• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Also you can DJC with the stick by just holding up if you have tap jump on. Just do the initial jump with Y/X and the DJC with the stick.
Edit: Sorry, misread your post. So holding up on the stick doesn't constitute toward holding jump for the DJC then? I'll try that out, but it honestly might feel awkward.

Also, its because i have big thumbs i don't use Y. Kept accidentally hitting A long before the short hop. For others...idk...alphabetical order?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend

Where art thou Mushroom Kingdom 2?
@Slashy, I don't think anyone besides you wants that stage. It is not possible to make birdo shoot out the eggs that you can catch/stand on. I don't think we could recreate the carpet movement to be exactly like melee's either because IIRC it was random movement.
I think some people want the stage, but you are correct about it not being possible, certainly not without more extensive knowledge on stage hitboxes. Plus, you'd have to have a health system for Birdo so that he also tries to retreat if low on health.
Things don't have to be perfect. I think it might be completely possible to make the stage without the grabbable eggs or the retreatable Birdo. But of course, people want the complete accuracy. However, I think it'd be just A-OK if Birdo (with a collision on her head) 'shot' eggs (with collisions on them).

Though really I just want Pidgit and the logs, I miss those most of all.
Oh man, I forgot about those logs. Well, right now, we are busy focusing on other things. If someone wants to go ahead and make this stage, go right ahead. If the stage turns out fine, we can give it the melee data, ie: death boundaries, collisions, etc.
I want the stage, I don't care about the extra things, I just love the lay-out.

so who likes the new green hill zone? it looks great but the sonic icon in the middle can make for some gay infinites(lookin at you fox)
Fox can't infinite in PM.

You Spanish people, here is my revenge! French!

Je me demandais à quoi ressemblait Wolf. Surtout au niveau du déflecteur. Et votre mère était un hamster.
I'll speak Australian then:

Noice.

Does Falco wavedash out of shine feel similar to Melee yet?
It has felt similar to Melee for months, stop asking.

Gotta say, it's baffling why anyone uses X to jump. I mean, when I put my thumb over A the top of my thumb sits comfortably over Y as well so I never have to move my thumb around for aerials. I guess if you have big thumbs that doesn't work?
It baffles me that no one uses Stick to Jump.

iLink

Smash Champion
Edit: Sorry, misread your post. So holding up on the stick doesn't constitute toward holding jump for the DJC then? I'll try that out, but it honestly might feel awkward.

Also, its because i have big thumbs i don't use Y. Kept accidentally hitting A long before the short hop. For others...idk...alphabetical order?
You still need to let go of X/Y when you do the second jump but if you are holding up on the stick to jump then it will DJC. I had the same problem you mention in brawl+ and I ended doing it this way. Felt awkward at first but got used to it. Sometimes I just tap up on the stick twice real quick to do it.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I use stick to jump. Just never for short hopping or or double jumps unless i play a multi hop character like kirby.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I don't see how short hopping is easier with the stick. Then again, my big thumbs rest pretty much over A and X constantly, so I just see it as natural.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I think it may be more or less because I have big thumbs. I usually cover about 3/4 buttons on the controllers with only my thumbprint. I only have to roll my thumb from X to A to get good OoS DJC aerials.

Either way though, like i said, I still have no clue how sensitive that brawl+ DJC system is, never played the game. If it's too sensitive though, i feel it could interfere with things like OoS DJC aerials.
Oh.
Well, as long as you aren't holding a jump button when you press A or hit the CStick, then you DJC.
So rolling your thumb works.
-DD

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I find it hard to get forward/back aerials that way though. Its helpful for those like roy who constantly use Uair, but not so much C. Falcon or Mewtwo.

Starscream

Smash Ace
It baffles me that no one uses Stick to Jump.
Eh, jumping with stick in Smash to me would be like pressing up to jump in a Mario or Metroid game. Completely unnatural for me, especially if I need to control jumping and the direction I'm moving in the air. To me, fewer things assigned to a single button/input the better.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Jumping with the stick is way easier.

Why do you think most casuals don't even know the jump button exists?

But it doesn't allow you to control direction as well so it's slightly inferior in a way.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How the **** do you short hop with control stick?
I don't know if this works in Smash, but try what I saw in a King of Fighters tutorial:

Do up and then immediately move the stick down. The video describes it as doing a super jump in other fighters in reverse input order.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I use X, Y, and R for jumping, all in different situations. I can only consistently short hop with X (I flick the bottom of the button). I can't stand tap jump because it makes it really difficult to utilt and uair without jumping. I can't SHDL with Fox, I have trouble pillaring with Falco, I occasionally mess up wavedashing/landing, and my L-canceling is inconsistent at best.

Yes, I have horrible tech skill. Blame it on my hereditary hand trembling or my unwillingness to practice by myself or whatever. But I still love this game (and Melee), I love the speed and the technicality of it, even if my personal tech skill has limits. And I can still beat the pants off players with 10x my tech skill :reverse: Tech skill can only get you so far. Knowing how to apply it is what really matters, and that only comes from experience.

/mini-rant because ... I'm not really sure anymore, but why not :p

Vigilante

Smash Lord
There are many ways play, or even hold your controler. You can be good with many.

Furthermore, it's as JCaesar said. Tech skills are used in context. Heck, it's not always necessary to tech and is sometimes bad for you. You can wavedash into attacks for example. Application is key.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
with the size of my hands and length of my fingers I rest my thumb on the B A and Y button at the same time and I beleive its probably the best way to hold the controller. I've never messed up by hitting A while moving my hand to the X button this way as my friend does who presses X

Rikana

Smash Champion
It does if you have fast fingers :p
Not a lot of people have fast fingers but even so, you're probably going to miss a few frames in the time where it transition over to a direction when jumping from a control stick. Sometimes it really matters. Such as the match where Mango went Fox against Jigs (bad example of the control stick but good example of how the smallest amount of frame matters), it was against hbox if I remember correctly, where Mango just lost a stock due to rest. He spawned just in time and punished the rest right when Jigs was about to wake up. There's also the fact that its a very common mistake, among average players, who JC uSmash by using the controller and A which leads to accidental few frames of charge animation. Some can simply just hit the control stick up and cstick up for an instant uSmash.

Isai, for example, plays without the cstick. So all his movements involve the control stick.. which is amazing. At least from what I heard.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I don't use the C-stick. I use Y to jump, X to dtaunt, R for utaunt, L for wavedashing/L canceling. X and R are for taunt canceling. IMO Y > X because Y is closer to A and B.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Monk, what about wavedash Oos? You're gonna need both L and R for that unless you don't mind losing those few extra frames.

Edit: that reminds me. Can you still not wavedash Oos when holding on to the other shield button? Err. Can L/R input still be read if either one of them is held on to is what I meant. Last time I remembered, it couldn't.

shanus

Smash Hero
Monk, what about wavedash Oos? You're gonna need both L and R for that unless you don't mind losing those few extra frames.

Edit: that reminds me. Can you still not wavedash Oos when holding on to the other shield button? Err. Can L/R input still be read if either one of them is held on to is what I meant. Last time I remembered, it couldn't.
Sadly, no improvements to that have been made. I was hoping I had a lead for it, but it didn't pan out.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I use both A button and C-stick for all my arials in different circumstances

I couldnt even tell you which I use for a specific move, I would have to do it, and it would be situational.

in general, I use C-stick for up and down arials, but not always.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I do WD OoS with the Y button, I jump OoS with Y and then WD with L. I cannot WD or L cancel with R, it is too awkward for me to even try it. LOL

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
CSticking NAir is cool and all, but I CStick my Warlock Punch.

Also, I too find it awkward to use the R button for shielding/wavedash. Always weirds me out when I see people set their controls so that L isn't shield.

Then I go back to Melee and am all like Whoa, goddamn brawl reflexes. Goddamn R no longer being grab. Z not being attack. DPad not being Shield. CStick being Smashes. Smashes being pretty ******** to angle. AUGH

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
People actually use their L-button for something? Maybe it just makes sense for me to have the button I will be using more on the same side as my dominant hand.

I use L for jump, which isn't as important since I already have X mapped to jump. I use X to jump more often since it again is by my dominant hand and thus makes it easy to just slide it to A, B, or y (grab), but I use L jump for things that require super tight timing like shine-Bairs or IAPs for Falco.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I use A to attack, B for specials, obviously. Airborn moves, the same. I use L to shield, L-Cancel, Wavedash.

I alternate between A + slamming the joystick or the C-Stick for smashes. I might try experimenting with Shield on the Y button.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
L is my only shield button (honestly, did you guys never play Smash 64? It's unthinkable for me to have it any other way). Bad tech skill as I have, I've never had a problem WDing OOS with only the one shield button. I dunno why everyone makes such a big deal out of it.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
People actually use their L-button for something? Maybe it just makes sense for me to have the button I will be using more on the same side as my dominant hand.
The idea behind using L to cancel and to wavedash (and teching for me) is that it makes it less awkward for your right hand when inputting attacks. Since your left hand is generally only messing with the controls and nothing else, it generally frees up your right hand more to do things in this manner.

I still shield with R though.
I use L for jump
This boggles my face O_o.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I use A to attack, B for specials, obviously. Airborn moves, the same. I use L to shield, L-Cancel, Wavedash.

I alternate between A + slamming the joystick or the C-Stick for smashes. I might try experimenting with Shield on the Y button.
I wouldn't like shielding with it, but maybe because you hold the controller upside down it would make it more comfortable.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I use the standard set up. Out of the two jump buttons, Y is used because X is too far away from B, and I can't hit X and A at the same time the way I can with Y and A, so it only makes sense. I use C-Stick for most aerials excluding nair.

Use whatever is logically easiest, I suppose.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I don't think it is worth trying to convince the Melee players at my college to switch over to Project:M, if some element isn't implemented extremely close to how Melee had it, then they will drop it and go back to Melee, and probably continue to play vBrawl instead since it is some how superior.

The Melee players think that vBrawl is superior to +, -, and 64. I'm not sure that if I choose to try and train in P:M if I'll have anyone worth playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom