• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I think this is my first post in this thread, but I've been following it and P:M for a while. Are there any P:M/Melee players in Bergen County, NJ? I'm looking for some competition.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Lol when I first saw someone say wavedash OoS didn't work I thought they were BS'ing since I never had any issue doing it. I assume it doesn't work like in Melee. Something about the L and R buttons being read as the same thing?

Anyway, almost every time I WD offstage for an edgehog, I fly away from the ledge w/o grabbing it. Is it just me?

Edit: ok now I remember what I was originally going to ask. If you figure out how to change what animations are interrupted by the rang, can you make it so his crouch animation isn't interrupted? A minor thing but I see no reason why not.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
The reason why people say you can't wd oos is because in brawl, L and R are read as the same button while in melée, L and R both act as shield but are read as two different buttons. You can wd oos in Project M but you just have to release L/R and then hit the same button again in one quick motion, I think.

:phone:

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
The reason why people say you can't wd oos is because in brawl, L and R are read as the same button while in melée, L and R both act as shield but are read as two different buttons. You can wd oos in Project M but you just have to release L/R and then hit the same button again in one quick motion, I think.

That's how I've always done it xD
My R button is set to attack for DAC anyway so @_@

Another thing(s): Is link going to get the 2 bomb out at once limit changed to be like Melee? Or is it kept at 2 due to his bomb drop being better(I thought he could drop it onto the ground like this in melee but it was just harder)? If anything it'd be cool to have it at 3.

Also, I think I remember reading that his pivot grab comes out slower than his regular grab. Could that be sped up to come out like 2 or so frames faster than his normal one?

And is it possible to speed up the tether reel-in animation? Like how it was really fast if you sweetspotted the ledge in Melee. Maybe a little slower if that's too fast.

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman

I find it helps WD oos if you use a non-shoulder button for shielding purposes. If I'm using, say, the A button, I can quickly release it and use a shoulder button for the wd.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
lol PMBR member doesn't even remember their own blog post where WD OoS is possible with light shield on one trigger and full press on the other.

Not that that is particularly practical.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
lol PMBR member doesn't even remember their own blog post where WD OoS is possible with light shield on one trigger and full press on the other.

Not that that is particularly practical.
because airdodging requires a full press and everybody holds the shield button all the way down when shielding <_<.

Revven

FrankerZ
lol PMBR member doesn't even remember their own blog post
It's MonkUnit, I don't really understand what's funny about that. Not sure if you ever realized but he's not always on top of everything and tends to forget details especially since he works at his job hours and hours everyday.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
!

Brawl Vault is gone!

*EDIT* Ok, nvm, apparently they just had server load issues. Also why I posted this in the Project M thread, I will never know.
kc-mm.com
dantarion.com
and all related subdomains are down
including project m svn

They will be back in an hour, sorry everyone.
currently acquiring masses of currency so that this wont happen again! First downtime that is my fault in like 5 years

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It's ok man. Take your time.
Odd that this is the first time I slept at odd hours and a finding wasn't found.

The chain was broken.

Maybe if I go back to sleep....

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
It's MonkUnit, I don't really understand what's funny about that. Not sure if you ever realized but he's not always on top of everything and tends to forget details especially since he works at his job hours and hours everyday.
I remember character specific stuff a lot more than I do gameplay mechanic stuff. :laugh:

I wish I didn't work all the time; that way we might stream more.
Also, I'll be inviting YoshQ and Geko over to my house in a few weeks, so we will probably stream that. :)

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
So would WD OoS work if I used L for shielding and R for AD? Or would I have to do some funny button release/press combination? These last posts confuse me :urg:

Cause I already play like that lol

The_Guide

Smash Journeyman
So would WD OoS work if I used L for shielding and R for AD? Or would I have to do some funny button release/press combination? These last posts confuse me :urg:

You could do it with one button if you wanted to. I sometimes use the A button for both shielding and wavedashing (I use tap jump, so the motion isn't that tough).

Its just a bit harder on the shoulder buttons, since you have to completely release them before you can attempt the wavedash.

Magus420

Smash Master
because airdodging requires a full press and everybody holds the shield button all the way down when shielding <_<.
I don't =P. I ease off after pressing it to just above the click, and try to avoid clicking it in general unless I'm trying to PS, for those odd times clicking for a normal shield would prevent me from being able to tech something.

It would only not work if you hold the click on one and then try to click the other. If you let off the click at any point before clicking the other (or reclicking the same button) to airdodge it will work. In the current demo though you need to have both buttons released completely before trying to airdodge.

MaxThunder

PM Support
kc-mm.com
dantarion.com
and all related subdomains are down
including project m svn

They will be back in an hour, sorry everyone.
currently acquiring masses of currency so that this wont happen again! First downtime that is my fault in like 5 years
Dude... you don't need to apologize... considering how much you have done for everyone... you're awezome=)...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
People are too used to having a space animal (or Falcon) involved in their matches, which generally make the matches shorter because they're high risk/high reward characters.

Most matches involving other character combinations last anywhere from 3-5 minutes. Then there's Peach/Jiggs/Samus matches which last even longer.

We've got a few PM characters that will fit into that spacie+Falcon time bracket. Matches involving ZSS, Ivysuar, Ike, Diddy Kong,or Lucario tend to not take very long in my experience.

Ledge occupancy seems to be the biggest factor for P:M matches being longer (it's harder to gimp people)

Another large contributing factor to PM matches being to long is the fact that momentum is not carried after techs in PM, while it is in melee. If you crouch cancel->teched something in melee you'd still have to find a way to counteract any remaining knockback from the attach, while in PM you just stay in that spot after the tech (and people accidentally do this quite often in both games, only in melee you'd die anyway after most of those, while in P:M you live)

There's also the idea that matches can get shorter as players get better with their characters. They learn how to combo more efficiently, how to edgeguard more efficiently (yes the opponent gets better at recovering, but for most characters this still won't compensate for the powerful edgeguarding of the other player), and how to punish mistakes harder in various situations.

Honestly I'm not too concerned with most of the new recoveries. If we ever get ledge occupancy, they'll all become much more gimpable (many of them are already actually. People just need to learn how to edgeguard with characters who weren't good in melee)

and i have no idea why you chose m2k and top players in the world as an example of someone technical when there are amateurs just as technical as m2k, hungrybox, mango, pp, amsah, etc
He chose M2K because he's often referred to as "a robot."

crush

Smash Master
Not everyone is as technical as M2K or any of the top players in the world...
that doesnt really have anything to do with it at all... pm demo games take longer than melee because the game is slower (imo most of it has to do with how much better recoveries are and ledge occupancy) not because the people playing aren't as technical as the top melee players

and i have no idea why you chose m2k and top players in the world as an example of someone technical when there are amateurs just as technical as m2k, hungrybox, mango, pp, amsah, etc

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
This stream is making me realize that Project M still has matches that are too slow. A minute per stock is too long.
Depends on the matchup and the player. It's not necessarily the game.
I usually shave off a stock in the first 30 seconds. Then my opponent plays more defensively and the next takes longer so the match goes to 4 minutes.
It could also do with whether or not the player was successful in setting up gimps and edgeguards at lower percents.

/commentisn'tcontributingbutIdiditanyway

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Depends on the matchup and the player. It's not necessarily the game.
I usually shave off a stock in the first 30 seconds. Then my opponent plays more defensively and the next takes longer so the match goes to 4 minutes.
It could also do with whether or not the player was successful in setting up gimps and edgeguards at lower percents.

/commentisn'tcontributingbutIdiditanyway
It's input, and lets people know how other people's matches go. My matches usually take 3-5 minutes, and I'm willing to reckon it has something to do with the DI, unless that stream was of a dev build. All depends on the players, whether their DI or defensive game is good, or their ability to recover is good.

Or maybe it's some kind of lingering stench from vBrawl.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
It's input, and lets people know how other people's matches go. My matches usually take 3-5 minutes, and I'm willing to reckon it has something to do with the DI, unless that stream was of a dev build. All depends on the players, whether their DI or defensive game is good, or their ability to recover is good.

Or maybe it's some kind of lingering stench from vBrawl.
Ya I know it is. Just giving unneeded responses.

My longest now are like.. 4:20. If that's the case it's generally because it goes down to 1 stock each.

Lingering stench.. It might be o.O
But also, the devs aren't necessarily pro players so the crushing 2 minute offensive domination that the top players accomplish might not happen with them. I'm sure they're still good though. I didn't see the stream so I don't know if that's the case. I'm not a pro either so I'd be in no place to say anything lol.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
For snake's nikita what if you made it so it explodes if it takes a certain amount of damage instead of just tanking through it? It would make it more useful for edgeguarding I think. Right now when I was playing snake out of nothing to do he dropped a missile on me and even though I cut through it with my spin like 4 times I didn't get hit. I think if it exploded after like.. 10-14 damage it might be more useful? But that could potentially nerf other uses for it. I don't use snake but I figured I'd throw this out there.

Another thing could be an ability to cancel out of it w/o having the missile drop. Like how if you're using it and get hit the missile continues on a linear trajectory until it falls.

I know someone will say "not every move has to be useful." True as that may be, these ideas are still there and I figured I'd post them.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
3-5 minute range here, averaging around 4.

Sometimes matches run to time, but it's very rare.

I think snake's nikita is useful the way it is, maybe a bit less knockback when it's hit. Not too much or too little. Enough to throw it off, but not enough to ruin it.

It's nice for baiting enemies and punishing them if they fail to fall for it. It's a psych game.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Wtf, where were all you RI players when I went to college there?

Now the new question is, are there any official PM playtesters in MA?

D

Deleted member

PM matches take too long?

They seem to be on track except for like every Sonic match I've ever witnessed.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Are we getting any new stages with the patch? Like Kongo 64?
Or are you saving those for the final?
No I'm not going to bother just downloading them. I'd rather have them all official n' stuff :3

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Ah. It'd be nice to get Kongo 64 too. I kinda miss that stage. They should add the DK island thing with the waterfall from Melee. The one with the rock on the bottom right. I miss that stage. Not really tournament viable but it's still cool.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
IDK If JCaesar used KJ64 on stream, but we have removed the moving barrel for now because it doesn't function like it does in melee. It just had collisions on it so it was a moving block. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
we intended to release the patch like a few weeks to a month after the demo release, so content addition wasn't really considered much. but since it's been a significant amount of time since the demo release, and masses of advancements in game mechanics, character design, and stages have happened, most of us aren't against adding content. absolutely no guarantee on characters, but added stages in comparison to the demo is very likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom