• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I believe it does. Anyone who says otherwise just has wishful thinking.
Meta Knight had a mask before his reveal, this isn't the end until Sakurai CONFIRMS WITH HIS MOUTH OR WHEN ALL DLC STOPS that this is the end of the line. btw considering that King K. Rool was one of the most popular choices in the ballot and if this does deconfirm him, Lip chances don't look to good.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Meta Knight had a mask before his reveal, this isn't the end until Sakurai CONFIRMS WITH HIS MOUTH OR WHEN ALL DLC STOPS that this is the end of the line. btw considering that King K. Rool was one of the most popular choices in the ballot and if this does deconfirm him, Lip chances don't look to good.
Meta Knight is a very poor example as he was a previously existing character before he had a Mii costume, which only consists of his mask anyways. K. Rool only exists in the form of a Mii costume. And Sakurai has said that he likes Lip.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Just hang in there, Lip. Please don't cry and despair. We're still rooting for you. July's almost over, so we got 2 more months to give it our all. Continue to have faith, Lip, Fairy of Flowers. #Lip4Smash

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If anything, Lip's moveset potential is the best shot she has at avoiding the Mii costume consolation prize. As cool as it would have been to have K. Rool in there, the version of the character most people envision when they think of him (as in, King as opposed to Kaptain or Roolenstein) wouldn't make for a very unique moveset.

Remember, uniqueness of play style is one of the things that gets taken into consideration during the character design process. Lip's got a ton of potential that I hope Team Sakurai will be willing to take advantage of.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
If anything, Lip's moveset potential is the best shot she has at avoiding the Mii costume consolation prize. As cool as it would have been to have K. Rool in there, the version of the character most people envision when they think of him (as in, King as opposed to Kaptain or Roolenstein) wouldn't make for a very unique moveset.

Remember, uniqueness of play style is one of the things that gets taken into consideration during the character design process. Lip's got a ton of potential that I hope Team Sakurai will be willing to take advantage of.
We envisioned King K. Rool to incorporate everything he did from all his appearances, not just what he did as King K. Rool. If you ever look at a King K. Rool moveset, it takes aspects of Kaptain, Baron, and sometimes Krusha. King K. Rool is just what everyone knows him by.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My point was that it's not hard to imagine Sakurai only thinking of K. Rool as King and saying to himself, "So... what will he do? Kick? Punch? Box? Sit on people? Throw his crown?" Lip isn't as popular, but I think she has a better chance than K. Rool does after this de-confirmation because of the potential uniqueness of her moveset.

I'm bummed that K. Rool gets relegated to a Mii costume too, but you have to think like the game designers would here.

Last edited:

LuluTheBean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poppy2014
If Lip were to be a Mii Fighter costume, which Mii Fighter do you guys think she would be?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
My point was that it's not hard to imagine Sakurai only thinking of K. Rool as King and saying to himself, "So... what will he do? Kick? Punch? Box? Sit on people? Throw his crown?" Lip isn't as popular, but I think she has a better chance than K. Rool does after this de-confirmation because of the potential uniqueness of her moveset.

I'm bummed that K. Rool gets relegated to a Mii costume too, but you have to think like the game designers would here.
I don't think Sakurai is this ignorant to not look up what King K. Rool can do. Especially considering everything he's done in all of his appearances. I mean Lip was just kind of a backdrop for a while right.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You're severely underestimating the potential of the Kremling King.

But this isn't the thread for that.

If Lip were to be a Mii Fighter costume, which Mii Fighter do you guys think she would be?
Brawler? She doesn't have a gun or a sword, so it's the only thing that works. I could have her spawn with her stick anyway...

A costume might be the best thing we could hope for Lip.

LuluTheBean

Smash Rookie
NNID
Poppy2014
Honestly I would be happy with a costume, I still would adore to have her as her own character!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Lip was a costume, at least I would have a good reference to how her curl should be modelled..... (Yeah, I'm still kinda stuck with that....)

How's it going fellow Panel Poppers? I felt like dropping by and say hi.... c:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Let's not drop everything in favor of a Mii costume just yet. She still has a chance to be her own character (a small one), and that's enough to keep my spirits high.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Of course, playable would be the most preferred outcome.

After seeing that Dr.Mario stage leak. How would you guys feel about a Panel de Pon stage that worked on a similar principle.

As in fighting in the game itself as blocks get destroyed and all?

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
After seeing that Dr.Mario stage leak. How would you guys feel about a Panel de Pon stage that worked on a similar principle.
This was actually one of my ideas for a stage that would launch alongside Lip as a fighter, a stage taking place in one of the boards from the SNES game (which one gets selected depending on the music track chosen). I know that I'd already decided Lip and Thiana's stages would have no bottom blast line. The fairies and mascot characters would interact with the fighters when a chain or combo was scored.

(The 3DS version would probably only have Lip's stage.)

It's a bit more involved than the Dr. Mario stage looks to be. I still need to type up a synopsis for it...

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Of course, playable would be the most preferred outcome.

As in fighting in the game itself as blocks get destroyed and all?
Well, now that the Dr. Mario stage leak has been confirmed fake, the possibility of that idea being used for a Panel de Pon stage is still there, as I doubt Sakurai and his team would reuse the same concept for another puzzle-themed series if Dr. Mario and Lip both had a respective home stage.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Simply consider the next few months up till the poll ends in October "crunch time". It's time for us to do everything we thought of doing to raise awareness of Lip and her viability as a SSB4 DLC character, but never did because "meh, we've still got time". If there's a time for a Lip answer to Operation Tachibana or the Japanese K. Rool movement, it's now.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Spread the word EVEN FURTHER!!!!!! TWEET THE WORD EVEN! If we're lucky, maybe we'll FINALLY receive a new Puzzle League announced at an August Nintendo Direct!
You honestly think there is a chance that because of 1-2 weeks of tweeting/spreading the word about Lip, Nintendo will have a presentable showcase for a new Panel de Pon.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
To me that seems like two separate statements. He wants us to keep spreading the word about Lip, and is hoping to finally get something new about the series in this month's Direct (which Lip as DLC would help to promote).

Either way, Wolf Bunny has a lot of enthusiasm for Panel de Pon and getting it into the public limelight, and that's by no mean a bad thing, but I think he lets that cloud his judgment sometimes. Especially at the moment. It seems like he's panicking because we're running short on time.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Well, if it's crunch time, I guess that means any special talents who really want this to happen should start using them by spreading the word about it.

• Artists should get drawing and submit Lip-related submissions to deviantart groups related to Smash and fighting games in general.
  • Youtube video makers should try to make new content. Maybe translated playthroughs of Panel de Pon or online PDP competitions with each other that you record and upload?
  • If all you have is twitter, then combine up to completely take over the #PopTheVote and #Lip4Smash hashtags and tweet them with other popular tags for the game to garner attention.
  • Have you guys done a Thunderclap campaign like I suggested earlier? This is where you put in witty slogans and other marketable stuff into one gigantic surge of tweets that'll make a lot of noise really quick.
If you want this to happen then you really need to crack down and start putting in effort, and to be honest I don't think I've seen all that much.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I still have my old Lip drawing that never really caught on, you guys can use it if you want to.

I have a few higher priorities.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'd definitely draw Lip again if it'd help her chances any. Even if it wouldn't, I'd love to draw her, maybe in a more active/dynamic pose to encourage people to vote for her and show her potential as an SSB4 fighter.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Apparently, the reason for the female Inkling's prominence in Splatoon's advertising and promotion is because Nintendo felt a strong, cute female character would have global appeal. In case we needed more proof that Tetris Attack was a product of its time.

Now if only they'd realize there's an entire series that's also full of strong, cute female characters that could use a revival. : P
They should've marketed the fairies 20 years ago! Tetris Attack IS a product of Intelligent Systems!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You're severely underestimating the potential of the Kremling King.

But this isn't the thread for that.

Brawler? She doesn't have a gun or a sword, so it's the only thing that works. I could have her spawn with her stick anyway...

A costume might be the best thing we could hope for Lip.
If Lip were to get a Mii costume, I think it'd be a sword fighter. They'd use a longer version of Lip's Stick for the sword.

Having a "gun" or "sword" does not matter at all. K.K. Slider is a gunner and uses his instrument as the gun. Some mii costumes use sticks as swords. Lip using Lip's Stick as a sword would be perfectly acceptable given the context of other Mii costumes.

I don't think moveset potential has ANYTHING to do with getting a Mii costume. It doesn't matter what potential the character has; so many characters with massive potential have already been made into Mii costumes. And so many more likely will as well. And some may even still end up as playable separately.

In general... Mii costumes are just random crap and make no sense overall of who they pick (some are popular, some are oddballs [Jacky and Akira?], several have roles in the game already, etc.).

PsychoJosh

How come Jacky and Akira make no sense? They tied it in with the release of Ryu and the Tekken costumes.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How come Jacky and Akira make no sense? They tied it in with the release of Ryu and the Tekken costumes.
They're still oddballs. Yeah, they tied it in with Ryu, but regardless, the franchises have no connections to one another other than being fighting game franchises.

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Street Fighter is a WAY more legendary game than Virtua Fighter, and it has been known partly with the SNES, that's why Ryu.

PsychoJosh

They're still oddballs. Yeah, they tied it in with Ryu, but regardless, the franchises have no connections to one another other than being fighting game franchises.
That was the whole point, to tie together the flagship fighting games of each company in Smash. Street Fighter is Capcom's flagship fighter, Namco's is Tekken, and Sega's is Virtua Fighter.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
HEY!!! Now that we've all recovered from our Iwata Trauma, are we gonna continue our support for Lip or are we gonna Lip's chances disintegrate? Remember, we don't got much time left!

Top Bottom