• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
So what changes are being applied to Diddy? I am aware of the fact that trips on banannas are techable, but are there any other changes being done to him? Or was the transition to melee physics very natural?

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
Fox and Falco are almost exactly like their melee counterparts. So yes, Falco has his dair spike and fox has his... uh... dair? I guess it's technically an extremely weak spike. Not sure if that's what you're talking about.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Falco has a spike (dair) and two meteors (side b and dthrow)

Fox has two meteors (dair and dthrow)

Since melee data is being added, it should be the same for physical attacks. However, I think the devs mentioned throws being hardly worked on for any char so the dthrow meteors are most likely not restored... yet.

Then again, I am not familiar with the vbrawl throws. So they could very well already have similar meteor dthrows.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
But why? Why implement more stupid rules in a series that is notorious to other competitive gaming communities for having to for having to strongly regulate how the game is played to make it competitive in the first place.

It's better from a competitive point of view if we were able to push a game and not have to attach a bunch of rules to it, besides the obvious counterpick system.

Rules like these are things people have
to come up with to work around the shortcomings of a game. Why would we, as designers, want to leave these shortcomings in to the point of needing a third party to slap a set of rules on the game to improve it?
make a code that somehow stops infs at certain percents.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Combos > infs. If Dant can make Random Nana AI, I say bring that back, eliminate wobbling, and maybe buff grab combos in some way, like changing up one of their moves to make Dthrow combos work really well.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I like how people fail to realize what is and isn't good design for a competitive/tournament style fighting game.

You have to realize that in a well designed tournament fighting game, that infinites have no place.

But if you're honestly adamant in keeping CGs while removing infinites, you have to set an arbitrary limit. There isnt any other way. There is no pre-made plan or formula or design you can follow. When you burn new ground, you have the pick the direction you go in and whatnot. And that's completely up to you and what you think/feel/believe.

if you can't handle that, then

Or you can just remove the CGs and Infinites completely and redesign the character like they tried to do with Wario and Snake and MK.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Even more of my "SSBM 2" soundtrack and with it, more proof that I have the worst tastes out of everyone here on Smash Boards...
Remember: This is all fantasy (I ofcourse know that audio hacks will be optional)
Rumble Falls
B01 - Junkie XL - Bustin Like This
B08 - No Connection - The Last Revolution
B05 - Queens of the Stone Age - First it Giveth
B06 - Chemical Brothers - Under the Influence
B07 - S.P.Y. - Stormtrooper
B10 - Supergrass - Bad Blood
B02 - Every Move A Picture - Signs Of Life

Temple (Melee)
C03 - Gravity Kills - Guilty (Juno Reactor Remix)
W24 - Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go(Korea)

Pokemon Stadium 2

H01 - Queens of the Stone Age - Song for the Deaf
H03 - Supermercado - Ditch Kitty
H02 - Paul Linford & Chris Vrenna - Most Wanted Mash Up
H04 - Paul Linford & Chris Vrenna - The Mann
H05 - Disturbed - Sons of Plunder

Metal Cavern
A01/A04 - Jerk - Sucked In
A16/A02 - Justice - Genesis
A10/A03 - Blue Stahli - Scrape (Instrumental)

Corneria (Melee)
W08 - American Hi-Fi - Art of Losing
W28 - Rammstein - Engel

Saffron City
H06 - Manbreak - Ready Or Not (Ben Grosse Kombat Mix)
H08 - ILS - Feed the Addiction
H07 - BT & The Roots - Tao of the machine
H09 - The Crystal Method - Born To Slow
H10 - Kid Rock - Bawitdaba
Also, how is Meta Knight going to be redesigned (If at all)?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
But why? Why implement more stupid rules in a series that is notorious to other competitive gaming communities for having to for having to strongly regulate how the game is played to make it competitive in the first place.

It's better from a competitive point of view if we were able to push a game and not have to attach a bunch of rules to it, besides the obvious counterpick system.

Rules like these are things people have to come up with to work around the shortcomings of a game. Why would we, as designers, want to leave these shortcomings in to the point of needing a third party to slap a set of rules on the game to improve it?
there's a point where it's impossible to prevent something from happening via coding/design without at the same time sacrificing something we wish to keep. for example, we want to keep jigglypuff's rising pound, high aerail mobility, slow falling speed, jump amount, etc. as far as her recovery goes, but we don't want puff players to stall with it. what do we do there? there's no way we can program an aspect of jigglypuff without sacrificing this aspect.
solution: ban stalling.

overall though I do see your point and agree in principle, though not always in practice.
Big Blue already has a competitively viable alternative form (I'm not sure if it's actually being added to PM, but it's been made by FrozenHobo already).
a lot of the "+" stages are actually not legal in a Project M setting, and I don't understand why they are in any environment.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Darkshooter, you have Junkie XL, BT, and The Crystal Method. It's apparent that you play a lot of racing game, plus have good taste in music.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
Darkshooter, you have Junkie XL, BT, and The Crystal Method. It's apparent that you play a lot of racing game, plus have good taste in music.

In all seriousness though, yes I do. Ive been playing racing games ever since I first discovered them. V Rally and Gran Turismo were my childhood heroes back then.

ValTroX

Smash Ace
question, is there a way to remove the character collapsing with each other when they are on hitstun?(I believe it's called deadweight) In melee, they only collapsed when they were thrown, not from every attack

Revven

FrankerZ
Fixed already Valtrox, well over a few months now... they only hit each other when someone throws them.

i.e Mario Bthrows and someone is in the way of the person being thrown so the person that was thrown hits them away as well.

I'm surprised no one noticed that being fixed given JCz's streams almost always have an hour or so dedicated to teams...

Ulevo

Smash Master
You have to realize that in a well designed tournament fighting game, that infinites have no place.
According to who, exactly?

I am not arguing my personal opinion on whether or not I believe infinites deserve a place in Project: M or any other fighting game, but not only should you realize this is entirely a matter of perspective, but infinites in Smash Bros. are different than infinites in traditional fighters in many cases, and thus their applicable effects in competition vary. You cannot expect to flaunt an opinion like that “just cause“ and expect to be taken seriously.

If you do not like infinites, sure. I have yet to hear a reason other than not liking infinites as to why they are exactly bad when applicable to Smash (i.e. Wobbling) when they do not create broken characters. Now, if the effects of the infinites do create broken characters, that is an entirely different matter.

shanus

Smash Hero
I finally have a lead on fixing hitlag l-cancels, not working yet, but hopefully soon.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
hes not getting a super make over, but he plays nothing like any of his other brawl counterparts for sure.
Would it be wrong to ask for some gameplay of him in Project M?
Also, heres hoping itll be these four that return to SSBM 2 (If they consider at all):

I finally have a lead on fixing hitlag l-cancels, not working yet, but hopefully soon.
This is why the Smash community loves people just like you.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Stagelist is still to be determined. I just moved a few stages around earlier this week, in fact. We've also not implemented the Stage Engine or whatever, so things may get totally reworked later on.

I will say that I've added a newish stage over Hyrule Temple, and that we're still using SSE Jungle.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why 200% and who gets to decide?

Arbitrary rules are dumb. Lol.
Why not 200%? And why does it matter?
You don't need a specific reason for the percentage and who decides it, it just leads to pointless arguing. If 200% stops stalling (which it would), then who cares?

According to who, exactly?

I am not arguing my personal opinion on whether or not I believe infinites deserve a place in Project: M or any other fighting game, but not only should you realize this is entirely a matter of perspective, but infinites in Smash Bros. are different than infinites in traditional fighters in many cases, and thus their applicable effects in competition vary. You cannot expect to flaunt an opinion like that “just cause“ and expect to be taken seriously.

If you do not like infinites, sure. I have yet to hear a reason other than not liking infinites as to why they are exactly bad when applicable to Smash (i.e. Wobbling) when they do not create broken characters. Now, if the effects of the infinites do create broken characters, that is an entirely different matter.
Infinites lead to degenerative gameplay. This is the same reason we ban stages like Hyrule Temple. Sure, you can technically play competitively on it, but it becomes a game of "Super Run Away Brothers Melee". Just as playing with infinites becomes "Super Infinite Brothers Melee".

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
How about this?

A player should never have their input/control entirely removed from the game. Excluding at low %s when it's still realistic to wiggle out, this is exactly what happens during both wobbling and Brawl infinites. During other combos, you can at least DI, even if you're in hitstun the entire time.

Note that in Brawl you cannot DI if you don't go into tumble, so there are some unDIable combos at low %s in P:M, but we're fixing the ones we can, and maybe our coding wizard will grace us with a more permanent solution.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm wondering, since I'm not particularly familiar with the Melee scene as much as I should be... but when was the last time an IC main won a tournament? I've heard of at least a handful of good/notable IC's, but how much of a threat are they?

This isn't relating much to infinites or anything, I was just wondering.

For the record, though... wall locks are you making a costly, but easily avoidable mistake 98% of the time. You generally have no reason to get wall locked.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Stagelist is still to be determined. I just moved a few stages around earlier this week, in fact. We've also not implemented the Stage Engine or whatever, so things may get totally reworked later on.

I will say that I've added a newish stage over Hyrule Temple, and that we're still using SSE Jungle.
IMO, SSE Jungle should be reduced in size. The platforms seem a little massive. That could just be me though.

Also, could you create a custom stage select screen? One that is divided up into neutrals, counter picks, and banned stages for categories?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm wondering, since I'm not particularly familiar with the Melee scene as much as I should be... but when was the last time an IC main won a tournament? I've heard of at least a handful of good/notable IC's, but how much of a threat are they?
They aren't a huge threat in the modern scene. Wobbles is the best at the moment by a decent margin and he wins pretty big tourneys often. Other ICs who win tourneys sometimes are Chu, Trail, UberIce, and me.

edit: Actually, I'm not sure how often all of those players win tourneys, but they do well nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom