• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Personally, I love the Fever style. The original designs are great, don't get me wrong, but the Fever designs just have so much more charm and personality to me. That said, no, definitely don't change Panel de Pon's art style. It's great as is.

D

Deleted member

What a strange topic. But anyway, the difference between Lip and Peach (or basically the entire Smash cast in dresses) is the lenght. Censoring Peach, Zelda and Rosalina works much better (both, in Smash and as an amiibo) due to most of their legs being obstructed by their long dresses. Lip on the other hand wears a short skirt, so censoring her would just look pretty weird.

Of course there are ways to prevent a pantyshot without the legs going into nothing. For one, they could give her shorts under her skirt, Another way would be to give Lip a sitting pose, like the Chibi-Robo amiibo. In this case, Lip actually has an advantage by not being in Smash. All Smash amiibo are modeled after their official render, which is quite problematic for certain characters. Lip doesn't have to bother with that, so they can just pose her however they want.

Come to think of it, how did they handle the Palutena amiibo? On one hand, she also has a long dress, but also a high slit, which is even higher than the hemline of Lip's skirt.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd guess Lip would get the female Villager treatment, sadly.

Now I'm curious about that other Lip figure...

D

Deleted member

Well, there are At least two known figures, both pretty much identical in pose. Collectible figurines like that usually do have panties and with a skirt that high flying, it would look weird if that weren't the case here as well.

And I hope she doesn't get the Villager treatment as well, but not becasue of upskirts. I really dislike the look of bloomers peeking out from under the skirt. I just think it looks ugly. I don't have anything against them otherwise though.

Also "sadly"? Well, if you're curious, her panties are sky blue, according to the only official source of them.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
"Found Peach's Lip's ???"

In all honesty, though, it makes me very uncomfortable discussing what Lip wears "down there". It's creepy. She's not super young or anything, but she still can't be that old (my headcanon's about 10-12). Picture being outside this fandom and running across a bunch of people on the Internet discussing the underpants of a almost-definitely prepubescent girl. Would you want to hang out with them? Is this really the image you want to put forward?

Like, why can't we just say "it'll be bloomers" and be done with it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Palutena's unmentionables are closer to booty shorts than they are actual panties. They're also much more difficult to see than you'd think.

I love F!Villager's bloomers, I think they're adorable~

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Also "sadly"? Well, if you're curious, her panties are sky blue, according to the only official source of them.
...There's an official source on that? Why am I not surprised.

I'll have to change my picture to make it more accurate.
In all honesty, though, it makes me very uncomfortable discussing what Lip wears "down there". It's creepy. She's not super young or anything, but she still can't be that old (my headcanon's about 10-12). Picture being outside this fandom and running across a bunch of people on the Internet discussing the underpants of a almost-definitely prepubescent girl. Would you want to hang out with them? Is this really the image you want to put forward?
Worrying about the age of a fictional character. Technically speaking, she's about as old as me, so yeah.
Sounds like my kind of people.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I mean, it would be less of an issue in Japan. Apparently, underage characters get panty-shots quite often there simply for the cuteness factor, and often to emphasize their lack of sexuality. but if you bring this up with people who live over here - especially people who have never heard of Lip before - they're just going to think we're a bunch of creeps. And really, Lip gets enough flack for being a "loli" (which she isn't, but you know how quick people are to assume when it comes to young Japanese-created female characters in skirts) as it is.

I never got the whole "age doesn't matter, they're a fictional character" thing. Fact of the matter is, Lip is drawn to look young, and discussion of her in the context of something that is, by our standards, typically sexual is inherently going to make me feel uncomfortable, same as it would with any young-looking character.

Frankly, if her legs didn't end up fading into a black void past the knees like what they did with Peach and Rosalina, she'd most likely wear bloomers in SSB4. It would let her keep the skirt and remain physically active in it without exposing anything inappropriate. Remember, Nintendo of the now is much more internationally focused than the Nintendo of ten or even five years ago. I'm pretty sure they're aware of what people would think if they released as SSB4 DLC a cute little girl wearing nothing below her skirt except briefs. Palutena can get away with it because, besides the whole ageless goddess thing, she's drawn as an attractive woman. Lip isn't, and can't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, different standards. I don't think discussing how Lip would be handled in case of an amiibo is sexual at all. At least I don't see it like that and that's coming from someone who absolutely doesn't like ecchi stuff.

Unless you were referring to my "light blue" remark? I was mostly joking about that, but if it bothers you that much, blame the developers of Captain Rainbow for exposing her underwear 24/7. And I'm not exaggerating about that. I'm fairly certain I still have the in-game model of her if you require proof.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Nah, it was mostly directed at James D Naux for the implication that it's silly to get so uppity about the age of a fictional character. Discussion of how an amiibo would handle things isn't that bad, but I'm not sure if I like James's focus on it.

...Captain Rainbow? Canon? Get outta here. : P

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's extremely silly, as silly as it is to get upset about killing pixels on a screen in Grand Theft Auto. It's not real.

Focus? Gee, am I being made out as the thread creep now? Always the outcast.

D

Deleted member

...Captain Rainbow? Canon? Get outta here. : P
Hehe, strictly speaking I never said it's canon, just that it's pretty much the only non-fanon stuff which shows her underwear (far too much, at that). But on the bright side, we also get to see her actually using magic and the developers get points for modeling her house after the old PdP artwork and not using the design that's seen in-game, showing they did do research.

But it's no secret I'm not a fan of the art direction Captain Rainbow took. It's nice that it's a game where obscure and forgotten characters (and Birdo) get the spotlight, but the entire game is so ugly.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Regardless, they'd either give Lip a magic skirt with a black void past her knees or put her in bloomers. It's not just that they'd look cute - bloomers have precedence, since Furil wears them in the Puzzle Collection sequel. Maybe robin's-egg blue ones as a nod to Captain Rainbow?

CH4F

Smash Cadet
Well, a puzzle/RPG hybrid wouldn't be the first time it happened, looking at Puyo Puyo here, another franchise that basically doesn't exist in the west.
Magical Drop did have that, too, with the 4th episode, Magical Drop F.
It seams easy enogh to just do an RPG by replacing turn battles by some puzzle battles.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It could also work as a hybrid. You would have a standard turn-based battle on the top screen/TV screen with a Panel de Pon game on the bottom screen/Game Pad, and doing well in the Panel de Pon game would grant you temporary bonuses (maybe a turn or two) in the turn-based battle. If you hit the top of the screen while playing the Panel de Pon half, you wouldn't be able to get those bonuses for either the rest of the battle or about five minutes real-time as a penalty.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's been a while since we've gone a full day without any posts. ...Did I kill the thread? You guys still there? Somebody speak to me D:

I picked up Splatoon a few days ago, and I've been playing it... probably a bit more than is healthy, heheh. There's a little part of me that wants to draw Lip as an Inkling, but I'm not sure how well it would go down.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's been a while since we've gone a full day without any posts. ...Did I kill the thread? You guys still there? Somebody speak to me D:

I picked up Splatoon a few days ago, and I've been playing it... probably a bit more than is healthy, heheh. There's a little part of me that wants to draw Lip as an Inkling, but I'm not sure how well it would go down.
Eveyone's been turned into an Inkling, might as well go for it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Twas pantsu what killed the beast.

My area of expertise isn't needed here, so I'm just lurking. Not really much to talk about.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
I'M BACK TO SAVE THIS THREAD!
I'll explain why Lip should join Smash Bros. once again. Her series and herself are being treated like dirt because Intelligent Systems is just too big to care about Panel de Pon anymore. So Lip is pretty much suffering the same fate as Megaman, so we have to get her in the game.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I'M BACK TO SAVE THIS THREAD!
I'll explain why Lip should join Smash Bros. once again. Her series and herself are being treated like dirt because Intelligent Systems is just too big to care about Panel de Pon anymore. So Lip is pretty much suffering the same fate as Megaman, so we have to get her in the game.
Well IS got a lot to work on. Pushmo, FE, Advance Wars, Paper Mario. They don't have that many people either so they can't even work on HD games.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well IS got a lot to work on. Pushmo, FE, Advance Wars, Paper Mario. They don't have that many people either so they can't even work on HD games.
I don't really see that. I think IS have more than enough people to do HD games with how much stuff they've got going on. However, all things considered, they DO too much for them to be able to handle HD games. Which is also why Paper Mario is EXTREMELY unlikely to happen anytime soon. We'd be more likely to get Advance Wars than a new Paper Mario.

They actually have talked about a new console Fire Emblem game; they didn't say they weren't big enough to make one, they just said that they'd have to ensure that a console Fire Emblem would sell, so it was unlikely to happen.

Panel de Pon is actually one of the things they'd be more likely to be able to handle, honestly.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
It'll take a miracle for Panel de Pon to return now that Dr. Mario Miracle Cure hits stores on the eShop next Thursday. So we can hope for the best of IS.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It'll take a miracle for Panel de Pon to return now that Dr. Mario Miracle Cure hits stores on the eShop next Thursday. So we can hope for the best of IS.
Nah, Dr. Mario and Panel de Pon have existed side by side for some time. Panel de Pon stopped coming for a while, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't consider bringing it back.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I got my fingers crossed for some announcement as well! Part of me is losing all hope like the pessimist I am, but I also want to keep hoping. We just got a brand new Puzzle game, and an announcement for a new Doctor Mario... Maybe Nintendo is realizing how people like Puzzle games, and might throw in Panel de pon somewhere in there... But localized as a Zelda Puzzler or something...

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
With the tons of Puzzle-game we had these last years, like Pokémon Shuffle, Puzzle & Dragon and Dr Mario Miracle Curse, we should have great hope for the return of Panel de Pon Neo + Yoshi's Tetris Attack !

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
I've received word Lucas is available on June 14th. That's two days before E3.
So we might not be able to receive some more Smash DLC news, but don't start getting upset! We still got time before 10/3!!!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
how does that stop the ability of getting DLC news. If anything it helps.
I can't help agreeing with us not getting news, probably: perhaps Nintendo wants us to enjoy Lucas until his hype dies down.

On the other hand, Lucas got revealed in the time where Mewtwo-hype was highest, so it could happen here again.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've received word Lucas is available on June 14th. That's two days before E3.
So we might not be able to receive some more Smash DLC news, but don't start getting upset! We still got time before 10/3!!!
Nah, I fully disagree. I think its guaranteed that a new character will be announced at E3. Probably Ryu and Roy or Wolf. And -maybe- a new character, but it'd probably only be stating who the first ballot character is. (I don't think Wolf AND Roy will be announced at E3, though.)

I don't see how this reduces the chance of getting Smash DLC news, honestly. I didn't really think E3 would focus heavily on Lucas at all. The only reason I even considered the possibility of Lucas' release date getting announced at E3 is because I thought E3 was earlier in the month than it actually was.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
If Lip is announced at E3, prepare to lose your minds... and heads.
Haha, I would explode in sheer happiness if that actually happened. But I'm pretty sure with it being E3 and all, Nintendo will probably release something big that everyone would immediately recognize. If we do get any new character announcement, I'm expecting it to be Inklings or something.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Haha, I would explode in sheer happiness if that actually happened. But I'm pretty sure with it being E3 and all, Nintendo will probably release something big that everyone would immediately recognize. If we do get any new character announcement, I'm expecting it to be Inklings or something.
All things considered... there's no way they'll announce Inklings at E3. They wouldn't have bothered with the Inkling Mii Fighter costumes if that was the case. Whether Inklings won't happen as DLC at all, they're certainly not a preplanned character by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, the odds of Lip at E3 are incredibly slim. If we were to get a newcomer character from Nintendo it'd be K. Rool if anyone. The best thing we can hope for is a new Panel de Pon game getting announced and pray it has Lip in it.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
We'll see who the next DLC character is in 10 days. If Lip doesn't get confirmed at E3, please don't start crying and lose all hope, Panel Poppers, for we still got time to #PopTheVote for her before 10/3.

Now here's a plan to get Lip voted more in Smash Bros., folks. I'll tell you step-by-step what we need to do help up her spirits:
1: Ask fans on the Smashboards if they are familiar with the item, Lip's Stick. Then show them what game it came from (Which is Panel de Pon) and why its rightful owner (Lip) needs to be in the game so fans can vote for her. Then the word about Lip will be spread more.
2: Continuously spread the word on Twitter and Tumblr quick, and use these hashtags: #Lip4Smash #PopTheVote #BlockTheVote #VoteForLip
3: Make fanfiction stories of Lip wanting to be in Smash Bros, even make a trailer transcript of her (Yoshi and Pikachu need to be in Lip's trailer to show that they stole Lip's game by reskinning it).
4: Create promotional pictures of Lip's Smash voting and share your creations on tumblr! Maybe make an animation and share it on YouTube!

We're 10 days to the Nintendo Digital Event, so we need to continue to Panel Pop the vote for our dear Fairy of Flowers. We won't let her down, for she needs to get out of the garbage dump of rejected/neglected Nintendo characters and show the entire Smash roster who's boss around here! As I believe in fairies, I believe that Lip can make it if she believes in her fans! So, let's help her!

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
We'll see who the next DLC character is in 10 days. If Lip doesn't get confirmed at E3, please don't start crying and lose all hope, Panel Poppers, for we still got time to #PopTheVote for her before 10/3.

Now here's a plan to get Lip voted more in Smash Bros., folks. I'll tell you step-by-step what we need to do help up her spirits:
1: Ask fans on the Smashboards if they are familiar with the item, Lip's Stick. Then show them what game it came from (Which is Panel de Pon) and why its rightful owner (Lip) needs to be in the game so fans can vote for her. Then the word about Lip will be spread more.
2: Continuously spread the word on Twitter and Tumblr quick, and use these hashtags: #Lip4Smash #PopTheVote #BlockTheVote #VoteForLip
3: Make fanfiction stories of Lip wanting to be in Smash Bros, even make a trailer transcript of her (Yoshi and Pikachu need to be in Lip's trailer to show that they stole Lip's game by reskinning it).
4: Create promotional pictures of Lip's Smash voting and share your creations on tumblr! Maybe make an animation and share it on YouTube!

We're 10 days to the Nintendo Digital Event, so we need to continue to Panel Pop the vote for our dear Fairy of Flowers. We won't let her down, for she needs to get out of the garbage dump of rejected/neglected Nintendo characters and show the entire Smash roster who's boss around here! As I believe in fairies, I believe that Lip can make it if she believes in her fans! So, let's help her!
*cough cough Smashified cough*

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
I will cry of happiness if Lip is announced at E3, but this is not very realist.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
What IS could do if they really don't feel like working on a new Panel de Pon game is make a non-puzzle spinoff, but instead of working on it directly, turning it over to another second-party developer like AlphaDream, Good-Feel, or Monolith Soft (imagine exploring a Popples as huge and detailed as the world of Xenoblade... *drools*) and only doing the programming on some obligatory puzzle elements for the main development team to later flesh out.

The Nintendo Digital Event is next week. I'm feeling a little foolish for expecting anything related to Panel de Pon or Lip in SSB4, but I want to keep an open mind, honestly.

It'll take a miracle for Panel de Pon to return now that Dr. Mario Miracle Cure hits stores on the eShop next Thursday.
Or... a Miracle Cure?

Last edited:
Top Bottom