• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Here's a quote from Iwata. This may surprise you Panel de Pon was one of his favorite games... or was it?:
"Even a small amount of power can have a great effect when concentrated on a certain area."

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Then let's double our efforts to get Lip in as SSB4 DLC for Iwata's sake. : )

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
It's nice to see all of the Iwata love in every thread. He really was one of a kind. RIP.

Here's something I've been wanting to post for a while. I made some substantial edits and touch ups to that piece of pixiv art in the OP in order to make it look more "Smashified", like an actual render from the game. Let me know what you think, there are two versions:
And the original for reference:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If I knew about Lip before Melee came out, does that make me a hipster?

Lip is getting roughly equal amounts of votes in each category, which is... not great, but it's better than I expected. Let me tell you, I would've been pretty cheesed off if it turned out more people wanted a second "younger version of Link" character than one who would actually be unique and fill a niche that hasn't yet been filled (by a non-clone).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Hipster is a word that gets thrown around so much, it kinda lost its meaning anyway, like epic (though I haven't seen that one used in a while).

Anyway, in light of the recent tragic occurrence, here's something slightly amusing to hopefully cheer people up? A neckless Mario with a way too small body and wearing a puffy short and short skirt:
Well, back to the drawing board it is. At least it's not crashing.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That's exactly an idea I had once after seeing a hack that replaces Mario's model and voice clips with Kirby. I never had the technical expertise to follow through with it though.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
To be honest I was expecting more indifference, I am a bit disappointed that most straight-up voted 'No'.

:231:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
That prove Lip isn't unrecognized, but hated.
No it doesn't. (What'd I say about pessimism?) What it proves is that people are closed-minded and don't want characters they don't know about to be DLC.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
OK, everybody, let's turn them frowns upside-down! It's time to get back to Lip biz, even in troubled times.

Now here's an idea that could interest you all.
Is there somebody who can make a special Panel de Pon project where you can actually put your own custom blocks in the game, and make them come to life? Like, take a look at my block sets in the previous pages. Now, each block has 8 sprites, the first 4 are the bouncing animations for when blocks drop or when you're getting close to losing, the 5th being the shadow/waiting when blocks are scrolling upwards from the bottom of the playfield, the 6th being the clear/VS. Mode Dead face, the 7th has that white clear reflect effect when 3 or more blocks are matched, and the 8th is the fade to black eyes/shapes. In addition to that, customizable grid playfields would be especially nice, with the design of your own garbage blocks too! Makes things competitive, artistic, and epic. Who agrees?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Is there somebody who can make a special Panel de Pon project where you can actually put your own custom blocks in the game, and make them come to life? Like, take a look at my block sets in the previous pages. Now, each block has 8 sprites, the first 4 are the bouncing animations for when blocks drop or when you're getting close to losing, the 5th being the shadow/waiting when blocks are scrolling upwards from the bottom of the playfield, the 6th being the clear/VS. Mode Dead face, the 7th has that white clear reflect effect when 3 or more blocks are matched, and the 8th is the fade to black eyes/shapes. In addition to that, customizable grid playfields would be especially nice, with the design of your own garbage blocks too! Makes things competitive, artistic, and epic. Who agrees?
Somebody in this thread was talking about making a Panel de Pon clone engine. I haven't heard about it in a while, but it could probably be used along those lines.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Somebody in this thread was talking about making a Panel de Pon clone engine. I haven't heard about it in a while, but it could probably be used along those lines.
We can't forget the Exploding Lift in the engine. I am God Mode with Exploding Lift. Plus, no 6-digit score caps. How can be crowned like a CHAMPION in Endless Mode if there's a limit, am I right folks?

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
What about... scores of over a billion? o.o
Aw hell yeah!!!!!
Now here's another clone engine question. How can you program how many stages (in VS. Mode, Stage Clear Mode, and Puzzle Mode) and characters can there be? I mean 6 rounds in previous Puzzle League games might've been challenging, but what if I decided to increase the difficulty with 8, 10 or even 12 ROUNDS? VS. Mode in Planet Puzzle League only had 10 measly stages. Well, I can do better than that for a lengthy story! 16, 18, 20, I name it. And playfield modes should return, but this time, you get sizes of the playfield. These are what you get (I can change the sizes depending on the difficulty): 6x9, 6x12, 6x18, and 6x24. We can even throw in a panel toggling option (4-6 colors available)!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I think it's better to leave the playing field size as-is for all difficulties. It's already a frantic enough game as it is, we don't want to overwhelm people too much. More than 6 panel colors, that's fine, but leave the playing field size alone.

Does anyone have any ideas for ways we could give Lip (specifically - the series is fine, but we want Lip in SSB4, remember) some publicity? Most of the people who know about her like her, it's just they never seem to tell anyone else. If we want Lip as DLC, word-of-mouth is our best bet. It's not like we really have anything to lose anyway.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Have a giant, wrongly textured head. I can't find any documentation on how many polys the various body parts can have, nor a guide for the proper size, so it's pretty much trial and error right now.

Yeah, I switched to the original Mario 64 for various reasons I'm too lazy to explain and I doubt people care about them anyway.

D

Deleted member

With the head shrunk down to Mario's size, I have the feeling the ponytail is a bit too narrow. What do you guys think?

Luigi, Link, Lip...

What this famous L really mean ?

Who knows?
Now guys, don't tempt me to add more "L" characters like Lucas, Lucario or Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière, heh.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
With the head shrunk down to Mario's size, I have the feeling the ponytail is a bit too narrow. What do you guys think?

Who knows?
Now guys, don't tempt me to add more "L" characters like Lucas, Lucario or Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière, heh.
If you want my opinion, then yes, the ponytail is narrow.

King Gilgamesh

Smash Rookie
I used to be a big Lip support back in Pre-SSBB days, but I would still like her to be in a future Super Smash Bros installment, so our Fairy Princess has my vote in the ballot!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, the ponytail is a bit narrow. It needs to be a bit longer and a lot thicker, say, about as wide as her body is tall.

Welcome to the Panel Poppers, King Gilgamesh. ^^ #Lip For SSB4 #Pop The Vote

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I never really got why people want Krystal in SSB so bad, outside of gender representation. She always felt out of place to me. Maybe because she's the only Star Fox character who was designed in the UK (and not originally as a Star Fox character). I dunno.

Let's work together to get Lip Smashified, panel poppers!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I never really got why people want Krystal in SSB so bad, outside of gender representation. She always felt out of place to me. Maybe because she's the only Star Fox character who was designed in the UK (and not originally as a Star Fox character). I dunno.

Let's work together to get Lip Smashified, panel poppers!
Moveset potential and the fact that they like the character coincidentally this is also the reason why people would want Lip in Smash or any character for that matter...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, you got me there. I'd still much rather have Lip over her, though, but of course I'm biased.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
@ TheWolfBunny TheWolfBunny I saw that you've requested me to make an image for Lip on my DeviantArt account. If only I saw that message before hand, then I could had quickly made one for her before my Adobe Creative Cloud system ran out. So I won't be able to edit a thing until I pay for it again during my next semester. Sorry. :/

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If you want, WolfBunny, I could try editing/drawing the picture Azure Warrior mentioned.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd like a description of what picture you want, please. If it was posted in the thread earlier, I couldn't find it.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Make that 3! Neglected to add mine.

Remember now, this is a very small number of people being polled on the character. We still don't know what the majority opinion of her would be among Smash players, especially ones in Japan where she is more well known. For all we know she could be one of the most popular characters in that region.

In other news, this happened.

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/626287547610574848

K. Rool is now a Mii Costume, which... all but deconfirms him. Isn't that something? Mii Costumes are going to turn out to be a kiss of death for ballot characters, so let's hope we never see a Lip costume.

Keep the hope alive!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Make that 3! Neglected to add mine.

Remember now, this is a very small number of people being polled on the character. We still don't know what the majority opinion of her would be among Smash players, especially ones in Japan where she is more well known. For all we know she could be one of the most popular characters in that region.

In other news, this happened.

https://twitter.com/SmashBrosJP/status/626287547610574848

K. Rool is now a Mii Costume, which... all but deconfirms him. Isn't that something? Mii Costumes are going to turn out to be a kiss of death for ballot characters, so let's hope we never see a Lip costume.

Keep the hope alive!
It doesn't deconfirm a character.

Top Bottom