• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Ah, lessee.
Ridley:
Chance: pretty dang high 70% or so
It depends on whether Sakurai was hyping up a boss, or intentionally fooling everyone. Ridley has a lot going for him though, considering he doesn't like creating false hype and is in all probability aware of the fanbase.
Want: Yes please.
Giant purple space dragon that vomits plasma and eats parents. What's not to like?

Chibi Robo
Chance: 20%
10% for having a good potential for a functioning moveset and 10% for having a game that was released some time ago. Other than that, no hints or other material from the series in Sm4sh, so I believe the chances are quite slim.
Want: 70%
I'd be okay with him.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, let's see...

-Ridley-

Chance: 87%
Reasoning - Sakurai has been dancing around him for so long (better explanations on the Ridley Thread) and teasing him a lot. Not to mention that he has been wanted by fans since before Melee. But the fact that Sakurai intentionally left Ridley out of Melee and Brawl is my reasoning for it being below 100%

Want: 100% (is there more?)
Reasoning - I've wanted Ridley for the longest time. There's not much more I can say without becoming repetitive.

-Chibi Robo-

Chance: 16%
Reasoning - He (it?) recently got a game on the 3DS, right? That makes CR a lot more relevant (last game was on the GameCube if I remember correctly). I can see it happening with an interesting moveset, and size really isn't a problem with all of the resizings. I don't see it likely, though. Mainly because of lack of moveset potential and popularity, but that isn't a big problem with Sakurai.

Want: 38%
Reasoning - I mainly want him just to see how he would play. I can see it being interesting and I usually play with light characters who have a slight gimmick to them, and that's how I see him playing out. I see him more likely as an Assist Trophy (actually, extremely likely). All in all, I see a lot of hate for him, but he could be interesting...

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I'm off to work and don't wanna miss a chance to rate these characters;

Ridley - 88%
Want - 100%

Chibi-Robo: 8%
Want - 20%

predict:
DLC Newcomers - 79%
Crash Bandicoot - 0.04%
TF rep - 90%

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
Ridley
Chance: 85%
It's foolish to say that anything's a guarantee, but just look at the mounds of evidence and support he has for him.
Want: 100% one of, if not my most wanted newcomer.

Chibi Robo
Chance: 30%
Sadly I don't see it happening. Not too well known of an IP, no evidence of either inclusion or exclusion, and I think smash may be dangerously close to reaching the cap of new IPs added this iteration.
Want: 70%
I like this guy. I haven't played his games, but I think he'd be a great addition.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Ridley
Chances: 85%
Talking Ridley there are lots of speculation and few facts, but 2 important facts are:
His role have been very vague.
Nintendo have quickly explained vague roles before for uncorfimed characters. (most important case was Chrom)
saldly it isn't conclusive, they could either still thinking that a boss idea would be amazing and tease worthy, or they could simply not care. but still after Robin inclusion, (and Rosalina and little mac) i get the impression they know what they are doing and know that just teasing a glorified piñata is a bad idea.

Want: 100%

Chibi Robo: 10%-30% (depending on how important is in japan)
Is this dude a THING in japan? i'm just asking becasue i Know that i barely know him and certainly not big on the west. and if its purely because of moveset potential or uniqueness, he would need to compete against R.O.B.

Want: 15%
almost don't know anything about it, have seen some moveset that could work.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ridley: Well, may as well say it.

Chance: 5%

No, nothing said will change my mind on this, unless Sakurai himself says something. I think Ridley's done. I left a 5% room for error though. I think Sakurai was pretty clear with the Smash Direct thing. I don't think the trophy quiz, the Palutena tease, or the ZSS tease mean anything.

Want: 85%
That being said...

Chibi Robo

Yes, higher than Ridley. Chibi's on par with Isaac, I think, Lots of potential, hasn't been shown, unrepresented IP that's second party. They're a lot alike. Plus, Photo Finder happened.

Love the little guy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ridley: 60%
He has been mercilessly teased by Sakurai, moreso than any other character. I believe it will amount to something more than just a stage hazard. However, I'm not overwhelmingly confident about that.

Want: 90%
I don't have any personal attachment to him, but it's hard to not empathise with his fans. They've been through hell.

Chibi Robo: 15%
Not exactly likely, but I won't count him out. His e-shop game shows that he hasn't been forgotten, at least.

Want: 55%
The little guy intrigues me, so I'm mildly interested.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Ridley

Chance: 60%
He has been teased to no end. Every other character has been confirmed or deconfirmed directly. One thing that is suspicious to me is in all of those press pictures since the Pyrosphere was annouced there has not been a hint of Ridley being a stage hazard. This whole Ridley situation is awfully fishy and I doubt Sakurai will make him a boss after all of this. The reason for the 40% off is simply that he did say "other boss characters appear". Ridley is a boss character, he might just be a boss.

I have no personal connection to him. Yet he is the second most wanted character of mine. Ridley's fanbase have gone through so much hatred over the years just for wanting a space dragon in a video game. Ridley being annouced will put an end to this.

Chibi-Robo

No evidence for or against him, but I think between Shulk, Rhythm Heaven and some other unrepresented franchises he won't make it.

Want: 50%
I'm neutral on his inclusion.

Brash the Friggin’ Bear x5

Last edited:

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Ridley
As soon as Sakurai made the Miiverse post about Pyrosphere, I thought Ridley was done for. After the clip in the Direct, I feel there's still some hope, but I don't think Sakurai would be THAT much of a troll.
Want: 90%
I've never played a Metroid game, to be honest, but I really can't stand these detractors and their ridiculous arguments. Seeing their reactions if Sakurai had trolled them all would be beautiful.

Chibi Robo
Pretty weird choice. I don't know if he's popular enough for Smash, but it's possible.
Want: 50%
Completely neutral on him. Never played one of his games but I don't hate him or anything.

Mega Hawlucha

Smash Apprentice
:D, Two of my Top Nine.

Ridley Chance: 75%
So um...basically this:

Ridley. It's possible that this has been the single most controversial character topic in Smash history. For all the support he receives, there's also a huge number of people who believe that a playable Ridley is simply impossible at this point. Now, I'd like to tackle this topic myself, and perhaps give people a better idea of just what Ridley's chances are at this point. So, to start things off, let's take a look at Ridley's credentials.

Why should Ridley be in Smash?
For the very few of you who don't already know, Ridley is the main antagonist of the Metroid series, one of Nintendo's most successful series, and is the most recurring character in the series besides Samus herself. Within the context of the games, Ridley is the one responsible for murdering Samus' parents when she was a child, unknowingly creating his arch-nemesis in the process. In that sense, Ridley is the one who started the plot of the entire Metroid series. In almost every Metroid game, Samus has to constantly confront Ridley is some form or another, and somehow he is always able to come back and fight another day. Frankly, Ridley is a pretty important Metroid character, and by extension, is an important Nintendo character. As a result, he would be an excellent choice for Smash.

Now of course, there is a huge amount of controversy about why Ridley shouldn't be in Smash, which usually has to do with him being "too big." However, I do not intend to dwell on that topic, so here's my brief response to that issue: size does not matter in Smash, characters are resized all the time, and there is no reason that Ridley has to be an exception to this rule. Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to talk about about something else: the Ridley we've seen in Smash. Ridley is rather unique among potential Smash characters in that we have already seen him in the game. Or rather, we've seen his shadow, which was shown during a segment of a Smash Direct that talked about the appearance of other boss characters. Considering how Ridley seemed to be teased as a boss character, and considering how he was already a boss in Brawl, it would seem that the logical conclusion would be that Ridley is simply a boss hazard on the Pyrosphere stage, and therefore is de-confirmed. However, I believe that there is more to this than meets the eye.

So, let's take a look at a few points that show why this "de-confirmation" may not actually de-confirm Ridley, and that maybe, just maybe, this could actually help Ridley's chances.

1.) How Sakurai usually de-confirms characters
As unpredictable as Sakurai is, he does have a few patterns that he follows in how he handles some of his reveals. One of these is how he typically de-confirms characters. When he reveals that a character isn't playable, he is quick and to the point about it. He doesn't tease the character beforehand or allow for much opportunity for people to think the character in question may be playable, he just outright de-confirms them. Here are just a few examples of how Sakurai has previously treated non-playable characters.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAABnUYnZZEvggg
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlLqsgn_Q
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKluq9DPhw

As you can see, Sakurai is usually quite clear when he de-confirms characters, and it would seem that he likes to avoid creating unnecessary confusion or false hope amongst fans. This tendency of his was made even more apparent after the recent reveal of Robin and Lucina, when Nintendo made an official statement that Chrom would not be playable after he appeared at the end of Robin's trailer. So what about Ridley? It seems quite clear that Sakurai was teasing Ridley as a boss in that Direct. If that really is all Ridley is, why did Sakurai not clarify what he was? Even if he didn't want to actually show Ridley just yet, it would have been easy and beneficial if he just stated outright that Ridley would not be playable to avoid giving fans false hope. In fact, despite Ridley being heavily teased as a boss, we have yet to see any more of Ridley since the Direct. Despite being teased for almost a whole year now, ever since the reveal of the Pyrosphere, we have been given very little information regarding just what Ridley's role in the game is. If Ridley truly is a boss, there is very little reason for them not to show him at this point, and the way Sakurai has been treating Ridley does not match up at all with how he's previously de-confirmed characters.

2.) How Sakurai has teased newcomers

Just like how Sakurai has a certain method in which he de-confirms characters, he also has a certain method he uses to tease some of the newcomers we've seen so far. The best example of this is Palutena. Prior to her reveal, a new Kid Icarus stage was revealed that featured a Palutena statue. Along with the update came a comment that referred to the statue as a statue of "the Goddess of Light," which also mentioned how she was watching over the battlefield. This is rather interesting because Sakurai was clearly referring to Palutena, yet did not mention her by name, and the way he worded the comment almost made it sound like Palutena would just be a statue in the game. Later on in the Smash Direct, one of the Trophy Quizzes showed off a trophy of Pseudo Palutena, although at first it was shown from an angle that made the trophy look like the real Palutena. This gave a number of Palutena supporters a brief scare. At this point, it was clear that Sakurai was teasing Palutena in some way, and many believed that it was leading to an official confirmation. As it turned out, Palutena was indeed confirmed to be playable at E3.

Looking back, how did Sakurai tease Palutena? He hinted at her presence in the game (though never directly referred to her), and presented the situation in such a way that it appeared to some that she was not going to be playable, ultimately leading to her official reveal. This actually matches up quite well with how Ridley has been teased for so long; his presence in the game has been hinted at, though he has yet to be addressed by name, and he's been presented in such a way that it appears that he won't be playable. When you think about it, it makes sense for Sakurai to make it seem like characters people really want in the game are not playable, only to reveal them as playable later on. After all, it's much more exciting when a character you thought was unlikely gets in than when a character you thought was a guarantee is revealed. So perhaps Sakurai is doing what he did with Palutena to Ridley, in order to maximize hype when he's finally revealed.

3.) Ridley's size

Well, I did say I wasn't going to dwell on the topic of Ridley's size, but this is a somewhat different issue. As we all know, Ridley is a rather large creature, usually about twice Samus' height or more. Also, bosses in Smash are typically large, so that it's harder to dodge their attacks and easier for you to hit them. So, logically, if Ridley is a boss on the Pyrosphere stage, he would be large, and likely significantly bigger than a playable character. However, it appears that the Ridley we saw in the Direct may not be all that large. Basically, shadows on the Pyrosphere appear to be mostly static in size. Because of this, it is possible to get a rough idea of how big Ridley is compared to other characters. Here's an example of such a comparison (keep in mind that these are not 100% accurate).

Looking at this, it would seem that Ridley is relatively close to the size of Bowser. If that's the case, then that means that Ridley has been resized. Why would they shrink Ridley down just to make him a boss? Wouldn't that be counter-productive to making an effective boss? Speaking of effective bosses, that brings me to my next point.

4.) The Ridley we saw does not act like a typical Smash boss

In previous Smash games, bosses have typically followed a fairly basic attack pattern: stand still on part of the stage (usually the left or right ends), followed by either an attack or the boss moving to the other side of the stage while attacking (all this is usually done quickly). This is the basic pattern most bosses in Brawl followed (most notably, Ridley followed this pattern when he was a boss), and judging by how the Yellow Devil functions, it appears that pattern has carried over to this installment of Smash as well. So how does the Ridley we saw in the Direct act, and how does that compare to previous Smash bosses?

Well, Ridley starts out by flying in (slowly) from the right end of the stage, stops in the middle, does nothing for a few seconds, then (slowly) flies over to the left of the stage, and then immediately turns around and starts flying (slowly) towards the right. It's movements are also somewhat jerky and not very fluid.

First of all, that behavior does not match up at all with how Smash bosses typically function. What's most notable about how this Ridley acts is that, within the entire span of time he's on screen, there is no indication that he ever made an attack. Even his basic movements across the stage seem too slow to actually cause damage. That's a good ten seconds or so without a single aggressive move. That not only fails to match how bosses usually function, but frankly, that's just a bad boss design. This "boss" Ridley is essentially a mobile piñata. Not to mention the fact that this would be a very poor representation of Ridley, considering that he's usually a very fast and aggressive opponent in the Metroid games. If this is really a boss Ridley we're seeing, then it's a very poorly designed boss in practically every aspect.

Conclusion
So, what does this all mean? Well, we know that Sakurai usually goes out of his way to clarify when a character is or isn't playable, so it's odd that he has yet to officially de-confirm Ridley. We know that he can ambiguously refer to newcomers prior to their reveals and can tease them in such a way that makes it seem as if they may not be playable, which he has done for both Palutena and Ridley (though whether or not he's playable has yet to be seen). We know that the Ridley we saw in the Direct is not that large, meaning that he could possibly be at a playable size. And we know that the Ridley we saw acts very uncharacteristically for a Smash boss, or just well designed bosses in general. If Ridley really is a boss on the Pyrosphere, then that means that Sakurai, for almost an entire year now, has been teasing and hyping up a relatively small, slow, and fairly harmless boss version of a highly requested and controversial character. While that is a definite possibility, it seems somewhat unlikely. What is perhaps more likely is that Sakurai has been teasing a playable Ridley all this time, lowering our hopes in an elaborate attempt to maximize hype when Ridley finally makes his Smash debut.
Ridley Want: 90%
I'll admit, before the Nintendo Direct I couldn't have cared less about Ridley. I could respect people wanting him in and saw the potential, he just didn't interest me, at all. But after the Direct I wandered into Smashboards and started to watch the character threads, the fan-made movesets within Ridley's thread really brought me.

My want for Ridley also rose a little after seeing Dark Samus deconfirmed :(.

---
Chibi-Robo Chance: 10%
I honestly think this guy has a fair chance, but nothing extraordinary. Honestly, I think this guys saving graces could be that he is the eShop Rep instead of Dillion or Mallo but I'm not too certain on that. His only other chance comes from Sakurai wanting to make a throwback to the Gamecube Era.

Chibi-Robo Want: 80%
My interest for Chibi-Robo raised immensely over the last few days, when I saw his moveset in Super Smash Flash 2. Prior to that, I wasn't even aware his franchise was all that good but now I'm really excited for the potential this guy can bring to the table.

Plus, I'd love an event where Shulk has to take out a bunch of "Mechon's" and it turns out to just be Chibi, R.O.B. and Mega Man. T'would make my day

Last edited:

ChazzzyF

Smash Cadet
As soon as I brag about finding the color tools, I go on vacation and have to post this through mobile...
Oh well.

Ridley:

Chances: 85%

There are just so many signs. So many people are willing to just write Ridley off as "TOO BIG. 0/10. WOULD NOT SMASH" or "SHADOW CONFIRMED. BOSS INCOMING." But if you look at all of the evidence, it seems really weird. Sakurai's never mentioned Ridley by name. He's not said anything about him since the Direct. The weird movement of the shadow. The fact he was teased as a shadow. Sakurai's posts saying that size doesn't matter. Various other weird theories like the Trophy Quiz Theory.
One of these things would get us talking about a character. Two or even three would get us expecting one. But it's Ridley, and we all know that he is a fickle beast.
That's why I'm not putting it higher than I am. But it just seems like this all can't be coincidence.

"Oh, look out. It's a Ridley fan," you may be thinking.
But I actually have a different look on the issue.
Every time a new Smash game is announced, we always have a big discussion over Ridley. And it always turns into a crapshoot between two sides who have some intense feelings on the subject.
I want Ridley to be in Smash Bros to end the discussion. So that when we get to Smash 5, we don't have to dust off the same old Ridley arguments and we can just be done with it.

And now...

Chibi-Robo:

Chance: 5%

I'm surprised this is a huge argument, but here's my take on it.
Now is the time for Sakurai to pull out his big guns. This is not a big gun.
And if there are only a few newcomers left, there are a lot of people that out-prioritize him.
It could happen, but it won't happen.

Want: 0%
I'm gonna be honest here. I just don't care. Plain and simple, I don't care about Chibi-Robo.

Lastly, I put my 5 nominations on a New 3DS Sonic stage. We got Green Hill Zone returning for 3DS, and I wonder if that will be it, or if we'll see a new one. Plus, it's more interesting than my original idea.

Last edited:

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
Ridley

Chance: 45%
Want: 5% Why? The sheer amount of memes and jokes. I'm also tired of people talking about him. If he gets in, good for his fans though.

Chibi Robo

Chance: 10%
Want: 50% He looks cute and somewhat interesting.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
Ridley

I'm sorry, but I think that ship has sailed. All of this theorizing about how his movement patterns and lack of attacks means he's playable just tells me he was not a finished boss at the time of the Direct. We already know many other stages weren't finished either, such as Alphonse being absent in the demo and Zapdos appearing in Lumiose without animation. I think we haven't gotten much more on him due to the fact that most bosses weren't finished.

In addition, nobody in Japan cares about him. He is not nearly as popular there as he is here, so I don't have high hopes for him. I am leaving ten percent tho because Little Mac is also not popular in Japan.

Want: 80%

He's awesome, I want him in. Plus, to be honest, the fact that he has not been confirmed is a huge detriment to speculation. There are very few characters Sakurai can add now that won't have people saying "This got in over Ridley?" My most wanted newcomer, the Chorus Men, would be pretty much hated due to this. And I can see why.He's one of the few universally desired characters here on the boards, and is very deserving to be in.

I think, for our sakes, he should just get confirmed already.

Chibi-Roni: Abstain

Ditto Pokeball x5

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ridley

I'm sorry, but I think that ship has sailed. All of this theorizing about how his movement patterns and lack of attacks means he's playable just tells me he was not a finished boss at the time of the Direct. We already know many other stages weren't finished either, such as Alphonse being absent in the demo and Zapdos appearing in Lumiose without animation. I think we haven't gotten much more on him due to the fact that most bosses weren't finished.
But if they're willing to show parts of the game that aren't finished, like Alphonzo, Zapdos, or Nabbit, why wouldn't they actually show him?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Ridley:
10% chance. I go by what is implied, and that is he is a stage boss; I really don't see him in whatsoever.
95% want. We need more villains, I love Ridleys aesthetic, he's super iconic, awesome moveset potential, and the list goes on. One of my most wanted, I'll be the first in the I was wrong thread if he's confirmed playable.

Chibi robo:
10% chance. I just don't see him getting in either, it's super unlikely in my view.

75% want. I have great memories playing chibi robo as a kid, and he is an awesome little robot. I would jump with joy if he's in, but I wouldn't necessarily be disappointed if he isn't.

Last edited:

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
But if they're willing to show parts of the game that aren't finished, like Alphonzo, Zapdos, or Nabbit, why wouldn't they actually show him?
A non functional boss would be presumably more of an issue than any of those three. Alphonzo and Zapdos stay in the background, and Nabbit just isn't present in the demo.

As for why they didn't remove Ridley to have Pyrosphere playable, that could be due to any number of reasons. Maybe they didn't feel another neutral stage would represent the game well, or maybe there is some other major aspect of the stage that had not been finished that would render it unplayable. Any number of reasons they didn't just take him out for the demo.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
A non functional boss would be presumably more of an issue than any of those three. Alphonzo and Zapdos stay in the background, and Nabbit just isn't present in the demo.

As for why they didn't remove Ridley to have Pyrosphere playable, that could be due to any number of reasons. Maybe they didn't feel another neutral stage would represent the game well, or maybe there is some other major aspect of the stage that had not been finished that would render it unplayable. Any number of reasons they didn't just take him out for the demo.
That's still not much of an excuse to at least show Ridley in a picture.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Then again, even if Ridley isn't finished, why couldn't they just show him off in a form of non-animated media, like a PotD? Sakurai stated he dislikes false hype, and went out of his way to explicitly deconfirm characters that weren't playable (numerous assist trophies like Dillon, Ashley and Waluigi for example). So, why does Ridley get the special treatment of being completely ignored? It just doesn't add up.

FancysaurusRex

Smash Apprentice
That's still not much of an excuse to at least show Ridley in a picture.
There all sorts of things we haven't seen in a picture. For instance, bosses. We've seen what, two? It's clear Sakurai isn't too keen on showing them off yet, for whatever reason.

I'm not trying to rain on your hype or anything. The thread is about what we think a character's chances are, and I just listed what i think Ridley's chances are, and why I feel that way. I don't think this is the place for us to debate this tho, so we should probably move this elsewhere? Our are debates okay in this thread?

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
Ridley
Chance- 85%: I'm not going to bother explaining this one because I've done it many times already and there's already enough walls of text explaining why he's likely.

Want- 100%: I haven't played that many Metroid games, but Ridley deserves a spot more than any other character from franchises that already have representation. He's also really cool. And I want to see the reactions of all the people who thought he'd be too big.

Chibi Robo

Chance- 10%: I can't see it happening. There's a lot of newcomers who should get in before him and I doubt there's more than 5 or 6 newcomers left. He also can't really be a clone of anyone who's already in, so he can't be a last minute addition. The only thing that's working for him is Sakurai being Sakurai and doing things that nobody sees coming.

Want- 80%: He's pretty cute and has some nice moveset potential. I've never played Chibi Robo, but I always wanted to as a kid. The one time I was going to buy Chibi Robo, I saw Super Smash Bros Melee and bought that instead (I think I made the right decision lol). I've had the urge to play Chibi Robo for so many years, but I probably never will get around to it, so playing as Chibi Robo in smash will have to do.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
I have a mini-rant. I don't understand how Chibi Robo of all characters won(lost?) the title of most overrated, while Ridley won the underrated title. How exactly do you explain that when Robo's rating is half of the average Ridley's ratings are? Ridley's lowest rating is higher than Robo's highest rating. I feel like people ganged up on poor Chibi Robo for the sake of another fan favorite not being labeled as the most overrated. Also about Ridley winning the underrated title, I disagree because there's been about 3-4 other characters already confirmed and all rated much lower than Ridley's lowest rating. I'm not seeing exactly how he's being underrated, he's fifth place on the chart as it is.

Anyways back to rating

Ridley
chance 25%
want 50%

I originally was going to give him a 15% chance rating but someone made an argument in the previous page that seems kind of convincing so I bumped the score up a little. It is a little weird that his boss fight is kind of slow, but Sakurai has been quiet about all stage bosses except for Yellow Devil and my impression after the reveal was that he was going to be a stage boss. A recruitable/unlockable character and boss could be a possibility.

Chibi Robo
chance 20%
want 50%

I think if any unrepresented series character should be labeled overrated its Isaac, not Chibi-Robo. Like Isaac Chibi Robo would represent a new series, unlike Isaac Chibi Robo continued into this generation. I'm not really feeling a character though, I'd say he has a better chance as an assist. However he is very deserving of some representation.

x5 John Raimi

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
RIDLEY

Chance - 51%
This number is extremely difficult for me to change in either direction. As it's always been, there is evidence on both ends of the spectrum. I don't believe Sakurai has been constantly teasing Ridley, but he definitely has been teased twice. Sakurai's general behavior toward potential characters has been consistent, and his behavior toward Ridley is not that of a non-playable character, but neither is it toward a playable character. Palutena almost got the exact same treatment and ended up on the roster. Ridley is similar but not equal. If it was, I'd jump it up to 75%. Finally, Sakurai's behavior regarding "boss hazards" has been peculiar. It seems Yellow Devil is just one of several of these characters, yet the way Sakurai acts you'd think Yellow Devil is completely unique. Other stage hazards have barely gotten the same kind of attention. While the Wii U version of the game won't be due for a few more months, I would have expected something. It's almost as if, possibly, Sakurai is biding his time for something.

Ultimately it continue's to be a looong waiting game, contemplating just how Sakurai plans to reveal Ridley, if he plans at all to do so individually.

Want - 100%
ALL OF MY WANTS!! YOU ARE MY DREAM!!!! When you've literally have had several dreams regarding Ridley's chances, you know you got it bad! It's the big Christmas present you're desperately hoping you get. The team favorite you're rooting to win the national championship. The awesome toy on the back of the cereal box you've collected so many UPC labels for and beg for mommy to buy you one more box before the offer expires!!

CHIBI-ROBO

Chance - 15%
Err Chibi-Robo probably could have been playable if he was more popular and a tad more recent. At least I think he's not as recent. In my mind I'm seeing Assist Trophy material, kind of like how Dillon became an Assist. It's still possible, but quickly dwindling at this point.

Want - 45%
Not interested, but don't have anything against him either. Not really feeling 50/50 on it however.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Let's size up the competition:

In this corner, we have the giant fire breathing space dragon from Zebes. It's Ridley!!!!
Chance: 20% He's been teased mercilessly as a stage boss, and he'll probably stay that way.
Want: 10% It's not his fault, but he's a perfect boss. I don't really want him playable.

In the other corner, weighing in at under a pound, it's Chibi Robo!
Chance: 40% Look, there's three things that Sakurai is considering. Relevancy, Popularity, and Uniqueness. Chibi has all three. He had a recent game on the 3DS, has been noted as a fan favorite, and could have a unique moveset based around his plug. The main argument against him is that he isn't star material. I'm betting that he will get in as a hidden character, to help promote his games.
Want: 100% He's my most wanted newcomer.

There's one troll rating that we definitely need to do.
Hannebow x15

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Ridley - 75%
Why Ridley is likely has been thoroughly explained by others (@ False Sense False Sense did a great one), so I'll just say that I think Ridley's the single character that benefits most from the post-Gematsu fallout. The ridiculous teasing campaign has seemingly indicated that Ridley's in the cards, but it's been difficult to say for sure. Now that we've not only had Gematsu deconfirmed but had a major newcomer candidate in Chrom swiftly and definitively deconfirmed as well, Ridley's situation stands out all the more and I now think it's more likely than not it's leading up to him being playable. Nintendo's not dumb: they have to know the effect holding out so long on news for one of the most desired characters would be, and to end it all with Ridley only being a boss right before or as the game releases would be a bizarre misstep that could only harm the potential success of the game.
Want - 75% - Though I'm not a fan of the purple space dragon myself, I strongly believe both that Metroid deserves the third character slot and that Ridley fans deserve to finally get their character.

Chibi-Robo - 5%
Plausible, but I'm not sure why Chibi-Robo would get in when the likes of Saki and Dillon could not. Is Chibi-Robo really so popular that it deserves to get in when other small but notable franchises could not? I could see Sakurai going for it, but I also think SSB4 has long since filled its quota of unusual characters/non-fighters, even more so if/when a Rhythm Heaven character shows up, and thus have to believe Chibi's more likely for DLC than anything else.
Want - 25% - Could potentially be interesting, but I'd be unhappy if he got in before some more interesting/deserving characters.

Groose

Smash Champion
I can't wait to watch all of our theories and speculation burn to ashes once we finally see what's really in the game. Then we'll probably be able to see things clearly and realize how ridiculous we (including myself) have acted.
This reminds me of the mission statement of Rate Their Chances:
"This game exists to show us just how miserably wrong we were about everything when the game is released."

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This reminds me of the slogan of Rate Their Chances:
"This game exists to show us just how miserably wrong we were about everything when the game comes is released."
I assume this is why most of our predictions and theories on how the roster is decided end up being completely and utterly wrong?

Ex: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Toon Link, Rosalina, Lucario, Greninja, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and No-Chrom.

Burigu

Smash Ace
Yikes. That's a big post...

I'm impressed (and slightly honored) that you devoted so much time to respond to me. However, I disagree with most of what you said.

To the :4tlink::4mii::4palutena: part, you yourself say two out of three of those are really picky and shallow arguments, which I agree with, so I won't bother with those two. And with Palutena, well, trophies are statues to. :troll: But seriously, in my opinion it doesn't hold much of an argument (To me, obviously it does to you) that people claim a trophy disconfirms a character when Sakurai doesn't specify that they aren't playable.
Good you don't took it as an attack some people take this kind of post so nice.

Well they might be picky but they are true even if the evidence or the fact is so random to even consider they are true.
Toon Link isn't the same person as Spirit Tracks Link
Mii fighters got that name for some reason too, we don't see Mii racers or Mii sporter on other games the distintion is way clear
Palutena, still a statue isn't a person, the character and her characteristics where never shown until reveal.

And I'd like to point out that I clarified that I thought each of the listed characters was unlikely, however, that does not mean they are impossible. I don't think Tiki has a remote chance, Zoroark and Lip have very very slim chances, Isa, Wonder Red and Rayman (Might as well throw Dark Pit into this) are unlikely. (Although I consider Rayman to have the best shot, but I'll go into that argument when I finish nominating him)

"What NEWCOMER has been shown in a trailer and not being confirmed right away? you and I know the answer."

You are right. None have been shown and not immediately confirmed. And once we know the final roster, we will know it is a fact that Sakurai stayed true to this. But as of right now, this is only an assumption and can not be used as a basis of fact.
Well to be fair the assumption Sakurai won't continue this trent has less groud to stand than Sakurai keeping the trend, and I prefer to stay on the site of evidence, every newcomer has been revealed at a trailer so far is a fact, if a character changes that, then and only then said character will set the precedent.

What I want to say is, UNTIL now we have a pattern and with every reveal that pattern has more credibility, while the assumption Sakurai would behave different in reveals so far has zero evidence in its favor as in "hey remember Dark Pit, he is actually his own character, we only wanted to troll you". That day has yet to come, and the probability it could actually happen is really really really really slim.

In my eyes the evidence against this premise is so strong right now and any character shown without a proper reveal has the same chances of being playable as Master Chief, and the launch date is only a month and a half, the time to make this BIG move grows even shorter. And a big trailer revealing all of those characters is also unrealistic. Dark Pit, Rayman, Wonder Red, Tiki, Lip and every other character that I might be missing. We can expect them to by revealed separately because Sakurai already said TRAILERS are running off and the slots on the roster too.

I think at this point the more likely characters to be revealed are: Ridley, Rool or Dixie and Shulk and we are still missing the almost confirmed Wario, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, Ness, Meta Knight and almost every character in Brawl safe some, with the characters revealed already, the veterans still very likely to return and Sakurai saying trailers are ending, it is really hard to believe that every of these characters not right out confimed stand a realistic chance

This message was supossed to be posted yesterday buyt Smashboards went on maintanance.

My scores
Ridley:
Chance 50%
Want: 75%

Chibi Robo
Chance: 1%
Want: 0%

Nominations
Amazon Pandora x 5

I am not feeling really good right know that is way I am not explaining my scores

Last edited:

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
I assume this is why most of our predictions and theories on how the roster is decided end up being completely and utterly wrong?

Ex: Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Toon Link, Rosalina, Lucario, Greninja, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and No-Chrom.
Well, to be fair you lot at least got Palutena right.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Cheebo:
Chance; 25-40%
Great moveset potential, pretty darn popular if I do say so myself, plus his size can be worked with.
YES PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE.

"Big as Sh=t!":
Chance: 99%
The 1% is the killer. And we don't want Shokio rubbing anything in our faces if that 1% happens. But with all the teasing and subtle hints, I'm gonna say he's probably playable 99%.
Want: 99% (Yes,IputthishigherthanMewtwoagainpleasedon'thurtme)
Although I support Ridley, I just think he "Fits" the Boss Scenario quite a bit. But again, my explanation with the Chance % still plays.

Actual nominations~
Sceptile (Playable) x3
Kirby Air Ride Stage x2

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Ridley
-Chance: 50% I seriously don't know at this point, it could go either way in my opinion, is Sakurai just teasing him as a hazard? could all the teasing pointing at playable status, i got no idea.

-Want: 100% Well duh.

Chibi Robo
-Chance: 10% I don't think he's got a chance, but of course Sakurai has proved us wrong in those regards before :troll:.

-Want: 30% I got to admit, there's a certain charm to the little robot, but he's definitely not a character i'll be that exited for.

Nomination: CROWNED X 5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ridley chances : 98 %
Actually I could give him lower ranking if it wasn't for the fact than I did researches about Pyrosphere (I had to do because I didn't played Other M and I don't plan to do). When I see low rankings below 20 % I feel than the other posters aren't aware than Ridley is NOT the only possibility as a Pyrosphere stage hazard: actually, in the original Othem M there are other bosses to fight in the Pyrosphere, like Goyagma and Vorash. I'm even surprised to not see this argument used by Ridley supporters. Probably it's due to the fact than Sakurai tweeted about « an enemy from Samus's past », Ridley being arguably more linked to Samus's past than other Pyrosphere bosses that only appeared in Other M, but I don't think than it proves anything.
Sakurai already teased a stage boss when Pyrosphere was revealed in PotD, then teased this idea again in April Direct, pretty much confirming than Pyrosphere actually has a stage boss; I mean, why he would say « Yellow Devil isn't the only stage boss there are ones in other stages as well » on a stage WITHOUT stage boss? But at the same time, nothing proves than Ridley is indeed that stage boss. Add the fact than Ridley wasn't named, blatantly shown (we see only his shadow and a part of a wing), nor outright deconfirmed like pretty much every deconfirmed character did, and that means than if Ridley is eventually deconfirmed, all that teasing for an highly requested character who is a downgraded version of the role he played in Brawl would finally go to waste. Really Ridley playable and another creature from Other M as a stage boss is the only logical explanation I can think of about all this teasing. I'm not giving a 100 % rate because maybe Sakurai actually wanted to tease Ridley as a stage boss for some reason, but that would be the entire opposite of how he teased Palutena and Little Mac and how he clearly deconfirmed other characters.

Ridley want : 37 %
Well, I written two paragraphs to explain how Ridley being not playable is pretty much impossible IMO unless Sakurai wants to be the ultimate troll and not a funny one, and I give only 37 % ? Yes I'd like to see how Ridley would manage as a playable character, being probably the total opposite of Little Mac due to mostly aerial game. I had little experience with Metroid (I only played Prime 3 for a few hours), but what really hurts my want rate is Ridley's design in Other M. Really I don't like it at all, and Ridley would be easily the ugliest character in Smash history, because if Ridley is indeed playable he would most likely have this design. That's sad because all other Ridley designs look much better, I'm still hoping for them as alternate costumes.

--------

Chibi-Robo chances : 6 %
Post-Brawl revelancy seems to be one of the key elements to allow to a character not playable in SSBB to become playable in SSB4 (every SSB4 newcommer so far check this asides from guests of course), and I'm not sure than Chibi-Robo fits this criterion. All he had was a remake plus an e-Shop game, and I don't think it's enough.

Chibi-Robo want : abstain
I don't know enough about him to give a want rate.

Edit, nominating:
> Concept: more Poké/Master Ball Pokémon than the ones in the demo x3
> Item: Spinner (from TLoZ: Twilight Princess) x2

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ridley is NOT the only possibility as a Pyrosphere stage hazard: actually, in the original Other M there are other bosses to fight in the Pyrosphere, like Goyagma and Vorash.
RIDLEY CONFIRMED

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Chibi-Robo chances : 6 %
Post-Brawl revelancy seems to be one of the key elements to allow to a character not playable in SSBB to become playable in SSB4 (every SSB4 newcommer so far check this asides from guests of course), and I'm not sure than Chibi-Robo fits this criterion. All he had was a remake plus an e-Shop game, and I don't think it's enough.
He has actually had 2 DS titles with only one of them staying in Japan and the other being released elsewhere. The 3ds e-shop title is also a sequel, not a remake so he isn't really that terribly obscure or irrelevant in comparison to other characters who are brought up or even already in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Ridley

Chance: 1%

I'm sorry, Ridley fans. Sakurai may be a troll, but I don't think it would take him several months after that Direct to say, "Ridley's not a boss, he's playable."

Want: 10000000000000000% That's TOO BIG, so I'll give him 100%.

Ridley is an iconic villain with a long, storied history of fighting one of gaming's most iconic bounty hunters, so of course he should be playable.

I abstain from Chibi-Robo.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Ridley
Chance: 18% - The spike on his tail is pretty much the same size as Pikachu and his wingspan is huge. Seems like a stage hazard to me.
Want: 66% - Would be a cool edition.

Chibi Robo
Chance: 9% - He's a recurring Nintendo protagonist, that's got to count for a bit.
Want: 73% - He has my full support.

Predictions
DLC newcomers: 74%
Crash: 0%
Tropical Freeze representation: 51%

Nominations: Birdo x5

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom