to respond) but dont be affected by people's posts on Gamefaqs or Miiverse. There's a reason why I mainly talk about Smash on smashboards.

Pichu: 3.56%

Nominations:
Micaiah x 5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Chance - 0.15% - I could potentially see him, if we were to get an indie character. However, as an indie character he is by his very nature obscure. As such, he is barely a blip on most people's radars. It could be questioned on how many people at Nintendo even know of him.

As a side note, I found something called Indie Brawl, essentially the equivalent of Smash Brothers for indie games. While they did plan to include a bunch of Cave Story content, and the developers were interested in putting him in, sadly they eventually decided to reject putting any content in for reasons unknown. Some suspect the console ports may have something to do with it, but it is worth noting.

Want - 50.5% - While I'm not an indie gamer by any means, the concept of some indie representation does strike my interest. Quote's a fine character for that, though he strikes me a little too similar in Mega Man in concept. Still, though, I'm not exactly rooting for any sort of indie representation, and I'd probably just be satisfied with a World of Goo stage. :p

Chrom

Chance - 25% - While I could still see him getting in, with more emphasis on unique characters than previously thought, I'm halving his chances compared to last time I rated him solo. Yeah, he could be unique, but the only ones that seem interesting hold problems. A lance is not iconic to him and having him switch around that with the Falchion would be more work than might be worth. Pairing him up with someone else will prove harder than switching weapons, especially if they are capable of swapping places between leader and follower. Anything else really does not strike me as something interesting and unique enough. Intelligent Systems might force him on it, but I'm not entirely certain if Sakurai will follow through.

Want - 20% - People always say that your first Fire Emblem Lord sticks with you. Guess I'm a counterexample. Really, as I keep on repeating, Stahl is a more interesting character to me. Those who play Awakening know that this is quite the insult. I found him drab and boring, and would happily take Anna and Roy, or at least Robin, over him.

Pichu Prediction - 3.75% - Interesting... well, despite being a former Veteran, many would not want a spot taken from Brawl + Mewtwo, and he wasn't even a part of the Forbidden Seven. Still kinda popular, for some reason though.

Nominations
Scrooge McDuck X5

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Chances - 0%
Let's be clear: no matter how good your indie game may be, there's no f*cking way you're making it into Smash. You're not Nintendo, you're not a huge gaming icon, so NO.

Want - 0%
Seriously, wtf does this character have to do with Smash?

Chrom
Chance - 33%
There's three characters that carry Fire Emblem Awakening as main protagonists: Chrom, Lucina and Robin. I'm 100% certain that we're going to get a Fire Emblem Awakening character, because even if people here hate Chrom or recency for w.e. reason, it matters when we're talking about one of the most wildly successful Fire Emblem games ever made. So as far as I know, one of these three is happening, so I give Chrom a third of a chance.

But seriously, I kind of want to talk about this: why do people here hate Chrom so much? And how many of them have actually played Awakening, or a Fire Emblem game? I seriously don't understand this. Sure, character-wise Ike is the better lord, but Roy is much more useless in his games and Marth is not all that exciting. Sure, he's no Hector, but Chrom is actually a pretty darn awesome lord unit. Is it the blue hair and sword? 'Cause that's a really stupid reason to hate someone. By that logic, let's complain about how all of the Nintendo female representatives so far are blond and have no weapons. Come on Sakurai, are you implying that only blond women can fight? And that women can't hold weapons unless they're sporting equipment or frying pans? Give us more diversity or else UNREASONABLE HATE!

Want - 30%
I really would enjoy Awakening representation, but I have much higher want for either Lucina or Robin. Particularly Robin ... I want some different weapons when it comes to Fire Emblem representation. And magic.

Prediction
Pichu - 1.56%
One of those great characters we can point to and say "Melee wasn't perfect"

Nominations
x5 Magnus, featuring completely non-blue hair, just for you!

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Chance: 0%

Chrom
Want: 50% Ehh...I'm not sure. I like Chrom as a character in his own game, but I just feel like having him in SSB4 would be boring. I'd like Robin more, since he/she has a lot of moveset potential.
Chance: 55% He's one of the main characters in fire emblem awakening, a game which has high reviews.

Renom:
X Shulk

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Quote: 2.6%
"He's from an indie game, sure, but one can make a decent argument that he's from THE indie game. In other words, Cave Story has been hugely influential amongst indie developers (ever wonder why so many recent indie games have that faux-retro aesthetic?), and both Pixel and Nicalis have a pretty tight relationship with Nintendo. And unlike indie titles like Shantae, Cave Story's seen quite a bit of success in Japan (it probably doesn't hurt that it was made in Japan either)."

Quote want: 89%
"On one hand, I really liked Cave Story and Quote's honestly really cool. On the other, his character and some of his potential abilities resemble those of Mega Man, hindering his uniqueness a bit."

Chrom: 48%
Face it, we're getting an Awakening newcomer. The unlikelihood comes from who, exactly, the newcomer will be. Sakurai may think twice about putting Chrom in, though he's the main character, he's got more than a few similarities to both Marth and Ike, similarities not shared by Robin, Lucina(mostly), or Anna.

Want: 15%
As I played Awakening, I got the impression that Chrom was really boring, all things considered. Even compared to Roy.

Pichu prediction: 4.05%

Nominate:
Isabelle x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom