• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I will only be doing a short post right now. I am very busy lately.
Palutena: 100%
Mii: 0%
Pac-Man: 50%

Last edited:

RankoChan

Smash Apprentice
Mii Fighters: 80%
It's been known they were going to be in the game thanks to the leak, but it wasn't known how they'd be implemented. I assumed they'd be an alt for the Villager or their own slot with a single moveset. It was surprising to see we were getting 3 variations, each with their own moveset. That's a bit of an overkill for me since I think a single moveset based on the Wii Sports/ Wii Play/Find Mii series would have been fine. They still look really fun to use!

My second most wanted and planned main for Smash 4; she did not disappoint!

Pac-Man: 80%
I'm not a fan of 3rd parties in Smash, but Pac-Man definitely surpassed my expectations. I was worried we'd get his modern teenage design! It's awesome they've went with his classic roots for the game and his moveset looks really fun! He's a much more exciting pick for me over Mega Man (not a fan of the character) or Sonic (dull movest IMO).

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Pac-Man
Satisfaction:
80%

I was absolutely confused as to why he wasn't confirmed earlier at E3.
I found that really confusing and dumb as well.

Why did Nintendo think this was a good idea? They had the perfect opportunity to show the trailer right at the end of the Invitational, and instead they chose a late night, text-only, tweet-fest? Way to waste a hyped up audience.

D

Deleted member

Palutena :4palutena:: 75% - I just like that the anime portions of the trailer allow me to straw grasp for Homura. I dunno, this character doesn't really have me excited, and I have no interest in playing her, but her moves look pretty flashy, and I am happy for her supporters. I think they represented the character fine, but I dunno, I don't really feel anything watching her trailer. Surprisingly despite being one of the characters I wanted most pre E3, she has me the least excited of all the E3 newcomers, (Don't take this the wrong way please.) and I have no idea why. I think it may have to do with me expecting little from Mii Fighters/Pac-man and being blown away with how cool they look.

Mii Fighters :4mii:: 80% - The trailer for these guys was great. Before their reveal, I hated this idea, as we have Peach using sports equipment, and Villager using random crap, but the way Mii was actually put in the game is a lot better and more creative than what I thought. I can have a match of Nicolas Cage, Charles Darwin, Gordon Ramsay, and Billy Mays. That's a good character in my book. I don't think I'll end up using this character too much due to their being barred from "With Anyone" mode, though. They'll be a lot of fun for more light hearted matches though, and pros outweigh cons IMO. Customization is always a good thing, and being able to customize outfits sells it for me. I'm just wondering how Kirby hats work.

Pac-man :4pacman:: 100% - This character is adorable. Despite how simplistic his design is, I really like how they make him emote. Just look at him at the end of the trailer when G Dubs shows up. I also really love the creativity of his moveset; he isn't just Pac-man, he's like the incarnation of the arcade era of video gaming, with the Galaga and Dig Dug moves. Possibly one of my new mains for sure. Him and Greninja. Just a shame I have to wait until release to play him, but I guess in a way that's even more exciting. The one thing that ticked me off with his reveal was the Game and Watch tease. I know he's basically guaranteed, but it still annoyed me a little.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
300%, because I loved everything. They're all worth while additions, and I can't wait to get my hands on them. Unfortunately, I have to wait. Until October. Which sucks. Yay PaluPacMii!!!

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
This post feels kinda weird as it's the first time I've given any newcomer lower than 80% satisfaction, and one of them is well below that mark. The reveals thus far have been handled very, very well, so I'm sad to say that, for the first time, one of the newcomers failed to inspire any hype for me whatsoever. (As an aside, these were all characters I was very neutral on beforehand, so I'm a little surprised my much my opinion swung on them in both directions.)

Mii Fighters - 95%
Here's my big surprise for the show. I figured Miis would come along and have some gimmicky moveset pulling from the various Mii games, which would be unexciting but give them a reasonable entry into the series. What we actually got are a bunch of fast, flashy fighters pulling from three different archetypes and featuring loads of customization both in terms of moves and appearance, which is a far more interesting implementation than I would have ever expected. Nintendo clearly had fun with the reveal with the Reggi VS Iwata fight sequence and the silly title cards for the likes of Ice-T and Abraham Lincoln, and the fact that they're being confined to battles with friends tells me they're not meant to be taken seriously (IE not competitive and likely not very balanced) but rather simply to be played for fun. I was worried about how Miis might be handled, but Nintendo hit all the right notes for me and I'm definitely looking forward to trying them out.

So, why not 100% if I like them so much? Well, oddly enough, they don't seem to have a formal trailer despite the awesome treatment they got for their reveal, nor do they have a special artwork like the other newcomers. Those two components are among my favorite parts of the reveals, so not having them for the Miis is enough of a disappointment to be worthy of docking a few points. Safe to say, though, that they're my favorite Smash reveal at E3 by a significant margin.

Palutena - 25%
For me, Palutena has been the character that I knew full well would get in, but she also didn't particularly interest me. Even if she was the best pick for a Kid Icarus newcomer, I didn't particularly see the need for her inclusion nor a second KI character in general. Essentially, she had to really prove her worth with her reveal, and, well, she didn't. Don't get me wrong, the anime sequence was a nice touch, and she certainly appears to be a perfectly well made character, but her gameplay footage was confusing and didn't really give me a strong impression of how she'll play (aside from using a staff/spells obviously). Accentuating this was learning after the fact that she has 12 specials, which explains why the footage was so scattershot and leaves me without any clue what her normal moves are. It's almost like Sakurai put so much extra effort into her that she came out overdone, to the point that her core identity is diluted. That's pretty concerning for a first glance with no other footage to speak of.

Perhaps what's more telling, though, is that my friends and fellow Smash fans had very similar reactions. Few that I talked to before E3 even knew who Palutena was, and everyone who I talked to afterward found her either underwhelming or just plain uninteresting. It sure as heck didn't excite them for Smash, at the very least, just like she didn't excite me. She was a character that I was apathetic about beforehand, and now not only do I continue to find her uninteresting, but I'm left frustrated that all the effort that went into her couldn't have been used on a more interesting newcomer. At the very least she is plenty unique, so maybe she ends up playing better than expected, but as of the moment I can't say that I like her much at all.

Pac-Man - 75%
Honestly, I hadn't the slightest idea what to expect from Pac-Man as a playable character. I figured there was enough Pac-Man and Namco history to pull from to make a reasonable moveset, but I couldn't really say what angle Sakurai might take. What we got is a pretty nice mix of inspirations, both playing on chomping others like in his base game and pulling out ghosts and other Namco arcade game tributes. He looks super animated and generally fun to mess around with, a third party character who really got the star treatment. That said, he still didn't excite me that much: his inclusion feels more obligatory than because he's a must-have Smash character, and I can't say I want to play him more than any of the pre-E3 newcomers or even the Miis from earlier in the day. I'm perfectly content with his inclusion and certainly had fun with his trailer, but not unlike Sonic before him, I doubt he holds my interest long term.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Mii- 90%

I'm not happy the Mii is in, but I also am not surprised. That being said, they did an AMAZING job making the Mii as awesome as it could possibly be. I have no complaints.

Pac Man- 80%

For the same reasons as Mii, I didn't really want him, I did expect him, but they really did an awesome job designing him and his moveset. Again, can't complain.

Palutena- 95%

She looks amazing. Yet again, we all knew she was coming. But she looks as amazing as you could've imagined. I had to watch her trailer a few times, several times were to remind myself why there needs to be a Smash anime, and the other times to justify to myself that she ISN'T OP. Some of her moves look like they have rather large hitboxes, and she just looks all-around like she is going to fight, well, like a goddess.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Palutena: 70%
I preferred both Medusa and Hades, but she is still a neat character.

Miis: 50%
Meh, I don't like that there's three different types. Mainly due to the amount of development time it must of taken. I was fine with Pokémon Trainer having 3 different Pokémon.

Pac-Man: 85%
Easily the character that hyped me the most. I like Pac-Man and he seemed to have an interesting moveset along with neat stages.

Honestly though, I have to say that I'm so far somewhat disappointed(not much as I'm still hyped for the overall game). And I really hate saying that.

Last edited:

Shamurai Formerly

Sultan of Sham
NNID
shamuraiform
3DS FC
4871-5739-8819
Mii: 20%
I'm not liking that development effort was spent on three separate movesets for one character. Though I can make a Willem Dafoe Mii, so that's... nice I guess.

Palutena: 8%
I recognize that she is a fan favorite around here and am glad people have gotten a character they wanted, so I will avoid being a spoil-sport in this post. But I'm not at all excited by her inclusion.

Pac-Man: 7%
Same as Palutena.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
The three newcomers that I considered to be the most likely were all confirmed, let's see how satisfied I am with them...

Mii Satisfaction: 25%

They definitely could have been worse, but I don't really like how they have three different variations, I don't think I'll end up using any of them often, and I still don't like Miis in general. Probably my least favorite newcomer so far, honestly.

Palutena Satisfaction: 100%

She was a character I wanted and is the only one of the three that I'm actually interested in playing as. That's all I have to say. Easily the one that excited me the most.

Pac-Man Satisfaction: 60%

While I doubt Pac-Man's going to get much playtime for me, I can't say I'm disappointed with his inclusion either. Unlike Miis and Wii Fit Trainer, I do actually like Pac-Man as a character despite my fairly low want scores previously, so that's probably why my score is much higher than theirs. I also have to admit that I'll probably want to have a few Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man vs. Pac-Man matches. Also, I'm very glad that they picked the design that they did.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Palutena: 90% - She looks more fun to play as than I expected her to be.

Mii: 80% - They don't look as out of place as I thought they would.

Pac-Man: 100% - He's the gosh darn Pac-Man for crying out loud! Plus, his moveset looks interesting.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Alright

Palutena - 100%
This was my most wanted character. The trailer was perfect for any kid Icarus fan. The move set is even more of a love letter, and I love how she looks in HD.
By far the most hype thing to happen in Smash for me since Mega Man

Pac-man: 100%
Perfect execution as well, with classic sound effects and him being a love letter to Namco history. Fantastically done. Looks exactly as I expected and this game would have been incomplete without him.

Mii Fighters: 0%
This is to me, by far, the worst character in the game. For once, I actually find the characters to be horribly executed, and even the hype trailer of Iwata vs. Reggie was tarnished. And since it's the first thing about this game to bring down hype (thank god Palutena followed this) I will talk extensively of it.

First, I want to clarify I like the Sal Romano leak. I like the characters it includes and I was fine with the Mii. Particularly after going through Tomodachi Life which gives them so much personality.
However, the execution really bothered me. The miis did have stuff to work with that would have made them unique, among which is the fact their shirts usually alter their skills and attributes in the game. But instead, for once, Sakurai opted to not even reference anything about the Mii and just attached generic crap. Strike one.
Second, once Sakurai started talking about it it became worse. Not only do we get one generic move set, but now we have three. Three characters. The most generic, boring, simplistic move set took up three slots. The moment he said that I was pissed. It's clear now that K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Toad, Takamaru, and a host of other characters can't all make it, and the truth of the matter is that now we know development time and debugging and balancing had to be done for 3 Mii move sets, and that's why, say, two more Nintendo All-Star characters didn't make it. That's some bull****, they're not even unique move sets or ones that honor the character. HUGE strike two.
Lastly, there's the fact that the justification for doing this, for including this bland template of a character, is because of all the stupid, joke, absurd, and childish requests from people online. This is extremely angering. You know all those people online asking for Reggie and Goku and Shrek? They won. Sakurai listened to that noise and not to the demand for whatever character didn't make it into the game because of this. Some of these newcomers and veterans are not in the game because some kid on miiverse wanted to use Bieber. ****ing strike three.
Horrible horrible horrible mistake Sakurai. Now unless we have a ****ton of character reveals left, it's clear the game won't feel complete because THREE miis took up development time.

Yes, the hype was saved considerably because of Palutena, Pac-Man, the invitational, the demo, and Nintendo's digital event being just plain fun. But the bottom line is that the Mii Fighters are for me the worst, most poorly executed, inclusion of the game. I seriously have done my best to forget they exist.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mii Fighters - 20%

Uff. 3 characters with 3 swapable specials, all for a single character? Ack! The work it takes, it's almost crazy. I can't imagine how much work it would take to get such characters in. Even if they won't be meant for competitive matches, they sill have to have some level of balancing to prevent becoming the next Meta Knight-esque overcentralizing character. How much work did they take away from what I wanted?

Palutena - 87.5% - OK... let me list my complaints with the trailer-

1. Palutena's "Divine intervention" line was almost annoyingly off-sink with her mouth.
  2. Another 12 set character? Well, at least the specials seem to be more interesting that I find the Miis...
  3. Um... that's about it, basically.
Honestly, if it weren't for the above, I'd rate it higher than Mega Man, who I will still use as a baseline 90%. Sadly, the way things are shaping up, it looks as if he might be the highest...

Pac-Man - 42.25%

Yeah, yeah, call me the spoil-sport. Looking at the move set, it honestly doesn't feel like much. The most I can get is stage control, which honestly makes him feel like Snake. He's forced to rely on others instead of what makes him special to act as "filler" moves. Once you get past the nostalgia of the sprites, I'm not sure how much he even has. I wouldn't mind it if he was first-party, but he doesn't exactly meet up with the expectations I have for third-parties.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Palutena-100%
Not much to say, I expected her to be how she was in the trailer, not like that's a bad thing.
Mii-80%
I was surprised how they turned out, I'm impressed.
Pac-Man-100%
It's Pac-Man, the granddaddy of video games, I just wished he was revealed during the Digital Event.

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Palutena - 100%
Pac-Man - 100%
Mii - 0% I am okay with the final product, but hate how much development time they take up at the sacrifice of so many other characters. I will never use them.

D

Deleted member

I found that really confusing and dumb as well.

Why did Nintendo think this was a good idea? They had the perfect opportunity to show the trailer right at the end of the Invitational, and instead they chose a late night, text-only, tweet-fest? Way to waste a hyped up audience.
That's what also confused me is that they saved that for an event that was only open to journalists. I can't see Pac-Man and I can't get hyped for him since I can't see his trailer.
I think that Pac-Man should have been revealed before Palutena. Or, at the very least, have Pac-Man be revealed after the invitational like you mentioned (with a jam-packed and hyped audience mind you) and have a different newcomer like Chorus Men or something get revealed.

Mii Fighters: 0%
This is to me, by far, the worst character in the game. For once, I actually find the characters to be horribly executed, and even the hype trailer of Iwata vs. Reggie was tarnished. And since it's the first thing about this game to bring down hype (thank god Palutena followed this) I will talk extensively of it.

First, I want to clarify I like the Sal Romano leak. I like the characters it includes and I was fine with the Mii. Particularly after going through Tomodachi Life which gives them so much personality.
However, the execution really bothered me. The miis did have stuff to work with that would have made them unique, among which is the fact their shirts usually alter their skills and attributes in the game. But instead, for once, Sakurai opted to not even reference anything about the Mii and just attached generic crap. Strike one.
Second, once Sakurai started talking about it it became worse. Not only do we get one generic move set, but now we have three. Three characters. The most generic, boring, simplistic move set took up three slots. The moment he said that I was pissed. It's clear now that K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, Toad, Takamaru, and a host of other characters can't all make it, and the truth of the matter is that now we know development time and debugging and balancing had to be done for 3 Mii move sets, and that's why, say, two more Nintendo All-Star characters didn't make it. That's some bull****, they're not even unique move sets or ones that honor the character. HUGE strike two.
Lastly, there's the fact that the justification for doing this, for including this bland template of a character, is because of all the stupid, joke, absurd, and childish requests from people online. This is extremely angering. You know all those people online asking for Reggie and Goku and Shrek? They won. Sakurai listened to that noise and not to the demand for whatever character didn't make it into the game because of this. Some of these newcomers and veterans are not in the game because some kid on miiverse wanted to use Bieber. ****ing strike three.
Horrible horrible horrible mistake Sakurai. Now unless we have a ****ton of character reveals left, it's clear the game won't feel complete because THREE miis took up development time.

Yes, the hype was saved considerably because of Palutena, Pac-Man, the invitational, the demo, and Nintendo's digital event being just plain fun. But the bottom line is that the Mii Fighters are for me the worst, most poorly executed, inclusion of the game. I seriously have done my best to forget they exist.

Bless all of this post.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Palutena - 90%

It is no 100% because I was expecting her, but her moves look awesome.

Mii Fighter - 60%

At first I was against them, but the more I saw them, the more I saw what interesting characters they were.

Pacman - 50%

I am indifferent about Pacman either way. I sit at 50% percent because I could do with or without him. But on a side note, each time I watch his reveal trailer, the more I see his potential.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Alright

Palutena - 100%
This was my most wanted character. The trailer was perfect for any kid Icarus fan. The move set is even more of a love letter, and I love how she looks in HD.
By far the most hype thing to happen in Smash for me since Mega Man
Thank you no better words could describe my feelings, I agree with everything in your post too.

Palutena: 8%
I recognize that she is a fan favorite around here and am glad people have gotten a character they wanted, so I will avoid being a spoil-sport in this post. But I'm not at all excited by her inclusion.
Palutena - 25%
For me, Palutena has been the character that I knew full well would get in, but she also didn't particularly interest me. Even if she was the best pick for a Kid Icarus newcomer, I didn't particularly see the need for her inclusion nor a second KI character in general. Essentially, she had to really prove her worth with her reveal, and, well, she didn't. Don't get me wrong, the anime sequence was a nice touch, and she certainly appears to be a perfectly well made character, but her gameplay footage was confusing and didn't really give me a strong impression of how she'll play (aside from using a staff/spells obviously). Accentuating this was learning after the fact that she has 12 specials, which explains why the footage was so scattershot and leaves me without any clue what her normal moves are. It's almost like Sakurai put so much extra effort into her that she came out overdone, to the point that her core identity is diluted. That's pretty concerning for a first glance with no other footage to speak of.

Perhaps what's more telling, though, is that my friends and fellow Smash fans had very similar reactions. Few that I talked to before E3 even knew who Palutena was, and everyone who I talked to afterward found her either underwhelming or just plain uninteresting. It sure as heck didn't excite them for Smash, at the very least, just like she didn't excite me. She was a character that I was apathetic about beforehand, and now not only do I continue to find her uninteresting, but I'm left frustrated that all the effort that went into her couldn't have been used on a more interesting newcomer. At the very least she is plenty unique, so maybe she ends up playing better than expected, but as of the moment I can't say that I like her much at all.

Last edited:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
PacMan satisfaction: 100%

I was someone who would have absolutley loved if Pac-Man made it in. The trailer they revealed for him was excellent in my opinion. Plus, his moveset looks awesome for someone who everyone was stuggling to make a moveset on, especially with the ghosts fro the original.

Palutena: 90%

The anime inspired trailer really struck me as cool.

Mii: 50%

I liked how they made Mii's actually good fighters with actually good movesets. But on the downside, I never really cared about them and they're taking up more slots.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Palutena: 10000000% favorite character reveal. Her move set is better than I imagined.

Mii fighters: 10%
I don't care for miis but something that I really don't like about them is that for customizable characters they are severely limited and I hate how blocky and choppy their models look. Villager is one thing defined by the animal crossing universe but the miis look inferior in design. Sakurai said that we could use them to play as anybody but with how limited miis are by nature we really can't. Heck you can't even have them wear exotic hair colors or change clothing. If they had superior customization that would be better. I also dislike that they take 3 seperate unique move sets which I feel could have gone to another character.

Pacman: 75% glad he had that look really.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mii Satisfaction: 10%.
As you all know, I was a huge detractor for Miis. To see them get in with not one, not two, but three movesets boiled my skin, especially due to the lack of Mewtwo.
However, I'm glad that they didn't just throw them in; they went all the way. But as far as I am concerned, custom characters is not what Smash is about...

Palutena Satisfaction: 40%.

I don't care about Palutena, but her trailer was really cool, the duel between Link and Pit was entertaining, and the conclusion with Palutena deceptively flicking Pit to the side was funny. Though that conclusion with Dark Pit...what was up with that? Her moveset looks really interesting, especially after they revealed she has twelve special moves.
Admittedly, her model looks a bit bored...if it's intentional, then it's funny, though. I also like the subtle confirmation of Pit and Palutena having Smash Taunts.

Pac-Man Satisfaction: 70%.
I gotta say, I liked this trailer. I expected the Pac-Man from Pacman and the Craptastic Uncanny Valley Adventures, but they actually did the right thing and brought in old-school Classic Pac-Man. The fact they posted the reaction video was great, too. He looks fun, and I love the prospect of having Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man all in on game, not because I like them, but because it's going to make Nintendo so much money.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Miis - 61%
I'm one of those people who always kind of wanted a character creator mode SSB and this is probably the closest we're going to get. I'd be lying if I said I couldn't find some enjoyment out of this.

Palutena - 57%
I felt surprisingly underwhelmed, probably because it was already obvious that she'd be playable and that the trailer was extremely corny.

Pacman - 73%
Truly deserved to be playable more than any other candidate, he looks like a lot of fun to use.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Satisfaction:
Mii Fighters: 70%
The fact that they are not usable online is better than I could have ever imagined. Now I won't have to deal with a bunch of penises, Lincolns, and Hitlers. Plus, I actually kind of like the three slots concept (gasp!) Reveal trailers count for about 4/5ths of a characters worth I my book (at least not until I see more about them later on) and Mii fighters shined there.

Pac-man: 99%
Now THIS is a reveal trailer. Nothing but a cool character, new content, great music, pure gameplay footage, and even a veteran reveal! I'm also really glad they chose the design they did. Sad he wasn't shown at e3 though.

Palutena: 25%
I disliked Palutena's reveal trailer for a lot of reasons. Here's why:
-I feel like Pac-man should have been revealed at e3 in her place.
- Absolutley no suspense as to who will be revealed. The trailer starts, and there is a shot of Palutena's chest.
- I didn't like the art style used. I didn't like the KIU cartoon that I did watch, and I really liked the previous animated sequences.
-The KIU spoilers were a slap in the face to those who hadn't played the game (myself fortunately not included)
- Why is there dialogue? I want to focus on the action, not Palutena telling me about herself.

I liked the Link vs. Pit battle though, and am also hopeful about the inclusion of Dark Pit.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Wow. This E3 has been intense. Gematsu is looking more and more legit every day. Here's my satisfaction:

Mii Fighter: 75%

At first, I was against the idea because of how boring I thought they'd be. Now, I'm a little more on board with the idea because I've seen them in action. Three unique styles, and two of them I really like (Swordsmaster and Gunner). While I may not use them often, I don't hate their inclusion.

I thought it would be cool for Palutena to be in Smash for a while, but the Palutena "leak" was what pushed her into my top 5 wanted. I don't know why; maybe it was just seeing her alongside Mario that made me think, "Yeah. She fits perfectly in Smash".
When I first saw her in her trailer, I had a huge smile on my face. Through her dialogue with Pit, she kept the same trollish and vain personality that made me love her in Uprising. I just about lost it when she said "Oh, I'm not here to save you, Pit. I'm here for a little...umm...divine intervention." The cheesy one-liners from Uprising were one of the reasons why I loved that game. I'm glad to see them paying homage to it.
Palutena was an obvious pick, but I still think she looks fun to play. Her use of the powers in Uprising has turned her into a very interesting and unique fighter; I can't wait to try her out. I don't think she'll usurp Rosalina as my main, but she'll be a secondary at the very least. Maybe she could be my FFA main.

Pac-Man: 80%

I think he's awesome. Pac-Man is a classic gaming icon that has a unique moveset and playstyle. While I don't think I'll use him much, I'll at least try him out. I love the fact he's in because it is now possible to have a 4-player match with Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man; 4 gigantic gaming icons from 4 different companies. No other video game IN HISTORY can make this claim.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
"No Namco Character" Deconfirmed
"Non-Ghostly Adventures Pac-man" Confirmed
Tingle and Shadow Deconfirmed (Assist Trophies)

Here is an idea for when we return to normal schedule:
Day 1 - Rerate "Gematsu Leak," Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men all in the same day. The reasoning for this is that if you rate Gematsu Leak as 100%, you're going to rate those three as 100%. If you don't, you're probably going to rate all three of them differently. They all go hand-in-hand, so I think we should rate them all in the same day.

Day 2 - Rerate Marshal, Karate Joe, Rhythm Wrestler, and Rhythm Monkey all together. If Chorus Men are confirmed, Rhythm Heaven probably isn't getting a second rep. or maybe some people think the opposite. Or maybe some people think the leaker is confused, and only Marshal is the rep. I would also recommend rating Tap Trials Girl for the first time as well.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Miis: 20%

They look like well designed, interesting characters. But why on earth make THREE OF THEM?! This probably took up a lot of development time, time that could be spent on another all star character. Just... no! I won't be using them often, if at all, and how much effort was put into them realllllllyyy bugs me.

Palutena: 50%

I was surprised, but I wasn't that hyped to see her. I was already 100% sure that Palutena was playable in Smash Bros, that Direct tease was a dead giveaway. But it's hard to be hyped for something you already knew was going to happen. I see people online that got so excited about Yoshi finally getting revealed. I mean, come on! Were you worried he wouldn't be?!

The trailer was good, but had no suspense to it whatsoever. They should have swapped Palutenas for Pacman. Speaking of which...

Pacman: 90%

I am truly shocked to say this, as I didn't really want him in beforehand, but Pacman was the character that legitimately got me hyped to play as. He looks like so much fun to play as, they really went all out with his moveset, and his trailer was short, simple, and fantastic.

The only reason he isn't 100% is for 2 things. A) I hate HOW they revealed him and B) it severely lowers the chances of other third party characters getting into the game.

andimidna

Smash Master
"No Namco Character" Deconfirmed
"Non-Ghostly Adventures Pac-man" Confirmed
Tingle and Shadow Deconfirmed (Assist Trophies)

Here is an idea for when we return to normal schedule:
Day 1 - Rerate "Gematsu Leak," Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men all in the same day. The reasoning for this is that if you rate Gematsu Leak as 100%, you're going to rate those three as 100%. If you don't, you're probably going to rate all three of them differently. They all go hand-in-hand, so I think we should rate them all in the same day.

Day 2 - Rerate Marshal, Karate Joe, Rhythm Wrestler, and Rhythm Monkey all together. If Chorus Men are confirmed, Rhythm Heaven probably isn't getting a second rep. or maybe some people think the opposite. Or maybe some people think the leaker is confused, and only Marshal is the rep. I would also recommend rating Tap Trials Girl for the first time as well.
If he doesn't want 4 in one day:
Put the leak and only Chorus Men together-because he's dependent on the leak and the others aren't.
Then Chrom and Shulk together. The current top 2. Also in the leak.

And for Rhythm Heaven characters, maybe Rhythm Wrester and Rhythm Monkey together in 1 day and Marshal and Karate Joe together. Fits by name and likelihood by how they're rated at the moment.

Ridley, Snake, and others need re-rates too.

Burigu

Smash Ace
.Palutena: 5%
MONADO DARK PIT STAFF, FLAME SHIELD ME!
I absolutely hated Palutena's reveal trailer for a lot of reasons. Here's why:
-I feel like Pac-man should have been revealed at e3 in her place.
- Absolutley so suspense as to who will be revealed. The trailer starts, and there is a shot of Palutena's chest.
- I didn't like the art style used. I didn't like the KIU cartoon that I did watch, and I really liked the previous animated sequences.
-The KIU spoilers were a slap in the face to those who hadn't played the game (myself fortunately not included)
- Why does Palutena warrant additional special moves? I really didn't find this necessary.
- Why is there dialogue? I want to focus on the action, not Palutena telling me about herself.Most of the dialogue is Palutena being an upbeat jerk to Pit, which is true to the franchise, but made it difficult to focus on Palutena herself. but in the same way that Jason being nearly impossible to kill in the Friday the 13th video game is true to the franchise, but isn't any fun to watch or play.

I liked the Link vs. Pit battle though, and am also hopeful about the inclusion of Dark Pit.
I don't want to start a "flame war" with you these are just my thoughts behind yours
  • Little Mac's trailer wasn't that "oh who is that boxer?" it was obvious from the begining, the whole trailer also has speech. So I guess you disliked his trailer too.
  • Are you saying you didn't like Palutena's revolting dinner?
  • Smash is a great SPOIL OTHER GAMES FRANCHISE, in these days is very hard to not being spoiled so if you want to avoid spoiler better not being in the internet.
  • KIU has been out for a while now, everybody that buys Smash and not anyother game from the franchises represented in it would end up spoiled, What are TROPHIES? collectable spoilers, stages are also considered spoilers (some of them), really if you want to see or hear something about smash and not being spoiled at least a bit you are doing it wrong. I fail to see how this affect you since you were not spoiled, it is like saying you are mad because other people can't go on vacation.
  • I fail to see how having more moves is a bad thing every character has 12 specials now the difference is that hers are all different you can take that as an advantage or disadvantage, in the past people complained because of clones and now people complain because they got something unique? I don't get it
  • The being a jerk part to Pit is an exageration: the lines "I am not here to save you Pit" and "anything an angel can do a goddess can do better" are hardly being a jerk or saying that the "whole time she was"
  • There is less than a minute of Palutena gameplay in the whole trailer, it's hard to belive that voices distracted you enough, seriously less than a minute (you can always rewatch it if really missed that action packed gameplay), sometimes people complain nintendo characters never speak but now are mad too because they do?
  • Dark Pit might only confirm Pit's pallete will have Dark Pit's voice we shall see

The whole trailer was a tribute to the true Kid Icarus fans and it did its job really well.
I am not here to start a FLAME WAR, which I think is kind of rude for people like me that only want to exchange opinions, I am ok with you don't liking her and I don't want or expect to convince you, but I find some of your reason not really that related to the character herself, but to outside factors that hardly matter. Have a nice day/night. :)

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
If he doesn't want 4 in one day:
Put the leak and only Chorus Men together-because he's dependent on the leak and the others aren't.
Then Chrom and Shulk together. The current top 2. Also in the leak.

And for Rhythm Heaven characters, maybe Rhythm Wrester and Rhythm Monkey together in 1 day and Marshal and Karate Joe together. Fits by name and likelihood by how they're rated at the moment.

Ridley, Snake, and others need re-rates too.
I think we should just rate "non-chorus men Rhythm Heaven rep."
Spacing them all out is just gonna net a whole lot of zeroes.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
-Mii Fighters: 33%
I gotta be honest. I really didn't like the idea of Mii. I don't like the fact that they're taking 3 character movesets. It takes me back to the day of "3 Rabbids" of TMNT:Smash Up. But at least you can change how THESE look.
I'm not as bitter to them as I should because... well, it's already done. And two, I like to think that several SSE Prymids were sacrificed to make them.
At least now I can sort of include more SEGA characters such as Vectorman, Joe Musashi, or more Capcom characters like Protoman and Viewtiful Joe. Not that I wanted them in in this game, though. But it is what it is.

-Palutena 60%
I'm not exactly leaping of joy, because I still think Kid Icarus is a small series. I let Palutena slide because she's a pretty lady and a Godess no less. But just saying, there are other IPs with as many games or more that still don't have a playable character representing them.
It was cool seeing such a wild variety of moves. It was truly overwhelming. I kinda got mad at seeing a recticle-based move because that could have easily gone to Saki Amamiya, from a franchise that didn't genre-swap halfway through.
But, I am mildly pleased. Palutena is a character that's easy to like. And I AM a Kid Icarus fan (the retro ones at least, I still haven't played Uprising). So it's good to see this franchise is growing. That intro was also very hype. All of these intros are becoming quite artistic, so it was a cool touch having anime representing Palutena. (Now hoping Takamaru represents either feudal Japan scroll style, or old manga style).

-Pacman 75%
....Pacman was actually pretty hype. I had become indifferent at the thought of his inclusion, because I was wrongfully thinking he'd have a generic moveset consisting of rolls and stuff based on Ghostly Adventures (which for its game looked fine, but for SSB it looked like stuff plenty other characters could already do).
However, what we got instead, was a love letter from Namco. So many references to past Namco games, I couldn't help form a smile on my face.
He also looks fun to play. At the end of the day, this is almost what matters mostly, right?

-
With all this said... I was kind of disappointed because I felt like there were no "surprises". But I guess I can only blame myself for keeping up with the leaks. I do hope we get some sucker punches sometime soon. These three were painfully obvious inclusions. :(

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mii Fighter Satisfaction: 80%
The execution of Mii was far less horrendous than I originally was expecting; the Mii have good proportions, NO floating sphere hands(something I always hated about the Mii design last gen) and the fact they're not using random sports equipment is a huge plus.
The news that they have so much customization filled me with dread about playing online, since I feared everyone would just play the best set up for Mii once it'd been discovered and nothing else(see Mario Tennis on the 3DS for details) but it appears Sakurai also realised this and banned them from "With Anyone" mode.

The trailer for them was a tiny bit more hype than I was expecting, and I guess Mega Bidoof got his wish with playable Reggie now.

I like the costumes, and am intrigued exactly HOW much character costume customization you can get with those hats and outfits. Doesn't exactly help out fans of non human characters, and it's a wooden spoon prize at best, but it is something. Brawler Mii incidentally looks like the one I'll enjoy the most.

Palutena Satisfaction: 50%
I am still no less neutral on her than before. Her moveset didn't exactly hype me up, but having not played Kid Icarus: Uprising, I clearly am not getting the appeal of it.

Goddess of Light using black holes in her Final Smash I found deliciously ironic, especially since the Goddess of Space isn't using them in hers. Made even funnier when Megaman was revealed to also use a black hole in his FS.
Overall her moves mainly appeared as variations on things we'd seen before, which is fine I guess, but I was expecting something more exciting from Smashboards 'Elite Four' Goddess.

Trailer was cute, but I can honestly say the best bits weren't Palutena; Link Vs. Pit and Dark Pit at the end there were by far the highlights. Very happy for the fans though and am glad they got their wish.

Pac-Man: 100%
Wakka wakka wait! I finally got a newcomer I wanted?!? More excitingly is he actually appears to be very expressive, fun to play as and his trailer was pretty fun, especially the little bit at the end with Game and Watch.

Having been along for the ride with Pacack and the other Pac-Man Supporters seeing him revealed, especially after all the bile and hatred that's been flung at him on these forums, has been extremely satisfying.

No Ghostly Adventures design(which is good, since that's technically Pac-Man's son anyway unless I'm mistaken) is a big ol' plus as those teeth turn Pac from eating his enemies being cute to terrifying.

Some of his moveset IS however a little questionable; he can summon Namco characters? Why the fire hydrant over more iconic aspects of Pac-Man?
But overall I'm very pleased. I like he can bring forth the Ghosts for example, and liked that they're 8 bit even more.

First newcomer that's made a purchase totally worthwhile for me for SSB4, which is a huge relief as I haven't exactly had the best luck with my wants in the past.

Just for the heck of it, total E3 satisfaction: 100%
  • Yoshi's Wooly World is shaping up to look really exciting. Better than Kirby's Epic Yarn and far better looking than Yoshi's New Island. As a Yoshi fan this only brings me joy.
  • I was actually hopeful for the Amiibo figures to be Smash compatible. I got my wish!
  • Pac-Man in Smash was obviously huge.
  • Splatoon looks quite fun. A little Monday Night Combat, but that's not a bad thing.
  • Wasn't hugely impressed with the Giant Robot game. Customization looks great but the gameplay's minimal.
  • The most obvious huge plus for me; Toad...nay; CAPTAIN Toad is getting his own video game! One without Wario's name in the title too! It's also NOT an E-Shop title like many suspected AND is compatible with the Amiibo figures, showing they have faith in the title to do fairly well at least. Looking forward to this, and it certainly takes the edge off Toad missing out on Smash...unless DLC happens post game, and then it's not looking too bad for Captain Toad.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pac-Man Satisfaction: 95% :4pacman:

This is kinda shocking for me.

Aside from the arcade games and various versions of those, I've never played a Pac-Man game. Aside from knowing who he is, I have little connection to the character. And for some reason, this guy has me hyped beyond belief. He's a love letter. He's fan service. He's just not Pac-Man.

He's Retro Namco the character and I love it.

Not only that, but they used his beloved design instead of his questionable new one even when everyone was expecting them to use the new one. Fans gave their blessing and were ready to accept Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man. But they didn't do it and pulled the best move possible. That's listening to fans. That's going the extra mile. He looks great and he's full of personality. And he looks like a blast to play.

To be honest, his trailer and his gameplay have actually gotten me interested in Pac-Man games.

I might have to play Pac-Man World if I can find it.

And that's the thing I love about Smash. It teaches me about new game series and makes me want to try them for myself. That's the true heart of the series. It's what makes Smash so special. I never thought I would have a desire to play a Pac-Man game and I was wrong.

I'm really happy to be wrong.

Only real downside I can think of is that Snake is probably gone. But I can't really blame Pac-Man for that. :snake:

Mii Fighters Satisfaction:80% :4mii:

Let's make this clear.

I like Miis. I've liked Miis for a long time. I never really understood why people hate them.

They're avatars, yeah. But they are also much more than that.

They're history. Icons of an era. Celebration of what Nintendo is now and what they have been for quite some time. That alone is kind of appealing.

I also enjoy their games. Story time! Originally, I thought they were lame. I was open at first and willing to give them a shot but they just seemed weird to me. Wii Sports was a fun distraction and Wii Play was a cool tech demo. But after that I lost interest in them. They seemed lame and the games they were in were mediocre at best. Later they started to show up in Mario Kart and such. I didn't really care. I didn't question it. I just proceeded not to use them. They were just boring avatars to me.

But then one day a friend brought Wii Party over. He wanted to show it to me and we needed something a lot of people could play as his little brothers wanted to join us. I accepted but was expecting a subpar Mario Party clone (and at that point Mario Party was pretty stale). But then I played it.

It was actually really fun.

Like REALLY fun.

I never expected to have that much fun with it. I was blown away. Miis starred in a great game! So great that I plan on getting Wii Party U when I get a Wii U.

Still, I kind of saw it as a fluke. I loved Wii Party but it was just one game.

Later still, my friend got a Wii U and with it Nintendo Land! We were all excited to try the new console and were expecting a good game this time. People seemed to love this one and the Nintendo version of Disneyland idea was charming.

We were right. It was super fun.

At this point I was liking Miis. Not much, but I didn't see them as annoying.

But here's the big one.

I got a Nintendo 3DS.

I was hyped. So many great games to play but one of the most addicting was one I never even knew existed.

Streetpass Puzzle Swap and Find Mii.

These games really stuck out with me. Puzzle Swap got my love of collecting things and the little 3D presentations were neat to look at. Find Mii was special though. It was an adventure. One with plot and characters (simple as heck but stiil there). It was this game that changed my mind. After beating the Dark Emperor, I knew that Miis were characters. And that they did have their own identity. It's kinda complicated to put into words but Find Mii is what made Mii positive for me. I was ecstatic when we got a Find Mii stage.

So yeah, Miis are special to me. :p

Gameplay wise, they look okay but some things bug me. First, there's three of them which is a double edged sword.

More gameplay that looks really fun and full of charm, but it's all spent on Miis. It feels like a wasted opportunity.

Even then, they're borrowing moves from other characters. What gives? That bugs me too.

Still, I'm excited to play as them.

Palutena Satisfaction: 75% :4palutena:

If the posts above me are any indication, Palutena has some... passionate fans. So it may be a death sentence that I put Miis over her but here me out.

I love Palutena and wanted her in for a long time and I am happy that she's in. She looks fun and I can't wait to play her.

The stuff that got me was a bit odd but it's my honest feelings.

The trailer was awesome. The anime fight was cool and looked beautiful. Everyone was in character! It looked amazing.

Then the gameplay happened.

I kinda don't like her model. I don't know why and I'm not sure if I can really put a finger on it, but I suppose it's part of what I'm about next.

Her gameplay didn't seem in character. She has this regal look which is perfect, but there's no sense of playfulness which is a key part of her character. The dialogue during the gameplay was fine, but the in game footage was so... serious. Her expression is so stoic when she's really not a stoic character. She's playful, witty and fun. It just seemed odd and a bit off putting.I feel like her character isn't being protrayed as well as it could be.

Her gameplay was everywhere and not in a good way. It was distracting and nothing really flowed. Then I learned that she's getting special treatment. I'm sorry but I'm starting to get sick of Kid Icarus content everywhere.

AND I LOVE KID ICARUS!

His bias is showing and it's starting to get a little grating.

Still, overall, I'm happy and excited to try her!

Don't kill me Palutena fans...

So how do you like my novel?

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Mii Fighter Satisfaction: 70%
Most of what gets the large satisfaction is the epic fight Reggie and Iwata had. But as much as a Mii detractor I was, I'm glad with the way the Mii turned out. They actually seem like they fit in the game just fine, and I personally love the Brawler Mii. Heck, I can play as Reggie now for Smash Bros too, which is a plus. I also loved how Sakurai was teasing Miiverse with their request for real people, thus he showed Lincoln, Elijah Wood, and Ice-T, that made my day.

Palutena Satisfaction:100%
She's the first newcomer that I've been wanting for a long while to be revealed. I've been a large supporter of her for quite a while, and I love how they created her reveal trailer, Smash Anime, anyone? I also love her attacks and like how her personality is played into the game. The Dark Pit tease at the end also caught me off guard, which is always a plus from me. After seeing her, Palutena hype filled me the whole day.

Pac-Man Satisfaction:85%
I was pretty hyped, to say the least when Pac-Man was revealed, I love his attacks and how he looks too. It'd probably be 95% Satisfaction if we saw his trailer first, as hearing it on Twitter wasn't really the best way to reveal him to the entire public.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'm surprised so many people were able to get hyped over Pac-Man after he just kind of showed up, and wasn't part of anything.
Huh. Where were you guys when we rated Pac-Man before he was confirmed? :laugh:

Also, pretty shocked to see some of these scores for Palutena just because people expected her. All 3 of these were mostly expected...
Also, I'm still waiting for some kid to come in and say "platena 0% omg shes so op like godess teir, she make meta knight look like jigglydorf omg get out now"

Then whatever rating "non-chorus kids Rhythm Heaven rep" gets, give it to all the Rhythm Heaven characters that have been rated.
Eh, I don't think many people would rate those characters equally. It would be inaccurate.
Also, Rhythm Wrestler has the highest want score of any Rhythm Heaven character rated so far, so I don't think that they're all zeros.
None of these 3 were dependent on the leak, so I doubt everybody thinks its real. And a Rhythm Heaven character could happen without the leak. So I think they're worth rating. We have until October now, we don't need to rush.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Mii Fighter: 40% On one hand, the different movesets all look pretty cool with the flashy spin kicks and laser cannons and such. But what really bugs me is how the movesets don't draw on anything, they're just a bunch of generic moves. We had Miis in Wii Play, Wii Party, the street pass games, and a few other things to draw a bunch of really cool moves from, but we went with this instead. And I don't get to run Link over with a cow. They look fun, but I would quickly trade them for any other Nintendo character, and I share the sentiment about them getting too effort.

Palutena: 65% She looks really cool, don't get me wrong, but I think Swamp really hit on the head: her trailer did not show her off very well. It is cool that they went with the heavenly powers for her specials, but there was just too much focus on how there were a ton of them and it made the character seem very scattered, especially with custom move sets still up in the air for competitive play. I guess my point is that I don't really feel like I know what I'm getting if I choose Palutena based on her trailer alone outside of "this chick has a cluster**** of different moves."

Pac-Man: 90% I never thought I would be excited for Pac-Man. I'd always be sitting around going "What can you really give the guy outside of eating stuff?" and I decided that he would end up with a sort of "generic 3d platformer" moveset. What a fool I was! How fitting that Pac-Man and Game and Watch share their birth year: Pac-man is Namco Museum: the Character and I could not be happier to see how cool it looks in action. Being a huge fan of Game and Watch's moveset, I think I will certainly have to give him a try. And he's so friggen' adorable too! The Pac is back, baby!

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Gotta say, I'm really glad to see so many people are changing their minds on Pac-Man.

TheDMonroeShow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3695-0037-2189
I was actuallt debating on posting considering i think my opinion is the general consensus.

Palutena -100%
Easily my most wanted character and possibly one of my favorite nintendo gals since uprising. I really think she deserves the spot and i really cant wait to get ahold of her and test her out. Not to mention to see if she gets any competetive use.

Pac-man - 45%
Gonna be honest i still dont really care for pacman, its not that hes a bad choice there is just so many better choices that plenty of people have brought up already.

I am pretty happy they went for the retro look though, if they went for the new style this would probably be reading zero. All and all the pac is alright but as for the other fighter..

Miis - 10%
Like many people i hated the idea of miis and i still kind of do. I actually do think they did something way more interesting then I thought we'd get BUT

They also seemed to have wasted way more development time in the process of this far more then the miis deserve when they could of been using it to add more characters to the game or just general improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom