• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Always great for Sakurai to give us DLC news about Ryu, Roy, and Lucas! Now Lip's chances are higher! Doubled, ladies & gentlemen! But we need to continue our support, for July is dead ahead!
Most of us already thought that the ballot had nothing to do with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu coming to Smash. Smash most likely won't get any news till August when the tourney mode comes out.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Always great for Sakurai to give us DLC news about Ryu, Roy, and Lucas! Now Lip's chances are higher! Doubled, ladies & gentlemen! But we need to continue our support, for July is dead ahead!
I don't really think they're higher, honestly... If anything I think they're much lower, since it reinforces that DLC characters have to be popular picks. And for obscure characters like Lip who only appeared in Japan and were never localized, Takamaru is FAR more highly requested than Lip.

Most of us already thought that the ballot had nothing to do with Lucas, Roy, and Ryu coming to Smash. Smash most likely won't get any news till August when the tourney mode comes out.
In August I fully expect Wolf to be released along with a whole new set of DLC. Maybe they'll even announce the first ballot character for October (at this point I think all ballot characters have already been decided and are in development; the rest of the ballot time will be for gathering additional information about characters/franchises to consider for the future, especially future Smash games).

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
And for obscure characters like Lip who only appeared in Japan and were never localized, Takamaru is FAR more highly requested than Lip.
Aren't we forgetting that Tak is already an Assist Trophy?

Not really if she does something different with it (it'd be weird if she picked up the item though). Now Assist trophies is a whole different story.
You can check out my Composite moveset for an example of how that "something different" would work. It's not any really weirder than Samus using a Screw Attack item or Mario or Luigi using a Fire Flower.

DLC updates don't add assist trophies either, so if Lip is in at all, she'll be a fighter.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I should say not many people wanted or expected him, of course he had his fans, but I'd personally rather see Bomberman or Simon Belmont.
Those aren't even the best Konami reps in my mind. I'd rather have Goemon, Sparkster, or Snake again.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Those aren't even the best Konami reps in my mind. I'd rather have Goemon, Sparkster, or Snake again.
I said personally. Belmont and Bomberman do have a bigger and more influential legacy than Goemon or Sparkster. Snake didn't really fit in the game for me (same with Ryu). They're just awkward next to all the other characters since they're realistic I guess.

Back to Lip. @ N N. Onymous is the moveset on the thread? If it is, I'll check it out later.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, the moveset's in the thread (should be in the second post with the other movesets). It's also on my F Yeah Panel de Pon blog here, but some of the formatting had to be removed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Aren't we forgetting that Tak is already an Assist Trophy?
I'm well aware of that. And Sakurai also cited the reason for him BEING an Assist Trophy is because despite his popularity, he was still too obscure to be chosen as a Smash character. Lip doesn't even have a trophy in the game (at least she's got Lip's Stick and Lip's Theme... *sigh*).

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The final smash seems pretty complex especially if you picked her to play since she was cute and had no idea how to play Panel de Pon.
Here's a fun fact for you: Until they added the rhythm meter to the top of the screen, I had no idea how Donkey Kong's Final Smash was supposed to work. The complexity of the thing is also why I added the flashing panels with an added effect; even if the player is bad at Panel de Pon (and can't figure it out on their own, although it's not terribly difficult honestly), it'll still at least do something to their enemies.

I'm well aware of that. And Sakurai also cited the reason for him BEING an Assist Trophy is because despite his popularity, he was still too obscure to be chosen as a Smash character. Lip doesn't even have a trophy in the game (at least she's got Lip's Stick and Lip's Theme... *sigh*).
I'd can the defeatist attitude. That's how we got to where we are today. The game is obscure, Lip is obscure, and unless we can perk up and convince more people into the fandom and/or get them to vote for Lip in the ballot, that's how they're staying. Saying that Lip's got no chance because she's not as widely known as some others, then not doing anything to try and change that - well, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here's a fun fact for you: Until they added the rhythm meter to the top of the screen, I had no idea how Donkey Kong's Final Smash was supposed to work. The complexity of the thing is also why I added the flashing panels with an added effect; even if the player is bad at Panel de Pon (and can't figure it out on their own, although it's not terribly difficult honestly), it'll still at least do something to their enemies.

I'd can the defeatist attitude. That's how we got to where we are today. The game is obscure, Lip is obscure, and unless we can perk up and convince more people into the fandom and/or get them to vote for Lip in the ballot, that's how they're staying. Saying that Lip's got no chance because she's not as widely known as some others, then not doing anything to try and change that - well, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I'm just saying "as DLC." And to not get optimistic about her chances as DLC. Of course I totally want to support Panel de Pon. I just wish they'd release a damn Puzzle League game for current consoles... even a VC release would suffice. Preferably something better than Pokemon Puzzle League for Game Boy as 3DS VC...

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Saying "as DLC" in response to what? (I'm making sure not to get too optimistic about the DLC because that's how crushing disappointment happens.)

One thing I think we all can agree on is when/if Pokémon Puzzle League gets released on the Wii U VC instead of actually giving us Lip and friends because ew cooties, we riot. We're not letting them pull that stunt twice.

---

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam appears to have no involvement from Intelligent Systems at all. It's entirely an Alpha Dream-produced game, Shimomura soundtrack and all. It shows that IS doesn't need to personally oversee anything that uses their properties to a notable degree, which... probably doesn't mean anything for Panel de Pon, really, but it does show that a potential/hypothetical RPG sequel could be handed off to another company like I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Assist Trophy is an obstacle for a new character. Also, I think Tak (and Sable too) are way more chance than Lip.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Maybe between two different Smash games, but within the same one? I dunno. I'd think being an Assist Trophy precludes being a playable character. (In that sense we kinda lucked out with Lippy.)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think Assist Trophy is an obstacle for a new character. Also, I think Tak (and Sable too) are way more chance than Lip.
I don't think Sable has "way more chance" than Lip at being playable. Takamaru, yes, that I agree. But barely anyone knows who Prince Sable is.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Put it this way. When Lip is less obscure than another character...

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
There's higher chances for Lip when Pokemon Puzzle League and Planet Puzzle League, not to mention Dr. Mario & Puzzle League all make it to the Wii U eShop. They're also great opportunities to get warmed up for a new game, if there ever WILL be one, with online play.
I mean, can you imagine a FIRE EMBLEM PANEL DE PON? That would sell like crazy!!!

D

Deleted member

With... whatever the hell they are doing with the Fire Emblem franchise, I'd rather not get a crossover with Panel de Pon. I don't want to see a game where you can inappropriately touch underage (looking) characters and undress them to their underwear while the camera zooms onto their breasts.

I think a series that would work great for a crossover would be Kirby. Both franchises are bright and cute and Kirby is also no stranger for referencing other series, whether well known or obscure, with most of them being in Dreamland 3. There's Donbe & Hikari (Shin Onigashima) or Chao & Goku (Yuyuki), but also an entire stage based around destroying Metroids with Samus rewarding you at the end for doing so.

I also would've mentioned Yoshi, but the Yoshi games often have unorthodox artstyles, whether it's a pop-up book, crayon or now yarn, this is kinda what's to be expected from that series. In fact, a Yoshi game with normal, Mario-like graphics would be pretty odd nowadays. Kirby on the other hand looks fairly normal most of the time, with a few oddballs happening from time to time.

But what I would really like to see is that they revisit the idea they had with Captain Rainbow. I thought it was nice to give the obscure characters (and Birdo) a day in the spotlight and it had some cute things going on, like the Famicom soldiers wanting to become a beach volleyball team. Just... make it less ugly and actually release it internationally this time. I think a game like Captain Rainbow, but with appealing graphics would help immensely to get people interested in old franchises.

And that turned out way too long again...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The irony is that Fire Emblem Fates is pretty much an incarnation of the supposedly 'weird Japanese stuff' that prevented Panel de Pon from being localised. It's strange, really.

:231:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
There was actually a character named Lip in the first Paper Mario game (it's Minh T.'s Japanese name), but besides the name and being flower-related, they're not much alike past that.

I'm not sure if Lip and co. would fit in with the Kirby series considering the Kirby series has a much more dreamlike art style, but that's not to say I wouldn't love it, or it wouldn't be adorable. (Imagine Lip doing the dance!)

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
And that's why Lip should be in Smash, to not only meet Yoshi finally, but to meet some cute new friends, like Olimar, Kirby, and Jigglypuff

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure if Lip and co. would fit in with the Kirby series considering the Kirby series has a much more dreamlike art style, but that's not to say I wouldn't love it, or it wouldn't be adorable. (Imagine Lip doing the dance!)
I'm not so sure about this, to me the Kirby series looks like PdP would be right at home there and vice versa.

(Yeah, can't really get ingame pics when most of the screen is full of blocks anyway)

It definitely wouldn't be the oddest choice for a crossover. And if we can get Link in Mario Kart or Pokemon x Nobunaga's Ambition (or the entirety of Kingdom Hearts, when you think about it), I think pretty much everything goes nowadays.

Also having the PdP fairies would be a good opportunity to bring back Ribbon from Kirby 64. I'd love to see the return of some old characters.

Oh, and speaking of colors (or closely related anyway), but am I remembering wrong or weren't the characters at the top of the site colorless in the past? Or am I just going crazy here?
Fire Emblem x Kirby, undress and fondle Dedede.:4dedede:

:troll:
FExPDP is fine by me.
Say what you want about me, but I don't really appreciate these kinds of jokes, not when franchises I like are involved. It's bad enough they're pandering to the stereotypical otaku with the new FE games, no need to bring other Nintendo franchises into it. Not to mention it's creepy.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
(I think the characters at the top are colored in because of the outlawing of discrimination in marriage in the US.)

I guess art styles aren't really a reason to consider a crossover unviable, considering M&L: Paper Jam. I'd love for Ribbon to come back too! Especially if they gave her a rivalry with Ruby. : P

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Say what you want about me, but I don't really appreciate these kinds of jokes, not when franchises I like are involved. It's bad enough they're pandering to the stereotypical otaku with the new FE games, no need to bring other Nintendo franchises into it. Not to mention it's creepy.
I get that a lot of people don't seem to like the new FE, but it was just a harmless joke.

I don't really appreciate being lumped in with creepy otaku either.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Not to mention, given the art style, that there are plenty of people who see that the main character of Panel de Pon is a cute little girl and assume. I think (sexual) fanservice should be kept as far away from fairies as is possible too, but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

So... how would Kirby x Panel de Pon work exactly? Platformer? Puzzle game? RPG? Column A, column B? What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

I get that a lot of people don't seem to like the new FE, but it was just a harmless joke.

I don't really appreciate being lumped in with creepy otaku either.
I didn't lump you into the group, if that's what you're implying. I said the joke was kinda creepy, not you.

Not to mention, given the art style, that there are plenty of people who see that the main character of Panel de Pon is a cute little girl and assume. I think (sexual) fanservice should be kept as far away from fairies as is possible too, but people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
Not sure what you're getting at here. PdP artstyle can't be compared to whatever they're doing with FE, a game that even lets you touch your own child all over the face and strip your troops down to their underwear, something that never once has been part of the franchise before and feels totally out of place, seeing as FE has always been one of Nintendo's more serious franchises.

Are you equaling all that to a cute artstyle in a kid friendly game? People can assume all they want, but their is a clear difference. But I'm done with the FE debate in this thread, if you want to continue, you can do so via PM.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My point is, there's a kind of stigma around adult fans of kids' series with primarily female casts, especially male fans. One look at the jokes about how many female Inklings are played by 30-year-old men, or the complete idiocy surrounding My Little Pony's adult fandom, should be proof enough of that.

I love Panel de Pon's art style and character designs absolutely to death, mind you. I wish that stigma wasn't around so that certain people would give it a chance.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I didn't lump you into the group, if that's what you're implying. I said the joke was kinda creepy, not you.
Not you specifically, just that the general consensus is that Fates is for "creepy otakus" and the game is nothing but pandering. Every time I see someone mention that, they may as well be calling me one since I like how the game looks.

One look at the jokes about how many female Inklings are played by 30-year-old men.
Or this. I guess in less than ten years I will be that one creepy guy. That's a lovely thought.

Top Bottom