• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
Working on getting things updated. Taking a bit longer than usual because of the fact that I have to tally so much today. Still, it'll be worth it!

Looks like from counting the nominations, we will already have 133 nominations total for Cranky Kong counting the 53 nominations that were for the ol Kong and this day. Thanks for the help guys! :b:
??? I only counted 46 nominations, pal. And I double checked. He's still going to wind up on top, but... meh.

Sorry if this is too much for you, Groose!
BTW, the Overhauled Yoshi concept's results are not in the original post. The Chance was 20.82% and Want was 50.87%.

EDIT: Should we do Most Underrated tomorrow?
1) Thanks for the music.
2) Thanks for the Overhauled Yoshi changes. I forgot to add it and I knew I needed to do so later... then I forgot again.
3) Most Underrated? What would make you think we'd do something like that, eh? :awesome: That's not the only one I have planned for the upcoming week!

It's a testament to the respect people have for this thread that no fights or debates have erupted from the comments about overrated characters.

Props to all, particularly Groose. This is a good thread.
Smashboards is the most intelligent fansite for Smash. The people here are the greatest; we have a real community. People sometimes perceive Smashboards as arrogant, but I don't think so. When this game launches, I plan to start a major thread for swapping Friend Codes, but more on that later.

I didn't even have to think about whether there would be flamewars. I have absolute trust in you all that something like that wouldn't happen. Though, I actually am a bit disappointed that there isn't a bit more debate going around; usually you guys do debate quite a bit without flaming, but I'm not seeing much at all here.

Sorry in advance for format issues; I'm on my 3DS. BrawlémonTwo: 95% for chance, 100% for want. I find this to be the most likely option. Most overrated? Shulk, by far. No one has managed to convince me that he's a good choice.
That's fine! I remember that before I ran the game, I used to post from there and it was a pain. I kind of have to post from a PC now, but I support posting from 3DS!

defiantly props to Groose, out of all the threads that there are, this is one of the most peaceful and friendliest threads I have ever seen,
he has done a good job of keeping peace around here
Erm... what? I've maybe given two warnings this entire game... it's the community that posts here that is good. I guess the fact that we change topics every day and never dwell does help, but the community here is excellent. Part of the reason I'm glad I pulled from GameFAQs; that environment isn't as fitting for this kind of game.

Well he does have Hades in the wings.
I'm trying to decide what day would be best to... erm... invite Hades back in. Maybe the day we rate Sheik/Impa again... I mean, how could Hades make that any uglier? :awesome:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Either someone has editted their nominations, or I'm just not counting right. :urg:
Edit: Holy crapola, Cranky Kong and Sable at the top of the nominations. This is going to be a fun fun day!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Since the day isn't quite over yet, I'd like to go ahead and throw my thoughts in on a few more characters I think are overrated, for fun if nothing else. (Click here for my top pick, Palutena.)

Chrom
In many respects Chrom is the natural pick for a new Fire Emblem character, yet he's one of (arguably) three protagonists from his own game, and he's extremely redundant to Brawl FE reps Marth and Ike. Robin easily adds more to the table than he would, and Lucina at the very least is female, which Sakurai has noted he likes seeing more of. Then there's all the other Fire Emblem characters from other games and/or the possible return of Roy, not to mention the possibility the franchise doesn't see a newcomer at all. Not to say Chrom couldn't be made unique, or that he couldn't simply steal Ike's spot and moveset, but c'mon, 70%? He's got a solid chance, sure, but there's too many plausible alternate possibilities to be rated so high.

Takamaru
Takamaru seemingly enjoys solid ratings for one reason and one reason only: we're convinced a new retro will appear in SSB4, and with some minor cameos in recent years with Nintendo Land standing out in particular, surely Takamaru is the front runner. And yet this is based on one flimsy assertion: we must have a retro. Sure, Smash has made some notable retro revivals in the past, between Ice Climbers, G&W, Pit, and R.O.B., yet all of these characters have had very successful games in the past and could all be eyed as Nintendo all-stars even without Smash. Takamaru, by contrast, is no Nintendo all-star. He's a part of Nintendo history, sure, but his game wasn't nearly as popular as previous Smash retros and his importance seems little more than a footnote in the grand scheme of things. Maybe Takamaru is the center of a long-running campaign by Nintendo to revive his character, or maybe we're just overrating him because his name (not even him, his name) was in Nintendo Land. I'm inclined to believe the latter, certainly over a 60% chance rating.

Roy
At ~40% rating each outing, Roy isn't that overrated, but for an old Melee clone that has had minimal importance to his franchise since, even that seems awfully generous. We already know that Awakening has a stage, was very successful as a game, and no less than three popular protagonists to choose from. We also have Ike, the character who bumped Roy from Brawl, who at the least has a unique moveset and two FE games instead of one. There's even a host of other Fire Emblem characters to possibly consider, though most admittedly have minor chances. Sure, there's enough Roy fans out there to possibly earn a second Smash appearance, but there's more than enough working against him to keep his chances pretty low; 40% simply seems too generous for a character who could so easily miss the mark again.

King K. Rool
This one's simple: he's a character who hasn't been important in his own franchise for years, yet here he is enjoying a whopping 75% rating despite now two viable competitors for his franchise in Dixie Kong and, more recently, Cranky Kong. DK is bigger than ever, sure, and K. Rool has been a big part of that franchise in years past with plenty of fans, but he just isn't that important nowadays. How can we possibly be so confident he'll be appearing in SSB4?

Little Mac
Alright, so I've probably rated him around the average 80+% myself. That's still likely overrating because, c'mon, that's basically saying the character is in even though all we have to work with is a boxing ring and his Wii game. There's also that old E3 "leak", but considering we finally got a fourth newcomer and it wasn't one of the leak trio, that rumor is in more doubt than ever. Would it be a shock if he missed Smash again? Yeah, yeah it would. Is he even worth the top rating among newcomers? Maybe, if we really think he's above Ridley who has been teased so much by Sakurai during SSB4 reveals. Is he worthy of an 80+% rating right now? No, I don't think he is.

There's also some more edge cases like Isaac, Shulk, and more recently Bowser Jr. that are probably higher than they should be, but I think that hits all the major overperformers. Now to start thinking about the underperformers...

Groose

Smash Champion
Blaziken: 7.5%
Blaziken is one lucky chicken. He's probably the fourth most popular starter Pokemon of all time (nothing can possibly surpass the genwun, methinks), he's got a ridiculously overpowered Mega Evolution, and he has prominent roles in spinoffs and the anime and stuff. He's also pretty much a lock if there is a Hoenn Trainer. But, NO, HOENN REMAKES ARE NOT CONFIRMED; nor is Hoenn Trainer in Smash. Blaziken has severe competition, and I'm not sure if he can overcome it. He's not quite on the level of Lucario and Mewtwo. His situation does remind me a bit of Rosalina's though, so... I'm not going to write him off entirely.

Blaziken Want: 50%
I'm known as the Gengar God. Gengar is my favorite Pokemon, and I have several of them EV trained and at level 100. Now, my friend is similar.. but with Blaziken. He'd be thrilled out of his wits if Blaziken made it... I wouldn't be too happy for myself, but I'd be satisfied just for him.

Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo Chance: 50%
Yup, I'm going to take the cop-out here. I could see this happening, and I think its the most likely scenario. However, none of the three Pokemon from Brawl not yet confirmed are truly untouchable... I'd say there is a chance that any one of them could be cut. Also, I don't see Mewtwo to be anywhere near as likely as you all think; I'd say he's PROBABLE, but not a SHOO-IN. Also, there are potential Pokemon newcomers: Meowth, a Gen VI Pokemon, Zoroark, Victini, Blaziken, Ditto, something else... Overall, I'd say the chance of this happening is a real coin flip.

Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo Want: 50%
Man, I'm high on the 50%'s today, aren't I? Part of me would be satisfied with this. I love all of the characters listed here. However... I'm a supporter of a fluid roster. We don't need to have the same characters in every game. Someone like Lucario deserves to be in Smash not every game, but every now and again, in my mind. Don't take me wrong; I love Lucario. I just don't need to see him grubbing a spot in every Smash. Speaking of grubbing spots, we have Pokemon Trainer. Love the concept and the Pokemon he brings, but... man, that's a lot of work. Do we need that every game? And Mewtwo. I think he should return, but that's not a must for me.

Newcomers are the life of the party, and this means no Pokemon newcomers. That's... not heartbreaking, but maybe a tad disappointing. That's how I feel overall with this concept; it's safe and solid, but it could be better if they toss in a good surprise or two.

Most Overrated
Let's get this out of the way: the top five are all horribly overrated. Ridley and K. Rool are fan favorites, and their want has swelled their chances. Both characters make logical sense and have no really huge counterarguments (curse the "K. Rool is owned by Rare" and "Ridley is Too BIG" idiots), but they are far away from being locks. I'd say they should both be sitting around the 50% mark. Chrom is also overrated; Fire Emblem as a whole is overrated on this board. I'm not sure we'll see a newcomer for the series; even so, I'd still have him around 50% because he does have the fortune of timing and some popularity. Palutena is a bit overrated; I do think we'll see some Kid Icarus love, but I'm not sure if it'll be her. She's also about 50%, in my eyes. Finally, we have Little Mac. He's a lot more likely than the others in the Top Five; he has so much in his favor and not a single blemish against him. I'd have him at about 70-75%... really high, but not 87% high.

Other characters I feel are overrated? Well, I touched on Roy yesterday. I don't think his popularity is nearly as strong as it's made out to be. Also, I'd say that the Mario characters are, but I felt they were pretty accurate before Rosalina's confirmation. I feel Isaac is a bit high; I don't think Golden Sun screams a playable character; he has a good shot, but he's not near probable in my eyes. Toon Zelda is overrated, too, but not by TOO much. Below that... well, characters aren't really too far off what I'd mark them as. In the past, I would say Zoroark, but I've been changing my tune about him since Rosalina's reveal.

So, the one I think is most overrated? TAKAMARU. Don't get me wrong; he's the most logical and likely of all Retro characters (even though some of his main arguments, such as the Nintendoland game, may not mean all that much). However, Retro characters are inherently unpredictable. Who could have fathomed that the ICE CLIMBERS were the idea candidates for Melee? Pit was more expected, but who's to say he'd have made the cut if it hadn't been for Sakurai's will to redesign the series? Also, a Retro representative, while highly probable (~80%), is not entirely confirmed. There are also a ton of other Retro candidates; none compare individually to Takamaru, but there are a lot of others who may catch the developers' eyes. With all of this reviewed, I'd say Takamaru has a 35% shot or so; how is he considered probable by a solid margin at 60%? I'd say he's the character who I feel is the most overrated by a solid margin.

Toad x5

Eevee: 2.30%
People made it clear today: they expect the Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo. Eevee isn't even considered, really.

DAY OVER

WELCOME TO GROOSELAND

Groose

Smash Champion
Blaziken (Pokemon)
9.27% chance
42.93% want

Who doesn't love Blaziken? He's fire type. He's fighting type. He's a badass starter. Even so, he's not expected for Smash, and his demand is respectable, but not too extreme. People seem to expect and prefer a different combination of Pokemon characters on the roster...

Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo
67.66% chance
74.11% want

WOW! INCREDIBLE! People are really behind this concept. It apparently has over a two-thirds probability of becoming a reality, and nearly a three-fourths demand; some people would rather have a newcomer or are expecting one, however.

Today we're going to be rating... Eevee. Hey, Smashboardians! I have a video for you that directly pertains to today's contest. So, please rate Eevee in chance and want... and watch the embedded video.
YEAR END SPECIAL: So, I can announce the first day's results: Chrom lead the list of overrated characters with a whopping 8 votes; Ridley, Palutena, and K. Rool tied for second with four apiece. Others who received multiple votes: Isaac, Little Mac, Snake, Shulk, Takamaru, and Pac-Man. Perhaps these are all characters due for a rerate? Anyway, it's time to move on to today's competition: the Most Underrated Character. Please state the character you feel is most underrated; although you can talk about multiple characters, please single just one out for me. Also, please don't say "Rosalina" unless if you felt like she was underrated BEFORE her confirmation; I think only DarkKry is a candidate for this.
Tomorrow... we're getting Cranky in here. Yup... Cranky Kong is coming to town! Please predict how Cranky will fare in tomorrow's game. SchAlternate wins the extra noms today. Also, please pardon the OP; I will get to updating it with your music and the results soon. Please understand.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Eevee - 0.01%
want - 0%
untitled.png

no words needed . . .
cranky - 5.47%
I have no idea where cranky will be ranked honestly, i'm only just imagining that It will be low,
most under rated character: Waddle "Bandana" dee
waddle dee has popularity, easy fit feel, distinction, moveset potential, a ready and wait moveset that just feels for smash, and literly being a more and more important character in Kirby, but all this written off because of two arguments, 1 is that Kirby doesn't need 4 slots, and 2 king dedede can just throw bandana dee, and even before Rosalina's reveal I would have put him in at least 35-40 range, now I feel him easily above 50, with the only thing holding him back being him possibly being thrown by king dedede, he needs a better rerate in my opinion

honorable mentions:
couldn't find any, sadly, or at least none that I think are major at least:ohwell:

nominations:
waddle "bandana" dee: lets get him done

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Eevee - 1%
Eevee has long been a popular Pokemon, and X/Y brought yet another Eeveelution into the fray. Problem is, Eevee is popular for its varied evolutions, not so much for Eevee itself. One could argue that Smash could introduce some sort of moveset where Eevee turns into different evolutions, but really, would Sakurai want to waste time on a character that turns into eight different variations? Further, is Eevee all that well suited for a fighting game to begin with? Personally, Eevee and its Eeveelutions have always seemed like ideal Pokeball material, and I don't think this installment has any realistic chance of being any different.
Want - 25% - In the crazy world where Eevee appears with some evolution-minded moveset, yeah, that could be pretty neat. I'd still rather have other Pokemon be playable.

Most Underrated - Lucina
I was actually struggling at first to find a solid underrated character, and then I found Lucina at a relatively measly ~15%, down from ~23% from the first rating. Seriously? We've already established Awakening has a big shot of providing a new Fire Emblem character, and Lucina is easily as popular as Chrom among fans of the game, if not even more popular. Heck, the studio has even been featuring her over Chrom post-launch, seeming to indicate she's the true star of the show despite being a secret pre-launch and that she would be the likely recommendation from them if Sakurai followed tradition and asked IS which FE characters to use. I'm not going to say she's a given by any means, but she should be about even with Chrom in chance IMO, and given she has less than a fourth of his chance right now, that's pretty ridiculously underrated.

Cranky Kong Prediction - 12.5%
Maybe I'm overshooting right now, but his playable status in Tropical Freeze along with his long history with the franchise makes him a big dark horse candidate for the possible third DK spot, and his shooting up the nominations seems to indicate others agree with that assessment.

Nominations
Sheik x5

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
-Eevee:
Chances:0%
Want:0%

-Most Underrated: Waddle Dee.

He is an important and recurrent character in the Kirby games,one of the most important Nintendo franchises ,is popular,unique and doesn't have competition...still has 25 % of chances and is losing against characters like Krystal or Dillon ,really?

-Cranky Kong Prediction:10%

-Nomination:Spear User X5

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
Eevee: 0.01%
Want: 0% I don't even care.

Cranky Kong: 6.11%

Most Underrated: Waddle Dee. Sakurai may be modest, but Waddle Dee is important to his franchise, is unique, and is popular.

x5 Bowser Jr. Waddle Dee!

Alban712

Smash Apprentice
Eevee:
Chances:0%
Want:0%

Most Underrated: Lucina. Exactly the same reasons stated by Xenigma

Cranky Kong Prediction:12,64%

Nomination: Mario Series Newcomer (Outside of Rosalina) x 5

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Eevee
Chance - 0%
Just ... no. Maybe if we were talking pokeball. But as a playable character? No.

Want - 0%
As much as I love all of the -eons, I can't approve of Eevee making it over a bunch of other pokemon. Great pokemon, but it just makes no sense in Smash.
Unless it's in a pokeball ...

Cranky Kong
Prediction - 9.7%
After Rosalina, I imagine everyone will be overrating the heck out of him. Even though the Rosalina confirmation should be boosting Dixie's chances instead ... but wtf do I know

Most underrated character:
My initial assessment is that Rhythm Monkey is stupidly underrated, especially when Karate Joe is sitting at 12% or something. But then again I'm terribly biased ...
So instead I'm going to go and say Robin is underrated as well. As people were saying in the last day, Chrom has way too much chance considering how Awakening had Lucina and the avatar character as main characters as well. And since others are giving votes to Lucina, I'm giving them to Robin because, more than the other two, s/he has the chance to bring something new to the game that truly represents what Fire Emblem is about.
If anything, all three (Chrom, Lucina and Robin) should be sitting at similar percentages.

Nominations
x5 Sheik

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Eevee
Chances: 0.1% / Want: 40%

Eevee's lack of arms (or a substitute) makes it difficult for it to fit into the Smash family. I'm not a huge fan either. Though I will admit that evolution would be a neat mechanic.

Most Underrated: Lucina
Most people fixate on Chrom and Chrom alone when it comes to Fire Emblem characters. I maintain the stance that Lucina has just as much going for her as Chrom does, and then some more.

(and I'd think it'd be funny if Chrom was most overrated and Lucina was most underrated)

x5 nomz Chrom

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Eevee's chances: 0.5%
Want: 0% - I like Eevee but I think it's a poor choice for Smash.

Most Underated: I've decided to vote for Pokemon Trainer Red.

Cranky Kong: 7.17%

Prince Sable x5

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
SchAlternate wins the extra noms today. Also, please pardon the OP; I will get to updating it with your music and the results soon. Please understand.
HOLY MACARONI! FIRST TIME I GOT EXTRA NOMS! HELL YEAH! NOW I POSSES THE ULTIMATE POWER AND I'LL BRING THE JUDGEMENT DAY UPON YOU AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA-- COUGH HACK HIC

Oh man, I shouldn't laugh so hard-- COFF

Sorry about that... got a little carried away... ... ...

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
eeveE
Chance: 1%
Eevee is really popular, and it's unique in the games for having many different evolutions...And that's about all it has going for it. Eevee would be pretty unfitting in Smash, also, due to it's lack of arms. Unless they incorporate it's evolutions into it's moveset, which in itself is a stupid idea.
Want: 0%
I'm not a big Eevee guy. I like Vaporeon and Leafeon, though.

The most underrated character Sm4sh:
This is a tough one, seeing as how I don't find many of the rated characters to be all that overrated or underrated. So for that reason, I'll jump onto the Waddle "Bandanna" Dee bandwagon. Though, to be fair, he really is pretty underrated. Many people dismiss him for either Sakurai's modesty or Kirby not needing more than 3 characters, to which I say fooey! Kirby totally deserves 4 characters, due to it being such a cash-cow franchise, as well as one of the most popular Nintendo franchises (especially in Japan)! As for Sakurai being "modest", well technically he didn't create the Bandanna Dee we all know and love (hopefully) today, so he could probably be easy on us all and include him. Also, Sakurai is looking for unique characters, which Bandanna Dee is, thanks to his spear. I don't think I have much else to say on the subject...Bandanna Dee is underrated yo.

Cranky "HE'S GONNA BE A STAR!!!" Kong prediction: 7.38%
This should be an interesting day, that's for sure.

Nominations: B-K X5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Eevee- 2 Many Evos for me....
Ok... seriously. No. I'm not doing this. No. Heck No.
Chances + Want:
00.01%; 00.00%
I hate Eevee. I really, really hate Eevee. My friends can love Eevee to death, but they let me hate this. I don't want this getting a slot ahead of Mewtwo, ahead of Zoroark, ahead of GENESECT... hell, I'll take Bidoof. Seriously. I think this thing has no chance against the almighty veterans of Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, :pichumelee: and Lucario. There are far better options than Eevee that destroy and slaughter the chances of it. Yes, it's popular, but that's it. That's not very helpful.

Smash 4: Who is Underrated?
-Most Underrated: Waddle Dee.

He is an important and recurrent character in the Kirby games,one of the most important Nintendo franchises ,is popular,unique and doesn't have competition...still has 25 % of chances and is losing against characters like Krystal or Dillon ,really?
As one of the right hands behind Chandelure in Bandana Dee, I have to agree in every single way.

Cranky Kong: Old Skool Madness:
Chances: Partially Predicting others, the thing is that he is a Dark Horse now. People will rate higher for him than I anticipated. "HE'S GONNA BE A STARRRR!" 9.7%

Nominations
Extensive Alternate Costumes X5- Blue, we got Cranky Rating coming up. Next we must push for Extensive Alternate Costumes!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Whoa, new board software.

Eevee

Eevee is boring in itself, and works by transformation. They've already got a transformation character for Pokemon. I'm guessing that having Eevee merely use attacks that the transformeons use would not be acceptable to either Sakurai or Gamefreak. Eevee doesn't help promote the latest Pokemon game unless a transformation like Sylveon actually makes an appearance. They could have the moves be the same aside from the model and elemental effects and attack properties, but that would then be boring and a lot of extra modeling for little payoff. Even just switching up the special moves would be a lot of work. And who wants to cycle through more than three transformations? Sakurai wouldn't want to waste that much effort on Eevee. Pokemon is already well-represented even without adding any new characters, and if he was going to add more slots I think it would be for someone more special.

For Pokemon Trainer it makes the most sense to spend that much effort:
1. Pokemon Trainer is the actual player character in Pokemon, so it makes sense to want to represent him
2. Swapping out pokemon is really how the player fights in the game - trainers never themselves fight. So this is the only sensible way for him to have a move set.
3. PT represents the starter pokemon without picking among the three

Why give Eevee all that effort? To promote the latest game with Sylveon? Mewtwo does that much better. To have a character with all the elementals? There are better choices for that that don't involve transformations.

Eevee chances: 0.03%
A transformation-based move set dooms Eevee just like it has always doomed Masked Link. Pokemon Trainer has the most moves of any character, and I imagine it will stay that way.

Eevee want: 10%
Eevee might be cool, but I'd know that so much effort went into making her that I'd blame any of my wanted characters that didn't make it on her.

Most underrated character:
These last two things seem like you'd just look through the ratings and see which character had the largest difference between your rating and the average rating (might be absolute or relative difference) - in this case, the one I rated highest relative to the average rating.

To be honest, I generally rate characters lower than the average, so pretty much I don't think any of the newcomers are underrated, except there might be one down in the 1-3% that should be in the 4-5% or something like that.

So then it seems to me that the veterans are the only ones that are underrated. Sakurai has confirmed Toon Link and Sonic, showing that some of the obvious choices for cuts may nonetheless return and that 3rd parties can return.

I think most of the Brawl veterans (outside the very top) are slightly underrated, but it's hard to say who is the most... So I'll say Pokemon Trainer. People gave PT lower ratings because there was still some confusion about the limitations of the 3DS - transformations are not the problem. If they're adding Rosalina, then Ice Climbers can't be thaaat much harder. The other reason was thinking that cutting PT could make room for two Pokemon newcomers... I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Cranky Kong prediction: 4.5%
Cranky's chances have been boosted from basically nothing. Taking Scrooge McDuck's shtick finally provides him with a move set. But don't get it twisted: people still realize Dixie and K Rool are the much more popular and obvious choices. I'm sure some will take the recent news too far in swaying their ratings though.

Nominations:
Toad x5

Let's smash those chances down to where they now belong...

I didn't participate in yesterday's most overrated...

Since it doesn't count, I'll do three.

Most overrated veteran: Roy

Good chance character that we've rated a shoo-in: Little Mac
His desire isn't that high in Japan, and I think the hints towards him should maybe be taken a little less seriously.

No chancer that we've rated decent chance: Saki
Sin & Punishment is going nowhere, and Starfy shows that just because a series had an AT and like 5 times as many sales as Sin and Punishment doesn't mean it's getting a playable.

For the record, I don't think Bandana Dee is underrated. Rather the opposite.

ETA I mixed those up. I don't think Bandana Dee is getting in. I'll be surprised if Kirby gets a newcomer at all.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Eevee Chance: 5.6%
Eevee Want: 30%
The most underrated is probably Professor Layton, people easily assume that all third parties have to be big icons. But not in the case of Layton, I think he has a big chance to get in as the 4th third party.
Cranky Kong Prediction: 13.56% I'd love to see where this goes!
Nominations:
x5 Extensive Alternate Costumes.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Eevee chance: 7%. Eevee has way too much competition, especially over characters like Mewtwo and Zoroark. And I don't see Eevee getting in over Lucario, Jiggs, or Pokémon Trainer. I even see Pichu in over Eevee. She is very gimmicky though. Sakurai seems to be going for unique characters.

Eevee want: 13% Could be cool, and would have a cool gimmick, but I don't really want to see her that much over other Pokémon characters like Zoroark.

Most underrated character: Waddle Dee. Waddle Dee is very deserving, very important to his series, popular, unique, and Sakurai's modesty? Well, Sakurai didn't create Bandana Dee, and will probably be willing to add him. And Kirby totally deserves 4 characters.

Cranky Kong Prediction: 27%

Noms: Pichu x5.

D

Deleted member

Wow… this feels so weird… does anyone know how to do Spoilers? Looks like I can add Ness back in my sig. Also, my icon is rather small…

Eevee has been added to this post.
Eevee
Chance:
0%

Eevee is a popular Pokemon, though I can't see it be playable at all. While it's one of the mascots for Pokemon, I can't see it get in over other Pokemon. We're in Generation VI now, other Pokemon would get in and I doubt that we will see yet another Gen I Pokemon, never mind the fact that Mewtwo is highly demanded. If I was Sakurai, I would consider that going overboard. If Jigglypuff or the Pokemon Trainer gets cut, then I see some hope for it.
Want: 7%
I have this idea for a moveset for Eevee where it uses attacks from all of its Eeveelutions. It would be rather cool! But, I dunno if I want to have Eevee in Smash. That and if the shiny variant is an alternate color, then I can make it my punching bag for the grief it has given me.

I have two characters that I feel are underrated.
1. Dixie Kong
I don't think that King K. Rool is overrated as I find Dixie Kong to be underrated. I predict a 90% chance of getting a DK newcomer and I find that King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are on equal footing. I feel as though bias for King K. Rool has led to Dixie Kong getting lower scores than him.
2. Bandana Dee
Yes. He is a Waddle Dee. BUT, I think that he is worth re-rating. I don't think that he should be underestimated. He is like Rosalina in a way as she was a character that we didn't see coming. She is becoming a staple of the Mario series as Bandana Dee is for the Kirby series. People said that Mario is complete and we don't need newcomers; Sakurai disagrees. Now people think Kirby is complete, but with Bandana Dee's popularity and his prominence in the series slowly rising (he has some role in Kirby Triple Deluxe), that might not be the case. Also, the spear power-up is practically designed for Smash; look at what he can do in Kirby's Return to Dream Land and a moveset can easily be made. I think that he deserves 50% overall. Call me crazy or biased, but I don't care. I feel as though he deserves better scores.

However, if I have to choose one, it's Bandana Dee without a doubt.

Cranky Kong Prediction: 15.51%
I sense that we will get another Rosalina…

Nominations: Decloned Ganondorf 5x
Looking at my sig, I know definitely who I am going to nominate next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Eevee

Chance - 0% - The evolution gimmick is way too much work to even consider, even if we limit it to just the original 3 evolutions. It's more work than the Trainer, for crying out loud! There's not much else for them to offer, so why bother?

Want - 40% - Meh. No, thank you. Not interested. Too much work to make it worth the space.

Most underrated? I agree that Chrom has really taken too much attention away from the others. I'll be different and say Anna, though, as I'm not quite as certain as people think Robin is.

Cranky Kong Prediction - 5.25% - Not to bad, but still quite unlikely.

Nominations
Dark Matter X5

Louie G.

Smash Hero
EEVEE:

Chance: 1.5%
Eevee is a great idea, but with Mewtwo as competition I am hesitant to give any Pokémon character more than a 5% in chance.

Want: 70%
Like I said, it's a great idea. Eeveelutions would be a very interesting mechanic which I would love to see in action.

Most Underrated Character: Waddle Dee
There are a lot of underrated characters, but not many people take Waddle Dee seriously. He is a contender for Smash 4, and if he doesn't make the cut, he's one of the most likely for Smash 5.

Cranky Kong Prediction: 4.75%
Not much has changed really. It's too late, and he has too much competition in the form of K. Rool and Dixie.

Noms:
Lyn x5
Let's go.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Eevee:

Chance: 0.2%
Red's Eevee from the manga is the only viable way, and he evolve locked into espeon... and let's not forget Red hasn't appeared for a long time in that (unless he's appeared really recently in black and white 2...). She's fairly high for a pokémon though on per popularity alone.

I would be disappointing, heck I was a little disappointed about Sylveon when she bought with her a new type... if it wasn't for Shoko-tan's cosplay I'd probably really dislike the little guy, but I can't dislike something that brings Shoko-tan so much joy.

Most Underrated Character: Slime!
It was pretty obvious I was going to say that... but generally I don't think there are many other characters that are under-rated, maybe Lucina, but certainly not by as much as Slime. And I sadly I don't think a re-rate is going to change him that much given his popularity is mostly (though not completely) Eastern... but I guess it's...

Slime to find out!

Slime*5

*I've been reading the Square Enix website recently, and the number of calls for Dragon Quest almost drowns out any other comments on the general news updates, they've got to know there's a safe market there (especially DQX, had that been released decently early it would have had next to no competition on the Wii U)... I have to imagine the western branch are calling for JPN to give them some sort of bone to bring Dragon Quest back to the west... Still not sure how much the central company listens to the outside world though...*

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Eevee

Chance- 1%
Popular Pokemon but is popular for its evolutions.

Want- 30%
If it used its evolutions, then yes!

Most underrated characters
Robin, but with Bandana Dee being a close second and Lucina being third.

Nominations
Wario Newcomer x5

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Eevee
Chance 4%

Like I said in my last post; if you're not a Brawl veteran or Mewtwo, you hardly have a chance. Simple as that.
Want 80%
I've thought about Eevee being playable before, and I honestly love the idea. If they manage to work in the evolutions, I think there's a lot of potential to make a really fun, unique character. So I really would mind at all if he happened to get in over one of the veterans.

Cranky Kong Prediction 8.5%

Most Underrated Character: Robin

There were 3 different characters that I felt were being underrated. Those characters were Goroh, Tingle, and Robin, who were all rated at around a 15% chance. I felt that all three of these were ranked much lower they deserved to be, but among those I Robin was the most underrated to me. At first I thought a 15% was somewhat reasonable, but after noticing that he was rated over 50% lower than Chrom, I had to put him on here. For a character who had almost equal importance to Chrom in Awakening, and is barely any less popular, I was very surprised to see how low he was. Not only that but he's also the far more unique character and adds someone that no other Fire Emblem character does, and yet he's still rated 54% below Chrom. And even lower than Lucina I might add.

Nominations
Jimmy T x5 (Am I still the only person nominating him? *sigh*)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Eevee
Chance: 6%
Eevee is one of the most famous and popular Pokemon of all time, due in part to it's gimmick of having the most evolutions available, all of which give it different attacks and abilities. How does this translate to Smash?
Well it doesn't really. Evolving is quite different from switching Pokemon, and Pokemon, unlike Digimon, don't revert back to their smaller unevolved forms, thus some liberties would have to be made.

This is actually the main reason I can't see Eevee ever being playable; the gimmick people see as it's lifeline gives a false representation of the game mechanics in Pokemon. Yes, there's the issue about quadraped characters, but it never stopped Ivysaur and Pikachu runs and acts more like a quadraped than a bipedal Pokemon for most it's Smash moves.

I hate Eevee. Like... a lot. It's a gimmicky Pokemon at best, and the idea of the evolution mechanic is not only a false representation of the franchise, it's also 9 characters in one. That's basically two Trainers worth of work and then some. That's entirely too much programming and work to get a character in that people only would want BECAUSE of it's ability to evolve.

If you're sticking in a normal gen 1 Pokemon, go with Meowth plz. He's less hassle and just as famous.

Most Underrated?

My vote goes for Robin.
Considering there's been a gender swap alt for Wii Fit Trainer, that Sakurai is shaking things up this time round and that Chrom scores so insanely highly despite being one of THREE protagonists, and that of said three protagonists only Robin isn't more of the same Fire Emblem Lords with Swords stuff we've seen before, Robin is actually an underrated semi likely option.

In fact of the protagonist trio Robin probably has the best options; naturally able to do magic, but can promote to any class(gender reliant) which means "Chrom can use Lances" or "Lucina is a girl at least" doesn't really give an edge to either of them over Robin who can easily do both whilst also firing lightning bolts, riding dragons or swinging axes.
Robin is pretty much capable of doing anything in FE: Awakening outside of changing their species to become a Taguel or a Manakete.

We voted them a 15.10% chance, and it is highly likely we will get a FE Awakening rep. Seems a little low for who is essentially the playable character and the character that fuels the plot in Awakening.

Cranky prediction: 12%?
Can't see him beating out Dixie or K. Rool. I don't see him as likely as Dixie and I don't think he's as wanted as K. Rool.

Nominations:
Toad X 5

Toad brigade, it's been an honour.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Eevee: 1%
Want: 50%
Cranky: 10%
Most Underrated: Clearly it's Yarne Fine then Omasta OK, OK, putting my hatred for this character aside, Lucina seems like the most underrated for now, but I expect her score to go back up during a rerate.
Chrom x 5

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Eevee:
Chances: 8%
1% for each eevee evolution.
Want: 70% (As long as Eevee's evolution goes beyond gen 1)

Most Underrated: Lucina and Robin
Considering the Chrom is considered so overrated, it makes sense that his two main competitors from his series are underrated. Both character are main protagonists from Awakening, and yet seem to be overlooked because they are not the main character in the game. First of all, Robin is just as necessary in the game as Chrom, and Lucina plays a central role to the plot. The game is literally told from Robin's POV, and Lucina matches the game's theme of one generation taking over for another. People have created an unwarranted rule that the main protagonist of a series needs to appear before any other protagonists. Which is true, but FE already has Marth. People forget that FE is a generational series and it already has a main protagonist with Marth. There is no reason that the secondary protagonists could not be factored in, considering how different of a series FE is from virtually every other series. It's closest series, Pokemon, has always included other pokemon over the would be main protagonists (the starters). Lucario over gen 4 starters. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo all made it in before any of the Kanto Starters or Johto Starters.There's also the distinct possibility of the pair up combination of any of the three awakening protagonists, which makes a whole lot of sense considering the pair up mechanic was a central mechanic to Awakening. Remember, if they were appear like that, that would count as well.

Honorable Mention: Micaiah - Continuing off from my point from yesterday, there's a reason she factors so low despite having such great credentials. First, the credentials: The only sole magic user FE main protagonist in FE history, her main protagonist (Ike) is going to be in the game, completely different moveset that's currently not in Smash, and she's a member of the previous console generation (Wii). The reason she isn't considered very highly: she's not "muh relevant." Her detractors just dont want to admit that.

Crank Kong: 10.54% Enough Rosalina hype to carry him to new heights.

Nominations: Micaiah x 5

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
New Smashboards... The new look reminds me a bit of the vBulletin look. Nice.

Eevee:
Likelihood: 0%
Nope. Eevee by itself isn't all that important. And if he becomes playable, switching into the 8 current eeveelutions sounds like a nightmare to program. Speaking of which, his moveset will have to be updated each time Game Freak gives it another new evolutions. :p

Nah....

Predicting 5.9% for Cranky Kong.

Most underrated character: Dixie Kong
I think she's just as likely as K. Rool. But just look at the difference in their ratings.

Chrom x 5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eevee:

Chance: 0% - Not happening.

Most Underrated Character: Robin

After the Rosalina reveal I actually feel that Robin has the edge over Chrom. There's really nothing holding Robin back, in fact Robin is of as great importance as Chrom (as far as I've heard) but gets the edge by having much clearer potential. Being an avatar character doesn't hold anyone back either, as seen with Villager, and the character could have alt costumes like Wii Fit Trainer to include both male and female. In my opinion it's the most likely FE newcomer.

Cranky Prediction: 14%

Nominations:
5x Chrom

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Eeevee Chance: .5%
The Evolve mechanic would be a waste.

Want: 2%
Eh, Eevee is okay

Considering Fire Emblem has so much competition, and Chrom is one of three protagonists, and Awakening characters face competition from the ever loved Roy, I consider Robin most underated. Great moveset potential, both genders, and one of the three protagonists of Awakening.

Cranky Prediciton: 10%

Extensive Alternate Costumes x2
Chrom x3

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Dixie is not underrated,K.Rool is overrated.
The problem with K.Rool is that some people think popularity=likelihood ,same with Ridley.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The problem with K.Rool is that some people think popularity=likelihood ,same with Ridley.
It seems more likely that moveset potential AND popularity are the two core factors, those are the two things Sakurai has talked about looking into when picking the roster for this game. Moveset potential seems to be the leading force though, since Rosalina was picked over Bowser Jr. Still, I dare say both Ridley and K. Rool possess both in a high degree, and the only competition the latter has is a character who stands on recency and nothing else, while the former has no competition at all but might have some troubles concerning design (not concerning size though.)

Aqua Rock X

Smash Ace
EEVEE

Chance: 1% - There is always a slight chance that Sakurai will try some kind of "Eeveelution" gimmick with him as a playable. But that is a dream at best.

Want: 40% - Generally indifferent.

Most Underrated: Matthew

Now, I'm taking another big risk but I don't understand why he so low. He is the protagonist of the most recent game in a series (somewhat) treasured worldwide. I mean, I myself believe that Isaac has a greater chance and the first protagonist himself is fine at a 50ish score. But to have a score of about 7.50%, well below some Assist Trophy characters, is just plain injustice. I think Matthew should be more at 20%-30%, personally.

Cranky Kong Prediction: 2% - The new DK character is thought to be either K.Rool or Dixie.

Nominations:
Dark Pit x5

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Eevee: 0% Not going to happen
Want: 0% Never seen Eevee as the fighting type (even when May used her). Too cute.

Underrated: Chibi Robo just got a new game as well as well as i think he's more or less as likely as Starfy was pre-decomfirmation.

Cranky: 9.7%

Groose

Smash Champion
I was planning on pushing the update back to tomorrow, but... nah. I seem to have gotten enough votes to call it a day. I'll be in to end things in an hour or three.

Dixie is not underrated,K.Rool is overrated.
And Waddle Dee, right? :awesome:

Natz~

Full of Hugs and Fire~
ugh smashboards looks even weirder today >_>
eevee: 0%
doesn't look like a possibility
want: 20%
i like eevee, i just think it'll look weird if he was playable
cranky: 3.50%
every one seems to be either for dixie or k.rool, there doesn't seem to be any room for cranky here
under rated = robin
nominations
amasterasu+5

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Eevee
Chance: 0.1%
Want: 5%
Not much that really stands out for me. A transform mechanic could be pretty cumbersome.

Cranky: 5.4%

Under rated character: Robin

Nominations:
DLC characters x5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom