• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances Returns! Day 194: "Predicting the Direct"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Satisfaction: 84% My second Mario choice after Toad, who I finally feel is out of the question. I think her gravitational abilities and Luma-driven moveset look fantastic! I anticipate playing as her, and am way more satisfied than I would have been before I saw gameplay footage of her. It was pretty much a given there would be some Mario newcomer, so it's not like she is stealing a spot from anyone else other than Mario characters. She looks great, plays great, and is a good female character that doesn't feel forced. Just no more Mario characters, please. and please no female characters that are chosen just because they are female.

I don't think we can evaluate that we are collectively bad at rating chances based on just the first confirmed newcomer since we started the game. There were just so many potential Mario newcomers, and I think some of us might have rated her based on the pre-existing chances we had given other Mario characters such as Bowser Jr. and Waluigi. The real test is how we do on the characters from unrepresented series or the characters from series where the competition isn't as fierce (and pretty much no series had as fierce competition as Mario).

As others have mentioned, Sakurai's choices seem very, very Wii-oriented (Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, the stages of Skyloft, Galaxy, Pyrosphere, City Folk, Wuhu Island). So I feel much more confident for Ghirahim in particular, and to some extent Shulk, although I think he faces extreme competition from the protagonist of Monolith's "X". (Between the two, however, I expect one or the other.)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Satisfaction - 100%: Nice to see that Rosalina hasn't been given the Assist Trophy treatment. After what was shown in 3D World, I had bigger hopes for her. It's a shame, however, that Cranky Kong was left in the dust, despite being playable in Tropical Freeze.
Guys, let's bring Cranky Kong to the top of the nominations list tomorrow!
Who is with me????!!!!!!!!!

Groose

Smash Champion
In addition, a certain boxer who remains to have confirmation seems to have higher chances. There's a boxing ring now, you guys know what that means...

Wow, I didn't think about this. Also, there's a certain Pyrosphere now, you guys know what that means...

Also: I was pretty much dead-certain of a Mario character. One of the 6-10 Newcomers was always going to come from this series, in my eyes. So, when one of them did, it doesn't necessarily hurt the chances of characters from other series, as one spot was always set aside for a Mario newcomer.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
100 % satisfied with how she looks like she would play. I won't main her but, i'd certainly try her out, she seems fun.

And this coming from someone who was indifferent to mario newcomers.

I still think you were hades groose.... unless it was.... him lol GJ (you know who you are because I knew you were the dog), if you were him and the dog.

@blue: Perhaps....

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Satisfaction: 85%

She has a very interesting move set and really has gone far above what I would have expected from a playable Rosalina.

Want: 60%

I'm not that fussed, if she was removed I wouldn't miss her that much......but I'm happy to have her in the game.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I was shocked. Not gonna lie. I was a Toad supporter, as the little guy deserves a spot in Smash. In September, I was disappointed, but I knew we were going to get a Mario Newcomer. For me personally, I didn't care. Bowser Jr. is cool. WAA is weird. Paper Mario would be nice. Rosalina, well didn't expect that.

She is unique, and she makes sense as a Mario newcomer. Popular and unique. Sakurai made the moveset good. I love the fact she's like a Olimar/Ice Climbers type character. Overall 80% Satisfaction. At first I was surprised, but after seeing her in action, she will be a great character. (Still would of preferred Toad)

Groose

Smash Champion
Guys, let's bring Cranky Kong to the top of the nominations list tomorrow!
Who is with me????!!!!!!!!!
No objections here. I do have five more to toss to Tingle first; then I'll decide between Cranky, Adam, or rerating Mario characters.

I still think you were hades groose.... unless it was.... him lol GJ (you know who you are because I knew you were the dog), if you were him and the dog.
Hades did manage to edit the OP, something only a mod or I would be able to do. Perhaps somebody contacted me with an idea to make the day more interesting, and I went along with it? Anyway, I CAN say this: I was Pyrrhon and I was as shocked as the rest of you when the Dog showed up.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Hades did manage to edit the OP, something only a mod or I would be able to do. Perhaps somebody contacted me with an idea to make the day more interesting, and I went along with it? Anyway, I CAN say this: I was Pyrrhon and I was as shocked as the rest of you when the Dog showed up.
Don't forget about amazon pandora, she was cool too. Ah so a mod was hades, I think I know who it might be.... lol

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think it's really cool that we got surprised with her. Sakurai knows how to keep us on our toes, and yet still know how to wow us.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Satisfaction: 85%

Not my most wanted Mario Newcomer.

I was pretty shocked and numbed when I saw her. I still kinda am.

Regardless, I like Rosalina as a character and her play style is great!

I'm just disappointed that other characters have taken a huge hit. Ah well....

and I was as shocked as the rest of you when the Dog showed up.
Good.

Groose

Smash Champion
Groose said:
And I was as shocked as the rest of you when the Dog showed up.
Good.
Let's just say I wasn't nearly as shocked to find out who it was.

Anyway, I must say this: we can't have every day be as off-topic as that one, but I'll try to slip one in every now and again. As for now, back to Rosalina, you dorks.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Ok... now that that's clarified...

Rosalina Reveal thoughts:

Wow, completely blindsided yet again? I'll admit it, there were some WFT flashbacks there, but in a much more positive light. Just, whoa.

Let me take a peak at what I said originally...

Chance - 17% - She's now reached contender status due to SM3DW, but she is still miles behind both Toad and Jr. Her biggest obstacle is competition, and there are several other characters besides the big two that she must worry about.

Want - 55% - I actually quite like Rosalina, but the concept of anyone besides Toad appearing as playable first just plain weirds me out too much.

Under the near completely firm belief that it was either Toad or Jr., Rosalina completely blew me away. Now that she's here, however, man, does she look good. While her play style does not look to be my liking, she looks to be an amazingly well developed character.

What's funny is that despite the semi-recent self-discovery that yes, I was actually a Toad supporter, I still have no objections. I guess I came to terms that he just wasn't happening.

As a character, she makes for a surprisingly satisfying addition. She is a memorable and loved character, certainly influential, and above all looks to play amazingly.

Hm... as for my rating:

Satisfaction - 80% - Yeah, she's up there. She has my interest, I think she makes for a nice charater, and certainly a worth addition to the game, but she was not a character I was personally hoping, vouching, or wanting. For reference, I'd have given Mega Man a 90% (Very exited, but intentionally leaving some room incase someone like Ridley or Palutena were added, in addition to being a baseline), Villager a 75% (interested in what he was like, but not exactly blown away), and WFT a ??? (Completely flabbergasted and blown away, unable to form a coherent opinion).

McDuckletts

Smash Ace
NNID
JaredandCompany
3DS FC
2105-8715-5535
Rosetta Stone: Learn Languages in Minutes! Rosalina
Satisfaction: 95%
God damn did they make her awesome. I would've expected them to limit the Luma to a single special move or something like that. But instead, Luma is one of the most important parts to Rosalina's character, which is very surprising. She might be a very tough character to master, but that only makes me even more excited to play as her.
Want: 80%
I was a Paper Mario supporter first, but Rosalina was definitely a close second. I wasn't expecting her, and that was probably for good reason. But now that she's actually in, I'm way more hyped for this game.

also bowser jr is a horrible character *hides in an old flimsy cardboard box*

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Rosalina
Satisfaction: 85% - First off, FREAKING FINALLY! We get a new newcomer at last! Second off, while kinda bummed that Paper Mario's chances may be ruimed by her, I think she's a great addition nonetheless.
Want: 95% - Only after she got confirmed, though. She seems to have proven me that she can be an interesting and fun character in mere minutes. Still, I'd like to see Little Mac/Isaac/Lip/Takamaru/Ridley sometime soon, seeing how we got a newcomer reveal after so long.

Oh, and, uh, hey guys, being quite a long time since I posted here...

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Initial want: 15%

Satisfaction: 90%

Goes to show how much power an interesting and creative playstyle can have.

Fortanono

Smash Ace
Wow. I didn't notice until today, and I was shocked. It's not like I didn't predict Rosalina in there at all. It's not like anyone didn't after SM3DW. In fact, I thought she was the most likely Mario newcomer, I just didn't think a Mario newcomer was likely. Now, on to the satisfaction.

When I first saw her, I thought, "Oh great, now Daisy's chances are even lower..." When I saw her trailer, she was awesome. I was okay with this, even if Daisy was practically impossible now. I'd say I'm 74% satisfied.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I originally gave Rosalina a 10% want as I'm not a big fan of her and I'm a supporter of Bowser Jr...but I'm more ok with it than I thought I would have been. While I am still disappointed that we didn't (and probably won't) get Junior, Rosalina looks interesting. I'm actually kind of looking forward to playing as her. Satisfaction: 55%

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
so we are not rating Nintendo dog, but instead rating the satisfaction of Rosalina? okay sounds good
Sastisfaction - 90%
let me state that right now, I did not want a Mario newcomer, I found the idea a little lacking, but what Rosalina gave was actually quite compelling, she looks beautiful in HD and in the game, along with having one heck of an interesting moveset being a combo heavy character with that luma of hers and being an item hog, along with that she seems to fit quite well with the cast makes her one heck of a good character
before want - 40%
want - 40%
I do not like this idea much, mainly because I'll feel like we got a useless newcomer.
I feel a bit stupid now after seeing her in action . . .
after want - 65%
still even if now I spark some interest and want into her, I still would rather have some newcomers take her spot, but hey she looks like a good addition
Edit:
just in case you take noms today
RoyX5

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
i think its pretty thrilling when a character i helped nominated/supported gets in O_O

I knew when she was a playable character in Super Mario 3D World that her chances skyrocketed and even more so when Galaxy stage was revealed.

and yet i gave her a 35% in chances.... but nevertheless i'm ecstatic.

Satisfaction: 100%

also....

Gives Ray a zero percent. Nominates Rosalina. :facepalm:
how immature.

I nominated her. Big whoop. Its not like you know what i'm going to rate her :rolleyes:
I just found it ironic that you would give someone like Ray a zero percent, and then nominate someone who has practically no chance of getting in.
I was made fun of and mocked because i nominated her and gave Ray zero chances.... the nerve....

Ray definitely does not compare to Rosalina's chances.... and it should be a no brainer that Mario certainly has priority over small obscure series.

though i feel bad for Toad fans.... with every release, they still have hope....

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Rosalina, I gave her a 4% in chance, shows how little I know about how to rate characters. :(

Satisfaction: 100% - I'm just glad that we finally got a newcomer, and it's one that I wanted much more than Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario.
Want: 85% - I initially gave her 75% in want and my exact words were "I'd welcome her in Smash with open arms." I'm definitely looking forward to playing her.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
well let's review about how past Jaytalks felt about her chances:
Rosalina:
Chances: 25%
I think her chances have improved, but not by much. One thing to consider is the consultation of other developers. If Sakurai goes to Nintendo EAD Tokyo (current main developers of the main Mario series), and asks them who should he add, you can bet that they would go with the one that's their 100% creation. That's what led to her inclusion in that game's that coming out. She's the developer's favorite, which is her most important trait. She still behind Bowser Jr and Paper Mario. Toad's chances are dependent on your views on how much Sakurai trolls (I generally think he does less than everyone else) and Waluigi won't be in the game because he's a fairly hated character who wasn't designed by Nintendo. That doesn't hurt his chances in who owns him (as he 's 100% Nintendo), but it's why Rosalina will be appearing as a playable in a title in the main series, while the best Waluigi can muster is being a small cameo in the Wario Ware series, even 13 years after his creation.
Want: 99%
I'm jumping on the Rosalina hype train. Rosalina is a brand new creation that to me, represents the significant work that EAD Tokyo has done to make the main mario series have some of the best games of the past generation. She also feels a bit different to me than other newcomers, as she feels newer and more of broad palette. I hope to see her in the game and she will be on my want rosters from now on.
Apparently, past jaytalks jump on the bandwagon at the right time! There's also a fair amount of Waluigi disproving there, so sorry to any wawawawawwaluigi fans.

Satisfaction:100%
I wish I had gone more daring in my prediction of the reveal for today. I love this reveal, first of all, because everything about this works. The trailer was awesome. Luma is cute. It has WTF moments (since Luma was revealed as part of the character). The rainbow road stage was there. Luma and Kirby. The inventiveness of the trailer (to see Luma dodge the Villager's net). It looks like she will be a fun character to play as.

I'm also someone who harps about the lack of female characters in Smash, so to see a great and worthy female protagonist like Rosalina make it in is just wonderful. I'm hoping she will also be our first female heavy character archetype (considering her weight in Mario Kart). She is exactly the type of character that makes this game better.

And finally, as I've said multiple times, Smash is a reflection of the previous video game generation. As Super Mario Galaxy was one of the biggest games of the last generation, it's nice to see the game get such strong representation. I hope to see more stuff from the Wii and DS games that came out after Brawl (along with a few 3DS stuff).

Want:100%
The last 1% was for Toad. With her reveal, that was the arrow in his coffin, so I feel like I can give the proper 100%. She's a great character from one of the greatest games ever made. And she feels distinctly EAD Tokyo, which has done wonders with the Mario Franchise.

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Well, then.
When I saw Rosalina's appearance in the Direct, the first thought that came to mind was: "I can't believe how few of us considered this possibility." After all, she's been showing up in the Mario spinoff games ever since her first appearance in Super Mario Galaxy, which I might add, was one of the most critically acclaimed games of the generation, enough to get a sequel on the same console. Then I noticed her moveset. Sakurai wasn't joking when he said that he would only add characters who could contribute something unique to the game moveset-wise, and Rosalina's attacks with her Lumas really showcase how complex the gameplay of Smash Bros. can really be.
Still, I can't say for sure that the chances of other Mario characters will be severely affected by her reveal, after all, even if there is a limit to the number of characters one series can have in this game, Wario and Yoshi represent their own series, which have spun off from that of the Mario Bros.

92.5%

Nominate: Are we doing nominations today? If so,
Quote x5
If not, ignore this.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
A 15% chance character was revealed. We sure suck at this.
I'll restate what I said on the Toon Link reveal, with Rosalina instead of Toon Link.
Although Rosalina ranked low in our predictions, remember the 15% has still a chance of happening. The point of any prediction is that the chance percentage can still happen. If we rank a character with 15% and they still get it, that mean 15 out 100 times they would have gotten in, and this happened to be one of the 15 rather than the other 85.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I'm pretty disappointed about the Rosalina reveal. She seems to have a unique playstyle going for her, but she looks like a blue Peach and seems to lack any personality to her other than the star she lugs around. I guess Sakurai wanted to represent the recent Mario games, but for those of us who missed out on the Wii generation it's more of a feeling of "Who the hell is this blue Peach on my screen and why does she get special treatment over older, more established characters?" Rosalina has the female part going for her, but I would have chosen Fawful, Waluigi, Toad, Bowser Jr, King Boo, Baby Mario, or heck even E. Gadd over her. All of these characters are more recognizable outside of the last four years or so than her, all of them have more personality than her in my opinion.

Put in Fawful and give the excellent Mario and Luigi RPGs some love, Fawful was the most memorable thing in those games and probably the most entertaining villain next to Bowser himself. Plenty of moveset potential with his jetpack and devices.

Put in Waluigi, he's in all the other Mario party games and why not this one? Have him be a sneaky ******* and throw bombs and stuff, again moveset potential (SSB Crusade) and he has appeared in Mario games for over a dozen years now. It's time he gets his due.

Put in Bowser Jr., who is the third best Mario villain in my book- he's had major story roles like Rosalina. If Blue Peach means this guy can't make it in then that will be a shame.

Put in Toad already for petes sake, nuff said.

Put in King Boo, there isn't a ghost or spirit character on the roster and that means good moveset potential. Boos have been in the Mario series for a long long time but don't get their "doo" outside for some reason.

Put in Baby Mario, again has appeared in more games and give him a diaper crap attack or something. Still more recognizable than Rosalina.

Put in E. Gadd, the guy has had a similar role as a caretaker/helper to Mario and Luigi, plus has appeared in many more games than Rosalina. Have him use his gadgets to make things interesting.

There, that's seven potential Mario reps that I think should have gotten in over Rosalina. Many people do like her which I respect but in Brawl there was only one new Mario rep, one new Starfox rep, one new Pokemon rep (besides Lucario who replaced Mewtwo), one new Metroid rep, and Kirby only got two new reps because both D3 and MK had huge fanbases clamoring for their inclusion plus the Kirby series was underrepresented in 64 and Melee. Zelda didn't even get any new reps, and that tells you that these character slots don't grow on trees. I'm just disappointed that the Mario rep slot was spent on Rosalina when it could very well deny entry based on precedent to one of the seven I mentioned above.

With all that said Rosalina will probably end up as my main by a stroke of fate ;-)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Agree with Jaytalks. 15% is a pretty freaking generous prediction, and in that sense the community was pretty on the ball. We also have to keep in mind Rosalina seems to be an unexpected addition, with most people being completely surprised. 15% means that this community in particular identified the possibility. That said, I don't think anyone would have expected it today.

Also, I question why Hades liked Groose's OP even though he clearly did not care at all about Groose or his well-being.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So lets see what did I wrote back in the day:

Character
Rosalina
Chance: 3% she needs to compete against the Elite Four of the Mario Series (Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi) to get to the top and finally win against the champions of each series (Ridley, King K. Rool, Palutena, Samurai Goroh / Black Shadow, Krystal, Tingle / Tetra, Chrom / Roy, Bandana Dee) is not going to happen.
Want: 30% It could be cool to play as her.

Well how wrong I was, really a shame on my prediction I should start changing a little more and think better my rates.

Anyway back to the current topic.

What can I say, I have a soft spot for technical characters and even more the ones that have two or more playable characters (Ice Climbers, Olimar, Dedede) with Marth they have been my main since Melee, so really the inclusion of Rosalina and her gameplay has been perfect for me, is another character that I could main and from the trailers it will be a blast to play as her.

Want: from the 30% back there, now is in the 100% (I don't even care for Jr. anymore, gameplay is what make games great or bad, no characters).

.n_n.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
85% Overall I was ambivalent to the character before her reveal, but looking at what Sakurai has done in making her unique it looks like she'll be a very fun and enjoyable character to play as.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Honestly, every newcomer that rolls around is a complete shock to me.
I LOVED Rosalina though, she's a very enchanting character and the orchestrated soundtrack that surrounds her completes the set for me.
My number 1 fear is that she takes away from the IC's unique 2-1 thing (even though her playstyle is a blend of IC and Olimar as someone pointed out earlier today) but I have no problems switching mains.

...At this point there are too many characters I wanna play as.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Rosalina Satisfaction - 100%
So my perspective on this is really simple: Rosalina is my little brother's favorite Nintendo character by a large margin (heck, probably his favorite video game character in general), so having her playable in Smash is a pretty big deal to him, which makes me happy by extension. It's like Nintendo just gave him an early Christmas present, and the enthusiasm is infectious. More importantly, he'll probably end up playing SSB4 for a very long time thanks to this, and by extension I'm sure to get to play a lot of online matches with him. Very nice!

Beyond that one very personal reason for liking Rosalina in SSB4? She looks to bring a very unique playstyle to Smash, which is pretty exciting by itself, and her reveal shows that Sakurai isn't afraid to dip past more obvious characters from a series in favor of those that really bring something new to the table. By extension, that could also mean he'll be decloning characters like Ganondorf to ensure each character is pulling their own weight. Maybe that means the roster ends up a little more unusual than expected, but the game ought to prove a lot more fun to play as a result.

Also, I'm just plain satisfied to see that each newcomer is still receiving a CGI trailer and special artwork. That was implied after E3, but since we've had to wait so long for another newcomer to be revealed, I must admit I was nervous that wouldn't hold. Glad to see that worry was unfounded for now at least.

I guess if I have any real problem with the reveal, it's that it took so dang long to get another newcomer reveal, and it's yet another Mario character. Is the roster going to end up being overstuffed with Mario characters? Does the slow reveal process mean a small roster or a late 2014 release, or even both? Why have we already seen five Mario characters, yet the only other franchise with multiple characters revealed is Zelda, and even then it's just two different Links? If we had to wait six months to get another newcomer, who's to say we won't have to wait til E3 2014 for more? Where in the world is Yoshi? Thankfully I'm very happy with Rosalina's reveal so I'm not too worried about such questions at the moment, but once the initial shock wears off...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whoops. Missed Hades day. Spent too long being dazed.

Rosalina Satisfaction: 55%
I'm really beginning to despise Mario Princesses. So the secret character in 3D World gets in over the default character in 3D world whilst using her version of Toad(Luma) in a far more hands on playable way than the abusive Peach ever will, whilst still not using moves from Super Princess Peach. You best believe I'm not satisfied about this bit.

Irritation about Toad aside how in the hell did she beat out the other more popular Mario requests? Nevermind Toad, Rosalina is now more important than Bowser Jr. in the Mario series and the fan support for Paper Mario and Waluigi obviously equated to a big fat nothing. I like her better than Jr. and Paper but wow.

As for Rosalina on her own terms; she looks like she'll be a decent Smasher if not a little broken; deflecting FLUDD, good gimp game, having an insanely long reach thanks to Luma, capable of blocking attacks with Luma, setting up combo co-op attacks, etc.
Her model currently looks errr...well the model looks good but I'm not sold on the animations yet as some look a little unfinished(that back kick for example).

The animated trailer however did look really good, very nicely polished, but made me wish she'd appeared after the inevitable reveals of Yoshi and Wario so they'd appeared too. Yep, a minor issue, but it would of been neat. Kirby hi-fiving Luma was pretty cute though and Rosalina zipping past Kirby was pretty funny.

I guess I should be grateful that we got another Mario character to begin with, but I'm just still pretty damn stunned she's the choice. At least she's a newcomer finally.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
GROOSE:
Two things... we didn't rate Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer on satisfaction. Maybe we can do those on days when there's not a re-rate or concept?

The other is that I think we should've been doing nominations today. Mine would've been 5x Pichu.

Edited to add from later post:
Can we still predict Nintendog? I guess I didn't before, and you usually take predictions as long as the next day hasn't started...

Nintendog: 0.34%
Being a puppy is not a promising start for a fighter. But a realistic puppy that isn't playable, and is also a background element and an AT already? Who is going to be giving this anything but a sliver?

Rosalina confirmation!

Let's see what I said before...
Popularity: She's somewhat popular. I think she's a bit more popular among the non-hardcore crowd. I know some people who really liked her a lot in Galaxy and Mario Kart, but they don't get into Smash games that much. Even so, she's higher up on the list, but still out of the top tiers.
The differing reactions in different places makes this seem even more true.
Relevancy: She's a major player in the Galaxy games, of course, and she's been in the Mario Kart games (although that matters less). Her recent reveal for SM3DW helps though. I don't think it's too late to matter, at all. This was only revealed less than two weeks before SM3DW launches. She was not just added now, she was probably already planned for the game before E3. Sakurai has had plenty of time to know about that. Rosalina seems more likely to become a permanent fixture in the Mario games, and she allows Nintendo to add a female character to the series who's less of a blank slate than Daisy.
I'm glad I bumped her up significantly due to SM3DW... Just wish I had bumped her even more.
Design: She has a wand and could probably make use of Lumas in her move set. On the whole, her canon moves are pretty thin though. Sakurai could fill it out, but she's no Olimar or Mega Man as far as uniqueness.
Whoops.
Roster and Competition: Her biggest competition is Bowser Jr. The model predicts 0.6 to 1.2 additional slots for the Mario series. I would go more on the low end of that range, considering Mario was cut from 5 to 4 from Melee to Brawl (granted, Dr. Mario made sense to cut, but every other series with cuts got replacements). The rapid pace of Mario series reveals is potentially suggestive of more Mario characters, then again it just might be Sakurai not feeling the need to beat around the bush this time (like anyone doubted Luigi would get in b/c he wasn't revealed before Brawl launched). I think it's realistic for there to be a new rep, although I wouldn't be too surprised if there wasn't. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be room for more than one Mario newcomer. Toad would've been a bigger worry for her if not for him still being in Peach's move set. And to be honest, Toad's canon move set potential is pretty bad (although they could fill it in with made up stuff and mushroom-based attacks, etc.).
Looks like I should've gone more on the high side. I was considering a Mario newcomer more like a 60-70% chance. Now I'm thinking a 6th slot for Mario is not out of the question (but not too likely either).
Rosalina chances: 13.5%
Rosalina want: 65%
I like the Mario series and think it deserves another rep. I think Toad deserves it more, but aside from that I don't really care about Rosalina vs. Bowser Jr, Waluigi or Paper Mario.
Yeah, not the most accurate. But a one in seven chance is far from nothing. Even if there had been more hints or we had had more time to let SM3DW sink in, I still wouldn't have considered her more likely than not. But I might've put her more around 25%-40%.

Playing Super Mario 3D World, and I have to say: it's a great game. And Rosalina isn't just a hidden character, there is significant Mario Galaxy content (music, stages that make references, etc.). Rosalina is actually quite fun to play as, and I've become more fond of her as a result.

Rosalina satisfaction: 95%
I put her at 65% want and said I didn't care that much about Bowser Jr vs. Waluigi vs. Paper Mario. I've changed my mind. I'm glad it's her first. She gives more female representation, her move set looks cool, and I've soured somewhat on Waluigi and Paper Mario. I'm happy Mario is getting a newcomer. Mario is the highest selling video game series, one of the best video game series, and one of my favorite video game series. It should have more than four slots.

That said, I don't feel she should get 100% since she's not quite in my top tier of wanted newcomers.

Random couple other thoughts:
-I wonder how big she is? She looks kinda big... I'd be interested to see how she compares to some of the less cartoony characters like Samus or Marth just standing up.
-Similarly, I wonder how much she'll weigh. She's a heavy character in Mario Kart, so I'm gonna assume she'll be heavier than Mario, Luigi and Peach. Dunno about her vs. Yoshi or Wario. Definitely lighter than Bowser though.
-Do different colored Lumas do anything different, or is it merely appearance?
-I think she's much more like Olimar than the Ice Climbers. It looks like she can only have one Luma, but it also doesn't look like the Luma's really do much independently. We'll see more about how Rosalina's moves work, of course, but it looks like to me that the Luma can move away from Rosalina and then attacks when she does. She doesn't look nearly as difficult to use as Olimar though. I'd say she looks less gimmicky than Olimar or Ice Climbers, and while I don't really care for playing as either of those two, I'm excited to try Rosalina out.

I was made fun of and mocked because i nominated her and gave Ray zero chances.... the nerve....

Ray definitely does not compare to Rosalina chances.... and it should be a no brainer that Mario certainly has priority over small obscure series.
Not to pile on, but... even if you take Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 and say Rosalina's "sales" are just one tenth of those two games, she'd still be a bigger character than the entire Custom Robo series. Which is not even giving her enough credit anyway. But yeah, I stand by giving Ray a tiny score.

I wish I had taken Rosalina's SM3DW appearance a little more seriously. I thought it bumped her up, but not above Bowser Jr, considering he's still gotten more appearances than Rosalina (even lately). I guess the Mario premier titles like Galaxy and 3D World might count for more than the New Super Mario Bros series, which while fun and high-selling, doesn't inspire nearly so much critical adulation.
Concerning Other Characters:
I put our odds at getting one Mario Newcomer at 90%; it's become far more important to Nintendo from the Wii days onwards and it was pretty obvious to me that we were getting a character. However, I'd say our chance of getting a second is low; somewhere from 20%-40%, maybe? The fact that all of them are revealed already makes me suspicious for one more hidden one, but I don't think it will crowd things TOO much. With this in mind, Jr. is down to about 20%, Wa down to about 10%, and Paper Mario 7.5%? I dunno. Honestly, I could see Waluigi go without a mention, Bowser Jr. become an AT, and Paper Mario get a stage. That seems plausible.
Interestingly, you're not far off from what my model thinks.

It put the number of Mario newcomers at about 0.6 to 1.2... now that we've confirmed that it's going up to 5, I'd say that the 20% chance of another Mario newcomer is about right.
Also: I was pretty much dead-certain of a Mario character. One of the 6-10 Newcomers was always going to come from this series, in my eyes. So, when one of them did, it doesn't necessarily hurt the chances of characters from other series, as one spot was always set aside for a Mario newcomer.
To be a little clearer: For you it doesn't hurt them, because you had factored in a Mario newcomer. For other people who didn't think a Mario newcomer was likely, they'll probably need to rethink their scores...

As far as my thoughts about how it affects ratings going forward...

Mario series:
I think she hurts all of the other possible Mario newcomers.
Bowser Jr: I thought he was the most likely Mario newcomer. He might still be in (in which case, we can't know whether Sakurai actually put him in second or not), but I'm gonna say I consider a 6th slot less likely than I had considered a 5th slot, so his score has to go down.
Toad: Additional images of Peach with Toad + Rosalina reveal. At this point, I'm thinking that Sakurai is probably not trolling with Toad. The things one would've thought were good indicators (Galaxy getting a stage, Rosalina being playable in SM3DW), were. I'm going to assume the converse is true as well. If he comes up for a re-rate, I'm gonna be putting him down in the gutter.
Waluigi: This isn't entirely rational, but seeing Rosalina's trailer and her getting confirmed, just makes me think that Waluigi doesn't really deserve it. Sakurai might put him in for a zany choice, and he's lucky Toad is basically out at this point since that reduces the damage.
Paper Mario: Toon Link is in, so I can't rule it out, but I feel like multiple Marios isn't terribly likely. At this point, I'm thinking Bowser Jr and Waluigi are the frontrunners for the 6th slot.
Other Mario characters: Yeah, I don't think any of them are happening. But in particular, I think we can safely say that Daisy is not getting in.

Other series:
-What I said up by Toad is the main takeaway. Relevancy probably matters a little more than we thought. Maybe not to the point where Sakurai is going to just put in whoever was in the most recent game in a series, but newer characters definitely have a shot, and more current series may be getting reps.
-Big series can get more reps. It makes me even more sure that we're getting a Donkey Kong newcomer. I already thought an additional slot for Pokemon was likely, but this also makes me think that perhaps a Zelda newcomer is more likely than I thought previously.
-I don't think she hurts Palutena as much as other people think. Palutena does have a distinct style, she would attack with a staff and doesn't need a helper.
-I agree that Starfy is hurt by this. Looking back, it looks kinda ridiculous that I rated him slightly higher than Rosalina. I was swayed by the other raters. If he comes up again, I'll be giving him less than a third the rating.

-Random other thought: Ever notice that Nintendo has like, no playable black characters at all?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I've already turned in mine when Rosalina got confirmed.
I really should turn in mine too, but I'm desperately trying to cling unto it. Like a 90 year old man not wanting to give up on his driving license.

Anyways:

Satisfaction: 60% - On one hand she really isn't my kind of character, but on another hand she's so much more unique than I'd have imagined. I won't play her, but at least she really stands out.

Want: 10% - I've never really gotten how Rosalina got so popular. She wasn't anything special in Galaxy, but ever since then people AND Nintendo have gone nuts about her. I didn't really want a Mario newcomer, but if anyone I'd have liked Bowser Jr. the most. But what's done is done, I don't really care too much by the end of the day, and I'm happy to see how excited many people are about her.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Very disappointed with Rosalina.

Satisfaction: 20%. No stockholm syndrome with me.
Want: 5%. Rosalina is one of my most disliked Mario characters. Exceedingly useless.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I initially gave her a 35% chance rating, I felt she was climbing that ladder but it still took me by surprise just how fast she reached it. I was very surprised by her reveal, I thought it was a Kirby and Mario Kart crossover. Anyway the way she was presented was too cool. That moveset is awesome!

Want: 90%
Before my rating was 65% but that moveset bumps my want rating.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'll start with a story...
The Nintendo Direct was going to start at 7:30 pm local time. I was unfortunately a bit busy and only managed to get in front pf my computer about 20 minutes into the Direct.... and BAM! I see Rosalina fighting on the Galaxy stage. My initial reaction: Wow.

Now I'll quote my post on the day Rosalina was rated.
Rosalina:
Likelihood: 18%
Despite the flurry of announcements relating to her, she's still behind Toad, Bowser Jr. and probably Paper Mario.

Want: 60%
A Mario newcomer is always a plus in my book.
So, you can see that I am pretty happy with her reveal.

So, Satisfaction: 100%
You bet I am. Sakurai by far surpassed what I could have imagined about her moveset. I'll probably use her as a secondary.

Want: 100%
Deep down, I'm a Mario fan. I really, really wanted to see a Mario newcomer in this game. Toad, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Waluigi, all had notable amounts of popularity... so I thought one of them would get in for sure, especially when we were shown all four Mario veterans so quickly. I can't say that I'm sad that I did not get any of them as Sakurai surpassed my expectations with Rosalina. I still have a soft spot for Toad and Bowser Jr., and hope that they will join the fray someday. It has been quite a while since I have been hyped about a newcomer. The E3 newcomers were great but none of them were really high on my want list, unlike Rosalina.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Satisfaction? 99.99%

Why not 100%? Because she might have lowered Paper Mario's chances. Though think he still can come back, representing the Paper Mario serie.

I don't remember the Want percentage I gave her last time ut it should have been something like 85%. I am a big fan of the Mario serie and a lack of newcomer would have been disappointing. Though, once again I wanted Paper Mario more.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
She looks so unique with her Luma moveset. I saw some guys saying that she would be too much like Peach, but I'm glad that they are wrong.

Want: 65%
Hmm, for a Mario newcomer, she would be my third option (after Jr. and Paper Mario), but she gets some points for being a female (which the Smash series needs) and having this cute story.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Never had a previous speculation, but I'll post how I'm feeling about it now.

It may be part of the Stockholm Syndrome Sakurai has been lulling us into, but at the very least he managed to make a product that was unique, polished, and fresh. She's a welcome addition, and probably the only Mario rep I would've accepted, because I couldn't handle any of the others (toad, waluigi, jr, paper mario) being in without being annoyed.

Want: 50%
That said, I still didn't really want another Mario rep. The series already had 4, not including the sub reps like DK and the very possible Wario and Yoshi. True, they aren't marked with the Mario logo, but honestly I don't think these would have existed without him, and very much are a part of his universe in some way. As well, as amazing and unique a play style she has, it's not like it;s exclusive to her. Could've been Snake commanding a Drone, or any other zany idea for a two in one character. It didn't have to be her, and that's why I'm not backing her 100%, though I do love her play style. Still will probably end up subbing or maining her because I play Carl, Eddie, Ms. Fortune, Relius, and just about any true shadow mechanic character. And no, Ice climbers and Olimar do not fall in this category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom