• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Queen of the Underworld: Vote for Medusa's Homecoming Party!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lack of development time? Where are you getting this from? If they picked all the characters in the beginning of development, and set a release date based on an estimated time frame, there should not be a "lack of development time." Are all characters beyond this point going to be clones because of a "lack of development time" lol? Stop making dumb assumption.

Also interesting picture, what is the falcon on the left?
Because you're suggesting that Sakurai would go and create not one, not two, but THREE new characters for a franchise that barely has a presence in Nintendo history. Lack of development time stems from the notion that they've developed a bunch of other characters as well we still don't know about from Nintendo's massive library of franchises.

And no, FE getting four characters doesn't count. Two of those characters are from Brawl already, and are virtually identical except Ike has a new design. Lucina is a direct clone of Marth and took barely any development time at all. Sakurai would have to either develop three brand new characters from one franchise with only three games to date, or make one or both semiclones or even direct clones, which I'm sure people would hate even more.

I think other franchises with a bigger history with Nintendo would get those reps first. A third KI rep is POSSIBLE, although I think its highly unlikely at this point.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Because you're suggesting that Sakurai would go and create not one, not two, but THREE new characters for a franchise that barely has a presence in Nintendo history. Lack of development time stems from the notion that they've developed a bunch of other characters as well we still don't know about from Nintendo's massive library of franchises.
So if they did include both hades and medusa, what makes you think that those would be the two characters that get shafted due to lack of time? How do you conclude that this will be an issue? Don't you think they would sacrifice things not gameplay related instead before the actual characters? Simple time management tells us that they can take as much time as they need, and release the game when it is ready. I don't understand how you concluded that they would need to shaft certain characters due to time, and please, make a reason independent of your opinion on the series popularity.

And no, FE getting four characters doesn't count. Two of those characters are from Brawl already, and are virtually identical except Ike has a new design. Lucina is a direct clone of Marth and took barely any development time at all. Sakurai would have to either develop three brand new characters from one franchise with only three games to date, or make one or both semiclones or even direct clones, which I'm sure people would hate even more.
How do you know she is a clone of Marth? And does that necessarily mean anything? Falco was a clone of Fox in melee, they have very similar looking moves but because of the properties they have a completely different playstyle. Having visually similar does not make the knockback, stun, trajectory, ect the same.

I think other franchises with a bigger history with Nintendo would get those reps first. A third KI rep is POSSIBLE, although I think its highly unlikely at this point.
There are a lot of bigger franchises than Fire Emblem too, this really is irrelevant, it all boils down to what sakurai wants. If he wants his game to have two more reps from his other game, then it will happen.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I haven't been checking up on the thread so much but you know, Lucina's reveal makes me feel better about Medusa's chances. And honestly, EVEN if she ended up being a clone like Lucina, I'd be able to tolerate it. It'd be a waste of potential, but still better than not having her playable.

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point out, that Palutena is not new to Smash. She has been in Brawl on two different occasions. Pit's Final Smash and her being the only NPC in Subspace Emissary.

We need a true Kid Icarus Newcomer! We need PYRRHON!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I just want to point out, that Palutena is not new to Smash. She has been in Brawl on two different occasions. Pit's Final Smash and her being the only NPC in Subspace Emissary.

We need a true Kid Icarus Newcomer! We need PYRRHON!
I still need my Little Girl / Dog team. They were playable, after all! :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Man. After fighting Medusa Head in my first playthrough of TLoZ: Oracle of Seasons, it makes me wish I was any good at drawing pixel art. Then maybe I could contribute some stuff to the thread a bit.

EDIT: Also somewhat glad the Dark Pit thing was sorted out. Now, as far as I'm concerned anyway, Medusa doesn't really have any competition. :p

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Medusa's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I personally envision her as a heavyweight zoner, and somewhat trickster as she would be able to alter the other characters (poison, stone...).

majora_787

Smash Hero
Zoning I imagine would be one of her primary specialties, utilizing varieties of bizarre mid-long range attacks and even utilizing her petrification and poison to force opponents to not be in certain places. Being slower and heavier and possibly having less damage output would probably be the result, so that her "zone" isn't able to rapidly move all over the place all the time.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hey guys... With Lucina's taunt allowing her to put on her mask, now, I think that Medusa should have a taunt allowing her to show/hide her monster face.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I dunno. That seems slightly more complicated than putting on or taking off a small mask. But they might be able to make it work out? I'm not entirely sure what would need to be done there.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well... One of the obvious Final Smash possibility is the monsterous head, so technically is that so different?
The main difference with Lucina is the fact that it's not just something on her face, but a new face.

I'd say the main problem would be the fact that one face have two eyes, while the other one is a cyclop... How would lasers from eyes work?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well... One of the obvious Final Smash possibility is the monsterous head, so technically is that so different?
The main difference with Lucina is the fact that it's not just something on her face, but a new face.

I'd say the main problem would be the fact that one face have two eyes, while the other one is a cyclop... How would lasers from eyes work?
That would require reworking the entire face and the functionality of the laser just for the cyclopean head. It could work if pulled off right, but it's not really worth working into.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know, I swear I'm wondering if the end of Palutena's trailer is legitimately a reference to Medusa or just an extremely conveniently well-mirrored coincidence.

I mean her trailer ending with Dark Pit confronting Palutena and her asking him if he's here to crash her party, and Uprising beginning in a very similar way with Pit confronting Medusa kind of makes me wonder.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I wonder if the same reference is made in japanese.

I still hope/think it's a cliffhanger. Just imagine how cool it would be to see Link and Dark Pit (because Pit is out in the "first" trailer) teaming up against a Ganondorf/Medusa team.

ALL OF THIS, ANIME STYLE.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It definitely seems like a cliffhanger compared to the ends of every other trailer. I mean it just seems weird the way it all happens. Like, it seems strange to hype an alt that much, and to have Dark Pit reference Medusa that heavily. And then have the trailer just end in what feels like a cliffhanger. It's just bizarre.

A villain trailer would be fantastic. xD Though I won't even try to guess at what will happen with that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Kid Icarus and Zelda were already tied by being classic adventure games from 1986, they are tied by Palutena's trailer, there's the cliffhanger, and Ganondorf and Medusa share many similarities. They both are villains from 86 who were hideous monster before becoming sexy as hell gaining a human form (well, Medusa had one in the first game... For 5 seconds?).
They also seek world domination, but that's a villain routine.

So a Ganondorf/Medusa trailer would be beyond perfect for the Zelda/KI fan I am.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I honestly don't know what would and wouldn't be in a newcomer trailer anymore. At first I assumed Medusa would be saved for post-release just like any third Fire Emblem newcomer, but that obviously didn't pan out. So I guess we'll just have to wait for any upcoming newcomer reveals between now and September and hopefully something comes up like a multi-villain reveal trailer.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The perfect trio reveal for villains seems Ganondorf, Medusa and Ridley to me.
Because 1986.

But... Yeah, with the FE trailer, I don't know what to expect.

D

Deleted member

I still think Medusa has a good chance to make it in as a playable character. In fact, what do you all think about her being a surprise combatant whose debut won't be until somebody gets themselves a 3DS game cartridge?

majora_787

Smash Hero
She seems like she would be one of those post-release surprises, considering I don't think all Kid Icarus characters would be on the starting roster or revealed up front.

But with Kid Icarus getting so much attention and Palutena's trailer mirroring Medusa's introduction in Uprising, I'm feeling pretty good about her odds.

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
I think Medusa has a chance to be playable in the upcoming games.

I'm assuming that the Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus characters would have 12 characters all together.
6 Zelda, 3 Metroid and 3 Kid Icarus.
(I originally thought Takamaru would be included to fit with these franchises but sadly the fourth member of the 1986 Famicom 4 got an Assist Trophy Status)

Assuming that Ghirahim and Ridley will take up the spots for the other two franchises
I think this leaves us room for Medusa to be playable, and Dark Pit as an Alt for Pit.

Count me in.

Medusa

Smash Rookie
Today was a great day for me. More hopes and dreams crushed by Sakurai. More days like this are coming and I can't wait!

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
If Medusa's in the game I feel she'll be an Unlockable character, or be featured with a bunch of villains if we do have a Villains trailer coming up.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You know, I swear I'm wondering if the end of Palutena's trailer is legitimately a reference to Medusa or just an extremely conveniently well-mirrored coincidence.

I mean her trailer ending with Dark Pit confronting Palutena and her asking him if he's here to crash her party, and Uprising beginning in a very similar way with Pit confronting Medusa kind of makes me wonder.
In the Japanese version of the Palutena trailer, Palutena actually says "Oh you have returned?", I don't think it was just a reference, NoA probably translated it wrong'

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
In the Japanese version of the Palutena trailer, Palutena actually says "Oh you have returned?", I don't think it was just a reference, NoA probably translated it wrong'
The question is: What does Medusa says in the japanese version of Kid Icarus Uprising?

... I'm gonna check.

Edit: Seems different. But I'm clearly not an expert in japanese.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Hey guys, I've found the perfect theme song for our favorite dark queen. Especially if people don't know who she is and why she's a greater choice than a certain dark clone. :troll:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We'd have to actually compare the japanese quote from Uprising to the japanese quote from Pale Seafood's trailer, but eh. Details.

Also obviously Madworld's OST was the next step to making the Medusa thread even better.

Bunny8093

Smash Journeyman

Hey guys, I've found the perfect theme song for our favorite dark queen. Especially if people don't know who she is and why she's a greater choice than a certain dark clone. :troll:
O.o I'm surprised you chose this, it's a song I've had stuck in my head countless times. xD I love this song and it does seem fitting for Medusa ina way. :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Pit: "I like a gal who stones as much as the next guy, but this death glare-happy ***** will give you a sexy look that'll send you to the morgue. I fought her in the east block games and lost the match; my entire body full of dead nerves, and I was declared legally dead for a week!"

Magnus: "... Awesome rack on her, though. "

Pit: "Ah true that. While you're blinded by her sideboob, she'll sic a swarm of sneaky snakes on you to mess up your ****! Plus the ****ers have venom!!"

Magnus: "... Awesome rack on her, though. "

Pit: "True that."

:troll:

Top Bottom