• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnicornDemon

Smash Journeyman
Ridley- 0.05%, If Sakurai was teasing him as a playable character, why wouldn't he be revealed before release? That makes little sense. The final nail in the coffin was the shadow tease of Metal Face at the end of the Shulk trailer. Metal Face was teased in the exact same way as Ridley, and it's not like Metal Face is going to be a playable character
As for my want score...

... 100% ... :crying:

K. Rool- 5%, He doesn't have much going for him other than popularity.
Want- 80%, I like him. He makes me smile.

Mewtwo- 20%, He'll probably be DLC. I doubt a character this hype would be on the launch roster yet remain unrevealed.
Want- 80%, I like him and want him back. If he comes back I hope he has a more creative moveset which fully capitalizes on his psychic powers. I didn't like his Melee moveset.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Well, in honor of the last time I plan on rating a character (Unless by some weird-*** reason we rate Ridley or K. Rool again) I’m gonna be going all out.

And, just some last more general words.

While I haven’t necessarily posted a lot in this game in the past year, I’ve been with this game since before many of the more frequent participants even had accounts. It’ll be sad to see it go once character speculation dies down. (Though, I suppose it could move on to other kinds of Wii U speculation as well.)

Groose and Co., you’ve done an excellent job carrying (the artist formally known as) Super Smash Bros. Fan’s torch. I hope when Smash 5, err, 6, roles around we’ll be able to see this game's return. It’s been a fun ride, and I hope the next time is even better!

And I also hope that next time we’ll be rating the chance of Ridley, the veteran, returning for another installment.
"Unless by some weird-*** reason we rate Ridley or K. Rool again"

Dang it, Groose! That was supposed to be my last post here! I even did the heart-warming goodbye and everything!
Everything is ruined! Gaaaaaaa-

Ah, yes, "The Big 3."
Why did people start calling them that?
I miss the "good" ol' days when we had the "Elite Four."
Mega Man, Ridley, Little Mac, and King K. Rool. The champion is Mewtwo.
It's still that, really. It doesn't matter if two of them are confirmed. They're the Smashbords Elite Four!
Anyway...
Mewtwo
Chance: 99%
"We're thinking about it."
Well, Mr. Sakurai, you claimed the roster was finalized in 2012. You said the above in 2013.
As far as I'm concerned, unless time constraints come into play (again), Mewtwo is near-guaranteed.
I would not have the "near-" if it weren't for Sakurai being Sakurai.

Want: 100%
I'd give most veterans a high score.
When a character is in Smash, the get a following.
Mewtwo's following is so large that when he was cut from Brawl, he became the most popular character to be included in the next game.
As far as I'm concerned, Mewtwo's popularity is enough reason for me to want him in the game.
Add that to the fact that, despite being pretty bad, I loved using Mewtwo in Melee, and I'd love to see him come back looking and feeling better than ever, and I can't help but give him a full score. Granted, as I said, I'd give most if not all veterans a full score simply for being veterans. That's just how I roll.
King K. Rool
Chance: 90%
I feel as though that anything that may go against K. Rool is really out of my scope of prediction skills.
I mean, maybe, Sakurai doesn't want anymore big reptile characters, or something, but I wouldn't know that.
All I know is that I'm pretty confident in three newcomers (and Mewtwo), and I'm not completely confident that we're getting more than that.
That said, however, I'm still pretty confident in K. Rool.
*sigh*

Chance: Abstain
I'll be honest... I'm not confident now...at all. I have no idea what to think, really.
I just can't bring myself to give him a low score...

Want: 99%
I've said before that the only newcomer I want more than K. Rool is Ridley.
That's still true.
I rate K. Rool highly solely for the fact that he has so many fans that would love to see him and because I have much personal interest in the character. I'm interested in his potential moves, his character, the music that would no doubt come along with his inclusion, and I love playing as villains... He's just such a kool cool character!
The reasons I want K. Rool just aren't something that are worth going into with some extremely long post or anything like that.
I wish I could, since I really like doing that, but... It's just so simple and straightforward!
Unlike a bunch of my most wanted newcomers, I don't have some personal tale that makes me want K. Rool so much.
I just find him very appealing as a potential fighter! Even more so than Ridley, my most wanted newcomer. But Ridley has all of the external, less direct reasons that make me want him so much, hence why he's higher than K. Rool...slightly.
Dixie Kong... I hope you're worth it...

And...
The Big Guy Himself, Ridley

So, Groose, I know you and a lot of others are big fans of the Phoenix Wright franchise, yeah?

Well, in honor of the last time I plan on rating a character (Unless by some weird-*** reason we rate Ridley or K. Rool again) I’m gonna be going all out.

But just doing plain ol’ Phoenix Wright has been done. Ohoho, no, that wouldn’t leave enough of an impact!

Instead, I'm going to...

break you.

If by the end I have destroyed the Phoenix Wright fandom, then I have done my job! :troll:
Oh, and I'll be honest , I've never actually played an Ace Attorney game, so I have no idea what I'm doing! :troll:

The court is now in session for the probability of Ridley from Metroid being a playable character in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.
Mr. Wright, how do y-

Y-you’re not Phoenix Wright!

No, I’m not. I’m Haruhi Suzumiya, your honor, and I’ll be taking the aforementioned attorney’s place today. See, ordinary “Rate Their Chances” posts involving Phoenix Wright are unoriginal and uninteresting. Though I assure you, your honor, I will provide a much stronger case than he ever has.

Umm-uh… Well… Okay…then…

I declare that Ridley is, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a playable character.

And… What say the…

Oh, of course, no Mr. Edgeworth either.

I apologize for the sudden change and confusion, your honor. My name is Itsuki Koizumi, and I’ll be taking Mr. Miles Edgeworth’s place today. I proclaim that Ridley is, as was hinted at, a stage hazard on Pyrosphere.

…*sigh* I don’t feel like dealing with this today. You two can handle this without me, yes? Of course you can. Good day.

He… left… Are judges even allowed to do that?

Let’s not delve on that for now and just continue as usual. I’m sure we can still have a civil enough discussion. Why don’t you present your case first, Ms. Suzumiya?

Okay then... Ridley is, without a doubt, a playable character. Mr. Sakurai has merely been “hyping up” Ridley. It’s a logical conclusion, and is based off of three facts:

First, Mr. Sakurai always fully shows nonplayable characters and illuminates on their role. He has done this much more bluntly with some of the more popular characters such as Ashley, Waluigi, and Skull Kid.

Second, Nintendo, and Mr. Sakurai, do listen to fans. Even though it was used as the butt of a joke, Nintendo acknowledged the outcry for a localized Mother 3 and a new Star Fox game in their Digital Event at this year’s E3. Regardless of whether they go through with either, though they’ve gone through with one those things, it still shows that they are aware of what their fans want. Mr. Sakurai even said in the Smash Direct that he has “player expectations to fulfill” when introducing Lucario’s mega evolution.

And lastly, Ridley, whether positively, negatively, or neutrally, is one of the most talked about character with regards to Smash Bros.
Ridley Smash4 videos, whether they be Shokio's or whoever's, get many views for a reason. GameFAQs gets those tons a Ridley troll threads for a reason. The Ridley support thread is, by far, the largest character support thread on Smashboards for a reason.

Now, Koizumi, surely we can both agree on these three things, yes?

I suppose I can, at the very least, accept them with some degree of truth.

Good, then we arrive at what happened during the fateful moment in the Smash Direct.

Ridley’s shadow on Pyrosphere.

“Boss characters make appearances on other stages, not just this one.”

Or, perhaps better to present, the original un-translated version of what Mr. Sakurai said: “他にもボスキャラ系の仕掛けが登場.” Which roughly translates to “other boss character system gimmicks come up.”

“Oh, Ridley, stage hazard on Pyrosphere. Okay, see ya. I'm not sure why they didn't just show him and say his name, but oh well.” A conclusion came to by many. And it’s understandable to come to such a conclusion based on this alone.

But I’m not basing my case on just this! When considering those three facts I stated before, it makes Mr. Sakurai’s course of action with Ridley seem a lot more suspicious! Why ambiguously “show” one of the most talked about characters in a non-playable role when he’s very aware so many people desire said character to be playable?

Because it’s in order to “hype up” Ridley’s reveal as, in reality, a playable character and make it incredibly unexpected for most people. What better way to surprise people than with a character that most though was flat-out disconfirmed? He knows that people clamor on and on about Ridley, whether for or against. If Ridley isn’t playable, then he would have no reason to act out of his own disconfirming norm. Why prepare people for a kick in the groin when he could instead just do it immediately like he’s done with every other character? The answer is that he wouldn’t. In one of his own columns Famitsu, Mr. Sakurai himself wrote that he does not like to create “needless speculation.” But if Ridley is actually playable, then that would mean the speculation his shadow nonsense ensued not “needless,” but actually serve as a form of “hype building.”

With all these things considered, there’s only one logical conclusion!

While I can see how such a conclusion is logical, it’s based on a very important assumption being made.

You are assuming Mr. Sakurai views these “boss character system gimmicks” as just as important as any other way in which a character is not playable. Mr. Sakurai first showed us the Yellow Devil in a rather vague way. Granted, it was clear he was not playable, but it was not clear exactly what purpose he served. Many speculated it would be a mere stage hazard, while others considered it a glimpse at the return of boss battles from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. We were only provided actual insight into how this “gimmick” will work through giving the Yellow Devil its very own section in the Super Smash Bros. Direct, and he spent a noticeable amount of time discussing exactly how the gimmick in question works. Such actions seem to convey the belief that what seem like merely glorified stage hazards to us are actually very important pieces of the game that are worth treating in a “hype building” way. In short, who is to say that Mr. Sakurai does or does not think that these “gimmicks” are worth “hyping up?” Who is to say that the speculation induced by “boss characters” is “needless” in Mr. Sakurai’s eyes?

If I assume Mr. Sakurai does see these “boss characters” as something worth causing a stir about, then I can also make the argument that it makes sense to only show the shadow. By not clearly showing anything regarding Ridley’s design, besides his tail briefly making it into the shot, or his exact method of attack, Mr. Sakurai could induce speculation regarding how Ridley as a “boss character” on Pyrosphere will function. How could we know if he views such speculation as “needless?” It would certainly make sense if he does not, and this goes into my own answer to the question regarding why Mr. Sakurai has not shown Ridley in any shape or form since the Smash Direct. In the case that Ridley is indeed a “boss character” on Pyrosphere, it would presumably be a Wii U exclusive. Leaving speculation regarding Smash Bros. for Wii U is important because it comes out after Smash Bros. for 3DS. As has been made clear, we’ll know the entire roster of playable characters before the Wii U version comes out due to it sharing its roster with the 3DS version. This is also why we probably have not seen anything regarding single player modes in the Wii U version; it is because Mr. Sakurai wants to keep as much speculation towards that version open so as to not let the “hype die down,” as one might say.

And all of this was based on my assumption which is the exact opposite of yours.

So, with my argument proposed, Ms. Suzumiya, I ask you this: Why is your assumption a safer one than my own?

Because it's based off more substantial analysis!

If what you assume is true, then it would mean that Mr. Sakurai doesn’t know what fans actually care about the most! It would mean that he is out of touch with his own fans. And if the changes to physics, online, and the inclusion of Mega Man, Little Mac, and Palutena are anything to go by, he certainly isn’t out of touch when developing these games.

He said it himself when he began discussing the playable characters in the Smash Direct:

“And now what you’ve all been waiting for: the fighters.”

It’s the characters that cause most of the mountains of speculatory discussion. It’s the characters that get the trailers. It's the characters that get sections on the official website. It’s the characters that seemingly get vague hints. Yellow Devil may have been showed in a somewhat vague way that didn’t quite make its role clear, but it was clear that it wasn’t a playable character. With Ridley it’s different. It’s possible to argue that Ridley is playable based on what we’ve seen and the context surrounding it. But that isn’t even what I’m talking about when I said “more substantial analysis.”

This is where we get into the analysis of what we’ve actually been given: the shadow.

The Ridley Support Thread has gone through tons of analysis regarding the shadow and has come up with very interesting findings of which I will show the most pertinent.
I’ll trust that the second post of the Ridley Support Thread, specifically the “SHADOW EVIDENCE” section, will provide the crux of the necessary analysis I am speaking of.

All Mr. Sakurai did by just showing the shadow was imply that there is something worth hiding in regards to Ridley. You’re right, he could just want to hide details of Ridley’s boss appearance and mannerisms, but if the shadow analysis tells me anything, it’s that Mr. Sakurai went out of his way to make a Ridley model that not only moves in a rather odd way when compared to all other bosses we’ve seen in Super Smash Bros., but is also of a seemingly playable size.

So, now, the question: why would Mr. Sakurai go out of his way to make Ridley relatively small just to be a stage hazard on a rather large stage, and why would he make this boss’ mannerisms seemingly unprepared to actually deal with fighters?

It’s because Ridley isn’t actually a “boss character!”

A rather solid case, Ms. Suzumiya, but an immediate problem to both of us just occurred to me.

And that would be…?

With the judge gone… We aren’t able to get a ruling

I suppose we’ll just wait until the game comes out then.

Okay, no more. You get the point! I’m also sure that that’s enough fandom-ruining for now.
Gods, I had to rip and resize all of those GIFs on my own. It was worth it though!

Groose, I give Ridley a 99% chance of being playable. I acknowledge the fact that the other side is not exactly unfounded. Far from it, but I think that my own stance is well-grounded as well! I have much confidence and, after being rather confident in Stage Hazardley for some months after the Smash Direct, am fully prepared in what I think to be the 1% chance that I’m completely wrong in analyzing Sakurai’s ways.
Funny thing is that, now, I have even more reason to think Ridley's playable, but I'm still only going to give 99% Chance.
I'm so tempted to give 100% Chance. I'd love too.
But then I'd be going against my own philosophy on probability. There's a chance, however arbitrarily small, that I'm wrong. :p

Just like last time.
And the time before that.
blahblahblah
No character deserves playability more than Ridley.
No fanbase deserves to see their character be playable more than Ridley's.
Short and sweet, but here's the long version...
shrooby said:
Now, onto the...big one.

I'll be honest, I've never completed a Metroid game. Heck, up until I played (But didn't complete) Super Metroid a year or two ago I had never even played a Metroid game. The series never interested me, bar my recent urge to try out the previously mentioned Super and, more recently, Prime. (Though I've only played about an hour of each.) However, even before I've ever touched a Metroid game, Ridley was my most wanted character for these games.
Up until 2011 I wasn't into speculation. I didn't really care what characters we got, I just kinda rolled with it. Ridley was the first character I legitimately supported and was the character that basically introduced me to this whole community. (Granted, back then it was just one single thread, but once character threads started popping up it really got moving.) So despite not having any attachment to the Metroid franchise as a whole, I do have much attachment to Ridley. And that goes into my first reason for wanting him: the satisfaction of seeing the first character I ever actually supported finally get his time to shine.
Another reason I want Ridley is to see his increasingly large hatebase finally get what-for. I like to see those that have personally insulted my views get what's coming to them when it's as something as arbitrary and, in the grand scheme of things, as insignificant as characters in a video game. This is the lesser of the reasons I will present, but I can't say it's not a reason either, so I still present it.
But now onto the actual reason I began supporting Ridley to begin with.
When I look for character that I want to see playable, the biggest thing I look for is if that character is important enough in their franchise and Nintendo as whole. If they're an "All-Star" if you want to call it that. Smash, the way I see it, is supposed to take these "All-Stars" and pit them against each other. The Smash roster is a list of Nintendo's finest. The greats, representative of big aspects of the world of this company that we all love. The way I see it, there is no character that should be included but hasn't yet more than Ridley.
Ridley, the main antagonist of the critically acclaimed Metroid franchise. A character that's existed since the NES days. A character as important to Metroid as Ganon(dorf) is to Zelda, if not even more-so. A character so ingrained in lore that the main character herself would not even be the character we know without his integral part in the backstory.
This huge franchise sets Ridley up as this incredibly important piece of this picture. Samus' mortal enemy that robbed her of everyone she knew, and set her up for the path that we were introduced to in the original game way back when.
The fact that such an important and long lasting character from such an important and long lasting franchise, an "All-Star" if you will, hasn't been included, at the time of learning all of this, astounded this 'ere new speculator. I read through the other character threads as well, granted. King K. Rool had my support. As did Mega Man, Little Mac, Mewtwo, what have you. But Ridley, was, is, and will always be at the top of my list. That is, until he's finally included.
I will reiterate my thoughts, and I care not if you disagree: of the characters that have not yet been playable in Super Smash Bros, there is no character more worthy of inclusion than Ridley. That alone is what gives my all the confidence I need to type the following...
Groose, mark my Want for Ridley as 100 percent. A rating I never did and never will give to any other possible newcomer for these iterations of Super Smash Bros.
Man...
Like I said before, I've been with this game for a long time. Since before many of the frequenters had accounts, even.
I may not post here as often as I did, but it's still sad to see it come to an end even if it means the game's finally coming out.
To the users running this game now, you've all done an excellent job of keeping the torch lit for this long. You all deserve pats on the back for your work and dedication to keeping Rate Their Chances going until the end. ;)

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't think there's much chance of any non-leak characters.

The thing about the All-Star mode picture, however, is encouraging as it doesn't outright rule out anything and it is confirmed (in case anyone doubted) that the lock means that not all characters are unlocked. So there is a chance. I just don't see it as very high. But I do think that if we're getting more characters, we're getting more than one. There's a bit of extra room on that CSS, and I think we'd get at least two.

That said...

Mewtwo
He has a decent chance. He's the most requested, he's a veteran, Sakurai's comments, etc. But we know Jigglypuff has returned (like I said before... Jigglypuff beat Mewtwo twice in the past...) so Mewtwo has to be the 6th Pokemon character. Adding in another Pokemon doesn't pose much of a problem for CSS arrangement though.

Mewtwo chances: 14%
Mewtwo want: 52%
I would've found it more cool right after I got Pokemon back in 1998. But now he's tainted by Melee. Overall I'm indifferent. Cool if he's in and revamped, not so happy if he comes back at Melee quality, fine if he's not in.

K Rool
K Rool's not mentioned in any leaks that are at all credible. Yeah, Kremlings have appeared, but I think Smash Run is going to reference a lot more than just the playable characters. People have been reading way too much into that (see: Polar Bear).

K Rool chances: 8%
K Rool want: 95%
One of my top wanted.

Ridley
I still maintain that there's something funny about the way Ridley has been teased. Now, Nintendo has shown itself to be less than masterful at marketing at times (see: the names "Wii U" and "New 3DS", Pac-Man closed-door reveal, New 3DS/Shulk Japan-only reveal, etc.), but even so, you gotta say there's at least some chance that they'd realize how deflating it would be to hype up Ridley... and then show him as a stage hazard, or AT. But the chance that he's in is starting to seem a lot smaller. But the teasing does give me some hope.

Ridley chances: 16%
Ridley want: 99.9%
My second most wanted, after Mega Man.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Chance all: 4% Add Ridley, you split up Metroid, Add K Rool, You split up Metroid, Add Mewtwo, you split up the retro characters(Push them both down and you split up the clones)

Ridley Want: 90% He has made me quite the metroid fan, and it saddens me that Sakurai would tease him this much just to have him what is basically a downgrade.

K Rool want: 50% better then Dixie but I don't care much about DK

Mewtwo want: 2% I would much rather have a diverse Pokemon lineup varying from many generations, especially since we already have 3 gen 1 Pokemon and Mewtwo already got his time in the spotlight. He also makes much more sense as DLC.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Mewtwo and Ridley both get a 99% chance from me.
I think its clear as day where I stand regarding these two. They deserve to make it in, not only due to popularity, but due to their relevance in the series they are in. If they don't make it in....Sakurai is out of his mind, and has gone out of his way to upset the fans who are practically begging him to add them.

King K Rool.....um....giving you a 15% chance.
Sorry....I really do love the guy, but his odds aren't adding up like they used to. Dixie seems to be stealing what ever spotlight he once had.
It's a shame too, considering the Kremlings are a part of Smash Run. This factor alone warrants him the 15% chance. Sakurai may be up to something.

Want for all of them is the same: 100%

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Ok, the last ratings. It's weird being here now, considering all the weeks stalking this game without an account and then eventually making one to bring up Porky's nominations.
And now it's the last time, and it's villain themed. So I'll be hotlinking themes to get in the mood, like I already did up there with Porky. (yes, he gets two)

Mewtwo
Chance - 80%
I'm pretty certain, but not entirely, that Mewtwo will return as this game's last unlockable (and apparently Wolf will become the new Mewtwo ... )
What really makes this huge for me is the mention Sakurai gave him, the tease in the Greninja trailer, and his key absence as compared to every other pokemon being clearly shown in that one trailer (well, sans Jigglypuff, but that's another return)

Want - 50%
Meh. Got him in Melee and Project M, and I still play him and enjoy him in Melee. Frankly, my interest in him dwindled as soon as Greninja happened, because while I loved using him, I'm more excited by the prospect of new pokemon.

King K. Rool
Chance- 25%
I gave Dixie a 75%, and I think it's reasonable to see both in competition for what I find to be a certain spot for a DK newcomer. The series is much too popular, the characters both have too much demand, for the DK series to get nothing. That would be a serious oversight.
I give the edge to Dixie though because of her mention in the ninka leak, as well as the fact my optimism is near depletion and being consumed by purple and rhythm.

Want - 100%
****ing yes man, just ... pleaaaase. Even if it means no Dixie, who I also like ... PUH-LEASE!!!

Ridley
Chance - 70%
Bring it. Hope has been dead for such a long time, but I'll bite into the whole Mewtwo, Dixie, CKs, Ridley belief.
It's time.
Two weeks left.
It can happen guys. And it will break the internet. And lead to the perfect Smash roster.

Or it could not happen and justify me giving this 70% instead of a full 100%, but yea ... I'm going irrational on this one. It's been a year since the stupid Pyrosphere pic of the day and still nothing. Gotta stay upbeat.

Want - 100%
This is the culmination of over ten years of Smash speculation. Since the Melee trailer we've been hoping, waiting, for Ridley. And here we are still hoping.
Come on Sakurai, just do it. You know people want it. Do it for the people!

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
To me, honestly, complaining about over-representation of Gen 1 Pokemon is a little like complaining about over-representation of characters from Super Mario Bros. 1 in the Mario series.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo and K. Rool

Chance: 50%

It could go either way.

Want: 90%

These characters are too important to be excluded.

Ridley

Want: 90%

Same opinion as Mewtwo and K. Rool.

Chance: 0.01%

You can argue that Sakurai was trolling with the shadow, but I have a few arguments against that:

1. Two words: Metal. Face.

At the end of the Shulk trailer, Metal Face's shadow appeared, which most likely hints at him being the boss of Gaur Plains. I cannot picture him actually being playable because he would look more ridiculous scaled down than people such as @ Shokio Shokio say Ridley would be. Why would one character's shadow alongside the words "other boss appearances" hint at a playable character while one without those hint at a boss? You can argue that Metal Face's shadow is hinting at a certain character (those who have gotten far enough in Xenoblade should know who I'm referring to), which is the only reason why my score isn't 0%.

2. The only boss we have seen the entirety of is the Yellow Devil.

I have a hunch that Sakurai is waiting to show off the rest of the bosses near the Wii U version's release date.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
King K. Rool
Chance: 75%, I'm probably one of the few people here to give him such a high score, but K. Rool sells himself really. I was far less confident in him... until I realize that K. Rool is the #1 most wanted Nintendo Newcomer. He's probably the most important and significant character never playable in Smash Bros., Sakurai knows we love the Kremlings, he's including references back to the Rare era, he's been teasing those damn Kritters quite often... I think he's holding out on DK content, including King K. Rool. Again, this isn't bias, I legitimately have had times where I doubted him, but I think his chances are still quite high, honestly.
Want: 100%, for obvious reasons. My #1 most wanted.

Mewtwo
Chance: 90%, there's literally nothing against Mewtwo whatsoever. Why add Dr. Mario before considering adding even Mewtwo? I'm sorry, but I think Mewtwo holds a higher priority than Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt, I think he was included well before them. Plus, he's the #1 most requested character PERIOD.
Want: 60%, I don't like Pokemon, my want is mainly due to the fact that I believe he SHOULD be playable.

Ridley
Chance: 95%, he's just been teased too damn much. If he wasn't playable, he should've been clarified and fully shown in the Smash Bros. Direct. Sakurai is blatantly teasing Ridley, why hype up a stage boss? Makes no sense, and Metal Face doesn't cut it. Ridley is one of the most requested characters worldwide and the main antagonist of the Metroid Series. Metal Face is an antagonist from one game. Also, no Pyrosphere on 3DS. Why would Ridley be the only stage boss NOT available on the 3DS?
Want: 90%. I want him, I think he deserves to be playable. But it wouldn't bother me too much if it turned out he wasn't. I just think he is, honestly.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
To me, honestly, complaining about over-representation of Gen 1 Pokemon is a little like complaining about over-representation of characters from Super Mario Bros. 1 in the Mario series.
Hey, but then we did get RosaLuma and Bowser Jr. from later Mario generations :4pacman:

Also, Pokemon has over 700 characters to draw from and there's several iconic ones who weren't in the original ones. In the case of pokemon, wanting representation of different generations (since different players start out with different games) is a valid argument.
Not for Mewtwo though, that thing is as eternal as Pikachu, Charizard and more Pikachu.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This feels so surreal, especially for those of you who've been here since Day 1 like me.

Ridley Chance: 1% Chance / 10% Want
I don't see any way how he can fit on the character select screen given the chronological roster theory. Looks like he might be skipping out again.

K. Rool Chance: 1% Chance / 15% Want
See above

Mewtwo Chance: 50% Chance / 100% Want
Literally the only thing I want from this game is Mewtwo's glorious HD return! I feel that if the select screen is missing anyone, it's him and there's a way to get him to fit on it too.

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, since we're rating the "hype 3" all in the same day, we know this Pic of the Day is going to be... big.
Come out Sakurai, we know you're here somewhere.

... I'll rate tomorrow, just in case.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Also, Pokemon has over 700 characters to draw from and there's several iconic ones who weren't in the original ones. In the case of pokemon, wanting representation of different generations (since different players start out with different games) is a valid argument.
You can want it, of course. It's all subjective. But the first is still going to be the most iconic. And IMO, I expect the earlier generations to have better designs. It's hard to put out 700 designs and not have the quality decline.

Mewtwo is, of course, still a special case anyway. It's not like they're going to put in Rattata just because it's Gen 1.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
It's hard to believe we've made it to the end. This thread has gone on for nearly a year, and its predecessors for longer, discussing and speculating the minutiae of the newest iterations of Super Smash Bros. While I've only been involved for barely more than two months, I really feel like I'm part of something here. I've started recognizing the regulars here and seeing them elsewhere in the forums, and even though there hasn't been much direct discussion that hasn't involved ratings or debate, there's still a level of camaraderie here that I'm proud to be a part of.

Ladies and gentlemen, or whatever you yourself may identify as...it's been an honor.
Let's end this!

Mewtwo

Want: 50%

The forgotten veteran, the perennial favorite, the only clone repeatedly requested by the fans. Based on what was found by hacking Brawl and taking a look under the hood, Mewtwo was well on to being coded and was likely only cut because the developers ran out of time. But could the newest games bring him redemption?

His answer, like that of so many others, is up in the air for another two weeks. There are arguments on both sides for whether the leaked roster is the final one. It's hard to trust further "leaks" at the moment, especially since he's thrown on practically all of them he gives them attention and apparent legitimacy. Even if he missed the initial roster, he could be a likely candidate for DLC if it comes to that.

Personally, I'm neutral on Mewtwo. I feel like he gets overhyped, and I was frustrated for a long time when I saw so many roster speculations put him in Lucario's place for little apparent reason other than being older. At the same time, though, I can see where the superfans are coming from, and he did have a unique moveset based around his powers. His appearance in the postgame of Pokemon X and Y and the two Mega forms gifted to him means he's still relevant nowadays...unlike a certain pink balloon whose moveset does a poor job of reflecting its species' abilities.

I may be neutral on him overall, but I'd be glad to see him make the roster...if only for the sake of the massive amount of people who want to see Mewtwo strike back.

King K. Rool

Want: 60%

Talk about your downers. The roster leak shows no newcomers from Donkey Kong Country? You'd think the massive success and critical acclaim of Returns and Tropical Freeze would've at least been worth a third character. It's a fact that leaves people scratching their heads, or wondering how complete the leaked roster really is.

Not much can be said about the King that hasn't been already. His biggest advantages are his uniqueness: a new super-heavyweight with high moveset potential, drawing from the vast amount of gimmicks and personas he's used in his appearances. The biggest knock against him, though...is that those appearances were all nearly fifteen or more years ago. And of course, there's the kompetiton he has with the more recently relevant but subjectively less unique Dixie Kong.

To be honest, I've lost some interest in K. Rool in the last couple months. He's managed to fall out of my top five...but I still hope he makes it in, by some miracle. He'd be able to offer things no other current character does, which is a huge plus in my book.

But if the leak showed the final roster after all, his inclusion may come down to dueling DLC campaigns...a rematch in metaphor of that battle in the core of the Lost World's volcano.

Ridley

Want: 50%

How fitting that we put the thread to rest with one of the most requested, most discussed, and most polarizing characters of the newest Super Smash Bros. and the previous one. Arguments have flown back and forth about his size, his moveset potential, and the nature of that brief glimpse of him we saw in the Pyrosphere.

And ironically yet amusingly enough, we have no more answers than we did when we got that glimpse.

Despite so much back-and-forth surrounding him, I've managed to stay mostly neutral on Ridley this whole time. I wouldn't be devastated if he turned out to be a mere boss, and if he was playable all along, I wouldn't spend nearly a week high on hype and vindication like when Robin was revealed. I've ended up emotionally invested nonetheless, though, because so many of my friends want to see him make it. Even if only for their sake, I want to see a screenshot released in ten days' time that shows him right in the middle of the character select screen.

Whether Ridley is in or out, though...when we get the final word, it'll leave a shockwave on the face of the Internet that we'll tell stories about for years to come.

Final Words
Hard to believe this is it, isn't it? This thread's been around for so long that even though I'm one of the new guys, I'm...sad to see it go. The next couple weeks will be a lot to take in, and all of us will have some hopes crushed and others brought to fruition. We've spent so much time imagining what the games must be like that, odds are, some part of them won't measure up to our wildest dreams. It's hard to top something as strong as a personal ideal, so try not to hold it against the games if they feel far from perfect right away. Give it a while. Even something a little rough around the edges can turn out to be a diamond with enough time and patience.

I guess what I mean to say is...

Last edited:

Ornstine

Smash Cadet
NNID
Faroose
3DS FC
3454-1164-7348
Mewtwo:

Chance - 100% Yeah thats right 100% damn percent dont think im a blind mewtwo fanboy im gonna back this up. Mewtwo was going to be in brawl he was their he had data but was only cut because they ran outta time. Sakurai got mad hate from his removal of mewtwo you think he would make the same mistake again? This game has been delayed so many times they might as well call it smash life 3 we got waaaaay more then enough development time to fit in the character everyone i screaming at sakurai to put back in. He wasnt even a clone at all no reason to cut a staple pokemon rep hes the most famous legendary. People think jiggs is gonna take his spot? Yeah sure. Brawl had 6 pokemon characters. In smash 4 mario has freaking 7! 9 if you count wario n yoshi. Jiggs will be along side mewtwo as the last 2 pokemon reps. Oh yeah i saved the best point for last. Dr Mario. Him being in should without a doubt confirm mewtwo. Think about it people really think sakurai would deal with the hateful comments on him throughout the rest of smash 4's lifetime because he choose a clone that nobody wanted over the 2nd most wanted character? Yeah no he would never do that. Also Dr Mario being in also shows that the melee cuts arent doomed to stay cut and mewtwo is the most wanted character that hasnt been shown yet. Were getting him back people no matter what.

Want 100% I download PM instantly just because i heard he was in it and he didnt suck like in melee. Even in melee i loved him. In every pokemon game i will always try to get him. Hes the by far my most fav pokemon behind Rayqauza and my most wanted character behind King K Rool

Ridley:

Chance - 70% The only real reason im not giving him a 90 or higher is the obvious one. The fact that sakurai is just unable to make him into a character. Hear me out Ice Climbers are pretty much out we know that do to limitations of the 3DS Chorus men aint looking to good either but what if Ridley cant be in because of limitations too? BUT thats the only thing that he has against him he has many things for him to like being wanted in smash since freakin Melee. Hey remember when King Dedede was suppose to be in 64? Then Melee? and he was scrapped twice for just not having the time Well now the ridley supporters are in waaaay higher numbers then their brawl days so this could be the game Ridley was waiting for just like brawl was for King Dedede. Honestly about the whole stage hazard crud im gonna believe sakurai is doing the biggest hype building trolling ever. Come on if ridley hit the big one he would have been shown early so the ridley fans would just have a much easier time dealing with it.Also the pyrosphere stage wasnt in the E3 demo even tho it look finished and ready. Well thing is he might not even be a stage hazard. well at least the Ridley we know.. Haha but seriously he has one thing against him and several things for him plus superve popularity in my opinion hes in

Want - 95% Im gonna admit it i used to be a ridley hater. BUT WAIT i have really seen how freakin awesome of a character he could be after getting over hating him i was neutral making arguments for and against him slowly and slowly going in the positive direction for pro ridley until finally seeing hes gonna be one of the last 5. Hes a villian, heavy weight, metroid rep, badass dragon how can you go wrong. Hes not 100% because i have a few characters over him 1 of which is probs never gonna make it (Lol vaati) K Rool n Mewtwo. I still want him a ton and honestly i really do think hes gonna be in unless sakurai wants a mob at his doorstep lol

"Best for last" The king of Crocs! the roughhouse reptilian! The Alligator with an attitude! KING K ROOL!

Chance - 70% I said this in my dixie vote but ill say it again CLONES CANNOT BE IN UNLESS THE CHARACTER OF MORE IMPORTANCE IS ALREADY IN. This has happened 3 times in the roster already. Dark Pit is in because the already imporant palutena. Docs in because Rosalina and Bowser Jr are in. And Lucina is in because Robin is already in. Dont you guys get it clones are thrown in just to add that extra random character THEY DONT TAKE UP "SLOTS". Dixie cant be a DK newcomer unless king k rool is in already so DIxie poses absolutely 0 threat to King K Rool being in the game so throw that lame excuse for a argument away King K Rool is the 3rd most popular in the game, is a villian, a DK Rep, And has a very easy chance to be unique with his sneaky cheater crazy personality and his pirate based moves Smash has never seen that and sakurai loves unique characters. The only thing agaist King K Rool is that sakurai is putting in more relevant characters as king k rool hasnt been seen since mario super sluggers (a spinoff sports title thats not even a DK game....) BUT ganondorf hasnt been shown in a zelda game since twilight princess (until hyrule warriors that is) And Duck Hunt Dog has not been relevent for a while either. I know ganondorf is bigger then K Rool and has already been shown in smash and Duck Hunt Dog is for the retro cast and kinda counts towards being a main character but theirs no other "Main Villain" in DK just one time villains like tiki tong and that fat walrus guy in Tropical Freeze. Just because Ganondorf wasnt shown in Skyward sword or Link Between worlds doesnt mean hes not the main villian anymore same goes for King K Rool and DK is the 4th most popular nintendo seires they deserve 3 characters the 3rd obviously being the main villain

Want/Nappa - VEGETA WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT ORNSTINES WANT PERCENT?! Vegeta - ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!
YEP as you guessed it King K Rool is BYYY FAR my most wanted character and has been since the E3 2013 Reveal of super smash bros 4. His traits, his reputation, his universe, his potential moveset ITS SO PERFECT OMG Hes fits the perfect roll for a newcomer DK is the 4th popular nintendo series of all time if mario gets 7 reps pokemon gets 6 zelda gets 5 why cant DK get 3? THATS IT theres no reason for DK not to get 3 reps and the only possible one would be King K Rool as i explained the Dixie debate twice already. Case n point king k rool is gonna be in this game mark my dang words Ridley and Mewtwo as well i just know it!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Mewtwo:

Chance - 100% Yeah thats right 100% damn percent dont think im a blind mewtwo fanboy im gonna back this up. Mewtwo was going to be in brawl he was their he had data but was only cut because they ran outta time. Sakurai got mad hate from his removal of mewtwo you think he would make the same mistake again? This game has been delayed so many times they might as well call it smash life 3 we got waaaaay more then enough development time to fit in the character everyone i screaming at sakurai to put back in. He wasnt even a clone at all no reason to cut a staple pokemon rep hes the most famous legendary. People think jiggs is gonna take his spot? Yeah sure. Brawl had 6 pokemon characters. In smash 4 mario has freaking 7! 9 if you count wario n yoshi. Jiggs will be along side mewtwo as the last 2 pokemon reps. Oh yeah i saved the best point for last. Dr Mario. Him being in should without a doubt confirm mewtwo. Think about it people really think sakurai would deal with the hateful comments on him throughout the rest of smash 4's lifetime because he choose a clone that nobody wanted over the 2nd most wanted character? Yeah no he would never do that. Also Dr Mario being in also shows that the melee cuts arent doomed to stay cut and mewtwo is the most wanted character that hasnt been shown yet. Were getting him back people no matter what.

Want 100% I download PM instantly just because i heard he was in it and he didnt suck like in melee. Even in melee i loved him. In every pokemon game i will always try to get him. Hes the by far my most fav pokemon behind Rayqauza and my most wanted character behind King K Rool

Ridley:

Chance - 70% The only real reason im not giving him a 90 or higher is the obvious one. The fact that sakurai is just unable to make him into a character. Hear me out Ice Climbers are pretty much out we know that do to limitations of the 3DS Chorus men aint looking to good either but what if Ridley cant be in because of limitations too? BUT thats the only thing that he has against him he has many things for him to like being wanted in smash since freakin Melee. Hey remember when King Dedede was suppose to be in 64? Then Melee? and he was scrapped twice for just not having the time Well now the ridley supporters are in waaaay higher numbers then their brawl days so this could be the game Ridley was waiting for just like brawl was for King Dedede. Honestly about the whole stage hazard crud im gonna believe sakurai is doing the biggest hype building trolling ever. Come on if ridley hit the big one he would have been shown early so the ridley fans would just have a much easier time dealing with it.Also the pyrosphere stage wasnt in the E3 demo even tho it look finished and ready. Well thing is he might not even be a stage hazard. well at least the Ridley we know.. Haha but seriously he has one thing against him and several things for him plus superve popularity in my opinion hes in

Want - 95% Im gonna admit it i used to be a ridley hater. BUT WAIT i have really seen how freakin awesome of a character he could be after getting over hating him i was neutral making arguments for and against him slowly and slowly going in the positive direction for pro ridley until finally seeing hes gonna be one of the last 5. Hes a villian, heavy weight, metroid rep, badass dragon how can you go wrong. Hes not 100% because i have a few characters over him 1 of which is probs never gonna make it (Lol vaati) K Rool n Mewtwo. I still want him a ton and honestly i really do think hes gonna be in unless sakurai wants a mob at his doorstep lol

"Best for last" The king of Crocs! the roughhouse reptilian! The Alligator with an attitude! KING K ROOL!

Chance - 70% I said this in my dixie vote but ill say it again CLONES CANNOT BE IN UNLESS THE CHARACTER OF MORE IMPORTANCE IS ALREADY IN. This has happened 3 times in the roster already. Dark Pit is in because the already imporant palutena. Docs in because Rosalina and Bowser Jr are in. And Lucina is in because Robin is already in. Dont you guys get it clones are thrown in just to add that extra random character THEY DONT TAKE UP "SLOTS". Dixie cant be a DK newcomer unless king k rool is in already so DIxie poses absolutely 0 threat to King K Rool being in the game so throw that lame excuse for a argument away King K Rool is the 3rd most popular in the game, is a villian, a DK Rep, And has a very easy chance to be unique with his sneaky cheater crazy personality and his pirate based moves Smash has never seen that and sakurai loves unique characters. The only thing agaist King K Rool is that sakurai is putting in more relevant characters as king k rool hasnt been seen since mario super sluggers (a spinoff sports title thats not even a DK game....) BUT ganondorf hasnt been shown in a zelda game since twilight princess (until hyrule warriors that is) And Duck Hunt Dog has not been relevent for a while either. I know ganondorf is bigger then K Rool and has already been shown in smash and Duck Hunt Dog is for the retro cast and kinda counts towards being a main character but theirs no other "Main Villain" in DK just one time villains like tiki tong and that fat walrus guy in Tropical Freeze. Just because Ganondorf wasnt shown in Skyward sword or Link Between worlds doesnt mean hes not the main villian anymore same goes for King K Rool and DK is the 4th most popular nintendo seires they deserve 3 characters the 3rd obviously being the main villain

Want/Nappa - VEGETA WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT ORNSTINES WANT PERCENT?! Vegeta - ITS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!
YEP as you guessed it King K Rool is BYYY FAR my most wanted character and has been since the E3 2013 Reveal of super smash bros 4. His traits, his reputation, his universe, his potential moveset ITS SO PERFECT OMG Hes fits the perfect roll for a newcomer DK is the 4th popular nintendo series of all time if mario gets 7 reps pokemon gets 6 zelda gets 5 why cant DK get 3? THATS IT theres no reason for DK not to get 3 reps and the only possible one would be King K Rool as i explained the Dixie debate twice already. Case n point king k rool is gonna be in this game mark my dang words Ridley and Mewtwo as well i just know it!
I agree except the part about Dixie can't be a newcomer without K. Rool. Dixie is perfectly capable of being a fully original character with her own gimmick: her hair. I FULLY believe K. Rool is far more likely than Dixie Kong at this point, but Dixie Kong's hair is a very unique gimmick. She can have an endless glide, pick up characters similar to DK and walk around with them, perform spinning attacks with her hair, and the like. At the same time, its also perfectly acceptable to believe that she could be a semi clone of Diddy with many of her moves switched to use her hair (in which case she probably wouldn't be a clone, Diddy was just used as a base) or even a mixed clone of both DK and Diddy.

Although I do agree with one thing: with Sakurai's track record, he's probably more likely to make Dixie a cross clone than he is to make her a fully original character. And honestly I also believe that Bowser Jr. is a cross clone of K. Rool and Diddy Kong, too with his own thing (which also means Dixie probably wouldn't be counted as a clone if she was included). That said, Dixie Kong does not HAVE to be a clone at all.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Alrighty, it's Rate Their Chances final rating day....so I think I ought to go at least a bit more in-depth than usual on my thoughts on this one. Starting this post now late at night here, shortly after this day began, but it'll probably turn into a draft that I'll end up posting much later.

Ridley - 85%

Alright, so from what I've gathered the new huge leak has also stated Ridley is among the characters left to be revealed.

There's no doubt in my mind that the footage and the images provided by the leak are legitimate now, but at the same time the leak might not turn out 100% true in the end. They could still be wrong about the characters we haven't actually seen yet, heck they might even be lying about these "unrevealed" characters for whatever reason. We'll have to wait and see there, but there's no reason why we should expect either of those outcomes either. I was extremely doubtful of Ridley after the Direct, and nothing had raised my hopes very high after that, none of the in-depth analyses regarding the shadow and the stage, none of the arguments that he should've/would've more likely been revealed as a hazard by now if he was one were able to convince me that Ridley was in, or at least more likely playable than not. But this.....this leak, was finally able to change my mind, it was finally able to raise my hopes for the first time since the Direct I have a strong feeling that Ridley is indeed playable after all now.

Want - 90%

Though there are some major plot points and major characters of the Metroid series that I'm fairly knowledgeable about, I've only ever played Super Metroid, so my knowledge with the series is limited and I have a very small connection with it. Still, I remember seeing Ridley's appearance in the Melee intro, and I thought he looked epic. Was a bit disappointed when I saw his trophy and found he wasn't playable in the game. The Brawl boss fights only made me want him playable even more badly. I've wanted him playable ever so badly since then, but after the Direct I lost most of my hope on him, and at the same time...I also lost a little interest, at least to the point where I could easily live without him being playable.

King K. Rool - 10%

Despite having played none of the original DKC games...I've seen a lot of gameplay footage of them and DK64, as well as some episodes of the cartoon, and I've really come to love K. Rool's quirks and personality, so giving him this low of a score is hard for me. But I have to admit that the chance that we'll get any non-leaked newcomers at this point is extremely slim. He unfortunately was not among the characters stated to be "unrevealed" in the leak either, so that only further hurts his chance. It hurts me even more after seeing the Kritters appear in Smash Run, their first appearance since 2008, it boosted my confidence in his chances extremely high, and for a time I even thought he was the most likely newcomer, at least the most likely of the Big Three, yet, here he is now, one of the least likely newcomers....a very saddening journey in the end, if I do say so myself.

Want - 100%

The things I have said under his rating should make it clear that K. Rool is one of my most wanted newcomers, and is the member of The Big Three that I want the most. So again, seeing him in this position after everything that went to his favor, at least above a few other big newcomers, makes me very sad.

Mewtwo - 90%

This is only a bit higher than Ridley due to the fact that I had always believed Mewtwo had an excellent chance from the start anyhow, I've always thought he had a lot more in his favor over Ridley, and much more especially after the Direct.

But yeah, Mewtwo was mentioned to be an "unrevealed" character in the leak. It would only make sense that it would be among them given it's extremely huge popularity, in both the Pokemon games itself and the most requested character for Smash 4 worldwide. Still, had it not been mentioned as one of the "unrevealed" characters I would've believed that Mewtwo would most likely not return. It managed to be among those with a saving grace in the leak, and I think the leaked footage and images themselves are definitely legitimate, so it's likely they're telling the truth about the "unrevealed" characters as well, but again, they could be lying about this or could end up incorrect, we can't be completely certain about the unseen just yet.

Want - 100%

I honestly like Greninja much more than Mewtwo, and if Mewtwo did return I would still probably use Greninja far more often than it, but I still think it would be an incredibly dumb decision to leave Mewtwo out once again. As one of the most popular Pokemon, (even being up there with Pikachu) one that received a huge amount of promotion for a huge comeback in X/Y, and, as previously mentioned, the most requested Smash 4 character worldwide, it quite frankly deserves to return. And it's for these reasons I'll be incredibly confused and frustrated if Mewtwo does not return. I have always thought it had much more in it's favor than any possible newcomer ever did.

Well, that's that. This might very well be my largest post here that involved chance and want ratings. As I said at the top of this post I wanted to put more thought into it than usual seeing as it's the last day we'll rate anything on here.

Overall, I'm glad that the crazy scene that is Smash 4 Speculation is coming to an end, but this game was perhaps the only part of speculation I had always truly liked, from start to finish, and was actually one of my favorite parts of the site itself. It's absolutely fantastic that the game itself is going to be released really soon, and we'll finally known the full roster, and soon after that, we'll finally get to play it for ourselves and enjoy the thing we've been anticipating and speculating over for the longest time, but this game was a big part of that for a lot of us, including me... I'm deeply saddened to see that part of it come to an end after going on for so long. But I digress. The game itself will be much more than enough to make up for it, but I'll always miss this game a little nonetheless.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Mewtwo chances: 96 %
Yeah he's pretty much a shoe-in at this point IMO, even more likely than Ice Climbers and Lucas. It doesn't make much sense to bring back a Melee cut veteran no one asked for (Dr. Mario), but not the only non-clone one everyone is asking for, asides from "lol clones take little time to be created", but we can create a roster full of clones with this argument, and Mewtwo's moveset is already done in Melee, though it could deserve to be reworked a little. And I don't believe that he will added with DLC, I'm expecting that those kind of things will probably be for more obscure characters.
If Sakurai can access to insider informations like the concept arts for gen VI Pokémon (and it's how he chosen Greninja) then there is no way he couldn't know about the new Mega Evolutions and probably the next movie as well. With Dr. Mario coming back pretty much kills all the relevant arguments against him like "6 Pokémon reps too much" or "moar reps than Mario" or "ne he was cut no way he will return" that are now irrelevant. Given what he represents and how important he's to the Pokémon franchise (let's face it, he's the only legendary in the franchise with an actual background story), as well as a much wanted Melee return (he's the most requested character WORLDWIDE) he's FAR too important to not be in the playable roster, and too important to be a DLC exclusive.
The only thing that actually hurts him is the fact that he's not in the leaked CSS, and would maybe shown to the ESRB due to being the personification of unwholesome genetic manipulations, abording themes like cloning, eugenism...

Mewtwo want: 100 %
Mewtwo is pretty much the only character with non-negotiable playability for me at this point. If he's not playable that would pretty much kill all my hype for the game. Bringing Dr. Mario back but not Mewtwo would be a giant punch in the face from Sakurai to all of the SSB fanbase.

And no I'm not a blind Mewtwo fanboy, he's not even my favourite legendary, it's just that his return makes so much sense.

Edit: let's go to rate K. Rool and Ridley!

King K. Rool chances: 14 %
He may be more popular than Dixie, but she seems overall more important to the recent Donkey Kong history, and K. Rool himself didn't appear in recent Donkey Kong games. Also everyone expected Krystal for a new Starfox rep back in pre-Brawl days and we got Wolf instead. IMO lack of recency isn't exactly a killer, characters in this situation seem just more likely to be post-release hidden characters.

King K. Rool want: 92 %
Donkey Kong definitely deserves a newcomer, two playable reps for the most well-known Nintendo franchise asides from the big three (Mario, Pokémon, Zelda) is really a blatant under-representation. I played both the original Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong 64, and I'd be really glad to see him playable.

Ridley chances: ...
I don't know what to expect anymore!
I previously adamantly thought that it would be impossible to tease a such character so much if he's going to not be playable, but now I feel Sakurai tries to say "For heaven's sake stop requesting Ridley, we never consider him as a fighter and he's not suited for Smash battles anyway" to the entire Smash fanbase. I mean, just look at how he deconfirmed Waluigi and Chrom, though I admit that those never got any form of teasing prior to their deconfirmation. There is absolutely no conclusion to be drawn from the April Smash direct when Sakurai shown the Ridley shadow above the Pyrosphere IMO. Analyzing the shadow is pretty much the only way to have an opinion on Ridley's status, and for me it looks like neither like a boss or a playable character. Maybe an Assist Trophy?
The teasing around Ridley is obvious. It was made to be incredibly unclear, and when I look at those chance rating that often go to opposites extremes it seems it succeded to be unclear.

Ridley want: abstain as well
Really I have no opinion on Ridley anymore, but if he ends up to be playable I hope they'll not use the head shape he has in Other M. This head looks really, REALLY bad.

Last edited:

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo
Chance: 40%
Want: 20%
K. Rool
Chance: 20%
Want: 20%
Ridley
Chance: 80%

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
More evidence for the leak.
upload_2014-9-3_17-2-44.png

I believe the leak did say that every character gets 8 alt costumes/colours so unfortunately, it looks grim for :popo:. You will surely be remembered. :sadeyes:

I'll post my ratings in a bit.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
A bit relevant, I think:

Note that the pic of the day confirmed that each character gets 8 palette swaps/alt costumes. Wasn't the leak that mentioned that also the one where Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Kids and Dixie were included?

I'm not sure at all if I'm mixing up the series of leaks we've had and would like to know if I'm accurate to know if I should get hyped about this PotD.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A bit relevant, I think:

Note that the pic of the day confirmed that each character gets 8 palette swaps/alt costumes. Wasn't the leak that mentioned that also the one where Mewtwo, Ridley, Chorus Kids and Dixie were included?

I'm not sure at all if I'm mixing up the series of leaks we've had and would like to know if I'm accurate to know if I should get hyped about this PotD.

:4greninja:'d
The main issue is there are numerous different leaks, likely all based on the original Ninka leak. This was probably in the original Ninka leak.

EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/EEMDHp8.jpg

It is. I think the Ninka thread is public now, too, but I don't know the url, so whatever.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Mewtwo:

Chance: 30% - Pretty much my chance for more characters than the leaked CSS in general, if there really are more characters Mewtwo is guaranteed imo. Even then he's no doubt going to end up as DLC otherwise.

Want: 10% - Once again I don't care for him, I dislike his Smash moveset a lot. Still, if only for his fans I give him 10%.

King K. Rool:

Chance: 5% - K. Rool is not present in any credible leaks, and Bowser Jr already stole his boxing gloves, cannonballs and traps. I'm afraid our King will have to wait for his opportunity as a DLC character, that is if he makes it past launch without being handed another role.

Want: 90% - As always, K. Rool has consistently gotten 90% in want from me. He has been my 3rd most wanted for this game, so he's still below the 95% I'd have given Mega Man and the 100% I give Ridley, but ahead of everyone else. Even if his moveset ideas have been stolen by the Koopa Prince I'd still enjoy seeing K. Rool in this game. A lot.

Ridley:

Chance: 10% - He has the only credible leak backing him up, so that's good. The big punch to the stomach for Ridley however is that he doesn't fit on the CSS, following the rules all Smash CSS have done, including the leaked one, Ridley is impossible to fit in there unless a once-in-a-franchise miracle happens. Will probably be a stage hazard, so he's not going to be an option for DLC.

Want: 100% - Larger than life Smash speculation itself, Ridley is the only character to ever have received a 100% want from me, and that's because nobody else can compare to him. He's the only character I'm dying to see in the game, he's the character that even made me join Smash 4 speculation after I got everything else in Brawl, he's the only character I've EVER supported so much, and that's because he's my favorite video game character. I'll tell you, when you can't play as your favorite Nintendo character in Smash Bros, there's a big gap to be filled.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mewtwo, Ridley, and K. Rool:
Chance: I have no ****ing idea anymore.

These characters have been in no man's land for so long that it's really hard to not feel for them and their supporters. When speculation was in its heyday, they were considered the likeliest of the likely and kings of popularity. How the mighty have fallen...

EmeraldDragonair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmeraldDragonair
King K. Rool
Chance: 10%
I honestly doubt there are two DK reps in the last 5, and Dixie Kong is much more likely (recency, could share some moves with Diddy). I've never played DKC (dammit Nintendo put them back on the VC), so I'm wouldn't be too fussed about him, but I want more villains, and he qualifies.

RIDLEY
Chance: 1%
Want: 0%
No doubt Ridley deserves to be playable but he is too big to work, and he would look ridiculous shrunk. This doesn't lower his chances, but it kills my want for him.
His chance is lowered due to this:
"Boss Characters will appear on other stages as well [shows Ridley's shadow]" - Masahiro Sakurai. Zamus Troll went for ~5 seconds. Meta Troll went for ~2 Days. No way is Ridley playable.

Mewtwo
Chance: 98%
Want: Over 9000% (use 100% if you need a mathematically valid number)
:drmario:. Just :drmario:. If :drmario: is back there is no excusable reason for :mewtwomelee: not to be back. Planned for 64, playable in Melee and planned (and the most complete non-finished character) in Brawl. Last to be caught in Pokemon, last to be unlocked in Melee. 7.5 Mario reps, but only 5 Pokemon? Nope. Mewtwo strikes back.
The remaining 2% is for Murphey's Sakurai's Law: Anything that can be used to troll, will be used to troll.

Mewtwo also has something the other two lack. JAPAN. That is more important than some people realize.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
The last day of ratings. Let's do this!

Mewtwo:
Chance: 60%
Over time I've become less confident of this guy but still remain positive of Mewtwo's inclusion. There are so little spots left it seems like every possible character is sort of becoming less likely. What gives Mewtwo the real edge is that:

• he has been insanely requested
  • a lost Melee veternan
  • has been planned for every Smash game ever
  • Is recent through X and Y and relevant through mega evolutions
  • Important to Pokemon
  • And this could be a stretch but it's worth noting about the leaks which predict Mewtwo and have gotten some stuff right (see above)
Things have always looked good for Mewtwo it's just my certainty for Mewtwo's chances has decreased.

Out of all the pokemon left, I'd be totally happy if it was Mewtwo. It kind of sucks to see such an iconic pokemon and popular pokemon shafted again.

King K Rool:
Chance: 30%
Unfortunately I cannot say I'm confident in K. Rool's chances. The only thing I see really going for him is the Kremlings and his popularity. However, I don't see these things doing much for him any more. I used to but that was before the remaining spots for characters had become so small.

The Kremlings in Smash Run actually isn't that surprising. Out of all the DK enemies you would include, which one seems the most obvious or generic? Those guys. They are the equivalent to Mario's goombas or Kirby's waddle dees. One can counter argue that those enemies always are accompanied by their leader (Bowser, DeDeDe) but unlike DK, those franchises have a lot more representation.

And the popularity thing is iffy to say how it can affect his chances. We've seen many popular figures in Smash but it's not a clear trend. See how Ridley has been shafted 2 times now (Melee, Brawl).

He is perhaps the most iconic villain not yet represented in Smash and it's a big shame. It's sad to see how Nintendo is ignoring DK and all it's potential.

Ridley:
Chance: 60%
Again, with the remaining places for playable characters, chances are bound to decrease, even slightly. I'm still confident that Sakurai's teasing on this guy means a lot because without it, I'd say Ridley has met his match... again. That's really all I have to say for Ridley.

He's part of the big 3. That alone is enough for me to want him, Smash needs more villains.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Mewtwo:
Chance: 100%.
"We are thinking about it". He directly addressed an unconfirmed playable character. Almost always, calling out a character like that equals they are playable. Plus, Mewtwo is THE most requested character for this game, and besides his blinding popularity, he also is QUITE prominent in his own series. The reason he has not been revealed yet? Simple. He's a veteran. A secret veteran. Just like in Melee. Well, without the "veteran" part.

Want: 80%. I am completely indifferent at this point. But that extra 30% comes from the fact he never should have been cut in the first place. In fact, if Brawl had DLC or a few months more of development, Mewtwo would have come back. He is the single most deserving character to appear that has not been revealed.

King K. Rool:
Chance: 35%.
I just don't know what to think about this guy anymore. While I believe he is among the most deserving unconfirmed characters, Dixie Kong bests him in just about every category, including the fact she is included in most leaks, especially around this time. He would be a prime choice for DLC, however, if that is a thing.

Want: 60%. Indifferent for the most part. The extra 10% comes from me wanting to see a new Donkey Kong character in general, and the fact he is the ideal choice (in my personal opinion) for the new Donkey Kong character.

Ridley:
Chance: 100%.
If not on the initial roster, as a DLC addition. He simply has been teased as a boss too much to simply be a boss. That would be anticlimactic, and, frankly, not Sakurai's style. It appears that he would be a secret character if he's on the initial roster, but you never know. At the very least, his chances of being playable by September 13th are slim.

Want: 70%. I just want this to be OVER. I am so done with talking about Ridley. I am not even a fan of Ridley in the slightest, and I will rage if he is seriously not even playable through DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mewtwo
Chance 80% The fact he is the most requested character says something, he was teased in Greninja's trailer and apparantly, there was a cloud that resembles Mewtwo in said trailer.
Want 50% IDGAF about him, but hey, fans are going to be happy
K.Rool
Chance 80% MOAR TEASING!!! He is the most requested nintendo newcomer and the Kremlings must mean something.
Want 100% Easily one of the most unique movesets possible and became my 3rd most wanted in seconds.
Ridley
Chance 100% Too much teasing, tiny shadow, leak not having full roster, fan outcry, I think it says enough
Want 100% If not only for more awesome dragons! Easily a character with unlimited potential, and the biggest reason: So this god forsaken debate can finally end!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Mewtwo chance - 70%
Mewtwo want - 100%

I really want Mewtwo along with Isaac right now. I think Mewtwo is in the best position out of all the non leaked characters, but it still seems a bit iffy.

King K Rool chance - 40%
King K Rool want - 45%

Ridley chance - 45%
Ridley want - 80%

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
Mewtwo
Chance:95%
Want:100%
Back during the Brawl era, along with many others, I was extremely disappointed to find that Mewtwo was cut.
Now I see him a probably being back.
Why?
As I've mentioned a few days ago, I don't believe this is our final roster;

Look at that second to bottom row. How ugly is that on a Gui to your eyes? Especially
Keep in mind the esrb reviewed the game 2 or more months ago, and this is an English(Not Japanese) Build.
Considering Sakurai mentioned Mewtwo, and the fact that we are getting returning melee cuts, I'm extremely sure we'll be getting Mewtwo back. Even at the time greninja was selected as playable, Sakurai knew mewtwo was getting new "Mega forms". If not as playable, I'm certain we'll be seeing dlc.
King K. Rool
I feel awful for this guy supporters. They are an awesome krew, and I would be estatic if the King was playable.
Unfortunately, even if we get some more newcomers, it seems like we'll get Dixie kong instead... which is a shame.
I suspect the King will be either a boss on the Wii u version(playable boss possibly) or the smash run boss mentioned by the nintendo rep.
I hope I'm wrong.However in the way of Newcomers in General, We will only have 2 newcomers hidden until after release(not counting dark pit or Doc, clones). I could be wrong, but didn't brawl have 5 hidden newcomers?
Ridley
Ridley is, by quite a margin, the most controversial smash character in history. This character has had supporters since the brawl area, and they quite often get harassed by people (not so much smashboards, other websites). I don't see why they are still hiding him if he's a stage hazard, either he's a playable boss or a playable character considering he's had an animated model for months and they've still chosen not to reveal him as a boss considering that Treehouse guys and Bill Trenon know he's a BIG deal.
However, to be fair to people who don't think he's in, I can see why. If he is playable, and he has an animated model, why isn't he on the 3ds roster? Either they haven't transferred him yet (They worked on wii u characters before 3ds characters ?!) or he'll be an update whenever the wii u version is released. Or he'll be one of those "playable bosses" which some people are talking about.
Regardless, it's nice to know people still care about these characters, best of luck to their supporters.

Last edited:

Kokopops

Smash Rookie
Mewtwo -
Chance: 80%

K.Rool -
Chance: 30%
Want: 25%

Ridley -
Chance: 45%
Want: 80%

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Oooh, today's choice is interesting, so this will be my first post in this thread. Let's do this!

MEWTWO:
Chance: 75%
- Mewtwo has been the subject of the most explicit teasing on Sm4sh. Greninja's trailer was clearly crafted to make all of us believe Mewtwo would return at last. You can ask everyone who saw that live, all of them will agree that they thought Mewtwo was going to show up at any moment during that trailer. Mewtwo is also the most requested character worldwide, according to some popularity polls that surfaced recently and I've seen around these forums several times already. He also represents the legendary Pokémon, which have no playable representation, and is probably one of the most famous Pokémon of all time. That said, the fact that he was cut back in Brawl makes him have a slim chance of remaining cut again.
Want: 80%
- Mewtwo isn't my favorite Pokémon. In fact, I've never really liked his appearance. However, I think him being in the game would be interesting, as he would represent the legendary Pokémon, and would also be the sixth Pokémon rep in the game, which would be a nice homage to the series (as you can only carry 6 Pokémon with you at once).

KING K. ROOL:
- Sadly, despite his popularity and being the third most requested character around the world (again, according to those popularity polls), K. Rool seems to be hiding in the shadows. However, there are a few hints that point towards his inclusion, being the most noticeable the Kremling enemies in Smash Run, and the Kremling trophy that has appeared on several images published by Sakurai himself, being the only trophy to appear on more than one picture. Although he hasn't appeared on a main DK game for a long time, he's been the main antagonist for a very long time, and there's no other character that can claim that position. The fact that he is different from any other character in the game, and also a main villain, slightly increases his chances of getting in, as Sakurai seems to be looking for variety this time around. So, fifty/fifty for him.
- K. Rool is my most wanted newcomer. I think there's no need to say anything else.

RIDLEY:
Chance: 85%
- Despite what the detractors say, Ridley has been teased too. The fact that we haven't seen anything about him ever since April is strongly suspicious. Also, there are several points that make me lean towards him being playable, such as the small size he appears to have according to the shadow analysis (which is weird, considering he's always big and, if he were a boss, he'd probably keep his size). He's one of the most requested characters on the West, and people have been asking for him ever since Melee. He could also add a lot of uniqueness to the roster because of his size, agility and flying capabilities. I'd say Ridley is the most likely out of the three to get in, yet there's still room for doubt.

- Ridley is my second most wanted character. Who wouldn't want a space pirate dragon as a playable character anyways?

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I can't believe that I've been playing this game for over a year now and it's finally coming to an end. The "want" chart has been fully updated save for these three.

Ridley
Chance: 8% - I think he's more than likely deconfirmed at this point.
Want: 64%

King K. Rool
Chance: 4% - Sadly there is almost nothing pointing to his inclusion at this point.
Want: 86% - LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!

Mewtwo
Chance: 30% - I'd say he's the most likely remaining character that could get in. But I'm not willing to give any remaining character more than a 30% when most of the roster has already been revealed (possibly all of it) and with Sakurai being completely unpredictable since the first trailer.
Want: 87% - He has my full support.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Ridley
Chance: 50% - I think he or King K is in.
Want: 55% - He's pretty cool

King K
Chance: 50% - I think he or Ridley is in.
Want: 100% - He's awesome!!!!

Mewtwo:
Chance: 95% - I think Sakurai won't mess up three times on getting Mewtwo in a Smash game
Want: 100% - He is a Pokemon All-Star AND a Nintendo All-Star.

D

Deleted member

The Directory has been updated.
If you have rated any of these characters, check to see what you've said on their days!

Oh boy. Here we go... the Big Three...
LET'S DO THIS!

Mewtwo
Chance:
50%

Honestly, I can see this one go either way now. I held that Mewtwo would have to compete with Jigglypuff and the leak shows that Jigglypuff possibly got in over Mewtwo. However, two things are going in favor of Mewtwo:
1. There are more Mario characters. The presence of Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario shows that Pokemon could have one more character on the roster.
2. Mewtwo's role is left as ambiguous. Even the leaker doesn't know if Mewtwo has been cut or not. This might suggest that he is unlockable.
Mewtwo is a character whose fate will be unknown to us until after release, but I definitely think that it's possible that he will strike back. Dr. Mario shows that cut characters can return and Mewtwo is the most requested character worldwide. I think that it's possible that he will make a grand return.
Mewtwo's moveset in Melee sucks yes, but it's such a deserving character. He deserves to be on the roster than most newcomers and this was the only cut that I was confused by. I would love to see him return.

King K. Rool
Chance:
15%

Unfortunately for the King, recent events have shown that he will most likely not be playable. The leak is going against him for two key reasons:
1. The presence of Dr. Mario and Dark Pit shows that Dixie Kong was possibly chosen over him. While King K. Rool is more requested than Dixie Kong, she is still quite as popular so the blow wouldn't be that terrible. She also has the benefit of being a quick clone/semi-clone to make.
2. Bowser Jr.'s Koopa Clown Car has cannonballs and boxing gloves, two things that King K. Rool could have used in his moveset. As a result, a part of his uniqueness has been taken away.
Things look grim for the King... terribly grim.
I will admit that I have no connection with King K. Rool outside of the final boss in Donkey Kong Country and Mario Super Sluggers. Heck, I even replaced him with Robin in my signature, a character that I have a connection with and he comes from a game that I absolutely love.
Despite this, I think that King K. Rool would be a fantastic addition to the roster. I would love to see him get some love after not being in the spotlight for quite some time.
On a more personal note, he is the most wanted newcomer of one of my best friends and he was quite devastated when Shulk proved the leak to be true. I want him in for his sake.

Ridley
Chance:
5%

Unfortunately for Ridley, I don't have much to say. I find text leaks to be baseless since they are piggy-backing this current leak and I still think that he's a stage hazard.
Not interested at all.

...And that was the last time I rated characters in chance and want.
I can't wait for the Satisfaction ratings! ...What? You didn't think that I wouldn't make a giant post for the Monado boy, now did you? Well, I did! It would be mad if I didn't for my most wanted newcomer! As added bonus and made a giant post for the scale tipper as well. I can't wait for their day(s)!

Last edited by a moderator:

zon770

Smash Rookie
Ridley:
Chance: 99%
I just have this feeling that Sakurai would do something like this.
Want: 85%

K. Rool:
Chance: 15%
Want: Abstain

Mewtwo:
Want: 75%

I'm going to miss this board alot.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Mewtwo:
Chance: 100%
Only cut due to time in Brawl. Still popular and relevant. Was already part of Smash Bros.

K. Rool:
Chance: 0%
He's a villain and I guess relevant character and from a franchise that can deserve a newcomer. But I don't see him coming in. He's just really weird personality and art wise. Sorry but I hate most Rare/DK designs. I don't think he would be very interesting either moveset wise.

Ridley:
Chance: 100%
He's a flying creature and villain and would be awesome to play him. It has been hard to put him into Smash 4 surely due to being a flying creature, it would be hard to animate everything and make it look good, and also very hard to settle on a design (so many things to consider, like what game/design is most relevant, what design would allow him to still look menacing and maximize his visual size while minimizing his collision size), but it will be very great playing him knowing all the hard work that was needed to make it happen.
Ridley's never been mentioned before by name for Smash 4 and he's already been teased to appear as a "boss character" (rather than "stage boss"). How sneaky. He's also small as seen from his shadow and does not move like a boss and has not appeared in any Pyrosphere pictures.

Basically he's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom