• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
A couple of notes;
1. I am a PMBR member.

2. The decision for the tournament to use 2.6 rather than 2.5 was the choice of the main TO Oracle, who is not a PMBR member.

3. After that decision was made, I immediately requested permission (and was given it) to have smashfests demoing 2.6 so that people could play the new (though unfinished) version and start adjusting to the changes ahead of time. Any players who had drastically altered characters I reached out to personally, when able, and gave them a rundown of what they could expec
sethlon with that REAL TALK

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A couple of notes;
1. I am a PMBR member.

2. The decision for the tournament to use 2.6 rather than 2.5 was the choice of the main TO Oracle, who is not a PMBR member.

3. After that decision was made, I immediately requested permission (and was given it) to have smashfests demoing 2.6 so that people could play the new (though unfinished) version and start adjusting to the changes ahead of time. Any players who had drastically altered characters I reached out to personally, when able, and gave them a rundown of what they could expec
this is pretty much everything i was about to say, well said. we in the pmbr were very worried about this issue and leaned on sethlon to help lessen the blow of a new version to DFW's local players.

as an aside, almost all of the OoS PMBR members ordered their bus tickets or flights before even we were aware we were going to do 2.6.

ripple i'm not sure what the logic of "i'm not saying they DID do it but they COULD have done it and that's a problem" is. the fact of the matter is we didn't, and that's that. the top 3 was also filled with characters that, for all intents and purposes, no one else plays at a relevant level that travels. it's not like the match-up radically changing was an issue, since their opponents didn't have match-up experience to begin with. there were some jokes thrown around about "pm buff room" and that kind of thing but no one that actually attended the tournament had a problem with it in any serious capacity. at any point if a player asked me about a change from 2.5 to 2.6, i obliged with information if i knew it, and i'm sure the other members did the same.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't such a farfetched thing to say, its somewhat reasonable to be skeptical to an extent. On top of that, he wasn't even demanding anything. He just posted his two cents on a certain matter and asked for a response and he wasn't intentionally insulting anybody. Calling him twelve and attacking him aggressively instead of just making a more well-thought out response is silly.

I agree with DMG, the only scenario where I would be even remotely salty would be if one of them used MK or maybe Link and started wrecking everybody's ****, but that didn't happen. No one abused new mechanics, and not much of the non-PMBR players seemed uncomfortable with 2.6. Based on what Sethlon said, I think they approached the scenario in a very reasonable way.
The very premise of the project we are all playing makes his assertion unreasonable. The PMBR aren't being paid for all the work they have put in, this project has involved literally thousands of hours from people who care an absurd amount about this community and game. To try to question their motives over a single event is akin to getting upset at charity workers and volunteers for having an unfair advantage in the workforce. Plus what Sethlon said, and I also highly doubt a big wall-o-text changelog would have made much of a difference in people's placing, fly, strongbad, and Reflex are all just OP as hell.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
yeah. apparently the saturday stream wasn't very good, since the internet at the venue hadn't been used before so no one knew. they decided to save the resources and just get better quality recordings, rather than splitting them and maybe getting a crappy stream AND crappy recordings.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah a few other sets were probably recorded on the recording setup. Idk how many people used it because it looked like it was off a bunch, but I'm pretty sure me vs Rat was recorded and a few others were on Sat.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Terrible terrible analogy.
you really need to learn to make analogies. this goes beyond the argument. you need to learn to make them better

also, I've heard Daze. pronounce his name like 3 different ways on the SGDQ stream.

I've heard :

Daz
Daz-A
Day-z

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I didn't lose at all.

the PMBR just chooses to not bother having a rule about tournaments, PMBR players, and change lists.

which is whatever, I pointed out that there is a possibility of PMBR members taking advantage of that.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Ya guys know how C-stick is so awesome for aerials? Know how C-stick doesn't work for Nair? Yah'know how C-stick set to Attack instead of Smash triggers Nair when you press a diagonal on the C-stick? Well it's got a bunch of random issues besides the fact it makes you do forward tilt on the ground rather than F-smash. I super wish/hope they do something about it. Nair through C-stick is sooo good: take it from metroid people.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I didn't lose at all.

the PMBR just chooses to not bother having a rule about tournaments, PMBR players, and change lists.

which is whatever, I pointed out that there is a possibility of PMBR members taking advantage of that.

The PMBR in no way or form has control over rules at PM tournaments, if people want to ban PMBR from their tournaments that's their prerogative not ours.

All information about 2.6 is available considering the patch is out. The lucas boards already have a complete changelist of their character without the PMBR's help. Should lucas players be banned from tournaments because they figured out the changes to their character?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I am aware the PMBR doesn't have control over tournament rules...

my suggestion was that the PMBR have rules over themselves, not dictate what TOs should do.

and so what if the lucas boards figured everything out about their character? is that official? do they have access to officially confirm it? what about look at everyone else data? What if they ask a BR and they leave something out whether on purpose or unintentional? I HOPE you of all people can understand WHY I can make this argument and how it COULD be a problem. not that it is CURRENTLY.

it's whatever, if you guys choose not to do anything, I can't really do anything about it. my whole argument disappears if there is a changelist WHEN a demo comes out and not after

also, I've tried submitting this message like 12 times. WHY DOESN'T SUBMIT WORK?!

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
I didn't lose at all.

You're not gonna magically get better at P:M just by reading a list.

And the PMBR is not conspiring to program hidden advantages that only they know how to use.

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
So, I would never accuse PMBR of cheating, and LTC did have the choice of using 2.5b instead of 2.6, but I do think Ripple has a point. It's a potential problem that I certainly hope never becomes an issue, and probably never will, but as long as the change lists take so long to be released (12+ days now) this could be a recurring discussion, and I doubt anyone wants to repeat the same things over and over every time there's a new release.

That and OMGWTFBBQ I WANT MY CHANGELIST WKLAJSKLFHGJASJDH:ASKLHGJASLKDJASKGHLA:SJDLAKSHDASGHASLHGASKJHJH:ASFas.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I am aware the PMBR doesn't have control over tournament rules...

my suggestion was that the PMBR have rules over themselves, not dictate what TOs should do.

and so what if the lucas boards figured everything out about their character? is that official? do they have access to officially confirm it? what about look at everyone else data? What if they ask a BR and they leave something out whether on purpose or unintentional? I HOPE you of all people can understand WHY I can make this argument and how it COULD be a problem. not that it is CURRENTLY.

it's whatever, if you guys choose not to do anything, I can't really do anything about it. my whole argument disappears if there is a changelist WHEN a demo comes out and not after

also, I've tried submitting this message like 12 times. WHY DOESN'T SUBMIT WORK?!

If the PMBR were to leave things out when talking to people what's to say they wouldn't do that in the changelog as well? When you are questioning the morals of the group why wouldn't you question the validity of the log as well? There are all sorts of problems that could arise with what you are questioning, but I've already pointed out why worrying about things like that is unreasonable. The only thing a rule like that would do would make the patch release much later while the changelog is worked on.

The lucas players confirmed the data themselves by comparing 2.5/2.6 frame data and hitboxes. Why would they need any official confirming of something like that? Doing it yourself leaves nothing to be forgotten in a change log.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Have you guys forgotten the long established pecking order? C'mon people. From least to most important, it goes

You
The dirt
The worms inside the dirt
A PMBR member's stool
TOs
PMBR

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You're not gonna magically get better at P:M just by reading a list.

And the PMBR is not conspiring to program hidden advantages that only they know how to use.
obviously not to the 1st.

as for the second, I don't think they are, but a PERSON can leave out things

Ripple just stop, your embarrassing yourself
unless you can actually address WHY my argument is bad or why you don't agree with it, you are only making useless posts.

If the PMBR were to leave things out when talking to people what's to say they wouldn't do that in the changelog as well? When you are questioning the morals of the group why wouldn't you question the validity of the log as well? There are all sorts of problems that could arise with what you are questioning, but I've already pointed out why worrying about things like that is unreasonable. The only thing a rule like that would do would make the patch release much later while the changelog is worked on.

The lucas players confirmed the data themselves by comparing 2.5/2.6 frame data and hitboxes. Why would they need any official confirming of something like that? Doing it yourself leaves nothing to be forgotten in a change log.

I would trust an official change log over the words of players because, I'm assuming here, that everyone in the BR can read all the official changes. if something is(n't) that should(n't) be. someone would most likely speak up.

pt.2 when did they do it? 2 days after the release? 3 days? what if you released the new demo the day before a tournament? or 2 days? and they didn't have a changelog then? 2.6 was released on a wednesday that may not have been enough time to figure everything out

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Mad's Perfect P:M:

Option to have light press air dodge in controller settings (for your Tag) for the Offline version (#1 Priority by far, if they fixed the offline/hardpress air dodge to work for replays and didn't add this feature as well I would scream/cry so hard: light press air dodge has a ton of comfort and potential)
Option to have solely the feature of C-stick set as Attack for diagonal triggered Nairs with none of the other issues it has (I'm going to make a video detailing this).
Each character's DACUS was made more lenient in respect to their current difficulty

Things that I wouldn't necessarily implement but I feel make the game more enjoyable (Which I also will make a video about eventually too):

Turning on a 1 frame of buffer (Only one frame)- It allows you to do 1 or 2 frame strict inputs (Like Squirtle's SH Bair waveland) which would otherwise be too hard to anyone but the best of players and even then they would use it sparingly (Also once you get use to doing it a lot and having fun you're one frame away from using it without buffer [Like SHDF with Marth], but the really strict input stuff still sometimes stays inconsistent [SH Bair WL with Squirtle]). Then besides that it just makes the game faster/smoother and stuff which I have to admit would technically be cheating in competitive play but I don't get into "What makes the game fair and not being played on a higher level than it's suppose to be played on" and all that besides just saying I like the game more with it (which doesn't hold much ground, so I agree it shouldn't be allowed in tournaments).

Right now though I'm totally fine and glad with buffer as they implemented it in the Wifi version which is much more needed and for different reasons than it would be for already lagless play (I want to believe one of the reasons Brawl had such a high buffer amount was for Wifi to still feel decent).

pt.2 when did they do it? 2 days after the release? 3 days? what if you released the new demo the day before a tournament? or 2 days? and they didn't have a changelog then? 2.6 was released on a wednesday that may not have been enough time to figure everything out
I think most of the people there got smashfests from Sethlon of 2.6 week(s) prior to release to get accustomed faster for that tourney (as well as Sethlon like he said describing what he could of the changes they might not know). If a release was made like a day or two before a tournament I'd stick with the prior version but I'm not a TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom