• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well if you improve ICs in general (faster, stronger), they won't need the CGs or wobbling. That'll come later though I'm guessing. Right now though in melee playing ICs is completely different from playing any other character in the game. It's fun, but it's like a completely different game with wobbling and CGs.

Also, is there a way to make "What Brawl Should Have Been" into a good name?

Luxor

Smash Champion
Random Nana AI would be best IMO, but I've heard it would be hard to code. I'd be cool if Nana just used Uthrow every time too. Combos are cool, infinites not so much. They're not crowd-pleasers, while sick grab combos are. Please make P:M a crowd-pleaser.

Also, is there a way to make "What Brawl Should Have Been" into a good name?
Brawl+ was taken

I R MarF

Smash Ace
ICs throw game is crucial to their playstyle. I don't think they should have both wobbling and brawl CGs but they should have at least one. I am more in favor of their melee style grabs (and wobbling) simply because the ridiculous chainthrows seems a little too brawl and wobbling is more situational than brawl CGs (only a little more though)

Also, how is diddy going? I haven't seen much of him at all.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
ICs throw game is crucial to their playstyle. I don't think they should have both wobbling and brawl CGs but they should have at least one. I am more in favor of their melee style grabs (and wobbling) simply because the ridiculous chainthrows seems a little too brawl and wobbling is more situational than brawl CGs (only a little more though)
How about the crazy grab combos they had in Melee, minus the ******** wobbling and Brawl handoff CGs?

You guys realize no one else in the smash series relies on infinites to be good right? Is it that unfathomable to imagine the ICs being good without infinites?

btw, lack of damage staling is a huge buff to ICs because Popo and Nana used to stale each other's moves in Melee. They now have nearly Peach dsmash* level damage output on like half their moves. No one in this game racks up damage quicker than ICs.

* - slight exaggeration but you get the point

I R MarF

Smash Ace
How about the crazy grab combos they had in Melee, minus the ******** wobbling and Brawl handoff CGs?

You guys realize no one else in the smash series relies on infinites to be good right? Is it that unfathomable to imagine the ICs being good without infinites?

btw, lack of damage staling is a huge buff to ICs because Popo and Nana used to stale each other's moves in Melee. They now have nearly Peach dsmash* level damage output on like half their moves. No one in this game racks up damage quicker than ICs.

Alright, hopefully I don't come off like an *** during this post... sorry if I do.

IMO, ICs with their desynchs easily makes them the most technical characters to play. It isn't easy to pick up and start doing desynched chain throws that can be variable in timing, effectiveness, and percent from char to char and player to player (aside from wobbling, which works over 30). You also shouldn't forget that both ICs HAVE to be present to combo well, recovery well, and even kill effectively. On top of that, ICs have a terrible air game when it isn't combined with their grabs.

Now look at Jiggs, easily the least technical character in the game who already warrants better reward for playing her when compared to ICs. Bair and fair gimps are easier than desynchs and uair to rest is faster and less situational than wobbling.

IMO, if the ICs infinites were "too good" we would have known by now.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
it should be brawl ICs with wavedash and shorter grab range.

problem solved.
No. Brawl ICs are stupid. Infinite Chain grabs are stupid. No.

Another option would be adjusting the ICs throws such that it's not possible to immediately grab again with the free IC, but that also seems like a huge pain.
I personally think that Nana's throws should still be controllable, but make it have REALLY strict timing to be able to throw the opponent from one to the other.

Why not leave in the brawl infinites? It would be the equivalent of wobbling, only harder to do. That also takes out the possible issue of coding in nana's melee "random" grabs.
No. Brawl ICs are Stupid. Infinite Chain grabs are stupid. No.

Because infinites are stupid, basically.

And then we'd have to implement a "no stalling with your stupid infinites" rule.
This.

Inifinites are fine. ICs aren't broken with them, why take them out?
Because they are stupid.

ICs are garbage without infinites. Getting a grab in vbrawl is hard enough, even though you can powershield anything to grab. In Melee nikkas will just run a train all over your **** and nana will die.
Lol. Melee Ice Climbers hardly rely on infinites (hardly as in "not at all" considering how many successful IC players don't even wobble). So, considering this is Project MELEE, I doubt they will need infinites to be good.

Yeah, this guy knows whats up.

Awesome about the damage staling thing, I never even thought about that in Melee xD
Take out wobbling, they don't need it and it is stupid.

IMO, ICs with their desynchs easily makes them the most technical characters to play. It isn't easy to pick up and start doing desynched chain throws that can be variable in timing, effectiveness, and percent from char to char and player to player (aside from wobbling, which works over 30). You also shouldn't forget that both ICs HAVE to be present to combo well, recovery well, and even kill effectively. On top of that, ICs have a terrible air game when it isn't combined with their grabs.

Now look at Jiggs, easily the least technical character in the game who already warrants better reward for playing her when compared to ICs. Bair and fair gimps are easier than desynchs and uair to rest is faster and less situational than wobbling.

This as well.

I think the Ice Climbers should be largely based around de-synching. They should have lots of useful and varied de-synchs for different situations. Continuous de-synching should yield a greater reward for those technical enough to be able to do them.

They should have no easy infinites, any infinite they DO have should require VERY specific timing, spacing, and other variables.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think you're missing the point. We can remove silly infinites (too good or not, they are stupid and poor game design) and make them better in other areas (like they currently are in damage output).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Thank God. Just making sure. I despise Brawl+'s. I swear it's waay too **** hard to hit him out of it and you get killed for even attempting it. I've tried everything.. down air.. f air.. fsmash.. throwing the controller at my brother's head.. etc. and i only manage to smack him out of it 5% of the time.
I love it when spam-bots don't actually advertise anything ;)

I think you're missing the point. We can remove silly infinites (too good or not, they are stupid and poor game design) and make them better in other areas (like they currently are in damage output).
I really just don't want infinites removed if it means we have to force Nana to always up throw (which is boring, no combos out of it, just juggles) or not let them throw from one to the other.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Grim***dango make up your mind about inifinites.

Also shadic, implementing a no stalling with infinites isn't hard at all. No infing past 300%, simple.

ss118

Smash Master
Why? Because it isn't brawl or melee-like?

This is not brawl, but this also is not melee. You guys can do whatever with this game as long as you keep the "soul" of melee. With as much as they(the developers) can do with the game, why would they keep infinites if they(as well as the majority of players) feel it is detrimental to gameplay?

Notice none of the above reflects my view. Because I don't have one.

Edit: in response to grimfandango

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Grim***dango make up your mind about inifinites.

Also shadic, implementing a no stalling with infinites isn't hard at all. No infing past 300%, simple.
Lol, I only just realised how I changed my opinion on infinites half-way through that post. :urg:

Here is my FINAL opinion: Infinites should ONLY be kept in if removing them would take away the Ice Climber's ability to throw opponents from one to the other. If infinites ARE kept in, they should have very difficult timing to perform.

Why? Because it isn't brawl or melee-like?

This is not brawl, but this also is not melee. You guys can do whatever with this game as long as you keep the "soul" of melee. With as much as they(the developers) can do with the game, why would they keep infinites if they(as well as the majority of players) feel it is detrimental to gameplay?

Notice none of the above reflects my view. Because I don't have one.

Edit: in response to grimfandango
Like I said, I don't actually like infinites. I think they are stupid and detrimental. I just don't want ICs to lose a major part of their grab game to remove them if they aren't broken.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Most people who know me know where I stand on IC's. Since I have personal Bias i'm against them I wouldn't be against making IC's into 1 IC lol. However I don't really care about them anymore. I know the MU now so as long as they don't have Wobbling or Brawl infinate Grabs I could care less. If someone pulls off those Desync combos and stuff....well they deserve it imo.

frostymm

Smash Journeyman
I just checked out the new Falco, isn't entirely changing any of his moves to how they were in melee just doing what you said you weren't gonna do; Making it a melee clone? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome and all but I kind of liked it when he was more different from fox.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
I just checked out the new Falco, isn't entirely changing any of his moves to how they were in melee just doing what you said you weren't gonna do; Making it a melee clone? Don't get me wrong, it's pretty awesome and all but I kind of liked it when he was more different from fox.
This argument was already raised multiptle times in the thread(not blaming you). They want to restore the top tiers from melee and make them equally strong as they used to be, which did mean getting falco's old shine, fsmash and nair back, while buffing the lower tier characters to make them better then they used to be.
So you could say they will bring back the melee feel, while keeping the things brawl did good, and adding some of their own ideas to make it even better.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I was disappointed about the changes to falco when i first saw them, but after watching the videos for a while, they've grown on me.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
lol @ people being disappointed at Falco:M

EDIT: Hey eet,.....

"CLOSED ALPHA, NO RELEASE DATE"

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
But why? Why implement more stupid rules in a series that is notorious to other competitive gaming communities for having to for having to strongly regulate how the game is played to make it competitive in the first place.

It's better from a competitive point of view if we were able to push a game and not have to attach a bunch of rules to it, besides the obvious counterpick system.

Rules like these are things people have to come up with to work around the shortcomings of a game. Why would we, as designers, want to leave these shortcomings in to the point of needing a third party to slap a set of rules on the game to improve it?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

But why? Why implement more stupid rules in a series that is notorious to other competitive gaming communities for having to for having to strongly regulate how the game is played to make it competitive in the first place.

It's better from a competitive point of view if we were able to push a game and not have to attach a bunch of rules to it, besides the obvious counterpick system.

Rules like these are things people have to come up with to work around the shortcomings of a game. Why would we, as designers, want to leave these shortcomings in to the point of needing a third party to slap a set of rules on the game to improve it?
Valid points. However we aren't drawing in new gamers to this that aren't already interested in 1 of the 3. After over a decade Most people know where they stand and I don't think changing a few things around is suddenly going to make Halo pro's drop their Xbox controllers and come running.

With that said I do think we should eliminate things while we have the chance so needless extra rules can be done away with.

Sora-kun

Smash Ace
I love it when spam-bots don't actually advertise anything ;)
Wat? Wasn't that me saying something about how i didn't want Link to have his B+ spin? <_<

/missedthepointonpurpose

-silence again-

edit: might as well throw in my opinion. If it were my main, i wouldn't want them to rely on infinites. Not having them means they'll have to have other aspects made better so they could still be just as good (if not better) without them. They would probably become a much greater character overall because of it.
Also,
Grab combos = Legit
Infinites = Bad game design

If they do get an infinite, i agree with grim that they should be very hard to perform.

My opinion isn't worth a **** and i know this. Just putting it out there.

-silence now-

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Yeah, I'm really not sure how that comment was relative. I thought he was just expressing his happiness for the change because of originally having frustration with a different version of the move >_>.

D

Deleted member

Project M is the second most popular search suggestion when typing Smashboards into Google.

More popular than Smashboards Tier List, Smashboards Brawl, and Smashboards Melee...

I though that was interesting.

Probably due to the videos on the Youtube channel.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
oh don't be silly. There's not hype for Project Melee...Everyone hates it.....

funny thing was when I put in spam_ the other day into youtube just for the hell of it and it finished my name....I wonder how many people who didn't know who I was ragesearched for me then said "oh he's not even good, ****ing noob" Then responded to me on this site...lol.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Google actually has a memory for what you individually look up on your browser, so that's the reason for that. When I look up both of those things I get something completely different.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Google actually has a memory for what you individually look up on your browser, so that's the reason for that. When I look up both of those things I get something completely different.
I see...Sometimes things I never look up in my lifetime pop up though ;)...guess it's just random luck. Could also depend on the browsers everyone uses.

OverLade

Smash Hero
If something you've never searched comes up it's probably one of the most common searches. I dunno if it's google or your browser that has access to things you commonly search though.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
If wobbling is removed, I can understand from a design perspective. However, I still think they should still possess a strong chain grab ability, such as dthrow to desynched fair meteor and regrab, as well as possessing their ssbm finishing power (nana dsmashing while popo is holding someone).

D

Deleted member

If something you've never searched comes up it's probably one of the most common searches. I dunno if it's google or your browser that has access to things you commonly search though.
Hmm. I don't think I've ever searched P:M on Google, nor do I claim to know all of Google's search techniques.

My point was that the Project is becoming widely known even beyond Smashboards.

Nicaboy, lol. We gotta play at another tourney again.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
ya man i definalty love the feel of lucas :)

i would have played more but it was a melee tourney and i wanted to play people i dont get to play often.

im digga your pika though :) i might play some this weekend i"ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom