• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You want a recovery buff, give Ness super armor while he aims Upb.

Cyclone charge is a bad idea, and doesn't make sense when Mario can use his at any time to rise with it. The only possible lame scenario to develop due to this is Luigi refreshing his cyclone by grabbing the edge and trying to quasi-plank. But who the heck would have trouble with that, given how long and vulnerable he is at trying to do that?

Slashy

Smash Lord
You want a recovery buff, give Ness super armor while he aims Upb
The best buff would be giving him back auto sweet spot ledges so you can be less precise about aiming towards the stage, but I think that is a little too fair.

I think backwards ledge grabbing would still help in a few situations where you launch at the wrong angle or you need to recover after doing offstage gimping

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can still angle yourself into stage walls and follow the slopes right?

Slashy

Smash Lord
You can still angle yourself into stage walls and follow the slopes right?
IIRC he just bounces off of stage walls and sends him flying in the opposite direction. You need to angle yourself perpendicular to stage walls to follow the slopes.

Honestly I'd even like it if you could wall tech after bumping into a wall as a last ditch save

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
So, I got to play P:M with a proper Gamecube controller today, instead of...

THIS dinky thing, and it was like I was playing a completely different game. Everything felt so responsive and precise, whereas with the Madcatz controller, the game didn't feel any smoother than it had in 2.1. I almost wonder if it's the controller that's been the problem for me this whole time.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I played Melee with one of those for a short stint while I waited to get a new one. Let's just say Falcon was off limits lol

GMaster171

Smash Ace
It very well could be, I remember switching from a gamestop controller to a official controller a couple months ago. Took a short time to adjust, but it is true everything is just much more responsive. I can't even use the other controller anymore, its that uncomfortable, clunky and unresponsive, and it just wrecks my playing now.

@Standardtoaster
By this do you mean he bounces under different circumstances? Or is he just never supposed to bounce, cause I can recall on stages like smashville or BF if you caught it really wrong (60 degree angle or more from the stage) you still end up bouncing completely off. Its not too bad tho, if you are caught going at this angle at something, ur probably not going to live anyway.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Brawl basically said screw you Ness

Somewhat made up for it with the auto snapping

NeoZ

Smash Ace
THIS dinky thing, and it was like I was playing a completely different game. Everything felt so responsive and precise, whereas with the Madcatz controller, the game didn't feel any smoother than it had in 2.1. I almost wonder if it's the controller that's been the problem for me this whole time.
I went through 2 of those MadCatz controllers in like a year and a half, but other than them breaking fast I was pretty pleased with them, especially since they were really cheap and came with really long extension cords(and those GBA to GCN cables, but I've never used those).

I use the extension cables to this day.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
White controller with extension cable. Might as well be playing from the sidewalk with that kind of cable length lol.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Why don't you come over this weekend Laijin? There's a bunch of good players here and we're gonna have a tourney on Saturday.
Dude I'd love to, but I still don't have a car man :( Because of the car accident and all that. I'm not gonna have a car till the end of the month =\

I'd have to see if someone is willing to give me a ride. Where is it at?

Yooo

Like... 4 years ago, I was a mere lurker, and I watched ALL your videos (and jash's) to learn how to play YL, and I modeled my YL after you. Now, I'm like.. one of the most well known PM TL's in this game, and part of the BR, but I will forever be your fanboy haha
ily too bro <3 I'm officially back in competitive melee now btw. I'm here to support growing Young Link players and make sure you guys know how to play him :D I'll be playing Young Link almost exclusively in tournament from now on.

I just wanna make sure the integrity of Young Link remains safe in P:M. The iterations I played about 2 years ago, he was shaping up pretty good. Then I played a version of it last year and it disgusting. Adult Link in that version was more like Young Link, while TL was its own unique character that was really boring to play.

If I don't make it to the tournament today I'll definitely play it at College Park next weekend!

`dazrin

Smash Champion
He's similar, but he's a refreshing experience at the same time. I enjoy both characters a lot. Toon Link is the same basic concept, but with a breath of fresh air.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Well I know this is random, but I'm new to this place and I wonder if this is a good place to start.

I know nothing of Smash, but I am interested in Project M because it has more characters I'm interested in than Melee and this is also a huge improvement from Brawl as far as I know.

I'm not sure where to start though lol. Like, how to understand the games mechanics and such.

Laijin

Smash Hero
The way it was described to me years is that their trying to blend Toon Link and Young Link together, but make him more so like Young Link. So like 60% YL and 40% TL. Now I don't really know what he is. =\

Basically, I really don't like the fact that he plays basically nothing like Young Link at all especially when the game is called Project Melee. At least give me my neutral air and projectiles back! Also my upsmash T__T

Edit: I'll reserve my judgement for when I play the latest version. I'll be sure to take notes of the stuff I like/dislike

Slashy

Smash Lord
Well I know this is random, but I'm new to this place and I wonder if this is a good place to start.

I know nothing of Smash, but I am interested in Project M because it has more characters I'm interested in than Melee and this is also a huge improvement from Brawl as far as I know.

I'm not sure where to start though lol. Like, how to understand the games mechanics and such.
For the most part, it's Melee with additional mechanics kept from Brawl. There really isn't a whole lot of learning unless you're playing a newcomer

BrandX

Smash Ace
For the most part, it's Melee with additional mechanics kept from Brawl. There really isn't a whole lot of learning unless you're playing a newcomer
Well the thing is, I am a newcomer. I don't know how to do any of the things the melee players know how to do lol.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman

no comment

Revven

FrankerZ
Basically, I really don't like the fact that he plays basically nothing like Young Link at all especially when the game is called Project Melee. At least give me my neutral air and projectiles back! Also my upsmash T__T
He does have YL's neutral air dude... that's been around for over a year (maybe even longer?!) and his projectiles are YL's lol.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Ah I see. Thanks. Ever since this donation drive, I've become interested in smash again. I thought, what the hell I'll give it another try lol
In all seriousness you might want to check the Project:M dojo at http://projectm.dantarion.com

You will also want to check a list of Melee's AT (mostly you want to focus on universal techniques and not things specific to a single (or small few) character(s).

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Techniques_(SSBM)

And even Brawl's as many of that game's ATs have been kept in P:M

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Techniques_(SSBB)

BrandX

Smash Ace
In all seriousness you might want to check the Project:M dojo at http://projectm.dantarion.com

You will also want to check a list of Melee's AT (mostly you want to focus on universal techniques and not things specific to a single (or small few) character(s).

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Techniques_(SSBM)

And even Brawl's as many of that game's ATs have been kept in P:M

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Category:Techniques_(SSBB)
Oh my god what the hell, there is so much content. Like Holy ****, there are so many damn techniques lol

Slashy

Smash Lord
For the most part you want to focus on the most important stuff

-The Basic Techniques (I.e. how to recover, dodge, attack, grab) most likely since you've played smash in the past we don't need to cover this
-Directional Influence, this is extremely important as it is your main way for avoiding combos
-Smash Directional Influence, similar to Directional Influence in concept but is executed differently, especially with Project:M allowing you to Smash DI with the right stick and DI with the left stick
-Moonwalking (really only useful for fast characters)
-Wavedashing (useful for spacing)
-L-Canceling (Extremely useful, allows you to follow up after landing aerials, or prevent getting punished)
-Tech/Ukemi (Extremely important, but I think you understand this already)
-Footstooling (Somewhat useful for some characters, most notable that you need to use up taunt to use it)
-Fast falling (extremely useful for using aerials on the ground and useful for getting out of tight situations)
-Crouch canceling (extremely useful for surviving at higher percents, but certain attacks can punish this)
-Sweetspots, sourspots (should be in other fighting games, moves have multiple hitboxes that have different effects)

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Tbh, I'm still trying to get down WD. After I do a WD, my character puts up his shield for like half a second even though I let go of the shield button. Still trying to fix it. Learning Smash is a long painful road lol.

And referring to the Luigi recovery buffs a few pages back, I was mainly referring to buffing his Luigi Missile more, like being able to sweet spot the edge and have less landing lag.

Also, I love TL's bair.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Tbh, I'm still trying to get down WD. After I do a WD, my character puts up his shield for like half a second even though I let go of the shield button. Still trying to fix it. Learning Smash is a long painful road lol.

And referring to the Luigi recovery buffs a few pages back, I was mainly referring to buffing his Luigi Missile more, like being able to sweet spot the edge and have less landing lag.

Also, I love TL's bair.

I think I'm having second thoughts at the moment. No 2D fighter I've ever played sounded this complicated and had so many techniques lol. I will admit, Smash is pretty damn deep by the sounds of it.

Well maybe not second thoughts, but jeeze that is a lot to take in lol

But I'll start reading, see what I can learn lol

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I think I'm having second thoughts at the moment. No 2D fighter I've ever played sounded this complicated and had so many techniques lol. I will admit, Smash is pretty damn deep by the sounds of it.

Well maybe not second thoughts, but jeeze that is a lot to take in lol

But I'll start reading, see what I can learn lol
The depth is what attracts so many people to competitive smash considering you wouldn't think all of these techniques were possible at a glance. 2D fighters are a bit easier to get into and learn because you have a place to start(but just as hard to get good at). You can practice specific combos and inputs that the game generally provides for you and then get into the harder mechanics through research. Smash can be overwhelming when trying to find a place to start learning. Starting simple and learning one thing at a time can be very rewarding when it all comes together as it makes the game feel incredibly smooth.

BrandX

Smash Ace
The depth is what attracts so many people to competitive smash considering you wouldn't think all of these techniques were possible at a glance. 2D fighters are a bit easier to get into and learn because you have a place to start(but just as hard to get good at). You can practice specific combos and inputs that the game generally provides for you and then get into the harder mechanics through research. Smash can be overwhelming when trying to find a place to start learning. Starting simple and learning one thing at a time can be very rewarding when it all comes together as it makes the game feel incredibly smooth.
So basically you are saying that, I shouldn't overwhelm myself trying to learn everything at once, but just expand on the basics as I keep playing?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
So basically you are saying that, I shouldn't overwhelm myself trying to learn everything at once, but just expand on the basics as I keep playing?
Yes! A lot of the techniques stem from others and become easier once you understand more general mechanics behind the game. Incorporate one thing at a time into your play and you will understand that mechanic better, rather than feeling the confusion of when to use what specific mechanic in any given situation. When you feel comfortable with what you learn, then move on to something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom