• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances: GAME OVER! Join the RTC Social Group Today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Gonna play it safe and abstain for everything today. I know nothing about Issac or Takamaru's franchises that I don't think I could give either of them a fair rate.

Predictions:

Solid Snake: 10% - With Sakurai promoting Mario, MegaMan, Sonic and Pac-Man in the game it leaves very little room for Snake.

Lucas: 10% - Practically everyone having total faith in the leak.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Isaac:
Chance: 20%. The only thing that saves him is him not being an assist trophy (for now) and the fact that Golden Sun 2 isn't released for the Virtual Console yet, so there is still a chance he's announced at the next direct together with that. He isn't included in Gematsu, and Shulk himself is a competitor as a JRPG swordfighter.
Want 100%. I love his series. He also has SO much moveset potential. He could do a lot of things a a magic kinght with his Psynergy, or he could use his Djinns.
EDIT: Side note, best case scenario would be both Isaac and Shulk for me.

Takamaru:
Chance: 20%. He got a Virtual Console release as well as a Nintendo Land attraction. Nintendo certainly hasn't forgotten him.
However, there is still Gematsu, and although he is a samurai, would he be similar to the Ninjas?
Want: ...abstain. Can't really rate this. Meh.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Isaac's chances: 30% - Still the most likely assist trophy upgrade by far, but it's becoming less likely that a second would happen.
Want: 100% - Third most wanted.

Takamaru's chances: 50% - Second most likely non-Gematsu behind only K. Rool. He's a fairly popular retro who's been getting quite a bit of attention in the past few years.
Want: 10% - Really not interested in him at all. There are only a few retro characters that I wouldn't pick over him.

Snake prediction: 24.21%
Lucas prediction: 36.45%

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Isaac
Chance: 33%

1/3 chance that Little Mac wasn't the only Assist Trophy to make the leap, Isaac is by far the most popular AT candidate for this.

Want: 88%
I feel Golden Sun's done enough to technically warrant Isaac's inclusion honestly. He has enough to work with for at least three totally unique movesets. Isaac's inclusion would hopefully encourage more releases of the franchises.

Takamaru
Chance: 30%

Retro characters are still kind of likely I guess, but will probably be secret. Takamaru is one of the forerunners still not deconfirmed. MAYBE DLC instead though. Or not in at all.

Want: 0%
Sorry, but he still doesn't interest me in the slightest. There are more interesting swordsmen waiting to get into Smash, and many more famous faces I'd prefer to see before Takamaru turns up.

D

Deleted member

I've already started typing up Lucina's chance's section...
I typed up a whole chance chart for this day! I'm interested in what you have to say for Lucina.

Isaac
Chance:
30%

Golden Sun had a recent revival on the Virtual Console, and a rather successful one at that. The question is, did it really affect the development of Smash 4? Possibly, but I think that it is a bit too late to consider.
I do find him to be next in line as the next Assist Trophy to become a fighter. Personally though, I don't think that his survival from April and E3 is very significant considering that he was a hidden Assist Trophy.
I lowered his chances because of the Gematsu leak. When it comes to a non-Gematsu newcomer getting in the game, I have a feeling that character would be King K. Rool. I don't think that there is much room for Isaac.
I've avoided Awakening for so long due to the Fire Emblem discussion and I ended up getting it and loved it.
I suppose a similar situation will happen if I get Golden Sun. I'm holding it off because of the Shulk vs. Isaac wars, but I bet that I might enjoy it as much as I enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
As it stands though... I'm still bitter about these fights and I'm holding off on getting the game now.

Takamaru
Chance:
30%

I've mentioned on the Cooldown day that I would give Takamaru a 40%. However... I am not really seeing Takamaru get in Smash.
Arguably, I say that Little Mac could be our retro character. The way that he is presented and the way he references past Punch Out!! games is making me really question if he is our token retro rep.
Takamaru is still the most likely out of all the retros that could appear in Smash now due to being the most requested one. Though, while he is the most requested, his requests are still a bit small.
I also lowered his rating due to the Gematsu leak. I don't think that Takamaru will get in over the Gematsu characters or alongside them. If he doesn't make it in this one, he's a good contender for the next one, especially when some people are aware of him since his game is now on the Virtual Console.
Want: 100%
Takamaru isn't as incredible as The Incredible Shulk, but he's still pretty cool. He's at the lower end of my top 10.

Snake Prediction: 34.75%
I'm really questioning his fate now. I'm thinking that he didn't make the cut after when Sakurai has been promoting the battle between Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
Lucas Prediction: 59.24%
The No Cuts Crowd and the Gematsu believers will even out the scores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I typed up a whole chance chart for this day! I'm interested in what you have to say for Lucina.

Isaac
Chance:
30%

Golden Sun had a recent revival on the Virtual Console, and a rather successful one at that. The question is, did it really affect the development of Smash 4? Possibly, but I think that it is a bit too late to consider.
I do find him to be next in line as the next Assist Trophy to become a fighter. Personally though, I don't think that his survival from April and E3 is very significant considering that he was a hidden Assist Trophy.
I lowered his chances because of the Gematsu leak. When it comes to a non-Gematsu newcomer getting in the game, I have a feeling that character would be King K. Rool. I don't think that there is much room for Isaac.
I've avoided Awakening for so long due to the Fire Emblem discussion and I ended up getting it and loved it.
I suppose a similar situation will happen if I get Golden Sun. I'm holding it off because of the Shulk vs. Isaac wars, but I bet that I might enjoy it as much as I enjoy Xenoblade Chronicles and Fire Emblem: Awakening.
As it stands though... I'm still bitter about these fights and I'm holding off on getting the game now.

Takamaru
Chance:
30%

I've mentioned on the Cooldown day that I would give Takamaru a 40%. However... I am not really seeing Takamaru get in Smash.
Arguably, I say that Little Mac could be our retro character. The way that he is presented and the way he references past Punch Out!! games is making me really question if he is our token retro rep.
Takamaru is still the most likely out of all the retros that could appear in Smash now due to being the most requested one. Though, while he is the most requested, his requests are still a bit small.
I also lowered his rating due to the Gematsu leak. I don't think that Takamaru will get in over the Gematsu characters or alongside them. If he doesn't make it in this one, he's a good contender for the next one.
Takamaru isn't as incredible as The Incredible Shulk, but he's still pretty cool. He's at the lower end of my top 10.

Snake Prediction: 34.75%
I'm really questioning his fate now. I'm thinking that he didn't make the cut after when Sakurai has been promoting the battle between Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.
Lucas Prediction: 59.24%
The No Cuts Crowd and the Gematsu believers will even out the scores.
Thanks! Also, I bet they're just going to SNEAK Snake into the game.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Isaac:
Chance: 15% - Most likely behind K. Rool and Takamaru if we get another non-Gematsu newcomer.
Want: 90% He's legit.

Takamaru:
Chance: 75% - That comment "If Takamaru gets a revival I will probably put him in Smash Bros."

Predictions:
Snake: 45.67%
Lucas: 42.36%

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Isaac Chance: 15% Same as before, I do believe people are overexaggerating Golden Sun's success and history with Nintendo, his series is actually in the same middle boat series as Starfy and Custom Robo. . Golden Sun's biggest con is probably Dark Dawn, which was the most recent installment that received the worst crtical reception.

Takamaru Chance: 65% I'm giving him about the same chance as I gave Shulk before Gematsu assured his playable appearance. I strongly believe that this is the revival character Sakurai is picking as our first (second if you believe Mac is a classic character) retro character. He does have enough to take from his Famicom game to be a unique character such as his invisibility cloak, fireballs, and his swift samurai sword. This time is clearly his biggest shot with his game being released outside of Japan, the appearances in Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendoland, it's clearly building up to Takamaru being playable in Smash 4.

Snake Prediction: 31.45%
Lucas Prediction: 34.27% R.I.P. Lucas, why did it have to come to time constraints. :(

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Isaac
Chance- 33%
Want- 100%

Takamaru

Chance- 36%
Want- 60%

Too busy to explain today, but I wanted to put my scores out there.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Isaac:

Chance: 17.5%
Entirely possible, but not in the leak nor a character that's been teased at all. His best chance is DLC at this point.

Want: 70%
He'd be cool. I haven't played his games, but I think I'd enjoy him in Smash.

My new current top ten:

Shulk 85% (RTC: 91.70%)
Chrom 70% (RTC: 88.82%)
Chorus Men 70% (RTC: 81.25%)
Takamaru 67.5% (RTC: 46.06%)
King K. Rool 65% (RTC: 53.62%)
Ridley: 55% (RTC: 48.41%)
Robin 25% (RTC: 25.83%)
Bandana Dee 20% (RTC: 24.72%)
Isaac 17.5% (RTC: 43.07%)
Dixie Kong 15% (RTC: 40.85%)

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Isaac's chance: 60% Can go either way, but his absence as an Assist Throphy in the demo makes me believe he has more chance to be playable.
Isaac's want: 100% He's too cool!

Takamaru's chance: 5% I can't see it happening.
Takamaru's want: 75% Would be cool.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Isaac is like 30% i guess, he has a strong fan support and some people seem to underestimate that.
Thats not enough for sure but if they are planning in give the series another chance he may very well appear, and not being a confirmed AT is a torture really.
Want: 80%

Takamaru gets 99%, his only problem is the roster size and some may add the "little mac is our retro" argument, which is kinda true. Not a big trouble in my opinion, if rossy growing importance was a thing takamaru getting a revival may very well be a fact so yeah, 100% want :p

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Isaac

He could be another promoted AT. Dark Dawn did do worse than the previous installments. He has fan demand and move set potential (although we do have a lot of swordsmen).

But there aren't many slots left, IMO.

Isaac chances: 25%

Isaac want: 70%
I like Golden Sun, but I don't have strong feelings about Isaac per se.

Takamaru

I thought these scores would be a lot lower. It must have something with Pacack calling the Takamaru crew over... 99% is simply a ludicrous score to give to Takamaru. Sakurai has given NO hints towards his inclusion, unlike the hints we saw for Little Mac, Palutena and Pac-Man pre-reveal.

We have Pac-Man being heavy retro, Mega Man with a very retro move set, and Little Mac who got in on the strength of his retro games.

Little Mac might have the Wii design but 1. his retro design was not as iconic as some other retro characters 2. he was kinda ugly in Brawl and 3. when Pit got in, he got a significant redesign - but Little Mac conveniently already had one. I'm not really sure what design you would expect him to have - even without the Wii game, he likely would have been given a more modern look.

Punch-Out Wii sold a lot less than the NES game, so I think he got in on the strength of the classic games. And the fan demand, which given that it was there for Brawl, also has a lot more to do with the classic games than the reboot.

So anyway, yeah, basically I think a lot of Takamaru's support comes from an assumption that none of these characters count as retro and that because Sakurai likes reviving old franchises this means he MUST pick a retro to try to revive. It might be that he picked Pit because he had some specific attraction to that series? Sakurai could simply not pick any retro aside from the three that I mentioned.

That said, Takamaru has a lot of cameos in recent years, and would be the most obvious choice for a new retro (where retro means that they haven't had any new entries since like 1995). He has pretty good move set potential as well, although I would note that one of his primary moves has shown up in multiple move sets already though (Greninja and Mii Swordfighter's shuriken moves).

I don't think the samurai vs. Western sword play matters that much. This isn't Soul Calibur where all the different types of swordplay are different and interesting, a samurai doesn't bring as much to the table in Smash as Mitsurugi does in SC.

Also, the fact that he's Japan-exclusive can't be ignored. It matters.

And there simply isn't a lot of room left... Sakurai's love of retro or not, it's hard to see him as being as likely, much less more likely, than heavy hitters like K Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, or any Brawl veterans.

Takamaru chances: 23.5%
A drop from before. There's less space, less obvious need for a retro. The Mii shuriken is a minor factor.

Takamaru want: 35%
Mostly indifferent. I'd rather have Isaac or Ganondorf as a magic+sword-user. He's not the only option for new and interesting move sets, so I don't really get why the want is so high for a character that almost everyone here actually has no connection to (how many have actually played his game?!).

Predictions:
Snake - 33%
Predicting a further drop. There's less space, and he's definitely the odd one out in the Mario+Sonic+Mega Man+Pac-Man group. But I'm not sure why people are predicting so low... He's still a Brawl veteran, although I'm not a fan, I admit he'd still be a hype reveal for pre-launch from a marketing perspective, and ZSS's FS really means nothing (see: Landmaster, Triforce Slash, Light Arrow, and there are plenty of mechanically similar FS's).

Lucas - 33%
The leaker never said that Ness or Lucas would definitely be cut. They could both be in. Which means Lucas has a chance of beating Ness, and a chance of neither being cut. But apparently other people are taking this as much more definite, so I'll predict low.

Isaac Chance: 15% Same as before, I do believe people are overexaggerating Golden Sun's success and history with Nintendo, his series is actually in the same middle boat series as Starfy and Custom Robo.
Golden Sun has about twice the sales of Starfy and three times the sales of Custom Robo. More sales than Earthbound and Kid Icarus, similar sales to Punch-Out and Pikmin (prior to Pikmin 3). Unlike Starfy, it's not mostly Japan-exclusive.

3.7 million makes it a small series, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat as Custom Robo.
There is a theory that the Shuriken the Mii uses was taken from Takamaru and not Greninja, however, I doubt Takamaru, would use a Shuriken (why would he?), so I don't use this in his favor
Takamaru would use shurikens because throwing shurikens is one of Takamaru's standard moves in the game. The A-button uses the katana if applicable (near to an enemy, or needing to block a projectile), otherwise it throws a shuriken.
since [Mewtwo] isn't a newcomer, the Gematsu Leak does not apply.
The Gematsu leak was never claimed to "apply" to anything. He never said he would only reveal newcomer info, he never said he gave us a complete list, etc. etc. We don't know why Mewtwo was not mentioned.

What the Gematsu leak does do, however, is fill more slots on the roster. Which does affect basically every character's chances but the most safe veterans. Even if you think we're getting a 60 character roster, that affects it.

But what I would say is that the Gematsu leaker never said that he gave us a complete list! For all we know, 1. he will reveal more of the roster closer to launch or 2. he never knew the full newcomer list or 3. he is just holding back information.

But given the roster size I expected in the first place (47-51), there's some serious competition for the final slots if Chrom, Shulk and Chorus Men are in.

The other thing I would say is that if we see a non-Gematsu newcomer in the next couple months, I will (and I think others should) revise our scores upward for other non-Gematsu newcomers + Mewtwo.

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Isaac:
Chance: 15% I'm feeling pessimistic about him. Sakurai has made Assist Trophies out of characters who deserve to be playable (Saki and Starfy) plus he's another sword wielder. It's not a good combination for him.
Want: 85% That being said, I really like his character, and I hope he gets in.

Takamaru:
Chance: 45% He's been released outside of Japan for the first time ever. That makes him very likely for inclusion. However, two things are holding him back. He's not part of the Gematsu leak, and Mii Swordfighter + Greninja have stolen some of his uniqueness. It could go either way with him, but I'm leaning towards no.
Want: 20% Okay, there's a lot of debate that a samurai is different from a ninja. However, we have several characters already in the game that use a sword with other medieval weaponry. That really hurts my opinion of him. I suppose they could make him unique, but I would rather have other characters besides him.

Predictions:
Snake: 40.2% He's unlikely, but I don't think people will care that much.
Lucas: 60.8% Even with the Leak, people are still going to be saying he's a veteran.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Isaac is like 30% i guess, he has a strong fan support and some people seem to underestimate that.
Thats not enough for sure but if they are planning in give the series another chance he may very well appear, and not being a confirmed AT is a torture really.
Want: 80%

Takamaru gets 99%, his only problem is the roster size and some may add the "little mac is our retro" argument, which is kinda true. Not a big trouble in my opinion, if rossy growing importance was a thing takamaru getting a revival may very well be a fact so yeah, 100% want :p
Dude, 99% is a bit high. Groose may not count your score if it's that high. The want's fine, but can you be more realistic with the chance scores?

Takamaru

I thought these scores would be a lot lower. It must have something with Pacack calling the Takamaru crew over... 99% is simply a ludicrous score to give to Takamaru. Sakurai has given NO hints towards his inclusion, unlike the hints we saw for Little Mac, Palutena and Pac-Man pre-reveal.
My apologies for Sobre. His chance score is indeed too high. But I tried to make it clear that I'm inviting them here primarily to increase his want score. So please do not blame me for that.

So anyway, yeah, basically I think a lot of Takamaru's support comes from an assumption that none of these characters count as retro and that because Sakurai likes reviving old franchises this means he MUST pick a retro to try to revive. It might be that he picked Pit because he had some specific attraction to that series? Sakurai could simply not pick any retro aside from the three that I mentioned.
I would normally stop there, but I need to respond to this.

You do know that Sakurai outright confirmed that he's going to try to add another retro to this game, right?

Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that we're not getting a retro at this point because of that quote, which, for the record, was in the time frame that Sakurai started work on the roster. And I don't think Little Mac counts because he was specifically asked about "breathing life into forgotten franchises". He isn't breathing life into Punch-Out!! and reviving the series by including Little Mac since that's already been done with his Wii game (even if it wasn't extremely successful), which is what he confirmed he's going to try to do. And I don't think Pac-Man or Mega Man count in even the vaguest sense because they are third parties that have had many recent games.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Regarding uniqueness of moves, keep in mind that it's not just two types of shuriken, but four, since customizable movesets mean that Greninja will have three water shurikens with different physics/effect. And if Takamaru had the Shuriken (which would make sense given their extensive use in the game) that'd be three other set of special moves based on the same idea.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Regarding uniqueness of moves, keep in mind that it's not just two types of shuriken, but four, since customizable movesets mean that Greninja will have three water shurikens with different physics/effect. And if Takamaru had the Shuriken (which would make sense given their extensive use in the game) that'd be three other set of special moves based on the same idea.
Again, Takamaru doesn't even use stars in his game. Only kunai, windmill blades, and fireballs. Only the enemy ninjas used them.

If Sakurai's being faithful to the source material, it would actually be out of character for him to use stars...although it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to use the straight types of shuriken, since they would be thrown like Kunai.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Isaac - 40% Haven't seen him as an Assist Trophy yet that's a good sign so far.
Want - 100% Isaac is rly cool

Takamaru - 65% He's getting a lot of cameos and appearances lately and I think that's a good sign for him
Want - 100% Both of these are on my personal wishlist/Roster

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Issac

Chance - 22.5% - Well, he's going down for sure. Curse the Gematsu leak, outcroweding all these charaters...

Want - 78% - Hey, earth magic is cool, alright?

Takamaru

Chance - 37% - *Sigh* At least I won't just be recycling scores at this rate.

Want - 60% - Might be interesting, but I'm not very interested in him.

Prediction

Snake - 35.76% - Gonna take a hit again.

Lucas - 65.83% - It's not for certain, so I still say it should be somewhat high.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
No, it is not.
Well it's true that they don't look like star shuriken. But not all shuriken have the same shape. As far as I can tell, windmill blade is a type of shuriken.

What would you call his throwing weapons then?

And at any rate, I didn't attach much importance to that anyway.

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
OP needs updating

tingle has been brutally killed off
and ray01 is still alive somehow

Takamaru
Chance - 20% Gametsu has lowered the chances of all non gametsu
Want - 0% No more blue haired swordsmen please

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Isaac

Chance
- 50% - We have not seen or heard anything about Isaac. They have not been any Djinn spotted in Smash Run. Isaac's chances could go either way.

Want - 85% - I really like the character and the possibilities of his moveset are endless. He would bring a fresh moveset to the table and more material to Super Smash Brothers in general.

Takamaru

Chance
- 50% - He is the same as Isaac. There is nothing related to SSB4 that resembles Takamaru or his game (that I know of).

Want - 55% - This is where the bias comes in. I am more familiar to Golden Sun than Takamaru's game. I can also see the potential in his moveset.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Sakurai has given NO hints towards his inclusion, unlike the hints we saw for Little Mac, Palutena and Pac-Man pre-reveal.
Maybe, but we didnt saw any real hint for rosalina or miis neither, and we also dont have any clues for shulk or chorus kids yet.
I believe in Sal because makes sense and all the characters worths it, not because he was right in the past... the same way, i think takamaru is going to happen.

Also, is more fun just to take a side.

please do not blame me for that.
Well i blame you :p is all your fault, this is the first time i even look at the thread.

Im really confident about takamaru, but you can change it to 90% or even 80% if you guys think is better that way.
No intention of ruin the fun or something, is just my opinion.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Well i blame you :p is all your fault, this is the first time i even look at the thread.

Im really confident about takamaru, but you can change it to 90% or even 80% if you guys think is better that way.
No intention of ruin the fun or something, is just my opinion.
That would be much more reasonable.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
You do know that Sakurai outright confirmed that he's going to try to add another retro to this game, right?
That's a rather liberal interpretation of his quote. "Outright confirmed?" Let's take a look.
Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

I think it's unreasonable to assume that we're not getting a retro at this point because of that quote, which, for the record, was in the time frame that Sakurai started work on the roster.
Does "planning on doing my best" mean "I will put another retro character into Smash"? No. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you get into Smash Bros.

Does saying he is "doing [his] best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros" mean that he is specifically going to do so by adding another Nintendo-owned retro character to the game? No.

He used multiple hedges ("planning on", "doing his best to") and didn't specifically say he was going to add a retro Nintendo newcomer.

I definitely think it's something he considered and looked at, but I don't see that statement as a guarantee. And if it came down to Mewtwo vs. Takamaru, for example, he's not necessarily going to pick Takamaru just to fulfill what people on here see as his retro quota. And I don't think you can really say you know whether Little Mac would count for that in Sakurai's mind.

So I don't assume we're not getting a retro newcomer, I just see that there's a lot more demand* for other things, not a lot of space left, and Takamaru's not the only possibility. He's still one of the more likely additions in my eyes, though.

*There's this weird thing where because people assume Sakurai is adding a retro, they seek out a retro to attach their hopes to. If there wasn't this assumption that Sakurai would be adding retros, I think the want for most of them would be significantly lower. Outside of the online Smash community, especially the Smash speculation community, I don't think there's much desire for them at this point (Pit and Little Mac seemed to have the most support). Most people see them and go "Who?" So it's something that Sakurai might do for himself, but keep in mind that in terms of the mass market appeal, adding retros like Takamaru is going against the current.
Maybe, but we didnt saw any real hint for rosalina or miis neither, and we also dont have any clues for shulk or chorus kids yet.
Rosalina did have at least a little hint (less specific) with the Mario Galaxy stage.

But even so, that's not really a counterargument. Not having hints is not helpful, and there are too many possibilities out there to say that Takamaru has a 99% or 90% (or even 80%, IMO) chance to be included without any specific evidence for it. Tons of other characters have no hints as well, you know :rolleyes:

The clues for Shulk and Chorus Kids are the fact that the Gematsu leaker has been right. The Gematsu leak's record is worth a lot more than a very early statement by Sakurai that he likes to bring back "old characters" (Takamaru is not the only old character).

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's a rather liberal interpretation of his quote. "Outright confirmed?" Let's take a look.

Does "planning on doing my best" mean "I will put another retro character into Smash"? No. Just because you try hard doesn't mean you get into Smash Bros.

Does saying he is "doing [his] best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros" mean that he is specifically going to do so by adding another Nintendo-owned retro character to the game? No.

He used multiple hedges ("planning on", "doing his best to") and didn't specifically say he was going to add a retro Nintendo newcomer.

I definitely think it's something he considered and looked at, but I don't see that statement as a guarantee. And if it came down to Mewtwo vs. Takamaru, for example, he's not necessarily going to pick Takamaru just to fulfill what people on here see as his retro quota.

So I don't assume we're not getting a retro newcomer, I just see that there's a lot more demand* for other things, not a lot of space left, and Takamaru's not the only possibility. He's still one of the more likely additions in my eyes, though.

*There's this weird thing where because people assume Sakurai is adding a retro, they seek out a retro to attach their hopes to. If there wasn't this assumption that Sakurai would be adding retros, I think the want for most of them would be significantly lower. Outside of the online Smash community, especially the Smash speculation community, I don't think there's much desire for them at this point (Pit and Little Mac seemed to have the most support). Most people see them and go "Who?" So it's something that Sakurai might do for himself, but keep in mind that in terms of the mass market appeal, adding retros like Takamaru is going against the current.
He's also "thinking about" adding Mewtwo. Does that mean he's going to add him? Not necessarily. Does that mean that Mewtwo's most likely going to get in? In my mind, of course it does.

I mean, giving characters like Isaac, who have had no mention whatsoever by Sakurai, a higher chance than a character that's gotten Sakurai's blessing (even if not by name) seems unreasonable to me.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Again, Takamaru doesn't even use stars in his game. Only kunai, windmill blades, and fireballs. Only the enemy ninjas used them.

If Sakurai's being faithful to the source material, it would actually be out of character for him to use stars...although it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for him to use the straight types of shuriken, since they would be thrown like Kunai.

Interesting info, but just out of curiosity ...

From a game design perspective, what would be the difference between a shuriken and a kunai? Just wondering how the difference could exist to make them unique from a gameplay perspective, since they're both fast projectiles with similar purpose, as far as I know at least.

The same question could be asked about the fireball. There's three mario fireball types now, as well as stuff like Explosive Flame from Palutena and Din's Fire from Zelda. How would Takamaru's fire ball attack differ sufficiently from the gameplay point of view?

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Interesting info, but just out of curiosity ...

From a game design perspective, what would be the difference between a shuriken and a kunai? Just wondering how the difference could exist to make them unique from a gameplay perspective, since they're both fast projectiles with similar purpose, as far as I know at least.
From a game design perspective, all projectiles are somewhat similar. It's just the properties attached to them that make them different from one another.

From a game design perspective, Greninja's shuriken are more similar to Lucario's aura sphere than the Mii's shuriken, which are more like Falco's lasers (from what we've seen).

So there's plenty of ways to make them different from the shurikens we have in the game already. We can give them a stronger hitbox on their points, making it best to get them to hit the opponent head on, in contrast to how star shuriken have hurtboxes all around them. We can make them have little lag so that multiple can be thrown at once (which would be faithful to Nazo no Murasame jo), making them a spacing tool and area controller. We can also make them be affected by gravity like Link's arrows instead of having them keep a set trajectory like the other two.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
He's also "thinking about" adding Mewtwo. Does that mean he's going to add him? Not necessarily. Does that mean that Mewtwo's most likely going to get in? In my mind, of course it does.
That was a mention of a specific character who is also a veteran. Making vague statements about old characters is a lot safer, since it doesn't apply to a specific group of fans.

Saying he's thinking about Mewtwo that far along into development gets the hopes of Mewtwo fans up. Especially since he's a veteran that was planned for Brawl. If he wasn't really considering it, he would be more likely to say something hedgy like "We're considering many Pokemon for the game."

Making vague statements about "old characters" is not the same.
I mean, giving characters like Isaac, who have had no mention whatsoever by Sakurai, a higher chance than a character that's gotten Sakurai's blessing (even if not by name) seems unreasonable to me.
Like I said, saying that Takamaru has Sakurai's blessing is a liberal interpretation. It wasn't like an oblique reference to Takamaru, there are plenty of old characters out there.

And Isaac was an AT in Brawl. Remind me, what was Takamaru?

It seems to me one has gotten more explicit recognition.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That was a mention of a specific character who is also a veteran. Making vague statements about old characters is a lot safer, since it doesn't apply to a specific group of fans.

Saying he's thinking about Mewtwo that far along into development gets the hopes of Mewtwo fans up. Especially since he's a veteran that was planned for Brawl. If he wasn't really considering it, he would be more likely to say something hedgy like "We're considering many Pokemon for the game."

Making vague statements about "old characters" is not the same.
Like I said, saying that Takamaru has Sakurai's blessing is a liberal interpretation. It wasn't like an oblique reference to Takamaru, there are plenty of old characters out there.

And Isaac was an AT in Brawl. Remind me, what was Takamaru?

It seems to me one has gotten more explicit recognition.
It's all interpretation in the end. I heavily disagree, but I can't change your mindset, and I won't criticize it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
OP needs updating

tingle has been brutally killed off
and ray01 is still alive somehow

Takamaru
Chance - 20% Gametsu has lowered the chances of all non gametsu
Want - 0% No more blue haired swordsmen please
His hair was never blue from unless that poorly made Takamaru costume from Nintendo Land or the non-canon manga/booklets are convincing you.

People discriminating against those of blue hair since 2008. smh

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
His his was never blue from unless that poorly made Takamaru costume from Nintendo Land or the non-canon manga/booklets are convincing you.

People discriminating against those of blue hair since 2008. smh
idk. not trying to hate on the character/supporters. the spark just isn't there. I see him on so many prediction lists, but I still don't like him, and it's a bit frustrating.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
From a game design perspective, all projectiles are somewhat similar. It's just the properties attached to them that make them different from one another.

From a game design perspective, Greninja's shuriken are more similar to Lucario's aura sphere than the Mii's shuriken, which are more like Falco's lasers (from what we've seen).

So there's plenty of ways to make them different from the shurikens we have in the game already. We can give them a stronger hitbox on their points, making it best to get them to hit the opponent head on, in contrast to how star shuriken have hurtboxes all around them. We can make them have little lag so that multiple can be thrown at once (which would be faithful to Nazo no Murasame jo), making them a spacing tool and area controller. We can also make them be affected by gravity like Link's arrows instead of having them keep a set trajectory like the other two.
See, but then you're not addressing the actual point. In the end Kunai and Shuriken makes no difference because it's just a projectile that could be given different physics. A shuriken could easily have the same effect you describe.

Right now we have Greninja's shurikens having two possible effects depending on whether it's charged or not. (Btw, very different projectile from Lucario's if you actually have seen it in game.) That's ignoring the two other possible changes from customizable movesets that Greninja will get.
Add to this the Mii's shuriken. Now, while I like Takamaru and his potential style, I feel like arguing his uniqueness is untouched is just not true because whereas before we could have had a unique moveset based on shuriken/kunai, katana and fireballs, that moveset is no longer as unique due to Greninja and Mii taking some of those potential ideas. Specifically, we now have four different shuriken projectile types in Smash. That we know of.

I went ahead to the main thread for Takamaru, and a lot of the description of what a character Takamaru could be like applies to Greninja (also, I don't get why here it's stupid to say Takamaru uses Shuriken but in that thread there's shuriken all over the OP, but w.e.)
Could Sakurai make him different? Of course, it's Sakurai, and I'm sure Takamaru would be awesome. But with a roster that's more and more limited, and the leak possibly taking up another three newcomer spots, I can't be excited about another set of three customizable shuriken moves, another set of three customizable fireballs moves, and another melee swordfighter style.
In terms of Smash as an idea, Takamaru would be great and belongs really well: great series, due for revival. But from the gameplay perspective the character is nowhere as exciting as something like Andy, Isaac, Chorus Kids, K. Rool, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom