• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andimidna

Smash Master
If I had never seen any of your posts I would have thought you were just joking... *sigh*
Palutena: Negative Infinity. Just no. Worse newcomer by a huge *** long-shot. Hell, Potato would be far better character.
[collapse=Palutena vs Potato]
VS

Well I think you're alone there, buddy.[/collapse]
Potato would be so OP
But seriously, you've never given any reason for disliking Palutena. I think that one day you looked at a list of characters and just pointed at a few and decided to hate them. There's no reason to hate her. She deserved to be in. Looks like a good moveset. Good model. It's a funny character with a great design. Cute and lovable. So how did you start to hate her? What went wrong? It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
If I had never seen any of your posts I would have thought you were just joking... *sigh*

[collapse=Palutena vs Potato]
VS

Well I think you're alone there, buddy.[/collapse]
Potato would be so OP
But seriously, you've never given any reason for disliking Palutena. I think that one day you looked at a list of characters and just pointed at a few and decided to hate them. There's no reason to hate her. She deserved to be in. Looks like a good moveset. Good model. It's a funny character with a great design. Cute and lovable. So how did you start to hate her? What went wrong? It doesn't make any sense.
While I can't speak for KingShadow's own apparent hatred of Palutena, I do have an idea why the general amount of detractors don't care for her. You may see her as an iconic character, but I see her as another excuse for Sakurai to shoehorn in YET MORE KI:U content. I don't think that a barely successful reboot - one that probably won't be leading into any sequels for a while - is really worth all of this content, let alone another character, especially when major franchises like Donkey Kong, which have been all but dormant for the longest time, but have recently made a huge comeback, has only gotten returning content. Kid Icarus, in the grand scheme of things, is one of the more minor franchises. And all of this is coming from someone who played Uprising, loved Uprising to pieces, and even tried to collect some of the AR cards.

There's one point of view, but I'm not sure if this is the mentality that KingShadow follows, or if he just flat out hates Palutena.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, I'd prefer it to not criticize other's opinions, not matter how bad or flawed, they may seem.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Going from most hyped to least hyped because Wynaut?
Pac-Man: As Vegeta would say it, over 9000! Seriously tho, dat design, dat moveset, just yes. I might just buy this game because of Pac ALONE.
Miis: 80%. I really like how they were handled. Looks pretty cool.
Palutena: Negative Infinity. Just no. Worse newcomer by a huge *** long-shot. Hell, Potato would be far better character.
I expected a bit more of thought in the people how dislike Palutena, you are in your right to not like a character, like I am in mine not liking another, but hating on a character just for the sake of doing it, it's not something I like to see and something I avoid to do.

So even if a character that I dislike made to the game I am not going to throw my hate in that way, you might not be offending people but it's better to be respectful for others that like her.

You can dislike anything you want, trying to be more polite don't invalid your point, or at least back up your claims (in an intelligent way) would make you less antagonic, and not look so biased. Sigh

While I can't speak for KingShadow's own apparent hatred of Palutena, I do have an idea why the general amount of detractors don't care for her. You may see her as an iconic character, but I see her as another excuse for Sakurai to shoehorn in YET MORE KI:U content. I don't think that a barely successful reboot - one that probably won't be leading into any sequels for a while - is really worth all of this content, let alone another character, especially when major franchises like Donkey Kong, which have been all but dormant for the longest time, but have recently made a huge comeback, has only gotten returning content. Kid Icarus, in the grand scheme of things, is one of the more minor franchises. And all of this is coming from someone who played Uprising, loved Uprising to pieces, and even tried to collect some of the AR cards.

There's one point of view, but I'm not sure if this is the mentality that KingShadow follows, or if he just flat out hates Palutena.
It's something bad if Sakurai likes to represent the franchises he is more familiar with? he said he doesn't want to do another Kid Icarus, smash appears to be the perfect oportunity to please those fans.
At least I have never seen people complaining for the HUGE inspiration Smash takes from the Kirby series. Donkey Kong dormant? there is at least ONE game for Donkey in every console.
If it is not broken don't try to fix it. Why take time reworking old concepts to try making them look new when the old formula works
I don't see series by numbers but I see characters for potencial, this is what some people don't seem to understand ( I am not speaking about you by the way)

Smash will always have inspiration from the games Sakurai works on, it's part of his style and part why people like his games

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Mii Fighter- 38%
Gets points for having effort put into them rather than just being another character with random items. Loses points for having too much effort put into them. I didn't really want any more generic characters, let alone generic characters that took a lot of production effort.
Palutena- 97%
Palutena's awesome. I'm pumped that she is in. While some casuals don't know much about her, she was of the most requested character both on these boards and in Japan. I fear people are letting the leak and the inevitably of her reveal affect their satisfaction, which is fair but unfortunate.
I thought her trailer was well done for the most part (dat fight scene), but I do agree that her moveset was presented a bit disorganized. While I don't mind her expressions that much (very graceful), I do hope a little bit more work is done to show her playful side before release. I'll shave 3% based on presentation, but I'm betting they'll earn themselves back once we learn more about her full moveset. She's definitely one of the better reveals based on the character, rather than the moveset or other factors, yet along with Little Mac and the third parties.
Pac-Man- 85%
Pac-Man looks like he'll fit in great. Not necessarily super excited to play as him myself, but he is a gaming legend well worthy of batting Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man. I'm really happy for those who did want him.

Just how I'm feeling right now, this could all change next time we do this :p

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
It's something bad if Sakurai likes to represent the franchises he is more familiar with? he said he doesn't want to do another Kid Icarus, smash appears to be the perfect oportunity to please those fans.
At least I have never seen people complaining for the HUGE inspiration Smash takes from the Kirby series. Donkey Kong dormant? there is at least ONE game for Donkey in every console.
If it is not broken don't try to fix it. Why take time reworking old concepts to try making them look new when the old formula works
I don't see series by numbers but I see characters for potencial, this is what some people don't seem to understand ( I am not speaking about you by the way)

Smash will always have inspiration from the games Sakurai works on, it's part of his style and part why people like his games
First of all, I'm not trying to argue anything. I don't have a grudge against Palutena. I rated my satisfaction with her as an 80, in case you didn't see that. I wrote what I did because @ andimidna andimidna wanted KingShadow to give a solid reason for hating Palutena. AND WHILE I DON'T HATE HER (Heaven forbid I do), I know from personal experience just one reason someone may not take a liking to her being in Smash Bros.

Perhaps the term I wanted wasn't "dormant". I guess I should've said "DK's last main title for the longest time was DK64, and up until the release of Returns late into the Wii's life, the only attention DK was getting was from studios who were only interested in making lackluster spinoffs and butchering the DKC universe." I only brought up DK's unfortunate state for the past however many years because of how many consider DKCR to be the revival of the series. Much like how Uprising was the revival of Kid Icarus. And, you have to admit, Palutena would be a bit of a pipe dream without a revival.

And I do agree that Smash Bros will always carry over concepts from games Sakurai has worked on. And a lot of them, I love. The All-Star Rest Area in Melee was so cool, and Smash Run really gets me in the nostalgia. But I'm talking about characters; the reason Smash exists. People generally play Smash as a celebration of all of Nintendo's characters and locales from throughout the years. But dumping a ton of KI and Kirby content, simply because it's natural for Sakurai to do, is taking the easy way out. What of the people who want to revisit childhood favorites and get fan service from other franchises? That's all I'm saying there, and the reason I bring up Donkey Kong. All the Smash Run enemies and tons of more items and new character and stages from KI are awesome for a fan, like me. But, on the flip side of things, as a DK fan, I'm also curious as to why that's all we seem to see.

Heck, maybe every series is getting as much devotion as Kid Icarus. That'd be awesome! We just don't know it yet, I guess.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
People complaining about Palutena, a popular character from a popular Nintendo game (series) being in that the creator of both games had a hand in, while giving Miis and Pac-Man nearly top marks? There's so many things I want to say to this, but I don't want to start any wars, so I'll just handle these things the way I normally do.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
People complaining about Palutena, a popular character from a popular Nintendo game (series) being in that the creator of both games had a hand in, while giving Miis and Pac-Man nearly top marks? There's so many things I want to say to this, but I don't want to start any wars, so I'll just handle these things the way I normally do.
Blame it on Palutena's lackluster presentation. We've already seen the Kid Icarus characters in anime style, so most people were looking forward to seeing them animated in HD 3D; Palutena was way too serious in her trailer compared to her game self; and Palutena's attacks don't seem to mesh together into a cohesive playstyle from what we've seen.

This is coming from a Palutena supporter; she could've been presented better.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Personally, I have to agree with @ Pacack Pacack on this one.

I find it really odd that the big guns (easily Pac-Man without bias) wasn't shown at the main event. Palutena's showing was not only a little out of place but a little unfaithful to her actual form and personality. The Tuna was easily the smallest impacting newcomer of the E3 2014 trio yet she managed to land the big shocker spot. Pac-Man's reveal felt uneventful; we got a little notice, but had to wait over an hour for trailer footage.

Nonetheless, she's a fantastic addition to the roster.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I agree that it stinks of favoritism... If Kid Icarus gets a new rep, while Donkey Kong is the 5th biggest series in the game (only Mario, Pokemon, Wii/Mii stuff and Zelda have more sales) and is stuck at the same number of reps.

Mario: >500 million in sales
Pokemon: ~220 million in game sales (not including X&Y)
Wii/Mii: ~150 million in sales
Zelda: ~71 million in sales (not including ALBW or Wind Waker HD)
Donkey Kong: ~70 million in sales
Kid Icarus: ~3 million in sales

Yes, character potential counts too... but I really don't see how K Rool lacks in that department. Dixie Kong... maybe. Certainly she's no worse than Chrom.

I do kinda like Palutena though, so I'm ok with it. I will complain about Mii Fighters x3 long before I complain about the choice to include Palutena. But I can definitely see how some people could be annoyed that Kid Icarus is getting so much favoritism.

But we have yet to see whether there will be more newcomers than the Gematsu 11 + Rosalina.

ETA: Weird, my tildes weren't showing up right... ~

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Personally, I have to agree with @ Pacack Pacack on this one.

I find it really odd that the big guns (easily Pac-Man without bias) wasn't shown at the main event. Palutena's showing was not only a little out of place but a little unfaithful to her actual form and personality. The Tuna was easily the smallest impacting newcomer of the E3 2014 trio yet she managed to land the big shocker spot. Pac-Man's reveal felt uneventful; we got a little notice, but had to wait over an hour for trailer footage.

Nonetheless, she's a fantastic addition to the roster.
If I was in charge of E3, I would've presented Miis and Pac-Man at the digital event, and Palutena at the end of the invitational. That just makes more sense to me.

Of course, I still think she's deserving, but I was hoping she'd bring some of her own trollish charm and that we'd get to see her in 3D.

Burigu

Smash Ace
First of all, I'm not trying to argue anything. I don't have a grudge against Palutena. I rated my satisfaction with her as an 80, in case you didn't see that. I wrote what I did because @ andimidna andimidna wanted KingShadow to give a solid reason for hating Palutena. AND WHILE I DON'T HATE HER (Heaven forbid I do), I know from personal experience just one reason someone may not take a liking to her being in Smash Bros.

Perhaps the term I wanted wasn't "dormant". I guess I should've said "DK's last main title for the longest time was DK64, and up until the release of Returns late into the Wii's life, the only attention DK was getting was from studios who were only interested in making lackluster spinoffs and butchering the DKC universe." I only brought up DK's unfortunate state for the past however many years because of how many consider DKCR to be the revival of the series. Much like how Uprising was the revival of Kid Icarus. And, you have to admit, Palutena would be a bit of a pipe dream without a revival.

And I do agree that Smash Bros will always carry over concepts from games Sakurai has worked on. And a lot of them, I love. The All-Star Rest Area in Melee was so cool, and Smash Run really gets me in the nostalgia. But I'm talking about characters; the reason Smash exists. People generally play Smash as a celebration of all of Nintendo's characters and locales from throughout the years. But dumping a ton of KI and Kirby content, simply because it's natural for Sakurai to do, is taking the easy way out. What of the people who want to revisit childhood favorites and get fan service from other franchises? That's all I'm saying there, and the reason I bring up Donkey Kong. All the Smash Run enemies and tons of more items and new character and stages from KI are awesome for a fan, like me. But, on the flip side of things, as a DK fan, I'm also curious as to why that's all we seem to see.

Heck, maybe every series is getting as much devotion as Kid Icarus. That'd be awesome! We just don't know it yet, I guess.
Peace my friend I am not arguing with you either only interchanging opinions that is all, maybe my reply to the other user in the same post give you that impresion, sorry about that.

I am kind of different I consider myself a Nintendo fan so I am mostly happy with what I get in the game, until this game in which I actively supported Palutena in the other games I have never routed for anyone in particular, I am that kind of person that trust that the developers decision. I get Palutena the character I really wanted, everycharacter included now for my are a nice addition.

The game is not out yet so there are still somethings we might not now, I congratulate you I like inteligent discusions and points like yours

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't get how Pac-Man not being revealed at a certain time affects Palutena hype.
The anime style was epic, why complain? Did that fight really not excite you? Really?
Her moves showed off the extra customizability, and leaves a sense of mystery as we don't know exactly what her default moves will be. Which means we get to speculate. And just look at the choices, damn those look fantastic and powerful!!!
The music was great too. I especially loved it when she appeared to not save Pit.
Miis barely had a trailer, and Pac-Man was announced before his trailer. That is not hype.
Generally speaking, that is, having a full cohesive trailer leading to a reveal and gameplay of a complete, and positive addition leads to hype. And not having that... well, then things get shaky. But a lackluster reveal for character A should affect hype for character A and not character B out of jealousy. That's pretty shallow reasoning, honestly.
If I was in charge of E3, I would've presented Miis and Pac-Man at the digital event, and Palutena at the end of the invitational. That just makes more sense to me.

Of course, I still think she's deserving, but I was hoping she'd bring some of her own trollish charm and that we'd get to see her in 3D.
Pac-Man may be liked here, but he's usually hated even more than Miis elsewhere. Pac-Man and Miis have been the 2 most disrespected characters throughout Smash Speculation, if they were revealed, and nobody else was, ****storms. ****storms everywhere. Instead of getting people excited for the game, many would have just been raging. I mean, just look below Nintendo's tweet that Pac-Man is in. *sigh* lots of hate replies. I'm glad he's liked here, but it's not the same everywhere. And revealing them together with nobody else would have been terrible. Sakurai deserves what he wants, honestly. Even if what he wants is... *shudders* Miis...

I won't respond here because it's all opinion based.

But here I have to comment.

Just...really?

This place is one of the few places I've ever seen that Pac-Man is disliked at all. Most everywhere else, he's welcomed with open arms. The only place that would've really been raging would be this place. And even most of the haters here have conformed after seeing how Pac-Man was done. It would've gone over a whole lot better than you're implying.

At the very least, I would've revealed Pac-Man at the end of the thousands-of-people-invitational instead of in a super secret press conference with 50 or so people. But I think Palutena would've gotten a better reaction among the competitive smash community than Pac-Man.
Do you want me to give you proof of what I said? Because I don't see how that's possible. I've had to defend him countless times on other sites, but never here. The responses to him I've seen on Miiverse, Youtube, and Twitter have been mostly negative, and pretty equal to Miis. His satisfaction here looks to be about 80%, equal to Palutena. Many, many times people have said "omg pac-man, miis, ridley, and goku are such dumb requests" like they think those characters go together at all. He's disliked by what people may call "casuals", and not so loved by other gamers either. He's not the new Mega Man... sorry.

I know this isn't something easy to prove, but check this link if you want:
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/476547936881369088
This just made me sad. Especially because it was Nintendo's tweet.

I don't know where else to look to get reactions, honestly. But it was pretty widely known that Pac-Man in Miis were in the same department of "expected but not wanted"

I'm glad to see people changing their minds on him, but this wasn't what I wanted to talk about. So I added it on to my previous post.

I don't understand why people complain about Sakurai bias for Palutena.

I mean we all asked for her, then he puts her in and people complain about Sakurai bias?
What?
So... did you rate yet? ;)

Last edited:

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
Peace my friend I am not arguing with you either only interchanging opinions that is all, maybe my reply to the other user in the same post give you that impresion, sorry about that.

I am kind of different I consider myself a Nintendo fan so I am mostly happy with what I get in the game, until this game in which I actively supported Palutena in the other games I have never routed for anyone in particular, I am that kind of person that trust that the developers decision. I get Palutena the character I really wanted, everycharacter included now for my are a nice addition.

The game is not out yet so there are still somethings we might not now, I congratulate you I like inteligent discusions and points like yours
Sorry if I came across as aggressive, as well. I tend to be assertive in debate-oriented discussions, but I never intend to be mean-spirited.

Actually, I'm kind of the same way. I'm not exclusively a fan of Series A or Series B. I just like Nintendo. I didn't get into the speculation scene until post-E3 last year, so I've generally just been happy with what I've gotten. This time around, though, the amount of content in certain areas have far outweighed others, which is just weird to me. But overall, what we've gotten so far looks awesome. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's great, nonetheless.

I am happy Palutena got in, overall. Sure, I'm not an avid supporter of her, by any means, but she's definitely not a character I hate. Like I said, I do love me some KI!

And yes, this has been a cool little discussion.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Blame it on Palutena's lackluster presentation. We've already seen the Kid Icarus characters in anime style, so most people were looking forward to seeing them animated in HD 3D; Palutena was way too serious in her trailer compared to her game self; and Palutena's attacks don't seem to mesh together into a cohesive playstyle from what we've seen.

It's not that I think the presentation was perfect, I don't,absolutely not, but my criticism was not in defense of her trailer, but the character itself. Anyone the least bit intelligent can look at the character itself rather than a single element, and the seeming lack of that ability is something I have no problem criticizing.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'll be honest. Miis + Pacman wouldn't have been a wise combination.
Heck... it should have been Miis + Palutena + Pacman and THEN a completely surprise character in the backroom event.

We're getting closer to release date. And the Wii U needs the hype. 1/3 hype isn't going to cut it IMO. (And this asuming that most people were at least happy with 1 out of the 3 reveals).

The problem to me was that these 3 characters were ones that people saw coming miles away. Of course the hype is going to be little in general, even if we like these characters. And I wasn't particularly fond of Miis before the reveal. I was indifferent on Pacman, and a little supportive of Palutena (but not even among my Top 20 character wants).

In the end I liked what I saw. Some things could have been better than others. After Little Mac, I'm having a hard time getting surprised. Pacman was a good attempt, and it DID susprise me a bit with that retro-inspired moveset. :)

Burigu

Smash Ace
Sorry if I came across as aggressive, as well. I tend to be assertive in debate-oriented discussions, but I never intend to be mean-spirited.

Actually, I'm kind of the same way. I'm not exclusively a fan of Series A or Series B. I just like Nintendo. I didn't get into the speculation scene until post-E3 last year, so I've generally just been happy with what I've gotten. This time around, though, the amount of content in certain areas have far outweighed others, which is just weird to me. But overall, what we've gotten so far looks awesome. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's great, nonetheless.

I am happy Palutena got in, overall. Sure, I'm not an avid supporter of her, by any means, but she's definitely not a character I hate. Like I said, I do love me some KI!

And yes, this has been a cool little discussion.
No problem I didn't feel you were agresive I am also assertive, that is why I apologized to you previously, maybe KI has gotten lots of content in this game but who know where we will see another game, while DK is guaranted to keep having more games, not an excuse but might get you feel better. :)

Well I guess in this case the choose ANIME because that is what fans wanted
We have already seen the characters in 3D expect the HD part in Thanatos Rissing
but by far the most liked was Palutena's revolting dinner it is only natural to please the fans that way.

I think people are taking her troll nature I bit to far, she clearly trolled Pit in sending him flying off, the rest was enfoqued in her specials, even in KIU she doesn't troll Pit everytime, she can be quite serious too we can't expect a trailer of 3 min to be all trolling Pit around :laugh:

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't get how Pac-Man not being revealed at a certain time affects Palutena hype.
The anime style was epic, why complain? Did that fight really not excite you? Really?
Her moves showed off the extra customizability, and leaves a sense of mystery as we don't know exactly what her default moves will be. Which means we get to speculate. And just look at the choices, damn those look fantastic and powerful!!!
The music was great too. I especially loved it when she appeared to not save Pit.
Miis barely had a trailer, and Pac-Man was announced before his trailer. That is not hype.
Generally speaking, that is, having a full cohesive trailer leading to a reveal and gameplay of a complete, and positive addition leads to hype. And not having that... well, then things get shaky. But a lackluster reveal for character A should affect hype for character A and not character B out of jealousy. That's pretty shallow reasoning, honestly.
I won't respond here because it's all opinion based.

Pac-Man may be liked here, but he's usually hated even more than Miis elsewhere. Pac-Man and Miis have been the 2 most disrespected characters throughout Smash Speculation, if they were revealed, and nobody else was, ****storms. ****storms everywhere. Instead of getting people excited for the game, many would have just been raging. I mean, just look below Nintendo's tweet that Pac-Man is in. *sigh* lots of hate replies. I'm glad he's liked here, but it's not the same everywhere. And revealing them together with nobody else would have been terrible. Sakurai deserves what he wants, honestly. Even if what he wants is... *shudders* Miis...
But here I have to comment.

Just...really?

This place is one of the few places I've ever seen that Pac-Man is disliked at all. Most everywhere else, he's welcomed with open arms. The only place that would've really been raging would be this place. And even most of the haters here have conformed after seeing how Pac-Man was done. It would've gone over a whole lot better than you're implying.

At the very least, I would've revealed Pac-Man at the end of the thousands-of-people-invitational instead of in a super secret press conference with 50 or so people. But I think Palutena would've gotten a better reaction among the competitive smash community than Pac-Man.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well I guess in this case the choose ANIME because that is what fans wanted
We have already seen the characters in 3D expect the HD part in Thanatos Revenge
but by far the most liked was Palutena's revolting dinner it is only natural to please the fans that way.

I think people are taking her troll nature I bit to far, she clearly trolled Pit in sending him flying off, the rest was enfoqued in her specials, even in KIU she doesn't troll Pit everytime, she can be quite serious too we can't expect a trailer of 3 min to be all trolling Pit around :laugh:
I remember very distinctly that there were more people in Palutena's thread who said they'd be disappointed by an anime trailer than those who wanted it (talking likes). But whatever.

And I know she's not always a troll, but she's a lot more playful than that. This made her seem like generic video game goddess figure #378.

EDIT: If one of the mods could fix the double post, I'd appreciate it. I meant to put this in with the rest of it.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
I remember very distinctly that there were more people in Palutena's thread who said they'd be disappointed by an anime trailer than those who wanted it (talking likes). But whatever.

And I know she's not always a troll, but she's a lot more playful than that. This made her seem like generic video game goddess figure #378.

EDIT: If one of the mods could fix the double post, I'd appreciate it. I meant to put this in with the rest of it.
Well I can't recall if that is true, but even if in the Palutena thread that is true in the bigger picture out of Smashboards, that might not be the case, I don't hold hard evidence to my claim but I guess Nintendo was looking, and between the 3 animated shots the one make from Shaft was the best, even the avatar and signatures used a lot Palutena's revolting dinner, and didn't use Thanatos Rissing ( which is the correct name my bad) and nobody used Medusa's revenge gifs, so I guess that means something.

Maybe if you are entering the battlefield you might get serious too, but personally I didn't get that impresion about her for me her character was well executed

Last edited:

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Going to be short, pretty busy today and tomorrow, don't expect the chance chart updated till then.
will add reasoning if I can later
Mii fighters - 40%
Palutena - 60%
Pacman - 95%

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well I can't recall if that is true, but even if in the Palutena thread that is true in the bigger picture out of Smashboards, that might not be the case, I don't hold hard evidence to my claim but I guess Nintendo was looking, and between the 3 animated shots the one make from Shaft was the best, even the avatar and signatures used a lot Palutena's revolting dinner, and didn't use Thanatos Rissing ( which is the correct name my bad) and nobody used Medusa's revenge gifs, so I guess that means something.

Maybe if you are entering the battlefield you might get serious too, but personally I didn't get that impresion about her for me her character was well executed
Of course, it's all opinion based. It was just disappointing to see a style we've already seen with her, imo.

Well, normally, she makes little quips even when she's guiding Pit on the battlefield. I always thought she'd have that same relaxed attitude when fighting too. Or, at the very least, that she'd be a bit more emotive...she looked a little lifeless to me.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339
Pac-Man Satisfaction: 95% :4pacman:

This is kinda shocking for me.

Aside from the arcade games and various versions of those, I've never played a Pac-Man game. Aside from knowing who he is, I have little connection to the character. And for some reason, this guy has me hyped beyond belief. He's a love letter. He's fan service. He's just not Pac-Man.

He's Retro Namco the character and I love it.

Not only that, but they used his beloved design instead of his questionable new one even when everyone was expecting them to use the new one. Fans gave their blessing and were ready to accept Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man. But they didn't do it and pulled the best move possible. That's listening to fans. That's going the extra mile. He looks great and he's full of personality. And he looks like a blast to play.

To be honest, his trailer and his gameplay have actually gotten me interested in Pac-Man games.

I might have to play Pac-Man World if I can find it.

And that's the thing I love about Smash. It teaches me about new game series and makes me want to try them for myself. That's the true heart of the series. It's what makes Smash so special. I never thought I would have a desire to play a Pac-Man game and I was wrong.

I'm really happy to be wrong.

Only real downside I can think of is that Snake is probably gone. But I can't really blame Pac-Man for that. :snake:

Mii Fighters Satisfaction:80% :4mii:

Let's make this clear.

I like Miis. I've liked Miis for a long time. I never really understood why people hate them.

They're avatars, yeah. But they are also much more than that.

They're history. Icons of an era. Celebration of what Nintendo is now and what they have been for quite some time. That alone is kind of appealing.

I also enjoy their games. Story time! Originally, I thought they were lame. I was open at first and willing to give them a shot but they just seemed weird to me. Wii Sports was a fun distraction and Wii Play was a cool tech demo. But after that I lost interest in them. They seemed lame and the games they were in were mediocre at best. Later they started to show up in Mario Kart and such. I didn't really care. I didn't question it. I just proceeded not to use them. They were just boring avatars to me.

But then one day a friend brought Wii Party over. He wanted to show it to me and we needed something a lot of people could play as his little brothers wanted to join us. I accepted but was expecting a subpar Mario Party clone (and at that point Mario Party was pretty stale). But then I played it.

It was actually really fun.

Like REALLY fun.

I never expected to have that much fun with it. I was blown away. Miis starred in a great game! So great that I plan on getting Wii Party U when I get a Wii U.

Still, I kind of saw it as a fluke. I loved Wii Party but it was just one game.

Later still, my friend got a Wii U and with it Nintendo Land! We were all excited to try the new console and were expecting a good game this time. People seemed to love this one and the Nintendo version of Disneyland idea was charming.

We were right. It was super fun.

At this point I was liking Miis. Not much, but I didn't see them as annoying.

But here's the big one.

I got a Nintendo 3DS.

I was hyped. So many great games to play but one of the most addicting was one I never even knew existed.

Streetpass Puzzle Swap and Find Mii.

These games really stuck out with me. Puzzle Swap got my love of collecting things and the little 3D presentations were neat to look at. Find Mii was special though. It was an adventure. One with plot and characters (simple as heck but stiil there). It was this game that changed my mind. After beating the Dark Emperor, I knew that Miis were characters. And that they did have their own identity. It's kinda complicated to put into words but Find Mii is what made Mii positive for me. I was ecstatic when we got a Find Mii stage.

So yeah, Miis are special to me. :p

Gameplay wise, they look okay but some things bug me. First, there's three of them which is a double edged sword.

More gameplay that looks really fun and full of charm, but it's all spent on Miis. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

Even then, they're borrowing moves from other characters. What gives? That bugs me too.

Still, I'm excited to play as them.

Palutena Satisfaction: 75% :4palutena:

If the posts above me are any indication, Palutena has some... passionate fans. So it may be a death sentence that I put Miis over her but here me out.

I love Palutena and wanted her in for a long time and I am happy that she's in. She looks fun and I can't wait to play her.

The stuff that got me was a bit odd but it's my honest feelings.

The trailer was awesome. The anime fight was cool and looked beautiful. Everyone was in character! It looked amazing.

Then the gameplay happened.

I kinda don't like her model. I don't know why and I'm not sure if I can really put a finger on it, but I suppose it's part of what I'm about next.

Her gameplay didn't seem in character. She has this regal look which is perfect, but there's no sense of playfulness which is a key part of her character. The dialogue during the gameplay was fine, but the in game footage was so... serious. Her expression is so stoic when she's really not a stoic character. She's playful, witty and fun. It just seemed odd and a bit off putting.I feel like her character isn't being protrayed as well as it could be.

Her gameplay was everywhere and not in a good way. It was distracting and nothing really flowed. Then I learned that she's getting special treatment. I'm sorry but I'm starting to get sick of Kid Icarus content everywhere.

AND I LOVE KID ICARUS!

His bias is showing and it's starting to get a little grating.

Still, overall, I'm happy and excited to try her!

Don't kill me Palutena fans...

So how do you like my novel?
Bravo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm on my phone so I may not be doing this right, but:

I am 90% satisfied with Mii Fighters. Only niggle I have is that because of their limited use online, they could end up being a bit of a novelty. I do think they are extra charming when looked at in combination with Amiibo figures, though.

Palutena was 100% satisfaction, and I'm even more hyped for her than I thought. I was laughing and in awe throughout the whole trailer. I really like how she is going to be super customisable too.

Pac-Man is 65% satisfaction. I still don't care about him a whole lot due to Pac-Man being really difficult to hold sentimental attachment to, but they handled his implementation and trailer in a charming way. His moveset is cute, however, in terms of how he actually plays, he seems pretty standard. Visually impressive, but he isn't incredibly unique functionality wise.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ignoring the whole Palutena debate because the bottom line is that she's my favorite character and I'm extremely biased. I do however see inconsistency in bringing her down for not being important in the greater context and yet being ok with the Mii taking up THREE spots. That I have an issue with, but w.e., not here for that.

Just wanted to mention that Magnus is confirmed Assist Trophy. Showed up at the Best Buy event when I went, and he's a great Assist Trophy: does exactly what you would expect, and looks great.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I mean we all asked for her, then he puts her in and people complain about Sakurai bias?
What?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really mind Pac-Man being in the game, but the majority of people wanted him for the wrong reason.

In general, this game needs another Rosalina/Wii Fit Trainer- a character people didn't know they wanted in the game until they saw them in action.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

What?
The reality is that, without Sakurai developing Uprising, far fewer people would have paid attention to her and grown to like her. It's safe to say that a lot of her support grew from expectation of Sakurai bias, which may not have been the immediate cause of her inclusion, but absolutely helped in this roundabout way.

A lot of people are really open about this too, especially on GameFAQs. "Kid Icarus DESERVES three reps because Sakurai was thinking about Smash when designing them and it's his creative vision" is a common train of thought over there.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

What?
Her inclusion is fine.

By why is she so special compared to other characters?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Her inclusion is fine.

By why is she so special compared to other characters?
The character is likable overall.

She's pretty, she has a great personality, and she's crucial to the story of Kid Icarus.

Which as a result makes her incredibly popular.
It's not so much what she does, rather who she is.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Ignoring the whole Palutena debate because the bottom line is that she's my favorite character and I'm extremely biased. I do however see inconsistency in bringing her down for not being important in the greater context and yet being ok with the Mii taking up THREE spots. That I have an issue with, but w.e., not here for that.
The official website lists the Mii fighters as one character, ergo they probably will use one multi-select spot, and I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would intentionally exclude other characters for the sake of adding extra Mii movesets. If anything, I imagine they simply came as a byproduct of trying to make the best Mii Smash character possible, just as I imagine extra attention from Sakurai led to Palutena getting twelve unique specials. Clearly the developers tried to go the extra mile on both characters, though how successful they were with either one is obviously highly debatable.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The character is likable overall.

She's pretty, she has a great personality, and she's crucial to the story of Kid Icarus.

Which as a result makes her incredibly popular.
It's not so much what she does, rather who she is.

You really don't understand,

I like Palutena. I supported her.

I'm happy she's in, but why is she getting special treatment with the special moves?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
The official website lists the Mii fighters as one character, ergo they probably will use one multi-select spot, and I have a hard time believing that Nintendo would intentionally exclude other characters for the sake of adding extra Mii movesets. If anything, I imagine they simply came as a byproduct of trying to make the best Mii Smash character possible, just as I imagine extra attention from Sakurai led to Palutena getting twelve unique specials. Clearly the developers tried to go the extra mile on both characters, though how successful they were with either one is obviously highly debatable.
Roster spot or not, Sakurai mentioned that each version of the Mii Fighter (Sword, Brawler, Gunner) has specific 12 special movesets, and all of them were balanced to ensure they are all competitive. Going along with what Sakurai said long ago, about how each character additions is an exponential increase of work, we can reasonably conclude that the time spent on the miis inevitably meant no time spent on other characters.

Yes, it's all the result of Sakurai going the extra mile, but in this case I have a huge issue with him going the extra mile on a template character, um, sorry, three template characters, instead of delivering other highly demanded characters. It's too much, and if people are going to give Palutena ****, then let's be consistent and give the Miis as much **** for three times the insult.

edit: OK, and special treatment? really?
So I guess the KO Punch was special treatment too. Geez Sakurai, stop favoring Little Mac.
And Rosalina has a puppet to fight with her. All the special treatment, let's hate her too.

Now it genuinely feels like people are digging for reasons to complain on Palutena

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Oh, that's what you meant.

Not sure about that, there were a lot of abilities in Kid Icarus so maybe Sakurai had all of them in mind,
And then he didn't want to scrap the ideas so he kept them in as an option.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'll do a quick rating because I'm not in the essay mood, even though I'm super pumped.

Palutena: 95%
I love Palutena and I'm so excited to finally see her!
My only complains are the character model (which looks a little too serious for my liking) and the customization (honestly I just want a set moveset). But these are very minor complaints and I'm just happy to see my waifu one of my favorite characters.

Pac-Man: 100%
There is absolutely nothing to complain about here. They modeled him from his far superior Pac Man World design, gave him an awesome classic Namco moveset, and shut down all of the haters who said he couldn't be unique. He exceeded expectations, honestly.

Mii Fighter: 70%
I'll admit that Mii Fighter looks better than I expected, but three different movesets means development time that could have been spent on three other characters. So that's my only issue. Blaster Mii looks awesome.

Sorry for the double post.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master

I'm happy she's in, but why is she getting special treatment with the special moves?
Isn't more optional customization only a good thing?
It seems like it's what's saving the Miis from getting the hate they used to get when we rated them before they were confirmed.
Why is it good for them but bad for Palutena? She had a lot of moves they could use, which Sakurai was familiar with. If you were to pick a 2nd newcomer to have 12 special moves, wouldn't you have picked her too? I mean, what else could they have given Little Mac? Rosalina? Villager? Pac-Man? Wii Fit Trainer? Greninja? I guess Mega Man cold have had the 12, but he already has perfect representation of moves through both his specials and A attacks. He really didn't need it, or at least, not more than Palutena. I think she was a good pick, assuming they had already decided to do this for 2 separate character before doing it.
Sure, they could have just given this to Miis, but I think that there is a sizable amount of people that will want to try out this games full customization without being forced to play as their Miis. Which some people only have 1 or 2 of. Giving it also to a generally liked character will most likely prove to be a successful choice.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm gonna go ahead and keep it short since I have to work soon.

Mii Fighters - 85%: Honestly, I expected them in the game even though I didn't want them in . Sakurai did, however, blew me away with their playing style and giving us options to choose different types instead of same old thing every time we play. Even better that Miis are forbidden online with non-friends so we don't have to worry about seeing annoying Miis like Goku, Wolverine, and penis (yes, people are crazy these days).

Palutena - 88% - Expected her, wanted her, now we got her. LOVE the anime fight when everyone was in style. Then...Palutena was all serious. Why so serious Sakurai? Playstyle looks interesting and I'm willing to give her a try. Can't give her an exact rating until I try her out, but this is what I can do for now

Pacman - 80% - I'll be honest, I was actually hoping for him to be revealed immediately after the invitational, not the roundtable. That would've created alot more hype. His playstyle of classic and modern moves looks really good and I'm impressed with his design. Even though I wasn't hoping for him, he looks like a fun character. For now, I'm giving him an 80 until later.

inb4someoneflamesmeforratingstoolow

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Why is she getting special treatment with the special moves?
I think it's due to the revolving moveset fitting her character the best, especially if the trailer is true about the powers coming from her. I could really only think that of the newcomers we've seen so far, Greninja and Mega Man seem like the only ones who could use this gimmick as well, assuming that someone has to use the revolving powers gimmick. But I don't think people would've been as hyped for Mega Man if the smash, air and tilt robot master attacks were replaced by generic attacks so that Mega Man could have revolving powers, and revolving powers Greninja would've likely required taking the Shuriken away which is a defining trait for the character. So realistically, she's the only one left (though I do think that Chrom could be kinda interesting with it but given that we know nothing about how Chrom plays, I'll leave it at that).

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

Kid Icarus Uprising has insane customization options so Palutena is designed around that idea. At least that's the impression I'm getting.

Don't like it myself, but eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom