• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, if you'd like critique, it's not exactly the lewdest thing in the world. However her head seems abnormally large and the pose she's sitting in doesn't make sense. Legs can't bend that far backwards from the knee.
Well it is the safe version.

Don't see what you mean with the legs, they're curved together with one going over the other.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
More like "I-suck".

I would tweet at him to Smashify Lip but I don't have a usable twitter account anymore.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
More like "I-suck".

I would tweet at him to Smashify Lip but I don't have a usable twitter account anymore.
At that rate I might stop coming here, but I really don't want to do that. I like K. Rool, I like Isaac. I also like Lip a lot.

D

Deleted member

Posted it a while back.
[collapse=]
[/collapse]
My Shantae art didn't take off much either.
Well then, I'll try.
I'm a fan of drawings that don't have an outline, gives things a more "natural" look for lack of better word. Also I love how the eyes shine, it's sparkly and cute (and I love sparkly and cute things).

Although the feet seem way too small. Right now it's close to a cheap Happy Meal toy that can't even stand by itself and needs a base. And I don't think the thigh-highs really suit her, though that's an artistic choice on your end. But I'm not a fan of them. I mean, I don't dislike thigh-highs in general, I wear them sometimes as well, but they just seem weird on Lip to me also white is, like, the worst color there is for clothing. Sorry, not a fan of wearing white, hehe. But maybe try a slight pinkish hue for them? Not full on pink like the skirt, that would be overkill, just a bit.

But geez Lip, why would you sit like that in a short skirt?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well then, I'll try.
I'm a fan of drawings that don't have an outline, gives things a more "natural" look for lack of better word. Also I love how the eyes shine, it's sparkly and cute (and I love sparkly and cute things).

Although the feet seem way too small. Right now it's close to a cheap Happy Meal toy that can't even stand by itself and needs a base. And I don't think the thigh-highs really suit her, though that's an artistic choice on your end. But I'm not a fan of them. I mean, I don't dislike thigh-highs in general, I wear them sometimes as well, but they just seem weird on Lip to me also white is, like, the worst color there is for clothing. Sorry, not a fan of wearing white, hehe. But maybe try a slight pinkish hue for them? Not full on pink like the skirt, that would be overkill, just a bit.

But geez Lip, why would you sit like that in a short skirt?
Thanks! I really appreciate the review.
:happysheep:

As for the stockings, the original version lacks them.
[collapse=]

[collapse=]
I like the white, but maybe black is better.

[/collapse]
[/collapse]

D

Deleted member

Thanks! I really appreciate the review.
:happysheep:

As for the stockings, the original version lacks them.
[collapse=]

[collapse=]
I like the white, but maybe black is better.

[/collapse]
[/collapse]
Gotta say, I think it does indeed look better without them. Although I think the second outfit there doesn't look as bad, too. Maybe the white indeed clashed too much with the predominantly pink/yellow of Lip's normal color scheme. Or it's indeed my big dislike against white clothing, which I'm very picky about...

Oh right, there's something else I forgot previously, are you going for a slightly more realistic approach in her design? Because Lip's a pretty cartoony character, so seeing her with eyes and a mouth that small looks a bit odd at first. But again, loving how sparkly the eyes are. They look like they hold a mini galaxy in them, hehe.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Gotta say, I think it does indeed look better without them. Although I think the second outfit there doesn't look as bad, too. Maybe the white indeed clashed too much with the predominantly pink/yellow of Lip's normal color scheme. Or it's indeed my big dislike against white clothing, which I'm very picky about...

Oh right, there's something else I forgot previously, are you going for a slightly more realistic approach in her design? Because Lip's a pretty cartoony character, so seeing her with eyes and a mouth that small looks a bit odd at first. But again, loving how sparkly the eyes are. They look like they hold a mini galaxy in them, hehe.
Hmm, the initial idea behind the stockings was to add something extra to her design, like what happened to Pit in Brawl.

I didn't want it to be too drastic though, since her original design was already well enough.

I was going for a Smash kind of look, unrealistic proportions (but still not chibi) with higher detail. Think Ness' big head.
Pff, my Rosalina picture has way sparkly-er eyes.

Last edited:

CH4F

Smash Cadet
Here's a question:
Just in case if there is a Wii U Panel de Pon, with eShop ports of Pokemon Puzzle League, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, and Planet Puzzle League, do you think the D-Pad on the Wii U GamePad and the Pro Controller are mushy and can be used often when battling online?
The SNES controller has a mushy D-Pad when playing Tetris Attack.
Dunno, but I think we should be preocupied about just the fact that it can be compatible with the classic controller, addon of the Wii Mote controller. With that, we can put every controller we can, even a Super NES pad.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, the initial idea behind the stockings was to add something extra to her design, like what happened to Pit in Brawl.

I didn't want it to be too drastic though, since her original design was already well enough.

I was going for a Smash kind of look, unrealistic proportions (but still not chibi) with higher detail. Think Ness' big head.
Pff, my Rosalina picture has way sparkly-er eyes.
Yeah, makes sense. Redesigning something is always a difficult task. On one hand, you wanna add something of your own or make something more modern, on the other hand, you still want to keep it recognizable. I have some experience with it as well, so I can relate to that. And some retro characters sure would benefit from that, like the already mentioned Pit. I suppose my biggest problem with the thigh-highs is the color, which is just a personal preference. Outta curiousity I gave them a pinkish hue, what do you think? I'm by no means an artist, so it's a pretty sloppy job.

Ugh, don't remind me of Ness, seriously, what were they thinking? Let's make a game that is the most colorful smash since 64... and get rid of the color in Ness' eyes and the blush on his cheeks. Why? It's not like an artist needs hours to add such simple details to a texture.
Hehe, well, I can't compare your Lip pic with Rosa as I haven't seen that one.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Yeah, makes sense. Redesigning something is always a difficult task. On one hand, you wanna add something of your own or make something more modern, on the other hand, you still want to keep it recognizable. I have some experience with it as well, so I can relate to that. And some retro characters sure would benefit from that, like the already mentioned Pit. I suppose my biggest problem with the thigh-highs is the color, which is just a personal preference. Outta curiousity I gave them a pinkish hue, what do you think? I'm by no means an artist, so it's a pretty sloppy job.

Ugh, don't remind me of Ness, seriously, what were they thinking? Let's make a game that is the most colorful smash since 64... and get rid of the color in Ness' eyes and the blush on his cheeks. Why? It's not like an artist needs hours to add such simple details to a texture.
Hehe, well, I can't compare your Lip pic with Rosa as I haven't seen that one.
The pink seems a bit too much with the already pink skirt and bow. I thought the white balanced out everything nicely and were standard enough, but they were added as a second thought anyway so it's not really necessary.

As a Ness main since 64, I think he looks better than ever. He even looks closer to the clay model, actually.
That picture will remain unseen.

D

Deleted member

All that talk about Lip recently actually inspired me to actually work on remaking that old model. So far I only did the lotus in front and the bulb + leaves in the background, because god knows why the export was so messed up... I do not know how long that will take, my interest kinda comes and goes.

The pink seems a bit too much with the already pink skirt and bow. I thought the white balanced out everything nicely and were standard enough, but they were added as a second thought anyway so it's not really necessary.

As a Ness main since 64, I think he looks better than ever. He even looks closer to the clay model, actually.
That picture will remain unseen.
There can never be too much pink, hehe.

Oh, I agree, Ness definitely looks better, the brighter colors of Smash 4 work wonders. I just don't understand why they get rid of those details that have been around since 64 (blush) or Melee (eye highlights). Not to mention, even the clay model had the blush on his cheeks.
"What could possibly go wrong?" ~ Bubsy

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
There can never be too much pink, hehe.

Oh, I agree, Ness definitely looks better, the brighter colors of Smash 4 work wonders. I just don't understand why they get rid of those details that have been around since 64 (blush) or Melee (eye highlights). Not to mention, even the clay model had the blush on his cheeks.
"What could possibly go wrong?" ~ Bubsy
I suppose, but this isn't a Ness thread so I'll cut off on that line of thought. Pink is good, but it clashes with the overall design.
I'd be banned on the spot, so a lot would go wrong.

Can't wait to see more of the model.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Good to see you're working on that stage model again, Tai. ^^

Let's not disparage other characters in this thread. It makes the Lip community seem hostile and unwelcoming, and that's definitely not what we want.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
That's true. Oh, and since that June is around the corner, it's time for something special to share in honor of the occasion of Panel de Pon / Puzzle League's 20th birthday. This special desktop you can use. Let's hope this special wallpaper honoring Puzzle League will level up Lip's chances to bloom into Smash Brothers. This can also be posted on Tumblr:

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Love it, WolfBunny. It really shows your passion for the series. ^^ Think I know what I'm switching to later in the year!

Someone posted a picture of an Intelligent Systems pamphlet as part of a Paper Mario Wii U leak - they're using it as proof they're legit. It's got Mallo on the front cover (meh), but it does list the Panel de Pon games inside with the rest of the stuff they've worked on, so it's nice to see the series isn't completely forgotten. Hopefully that bodes well for the future!

Edit: Here's a picture.

Last edited:

Kawai nic

Smash Apprentice
Oooh... Looks like we cannot have the Year of Lip this year, cause this is already The Year of Mario.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Just because it's Mario's 30th doesn't mean we can't also celebrate Lip's 20th. A milestone's a milestone.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't think a 30th anniversary would be celebrated that much. 20th and 25th are more commonly celebrated.

:231:

MainJPW

M.T.A
That's because they wanted to make him look closer to his clay model/design, which lacked the colored eyes and blushed cheeks.
I think it looks fine.

And good luck on the model, can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't think a 30th anniversary would be celebrated that much. 20th and 25th are more commonly celebrated.

:231:
Yeah, they're not really doing too much it seems, mostly just Mario Maker. There may be another spinoff announced, but we're not getting any main games for a while.

D

Deleted member

So, as it turns out, Chibi-Robo is getting an amiibo. While not directly related to the topic at hand, at least that shows Nintendo is willing to produce amiibo even for the more obscure characters, even if they're not in Smash. In case the fairies ever get to reappear, that fact gives one slight hope of getting a Lip amiibo then... provided they even resurrect the entire franchise in the first place. Currently it's all about Dr. Mario and Pushmo/Pullblox when it comes to puzzle games, which is kinda a shame.

That's because they wanted to make him look closer to his clay model/design, which lacked the colored eyes and blushed cheeks.
We've been over Ness already, no point in bringing him up again. And no, the clay model has slightly blushy cheeks, like in Brawl.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Yeah, if Chibi-Robo of all games is getting an amiibo, that could mean well for Lip. Proves Nintendo still loves even its more obscure franchises. ^^ Here's to hoping!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, if Chibi-Robo of all games is getting an amiibo, that could mean well for Lip. Proves Nintendo still loves even its more obscure franchises. ^^ Here's to hoping!
IF we get a new Panel de Pon, I'd say Lip would get an Amiibo.

EDIT: That said I'd say its fairly likely we could get a new Panel de Pon.

Last edited:

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
Important:
Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure has been confirmed for release on June 11th. Now a puzzle classic has returned on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. Now that Dr. Mario, the puzzle game has returned, it's time we get Panel de Pon on Wii U and 3DS too with online multiplayer! Another way to do so is to continue voting for Lip!

Lip's amiibo would double the size of Garbage Blocks you send. Or it can double the number of garbage blocks sent to your opponents.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lip's amiibo would double the size of Garbage Blocks you send. Or it can double the number of garbage blocks sent to your opponents.
No, please, not something that affects the gameplay itself.

If anything, it should unlock an extra mode, or maybe they can add an RPG mode and you can save data to your Lip Amiibo and take it on the go. Perhaps it'd be a case where there's NFC cards; Lip would just be the only one to have an actual Amiibo (being the main character).

TheWolfBunny

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Patrick
3DS FC
2320-6699-6288
No, please, not something that affects the gameplay itself.

If anything, it should unlock an extra mode, or maybe they can add an RPG mode and you can save data to your Lip Amiibo and take it on the go. Perhaps it'd be a case where there's NFC cards; Lip would just be the only one to have an actual Amiibo (being the main character).
Hmm, good point. Keep your fingers crossed for Puzzle League for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U now that Dr. Mario's coming to 3DS on June 11th!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
The way I see it, they could release two Panel de Pon games at the same time, one "light" version for the 3DS that acted basically as a port of the SNES version with beefed-up graphics, and one for the Wii U that was that plus a lengthy story/RPG mode. The Lip amiibo would let you transfer data between the games. Say, both games would allow you to customize and level up the fairies with an experience system and mix-and-match equipment and gear (like Splatoon), and you could use the Lip amiibo to take the data from one game and transfer it to the other at any time.

Maybe it's a bit work-intensive, but it would be really neat!

(The only real question here is, what would the amiibo do in other games?)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, a puzzle/RPG hybrid wouldn't be the first time it happened, looking at Puyo Puyo here, another franchise that basically doesn't exist in the west. It's saddening when the only Puyo game released in years in the west is just a bonus in a Miku game.

But whatever happens, I hope Nintendo won't try to modernize the artstyle of Panel de Pon like Sega did when they took over te Puyo Puyo franchise. God, do I hate the Fever style.

The same way other amiibo work in other games: outfits, bonuses, etc. Nothing major. It's quite common for an amiibo to work, even if that character is from an entirely different franchise. Some examples from the top of my head:
Hyrule Warriors: money (besides the Link and Zelda(?) amiibo)
Girl's Mode (kinda forgot the western name: outfits
One Piece: outfits
After Burner: skins for the plane

So something like that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, a puzzle/RPG hybrid wouldn't be the first time it happened, looking at Puyo Puyo here, another franchise that basically doesn't exist in the west. It's saddening when the only Puyo game released in years in the west is just a bonus in a Miku game.

But whatever happens, I hope Nintendo won't try to modernize the artstyle of Panel de Pon like Sega did when they took over te Puyo Puyo franchise. God, do I hate the Fever style.

The same way other amiibo work in other games: outfits, bonuses, etc. Nothing major. It's quite common for an amiibo to work, even if that character is from an entirely different franchise. Some examples from the top of my head:
Hyrule Warriors: money (besides the Link and Zelda(?) amiibo)
Girl's Mode (kinda forgot the western name: outfits
One Piece: outfits
After Burner: skins for the plane

So something like that.
The HW Amiibo support either gives you materials or random weapons. For the characters playable in the game, the Amiibo gives you a random Tier 3 weapon. For the Amiibo of characters not playable in the game, its either money, materials, or a random 1 or 2 tier weapon. (Or maybe its stars...?)

The way I see it, they could release two Panel de Pon games at the same time, one "light" version for the 3DS that acted basically as a port of the SNES version with beefed-up graphics, and one for the Wii U that was that plus a lengthy story/RPG mode. The Lip amiibo would let you transfer data between the games. Say, both games would allow you to customize and level up the fairies with an experience system and mix-and-match equipment and gear (like Splatoon), and you could use the Lip amiibo to take the data from one game and transfer it to the other at any time.

Maybe it's a bit work-intensive, but it would be really neat!

I think if they come out with a new Panel de Pon, it'd definitely be on both 3DS and Wii U. That said, I don't necessarily think there'd be any major differences, except maybe the Wii U version could support 8-player local gameplay.

Top Bottom