• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
This boggles my face O_o.
Stems from when I started with competitive Brawl. L allowed me to press jump and (side) B almost simultaneously so I could perform perfect IAPs. I wouldn't be able to move my hand from X to B fast enough without accidentally hitting A first and doing a SH Fair instead. And god help me if I ever willingly use tap jump.

Similarly, I changed Y to grab and Z to attack so I could Boost Pivot Grab and Boost Smash more effectively, and I always stuck with that even in Brawl+ and P:M. IAPing is stupid hard with 0 buffer though. Makes waveshining seem like a breeze.

I can't imagine a lot of people here have similar stories...that would require playing Brawl competitively. Hence why it boggles faces :p.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I don't think it is worth trying to convince the Melee players at my college to switch over to Project:M, if some element isn't implemented extremely close to how Melee had it, then they will drop it and go back to Melee, and probably continue to play vBrawl instead since it is some how superior.

The Melee players think that vBrawl is superior to +, -, and 64. I'm not sure that if I choose to try and train in P:M if I'll have anyone worth playing.
1) Wait until Project M is finished, then show it to them. That will likely be the time in which it is ready to be presented to even the most cynical of critics.

2) If they like vBrawl so much, tell em' about Balanced Brawl. Plays almost exactly the same without the usual balance problems, tripping and so forth. I'm sure they'd have little to object about.

3) If the above two fail, find new friends.

@ Thunderhorse+,

My friend who mains ZSS originally mained Toon Link and he has quite the odd set up. I think it was to help him do short hop double arrows. He has B for grab I think, R for jump, X for special, and possibly a few other weird things going on. As a joke we play with his name tag all the time because he can't play Smash without it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Yeah, wth, all the melee players in my area are stoked about P:M. They also understand that it can't perfectly emulate melee, but right now it's pretty damn close and it will only get closer as time progresses. I don't think any sane person would expect P:M to be exactly like Melee, and right now the only major barrier between P:M and Melee is landing detection. Outside of that, there isn't too much that would throw off people's melee game by playing PM.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I would think Brawl DI is more important to fix than landing detection to be honest. But I'm not 100% of course because I don't know how drastically it effects everything.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yeah, wth, all the melee players in my area are stoked about P:M. They also understand that it can't perfectly emulate melee, but right now it's pretty damn close and it will only get closer as time progresses. I don't think any sane person would expect P:M to be exactly like Melee, and right now the only major barrier between P:M and Melee is landing detection. Outside of that, there isn't too much that would throw off people's melee game by playing PM.
DI
10DirectionalInfluences

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@Brawl DI
Yeah, it's different, but you don't have to adjust much techskill to accommodate for it. But you would have to adjust wavelandings and specific timings of things due to the landing detection being different.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Marth still can't double-fair, I suppose... if that's the case, could you make his fair animation faster, so he could?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Marth still can't double-fair, I suppose... if that's the case, could you make his fair animation faster, so he could?
He can Double Fair. I don't know why this myth is still around.

And I'm left handed and I shield/cancel with R.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Been trying to stealth convert my friend to Melee.

Portable GameCube screen is a godsend.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
The new DJC isn't that hard, it's very strange in the begining, but when you get the things right it becomes natural and easy, not mentioning the fact that however you DJC in melee you can still use the new method and the results will be the same.

I am right-handed and I Shield with R, WD with L, and L-cancel with any of those buttons and usually do use the C Stick unless for Fairs and Bairs only when really needed. I think I won't need to change the control scheme. lol

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I don't think it is worth trying to convince the Melee players at my college to switch over to Project:M, if some element isn't implemented extremely close to how Melee had it, then they will drop it and go back to Melee, and probably continue to play vBrawl instead since it is some how superior.

The Melee players think that vBrawl is superior to +, -, and 64. I'm not sure that if I choose to try and train in P:M if I'll have anyone worth playing.
Does not compute.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I shield and wavedash with my R. Sometimes L shield :(

D

Deleted member

And god help me if I ever willingly use tap jump.
Don't you play Falco?

As a Falco main, it is essential to use tap jump to multishine, double shine, shield pressure, and firefox hog amongst other techniques.

Its the best way to do frame perfect JC shines.

Tap jump is the **** once you learn how to effectively use it. Well, it's great for spacies at the very least.

I like how all us Melee players don't make comments on button mapping. Melee is too perfect to need button mapping lol.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
i think its normal to shield and L-cancel with Left trigger.........I'm right handed and i haven't touched the Right trigger in 10 years

Left trigger and Y jump FTW! :D

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Don't you play Falco?

As a Falco main, it is essential to use tap jump to multishine, double shine, shield pressure, and firefox hog amongst other techniques.

Tap jump is the **** once you learn how to effectively use it. Well, it's great for spacies at the very least.

I like how all us Melee players don't make comments on button mapping. Melee is too perfect to need button mapping lol.
Hell yeah, tap jump is awesome when doing shine related stuff, I don't think I could do any of the things I do with Falco as fast without tap jumping.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I have a question about Wario from watching some of Sneak's videos. How come it looks like sometimes his shoulder dash puts him into specialfall and sometimes it doesn't?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't use tap jump for multishines or double shines with falco, I use the Y button. I only use tap jump for JC shines. lol

EDIT: @Hotdogturtle: If you do grounded sideB then fall off the stage or do the shoulder charge jump from the ground, you do not go into special fall. If you do shoulder charge starting in the air, you go to special fall.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I need to L Cancel with Z because the L and R triggers are too unreliable. There's a space in between where you begin to press the trigger to the point in which the trigger connects with the button to implement input, and that wastes frames and messes up timing. I don't need to fondle my Z button to get the job done the way I have to with the L/R triggers.

If it weren't for light shielding, I would have taken the springs out of my controller forever ago.

a nub

Smash Ace
uh slashy

maybe I'm not speaking for everyone

but none of the melee players at rit like brawl except for the ones who play brawl primarily and melee secondary, idk where you got that idea from. That and I know most of us prefer 64 and the brawl mods to vbrawl. Moreso 64 for me personally, not too crazy about the brawl mods but I'd play them over barlw

Just clearing that up. Cant comment on pm itself now since I havent played it since apex. If it's good I know I'll play it but I'm not dropping melee. I kinda wish I had brought my wii so I could have my own copy of the demo =/

Also maybe I'm just crazy but I cant multishine at all with tap jump. y *****es. Tap jump is still too useful though for firebird ledgestall, shine bair, and some other stuff

Sails

Smash Ace
I play Brawl competitively at New England tournaments with a despringed controller, L to shield and R to jump. I'm right handed too.

What exactly is the point of sharing this info again?

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I play Brawl competitively at New England tournaments with a despringed controller, L to shield and R to jump. I'm right handed too.

What exactly is the point of sharing this info again?
I don't think there's a point, just casual conversation.

Ulevo

Smash Master
New ideas?

Like, I was never able to understand how players could multi-shine in place. The jump buttons are too far off from the B button to do it frame perfectly, and moving the analog stick up and down repeatedly also yielded similar results for me. But apparently you're able to jump out of shield/shine with the C Stick, which makes it infinitely easier.

To be honest, I think a lot of the advanced techniques used it Melee would be a lot less daunting if people actually knew how experienced players go about doing some of these things on the actual controller.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Whoa, wait, you can L-Cancel with Z?

I actually never knew that.

Also, jump cancel shine in place sounds retardedly easy with B-Stick.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
L is just a name. Shield was on the left index finger, unless you held your N64 controller really weird.

Don't you play Falco?

I went to Melee tourneys and mained Falco for over 3 years before Brawl came out...

The only real complaint I had about Melee controls was tap jump. It definitely has its advantages, but I don't really have the fine motor control to cope with its drawbacks.

Hence, when Brawl came out, turning off tap jump was the very first thing I did, and it was beautiful. It basically wasn't until I started playing Project M that I realized I needed it for some things, like JC grabs and up-B OOS, etc.

I've learned ways around this, mostly by setting formerly unused buttons on my controller (Y and R) to jump (well, I guess Y was always jump, but I never used it). Now I don't really have any problems, except for a few Falco-specific things like multi-shining, but I could never do that anyway even with tap jump on.

As for firebird stalling, with 30 seconds of practice, it's easy to do with tap jump off. In fact if you need tap jump on to firebird stall, then you aren't doing it as fast as you could be. I won't deny that tap jump off hurts some other spacey techniques, but Thunderhorse does them all just fine with tap jump off (albeit with a heavily modified control scheme.

Ulevo

Smash Master
L was taunt in S64...
I think the implication is that you used your left hand to Z Cancel in 64, which now rests over the L Trigger, so naturally you would assume that in order to perform L Cancels you would use the same hand/finger to L Cancel/Shield in Melee.

like JC grabs and up-B OOS, etc.
Just wanted to point out that you can do JC grabs without tap jump. Just press X/Y + Grab. I find pressing Y+Z easiest.

Slashy

Smash Lord
uh slashy

maybe I'm not speaking for everyone

but none of the melee players at rit like brawl except for the ones who play brawl primarily and melee secondary, idk where you got that idea from. That and I know most of us prefer 64 and the brawl mods to vbrawl. Moreso 64 for me personally, not too crazy about the brawl mods but I'd play them over barlw

Just clearing that up. Cant comment on pm itself now since I havent played it since apex. If it's good I know I'll play it but I'm not dropping melee. I kinda wish I had brought my wii so I could have my own copy of the demo =/

Also maybe I'm just crazy but I cant multishine at all with tap jump. y *****es. Tap jump is still too useful though for firebird ledgestall, shine bair, and some other stuff
I'm sorry, I got it from Pyro. We also argued last night about Smash 64, which how I got his opinion that he thought Smash 64 was crap.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I am going to be using Z for all L-Canceling now. I think my Ganon just automatically got a bit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom