• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
While I say you probably should've waited another year for that nice even 20, I actually kind of want to see something like this that would do for poor, unloved Lip what the Year of Luigi did for perpetual underdog Luigi... basically rocket her back into the public eye, make her relevant again.

But at the rate things are going, if we ever want anything like this to happen we'll have to get the attention of Nintendo, one of the biggest corporations in the world mind you, and convince them that there's a market for this stuff they aren't seeing. It certainly has more lasting appeal than Codename S.T.E.A.M. - I can guarantee that will sell terribly and die with the steampunk fad.

Cute female characters have a market, so Nintendo would only do well to capitalize on Panel de Pon. New games, merchandise, dolls, maybe an anime series... the sky's the limit, really. They don't have to play up its cutesiness. They know full well not all gamers are male. They don't even have to aim the games/merchandise at the hardcore crowd... just casuals, girls, and the young at heart would suffice. But no, they'd rather drown us in forgettable new IPs (remember Disaster: Day of Crisis? No? Exactly) when there's a perfectly marketable series just sitting here, gathering dust. Why are they so scared to advertise or even reboot a franchise with a young girl in the title role? Do they not know how monumentally successful the My Little Pony reboot was? What makes them think stuff like The Denpa Men would have broader appeal? So many questions, so little answers!

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I support Lip because;

1) Another female character
2) Another new franchise
3) Unique moveset potential
4) Would surprise many fans
5) My wife loves both Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League, and when I showed her this character and explained her origins she was very interested and seemed to wish that the re-skins hadn't of happened. A new Panel de Pon with Lip and her universe in it would likely be well recieved if she was publicized by SSB.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
My wife loves both Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League, and when I showed her this character and explained her origins she was very interested and seemed to wish that the re-skins hadn't of happened. A new Panel de Pon with Lip and her universe in it would likely be well recieved if she was publicized by SSB.
Back in the 1990s when it wasn't "cool" for boys to like girly stuff it made a lot more sense to reskin the games as Tetris Attack and PokePL. That doesn't mean I have to like it, but I understand why it was done. Does Panel de Pon really look like something people would buy twenty years ago if it didn't have brand loyalty behind it?

That said, I find it interesting that in this day and age I've met absolutely nobody who thinks the reskins were an objectively good thing. They're either ambivalent or negative. Says a lot, doesn't it? :)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
So fellow Japan only retro Takamaru just got disconfirmed today. What could this mean for Lip, if anything?
Probably not a lot. It does have me excited though, since that's two more niches (retro, Japan-only) free for her to take, if she takes them at all.

As usual, fingers crossed, and if not, there's always Project M!

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Well, it technically means Lip has less competition as a retro candidate, I guess. That doesn't mean much to me in the long run though because I'm seeing a retro character in general to be less likely.

It does make me more confident in her appearing as an assist, though. I'm pulling for that!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I'm starting to get really concerned about seeing a retro rep at all at this point ><
But maybe with Takamaru in, maybe there's a chance of her being an assist trophy? Maybe...?

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if it ever infected Smashboards, but Gamefaqs had treated Lip and Takamaru as some sort of rivals in direct competition with each other for a playable spot. I never understood why, as they had little in common (aside from both appearing in Captain Rainbow).

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm not sure if it ever infected Smashboards, but Gamefaqs had treated Lip and Takamaru as some sort of rivals in direct competition with each other for a playable spot. I never understood why, as they had little in common (aside from both appearing in Captain Rainbow).
They were kinda seen like that too over here, I think.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Yeah, I think so, too. They were both competitors for "retro rep" and also both were the most likely to be in aside from Mac in Captain Rainbow.
I bet Lip and Taka would be pretty good buddies, though. They kinda make an odd pair, like Ridley and K Rool

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They've both been Japan-only for most of their careers, too - although Takky's about to lose that status. (But Nazo no Murasamejou is older than Panel de Pon, so I guess it evens out?)

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Yeah, I think so, too. They were both competitors for "retro rep" and also both were the most likely to be in aside from Mac in Captain Rainbow.
I bet Lip and Taka would be pretty good buddies, though. They kinda make an odd pair, like Ridley and K Rool
Yeah. Now that Takamaru is an Assist, it'd seem a bit odd if Lip wasn't an Assist either.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see her playable, but I'd be perfectly fine with an Assist. Specially because they make a great duo.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Me too, at this point.
Just as long as she gets something in this game other than her wand, I'll be super happy. Not that I wouldn't think of the game any less if she wasn't in, but I'd just be overjoyed to see her get some love.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I really think that the Lip's stick is intended to be only Panel De Pon representation we're ever going to see in game play. In a way, it's better than an assist trophy since it appears far more often. On the other hand, it doesn't even remotely represent the actual game play of PDP.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I personally am hoping for the best case scenario, but expecting to be disappointed.

D

Deleted member

Aww, that's really disappointing... but it's your decision.
Would you mind posting the WIP file? I'm sure someone else would take over. You did a lot of it and it's a shame to see it all go to waste. Heck, I would like to just have it to look at o_o
No sorry, the whole folder is a mess in the current state, remove one thing and it can break. And sending the whole folder doesn't work either because of the size and I don't feel like tidying up the whole thing.

@Taigiry: Can I have your WIP if you're gonna cancel it? Or at least, pics of the backgound and main platform as separate PNG's? I'd enlist you as a modeler, but it looks like that's not the best idea, huh?
The main plattform doesn't even exist anymore as the last few updates showed. Also why would you need 3d models if it's a sprite based game? On that note, why would you need a modeler, when a spriter would be far more useful? As for the whole enlisting me as a modeler thing, with a very high chance I would've declined anyway, for multiple reasons:
  • I've yet to see a Smash fan-game that impresses me. The two big ones are Cruesade and Flash 2, and those just play weird. And don't get me started on Flash 2's roster and even Cruesade with Goku and Weegee. It's good to have joke characters, but crappy interent memes and unfitting anime characters shouldn't be part of it, in my opinion.
  • I prefer to work alone, I don't like being dependant on other people and vice versa.
But out of curiousity, what would you need models for. If you want, we can take this to PMs, I suppose.

When in doubt, base it off Battlefield. I think what you have with two to four platforms symmetrically dotted about the stage would suffice.
And I did say above, that a Battlefield clone is the last thing I would want to do.

As usual, fingers crossed, and if not, there's always Project M!
Now with how often you bring this up, let me ask you, what's wrong with vanilla Brawl? Someone's rigging the model to get her into Brawl, I worked on a stage, but all you do is bring up P:M. That's not a nice thing to read all the time, that makes it sound like the whole thing was not good enough for you and just a waste of time. If that's not how you mean it, sorry, but to me it certainly does sound like suddenly vanilla Brawl is not good enough.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Since Taka was deconfirmed, I am really hoping the retro character (if there is one) is either Duck Hunt Dog or Lip.

Any of them playable would make me really happy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm not entirely positive anymore on seeing Lip making any kind of on-screen appearance due Lip's Stick and Kirby still keeping her garbage block, but at this point I'd be pretty happy to see her in any form if so. Also she'd keep company to Takamaru, haha-

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I'm not hopeful either, as my signature will attest, but we'll hope for a surprise.

Now with how often you bring this up, let me ask you, what's wrong with vanilla Brawl? Someone's rigging the model to get her into Brawl, I worked on a stage, but all you do is bring up P:M. That's not a nice thing to read all the time, that makes it sound like the whole thing was not good enough for you and just a waste of time. If that's not how you mean it, sorry, but to me it certainly does sound like suddenly vanilla Brawl is not good enough.
Oh no, don't let me discourage you at all! D: Vanilla Brawl is just fine, really getting to play as her in any form is enough for me. The reason I keep bringing up Project M is because it's a big project (IIRC the most extensive mod of a console video game ever?) and has major visibility in tourneys and the like. Including Lip among the entirely new characters in the roster would, I believe, help to spread exposure of this obscure series outside of Japan, or even in general.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Lip can bring a pretty neat little niche as an AT. Yes, Kirby has Garbage Block, but I don't think it matters. Just have Lip pop up, stand in the background and drop one MASSIVE Garbage Block on the stage. Lip's chances may have increased slightly, but I still don't think she's playable. I'd love to be proven wrong, though. At the very least, she needs AT status I think.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I've yet to see a Smash fan-game that impresses me. The two big ones are Cruesade and Flash 2, and those just play weird. And don't get me started on Flash 2's roster and even Cruesade with Goku and Weegee. It's good to have joke characters, but crappy interent memes and unfitting anime characters shouldn't be part of it, in my opinion.
The Creator already said that the only reason Goku, Naruto, and Ichigo are in Super Smash Flash 2 Is because of the grandfather cause, and they will be the only anime characters in the game.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Now that I think about it... could Goku's appearance in Super Smash Flash be the reason he was as heavily requested as he was for the fourth game?

Maybe putting Lip in SSF isn't such a bad idea after all. ^^

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Now that I think about it... could Goku's appearance in Super Smash Flash be the reason he was as heavily requested as he was for the fourth game?

Maybe putting Lip in SSF isn't such a bad idea after all. ^^
I don't know if that is a reason, but I have seen multiple people use that as a reason why Goku has a chance.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I've been looking on Gamefaqs and it looks like most people think Lip is the front runner for a retro rep.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I've been looking on Gamefaqs and it looks like most people think Lip is the front runner for a retro rep.
I've always thought Lip was a frontrunner, but I came here and saw people talking about Takamaru and Mach Rider. At this point I think Lip is the mostlikely retro rep to be playable... that said, its not necessarily a guarantee by any means. We might not even get a retro rep this time.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The retro reps have always been my favorite.
It will quite urk me to not get them, because they are quirky and cartoony individual reps of a franchise, always with much personality.
I guess I took them too much as a given.

Lip is too perfect. I don't really know why Lip would not qualify- she has been forgotten completely by Nintendo, why does it matter if she debuted on their 4th gen console SNES versus the 3rd NES?

I'd still say, given lack of younger cute female reps, she fills a female niche we have yet to see, and that Sakurai may have wanted to get the more hardcore girls revealed first before showcasing her to avoid the backlash of
"oh, so you are adding girls, and they have to be fairies"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
My Support for Lip as our Retro Representative is going full force. If I had 6 spots in my signature, she would now be the sixth.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Takamaru being an assist trophy leaves me with mixed feelings. Lip pretty much has no competition and would certainly be a unique fighter which is what Sakurai is looking for (probably why Taka didn't make the cut) but since I'm not sure if there will even be a retro fighter this time around her chances haven't really changed that much.
BUT WE CAN STILL HOPE FOR THE BEST!

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
Oh man, you guys are starting to raise my hopes, literally after a day or two after I said I lost them all XD

I really don't know what to think about her anymore. I think I'm gonna try to remain pessimistic, so if she isn't in I'll see it coming, but if she makes it in I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

So hope for the best, expect the worst, I guess

Hong

The Strongest
This is from the Brawl hype days.

If only. .・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
STILL annoyed that pokemon trainer was male only.
Prior to this game, though, Sakurai didn't bother with cross-gender characters like that. Wii Fit Trainer was the first to do it. If Pokemon Trainer made it into this game, Pokemon Trainer would have a female version, too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is from the Brawl hype days.

If only. .・゜゜・(/。\)・゜゜・.
So far, only one of them has made it into SSB4, but as a mere collectible trophy. :(

If Takamaru can at least make it in as an AT, why not Lip?

Hong

The Strongest
A Panel de Pon character would be a hilarious AT. Drop garbage blocks down that are deadly to get crushed by, but fighters can stand on them until she disappears. *~*

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Oh man, you guys are starting to raise my hopes, literally after a day or two after I said I lost them all XD

I really don't know what to think about her anymore. I think I'm gonna try to remain pessimistic, so if she isn't in I'll see it coming, but if she makes it in I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

So hope for the best, expect the worst, I guess
The hope is real!

This is exactly my train of thought. It's great if she's in, but if not, that's okay.

D

Deleted member

I'm actually starting to wonder if we will actually get a retro rep this time. If not, that would be the first time, I think.

The Creator already said that the only reason Goku, Naruto, and Ichigo are in Super Smash Flash 2 Is because of the grandfather cause, and they will be the only anime characters in the game.
I don't care about the reason, fact is, they are in the game, the game, that's all that matters to me. And if they could get rid of the terrible Sonic fan characters and Mr. Incredible, I see no reason why they couldn't get rid of the anime characters as well.
I doubt it, there have always been that many people who want Goku, Ichigo, etc in the game. It helps that Dragonball, Bleach, One Piece and so one are some of the best known animes in general.

Top Bottom