• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Well, I thought she was a fairy, but I'll admit I haven't see her with wings in her artworks. :p
Ruby's the only one with wings. I'd assume Windy has some flight powers because she's a wind fairy, but everyone else seems more terrestrial.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ruby's the only one with wings. I'd assume Windy has some flight powers because she's a wind fairy, but everyone else seems more terrestrial.
Either way, I'd love to see her, and I think she'd be a great "Retro" rep... Unfortunately I'm not sure if we'll be getting any retro reps in this game.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Either way, I'd love to see her, and I think she'd be a great "Retro" rep... Unfortunately I'm not sure if we'll be getting any retro reps in this game.
Which frustrates me, because, again, I remember Sakurai mentioning he wanted to revive old series by including them in Smash Bros. towards the beginning of development, but so far as we can tell every newcomer has seen a new installment in their series within the last five years. There's even a little "Want to learn more about [character]? Visit the official website for [recent release]!" tag on most of their pages. Pac-Man and I think Mega Man are the only exceptions, and that's most likely because they're third-party.

Lip is exactly the kind of retro character that would benefit from a revival, especially in an environment like today's where quality entertainment for young girls is not just expected but encouraged. (A friend of mine even compared the art style of the games to Disney Fairies.) But no. Buy the games Nintendo actually likes!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Which frustrates me, because, again, I remember Sakurai mentioning he wanted to revive old series by including them in Smash Bros. towards the beginning of development, but so far as we can tell every newcomer has seen a new installment in their series within the last five years. There's even a little "Want to learn more about [character]? Visit the official website for [recent release]!" tag on most of their pages. Pac-Man and I think Mega Man are the only exceptions, and that's most likely because they're third-party.

Lip is exactly the kind of retro character that would benefit for a revival, especially in an environment like today's where quality entertainment for young girls is not just expected but encouraged. But no. Buy the games Nintendo actually likes!
I loved Panel de Pon... er, well, Tetris Attack. If they brought it back with cute characters, I'd still play it. The games are freaking awesome. But its boring without the characters to play with.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice

Lip is exactly the kind of retro character that would benefit from a revival, especially in an environment like today's where quality entertainment for young girls is not just expected but encouraged. (A friend of mine even compared the art style of the games to Disney Fairies.) But no. Buy the games Nintendo actually likes!
That's actually a brilliant idea.
Having played smash games and never having heard of the Ice Climbers game, Fire Emblem and even Game n Watch etc it makes you so curious about those games/want to play them. I think adding a character from a "dead" franchise and then come out with a new game to revive said franchise would just be absolutely brilliant.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
We'll most likely get at least 1 new retro rep. I think it might be a character he spoken of in the past, a well known one or one we won't see coming. Here's who I think it might be:

Lip: Has a weapon in 2 smash games already and small easter eggs/references.

Mach Rider: Sakurai rebooted her/his look but only for a trophy. He could take over Snake and Ganondorf's move set while getting a teleport recovery and wario's bike special.

Muddy Mole: Forgotten retro character that was created by Miyamoto. He could bring an interesting dig mechanic and playstyle.

Takamaru: Seems like the most likely retro character. But after Sakurai's quote on sword fighters he might not be a shoe-in.

Sukapon: Character from Nintendo's first fighting game and wild card that would surprise people who are familiar with him or not. It would be great to have him along side the other copy characters Kirby and Mega Man.

Out of these choices I still want Lip first due to her potential play style with puzzles and the lip stick.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We'll most likely get at least 1 new retro rep. I think it might be a character he spoken of in the past, a well known one or one we won't see coming. Here's who I think it might be:

Lip: Has a weapon in 2 smash games already and small easter eggs/references.

Mach Rider: Sakurai rebooted her/his look but only for a trophy. He could take over Snake and Ganondorf's move set while getting a teleport recovery and wario's bike special.

Muddy Mole: Forgotten retro character that was created by Miyamoto. He could bring an interesting dig mechanic and playstyle.

Takamaru: Seems like the most likely retro character. But after Sakurai's quote on sword fighters he might not be a shoe-in.

Sukapon: Character from Nintendo's first fighting game and wild card that would surprise people who are familiar with him or not. It would be great to have him along side the other copy characters Kirby and Mega Man.

Out of these choices I still want Lip first due to her potential play style with puzzles and the lip stick.
I think Lip out of these have the most potential for a unique and interesting moveset. Sami, frankly, would be a far better pick to take over Snake's moveset and Black Shadow for Ganondorf's moveset, I can't imagine Mach Rider being a clone of either one. Takamaru could be unique, but I don't see how his shurikens would bring that much new to the table, and other than that he's just another sword fighter like Chrom.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
This is really minor and somewhat irrelevant of a note, but the majority of the fairies do in fact fly or float. Lip and Sherbet are actually the only ones who don't.

I really want another retro rep this time around, but I'm a lot less confident in it happening than I was before, seeing how much Sakurai is focusing on well known and recognizable characters now. I guess a retro could still appear as a low key secret character, but I dunno.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This is really minor and somewhat irrelevant of a note, but the majority of the fairies do in fact fly or float. Lip and Sherbet are actually the only ones who don't.

I really want another retro rep this time around, but I'm a lot less confident in it happening than I was before, seeing how much Sakurai is focusing on well known and recognizable characters now. I guess a retro could still appear as a low key secret character, but I dunno.
Here's hoping. A low key secret character is the only way I see one getting in at this point.

D

Deleted member

On the whole flying/floating thing, I just wanna point out two things. Not very important, but I feel like they should be mentioned:
as shown in the Game Cube sequel (therefore technically making it Furil and not Lip, but whatever, close enough for me), Lip's Stick actually can make the user fly in a magic bubble. Best suited as an entrance or recovery move though.
And Lip herself has been shown to float when using magic in Captain Rainbow. And knowing Smash Bros, I wouldn't put it past them to look at various other games for inspiration, canon or not.

Just my two cents on that matter. Having Lip fly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
On the whole flying/floating thing, I just wanna point out two things. Not very important, but I feel like they should be mentioned:
as shown in the Game Cube sequel (therefore technically making it Furil and not Lip, but whatever, close enough for me), Lip's Stick actually can make the user fly in a magic bubble. Best suited as an entrance or recovery move though.
And Lip herself has been shown to float when using magic in Captain Rainbow. And knowing Smash Bros, I wouldn't put it past them to look at various other games for inspiration, canon or not.

Just my two cents on that matter. Having Lip fly wouldn't be out of the ordinary.
I don't think it would be either, but that said, the Magic Bubble idea sounds like an excellent recovery move!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I guess it really says something when there's information about a series that's undeservedly obscure to begin with that I, the guy who came up with the idea for Operation Save Lip, didn't already know... You learn something new every day I guess!

D

Deleted member

Well, I'll admit currently I'm unsure how the layout of Lip's stage should look, so while I still figure that one out, I decided instead of doing nothing, I start making background elements:
Can you guess what these things are? I'm sure you can, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They're blind Electrodes with wings on top of them. Why? : P

D

Deleted member

They're blind Electrodes with wings on top of them. Why? : P
Pfft, everyone know that eyebrowless is the way to go, haha. Seriously, Electrodes without eyebrows is the best thing i've seen all day:
So cute.

And so that the post isn't completely off-topic, four background islands done, four more to go:
The good thing is, they don't need to be detailed, on account of being far away. That saves a lot of time. So yeah, Flare's island is next. But really, I just needed an excuse to post that Electrode, haha.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I thought it was Elias's. Stage order (for the fairies) goes Windy->Sherbet->Thiana->Ruby->Elias->Flare->Neris->Seren.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys I was curious how Lip's moveset would classify according to this list. (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I imagine Lip to be a bit of a Ranger, dropping things like Garbage Blocks to force her opponents to stay away from her and at the same time, use Trickster properties as a way to trick her opponents into sometimes run into her so she can finish with a Smash Attack.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I imagine Lip to be a bit of a Ranger, dropping things like Garbage Blocks to force her opponents to stay away from her and at the same time, use Trickster properties as a way to trick her opponents into sometimes run into her so she can finish with a Smash Attack.
How would she deal with Speedster Rangers like :toonlink:?

D

Deleted member

I thought it was Elias's. Stage order (for the fairies) goes Windy->Sherbet->Thiana->Ruby->Elias->Flare->Neris->Seren.
Yes, I know, I accidentally skipped her and noticed it shortly after I wrote this. And that despite Elias having my favorite stage music. How dumb of me, hehe.

Doesn't matter anyway, all eight background islands are done, but no picture for now. I wanna give them textures tomorrow before showing them.

D

Deleted member

Alright guys, as I said the background islands are done and now textured (was pretty easy, because they don't need any details):
and I'm toying around with the distance and height between them and this is what I came up with so far (subject to change though):
so now I can fully concentrate on Lip's island again.

And speaking of which, I'm currently thinking of the layout and made two rough drafts of it:
The blue stuff on the right is a placeholder for the garbage blocks and the flower on the left is one of those plattforms you can fall through when pressing down. The vine is just background.

Truth to be told, not really fond of either of them, so I wanna ask if any of you guys have any suggestions?

Also I'm sorry to say, but I decided to take a little break from it and do some other stuff in the meantime. So, yeah, sorry, but always working on the same stuff kinda burns you out. Especially when you're alone and have still have to do the textures, UV maps, layout, etc.

Also unrelated, but where do you guys get those SSB4 character support stickers from?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@TaigiryDuuuuuude, you're really going far out with that stage at the moment!

You know what I suggest? Take elements from Green Greens (Melee)! I made this one post ages ago about how tha stage seems to almost resemble a potential stage for Panel De Pon-franchise. I'd like seeing the rainbow arcs connect islands together in the background.

@ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon
it was established that Lip's a "poisoner"/"sapper" in means of her moveset in the community due Lip's Stick. The second post in this thread has CAS-moveset compiled by plenty of the members in this forum that showcases this.

Also, didn't know about Magic Bubbles with the Stick... would that make it a bubble wand?

Jokes aside, I always imagined Lip doing floating with her magic, but in Smash Bros she'd be clumsy about it in a way that she can't keep herself afloat long and fells on her bum. Something cute~

Alsoooooo - I remember having a Lip RP Blog, but it's been ages I RP:ed there (also I'm not very active RP.er anyway). Incase anyone wants to just check it out: http://fairy-of-flowers.tumblr.com/

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I would like this character as well, but there are other characters who have more priority in my chart. Anyway, put me in the supporters if you want, I like the moveset ideas in the op and the gimmick of switching the items like the panels is ingenious.
Probably she will not be in though, since the Lip's Stick is still an item (it should have been part of her A moves I think).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Enjoy. :)

Nice renderings.
Thanks very much, I'll be sure to check this out later.

@TaigiryDuuuuuude, you're really going far out with that stage at the moment!
Is this a good thing? Never heard that phrase before, so I'm genuinely somewhat confused.

You know what I suggest? Take elements from Green Greens (Melee)! I made this one post ages ago about how tha stage seems to almost resemble a potential stage for Panel De Pon-franchise. I'd like seeing the rainbow arcs connect islands together in the background.
Well, the rainbows are a given, of course. Kinda pointless to add them at this point though, when the background is still subject to change.

This is what I need opinions about. Are the islands too far? Too close? The heights not varied enough? And what about the fighting location? Are those drafts good? Should plattforms be changed around, added or removed? I don't wanna make the stage unbalanced, but I also don't want it to turn out boring. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I know most of you are still trying to hold onto hope that Lip is actually in the game, but I'm planning ahead for the worst case scenario. Do you think it would be possible for us to make enough noise to get Lip added as DLC? She's only second on my own priority for DLC, but I certainly want Sakurai to know that there are westerners who want Lip to appear in Smash, and possibly re-appear in her own franchise as well. We know that Sakurai has a preference to Panel de Pon, so it is a strong possibility.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thanks very much, I'll be sure to check this out later.

Is this a good thing? Never heard that phrase before, so I'm genuinely somewhat confused.
Sorry about that, I say you're doing exceptionally good with crafting that stage. (-lol-)!

Well, the rainbows are a given, of course. Kinda pointless to add them at this point though, when the background is still subject to change.

This is what I need opinions about. Are the islands too far? Too close? The heights not varied enough? And what about the fighting location? Are those drafts good? Should plattforms be changed around, added or removed? I don't wanna make the stage unbalanced, but I also don't want it to turn out boring. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
On the backgorund islands, maybe bit too close? I thought we'd see perhaps few close, and plenty in the distance (think like a rendered version of Green Green's "planet" below the stage with it's tiny islands.) Rainbows could maybe be bridged to connect between the islands.
I dunno what all can be modeled to the stage, but I kinda think we could borrow the idea of Green Greens' Star Blocks and have blocks fall on to the stage's center section where there'd be platforms? Like they'd fill in these "spaces" (think !-blocks in SMW when not activated) and create interesting shapes of platforms to fight on.

Just an idea though now, but I wanna hear your thoughts.

I know most of you are still trying to hold onto hope that Lip is actually in the game, but I'm planning ahead for the worst case scenario. Do you think it would be possible for us to make enough noise to get Lip added as DLC? She's only second on my own priority for DLC, but I certainly want Sakurai to know that there are westerners who want Lip to appear in Smash, and possibly re-appear in her own franchise as well. We know that Sakurai has a preference to Panel de Pon, so it is a strong possibility.
Hmmm, you really caught my attention here. If we ever, EVER could be able to voice ourselves up to their ears, everything plaguing Panel De Pon could get averted big-time, especially with the note that Sakurai places special things for PdP-representation.

I dunno if it's possible though. I'd certainly what Sakurai and also I.S to know along that we'd love to see more PdP in the future more importantly.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip was actually more requested in the West than in Japan this time, I think. Not that that means much, since "Girl games don't sell!"

If/when it turns out Lip isn't in the game (initially) and DLC is ever announced, we're going to have to take action. Organize a movement to let Nintendo's western branches know that we know about these fairies, we love them, and we want them to come back. We're going to have to let our voices be our vote, we'll have to be heard, and we'll have to be serious. If we ever want them in English - officially in English - well, Smash Bros. isn't a bad place to start.

Speaking of voting, have another reminder that Lip is a newcomer candidate for Project M. We still need your help if we ever want her playable!

Hmmm, you really caught my attention here. If we ever, EVER could be able to voice ourselves up to their ears, everything plaguing Panel De Pon could get averted big-time, especially with the note that Sakurai places special things for PdP-representation.
I dunno if it's possible though. I'd certainly what Sakurai and also I.S to know along that we'd love to see more PdP in the future more importantly.
This. This this this this this this this this this this. THIS.

NoA and NoE aren't content with simply being convinced that "girl games" won't sell - they want to actively erase anything to do with PDP's original characters from anything released outside Japan. This is exactly what they were doing with EarthBound (which was at least translated into English...) until very recently. Again, it's going to take some serious campaigning and proof of our love for this series and its characters to make that chane.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lip was actually more requested in the West than in Japan this time, I think. Not that that means much, since "Girl games don't sell!"

If/when it turns out Lip isn't in the game (initially) and DLC is ever announced, we're going to have to take action. Organize a movement to let Nintendo's western branches know that we know about these fairies, we love them, and we want them to come back. We're going to have to let our voices be our vote, we'll have to be heard, and we'll have to be serious. If we ever want them in English - officially in English - well, Smash Bros. isn't a bad place to start.

Speaking of voting, have another reminder that Lip is a newcomer candidate for Project M. We still need your help if we ever want her playable!

This. This this this this this this this this this this. THIS.

NoA and NoE aren't content with simply being convinced that "girl games" won't sell - they want to actively erase anything to do with PDP's original characters from anything released outside Japan. This is exactly what they were doing with EarthBound (which was at least translated into English...) until very recently. Again, it's going to take some serious campaigning and proof of our love for this series and its characters to make that chane.
I think the only DLC campaign that has any chance of ever succeeded is for a widely and extremely popular character like Ridley or K. Rool. That's about it. I'd love to hope for Lip as DLC... I just don't think it'd ever happen. I don't even think Chrom has enough fans to turn the tides, and he has far more popularity than Lip does.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I really don't care about Project M, so I won't really be of any help in that regard.

Now if someone were to hack Lip into SSB4 (without trying to make the game into sodding Melee), I'd be fully behind that.

Though all of my support for Lip is now in the DLC department, her and Rayman being my top priorities.

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I don't much care for Project M myself (it being owned by the same company as Snake is not an excuse to shoehorn in a Castlevania stage, sorry), but I like to think of it as being a first step to getting Lip in an official Smash Bros. game. The competitive community of SSB is, as you know, huge, and Project M is, as you also know, popular with said competitive community. If we can get Lip into P:M, that's an excellent way to spread her exposure:

The more people who like playing as Lip in P:M, the more who will use in tournaments.
The more people who use her in tournaments, the more who will know about her.
The more who will know about her, the more who will vote for her when the next official SSB rolls around.
And the more who will vote for her when the next official SSB rolls around, the sooner we can finally get around this stupid Panel de Pon embargo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On the backgorund islands, maybe bit too close? I thought we'd see perhaps few close, and plenty in the distance (think like a rendered version of Green Green's "planet" below the stage with it's tiny islands.) Rainbows could maybe be bridged to connect between the islands.
As I said, I know about the rainbow, but there's no point in adding it before I settled for the island locations. But speaking of which, so they should be even further away? I'll try that.

I dunno what all can be modeled to the stage, but I kinda think we could borrow the idea of Green Greens' Star Blocks and have blocks fall on to the stage's center section where there'd be platforms? Like they'd fill in these "spaces" (think !-blocks in SMW when not activated) and create interesting shapes of platforms to fight on.
I don't want to go overboard with gimmicky stuff though. I want it to be simple and easy to fight on. Well, I'll keep it in mind.

@Taigiry: Do you mind if I use that stage for a project of mine? (when/if you finish it?) :)
Well, I'm not opposed to it, but if you don't mind me asking, what do you need it for?

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I thought you were programming a custom moveset for her? But that sounds fine too!

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
If you're sure that's not too much of a workload for you, then by all means go ahead!

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
They're both pretty work-intensive.

All of this modeling wizardry has gotten me interested in making a Lip model for another game, like Mario 64 or MK Wii or something, but I'm good at starting things and terrible at finishing them. (And no one would download it anyway.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I suppose my little break is over, haha. Thought it would last longer, but apparently not. I haven't done much, just started the background land:
Next time I'll have more to show to you guys, promised.

K. I'm beginning preliminary development on a SSB fan-game and Lip is playable in it. She'll need a home stage. ;)
I see, good luck with that.

Actually, I put the Brawl moveset on hold for now and am focusing on my game's engine.
How's the rig coming along anyway, do you know? It's been over a month and there hasn't been so much as a word or single pic. I kinda have the feeling it has been quietly canceled.

Top Bottom