• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
We are. Maybe we can do Fanfiction stories of Lip joining the battle and more promotional pictures to up her chances.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Good to see all the activity in here. Feels great being on two retro teams that are in full "never give up" mode. :D

That is the best recommendation to give right now. Reason being; seeing a character smashified lets people see it as tangible, something to grasp and hold, something possible.

Sending letters to Nintendo will only do so much, we need to spread the idea of Lip being in as a huge want. Telling people how her games got the boot when it came to Yoshi and Pokemon games would get people upset that a Nintendo character was hidden from them, it is already happening to Takamaru's fanbase and it is growing rapidly, Lip just needs that Spark that shows she is top Nintendo material to the masses.

We already know Lip is top material, due to her originality and uniqueness amongest the rest of the cast (Puzzle based fighter? No one else does that yet). If we spread the truth that Lip was given the short end of the stick and was not shown to the public properly, then that will form a sort of "Mob" of fans that hate how unjust Lip has been treated.
I'm still actually consistently impressed by this to be honest. Before release, there was a large sentiment of "who" followed by a casual dismissal of the character. Something about the Fighter Ballot though has put Takamaru into a wholly new light, one that actually has a lot of people very interested in the character, but without any means to say as much as a group. I feel like the biggest keys for folks like Takamaru, Lip, and other retros is going to be in high visibility fan art depicting them in more modern ways and of course detailing what it is that makes them A+ tier Smash candidates.

I still haven't heard anything from my acquaintance about doing a three way set of collab images between Team Takamaru, Team Lip and Team Mike Jones, but God knows if it happens, I will do everything in my power to get these guys some well needed staying power.

On another note, have we come up with our vote message/hashtag yet? Takamaru bros have already started using #SlashTheVote, so I'm wondering if we have something similar to work with. Maybe #SwapTheVote?

Edit: On another tangent, I remember at one point, some of you guys were making a model for a "modern" Lip and trying to get her into more fan games. Anyone want to update on those endeavors?

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Good to see all the activity in here. Feels great being on two retro teams that are in full "never give up" mode. :D

I'm still actually consistently impressed by this to be honest. Before release, there was a large sentiment of "who" followed by a casual dismissal of the character. Something about the Fighter Ballot though has put Takamaru into a wholly new light, one that actually has a lot of people very interested in the character, but without any means to say as much as a group. I feel like the biggest keys for folks like Takamaru, Lip, and other retros is going to be in high visibility fan art depicting them in more modern ways and of course detailing what it is that makes them A+ tier Smash candidates.

I still haven't heard anything from my acquaintance about doing a three way set of collab images between Team Takamaru, Team Lip and Team Mike Jones, but God knows if it happens, I will do everything in my power to get these guys some well needed staying power.

On another note, have we come up with our vote message/hashtag yet? Takamaru bros have already started using #SlashTheVote, so I'm wondering if we have something similar to work with. Maybe #SwapTheVote?

Edit: On another tangent, I remember at one point, some of you guys were making a model for a "modern" Lip and trying to get her into more fan games. Anyone want to update on those endeavors?
Hey can Excitebiker join your party? Just wondering. My thread is not very active.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Hey can Excitebiker join your party? Just wondering. My thread is very active.
I honestly don't know. I was already very hesitant to ask about additional characters since this was just a passion project between me and a friend who has art connections for Takamaru initially. I haven't gotten Lip or Mike Jones cleared yet, but if anything happens, I'll keep you all informed.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I honestly don't know. I was already very hesitant to ask about additional characters since this was just a passion project between me and a friend who has art connections for Takamaru initially. I haven't gotten Lip or Mike Jones cleared yet, but if anything happens, I'll keep you all informed.
Cool cool, btw I meant to say not very active.

Guys if Lip gets in with a stage what would it be.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Someone created a render of a stage based on the backgrounds in PdP a while back that I really liked. It had a nice use of colors and a surreal look a la Yoshi's Island in Summer/Fall.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Someone created a render of a stage based on the backgrounds in PdP a while back that I really liked. It had a nice use of colors and a surreal look a la Yoshi's Island in Summer/Fall.
If you're talking about Taigiry's stage, that was an actual Brawl mod they released a while back along with a Lip model swap over Peach. It is really neat, though - I remember they used some pictures of Lip a few people (including me) drew as background art.

I've been thinking of a few Panel de Pon stage ideas myself, one for the 3DS game and one for the Wii U game. I could post them here when I'm done if anyone likes.

My personal favorite is #PopTheVote.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Glad you like it.

I'm seeing almost unanimous praise for that tag, so are we all agreed on #PopTheVote?

Simon-King

Smash Rookie
Awesome Work Guys!

Im amazed that Lip has so much Fans.

I voted for Lip on the ballot because I´m a huge Fan.

Together with my Brother Hiro-sofT I worked on an RPG called Lips Adventure becuase we loved the Characters so much
but sadly our Real Life Problems got in our way and The Game got put on ice.

However our Love for the Character never died and so we are still supporting Lip for SSB4 DLC.

I also agree on the tag #PopTheVote.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Together with my Brother Hiro-sofT I worked on an RPG called Lips Adventure becuase we loved the Characters so much
OH MY GOSH IT'S YOU
FROM THIS :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v628KEOzF-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUs1NfoLB8

Too bad the game is on hiatus. It looks fantastic and I'd have loved to give the finished product a whirl!

Hopefully the multinational support Lip is getting will convince Big N that Panel de Pon has appeal not just in Japan, but internationally too. It's great to have you on board!

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
OK, so I have a new idea I might be using in the interim time as I haven't heard from my GAF acquaintance just yet. That project is still going to happen, but I was reminded of another acquaintance's talent for art and I'm currently thinking about splurging on a commissioned three piece shared scene for my top three (Takamaru, Lip & Mike Jones).

Thing is, I don't know what to even request and I guess I'm going to try fielding some ideas from everyone here for the Lip section. I'm also going to mention this in Takamaru's support group in the Predefined Role section and Mike Jones' thread (as seemingly dead as it is) to see what kind of support there is for the idea.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see my name has been brought up.
Well, quite frankly, I'd prefer if that thing I did would be forgotten, I'm not exactly proud of it. To be honest... it's just crap which never should've been released to the public in that state..

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh, come on, you're being wayyyy too hard on yourself. It's fine as it is, honestly! ^^

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
That's friggen awesome. Also super cool to see my palette swap ideas being used for it!

I'm once again popping in after an absence to see how everyone's holding up. I'm overjoyed to see that the enthusiasm as not only held strong, but seems to have gotten even stronger with more people coming aboard and showing off their passion. We even got the old creator of PDP RPG to stop by! Keep it up, everyone!

D

Deleted member

Oh, come on, you're being wayyyy too hard on yourself. It's fine as it is, honestly! ^^
Nah, I'm perfectly honest. I mean, I made the whole thing, so I know everything wrong with it. Not only that, but I was a bloody beginner back then and have improved now. I didn't even know how to make a hill.

Not only the models, but also the textures do bother me. I know someone aboved liked how it looks, but if were to remake it, I'd go with a more pastel-colored look, to be closer to the artwork, and also maybe give the characters a slight pinkish hue. I think that way it would make everything seem more dream like and fantastical. That's actually a pretty recent idea I got while watching a LP video of a SMW hack (or level, to be more specific) which had a pastel look to it and I liked how it looked.

I always did want to revisit it, but general lack of motivation kinda hinders me. Like I open the file, stare at it, do one thing and then that was it. I guess the general lack of interest in Brawl nowadays doesn't help either.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Nah, I'm perfectly honest. I mean, I made the whole thing, so I know everything wrong with it. Not only that, but I was a bloody beginner back then and have improved now. I didn't even know how to make a hill.

Not only the models, but also the textures do bother me. I know someone aboved liked how it looks, but if were to remake it, I'd go with a more pastel-colored look, to be closer to the artwork, and also maybe give the characters a slight pinkish hue. I think that way it would make everything seem more dream like and fantastical. That's actually a pretty recent idea I got while watching a LP video of a SMW hack (or level, to be more specific) which had a pastel look to it and I liked how it looked.

I always did want to revisit it, but general lack of motivation kinda hinders me. Like I open the file, stare at it, do one thing and then that was it. I guess the general lack of interest in Brawl nowadays doesn't help either.
If you imporved, it's also thanks to that work. It happend to me too, there's no need to bash your old works, they are all little (or big) steps into improving your skills; there is no limit to improvement, and even with your actual skills, I know that in 1 year or 2 you will improve even more, and the more effort you will put into your works, the more you will learn new things and improve yourself.
Anyway, I liked those old models made by you; I criticized them a bit, but because I wanted to help with constructive criticism, and I wanted to give some suggestions (I'm very critical with everything, with works made by myself especially).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Awesome Work Guys!

Im amazed that Lip has so much Fans.

I voted for Lip on the ballot because I´m a huge Fan.

However our Love for the Character never died and so we are still supporting Lip for SSB4 DLC.

I also agree on the tag #PopTheVote.
What an unexpected surprise to see you here! I remember checking out your videos diligently as I was quite happy and curious about how someone developed Lip's world upon. Very amazed to see you here.

Support still goes strong which has me really glad. We better now start working for more exposure of Lip to new fans with what we have at hand (Smashified for example).

Wow!! As much as it's a render of a popular image, this almost has an official feel. Amazing work!

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
OK, so I have a new idea I might be using in the interim time as I haven't heard from my GAF acquaintance just yet. That project is still going to happen, but I was reminded of another acquaintance's talent for art and I'm currently thinking about splurging on a commissioned three piece shared scene for my top three (Takamaru, Lip & Mike Jones).

Thing is, I don't know what to even request and I guess I'm going to try fielding some ideas from everyone here for the Lip section. I'm also going to mention this in Takamaru's support group in the Predefined Role section and Mike Jones' thread (as seemingly dead as it is) to see what kind of support there is for the idea.
This is great, but personnaly, I prefer Prince of Sable more than Mike Jones ^^

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
IMO, Lip has a bigger shot at being playable than any of the other three (Takamaru, Sable Prince, Mike Jones). Takamaru and the Prince are assist trophies already. Mike would be neat, but he'd be an even bigger "who?" than Little Mac in Japan since neither of his games were ever released there.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I don't care about chances honestly. This is a longevity support move with the ultimate happy end being some people in game get promoted. I'm doing this mostly because these characters are great and shouldn't get drowned out because of the community's assumptions. The Fighter Ballot is as much a piece of market research as it is a chance for an undetermined amount of characters to make the cut as bonuses from the Smash 4 team. As such, I want to ensure that people vote who they want versus deferring to other "sure hits" because "reasons no one on the dev team stated outright and are assumed by the fanbase".

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I was thinking of the subpar reaction my art got.

Though I suppose it was a bit too ecchi for most tastes.

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Here's a question:
Just in case if there is a Wii U Panel de Pon, with eShop ports of Pokemon Puzzle League, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, and Planet Puzzle League, do you think the D-Pad on the Wii U GamePad and the Pro Controller are mushy and can be used often when battling online?
The SNES controller has a mushy D-Pad when playing Tetris Attack.

PsychoJosh

Posted it a while back.
[collapse=][/collapse]
My Shantae art didn't take off much either.
Well, if you'd like critique, it's not exactly the lewdest thing in the world. However her head seems abnormally large and the pose she's sitting in doesn't make sense. Legs can't bend that far backwards from the knee.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I want to ensure that people vote who they want versus deferring to other "sure hits" because "reasons no one on the dev team stated outright and are assumed by the fanbase".
Like... "Lip can't be a fighter because Lip's Stick is already an item?" : P

I'm hoping the fighter ballot will prove helpful as market research too. If nothing else, it'll hopefully prove Nintendo wrong that Panel de Pon has no appeal outside of Japan.

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
IMO, Lip has a bigger shot at being playable than any of the other three (Takamaru, Sable Prince, Mike Jones). Takamaru and the Prince are assist trophies already. Mike would be neat, but he'd be an even bigger "who?" than Little Mac in Japan since neither of his games were ever released there.
Is there anything else : These three are more popular than Lip.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd agree about Sable Prince and Mike Jones, but not Takamaru. Sakurai specifically mentioned him saying that that the only thing holding him back is unfamiliarity form western audiences. Now that he is an assist trophy, and Nazo no Murasame Jo is on the VC, he has a better chance, I'd say.

:231:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Come to think of it, what appearance does everyone usually default to when they think about Lip as a playable character? Personally, I always liked this art:

Great proportions, use of color and pretty much fits like a glove with the rest of the Nintendo cast. I've seen a few folks use her more "chibi" appearance in the past though and felt as though it might be worth discussing.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Come to think of it, what appearance does everyone usually default to when they think about Lip as a playable character? Personally, I always liked this art:

Great proportions, use of color and pretty much fits like a glove with the rest of the Nintendo cast. I've seen a few folks use her more "chibi" appearance in the past though and felt as though it might be worth discussing.
This is the only design for Lip imo.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Either of the designs from her official Panel de Pon art work for me, though an actual modern redesign would be cool as well.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Either of the designs from her official Panel de Pon art work for me, though an actual modern redesign would be cool as well.
The most I'd want them to do with that art in making it more modern is try to give her spats or shorts under her skirt or something to deter that kind of attention. It's really really good and holds up well.

PsychoJosh

What's wrong with pantsu?

Spats don't really seem like they'd suit Lip. They'd most likely give her bloomers.

Top Bottom