• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Puzzle League/Panel De Pon General (Former SSB4 Lip Support Thread)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm actually starting to wonder if we will actually get a retro rep this time. If not, that would be the first time, I think.

I don't care about the reason, fact is, they are in the game, the game, that's all that matters to me. And if they could get rid of the terrible Sonic fan characters and Mr. Incredible, I see no reason why they couldn't get rid of the anime characters as well.
I doubt it, there have always been that many people who want Goku, Ichigo, etc in the game. It helps that Dragonball, Bleach, One Piece and so one are some of the best known animes in general.
I've been thinking we won't get a retro rep this game, either. The fact that it would be the first time is surprising, though. Right from the start I always did think Lip had the best chance, so I'm hopeful, but I highly doubt she'll make the cut now...

D

Deleted member

Ah hell, I simply couldn't stop after I finally got an idea of how the layout should be. Still too lazy to make proper textures... I'm just not an artist.

Luminario

Smash Lord
Ah hell, I simply couldn't stop after I finally got an idea of how the layout should be. Still too lazy to make proper textures... I'm just not an artist.
So far it looks fantastic. I can only imagine how beautiful this would look finished.

hey guys imagine a side scrolling Panel de Pon stage that scrolls right to left and has you battle on each fairy island thingy with a small rainbow in between them. Just food for thought.

D

Deleted member

So far it looks fantastic. I can only imagine how beautiful this would look finished.
You shouldn't get your hopes up. A bad texture can even make the best model look bad and, well, I'm not good at making textures.

hey guys imagine a side scrolling Panel de Pon stage that scrolls right to left and has you battle on each fairy island thingy with a small rainbow in between them. Just food for thought.
Not gonna happen with this one, haha. But regarding this idea, I would prefer if it didn't turn out like that. I have a general dislike for moving/transforming stages.

I like it. :) Nice job!
Thanks, but why are you always ignoring my questions directed at you? Didn't see them or is it something else?

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Thanks, but why are you always ignoring my questions directed at you? Didn't see them or is it something else?
It was certainly not my intention to ignore, I must have forgotten to answer, is all. I only saw this one. "Why the 3D models?" It's because I can't sprite or model worth ****, and I remember saying it's 2.5D. For the sprites, I'm using BrawlBox snapshots to create and edit in PS. I want it to look somewhat presentable, you know? And regular, handdrawn sprites would clash with that style.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I'm loving that stage! I think the islands should progress in a circular shape, though, rather than a straight line. That way they're a bit easier to see.

As for that moveset/concept thingy, I've seen it before. It's great. I'm glad the creator of this decided to go with the other fairies for palette swaps instead of just random made up/generic stuff. The only thing that bugs me slightly is the description, which states that Lip is considered to be one of the strongest of the fairies. If I'm recalling my Panel De Pon lore correctly, Lip is actually considered to be one of the weakest of the 9 fairies, which is why she carries her wand around. It helps her keep up with its extra magic power.

I'm such a nerd

D

Deleted member

I never really saw Lip as a tomboy or having a tomboyish side... Sherbert or Flare, yes, but Lip? I dunno.

Also unrelated, but with the new stuff I learned while making the stage, I kinda wanna remade the Lip model now. Ah well, I'll think about it. I already have other stuff in mind.

It was certainly not my intention to ignore, I must have forgotten to answer, is all. I only saw this one. "Why the 3D models?" It's because I can't sprite or model worth ****, and I remember saying it's 2.5D. For the sprites, I'm using BrawlBox snapshots to create and edit in PS. I want it to look somewhat presentable, you know? And regular, handdrawn sprites would clash with that style.
I see. Well, I asked what other stages you have in mind and suggested taking it to PMs. Unless you don't want to, of course, but confirmation would be nice, haha.

I'm loving that stage! I think the islands should progress in a circular shape, though, rather than a straight line. That way they're a bit easier to see.
How do you mean? Mind drawing up a sketch? Doubt it will happen, because the islands are very low-poly because you never see them that well.

Last edited by a moderator:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
I never really saw Lip as a tomboy or having a tomboyish side... Sherbert or
Flare, yes, but Lip? I dunno.
The bio screen you get if you wait around long enough on the title screen calls Lip an おてんば otenba, which translates to tomboy (It's a loanword from the Dutch "ontembaar", meaning untameable.) Since she doesn't act or look very masculine otherwise, I think it's to do with the somewhat more masculine speech patterns she sometimes uses (iku zo!) or her use of the pronoun "atashi" which is informal and highly casual-sounding but still feminine. Or both.

On a side note, Sh[a/e]rbet and Flare do use the masculine pronouns boku and ore, respectively.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Do they? Where does this occur? I'm very curious.
Sherbet during the ending and Flare at least during the intro to her Stage Clear stage.

So, you know, useless trivia for you. ^^

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Don't know what Duck Hunt Dog is doing there. He's the least forgotten of any character on the poll. But it's good to see Lip is doing well at least! (With my vote she's tied with Donbe and Hikari.)

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I threw in a vote too.
I said it in that thread, but I think it's worth saying here too, that after Takamaru got the cut, it seems Lip is getting a lot more popular. Not that it really makes a difference in who might be in and who might not, but it's nice to see a wee bit more support...
I kinda wish the subtitle of this support thread would change to not be so pessimistic, however... It's kinda been hanging out that way since the direct ^^;

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
It's great to see one of my most-wanted characters for Smash 4 (and one of my most beloved video game characters in general, heheh) get supporters, even if it's not a whole lot. Finding anyone who knows who she is and thinks she'd add something new and entertaining to the SSB series, or even Nintendo in general, makes me feel happy.

While the subtitle probably should be changed at some point, I think some degree of pessimism is still appropriate since whether or not Takky is out as a fighter, the odds are still kinda stacked against her right now.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I voted Lip too. I don't think any other character in the list deserves to be playable, and my forgottens (Adeleine, Syrup and Tatanga - that's one of the most forgotten character of the whole Nintendo) aren't in, so she was a mandatory choice.

It's disturbing seeing how a rumor can influence the opinions of the people. There is a rumor about the Duck Hunt Dog, and now it's the one with most votes... It happend before with the chorus kids and shulk as well.

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
So then... hi. I'm new here to Smashboards, and though I've have been browsing this site since back when Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS was revealed at E3 2013 I'm kind of unfamilar with how things work and all but...

Yeah, just posting a comment here to say I support Lip for Super Smash Bros, preferably in a playable role and hopefully within this coming instalment of Super Smash Bros. I'm quite confident in there being at least a retro series rep addition to this SSB, and with the most likely retro series candidate having been disconfirmed recently, am feeling quite hopeful as of late that Lip has her chance to become playable. Okay, there are still plenty of other strong contending retro series rep candidates (Mach Rider, Bubbles, etc.) but I'm looking at it optimistically.

Also, I've seen quite a few people with this thread with most wanted character stamps including ones featuring Lip; mind if I ask how I get these myself?

Hong

The Strongest
So then... hi. I'm new here to Smashboards, and though I've have been browsing this site since back when Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS was revealed at E3 2013 I'm kind of unfamilar with how things work and all but...

Yeah, just posting a comment here to say I support Lip for Super Smash Bros, preferably in a playable role and hopefully within this coming instalment of Super Smash Bros. I'm quite confident in there being at least a retro series rep addition to this SSB, and with the most likely retro series candidate having been disconfirmed recently, am feeling quite hopeful as of late that Lip has her chance to become playable. Okay, there are still plenty of other strong contending retro series rep candidates (Mach Rider, Bubbles, etc.) but I'm looking at it optimistically.

Also, I've seen quite a few people with this thread with most wanted character stamps including ones featuring Lip; mind if I ask how I get these myself?
Welcome to SmashBoards. ^~^

You can find them here. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Hope you enjoy yourself on our friendly and ever-growing community. :D

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I found it here http://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-signature-icons-thread-last-update-12-02-2014.336081/

Edit: sorry I'm late -.-

Last edited:

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Welcome to SmashBoards. ^~^

You can find them here. If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Hope you enjoy yourself on our friendly and ever-growing community. :D
I found it here

Edit: sorry I'm late -.-
Thank you both, I'll be sure to ask for more help if needed. Actually, I guess there is one other question I could ask. I remember seeing throughout a lot of the character threads people saying stuff along the lines of 'put me down as a supporter'. Is there some sort of list where members are noted down as supporters or is it a self-signed matter?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Thank you both, I'll be sure to ask for more help if needed. Actually, I guess there is one other question I could ask. I remember seeing throughout a lot of the character threads people saying stuff along the lines of 'put me down as a supporter'. Is there some sort of list where members are noted down as supporters or is it a self-signed matter?
Its not a self-signed matter, the topic creator of each thread can update the supporters list, if there IS a supporters list. Its all based on what the tc of the current thread wants to do. Although I'm not sure if the tc is still active in this thread.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In this case, it's @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ , and who is indeed active and a pleasant member of our community.
Well, I checked Young Horsetail's listing and saw that Young Horsetail has posted recently, although it doesn't appear he's posted in this thread, lately.

Still, @ Souldin Souldin , I'm sure you can PM @ ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ if you want to be added to the supporters list... ACTUALLY, I just checked the supporters list, I'm not on it, either! So yeah, Young Horsetail, if you check this out and add Souldin, add me as well! :D

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Welcome to the boards Souldin! I really hope Lip shows up, if not as playable, then at least an AT. Assist Trophies are about to house an All-Star cast as big as the playable characters in means of popularity and fan-favourites, after all.

Also no need to PM, just tag me up, like you just did @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman - Anyway, I added plenty recent supporters up now.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Welcome to the boards Souldin! I really hope Lip shows up, if not as playable, then at least an AT. Assist Trophies are about to house an All-Star cast as big as the playable characters in means of popularity and fan-favourites, after all.

Also no need to PM, just tag me up, like you just did @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman - Anyway, I added plenty recent supporters up now.
I think Lip has actually gotten more likely, although its iffy. If we do get a retro rep this time, I think Lip is the #1 pick. Although frankly I thought that would be the case long before I heard about Takamaru.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I think Lip has actually gotten more likely, although its iffy. If we do get a retro rep this time, I think Lip is the #1 pick. Although frankly I thought that would be the case long before I heard about Takamaru.
I agree that Lip has become the #1 pick once Takamaru left the building. Even still, people wondered why Kirby's Block attack in Melee looked the way it did, so people did some research and discovered Panel De Pon.

Then there is Lip's stick in Melee. Tons of people did not know where it came from and were curious enough to look into it.

Those who supported Takamaru to have a Japanese Authentic, or Japanese Cultured, character in Super Smash Brothers will move on to Donbe and Hikari.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty much. Still, I would have done anythin' to see Mac being joined with Takamaru and Lip... they would have completed the trio of under-appreciated retro reps. Maybe some other time. But eh, it's still far way before the game's released.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I agree that Lip has become the #1 pick once Takamaru left the building. Even still, people wondered why Kirby's Block attack in Melee looked the way it did, so people did some research and discovered Panel De Pon.

Then there is Lip's stick in Melee. Tons of people did not know where it came from and were curious enough to look into it.

Those who supported Takamaru to have a Japanese Authentic, or Japanese Cultured, character in Super Smash Brothers will move on to Donbe and Hikari.

This is honestly exactly why I think Lip has a great chance to be playable. She's been represented since Melee, and is still represented now. Panel de Pon was extremely popular, as well. There's still plenty that can be done with a Panel de Pon moveset.

The main reason I want Lip, though, is just because I absolutely loved Tetris Attack, and then later I found out that flower item called "Lip's Stick" was actually from the Japanese version of the game, and I really like the idea of a character based on that style. We've never had a puzzle game represented in this game before, either, though, except for Dr. Mario, and he didn't even have a puzzle game moveset.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is honestly exactly why I think Lip has a great chance to be playable. She's been represented since Melee, and is still represented now. Panel de Pon was extremely popular, as well. There's still plenty that can be done with a Panel de Pon moveset.

The main reason I want Lip, though, is just because I absolutely loved Tetris Attack, and then later I found out that flower item called "Lip's Stick" was actually from the Japanese version of the game, and I really like the idea of a character based on that style. We've never had a puzzle game represented in this game before, either, though, except for Dr. Mario, and he didn't even have a puzzle game moveset.
Not just that consider this:

There is a good deal of interesting mechanics they could draw from using just the basics of her game series. Plus she seems like the sort of "not a fighter, and yet much more" kind of character Sakurai said he's looking for this time around.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I think Lip has a great chance to be playable.
I don't.

Yes, Lip has had her series represented since Melee. Yes, Panel De Pon was a bit popular at a time. The question I worry about, though, is "Would today's audience know or care about Lip? Is it worth bringing her back?"

In this installment, Sakurai is pretty clearly focusing on characters that are well known and instantly recognizable by the audience, as well as characters that have been promoted a lot in recent and upcoming games (Rosalina and the Fire Emblem characters are good examples). Lip has too many obstacles in her way to be considered amongst them, I think. She's obscure, she's Japan-only, she's rarely requested even in her home country now days, and worst of all, her series is currently dead. I don't really see Sakurai going out of his way to bring her on to the roster over so many other characters unless IS has any plans to revive Panel De Pon.

Sakurai has added obscure characters as retro reps before, but I'm not sure if Lip even has the same qualifications that previous retro characters have had. Her playstyle could be unique but I don't think it'd be groundbreaking (Ice Climbers), she doesn't have extreme seniority or importance (G&W, ROB), and as far as I can tell Nintendo isn't planning to do anything extra with her (Pit, sort of ROB). She just feels really unlikely when it all adds up.

Please prove me wrong, Sakurai...I want her so badly.

Top Bottom