• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, I can't complain about hidden villains. They're even better when you have to work for them, and possibly unlock them via a duel to the death. :p

Mars-

Smash Champion
Well, I can't complain about hidden villains. They're even better when you have to work for them, and possibly unlock them via a duel to the death. :p
I was thinking about it, and all the leaks were characters that were supposed to be revealed at an event, most likely to give the leaker more credibility. So who is to say that there won't be characters not revealed until after the release. I do find the lack of villains disappointing.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Why would there NOT be characters left until after release? We have more reason to think that would be the case than we do reason to think it won't.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Why would there NOT be characters left until after release? We have more reason to think that would be the case than we do reason to think it won't.
I don't know, apparently people are convinced that the leaks are the end all to character releases.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda surprising we haven't had any new villains, even with the leaked characters.
Well, Sakurai Kinda Leaked Ridley to us......Sure, he didn't say what he was, but it was enough information to deduce that he's probably playable

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeh well people need to simmer down with their leak shenanigans. If they keep whining about leaks so much, they're going to start actually leaking.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I love the fact that there's only three "unlockable series".

By the way, the more I think about it, and the more I like the idea of seeing a gigantic Medusa as a Final Smash. It's something I already discussed about with @Darkmask , and there's issue with this (basically the size of a stage, for example)... But I suddenly want to see Medusa have her big goddess form shooting all kind of things from one side of the screen.

Basically, all of those things combined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19xVyAKSeo&feature=player_detailpage#t=50

Mars-

Smash Champion
I think that would be a pretty obvious final smash for her, she would go in the background and maybe have some type of aiming for her attacks, kinda like ZSS's final smash.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I think being gigantic on the edge of the screen is less complex than being in the background.

Sure, we have Andross who actually does that (and Palutena in Brawl, to an extent), but there's a lot of stage with background elements. I think it would be a bit bad if Medusa is hidden by background elements, while the only real problem with being on the side is walk off stages.

Oh, and Tabuu did it.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's really depressing to see people rating a palette swap clone over Medusa to be totally honest. :\

majora_787

Smash Hero
"But is theme is cool! :o "

... I can't see another reason honestly.
It's like if they made Blood Falcon, SA-X, or Dark Link playable. They're at most a palette swap with all of the same capabilities. People have ended up alternate colors for less.

:Y It's one thing if you're going to throw Medusa under the bus for the one time newbie villain, but for DARK PIT?

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue is Dark Pit literally goes against everything Sakurai looks for in a newcomer. He IS PIT. He is Pit with a different color palette and a slightly deeper voice done by the same person. He uses all of the same weapons to the same extent, and in the grand scheme of things he means less to the franchise than even Orcos or Hades do.

It was a hint sure, but more than likely a hint to him being a much higher quality alternate costume for Pit than he was in Brawl. Which is admittedly cool. But he shouldn't be replacing characters who actually have unique capabilities and have actual importance to the franchise.

Give him a new voice-over? Some cool new particle affects? The Silver Bow? There you go. Dark Pit. No need to put all of this effort into a new character that could go into something bigger and better.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The issue is Dark Pit literally goes against everything Sakurai looks for in a newcomer. He IS PIT. He is Pit with a different color palette and a slightly deeper voice done by the same person. He uses all of the same weapons to the same extent, and in the grand scheme of things he means less to the franchise than even Orcos or Hades do.

It was a hint sure, but more than likely a hint to him being a much higher quality alternate costume for Pit than he was in Brawl. Which is admittedly cool. But he shouldn't be replacing characters who actually have unique capabilities and have actual importance to the franchise.
Pit also uses the powers that Palutena uses in her moveset. It's a bad argument against Pittoo. But I'm going to stop arguing from there.

majora_787

Smash Hero
The issue is, those were Palutena's powers to begin with that Palutena was using on Pit. They were called goddess powers for a reason. :\

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
To troll less about Dark Pit...

Well, Majora already said what was necessary.

I'll add that despite my obvious bias for Zelda, and despite the fact I love Toon Zelda, it would be stupid to ask for Toon Zelda. I can say that she is different, a lovable character in the serie, have a different voice... It's a Zelda.

Dark Pit's case is really similar, but he also is litteraly a clone. It's a cool character in the game, but a bad idea as a character. It would be as bad as Good and Evil Cole in Playstation All Star Battle Royal.

Last edited:

Medusa

Smash Rookie
After seeing that only 38% of you actually want me in the game, I have decided that the best way to get back at humanity is to go against what the majority wants. I now fully support this cause. I hope Sakurai puts in two more characters from my game.

Feel free to ask me anything.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
I feel like medusa could be dlc at this point. If not then in smash5 we will probably get either her or hades

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I certainly prefer her to Dark Pit. I dont like that she is a Greek Goddess... that is it. But it also adds a level of mystique to her.
That said, if the Goddess of light is in, I can see nothing better than the opposing force it make it in.
Puts Pit in a weird spot, too.
We have the two main forces, and then also the hero guy. That is pretty cool.

Next game, I will be a supporter. Not now, Kid Icarus is over represented with STUFF as is. Next game, sure.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Medusa is not a greek goddess lol. Medusa is a nintendo character who is a goddess OR a character in greek mythology who is NOT a goddess.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly, I feel like Kid Icarus isn't overrepresented at all in this game. It's only going to be LESS deserving of this content next time when its only game is aged. I am pretty sure Sakurai, who doesn't plan to even be involved with a sequel to it, understands that this is the best time to do it even if the content he adds doesn't return for the next game.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Honestly, I feel like Kid Icarus isn't overrepresented at all in this game. It's only going to be LESS deserving of this content next time when its only game is aged. I am pretty sure Sakurai, who doesn't plan to even be involved with a sequel to it, understands that this is the best time to do it even if the content he adds doesn't return for the next game.
I agree with you buuuuttt, I would advise against trying to understand Sakurai, you'll find yourself very confused.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well, regardless, Kid Icarus is getting a lot of attention now while it's relevant, and I can definitely see Medusa happening at this point. Though most likely as an unlockable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Medusa is not a greek goddess lol. Medusa is a nintendo character who is a goddess OR a character in greek mythology who is NOT a goddess.
Far; she is a famous Gorgon sister defeated by Perseus. That is truly not the point-- a historical figure of fame...

majora_787

Smash Hero
She shares the same name but is otherwise simply based off the character Medusa. That's like not thinking Mario should happen because you know an actual plumber named Mario. Not exactly the best reason.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Medusa is based on different aspects of several mythological figures. For example, her role as the "Queen of the Underworld" comes from the goddess Persephone while her position as the "Goddess of Darkness" is based on the primordial deities Nyx (Goddess of the Night) and Erebus (God of Darkness). As far as I know, only the snake-hair and petrification come from the Medusa of Greek mythology.

Palutena's character is similarly composed of different Greek deities, such as Pallas Athena, who is most likely the inspiration for her name. Athena cursed Medusa in mythology, as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Medusa is based on different aspects of several mythological figures. For example, her role as the "Queen of the Underworld" comes from the goddess Persephone while her position as the "Goddess of Darkness" is based on the primordial deities Nyx (Goddess of the Night) and Erebus (God of Darkness). As far as I know, only the snake-hair and petrification come from the Medusa of Greek mythology.

Palutena's character is similarly composed of different Greek deities, such as Pallas Athena, who is most likely the inspiration for her name. Athena cursed Medusa in mythology, as well.
And Athena partially is the inspiration for Palutena. :D

majora_787

Smash Hero
Obviously to fake everyone out, the August direct will celebrate Metroid's 28th anniversary by revealing a newcomer from... its sister series, Kid Icarus. :awesome:

Probably not though unfortunately. I guess it's not too long of a wait until the Japanese release though. All of what. Two months-ish?

Top Bottom